Subject: FVWM: Fvwm2 startup problems

From: Shane Holder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:51:21 -0500

I'm using fvwm2 on a HP/712 running 9.05, and every once in a while my
configuration will come up, and things won't be quite right.  I won't
have buttons on some windows.  I may have to physically place windows
eventhough they should be auto placed.  I sometimes even loose mouse
focus all together,  and am forced to cut and paste letters into my
xterm, which I use as my magic cookie, so that I can log out.

It's as though fvwm was multi-threaded and one thread is reading the
configuration file, and another thread is starting up the system, and
there's no synchronization between the two, ie. the reading thread
doesn't finish before the configuration thread starts.  

I am using the FvwmM4 stuff to pre-process my .fvwm2rc file, is it
possible that fvwm isn't waiting for this processing to finish before
continuing on?

Am I the only one to see this behavior?

Thanks,
Shane

-- 
Shane Holder         | e-mail: [email-masked]
Convex Computer Corp | phone: (214)497-4182
3000 Waterview       | So, if I work my 40 hours with out sleeping,
Richardson, TX 75083 | can I have the rest of the week off?
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:38:55 -0400

>>>>> "Shane" == Shane Holder <[email-masked]> writes:

Shane> I'm using fvwm2 on a HP/712 running 9.05, and every once in a
Shane> while my configuration will come up, and things won't be quite
Shane> right.  I won't have buttons on some windows.  I may have to
Shane> physically place windows eventhough they should be auto placed.
Shane> I sometimes even loose mouse focus all together, and am forced
Shane> to cut and paste letters into my xterm, which I use as my magic
Shane> cookie, so that I can log out.

Shane> It's as though fvwm was multi-threaded and one thread is
Shane> reading the configuration file, and another thread is starting
Shane> up the system, and there's no synchronization between the two,
Shane> ie. the reading thread doesn't finish before the configuration
Shane> thread starts.

Shane> I am using the FvwmM4 stuff to pre-process my .fvwm2rc file, is
Shane> it possible that fvwm isn't waiting for this processing to
Shane> finish before continuing on?

Shane> Am I the only one to see this behavior?

Apparently.  But it might be related to the occasional odd XEmacs
display behavior problems that are being reported recently.  Perhaps
there is something happening that is causing a race condition in the X
server or something like that.

Would everyone that is seeing odd problems like this please run fvwm2
with the -debug parameter and see if the problems continue.  All this
does is run XSynchronize(dpy,1);, which may cause problems to more
clearly show up, or go away, or might not show anything.  I'm merely
curious.

Another possibility - what level of optimization is everyone compiling
with?  -O3 and greater sometimes causes strange problems with
programs, so I'd say keep it at -O2 or just -O.

Thanks,
Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:34:34 -0600

>> Charles Hines(C) wrote on Tue, 03 Oct 1995 13:38:55 -0400:
C> Would everyone that is seeing odd problems like this please run fvwm2
C> with the -debug parameter and see if the problems continue.  
No, the problem disappears. But, man, does it sloooowww fvwm down ;-).

I couldn't get it to fail after four restarts, but the fifth restart
*did* fail. Ugh. Doesn't look like a fun one to find.

C> All this does is run XSynchronize(dpy,1);, which may cause problems
C> to more clearly show up, or go away, or might not show anything.
C> I'm merely curious.

This is what I fond in my logfile -- the first one is my fault for
(foolishly) putting a "Restart fvwm -debug" in my menu w/o checking
the manual.

FVWM: Call of 'fvwm -debug' failed!!!!
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  66 (X_PolySegment)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x4000001
  Serial number of failed request:  39
  Current serial number in output stream:  45

C> Another possibility - what level of optimization is everyone compiling
C> with?  -O3 and greater sometimes causes strange problems with
C> programs, so I'd say keep it at -O2 or just -O.

I've only tried to use -O.

  -mb-