Subject: FVWM: Converting Graphics

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:44:54 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, this isn't really an FVWM question, but it's loosely related because
I'm trying to make icons.

I want to make a doom icon (for the game Doom). I have a gif called
doomicon.gif which is appropriately small, but it uses 254 colors. What's
the best way to reduce the number of colors used? Is there a good way?

Thanks.

Gail
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:33:00 -0400

>>>>> "Gail" == Gail Mara Gurman <[email-masked]> writes:

Gail> Okay, this isn't really an FVWM question, but it's loosely
Gail> related because I'm trying to make icons.

Gail> I want to make a doom icon (for the game Doom). I have a gif
Gail> called doomicon.gif which is appropriately small, but it uses
Gail> 254 colors. What's the best way to reduce the number of colors
Gail> used? Is there a good way?

You could try using xv to dither it down to less colors, then save it
out with the reduced color set, then repeat until it gets down to a
manageable amount.  I believe that's how I did it when I needed to do
something similiar.

Chuck