Subject: FVWM: XEmacs-19.{13,14-b3} and/or fvwm-2pl35 Bug

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:51:18 -0600

I've just noticed some lossage using XEmacs-19.14b3 and fvwm-2pl35. If
anyone has a similar combination, can you please verify or discount
the following? 

After selecting the Restart option of fvwm (Restart fvwm), XEmacs
redisplay of minibuffers is lost. \C-x\C-f doesn't echo in the
minibuffer, and cursor movement keys do not appear to
work. Fortunately, the (blind) input is still recognized so that I can
\C-x 5 2 to get a new frame which works.

Actually, the above happens with XEmacs-19.13 as well, so I'm inclined
to think it's a problem with fvwm-2pl35.

Does anyone else see this behavior after an fvwm Restart?

  -mb-
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:31:09 -0400

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

mb> I've just noticed some lossage using XEmacs-19.14b3 and
mb> fvwm-2pl35. If anyone has a similar combination, can you please
mb> verify or discount the following?

mb> After selecting the Restart option of fvwm (Restart fvwm), XEmacs
mb> redisplay of minibuffers is lost. \C-x\C-f doesn't echo in the
mb> minibuffer, and cursor movement keys do not appear to
mb> work. Fortunately, the (blind) input is still recognized so that I
mb> can \C-x 5 2 to get a new frame which works.

mb> Actually, the above happens with XEmacs-19.13 as well, so I'm
mb> inclined to think it's a problem with fvwm-2pl35.

mb> Does anyone else see this behavior after an fvwm Restart?

I just noticed something like this yesterday, actually, except for me
it was a big chunk of the XEmacs frame that was blanked out (the whole
lower & left hand quadrant).  I haven't looked into it yet.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:27:21 -0600

>> Charles Hines(C) wrote on Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:31:09 -0400:

C> I just noticed something like this yesterday, actually, except for me
C> it was a big chunk of the XEmacs frame that was blanked out (the whole
C> lower & left hand quadrant).  I haven't looked into it yet.

Just as another datum point ( :-) data points? ), I found that I get
the same problem using fvwm-2pl31.

However, I've also had personal e-mail indicating the problem does not
exist with XEmacs-19.11, though I don't know the platform/fvwm version
combination for this latter report. This prompted me to test
XEmacs-19.11 under fvwm-2pl35 here (Solaris-2.3), and I can verify it
works correctly. Unfortunately XEmacs-19.12 is not available to test
here anymore.

So, the problem appears to be related to the (more) hairy handling of
X and/or X events in XEmacs, if not an XEmacs bug itself.

This would be nice to fix (in either fvwm or XEmacs) but if time
pressures don't permit a fix, perhaps a note should be put in a BUGS
file in fvwm. I'd bet a lot of people are moving to XEmacs-19.13 or
later...

  -mb-

---

From: [email-masked] (Ricardo E. Gonzalez)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:40:32 -0700

mb> After selecting the Restart option of fvwm (Restart fvwm),
    mb> XEmacs redisplay of minibuffers is lost. \C-x\C-f doesn't echo
    mb> in the minibuffer, and cursor movement keys do not appear to
    mb> work. Fortunately, the (blind) input is still recognized so that
    mb> I can \C-x 5 2 to get a new frame which works.

I have a similar problem. When I re-start fvwm it will sometime not put
a frame/titlebar  around one of my XEmacs windows. The window will get
focus correctly, it just doesn't have a frame. All the other XEmacs
windows work fine. Using fvwm 2.0-pl33 and XEmacs 19.13 on an SGI
running IRIX 5.3. I have not played around enough to determine under
what conditions the problem can be repeated.

Ricardo

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:08:34 +0100

> Does anyone else see this behavior after an fvwm Restart?

I had this happen *once* (this week) with fvwm-1.22t and GNU Emacs
19.28. I have been using this combination for over 6 months now.

Mind you, I don't do Restart very much now that I'm happen with my
.fvwmrc.

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].