Subject: Re: FVWM: WindowShades & a bug.

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 09:17:58 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
> The code in fvwm/menu.c can be divided between
> 
>   1/ code that generates and destroys menus in memory;
>   2/ code to display menus.

[you can look to the quoted message for this missing content..:-) ]

> The example of Geos is not really innocent. In this OS, all the UI
> stuff is located in a module (a geode, in geospeak). If you change this
> module, the whole user interface is changed (not only the menus or
> window decorations, but all dialogs, scrollbars, etc.). I have not
> seen it myself, but a MacIntosh interface and a windows 2.0 interface
> have been demonstrated for various versions of Geos.

Wow!  A person after my own mindset.  I've not seen Geos, but I would
definately be pleased to see Fvwm's 'styles' or whatever include
'MenuStyle' of some form or another.  And I would definately like to
see the fvwm modules shair code with the wm whenever it is done through
a shaired library, to save space...
Maybe we could even (ghasp) have olvwm emulation?  hehehe...that would
turn a few heads...

As a side note, I'd like to see a 'OS/2' style icon manager inwhich
icons only appear when the window is iconized if it is set to go to
the icon manager, the size of the icons can be 'changed onthefly' and
the 'arrangement' of the icons can be changed by dragging them around,
and/or arranging them; and the text wraps below the icon rather than
in one 'bar' below the icon for miles in both directions; and the
spacing of the icons is allowed to vary based on the text-size below
the icon...

While I'm on OS/2, anychance some 'settings' ?module? could be created
to allow per-window styles that change on-the-fly?  I mean, it is
nice for styles to say 'Style "*rxvt*" blah' but, well, what if I
want some rxvt's to have 'Style "rxvt" NoTitle' and others not?  Currently
I don't know if this is possible; if it is it would envolve changing
the titles of the windows and then using FvwmTalk to change the style
for that title of a window, and then issuing 'Recapture'.  It would
be a nice edition for fvwm, imho, if I could have a 'function' or
'module' invoked in the same way as 'Identify' such that I click on
a window, choose it's new style, and it and only it gets redrawn.

BTW, whatever happened to the days when 'restart fvwm' meant that
the boarders on windows disappeared, and then one-by-one the windows
disappeared, re-appearing with the fvwm decoration?  Is there a
reason for the 'black screen' before fvwm starts?  If there is, maybe
I missed it somewhere...imho it is annoying and time-consumptive...

> If this is not too difficult in terms of coding and/or to slow, I'd
> like to see fvwm take this direction. But, well, I don't really know C
> or Xlib, so I won't do the coding myself. So I guess that people that
> do the *real* work should be free to choose what they want to do :-)

gotcha.  I am getting itchy fingers abit, so if I get some time, I may
well at least look at the sourcecode...I do know C, but not Xlib...so
I am one step ahead of you :-)

-- 
Todd [email-masked]
http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 01:47:11 +0900

tfries> I mean, it is nice for styles to say 'Style "*rxvt*" blah'
tfries> but, well, what if I want some rxvt's to have 'Style "rxvt"
tfries> NoTitle' and others not?

If my understanding about fvwm source, this can be done in current
fvwm, I think. In fact, 'Style' built-in function (and some built-in
function) is context-dependant, i.e., order of 'Style' command have a
meanings.

If you wanna do described above, try:

	Style "*rxvt*" blah
	Style "rxvt" NoTitle

Window "foorxvtbar" matches only first Style command, but window
"rxvt" matches first and second, so "rxvt" has no title, but blah
style is also defined (of course, if blah has 'Title', this is ignored
by second 'NoTitle').

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].