Subject: FVWM: the difference between a first arguemnt of select and the FdWidth

From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 02:58:49 +0900

Dear contributors of the fvwm,

I had one problem about the first argument of a select().  In the fvwm, it
used a value named fd_width which is calculated in a GetFdWidth() at the
GetFdWidth.c.  It, fd_width, means the number of file descriptors.  However
a select() needs the number of file descriptors in fd_set structure.  It
means that the maximum of value must be equal to the size of fd_set
structure, I think.

In my netbsd, the size of fd_set is 256, and the number of file descriptors
is more than 5000.  When the fvwm call select(), select() destroy heaps
around fd_set structures.

I guess the fvwm should use the FD_SETSIZE as the number of file
descriptors.  However the fvwm is not such implementation.  Is there any
other problem?

Regards,
--- Kazushi
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].