Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 pl 38, install inconsistent subdirs!

From: Andy (Flognat) Eskilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Oct 1995 14:25:07 +0100

I attempted to install fvwm 2 pl 38 here today, on a x86 solaris 2.4
machine, shortly, what I did was check the paths in config.h, do the
xmkmf make makefiles and make procedur (openwindows xmkmf)..

On doing make install I noticed that some files were placed in
/usr/openwin/bin and others in /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2...

And if the /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 subdirs didn't exist I got the
errormessage: 
installing in ./modules/FvwmAudio...
+ /bin/sh /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 
/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier: /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier: cannot open

Well shortly, do you have enuff control over xmkmf & co. to be able to
do a gnu-ish like --prefix flag (the installations 'root (put bin, man
lib below))

	/andy
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:03:22 -0400

>>>>> "Andy" == Flognat  <Andy> writes:

Andy> I attempted to install fvwm 2 pl 38 here today, on a x86 solaris 2.4
Andy> machine, shortly, what I did was check the paths in config.h, do the
Andy> xmkmf make makefiles and make procedur (openwindows xmkmf)..

Andy> On doing make install I noticed that some files were placed in
Andy> /usr/openwin/bin and others in /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2...

Andy> And if the /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 subdirs didn't exist I got the
Andy> errormessage:
Andy> installing in ./modules/FvwmAudio...
Andy> + /bin/sh /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2
Andy> /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier: /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier: cannot open

Andy> Well shortly, do you have enuff control over xmkmf & co. to be able to
Andy> do a gnu-ish like --prefix flag (the installations 'root (put bin, man
Andy> lib below))

I believe these problems will be fixed for pl39.  I have some Imake
patches from Randall Winchester that address both of these problems, I
believe.

I would like to switch to AutoConf one of these days, but it probably
won't happen any time soon.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

IBM Internal email: [email-masked],
                    HINESC at FISHKILL, HINESC at FSHVMFK1

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 19:51:59 +0900

Subject: Re: fvwmlib problems
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 05:41:56 +0900

Robert> OK, there must be some completely portable way to get the
Robert> system's host name.  Who knows what it is?

Well, how about GNU autoconf solution ... ?

Here is a sample, patch to 1.24c. What it did is:

* create configure.in, sysdep.h.in (by autoheader) and configure (by
autoconf)
* modify source code to use sysdep.h information.

So, making fvwm procedure is

	a) do 'sh ./configure' to create sysdep.h
	b) xmkmf
	c) make Makefiles
	d) make

b) to d) is the same of current procedure.	

(Well, using 'sysdep.h' is a little bit ugly, merging to configure.h
is better...)

- -
$DB->{"Nick"}->{$Mail->{"Sender"}} eq 'MAR_kun';

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:32:33 +0900

chuck_hines> I would like to switch to AutoConf one of these days, but
chuck_hines> it probably won't happen any time soon.

matusita> In old age (1.24c), I've try to do use GNU autoconf to setup OS
matusita> specific section (That's why current fvwm's configure.h says "this
matusita> stuff can be replaced with ...").

I've just done sample implementation, to apply configure's feature to
fvwm-2.0.38 in last weekend. This implementation does replace 'Do it
yourself OS supporting stuff' section of configure.h. It does NOT do
configure where to install, where is the XPM library, which feature to
select, and so on. This MUST BE done by Imakefile or by
user. configure must support OS specific library existence check ONLY.

Well, I found that libs/strncmp.c is the source of mystrncasecmp(). So
I think it should be renamed to libs/mystrncasecmp.c. This renaming
causes Imakefile (SRCS= section) also.

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].