Subject: FVWM: problems compiling pl37 on SGI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:08:46 +0000

spiegl writes:
 > Hi!
 >
 > I had no problems compiling pl37 on my SGI Indigo (running Iris 5.3).
 > But when I start it ('fvwm2'), the screen blanks for half a second,
 > then everything's locked up.
 > No window has keyboard focus, ie. all cursors are 'hollow'.  The
 > only way to get out of this is to cut and paste 'killall fvwm2' with
 > the mouse. :-(

I had the exact same problem compiling pl37 under Linux 1.2.1, gcc
2.6.3, Xfree 3.1.1. Nothing goes to stdout or stderr when pl37 starts
up. (Suspiciously, when I tried to put pl37 in the background with
"fvwm2 &", the shell never returned a process id for the new task.) I
don't know about pl36; the last version I was able to get compiled and
running was pl24 (due to time constraints, not technical problems.)

- Jim

Jim Nicholson
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:38:31 +0100 (MET)

Hi Jim Nicholson,

> running was pl24 (due to time constraints, not technical problems.)

I find this problem very strange, but apparently we are the only
ones who have experienced this.  Besides you nobody even sent a
remark on my problem.

Maybe we did something wrong in configuring, but I wouldn't know what?!
Or is it something in the config file?!  I am at the end of my wits. :-(

By the way, I *do* get a process id when I call "fvwm2 &":
 hamster:~>fvwm2 &
 [1] 2951

But then I have to kill it (using mouse copy&paste) in order to
do anything after starting fvwm. :-((

Thanks for your mail,
 Andy.
___________________________________________________________________________
  Andy Spiegl, Institute for Applied Mathematics
  University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany
  E-Mail: [email-masked]
  http://www.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/~spiegl/

Above all else - sky.