Subject: FVWM: more Makefile problems with pl38

From: Eli Burke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 21:25:05 -0400 (EDT)

I'm compiling fvwm2.0.38 under OSF/1 3.2 and I ran into another Makefile
problem. This one doesn't have to do with xpm, but rather the creative
use of "BINDIR"
Here's what I get when I try to "make install"

csugrad:/home/eburke/fvwm# make install
installing in ./libs...
/usr/bin/X11/install.sh -c -m 0644 libfvwm2.a /usr/lib/X11
install in ./libs done
installing in ./fvwm...
/usr/bin/X11/install.sh -c -s  fvwm2 /usr/bin/X11
install in ./fvwm done
installing in ./modules/FvwmAudio...
+ /bin/sh /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 
/bin/sh: /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/mkdirhier: cannot open
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.

Here is what is going wrong:

csugrad:/home/eburke/fvwm-> grep BINDIR modules/FvwmAudio/*
modules/FvwmAudio/Imakefile:BINDIR = FVWM_MODULEDIR
modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile:           BINDIR = /usr/bin/X11
modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile:        MKDIRHIER = /bin/sh $(BINDIR)/mkdirhier
modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile:BINDIR = "/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2"
modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile:     @if [ -d $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR) ]; then set +x; \
modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile:             else (set -x; $(MKDIRHIER) $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR)); fi

The directory /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 does not exist. So, it tries to do a
$(MKDIRHIER) $(BINDIR) which equals $(BINDIR)/mkdirhier $(BINDIR)

Once the directory /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2 does exist, everything goes smoothly.

-- 
Eli Burke
[email-masked] 
http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~eburke/ 
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 00:31:44 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry. this was due to differences in the Imake configuration of X11R6 
(which I used initially) and X11R5 and others.
I have sent a number of patches back to Chuck to fix the problems 
mentioned over the last many days. I did not get these to him in time for 
2.0.38 I am sorry to say.

This problem is easy to fix. Just add the following to makefile.h 
somewhere in the top half;

MKDIRHIER = mkdirhier

Randall