Subject: FVWM: Makefile for FvwmConfig

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 08:25:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hello

I got hold of fvwm2 patch 34, and compiled it on the weekend and got
a clean compile, with only one exception.

I did

	xmkmf
	MakeMakefiles
( complained about Makefile for FvwmConfig )
	make all

I went and looked in the FvwmConfig module and found a makefile but
this module was not built and was not installed.

Now I got the patch 37 and FvwmConfig still has the same makefile.

problem #2
==========

The man pages have FvwmBanner.man
                             ^^^^^
How do I make the man utility read these pages.

problem #3
==========

Is there a better fvwmrc conversion program than the one that came
with patch 34?

Thank you.
Subbarao

-- 
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 09:49:57 -0400

>>>>> "Subbarao" == chitturi  <[email-masked]> writes:

Subbarao> Hello
Subbarao> I got hold of fvwm2 patch 34, and compiled it on the weekend
Subbarao> and got a clean compile, with only one exception.

Please grab and use pl37 instead.  pl34 is buggy.

Subbarao> I did

Subbarao>       xmkmf
Subbarao>       MakeMakefiles
Subbarao> ( complained about Makefile for FvwmConfig )
Subbarao>       make all

Subbarao> I went and looked in the FvwmConfig module and found a
Subbarao> makefile but this module was not built and was not
Subbarao> installed.

Correct - FvwmConfig doesn't have Imake support since it's written in
C++.  Perhaps I should put a note that it doesn't get built by default
in the README or INSTALL file.  There, I just did so for the next
release (INSTALL & BUGS).

Subbarao> Now I got the patch 37 and FvwmConfig still has the same makefile.

Subbarao> problem #2
Subbarao> ==========

Subbarao> The man pages have FvwmBanner.man
Subbarao>                              ^^^^^
Subbarao> How do I make the man utility read these pages.

Put the in your MANPATH, or use a simple little utility, like this
(from my .cshrc):

alias lman 'tbl \!* | neqn | nroff -man | more'

Subbarao> problem #3
Subbarao> ==========

Subbarao> Is there a better fvwmrc conversion program than the one that came
Subbarao> with patch 34?

Yup, it's called 'by hand'. :)

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 10:10:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Subbarao> Now I got the patch 37 and FvwmConfig still has the same makefile.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for replying.

If FvwmConfig does not built by default, should I rename the "makefile" to
"Makefile" and compile(make) it? What is the fuction of FvwmConfig?

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 10:18:41 -0400

>> release (INSTALL & BUGS).

Subbarao> Thank you for replying.

No problem.

Subbarao> If FvwmConfig does not built by default, should I rename the
Subbarao> "makefile" to "Makefile" and compile(make) it?

You don't need to rename it.  The 'make' program looks for several
differently named files, in the following order:

         GNUmakefile makefile Makefile s.makefile s.Makefile

or you can just run make -f makefilename if the file was named
something else.  The first one is GNU make specific, and the last two
are used to grab makefiles from sccs.  The 2nd and 3rd are the most
commonly used.

Subbarao> What is the fuction of FvwmConfig?

I believe it does simple fvwm configuration.  There is a man page for
it.  Rob doesn't recommend using it (read the man page) as it doesn't
cover all of the fvwm configuration options.

Chuck

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:21:48 -0400

>>>>> "chitturi" == chitturi  <[email-masked]> writes:

chitturi> g++  -o FvwmConfig WinBase.o FvwmConfig.o WinButton.o WinText.o WinRadioButton.o
chitturi> WinInput.o WinSlider.o WinColorSelector.o dead.o -L../../libs -lX11 -lm -lfvwmlib
chitturi> ld: No such file or directory for libfvwmlib
chitturi> make: *** [FvwmConfig] Error 1

chitturi> These are the messages that I got when I tried to compile
chitturi> FvwmConfig module. The linker is not finding the
chitturi> fvwmlib.a. How can I fix this?

Change it to look for -lfvwm2 instead.  I'll fix it here for the next
release.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

g++  -o FvwmConfig WinBase.o FvwmConfig.o WinButton.o WinText.o WinRadioButton.o
WinInput.o WinSlider.o WinColorSelector.o dead.o -L../../libs -lX11 -lm -lfvwmlib
ld: No such file or directory for libfvwmlib
make: *** [FvwmConfig] Error 1

These are the messages that I got when I tried to compile FvwmConfig
module. The linker is not finding the fvwmlib.a. How can I fix this?

Thank you.