Subject: FVWM: problem with configure.h + NoClass Patch

From: Frederic Devernay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 15:20:48 GMT

Hi Fvwmers,

I think configure.h should contain lines like
#define FVWM fvwm2
and
#define FVWM fvwm

rather than

#define FVWM            fvwm2
and
#define FVWM            fvwm

since the last ones cause errors during the installation. If I "make install"
on SGI, I get:
bsdinst -c              fvwm2 /u/corse/0/devernay/sgi5/bin/           fvwm2
/etc/install: can't create fvwm2/fvwm2: Not a directory.
(the extra spaces come from the #define)

Also, I retried the "NoClass" patch by replacing the #if 0 and #if 1
in the code as follows and defining NOCLASSPATCH in configure.h:

diff fvwm/add_window.c ../../fvwm/fvwm/add_window.c
128c128
< #if 0
---
> #ifdef NOCLASSPATCH
135c135
< #if 1
---
> #ifndef NOCLASSPATCH
diff fvwm/misc.c ../../fvwm/fvwm/misc.c
198c198
< #if 0
---
> #ifdef NOCLASSPATCH

and everything seems to run OK here. Since this was disabled I guess
somebody experienced crashes because of that patch but I didn't get
any in several weeks of intensive use.  What kind of problem happen
with that patch and in what situation? I definitely _want_ titles on
my windows that have titles but no class.

Fred
--
       *       mailto:[email-masked]      *
       * Projet ROBOTVIS -- INRIA Sophia Antipolis -- FRANCE *
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:58:13 -0400

>>>>> "Frederic" == Frederic Devernay <[email-masked]> writes:

Frederic> Hi Fvwmers,

Hi Frederic.

Frederic> I think configure.h should contain lines like
Frederic> #define FVWM fvwm2
Frederic> and
Frederic> #define FVWM fvwm

Frederic> rather than

Frederic> #define FVWM            fvwm2
Frederic> and
Frederic> #define FVWM            fvwm

Frederic> since the last ones cause errors during the installation. If
Frederic> I "make install" on SGI, I get:
Frederic> bsdinst -c              fvwm2 /u/corse/0/devernay/sgi5/bin/           fvwm2
Frederic> /etc/install: can't create fvwm2/fvwm2: Not a directory.
Frederic> (the extra spaces come from the #define)

Ah.  I'll see that this gets changed for the next release.

Frederic> Also, I retried the "NoClass" patch by replacing the #if 0
Frederic> and #if 1 in the code as follows and defining NOCLASSPATCH
Frederic> in configure.h:
....
Frederic> and everything seems to run OK here. Since this was disabled
Frederic> I guess somebody experienced crashes because of that patch
Frederic> but I didn't get any in several weeks of intensive use.
Frederic> What kind of problem happen with that patch and in what
Frederic> situation? I definitely _want_ titles on my windows that
Frederic> have titles but no class.

I was wondering what the rationale behind that patch was.  Now that I
know what you wanted from it, I'll try and make it happen correctly.

The real problem that I recall (there may have been others) was in
module communication.  Plus, I didn't want NULL values for Name,
Class, etc.  I'd much rather have windows that don't have a name to be
renamed in fvwm internals to Untitled and those that don't have a
class to be given one of NoClass, so that they are evident and can be
controlled w/ Style commands.

I'll fix the code to make sure NoClass windows get thier titles from
the name, as it sounds like that's the real problem, correct?  I have
a small program that I can modify to test the different combinations
of Name, IconName, Class, and Resource to make sure that they are
treated ok for the next patchlevel.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 19:16:37 +0100 (MET)

Hi Frederic,

> >>>>> Frederic Devernay <[email-masked]> writes:
> 

You're right.  I had the same problem on my SGI, too.

> Chuck> Ah.  I'll see that this gets changed for the next release.
Great.

> Frederic> but I didn't get any in several weeks of intensive use.

I am having big troubles to get fvwm2 to run on my SGIs.  Maybe
you could help me a little, since I assume I must have done something
vital wrong.  Could you please send me your config.h and Imakefile?

On what machine are you compiling it?  I got a Indigo with an
Elan graphics board.  Output of uname -a is:
 IRIX hamster 5.3 11091811 IP20 mips

I also tried running it on a Indy with IRIX 5.3 IP22, but no success.

Thanks in advance,
 Andy.

PS: Please anyone else on this mailing list, who is running fvwm2
    on an SGI, could you send me your config.h and Imakefile?
    Thanks so much!
___________________________________________________________________________
  Andy Spiegl, Institute for Applied Mathematics
  University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany
  E-Mail: [email-masked]
  http://www.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/~spiegl/

Above all else - sky.