Subject: FVWM: At my wits end -- help!

From: David Ashley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 06:57:41 -0700

This isn't a problem specific to fvwm, I saw it in twm also, but it is
driving me nuts.

I just switched to an amd64 system. I'm using xinerama to have 2 1600x1200
displays side by side. When I ssh into a remote host ahd have x11 forwarding
turned on, whenever I try to open any application that would open a window,
it doesn't open properly or render to the displays. If the application would
have a border, I just get the border and inside I just see the background
of the display, and it gets dragged around as I drag the border around.

If I don't have a window manager running (fvwm2) there's no problem. I've
tried twm also. I tried building fvwm2 with no xinerama support and that
didn't improve anything.

I'm running:
FVWM version 2.4.16 compiled on May 12 2005 at 09:37:12
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Xinerama

I've tried much more recent fvwm2 and all versions have the same problem.

Details:

AMD64 system
X.org server X Window System Version 6.8.2
fvwm 2.4.16 and all others
nv and nvidia drivers both tried, no difference
Video cards are 2 geforce2 mx400 pci cards
Problem only arises with X11 forwarding over ssh
Problem goes away if I don't run a window manager
Problem occurs with twm also

In order to clean up the frame that's left sitting there I need to execute
some command on the remote host to kill the application. The frame stays
around. Then I pop up the "Destroy" icon Window Ops item and click on the
frame, then it goes away.

If anyone has any clue as to where the problem might reside, please let me
know. CC [email-masked] on all replies please.

Thanks!!!
-Dave
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].