Subject: FVWM: 2 proposals: selectable titles, and open-next-window markers

From: Michael Lachmann-Tarkhanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:36:11 -0700 (PDT)

I have 2 things to propose for fvwm.
1. would it be possible to make the window-titles selectable?
This is a feature of gwm. I miss it especially when I have the path of an xterm
window in the title, or while configuring the fvwmrc.
2. Sometimes I start a program, and it takes several seconds to open the
window. If I want the window to open on a particular desktop, I wait there,
till the window comes up. Could it be possible to leave 'markers' on desktops
saying 'I want the next window to open here' ?

	Michael Lachmann
	[email-masked]
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Paul Bibilo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 09:57:13 +0100

> saying 'I want the next window to open here' ?

I would like to see this too.

Paul.

-- 
Paul Bibilo, Delcam International plc, |  Tel: +44 121 766 5544
Talbot Way, Small Heath, Birmingham,   |  Fax: +44 121 766 5511
England, B10 0HJ.                 _____|_____
#include <disclaimer.h>          | BLAT FOOP |

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 10:00:30 -0400

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Lachmann-Tarkhanov <[email-masked]> writes:

Michael> I have 2 things to propose for fvwm.

Michael> 1. would it be possible to make the window-titles selectable?
Michael> This is a feature of gwm. I miss it especially when I have
Michael> the path of an xterm window in the title, or while
Michael> configuring the fvwmrc.

Interesting...  Non trivial to add, but interesting.  Perhaps easier
would be a small module that puts the window (Name, IconName, Class,
Resource, or any other info from FvwmIdent, depending on a parameter
to it) into the X selection buffer?  That would probably be much
easier, and could be added to your window options menu.

Michael> 2. Sometimes I start a program, and it takes several seconds
Michael> to open the window. If I want the window to open on a
Michael> particular desktop, I wait there, till the window comes
Michael> up. Could it be possible to leave 'markers' on desktops
Michael> saying 'I want the next window to open here' ?

Perhaps, but what if the next window to open isn't the one you
expected?  BTW - take a look at the fvwm man page where it talks about
this:

          Some applications, like xterm and xfontsel, allow the user
          to specify the start-up desk on the command line:

               xterm -xrm "*Desk:1"

          will start an xterm on desk number 1. Not all applications
          understand this option, however.

That may help you.

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].