Subject: FVWM: How to trap debug messages?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:19:00 -0400 (EDT)

How can I trap debug messages of fvwm? Should I redirect the output
from fvwm > to_a_file in my xinit or use FvwmDebug? I will be
compiling the fvwm2.1.37 tonight, so I want to trap the fvwm debug
messages or error messages to a file.

Thank you.

-- 
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 13:16:37 -0400

>>>>> "chitturi" == chitturi  <[email-masked]> writes:

chitturi> How can I trap debug messages of fvwm? Should I redirect the
chitturi> output from fvwm > to_a_file in my xinit or use FvwmDebug? I
chitturi> will be compiling the fvwm2.1.37 tonight, so I want to trap
chitturi> the fvwm debug messages or error messages to a file.

I recommend using XSession to spawn fvwm if you want to capture it's
debug output.  It's very useful for that.

Also, keep in mind that FvwmDebug is not 100% updated for version 2.xx
and it's only showing messages to the modules (basically) anyways.

Chuck

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:15:52 -0400

>from fvwm > to_a_file in my xinit or use FvwmDebug?

Here is an excerpt from my .xinitrc file, which is complicated by the
fact that some people may be starting fvwm from .Xdefaults.  I have done
it both ways.

      # Start up the session manager and/or window manager.  First,
      # check if user is starting window manager separate from .Xdefaults.
      if test `egrep fvwm $HOME/.Xdefaults | egrep '^[^!]' | wc -l` = 0
      then
         /usr/local/bin/fvwm -f "FvwmM4 .fvwmrc" > $HOME/fvwm.log 2> $HOME/fvwm.log &
      fi
      if test -f /usr/bin/dxsession
      then
         /usr/bin/dxsession -geometry +0+0 > $HOME/dxsession.log 2> $HOME/dxsession.log &
      else
         echo "what system is this?"
      fi

hth,
tw