Subject: FVWM: 2.0.38 make/compile probs

From: [email-masked] (Eric Ding)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 16:16:25 PDT

Hi Chuck,

thanks for all your hard work (really!)... now here goes... :)  I'm running
into a couple problems building 2.0.38 (which actually I've had before, and
only now am reporting -- I believe some have been discussed before as
well on the ML):

1) defining FVWM_LIBDIR in configure.h screws up the imake; the top level
Imakefile knows to use the system-wide lib, i.e.,

	imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R5/sun4/lib/X11/config

but then it chokes below that:

	cd libs; imake -DUseInstalled -I/u/ericding/lib/config ...

because it thinks LIBDIR = /u/ericding/lib!  This is bad... so for now I've
simply not defined FVWM_LIBDIR.

2) XPM_INCLUDES is still not being passed down to some directories:

making all in ./libs...
gcc -O -pipe   -I/usr/X11R5/sun4/include       -target sun4 -c  Picture.c

This dies because it doesn't see my xpm.h file in /u/ericding/include...
the variable *is* being used, as far as I can see, in ./xpmroot/Makefile,
though.  For now, I've manually stuck /u/ericding/include in the include
path.  

Same thing happens in ./fvwm subdirectory (icons.c), and in FvwmIconBox
(icons.c). 

3) When I do make install, because I've set FVWM_BINDIR and FVWM_LIBDIR,
these vars are substitute for BINDIR in all the directories; but X11R5 uses
BINDIR for mkdirhier, so that I get this problem (this is the output of
make -n install):

> if [ -d /u/ericding/bin ]; then set +x; \
> else (set -x; /bin/sh /u/ericding/bin/mkdirhier /u/ericding/bin); fi
> install -c   fvwm2 /u/ericding/bin
> echo "install in ./fvwm done"
> installing in ./modules/FvwmAudio...
> if [ -d "/u/ericding/lib/fvwm2" ]; then set +x; \
> else (set -x; /bin/sh "/u/ericding/lib/fvwm2"/mkdirhier "/u/ericding/lib/fvwm2"); fi

Thanks,
Eric
--
1601 Technology Drive                         [email-masked]
San Jose, CA 95110-1397                   <><         PHONE: (408) 437-5068
http://web.mit.edu/ericding/www/home.html               FAX: (408) 437-5246
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].