Subject: FVWM: My choice for what FVWM means

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 08:45:46 -0700

Why not follow in the footsteps of gnu.

FVWM - Fvwm Virtual Window Manager

Lee Myers
[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:32:43 +0100

>>>>> "lmyers" == lmyers  <[email-masked]> writes:

    lmyers> Why not follow in the footsteps of gnu.

    lmyers> FVWM - Fvwm Virtual Window Manager

In this case, it sould be something like

  Fvwm is a Virtual Window Manager.

Personnally, I think, as Sverre Huseby wrote earlier, that the mistery
on the name is much more exciting than using a GNU-like acronym for
the 100th time. 

As it is, fvwm is a really configurable window manager: even its name
can be customized !

Jean-Marc.

---

From: Todd Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:51:03 -0600 (CDT)

> FVWM - Fvwm Virtual Window Manager

I like it!

-- 
<a href=mailto:[email-masked]>Todd T. Fries</a>
<a href=http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries/>My Homepage!</a>
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 18:04:40 -0400 (EDT)

> FVWM - Fvwm Virtual Window Manager

In the mists of my mind, I have 'feeble' for the F, indicative of the small
amount of memory it (initially) took...I like the gnu approach tho :)

-- 
-- Daniel Chaney  Postmaster, Newsguy, Archiver  Math Sciences, Univ of KY   --
-- 715 Patterson Office Tower, Lexington, KY 40526-0027       606-257-2150   --
-- {uunet and the like}!ukma!chaney  [email-masked]  [email-masked]   --
--     "I'll have time enough for sleep when I'm dead and in the ground"     --
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Talvola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:51:50 -0700

Not that I am necessarily suggesting it, but when I was running it at
work, someone came up and said "Oh, you're running Fred's Window
Manager".  I hadn't heard that one before...

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Nation 885-9815)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 08:45:46 EST

>on the name is much more exciting than using a GNU-like acronym for

I thought it had been decided (maybe in my own head, and I never said so),
that fvwm is Fred's Virtual Window manager. Now the question would be:

Who the heck is Fred?