Subject: FVWM: pre 2.0 pl 36 : destroying modules. Linux, XFree 3.1.2

From: Karl Eichwalder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 09:04 MET

%n fvwm
%v pre-2.0-patchlevel-36
%c GCC 2.6.3, GNU Emacs 19.29
%l kernel >= 1.2.13, libc 4.6.27, XFree 3.1.2

Destroying modules makes the X display hang.

No customization, vanilla system.fvwmrc.  I discovered this behaviour
while I loading a second ButtonBar via the Popup-Menu.

To reproduce the bug: choose "Destroy" from the menu and click on the
ButtonBar.  fvwm wipes the ButtonPictures away but leave a somehow red
background.  Now no input via mouse or keyboard isn't possible.

It also hangs, if I try the Banner module; when the Banner thinks it's
time to disappear, it freezes the display.

If you need more info, please aks.  Best whishes, Karl.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:07:01 -0400

>>>>> "Karl" == Karl Eichwalder <[email-masked]> writes:

Karl> %n fvwm
Karl> %v pre-2.0-patchlevel-36
Karl> %c GCC 2.6.3, GNU Emacs 19.29
Karl> %l kernel >= 1.2.13, libc 4.6.27, XFree 3.1.2

Karl> Destroying modules makes the X display hang.

Karl> No customization, vanilla system.fvwmrc.  I discovered this
Karl> behaviour while I loading a second ButtonBar via the Popup-Menu.

Karl> To reproduce the bug: choose "Destroy" from the menu and click
Karl> on the ButtonBar.  fvwm wipes the ButtonPictures away but leave
Karl> a somehow red background.  Now no input via mouse or keyboard
Karl> isn't possible.

Karl> It also hangs, if I try the Banner module; when the Banner
Karl> thinks it's time to disappear, it freezes the display.

Actually I had already put a note about this in the pl36 BUGS file.
Destroy should NEVER be used to close an application unless Close
doesn't work.  From the fvwm man page:

          Destroy
               Destroys an application window, which usually causes
               the application to crash and burn.

This is because it uses a very brute force method for closing the
window.  It should especially not be used on the Buttons module, since
then the Buttons module cannot close it's swallowed windows correctly.
Pl 36 has fixes so FvwmButtons kills it's swallowed children more
cleanly more often now, but I haven't found a way to catch the Destroy
action yet.

I was thinking about modifying Destroy to try a Close action first,
and then the more brute force method if that didn't work.  Perhaps
I'll investigate this a little more...

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 12:24 EDT

>Karl> Destroying modules makes the X display hang.

[cut]

>Actually I had already put a note about this in the pl36 BUGS file.

[cut]

>I'll investigate this a little more...

Make it a separate function. There are times when you want to - or must -
do a destroy (e.g. application hung).

Grant McDorman <[email-masked]>
				ISG Technologies, Inc.

---

From: Karl Eichwalder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 95 03:53 MET

>>>>> "Charles" == Charles Hines <[email-masked]> writes:

 Karl> %n fvwm %v pre-2.0-patchlevel-36 %c GCC 2.6.3, GNU Emacs 19.29
 Karl> %l kernel >= 1.2.13, libc 4.6.27, XFree 3.1.2

 Charles> Actually I had already put a note about this in the pl36
 Charles> BUGS file.

Thanks.  Later, I have realized this BUGS file.  But what's bad is, is
that also Close makes fvwm hang (at least for me).  Also, is not
possible to choose the Banner module from the menu: the banner--actually
this little linux guy--pops up, but then the banner disappears and a
black box remains on the top of the screen.

Karl.