Subject: FVWM: Two copies of a mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

Sometimes I am getting 2 copies of the same mail. Is anyone else
experiencing this too?

-- 
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 17:36:11 -0400

>>>>> "chitturi" == chitturi  <[email-masked]> writes:

chitturi> Sometimes I am getting 2 copies of the same mail. Is anyone else
chitturi> experiencing this too?

Yup - in fact you'll see 2 copies of this.  People often reply to both
the user directly and to the list, which is why.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Lance Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 08:26:53 -0400

>the user directly and to the list, which is why.

  Kind of annoying.  Why does it have to be that way?  Other mailing lists
I've been on at least set the Reply-To: field to the mailing list so it's
easy to reply to the list.  I guess I'm not so concerned about getting
the two copies of mail (although it would be nice not to) as the fact that
I always have to remember and then type the address of the list in my
note (I guess I should set up a nickname).  Although when I do that, I
usually just change the To: tag so the person I'm "replying" to doesn't
get two copies.

  Although maybe I can see why that is.  Whenever I send a note to the list,
I always get a few bounced mail messages.  If it weren't for the lack of
the Reply-To, would the list get those messages and not be able to filter
them?

  ...Lance

Lance Pickup                VNET/IBM Internet: lpickup@btv
Modeling Automation                  Internet: [email-masked]
IBM Microelectronics
Burlington, VT                          Phone: (802) 769-7104 (tie 446)

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 15:26:06 +0100

>>>>> "Lance" == Lance Pickup <[email-masked]> writes:

  Lance> [...] Other mailing lists I've been on at least set the
  Lance> Reply-To: field to the mailing list so it's easy to reply to
  Lance> the list.  I guess I'm not so concerned about getting the two
  Lance> copies of mail (although it would be nice not to) as the fact
  Lance> that I always have to remember and then type the address of
  Lance> the list in my note (I guess I should set up a nickname).

Many mail readers (all that I have used) have two functions for
replying to mail, one replies to the sender only, whereas the other
replies to the sender plus all recipients.  The latter function is
what I'm using right now (removed myself, though).

        \kai{}
--
I like both kinds of music.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 15:16:49 -0500

>>>>> "LP" == Lance Pickup <[email-masked]> writes:

LP> Other mailing lists I've been on at least set the Reply-To: field to
LP> the mailing list so it's easy to reply to the list.

You may recall that I originally set things up that way but got rid of it
due to many complaints.

LP> Although maybe I can see why that is.  Whenever I send a note to the
LP> list, I always get a few bounced mail messages.  If it weren't for the
LP> lack of the Reply-To, would the list get those messages and not be able
LP> to filter them?

Possibly.  There are now way too many sites that send bounces to the
incorrect places.  Some send back to the list, some send to the original
sender of the message.  If you get bounces like that, let me know and I
will remove the offending addresses permanently.  If you are at one of
these sites (inmos or any site that uses Pegasus mail) then complain to
your admins about the low quality of their software.  I have no choice but
to have no mercy.

Also, in general if your address bounces once or your mail software sends
one incorrect bounce or error message then that address is removed
immediately.  I get hundreds of bounces a day and see no reason to put up
with it.

 - J<

---

From: "Lance Pickup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 08:26:56 -0400

Jason,

>You may recall that I originally set things up that way but got rid of it

  Fair enough.  I didn't post any messages at that time, so I didn't
notice.

>immediately.  I get hundreds of bounces a day and see no reason to put up

  Okay, that sounds good too.  I'll start forwarding the dead mail
addresses back to you.  By the way, by you, do you mean [email-masked]
or is there some administrative account we should mail this to?

  ...Lance