Subject: FVWM: Automatic focusing? (newbie)

From: Dedeco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:00:24 -0300

Hello,

  I had a simple problem wich I solved with something very simple: I 
didn't wanted my FvwmButtons toolbar to steal focus from a window in the 
screen since it really doens't use it so I added NeverFocus style to 
FvwmButtons.

  Now I have the following problem but I don't know how to deal it. When 
I switch desktops using the FvwmPager Swallowed by the mentioned Button 
bar, I wanted that any window besides the button bar itself in the 
desktop I choose should be (or get) focused. Using the keyboard to do 
this is no point because I would use ALT+TAB from the beginning; the 
mouse is (obviously) over the bar...

   I do not see that to use for this, so couldn't search very well... :(

   What do you suggest?

Thanks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:34:35 +0100

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:00:24PM -0300, Dedeco wrote:
>  Now I have the following problem but I don't know how to deal it.
> When I switch desktops using the FvwmPager Swallowed by the mentioned
> Button bar, I wanted that any window besides the button bar itself in
> the desktop I choose should be (or get) focused. Using the keyboard to
> do this is no point because I would use ALT+TAB from the beginning;
> the mouse is (obviously) over the bar...

I'm not understanding what you're wanting to do.  Can you perhaps
provide a screenshot which shows what you mean?

-- Thomas Adam

--  
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:52:12 -0400

> provide a screenshot which shows what you mean?

I think Dedeco wants to change what FvwmPager does
on a button press.

The closest thing I see is the SloppyFocus option
for FvwmPager.
That causes FvwmPager to run this:

FlipFocus NoWarp

Other than that, I don't see where FvwmPager allows
any customization of the command run after a click.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:08:05 +0100

> mouse is (obviously) over the bar...

I use this:

*FvwmEvent: new_page 'Current (!CurrentPage) Prev (CurrentPage) Focus NoWarp'

The Current (!CurrentPage) is just to stop focus switching wildly when
dragging the viewport via the pager. (Note, if you dont already use
FvwmEvent you will have to add it to your StartFunction)

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dedeco <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:31:56 -0300

I wrote:

>Button bar (NeverFocus, styles), I wanted that any window besides the button
>bar itself in the desktop I choose should be (or get) focused.
>
Maybe I should have said I use the SloppyFocus style.
I'll try to clear the idea, but if it doesn't help I'll make a real 
picture of it. :)

Button bar has Sticky and NeverFocus styles.
So. I have a xterm window opened and focused on desktop 1:1. Lets say I 
copied some text from it and want to paste it on a editor window on 
desktop 1:2. I might change to that desktop moving the mouse over the 
FvwmPager inside the Button bar I have. When the cursor reaches the 
Button, the xterm window DOESN'T lose focus since the ButtonBar has the 
NeverFocus style, right?
When the desktop 1:2 is selected and shown with the editor opened no 
window is focused! The situation is: mouse over the Button bar 
(NeverFocus) and the editor window doesn't have the focus. No more 
windows on this desktop.
I wanted that in this situation the editor window had got the fucos.

I hope that is  clearer, folks.

Thanks a lot.