Subject: FVWM: Style Request

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck,

Since you said that, in the future, there will be a higher number of
possible styles, I'd like to make a suggestions. How about user-defined
styles? 

That is, right now, the only way to group styles is for "*" or common Class
or name strings. It would be nice if I could group them differently. For
example:

AddToStyle Info	NoHandles
+		NoTitle
+		Sticky
+		WindowListSkip
+		BorderWidth 0

I have this combination of styles on for several applications and it would
be cleaner to just say something like:

Style "Perfmeter" Info

Gail

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:05:03 CDT

[email-masked] writes:

} Since you said that, in the future, there will be a higher number of
} possible styles, I'd like to make a suggestions. How about user-defined
} styles? 

} example:
} 
} AddToStyle Info	NoHandles
} +		NoTitle
} +		Sticky
} +		WindowListSkip
} +		BorderWidth 0
} 

oooh...i like this idea a lot!  right now, my .fvwmrc is *really* messy
down in the style section.  this would clean it up, make it more
readable, etc. etc.  i hope this makes it onto the to-do list.  btw,
keep up the great work, chuck!

--chris

--
this thing is slowly taking me apart grey would be the color if i had a heart
[email-masked] - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/homepage.html - dM
saving energy through apathy - the grabbing hands grab all they can - is there
a tiny part of me untouched--unsoiled by misery - that'a f*ckin' woodchuck...
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:11:03 +0900

gailg> Since you said that, in the future, there will be a higher
gailg> number of possible styles, I'd like to make a suggestions. How
gailg> about user-defined styles?

I think it's a cooool feature, and is already proposed, while current 'Style'
is going to implement. But I don't know why this feature is not supported...

- -
Makoto 'MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 22:12:00 -0600

>> On Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:17:11 -0700 (PDT),
>> Gail Mara Gurman(GMG) wrote:

GMG> How about user-defined styles?  It would be nice if I could group
GMG> them differently. For example:

GMG> AddToStyle Info	NoHandles
GMG> +		NoTitle
GMG> +		Sticky
GMG> +		WindowListSkip
GMG> +		BorderWidth 0

GMG> it would be cleaner to just say something like:

GMG> Style "Perfmeter" Info

Can't this effect be achieved in 2.0 right now using FvwmCpp or
FvwmM4?

For example, wouldn't this:

	#define INFO NoHandles,Notitle,Sticky,WindowListSkip
	Style "Perfmeter" INFO

collected in a file (say .fvwm-styles) followed by

	FvwmCpp .fvwm-styles

in your .fvwmrc do what you're asking?

(I'm at home so can't test this myself right now, but the man page
seems to indicate it whould work this way).

I think the Style directive could be cleaned up some in other areas,
but this effect seems tailored to what FvwmCpp/FvwmM4 can already do.

  -mb-

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 09:01:41 +0100

>>>>> "Gail" == Gail Mara Gurman <[email-masked]> writes:

  Gail> AddToStyle Info	NoHandles
  Gail> +		NoTitle
  Gail> +		Sticky
  Gail> +		WindowListSkip
  Gail> +		BorderWidth 0

Why don't you just create an M4 macro that expands to

        NoHandles, NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip, BorderWidth 0

call that `Info' and use it?

        \kai{}
--
I like both kinds of music.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:55:02 -0600

>> On Wed, 11 Oct 1995 22:12:00 -0600,
>> Mark Borges(mb) wrote:
mb> Can't this effect be achieved in 2.0 right now using FvwmCpp or
mb> FvwmM4?

mb> For example, wouldn't this:

mb> 	#define INFO NoHandles,Notitle,Sticky,WindowListSkip
mb> 	Style "Perfmeter" INFO

mb> collected in a file (say .fvwm-styles) followed by

mb> 	FvwmCpp .fvwm-styles

mb> in your .fvwmrc do what you're asking?

mb> (I'm at home so can't test this myself right now, but the man page
mb> seems to indicate it whould work this way).

I just tried this. It does work for me, but only for a full start. A
simple restart will not pick the styles up, or if you subsequently
restart the styles will be lost.

This is for 2.0pl37 on a Solaris-2.3 box.

  -mb-

---

From: Peter Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 08:28:15 +0100 (MEZ)

Gail Mara Gurman wrote:
gg> Since you said that, in the future, there will be a higher number of
gg> possible styles, I'd like to make a suggestions. How about user-defined
gg> styles? 
gg> 
gg> That is, right now, the only way to group styles is for "*" or common Class
gg> or name strings. It would be nice if I could group them differently. For
gg> example:
gg> 
gg> AddToStyle Info	NoHandles
gg> +		NoTitle
gg> +		Sticky
gg> +		WindowListSkip
gg> +		BorderWidth 0
gg> 
gg> I have this combination of styles on for several applications and it would
gg> be cleaner to just say something like:
gg> 
gg> Style "Perfmeter" Info

This ist true, if editing the .fvwmrc remains the only way to configure
the behaviour.  But if one is going to write a GUI to aid the
configuration of fvwm without resoting to use a text editor, the feature 
you suggested will make this job harder.  I don't know much about
'FvwmConfig', since it was not available in fvwm-1.24r, but I would
love to see a nice GUI Frontend for editing ~/.fvwmrc.  This would
allow a much easier use for those casual users, which are unfamilar 
with the editing of ~/.*rc-files.

BTW: Has anyone here had a look into dotfile.tar.gz, which should be
available from ftp.imada.ou.dk/pub/dotfile (Europe)?  I've this
reference in my clipboard for some weeks now, but since I've only
mail/news access to the net, I haven't got someone to fetch this software 
for me yet.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany
office: +49 421 2041925 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Harner)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:56:04 -0400 (EDT)

<snip>
> love to see a nice GUI Frontend for editing ~/.fvwmrc.  This would
<snip> 
> available from ftp.imada.ou.dk/pub/dotfile (Europe)?  I've this

Every fvwm fan should have a look at http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/
to find out what Peter is referring to.  The "Dotfile Generator" even has
a special module set up for graphically configuring fvwm in all of its
details.  This web site has all of the details.

-- 
Bob Harner   [email-masked]   (703) 818-4146
GTE Government Systems, Information Systems Division, Chantilly, VA USA
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].