Subject: Re: FVWM: wierd xterm error

From: Greg Veres <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 08:06:14 -0500

For all those interested in this problem I was having, I have found that it
must be the way in which I am starting FVWM that causes the error. To
refresh memories, the error was that if I launched an xterm from a menu
item in my .fvwmrc file, I would get an invalid argument error when xterm
had no errors. There was nothing on the rest of the line in my .fvwmrc file
so that was not it.

I decided that it must be some thing in my .fvwmrc file because other
people here could start xterms. I started removing lines from my .fvwmrc
file and restarting, hoping that I would eventually eliminate the mystery
line. Nothing seemed to work so I started again but this time "killing"
FVWM and restarting it from the command line. The first time I did this
everything worked. I then put my original .fvwmrc file back in place and
again it all worked. I have therefore concluded that it is how I start the
window manager that is causing me problems. The problem with this is that
it is all part of some complex scripts designed to provide all users with a
common environment across herogeneous platforms.

If I can find out the exact problem I will let people know. Sorry for
leading everybody on a wild goose chase with the previous posts.

-Greg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Veres ([email-masked])         | You got your whole life to
Computer Graphics Lab, University Of Waterloo| do something and thats not
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~gveres          | very long.  - Ani Difranco
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 14:06:26 +0000 (GMT)

> had no errors. There was nothing on the rest of the line in my .fvwmrc file

The words "invalid argument" come frequently from stty running in your
.bashrc or .bash_profile (or maybe the system wide ones).

It happens when stty is run, but its parent is not connected to a
tty. The following demonstrates:

$ (stFrom owner-fvwm  Mon Oct 30 13:56:48 1995
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 14:54:06 -0500 (EST)
From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FVWM: Here is a fvwm-2.0.38 bug.
Sender: [email-masked]
Priority: non-urgent
content-length: 490

When I startup "dclock", and move my mouse over the window, the border 
does not change color, as a sign of focus change. If the dclock is very near
an xterm then I can move from the xterm to the dclock and the focus is still
in the xterm. This is very odd behaviour. Other WM's do not have this 
problem. Any ideas?

Randall