Subject: Re: FVWM: Session Management under fvwm2

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 00:32:47 +0100 (BST)

--- Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> AddToFunc InitFunction
> + I Exec sleep 5 
> + I Exec exec xearth -label -wait 240         
> 
> The programs that I load routinely are the Opera browser, the Pan
> newsreader and the Gnome terminal.  I load each of them onto a
> different
> page and envisage that the pages need to be specified in the start-up
> file. It would be great if the programs opened at the point at which
> they were closed when fvwm2 was shutdown.  I suspect that all the
> mentioned programs are already configured to do that, but need to try
> it before I can be certain.

Right -- you want to see 'SessionInitFunction' as that function is the
same as the above *except* that it runs only via a session manager.
 
> I hope that I have the terminology correct.

Yup.  I hate doing this, but you might also want to read an article I
published on session management and fvwm:

http://linuxgazette.net/100/adam.html

-- Thomas Adam

___________________________________________________________ 
How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday 
snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 01:15:41 +0000

> same as the above *except* that it runs only via a session manager.

No. The only usage of SessionInitFunction I know is to start FvwmBanner.
I don't think X applications (even xearth) belong to SessionInitFunction.
Otherwise a user gets 2 copies of the same applications on the next
start, one copy is started by a session manager. However different X
programs behave differently regarding SM, so if SM does not start one,
then and only then it may be placed in SessionInitFunction.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 03:26:28 +0100

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:15:41AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> so if SM does not start one, then and only then it may be placed in
> SessionInitFunction.

Quite.  I assumed this was such an instance.

-- Thomas Adam

--  
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:50:38 +1000

On Mon, 09 May 2005 00:32:47 +0100, Thomas Adam wrote
(<[email-masked]>):

> you might also want to read an article I published on session
> management and fvwm:
>

Belatedly, I have finally located a  fvwm man page that appears to
address my problems.  It says:

,----

|  Most users just should put:
| 
|             fvwm-themes-start
| 
|        as  the  last  line of their .Xclients, .xinitrc or .xsession file.  If
|        you want to use FVWM Themes with a real session manager, say GNOME, you
|        need to use the --no-start option and put:
| 
|             fvwm-themes-start --no-start
|             gnome-session
`----

And then?

It looks as though both entries are taken seriously.  I end up with
the gnome desktop and my previous-loaded packages - when loaded onto
the desktop - open at the point at which I had left them when I shut down
fvwm2.

The first tweak suggested in:

does not appear to work in conjunction with "fvwm-themes".  I have
failed to locate the "gnome-session-manager" (because I lack a basic
familiarity with Gnome) and I suspect that the "killall" command needs
additional modification if it is to start "fvwm-themes" next time.

And, in view of the other posts, where should the xearth command go?
Left where it is or into ".xinitrc"?

I venture to send this follow-up, because it looks as though it now needs
very little to achieve what I was trying to do.

Felix Karpfen
-- 
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:27:28 +0100

> And then?

And then... what?  that's it.  Fvwm is running within the session
manager - you can do as you were.  :)

> additional modification if it is to start "fvwm-themes" next time.

The "killall" command is used so that the current running window manager
is kicked out from under the session manager, replacing it with fvwm.
With fvwm-themes, this is just fvwm, so --replace will still work,
providing you call not fvwm-themes, but:

fvwm -f themes-rc

(IIRC -- it has been a while since I last looked at fvwm-themes.)  As
for gnome-session-manager -- it's just called 'gnome-session'.

> And, in view of the other posts, where should the xearth command go  ?
> Left where it is or into ".xinitrc"                                  ?

It should be OK where it is.

> I venture to send this follow-up, because it looks as though it now
> needs very little to achieve what I was trying to do.

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam