Subject: FVWM: AutoRaise on a per-window basis?

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 14:31:50 +0200

Hi there,

please excuse me if you've seen this before, mail has been acting up
here lately.

It's been some time since I've looked into AutoRaise under fvwm 2.0.
>From then, I remember that AutoRaise couldn't be enabled on a
per-window basis, it was all-or-nothing.

Now, I'm a great fan of AutoRaise on a per-window basis, and now that
AutoRaise is separated into a module, I think I could actually
implement this myself (including AutoLower, while I'm at it).
However, I don't know how to do this.  In particular, how do I make a
module that somehow receives enter window and leave window
notifications including the window id?

Is there any precedent for modules that maintain a per-window state
during their execution, part of which is determined statically on
start up (such as: always auto-raise XTerm windows), part of which
changes during run-time (such as: I want this window here to
auto-raise from now on)?

I'll be grateful for any information regarding already implemented
features like this, or examples I could look at, or documentation I
could download.

tia,
        \kai{}
--
Life is hard and then you die.
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:49:58 -0400

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]> writes:

Kai> It's been some time since I've looked into AutoRaise under fvwm
Kai> 2.0.  From then, I remember that AutoRaise couldn't be enabled on
Kai> a per-window basis, it was all-or-nothing.

That is still the case, I believe.

Kai> Now, I'm a great fan of AutoRaise on a per-window basis, and now
Kai> that AutoRaise is separated into a module, I think I could
Kai> actually implement this myself (including AutoLower, while I'm at
Kai> it).  However, I don't know how to do this.  In particular, how
Kai> do I make a module that somehow receives enter window and leave
Kai> window notifications including the window id?

Well, fvwm doesn't send that info (focus changes being the closest
thing to that), and I think that it would be just too expensive to
have it send that level of info.

But, I don't see why a module couldn't get the window id's from fvwm,
and check the windows for a style flag (after I make the mods to allow
more styles, that is) or have it's own config info with the window
names/classes (which could be done now, much like how FvwmIconBox was
done at first) that says to auto raise it.

Then, the FvwmAuto module could monitor Enter & Leave notify X events
for those windows itself, rather than get the info from fvwm.  Then,
it could send commands to fvwm based on those events.

Check out xev from the X11 distribution (it can take a window id),
since that monitors events like that, for an example.

Kai> Is there any precedent for modules that maintain a per-window
Kai> state during their execution, part of which is determined
Kai> statically on start up (such as: always auto-raise XTerm
Kai> windows), part of which changes during run-time (such as: I want
Kai> this window here to auto-raise from now on)?

I don't think so, but this could be a start.  I don't use AutoRaise
myself, but I think it sounds like a good idea and I think people
would like that.

Kai> I'll be grateful for any information regarding already
Kai> implemented features like this, or examples I could look at, or
Kai> documentation I could download.

Well, take a look at xev for starters.  I'm sure that adding the event
monitoring stuff to FvwmAuto should be pretty simple for starters.
And take a look at FvwmWinList for how to get the list of windows from
fvwm.

As for adding the additional style options & flags - that's high on my
list for right after the first official distribution of fvwm2.
Speaking of which - does anyone see anything glaring that should be
cleared up before the release?

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Fries)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 11:13:10 +0000 (GMT)

> cleared up before the release?

Um, I've not tried pl35's system.fvwmrc, so I'm sorry if I'm wasing bandwidth,
but I'd really like to see something better than the 1.x series came with..

my $.02...
-- 
Todd [email-masked]
http://www.cs.umr.edu/~tfries
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Carlos Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 13:34:47 -0300

>That is still the case, I believe.

I think you can use the Style settings to enable autoraise on a
per-window basis. This has been discussed here some time ago.

Carlos

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:31:47 -0400

>>>>> "Carlos" == Carlos Carvalho <[email-masked]> writes:

>> That is still the case, I believe.

Carlos> I think you can use the Style settings to enable autoraise on a
Carlos> per-window basis. This has been discussed here some time ago.

I don't think so.  I'm looking at the source right now and see nothing
for that.  The discussions were a wish list item then as well, I
believe.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

---

From: Carlos Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:10:22 -0300

>for that.  The discussions were a wish list item then as well, I

Hmmm... I can't find it in the manual either... Sorry. I hope it goes
in your wish list. :-)
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].