Subject: FVWM: Bug in fvwm 2.0-pl36 (Resent)

From: "Olivier DUGEON - FT.CNET/LAA/RSL/ATM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:45:28 +0100

Apologies for this resent but i have trouble with my email

This the original message:

Hi fvwm user's

I just compile fvwm-2.0-pl36 on my SS20-Solaris 2.4. Is there a bug in fvwm or
module? When i start a module all work fine, but when the module finish it's
job (FvwmBanner, FvwmIdentify .....) fvwm crash with the message:

FVWM has been killed by a signal 11.
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x2800003
  Serial number of failed request:  878
  Current serial number in output stream:  879

I read the file BUGS in the distribution, however if you kill (i.e
FvwmIdentify) with the close window menu, the module close correctly, but when
you click in the root window to display the menu, fvwm crash in the same manner
(got  signel 11).

What's happen???

I would just add 3 remark's about the new distribution.

1/ Add depend in the lib directory for 'make depend' work corectly.

2/ Add FVWM_MAN_DIR in the Imakefile of all modules and xpmroot for 'make
install.man' with FVWM_MAN_DIR MANDIR=/usr/local/man/mann work corectly.

3/ And finaly add a switch in the Imakefile to choose between /bin/sh or
/bin/csh in the file 'builtin.c' for the execvl function. This is to make fvwm
launch application with /bin/csh rather than /bin/sh

All other work's fine to me

Olivier.

-- 
                                   _\\|//_ 
                                   ( O-O )
---------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------------
  FRANCE TELECOM - CENTRE NATIONAL d'ETUDES et DES TELECOMMUNICATIONS

 Dugeon olivier                     X-400:    G=Olivier; S=Dugeon; OU=LANNION
 FT-CNET LAA/RSL/ATM                          P=CNET; A=ATLAS; C=FR;
 Technopole Anticipa                E-mail:   [email-masked]
 2, Avenue Pierre Marzin            Phone:    +(33) 96 05 28 80
 F-22307 LANNION                    Fax       +(33) 96 05 11 98
 FRANCE                             Telex:    740801F
--------------------------------ooO-------Ooo----------------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:11:45 -0400

>>>>> "Olivier" == Olivier DUGEON <- FT.CNET/LAA/RSL/ATM" <[email-masked]>> writes:

Olivier> I just compile fvwm-2.0-pl36 on my SS20-Solaris 2.4. Is there
Olivier> a bug in fvwm or module? When i start a module all work fine,
Olivier> but when the module finish it's job (FvwmBanner, FvwmIdentify
Olivier> .....) fvwm crash with the message:

Olivier> FVWM has been killed by a signal 11.
Olivier> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Olivier>   Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
Olivier>   Resource id in failed request:  0x2800003
Olivier>   Serial number of failed request:  878
Olivier>   Current serial number in output stream:  879

Olivier> I read the file BUGS in the distribution, however if you kill
Olivier> (i.e FvwmIdentify) with the close window menu, the module
Olivier> close correctly, but when you click in the root window to
Olivier> display the menu, fvwm crash in the same manner (got signel
Olivier> 11).

Olivier> What's happen???

I screwed up in removing the NoClass patch.  I have it fixed and will
be releasing pl37 later today (hopefully).

Olivier> I would just add 3 remark's about the new distribution.

Olivier> 1/ Add depend in the lib directory for 'make depend' work
Olivier> corectly.

I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but as soon as I do I will.

Olivier> 2/ Add FVWM_MAN_DIR in the Imakefile of all modules and
Olivier> xpmroot for 'make install.man' with FVWM_MAN_DIR
Olivier> MANDIR=/usr/local/man/mann work corectly.

I'm waiting for a patch that was volunteered to clean up the
Imake/configure.h stuff.  That's why I'm holding off on releasing pl37
for the moment.  It will be fixed before the official release, but
hopefully it'll be fixed for pl37.

Olivier> 3/ And finaly add a switch in the Imakefile to choose between
Olivier> /bin/sh or /bin/csh in the file 'builtin.c' for the execvl
Olivier> function. This is to make fvwm launch application with
Olivier> /bin/csh rather than /bin/sh

Hhhmmm.  I don't know about this one.  Using /bin/sh is a pretty
standard way to launch apps.  I don't think I'd want to add the
confusion of making that an option and having to document it
everwhere.  Plus, individual users might not know which one theirs was
compiled with if they didn't compile it.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].