Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.0 pl36 - bug and patch

From: Kevin Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:45:00 +0100

I have discovered a bug in fvwm 2.0 pl36 - previously notified to Chuck,
but now I have tracked it down and corrected it.

The symptoms are that closing certain windows causes fvwm to crash - on 
Solaris 2.4 it dies, on Linux 1.3/XFree 3.1.1 it goes into a cpu-munching
loop.  The easiest way to demonstrate the bug is to use the Rlogin
module, described in the FvwmForm manual page - on pressing the Login or
Cancel buttons, or attempting to close the window from the frame, fvwm
hangs.

I'm not sure quite what types of windows cause the trouble, but most of the
"normal" ones, such as xterms, emacs, etc, work fine - hence it slipping through
the net, I presume.

The problem seems to be related to the NoClass change (whatever that is!);
the following patch fixes it:

diff fvwm/add_window.c fvwm/add_window.c_orig 
130c130
< #if 1
---
> #if 0
136c136
< #if 0
---
> #if 1

diff fvwm/misc.c fvwm/misc.c_orig 
191c191
< #if 1
---
> #if 0

Regards,

Kevin Scott
Philips Research Laboratories
Redhill
UK
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:57:55 -0400

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Scott <[email-masked]> writes:

Kevin> I have discovered a bug in fvwm 2.0 pl36 - previously notified to Chuck,
Kevin> but now I have tracked it down and corrected it.

Kevin> The symptoms are that closing certain windows causes fvwm to
Kevin> crash - on Solaris 2.4 it dies, on Linux 1.3/XFree 3.1.1 it
Kevin> goes into a cpu-munching loop.  The easiest way to demonstrate
Kevin> the bug is to use the Rlogin module, described in the FvwmForm
Kevin> manual page - on pressing the Login or Cancel buttons, or
Kevin> attempting to close the window from the frame, fvwm hangs.

Kevin> I'm not sure quite what types of windows cause the trouble, but
Kevin> most of the "normal" ones, such as xterms, emacs, etc, work
Kevin> fine - hence it slipping through the net, I presume.

Kevin> The problem seems to be related to the NoClass change (whatever
Kevin> that is!); the following patch fixes it:

That patch will alleviate the problem until pl37 comes out.  pl37 has
this problem fixed.  Hopefully I'll get it out later today.

Chuck