Subject: FVWM: Converting Graphics -- Update

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:43:29 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, so I compiled the netpbm package and played around with converting.
The doomicon.gif converts pretty well and it's the right size for a normal
icon. However, what started me on this expedition was attempting to make my
own mini icons. I was hoping not only to convert one of the doom graphics
that I have, but also to miniaturize it. I was trying to get out of doing it
myself by hand. No such luck. I can convert doomicon.gif to 16 colors and it
looks pretty good in it's normal size, but when I try to make it tiny, it
becomes unreadable. 

By the way, attempts to convert the doom icons that came with fvwm to 16
colors failed. Or rather, xpaint complains that it can't allocate the colors
when I try to open the files, so obviously ppmquant is using 16 difficult
colors. In fact, I wasn't able to get xpaint to open doomface.xpm until I
converted it to 8 colors (I tried everything from 16 down to 8), and then it
looked really dull.

14x14 is a great size for a mini-icon, but it's tough to work with. Some
people seem to be good at hinting at detail that isn't really there. I have
yet to master that skill.

Gail
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:39:06 -0400

>... I can convert doomicon.gif to 16 colors and it

Not sure I understand exactly what you were doing, but did you try
shrinking/smoothing it first with xv, or even pbmtools?  Then, wouldn't
the conversion process work on the smaller gif?

Just a thought.

tw

--
Well, Bust My Britches!  Eggs Almondine and a bottle of Beaujolais!
                                              - Ole Mulie
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].