Subject: Re: FVWM: Two Little Problems

From: Jeff S. Elam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:42:11 -0700 (PDT)

> From [email-masked]  Mon Oct  9 17:37:31 1995
> Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 09:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
> Subject: FVWM: Two Little Problems
> To: [email-masked] (FVWM Mailing List)
> 
> I'm using pl37 now and it seems okay (i.e., it hasn't crashed yet), but I'm
> having a problem with my Cm icon placement.
> 
> Actually, I've been having this since pl35. Cm is an xview calendar program. 
> I call it as follows in my .xinitrc:  
>    
>    cm -i3 -fg `dark` -bg `light` -WP 85 0 &
> 
> The "-WP 85 0" is xview's icon_placement switch. It's supposed to place the
> icon at +85+0. However, when Fvwm starts or restarts, the Cm icon is at
> +0+0, which is where my console icon is. If I click on it once, it jumps to
> the correct place. This problem never occured under Mwm.
> 
> It's not a big problem, but it is annoying.
> 
> Gail
> --
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
> 

Actually, I've been seeing this problem in 2.0 all along (ever since pl13 or
so).  This problem didn't exist in 1.xx.

>From what I've seen, any window that starts up iconified and has a fixed icon
position (specified on the command line or in .Xdefaults) exhibits this
problem, even if an IconBox is defined for that window as a "Style" parameter.

For some reason, the icon tries to appear at 0,0 before jumping to its correct
position.  If there's another window open that's covering 0,0, the icon
appears under that window and never moves to its correct position until it is
uncovered.

I have several windows (cm, xterms, etc.) that I want to start up iconified at
particular positions on the desktop, so I see this a lot.  They all appear
at 0,0 and stay there until I uncover them by switching desktops or moving
the xterm that's covering 0,0.

I've worked around the problem in a kludgy way by defining for each item a
separate IconBox that's barely big enough to hold the icon.  I then remove the
command line parameters or X resources that set the icon position for those
icons.  The icons will then appear in the correct places.  Of course this
means that I have to tweak the start-up files for my other window managers the
same way, which is pretty gross.

-Jeff E.

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].