Subject: Re: FVWM: The list has list moved!

From: [email-masked] (Max Johnson)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 12:20:18 +0100

I'd just like to second Carl's sentiments. IMHO the FVWM digest was ideal for
keeping upto date on what was happening with FVWM without the hassle of 
constant e-mails throughout the day. I too must confess I've never seen
anyone quote an entire digest to a list.

Many thanks for going to the trouble at all though.

Max

----- Begin Included Message -----

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jason> I have decided not to continue the digest....

FYI, Let met tell you that I couldn't agree less with your third point. I'm on
several mailing lists which I (and numerous others) receive in digest form, and
neither are they difficult to reply to, nor have I ever (in the last couple of
years) seen anyone quote an entire digest to a list. (Maybe I didn't look too
well ;-)

It's just a matter of using the right mail readers ...

Thanks for all the effort though.

Carl.

----- End Included Message -----

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:01:27 -0400

>>>>> "Max" == Max Johnson <[email-masked]> writes:

Max> I'd just like to second Carl's sentiments. IMHO the FVWM digest
Max> was ideal for keeping upto date on what was happening with FVWM
Max> without the hassle of constant e-mails throughout the day. I too
Max> must confess I've never seen anyone quote an entire digest to a
Max> list.

Really?  It happens on the Dream Theater mailing list at least once a
month.  Very annoying...

Chuck

---

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 10:04:36 -0400

>anyone quote an entire digest to a list.

I have to say at this point that I was subscribed to a couple of the
linux mailing lists, which used to be strictly in digest form, and I 
regularly found that more than half the topics under discussion were
something like "Re: linux-kernel-digest may 26", which is completely
useless if you are scanning headers for keywords.

It may be that most people who use digests intentionally know what they
are doing, and are capable of editing their Subject line, but I
certainly got sick of them from my experience.

As far as the problem of mailing lists causing floods of strange mail
throughout the day that one must wade through to find the email from the
boss about the meeting he wants to have this afternoon, I just use
procmail to filter everything, and all the heavy-traffic lists go to
pseudo news groups, that I read later.

>Many thanks for going to the trouble at all though.

I'll certainly second that. :-)

tw

-- 
The shadow of the bamboo sweeps the steps, but the dust does not stir.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: John Harres <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 14:36:35 -0600

Sorry, but you mentioned that you're on it :-)

Do you have the address for the Dream Theater mailing list?

John

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:31:36 -0400

>>>>> "John" == John Harres <[email-masked]> writes:

John> Sorry, but you mentioned that you're on it :-)
John> Do you have the address for the Dream Theater mailing list?

Yup: [email-masked]

to subscribe: [email-masked] (subject of 'asdf' and
message of subscribe ytsejam, I believe)

I don't find it overly interesting any more, but it is useful for tour
info and other interesting news occasionally.

Chuck