Subject: FVWM: About fvwm2 pl 35

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:43:55 +0200

I just installed fvwm 2pl35 (thanks chuck :-) and had several problems
with it:

- fvwm.man and xpmroot.man seem to be missing (perhaps did I mess up
  things...)

- for each window that is created/deleted, FvwmIconBox prints errors
  on the console like

Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  74 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 
Major opcode of failed request:  66 
Resource id of failed request:  0x0 
etc.

  In fact it seems to happen each time a window gets the focus.

- Although I have a 'Style "Fvwm*" NoIcon' line in my .fvwmrc, an
  empty icon appears for it in FvwmIconBox. I guess it is related to the
  "No Name" patch, but since I do not have the man page...

- It would be nice to have an option to put the man pages somewhere
  else than in the default Imake location.

Other than that, things work generally well. Thanks to Rob for things
done and to Chuck for things to come...

Jean-Marc.

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Borges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:58:48 -0600

>> On Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:43:55 +0200,
>> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes(JL) wrote:
JL> I just installed fvwm 2pl35 (thanks chuck :-) and had several
JL> problems with it:

JL> - fvwm.man and xpmroot.man seem to be missing (perhaps did I mess
JL>   up things...)

No, they're not missing, just moved:

$ tar ztvf fvwm-pre-2.0-patchlevel-35.tar.gz \*fvwm.man
-rw-r--r-- hines/usr     49163 Aug  3 06:11 1995 ./fvwm/man/fvwm.man
$ tar ztvf fvwm-pre-2.0-patchlevel-35.tar.gz \*xpmroot.man
-rw-r--r-- hines/usr       449 Nov 14 08:16 1994 ./fvwm/man/xpmroot.man

  -mb-

---

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 20:19:26 +0200

>>>>> "mb" == Mark Borges <[email-masked]> writes:

    JL> - fvwm.man and xpmroot.man seem to be missing (perhaps did I
    JL> mess up things...)

    mb> No, they're not missing, just moved:

    mb> $ tar ztvf fvwm-pre-2.0-patchlevel-35.tar.gz \*fvwm.man
    mb> -rw-r--r-- hines/usr 49163 Aug 3 06:11 1995
    mb> ./fvwm/man/fvwm.man $ tar ztvf
    mb> fvwm-pre-2.0-patchlevel-35.tar.gz \*xpmroot.man -rw-r--r--
    mb> hines/usr 449 Nov 14 08:16 1994 ./fvwm/man/xpmroot.man

yes, but Imake is not aware of this fact, and make install.man fails
on  my machine.

Jean-Marc.

---

From: Nobutaka Suzuki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:33:29 +0900

--- add_window.c.orig	Thu Sep 14 02:19:16 1995
+++ add_window.c	Thu Sep 21 01:31:14 1995
@@ -507,10 +507,10 @@
        tmp_win->icon_bitmap_file != Scr.DefaultIcon)
      BroadcastName(M_ICON_FILE,tmp_win->w,tmp_win->frame,
 		   (unsigned long)tmp_win,tmp_win->icon_bitmap_file);
-  BroadcastName(M_RES_CLASS,tmp_win->w,tmp_win->frame,
-		(unsigned long)tmp_win,tmp_win->class.res_class);
-  BroadcastName(M_RES_NAME,tmp_win->w,tmp_win->frame,
-		(unsigned long)tmp_win,tmp_win->class.res_name);
+  BroadcastName(M_RES_CLASS,tmp_win->w,tmp_win->frame,(unsigned long)tmp_win,
+		tmp_win->class.res_class!= NULL ? tmp_win->class.res_class:NoClass.res_class); 
+  BroadcastName(M_RES_NAME,tmp_win->w,tmp_win->frame,(unsigned long)tmp_win,
+		tmp_win->class.res_name!=NULL ? tmp_win->class.res_name:NoClass.res_name);
 
   FetchWmProtocols (tmp_win);
   FetchWmColormapWindows (tmp_win);
--- module.c.orig	Fri Jun  2 03:21:00 1995
+++ module.c	Thu Sep 21 01:30:56 1995
@@ -705,10 +705,10 @@
 	     t->icon_bitmap_file != Scr.DefaultIcon) 
            SendName(*Module,M_ICON_FILE,t->w,t->frame,
                     (unsigned long)t,t->icon_bitmap_file);
-	  SendName(*Module,M_RES_CLASS,t->w,t->frame,
-		   (unsigned long)t,t->class.res_class);
-	  SendName(*Module,M_RES_NAME,t->w,t->frame,
-		   (unsigned long)t,t->class.res_name);
+	  SendName(*Module,M_RES_CLASS,t->w,t->frame,(unsigned long)t,
+		   t->class.res_class != NULL ? t->class.res_class:NoClass.res_class);
+	  SendName(*Module,M_RES_NAME,t->w,t->frame,(unsigned long)t,
+		   t->class.res_name != NULL ? t->class.res_name:NoClass.res_name);
 	  
 	  if((t->flags & ICONIFIED)&&(!(t->flags & ICON_UNMAPPED)))
 	    SendPacket(*Module,M_ICONIFY,7,t->w,t->frame,

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:12:28 -0400

>>>>> "Jean-Marc" == Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[email-masked]> writes:

Jean-Marc> I just installed fvwm 2pl35 (thanks chuck :-)

No problem.

Jean-Marc> and had several problems with it:

Doh!

Jean-Marc> - fvwm.man and xpmroot.man seem to be missing (perhaps did
Jean-Marc>   I mess up things...)

Nope, I caused this...  I moved them into a specific man directory
under the top level, but forgot to put that in the ChangeLog.  I was
considering moving the module man pages as well, but hadn't decided if
that was a good idea or not.  Anyone have an opinion on that?  I could
just as easily put the man pages that I moved back where they were
too.

Jean-Marc> - for each window that is created/deleted, FvwmIconBox
Jean-Marc>   prints errors on the console like

Jean-Marc> Error in FvwmIconBox:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
Jean-Marc> Major opcode of failed request:  66
Jean-Marc> Resource id of failed request:  0x0
....
Jean-Marc>   In fact it seems to happen each time a window gets the focus.

Jean-Marc> - Although I have a 'Style "Fvwm*" NoIcon' line in my
Jean-Marc>   .fvwmrc, an empty icon appears for it in FvwmIconBox. I
Jean-Marc>   guess it is related to the "No Name" patch, but since I
Jean-Marc>   do not have the man page...

I think that these FvwmIconBox problems are all related to the NoClass
changes.  I think I may switch it back to actually inserting the Class
'NoClass' again like it was before (haven't decided yet) as I'm not
certain what the benefit of the change really was (have to look at it
a little closer).

I have a partial fix from Suzuki-san for FvwmIconBox that essentially
throws those names back in there.  Don't know if it fixes all of those
problems though.

Jean-Marc> - It would be nice to have an option to put the man pages
Jean-Marc>   somewhere else than in the default Imake location.

Good idea.  I'll put it on the TO-DO list.

Jean-Marc> Other than that, things work generally well. Thanks to Rob
Jean-Marc> for things done and to Chuck for things to come...

No problem (for my part). :)

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 16:15:36 -0400

Jean-Marc> yes, but Imake is not aware of this fact, and make install.man fails
Jean-Marc> on  my machine.

Opps - hadn't counted on that!  Ok, I'll move them back to where they
were for the next release...

Chuck