Subject: FVWM: 2.0.38 make/compile probs

From: Todd Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:13:41 -0600 (CDT)

Forwarded message:
> 2) XPM_INCLUDES is still not being passed down to some directories:
> 
> making all in ./libs...
> gcc -O -pipe   -I/usr/X11R5/sun4/include       -target sun4 -c  Picture.c
> 
> This dies because it doesn't see my xpm.h file in /u/ericding/include...
> the variable *is* being used, as far as I can see, in ./xpmroot/Makefile,
> though.  For now, I've manually stuck /u/ericding/include in the include
> path.  
> 

I have seen this personally myself.  I was just about to get my sysadmin
to install fvwm, and was standing there when he was compiling it, when
he showed me that he was going to have to edit every single makefile
for every single module.  Then we left because he suddenly felt tired.

:-(((((

Please could we get this fixed?

Also, could it be setup so that it would simply include <xpm.h> instead
of <X11/xpm.h> ??

My sysadmin wasn't happy about typing: 
ln -s /wherever/xpm/include /usr/local/include/X11

AND then it not letting the sub-makefiles know that /usr/local/include
is supposed to be in the include path...

Laterz,

[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:00:41 CDT

[email-masked] writes:

} Forwarded message:
} > 2) XPM_INCLUDES is still not being passed down to some directories:
} > 
} > making all in ./libs...
} > gcc -O -pipe   -I/usr/X11R5/sun4/include       -target sun4 -c  Picture.c
} > 
} > This dies because it doesn't see my xpm.h file in /u/ericding/include...
} > the variable *is* being used, as far as I can see, in ./xpmroot/Makefile,
} > though.  For now, I've manually stuck /u/ericding/include in the include
} > path.  
} > 
} 
} I have seen this personally myself.  I was just about to get my sysadmin
} to install fvwm, and was standing there when he was compiling it, when
} he showed me that he was going to have to edit every single makefile
} for every single module.  Then we left because he suddenly felt tired.

...same thing here.  our xpm stuff is in a really non-standard place.  i
usually just let make barf, and then edit the source files that make it
barf to reflect the path...i'd really like to see this fixed, and i'd
fix it if i had the know-how. :)

--chris

--
this thing is slowly taking me apart grey would be the color if i had a heart
[email-masked] - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/homepage.html - dM
saving energy through apathy - the grabbing hands grab all they can - is there
a tiny part of me untouched--unsoiled by misery - that'a f*ckin' woodchuck...
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:28:15 -0400 (EDT)

The file xpm.h should be in a directory somewhere/X11 and not just somewhere.
It (XPM) was written as an X application. Note the libXpm.a nameing 
convention. #include <X11/xpm.h> is what should be used.

Your xpm installation is incorrect. You can as a work around do this;
cd somewhere; ln -s . X11
or even better;
mkdir somewhere/X11; mv somewhere/xpm.h somewhere/X11

The other problem you mentioned will be fixed however.

Randall