Subject: FVWM: Various

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to fvwm, so new that I'm not using it yet because I can't get it to
work properly.

I compiled pl34 the other day and today I found out about pl35 and compiled
and installed it, replacing pl34. I should have tried it first. I had
problems with pl34, but at least it was reading my .fvwmrc. pl35 just brings
up windows with grey borders and no buttons and I can't even get a menu. I
had to quit by killing the process. And that was hard because I couldn't
bring a window to the front and see all of it. 

Incidentally, both versions compiled just fine except for needing to have
lots of work done to all the Makefiles, which was a pain.

So, the following problems I've experienced were happening in pl34. I don't
know if they happen with pl35.

1. Whenever I use a module (for example, FvwmIdent), I can't do anything to
   it (besides move it) without all of fvwm getting killed. I can't click in
   the window or close it or destroy it. Basically, I just have to let it
   stay there.

2. On a related note, other things, when exited will sometimes crash fvwm. I
   I haven't experimented enough to see what doesn't cause a crash, but most
   things do.

3. When I start up X, I have two things that start iconified: the console
   window, and my calendar program. I want these two icons in particular
   places: the console icon in the top left corner, and the calendar icon
   just to the right of it. The calendar program has a switch that tells it
   where to put the icon. But with fvwm, the icon always ends up in the same
   place as the console icon. If I click on it, sometimes it will move to
   where it's supposed to be. I've tried giving it it's own IconBox
   definition, but that doesn't help. How can I put it exactly where I want
   it?

4. It would be great if I could have fvwm tell me what it's doing or send
   errors to a file. I was experimenting with Wait and it seemed like the
   window it was supposed to wait for was up and it was still waiting, but I
   couldn't tell what was going on. This may be what FvwmDebug is for, but 
   that didn't come with the package. 

Please help!

Thanks.

Gail
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Gail Mara Gurman)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

> %% Regarding FVWM: Various; you wrote:
>     gmg> Incidentally, both versions compiled just fine except for
>     gmg> needing to have lots of work done to all the Makefiles, which
>     gmg> was a pain.
> You shouldn't need any work done to the makefiles, so this is
> suspicious.  However, you don't give nearly enough information for us to
> help you.

The changes had to do with MANPATH not being set the way I wanted it,
XPMINCLUDE not being used, and my not setting FVWMDIR properly.
 
> What version of UNIX are you using?  What compiler?  What make?  What
> version of XPM?  What version of X11?  What kinds of things did you have
> to do to the makefile?  Why didn't xmkmf do those for you (do you have
> xmkmf)?  Are you sure you modified your .xinitrc file correctly to
> invoke fvwm (or are you using XDM or something)?  Did fvwm install in
> the right place?

I'm using Solaris 2.4, my compiler is "/usr/local/SUNWspro/SC3.0/bin/cc".
make is "/usr/ccs/bin/make" (I know pathnames aren't usually helpful, but
that's the best I can do). I'm using OpenWin. I already mentioned what I had
to do to the Makefiles. My .xinitrc does properly invoke fvwm. If it didn't,
I wouldn't have been able to use pl34. fvwm did install in the right place.
 
> You should always redirect output to a file when starting X; that helps
> greatly.  For example, I use this little script to start X on my system:
>   #!/bin/sh
>   exec startx > $HOME/.Xerrorlog 2>&1

I use xinit, but it should work the same. I'll try it next time.

Gail