Subject: FVWM: Restart doesn't work if there are command line options

From: Eric Ding <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 13:50:20 PDT

Hi,

I'm not sure there's an elegant solution, but I'll at least point out the
"problem"  =b... if I start fvwm with some options, for instance

	fvwm -f "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"

then fvwm starts up fine.  But if I want to (for whatever crazy reason)
switch to another window manager, I usually put

	Restart twm

in my window manager and bind it to a menu item, for instance.  When I
select the function, though, I get:

twm:  unable to open twmrc file FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc, using /usr/X11R5/sun4/lib/X11/twm/system.twmrc instead

which of course is a "bad thing."  Perhaps line options should only be
passed to the restarted window manager if its executable name is the same
as the one under which the original window manager is started or something?

Eric
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 10:01:39 -0400

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Ding <[email-masked]> writes:

Eric> Hi,
Eric> I'm not sure there's an elegant solution, but I'll at least
Eric> point out the "problem" =b... if I start fvwm with some options,
Eric> for instance

Eric>   fvwm -f "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"

Eric> then fvwm starts up fine.  But if I want to (for whatever crazy
Eric> reason) switch to another window manager, I usually put

Eric>   Restart twm

Eric> in my window manager and bind it to a menu item, for instance.
Eric> When I select the function, though, I get:

Eric> twm: unable to open twmrc file FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc, using
Eric> /usr/X11R5/sun4/lib/X11/twm/system.twmrc instead

Eric> which of course is a "bad thing."  Perhaps line options should
Eric> only be passed to the restarted window manager if its executable
Eric> name is the same as the one under which the original window
Eric> manager is started or something?

Oooh.  That's not good...  I'll see about patching that for the next
release.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].