Subject: FVWM: Style

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 13:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

There are some styles that aren't documented. For instance, what is
SmartPlacement/DumbPlacement? 

On a related note, I use RandomPlacement, but I don't like the way it starts
at +0+0. I'd like it to start a little further down and to the right, say,
+50+50. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Gail
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:09:45 -0400

>>>>> "Gail" == Gail Mara Gurman <[email-masked]> writes:

Gail> There are some styles that aren't documented. For instance, what
Gail> is SmartPlacement/DumbPlacement?

I already added these to the man page for the next release, basically
taken from the fvwm 1.xx man page:

               RandomPlacement causes windows which would normally
               require user placement to be automatically placed in
               ever-so- slightly random locations.  For the best of
               all possible worlds use both RandomPlacement and
               SmartPlacement.

               SmartPlacement causes windows which would normally
               require user placement to be automatically placed in a
               smart location - a location in which they do not
               overlap any other windows on the screen. If no such
               position can be found user placement or random
               placement will be used as a fall-back method.  For the
               best of all possible worlds use both RandomPlacement
               and SmartPlacement.

Gail> On a related note, I use RandomPlacement, but I don't like the
Gail> way it starts at +0+0. I'd like it to start a little further
Gail> down and to the right, say, +50+50. Is there a way to do this?

Not currently.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bj|rn Torkelsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 07:21:46 GMT

>taken from the fvwm 1.xx man page:

Another thing I haven't seen in the man-page are anything about the
Windows-lookalike shortcuts that can be used in menus. I found this litte nice
feature when I was looking into the code for another reason. Just put an &
before the letters that should act as shortcuts.

I'm running 2.0 patchlevel 33.

/torkel
-- 
Björn Torkelsson          Dept. of Computing Science, Umeå University
Email: [email-masked]   URL: http://www.cs.umu.se/~torkel/
Phone: +46 90 167927      Fax:   +46 90 166126
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Charles Durst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 01:45:34 -0400

>                overlap any other windows on the screen.

Another thing for the TODO list would be an even SmarterPlacement option
which would (if the usual SmartPlacement failed), try to place the
window so that it doesn't overlap the TOPMOST window ...

... even better might be to have it avoid overlapping as many of the
windows as possible using the current stacking order as a priority.

It's often annoyed me that just because I have some iconified windows
lying around (at the bottom of the stacking order), FVWM decides that it
can't do a smart placement on a new, small window.

This gets especially annoying with a program like "xanim" which has a
control panel window that, if "randomly" placed ends up right on top of
the graphics window rather than next to it.

Anyway, Chuck, you seem to be doing a great job fiddling with all of
this stuff!  Where do you find the time?

--
			      .-------------------------------------.
Charles Durst                 |  Email: [email-masked]        |
			      |  Phone: (617) 275-2523              |
			      `-------------------------------------'
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:48:34 -0400

>>>>> "cdurst" == Charles Durst <[email-masked]> writes:

>> overlap any other windows on the screen.

cdurst> Another thing for the TODO list would be an even
cdurst> SmarterPlacement option which would (if the usual
cdurst> SmartPlacement failed), try to place the window so that it
cdurst> doesn't overlap the TOPMOST window ...

Or perhaps just make the combination of SmartPlacement and
RandomPlacement try to do that by default.

cdurst> Anyway, Chuck, you seem to be doing a great job fiddling with
cdurst> all of this stuff!  Where do you find the time?

Thanks.

Actually, I don't really have a lot of time to work on it normally.  I
answer notes & fiddle when I can: at lunchtime, at home late at night
& weekends, quick spurts between things at work, etc.  People sending
me patches helps too.

There will be times when I won't be able to do anything for lengths of
time...  But I'm glad that people seem to be happy for now.

Chuck