Subject: FVWM: gnome-panel hogs desktop space in fvwm

From: Jim Cline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:55:53 -0400 (EDT)

I am running gnome-panel from within fvwm, and recently upgraded to the 
newest version of gnome-panel.  When I maximize windows now, they do not 
fill the screen as they used to, instead only that part of the screen 
not taken by the panel.  The new gnome panel is sending window hints (more 
like commands than hints!) that the old one did not.  How can I override 
this so that windows cover up the panel when they are maximized, or 
otherwise invoked?

thanks--Jim
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Espen, Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:14:52 -0400

> this so that windows cover up the panel when they are maximized, or 

Look in the man page for GnomeIgnoreHints, and the EWMH flags, like
EMWHIgnoreWorkingArea.

---

From: Jim Cline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:52:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dan,

thanks for that idea; I did try Style * GNOMEIgnoreHints, to no effect.
As for ewmh, this would require installation of the fvwm-ewmh package?
I am in the midest of trying to repair my system after getting various 
library conflicts from manual installations versus apt-gets of debian 
packages, so if there is a solution within fvwm2 this would be best.

--Jim

---

From: "Espen, Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:12:04 -0400

> packages, so if there is a solution within fvwm2 this would be best.

No, you should not need the fvwm-ewmh package, (whatever that is),
if your copy of fvwm is built with ewmh support (it should be)
then the ewmh commands should work.

Note that the maximize command has a argument that tells it to ignore
these hints too.

---

From: Jim Cline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:50:28 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Dan, that did the trick:  I added

Style * 	  EWMHPlacementIgnoreWorkingArea
Style *           EWMHMaximizeIgnoreWorkingArea
which solved the problem.

Part of my confusion in understanding your first message is that I was 
referring to the stable fvwm man page,
http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/stable/fvwm2.php
I didn't realize that this was a feature only of the unstable version.

thanks again, I'm really happy to solve this!  --Jim