Subject: FVWM: race condition or timing window in fvwm2 ??

From: "Carl A. Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 00:06:10 -0400

First, I would like to join the chorus of thanks to all those who 
spend time on the wm. It is really great, we all love it here.

The problem shows itself when I first log in when bringing up the first 
new window or two from my .xsession file. These windows sometimes do not 
have any of my styles; the color is some default light grey, and I have
no buttons in my menu bar.  All other windows (most of which are opened
by fvwm in some manor) are fine. Doing a restart fixes things, but 
I would like this not to happen. FYI fvwm is one of the first things 
started in my .xsession, and it is in the background. I use another 
gizmo for the last command in my .xsession.

I am running fvwm2 pl37 under several OS's. I see it from 
time to time under HP-UX 9.05, but it happens frequently
under Solaris 2.4. I built it with gcc, and 
I use the FvwmCpp module to preprocess my .fvwm2rc file.  

As long as I am on the subject, my $.02 about the 
config file is that I would not like to see fvwm depend on a 
copy dropped in /tmp for runtime. We run tmp cleaners
that wack old stuff, so if I am logged in for several days 
this file goes away. (I just seem to remember some rumor floating
about. Donno, maybe I am nuts.)

   --- Carl

_______________________________________________________________________________
Carl A. Adams                                          [email-masked]
University of Michigan  -  Student of Aerospace Engineering
CAEN Unix Systems 

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 08:38:18 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> Carl A Adams writes:

	> The problem shows itself when I first log in when bringing
	> up the first new window or two from my .xsession file. These
	> windows sometimes do not have any of my styles; the color is
	> some default light grey, and I have no buttons in my menu
	> bar. [...]

Instead of starting them in .xsession, create an InitFunction in your
.fvwmrc and start them from there.  If you must put them in .xsession,
you'll have to use sleep to wait before running the apps to give fvwm
a chance to start up.

	> As long as I am on the subject, my $.02 about the config
	> file is that I would not like to see fvwm depend on a copy
	> dropped in /tmp for runtime. We run tmp cleaners that wack
	> old stuff, so if I am logged in for several days this file
	> goes away. (I just seem to remember some rumor floating

That's primarily a problem with fvwm 1.x.  In 2.x, that requirement
will go away once all the modules are rewritten to use the fvwmlib
interface for reading the configuration.  In fact, under 2.x I don't
believe the /tmp/fwmrcXXXXX file is saved at all unless you use FvwmM4
and turn on the debug switch so modules such as FvwmForm will work.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation MS B020 202 Burlington Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg

---

From: "Carl A. Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:30:56 -0400

> you'll have to use sleep to wait before running the apps to give fvwm

I knew I could do that, I just want to avoid doing that;
it is a very unclean solution to the problem. I always start up 
one xterm so if fvwm fails and my session falls back on a wm I don't
have configured (or no wm at all), I will have a shell to work in. I
considered it a bug since I have never seen this behavior in another
window manager (MWM). 

FVWM must be getting the information it uses to decorate the window 
from somewhere. It looks to me as if it is accessing something that 
hasn't finished initializing, but it doesn't seem to know that it's 
not finished initializing, and continues.

   --- Carl

---

From: Carlos Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 10:46:34 -0300

>not finished initializing, and continues.

That's strange. Here's what I have:

rxvt &
fvwm&
exec rxvt

and both windows are properly managed.

Carlos