Subject: FVWM: Wabi

From: [email-masked] (Mark Scott)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:49:20 +0000 (CDT)

I just installed Wabi on my system & noticed that the FvwmAuto features
don't seem to work correctly with it. It appears to be unnoticed by autoraise
since I have to click to raise it & other windows will immediately raise
over it (ignoring the timer). It also doesn't appear on fvwm's builtin window 
list nor on FvwmWinList's list. It also appears to be doing all of its own
window decorations (maybe that's intentional...?). I'm running fvwm 2.24.

Any ideas?
 _____________________________________________________________________________
| Mark Scott                        | 				             |
| Motorola Computer Group           |  There's no better place on earth,     |
| [email-masked]   	    |   than the road that leads to heaven.  |
| Ph# (217) 384-8536	            |                                        |
| http://www.prairienet.org/~mscott |             Steven Curtis Chapman      |
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dave Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:50:32 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

you'll also notice that wabi follows you all over the desktop whether
you make it sticky or not.  wabi basically ignores your window manager
and the idiots at sun consider this a feature (not only is it in the
wabi documentation, but when I complained about it in a user telephone
survey the interviewer told me I was wrong to consider it a misfeature
since, if I was running wabi then obviously the windoze apps are more
important than my Unix apps).  Note that it misbehaves this way
whether you run twm, fvwm, olwm, olvwm or any other window manager.  I
doubt there's much fvwm can do about it unless there's some way to get
a message to the x server that overrides it (I don't know enough X to
say one way or the other.  I gave up on wabi because of that and other
little pains in the butt (I couldn't install applications from
anything but floppies, for example).  Since I don't really need
windoze for my PC apps (what little I do need are much better served
by MAE even though I hate macintoys even more than I hate windoze)
that works fine for me.  Another person here who really wanted to use
wabi but hated the way it ignored his window manager ended up running
xnest and displaying wabi in the xnested server.  If that's an option
for you (it's not for me - I don't have time to install R6), you might
want to give it a try.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation MS B020 202 Burlington Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: [email-masked]  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg

---

From: Todd Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:49:40 -0600 (CDT)

> window decorations (maybe that's intentional...?). I'm running fvwm 2.24.

Yeah. RTFM. Wabi basically ignores everything and treats itself as its own
private window manager.  Nothing you can do about it, other than live with
the fact that any applications your run while in the Wabi session are on
your desktop just like the real Windows applications.

[email-masked]