Subject: FVWM: SnapAttraction problem

From: David Vilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:55:34 +0200

Hi!

I have a problem using SnapAttraction. With this simple config the
problem shows up:

   SnapAttraction 20 Windows Screen

   DestroyFunc MoveM 
   AddToFunc MoveM
   + M Move
   Mouse 1 WSFT M MoveM

When I move a window dragging the title bar (builtin in fvwm or
using a self-defined function) the SnapAttraction works flawlessly,
but when I move it using Alt+Mouse1 it seems to work only the first
time, but no more. Is it something I missed or is it a bug in fvwm?
I use fvwm 2.5.12, Debian packaged version.

Thank you in advance,

David

-- 
David Vilar Torres			RWTH Aachen
Tel: (+49) 241 80 21611			Lehrstuhl f. Informatik VI
Fax: (+49) 241 80 22219			Ahornstr. 55
[email-masked]		D-52056 Aachen (Germany)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:00:18 +0100

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:55:34PM +0200, David Vilar wrote:
> When I move a window dragging the title bar (builtin in fvwm or using
> a self-defined function) the SnapAttraction works flawlessly, but when
> I move it using Alt+Mouse1 it seems to work only the first time, but
> no more. Is it something I missed or is it a bug in fvwm? I use fvwm
> 2.5.12, Debian packaged version.

That's normal behaviour.

-- Thomas Adam

--  
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Vilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:34:35 +0200

> > 2.5.12, Debian packaged version.

??

I don't understand why. From the man page:

  "If  during  an interactive move the window or icon comes within
  proximity pixels of another the window or icon, it is moved to
  make the borders adjoin."

Is the move within the MoveM function not interactive? Then why does
it work sometimes? How can I manage that the MoveM command also
snaps?

Greetings,

David

-- 
My fvwm config: http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~vilar/fvwm.html

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:26:26 +0000

> I use fvwm 2.5.12, Debian packaged version.

It is not very clear what do you mean by "only the first time", but it
sounds like you describe a regression in 2.5.12 regarding Alt in Move.
This was fixed on 1 Nov 2004 (after 2.5.12). The Alt key should only
disable snap during Move when released and pressed explicitely.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: David Vilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:10:51 +0200

> disable snap during Move when released and pressed explicitely.

Ok, I just compiled the latest snapshot and it works as (I had)
expected. With my current version I also tried releasing the alt key
while moving a window and then the snapping works. I think I can
live with it until the next release ;-)

[Section success stories: Actually this was for a colleague of mine
at work. I have managed to switch 3 people from various window
managers to fvwm!]

Greetings,

David