Subject: FVWM: Mozilla "losts keyboard focus" sometimes

From: Peter Niemayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:40:24 +0200

Hi,

I tried to add the following note to your fvwm bug-report:

  I've got the exact same problem since I upgraded to Fedora
  Core 4 / mozilla-1.7.6-2.

  I should mention that I've been using fvwm(2) for about 15
  years on different operating systems now, and mozilla since
  it first came out, and until recently I haven't had any such trouble.

  Sometimes, the focus is not entirely lost but is sticking
  to a different window (of mozilla), which is supposed not
  to have focus (according to fvwms coloring of the window border).
  I have to restart fvwm several times a day now because of that
  annoying problem (which may of course be caused by Mozilla, but
  why does a restart of fvwm alone help, then?).

Alas, the bug-reporting system seems to ignore my submission.

Have you found any fix or workaround?

Regards,

Peter Niemayer

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 02:38:59 +0100

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 06:40:24PM +0200, Peter Niemayer wrote:

>  Sometimes, the focus is not entirely lost but is sticking to a
>  different window (of mozilla), which is supposed not to have focus
>  (according to fvwms coloring of the window border). I have to restart

Presumably you mean a transient window?  How do you know that it isn't
supposed to receive the focus?

>  fvwm several times a day now because of that annoying problem (which
>  may of course be caused by Mozilla, but why does a restart of fvwm
>  alone help, then?).

Which focus policy are you using?

-- Thomas Adam

--  
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:50:34 +0200

> Have you found any fix or workaround?

The problem appeared several years ago, and I think it's mozilla
"forgetting" which window has focus.  It often appears when using
tabs, and sometimes closing the offending tab (whichever this may
be) "fixes" the problem.  I spent lots of time debugging this
problem, but never could find anything that fvwm does wrong.
After all, the problem even appears if you leave the focus on the
mozilla window and just switch between tabs.  Fvwm does absolutely
nothing with the focus in this case.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Niemayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:06:08 +0200

> supposed to receive the focus?

No transient windows. Example situation: I have two Mozilla windows open,
one with the mail interface, and one ordinary browser window. I want to
type text into a form on a web-page, so I click into the text-input field.
The browser window is now highlighted as having focus, and even the cursor
inside the text entry field blinks. But whenever I type something, it
goes to the mail interface window that is not supposed to be active - I
can e.g. scroll the message in the mail display by pressing up/down even
though the browser window is supposed to have focus. This situation is
"sticky" - I can still click into e.g. xterm windows and type there, but
whenever I click into the browser window again, the focus is wrongly
assigned to the mail window. Only restarting fvwm resolves the problem.

While this annoyingly happens several times a day, I've not found a
reliable way to reproduce the situation quickly, which certainly does
not make debugging easier.

> Which focus policy are you using?

Style "*" ClickToFocus

(no exceptions) and (if that matters)...:

Style "*" NoIcon
Style "*" MWMFunctions
Style "*" HintOverride
Style "*" MWMDecor
Style "*" DecorateTransient

Thanks for any hints in advance,

Peter Niemayer

---

From: Björn Steinbrink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:52:51 +0200

> assigned to the mail window. Only restarting fvwm resolves the problem.

This is, AFAICT, not FVWM related, as I have experienced the same with
metacity (Gnome) and IIRC also with wmi. Often changing focus using
alt+tab works here to get a correct focus. I think that Mozilla tries to
keep track of the currently focussed window itself and has some bug
there, as I sometimes even get a bookmark opened in the wrong window,
although it was selected from the bookmark menu.

Björn

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 08:15:36 -0700

> although it was selected from the bookmark menu.

I have had many many many focus problems with mozilla and firefox.
Sometimes page down will apear to do nothing, yet I later discover
some other opened tab has paged down for no reason.  Opening a link in
a new window using the right click menu loses focus when the new
window goes away; I have to click in the old window to use page
up/down again.  Pasting into the URL field with the middle button
sometimes forgets the focus and I have to click somewhere in the URL
in order to hit ENTER.  Showing a tab while it is still resolving the
name or before anything much has been downloaded (and nothing
displayed) leaves the focus somewhere other than the page itself, and
I have to click somewhere innocuous before page up/down work.

Some are repeatable, most are not.  Mozilla/firefox has terrible focus
problems, whether using it with Redhat, gentoo, or slackware.

-- 
            ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._.
     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [email-masked]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:59:01 -0400

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn?= Steinbrink <[email-masked]> writes:
> > >=20
> >=20
> > No transient windows. Example situation: I have two Mozilla windows open,=
> 
> > type text into a form on a web-page, so I click into the text-input field=
> .
> > The browser window is now highlighted as having focus, and even the curso=
> r

That was a good hint.  It led me on a long trail which finally
ended in gtk.
If your copy of Mozilla is built against gtk2, I believe this
patch will fix your problems:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=46042&action=view

You may need a gnome account to access that page but I don't
think so.  The patch is about a month old so there may be
a release containing the patch.  I built from source.
I believe it finally fixed a Mozilla focus problem I've been having.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]