Subject: FVWM: FvwmCpp, quotes and .fvwmrc.

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 14:50:21 +0100

I tried recently to use FvwmCpp to process my .fvwmrc (I didnot want
m4 because of the 'include' mess).
 
 - First problem, I could not get FvwmCpp to work at all. I guess I
did not use the good options, and would be pleased if someone told me
what to do...

So, what I have done now is to convert my .fvwmrc to use cpp, which is
applied manually each time I make a change :-( Nevertheless, I had
several problems:

 - the use of # as a comment delimiter for fvwm conflicts with cpp. I
had to insert a space in front of the comments, which is not very
nice. I'd like to see an alternate comment delimiter in fvwm.

 - Since I use a sun, all the references to pixmap xterm-sun.xpm has
been replaced with xterm-1.xpm :-( No problem, I thought, I've just to
enclose the pixmap name in quotes. This does *not* work! This is
contradictory with the man page of fvwm which basically says that
quotes can be used anywhere.

 - And, finally, something that I've already written (but since I had
no echo, I could perhpas repeat it): I'd like to have the default
ModulePath hardcoded in fvwm, in order to use 'fvwm -f' in a simple
manner (It should be easy, since this info is known to the Imakefile).

Jean-Marc.

PS: On a related subject, does somebody knows of a clever way to use
cpp on the .Xdefaults file transparently?
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:47:43 -0600

>> On Tue, 17 Oct 1995 14:50:21 +0100,
>> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes(J) wrote:
J>  - the use of # as a comment delimiter for fvwm conflicts with cpp. I
J> had to insert a space in front of the comments, which is not very
J> nice. I'd like to see an alternate comment delimiter in fvwm.

Since cpp strips comments by default, you could use C style comments
(/* comment */) in your .fvwmrc as well, since fvwm will never see
them.

J> PS: On a related subject, does somebody knows of a clever way to use
J> cpp on the .Xdefaults file transparently?

I'm not sure I understand -- xrdb invokes cpp on the .Xdefaults file
by default. Is something besides xrdb used to get your .Xdefaults into
the X database?

  -mb-

---

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:45:40 +0100

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>> On Tue, 17 Oct 1995 14:50:21 +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes(J)
    >>> wrote:
    J> - the use of # as a comment delimiter for fvwm conflicts with
    J> cpp. I had to insert a space in front of the comments, which is
    J> not very nice. I'd like to see an alternate comment delimiter
    J> in fvwm.

    mb> Since cpp strips comments by default, you could use C style
    mb> comments (/* comment */) in your .fvwmrc as well, since fvwm
    mb> will never see them.

Thats a good idea.

    J> PS: On a related subject, does somebody knows of a clever way
    J> to use cpp on the .Xdefaults file transparently?

    mb> I'm not sure I understand -- xrdb invokes cpp on the
    mb> .Xdefaults file by default. Is something besides xrdb used to
    mb> get your .Xdefaults into the X database?

>From what I read in the X man page, xrdb is not used to read
.Xdefaults. In fact, only the #include directive is recognized, but it
seems to be a hack. It is easy to check that if I edit my .Xdefaults
to add some cpp-isms, my apps complain about their resources. If there
is some kind of magic option somewhere to force the use of xrdb, I'd
like to know about it. 

Jean-Marc.

---

From: Mark Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:38:11 +0100

> is some kind of magic option somewhere to force the use of xrdb, I'd
xrdb is usually run as part of your session start-up. For example, in
OpenWindows it is run from the "openwin" script; under xdm it is
run from your .xsession or the system Xsession file. It should be run
before starting fvwm.

You can run xrdb at any time to update the resources stored on the X
server (actually the resources are stored separately for each screen of
the server).  The new resources will affect any clients started from
then on. Xrdb defines various symbols using -D... that you can use to
select different sections in your .Xdefaults, for example whether the
display has colour. See the man page.

Mark

-- 
Mark Powell, Senior Software Engineer <[email-masked]>
Primagraphics Limited, Graphics Court, Melbourn Science Park,
Melbourn, Royston, Herts SG8 6EJ, England. Tel. +44 1763 262041
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].