Subject: FVWM: AutoRaise & popup menus

From: [email-masked] (Mark Scott)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:21:49 +0000 (CDT)

Well, I just had one of our X11/Motif gurus look at the problem of the 
main application window being auto-raised over popup/pulldown menus in Motif
applications when the timer goes off. This appears to be a bug/design-flaw
in the Xt intrinsics definition of "override shell" windows. By ICCCM 
definition, the window manager is supposed to ignore everything about "override
shell" windows (which is what Motif menus use as well as 'xman' & most Tcl/Tk 
applications). Unfortunately, this doesn't allow the window manager to know
there is a menu there, so that is why the application window is raised 
"as intended". Fixing it in fvwm would probably be a violation of the ICCCM,
so someone should let the X Consotium know about this (I've never dealt with 
them) in case they want to address the problem someday. For now, I'll just
make sure I let fvwm auto-raise the application window before grabbing
menus.

 _____________________________________________________________________________
| Mark Scott                        | 				             |
| Motorola Computer Group           |  There's no better place on earth,     |
| [email-masked]   	    |   than the road that leads to heaven.  |
| Ph# (217) 384-8536	            |                                        |
| http://www.prairienet.org/~mscott |             Steven Curtis Chapman      |
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].