Subject: FVWM: The list has list moved!

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 23:42:57 -0500

Yes, the FVWM list has moved!  This message is a followup to my earlier
message to the old fvwm list at wonderland.org.  If you receive this you're
on the list and will continue to receive discussion.

For those of you who have been subscribed to the digest, you most likely
haven't yet received my message to the old list.  I include it below.

=== Begin Included Text ===
As you may have read in previous messages here, this list is moving.  Peter
Galbavy has graciously donated his time in maintaining the list, and now he
has handed it over to me.  I have acquired the subscription lists and have
set things up at my machine, hpc.uh.edu, where I run several other mailing
lists.  All further submissions should go to [email-masked].  All further
list maintenance (subscribes, unsubscribes, etc.) should go to
[email-masked].  To talk to a human, write [email-masked]
(that's me).

I have decided not to continue the digest.  I do this for several reasons.
Firstly, with all of the setup, maintenance, and the slew of bounces I'm
likely to get from the initial announcements I have enough to do.
Secondly, I think this list has a low enough traffic that a digest version
really isn't warranted.  Thirdly, I disagree in principle to digests of
discussion lists, since the digest format makes it difficult to reply to
individual messages and you invariably get problems with someone quoting
the entire digest back to the list and such.  It's too much headache.
Perhaps in the future another person will offer to digest the list for
those of you who can't live without it.  Hoping to err on the side of
completeness, I have added all of those who subscribed to the digest to the
normal list.

I will send a test message to the new list to check for bounces and failed
addresses.  Everyone should receive this.  If you do not receive both this
message and the message from the new list, something has been fouled up and
you should subscribe yourself to the new list by sending the message
"subscribe fvwm" to [email-masked] or you will begin to miss list
traffic.

Thanks again, Peter.
==== End Included Text ====
---
  Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8687 - 221SR1
System Manager:  Texas Center for Advanced Molecular Computation 
            1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Carl Verdonck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:42:06 +0200

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jason> I have decided not to continue the digest.  I do this for several
    Jason> reasons.  Firstly, with all of the setup, maintenance, and the slew
    Jason> of bounces I'm likely to get from the initial announcements I have
    Jason> enough to do.  Secondly, I think this list has a low enough traffic
    Jason> that a digest version really isn't warranted.  Thirdly, I disagree
    Jason> in principle to digests of discussion lists, since the digest format
    Jason> makes it difficult to reply to individual messages and you
    Jason> invariably get problems with someone quoting the entire digest back
    Jason> to the list and such.  It's too much headache.  Perhaps in the
    Jason> future another person will offer to digest the list for those of you
    Jason> who can't live without it.  Hoping to err on the side of
    Jason> completeness, I have added all of those who subscribed to the digest
    Jason> to the normal list.

FYI, Let met tell you that I couldn't agree less with your third point. I'm on
several mailing lists which I (and numerous others) receive in digest form, and
neither are they difficult to reply to, nor have I ever (in the last couple of
years) seen anyone quote an entire digest to a list. (Maybe I didn't look too
well ;-)

It's just a matter of using the right mail readers ...

Thanks for all the effort though.

Carl.

"The problem is that many people confuse breathing in and out with *living*."

                  <Carl Verdonck - IMEC - Leuven - Belgium>
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

> It's just a matter of using the right mail readers ...

Another point to not bother with the digest is;

If you have the right mail readers, and the right mail filters,  then you 
really should not need some one to make a digest for you, you should be 
able to do something similar yourself.

Randall

---

From: "Craig A. Lemon [Admin]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 23:18:36 -0400 (EDT)

> able to do something similar yourself.

	But having one 30k mail is easier on the transport system (UUCP
in my case) and causes LESS overhead than receiving 60 individual messages.
My generous provider(s) will also be happier with fewer spool files around.

-- 
 Craig A. Lemon    VE3XCL (Advanced) | http://sunee.uwaterloo.ca/~calemon
 3B UWaterloo Electrical Engineering | AX.25: ve3xcl@ve3uow.#swon.on.can.na
 [email-masked] (home)         | Co-Op: Scientific-Atlanta Canada
 [email-masked] (school) | Digital Video Systems R&D, Toronto
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].