Subject: FVWM: Keymapping problem

From: [email-masked] (John Henders)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:07:41 -0700 (PDT)

I've installed 2.0.35 and it looks good so far. Other than getting it to
install in a $LIB/fvwm2 directory, which I ended up doing by hand, and
the conversion of my old rc file to the new format, I had no problems
with Linux and XFree 3.12.

I've got one problem though that I'm still stuck on, and a couple of
ideas for the 2.0 suggestion box.

First, the problem, mapping to a key that doesn't have a name. A long
time ago on this list, someone mentioned they'd mapped the cntrl-grey
insert-home-pg.up block of keys to GotoPage commands for a 2x6 pager. I
liked this idea, because those keys are easy to reach with your thumb on
the control key for fast window changes. However, I remap the delete key
to ^D with Xmodmap keycode 107 = 0x04.  Unfortunately, this seems to
leave me with no name to map the delete key with, and fvwem won't map to
the keycode number. Any suggestions?

As far as suggestions go, two things I'd like to see in fvwm would be:

First. a per page strategy for window placement. Currently , I use
SmartPlacement and RandomPlacement. This works fine with the first few
windows I open, which are tiled to the NW gravity point. Then, if I goto
a different page, the first window is placed in the open NW corner, but
subsequent windows are opened at random, as fvwm seems to think it's
exausted the tiling space, even though the new page in the pager only
has one window open. Turning off RandomPlacement just means I have to
hand place every window after the first one open, which I'd like to
avoid. Maybe a TiledPlacement keyword would be appropriate. As well, it
would be nice to be able to define the space left between windows when
they tile. Currently, I find the windows are tiled a bit tightly, and I
end up adjusting them by hand.

Second, an alternate drawing strategy for FvwmPager. Maybe this is a
bug, but I discovered I can swallow FvwmPager 0 0 and have a 6x2 pager
showing in FvwmButtons, but I can use Desk 0 1, Desk 0 2, etc to jump to
new desktops and open windows. But, they don't show up in the pager
window, which continues to show Desk 0 0. I think it would be quite
useful to exploit this, to avoid the pager window gobbling extra space
on my desk, by having FvwmPager be able to map the active desk into the
same window.

I see fvwm 2 now allows xlock -mode swirl to work properly, which was a
pleasant surprise.

-- 
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                     b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 11:11:11 -0400

>>>>> "John" == John Henders <[email-masked]> writes:

John> I've installed 2.0.35 and it looks good so far. Other than
John> getting it to install in a $LIB/fvwm2 directory, which I ended
John> up doing by hand, and the conversion of my old rc file to the
John> new format, I had no problems with Linux and XFree 3.12.

What problems did you have installing it?  If it was the man pages not
being installed, I know about (caused) that problem.

John> I've got one problem though that I'm still stuck on, and a
John> couple of ideas for the 2.0 suggestion box.

John> First, the problem, mapping to a key that doesn't have a name. A
John> long time ago on this list, someone mentioned they'd mapped the
John> cntrl-grey insert-home-pg.up block of keys to GotoPage commands
John> for a 2x6 pager. I liked this idea, because those keys are easy
John> to reach with your thumb on the control key for fast window
John> changes. However, I remap the delete key to ^D with Xmodmap
John> keycode 107 = 0x04.  Unfortunately, this seems to leave me with
John> no name to map the delete key with, and fvwem won't map to the
John> keycode number. Any suggestions?

Yeah - don't use xmodmap to change that key.  Instead use the
individual apps (like XTerm) X resources to change it.

John> As far as suggestions go, two things I'd like to see in fvwm
John> would be:

John> First. a per page strategy for window placement. Currently , I
John> use SmartPlacement and RandomPlacement. This works fine with the
John> first few windows I open, which are tiled to the NW gravity
John> point. Then, if I goto a different page, the first window is
John> placed in the open NW corner, but subsequent windows are opened
John> at random, as fvwm seems to think it's exausted the tiling
John> space, even though the new page in the pager only has one window
John> open. Turning off RandomPlacement just means I have to hand
John> place every window after the first one open, which I'd like to
John> avoid. Maybe a TiledPlacement keyword would be appropriate. As
John> well, it would be nice to be able to define the space left
John> between windows when they tile. Currently, I find the windows
John> are tiled a bit tightly, and I end up adjusting them by hand.

A tiled placement option probably isn't a bad idea, but I think that a
window moving module (FvwmTile) would be cooler.  You could invoke it
at any time to retile a set of windows (based on name, class, or
whatever) on the current page and you could set the parameters like
direction & spacing.  I'll add it to the TO-DO list.

By the way, if anyone wants too, feel free to take a crack at anything
on the TO-DO list.  As I've stated in the past, my spare time to work
on this is limited and any help is appreciated.

John> Second, an alternate drawing strategy for FvwmPager. Maybe this is a
John> bug, but I discovered I can swallow FvwmPager 0 0 and have a 6x2 pager
John> showing in FvwmButtons, but I can use Desk 0 1, Desk 0 2, etc to jump to
John> new desktops and open windows. But, they don't show up in the pager
John> window, which continues to show Desk 0 0. I think it would be quite
John> useful to exploit this, to avoid the pager window gobbling extra space
John> on my desk, by having FvwmPager be able to map the active desk into the
John> same window.

Actually, it already does this when it's iconified.  The icon is the
pager for the current desk.  But, I think that the non iconified
single desk pager should have an option to do this as well.  Now on
the TO-DO list.

John> I see fvwm 2 now allows xlock -mode swirl to work properly,
John> which was a pleasant surprise.

And it looks real pretty too...

Chuck

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines
IBM Logic Synthesis developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
and Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

Internet e-mail:     [email-masked]

IBM Internal e-mail: [email-masked]   (preferred from workstation)
                     HINESC at FISHKILL       (preferred from mainframe)
                     HINESC at FSHVMFK1       (discouraged, but I'll get it)

*******************************************************************************
 "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

 "I have a paper plate in my head because they were all out of the metal ones"
                                                        - Rick Overton
*******************************************************************************
--
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].