Subject: FVWM: YAFS - Yet another FVWM suggestion.

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:35:27 -0700 (PDT)

This particular idea came up in one of the linux groups, and I thought
I'd post it over here as I think as a general mechanism it could be
useful. It comes from a discussion on configuring fvwm to work as
closely as W95 for those who like that interface.

One feaure someone liked that can't be reporduced is the behaviour of
alt-tab in windows. Sure, we can assign circulate up and circulate down
to different keys, but the fast toggling to the last used window with
the same key press is kind of handy, and I could think of other uses for
a mapping that worked the way alt tab does. If you're not familiar with
this function, holding down the alt key down and repeatedly hitting tab
brings up first the last window used, and then the second last, etc,
circulating back to the original window again. Because alt tab is more
easily reached from the home row than the function keys, it's a feature
that can grow on you, and because it acts as a toggle between the last
two windows it's very convienient.

The toggle between two actions with the same key press could also be
used for other functions other than imitating windows which might be
useful as well, such as jumping between desktops.

-- 
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                     b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 09:00:55 -0400

>>>>> "John" == John Henders <[email-masked]> writes:

John> The toggle between two actions with the same key press could
John> also be used for other functions other than imitating windows
John> which might be useful as well, such as jumping between desktops.

I thought I already had something like this on my TO-DO list (simple
variables for .fvwmrc functions, for things like toggles), but
apparently I had forgot to put it on there.  It's on there now.

Chuck