Subject: FVWM: Virtual desktop scrolling with Xemacs & VM

From: Daniel Schepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 22:43:59 -0500

I'm using fvwm 2.0 pl 33 on Linux.  All I have to report is a very
minor bug: whenever I run "xemacs -f vm" and go to an empty screen
before it comes up, the window appears at the upper left hand corner.
(I'm using SmartPlacement or whatever it's called.)  In the middle of
the loading process, the window self-expands slightly in width.  Then
after the program is finished loading, I can't scroll across the top
or left boundaries of the screen with the mouse pointer anywhere
inside the Xemacs window.  This situation is also very temporary,
since any virtual desktop scrolling as well as many window manager
activities end it.

Also, I have a suggestion for an improvement: it would be nice if
there were an option to make SmartPlacement look through the whole
virtual desktop for free space for a window, so I wouldn't have to
switch to an empty screen before a program had time to start up.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Daniel Schepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 18:08:21 -0500

Michael Tiefenback writes:
 > On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Daniel Schepler wrote:
 > 
 > I will second this request, but note that it is possible to lose the 
 > window in a busy desktop, as it might come up somewhere entirely off the 
 > visible screen.  This might be an option to the SmartPlacement 
 > selection.  One might limit the SmartPlacement option to placing new 
 > windows where they fit with the requirement that some minimum HxV area is 
 > on the visible screen, similar to the options for EdgeScroll in % of the 
 > size of a page.  The daring could use "0x0" or "0 0", while the rest of 
 > us would be more restrained.
 > 
 > Michael Tiefenback

I was thinking more that if the window showed up on another screen,
the WM would switch to this screen.  Maybe for REALLY crowded
desktops, there could be an option for an amount of time to wait after
switching before the window actually appears.

Daniel Schepler                         The distinguishing mark of an
[email-masked]                 idiot is that he never thinks
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~dkschepl   he is one.