Subject: FVWM: drag & drop ...

From: Lars Segerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:21:57 +0200

Hi,

  I have looked a bit, but I cant find out if fvwm supports 'drag & drop' to the 
 'desktop'/'root window'.
  I have looked at the spec from opendesktop.org and stuff, and there seem's to be
 somewhat of a standard for stuff like this.
  So does anybody know if thee is a way of making fvwm do this ? 
 ( if not, would it be a worthwhile addition ? It doesn't seem that complicated
   fvwm already manages icons & windows and stuff .. ).

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:16:44 +0200

>   I have looked a bit, but I cant find out if fvwm supports 'drag & drop' to the 

AFAIK fvwm does not support it. Instead you should/could use other tools 
for this, e.g. "rox-filer".

Gert

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:19:25 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:21:57AM +0200, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>   I have looked a bit, but I cant find out if fvwm supports 'drag
>  & drop' to the 'desktop'/'root window'. I have looked at the spec
>  from opendesktop.org and stuff, and there seem's to be somewhat of a
>  standard for stuff like this. So does anybody know if thee is a way
>  of making fvwm do this ? ( if not, would it be a worthwhile addition
>  ? It doesn't seem that complicated fvwm already manages icons &
>  windows and stuff .. ).

And I should hope not.  Fvwm is a window manager, not a desktop
environment.  If you want to be able to drag and drop (which implies the
use of some file manager to do it) see "rox" [1].  That uses a
'pinboard' on the root-window which allows you to drop things to it.
The program 'dfm' also allows for this.

-- Thomas Adam

[1]  http://rox.sf.net

--  
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Fernando Poza Saura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:11:26 +0200

> use of some file manager to do it) see "rox" [1].  That uses a

I've taking a look to this "rox" thing, and it looks nice it you want 
drag&drop capabilities. Does anyone have experience in having rox 
working in fvwm?, is it going to brake something if fvwm?

Actually the other day I was looking for something similar to a 
graphical file manager, and this looks a very good option.

May be I'll give it a try.

Thanks Thomas

Fernando

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:53 +0100

> working in fvwm?, is it going to brake something if fvwm?

Yes, I do.  Depending on how you start fvwm, if your method (typically
via startx, xdm) uses ~/.xsession, I used to have the line:

rox -p mypinboard &

"mypinboard" is just a name of a pinboard -- you can define as many as
you like.

Or, if that's not an option, add a line to your StartFunction:

+ I Exec exec rox -p mypinboard

Then you can start dragging stuff around.  One thing I did not mention
to you before, was the fact that there is also an Fvwm module called
'FvwmDragWell' which can provide XDnD support, if you so wish.  Haven't
used it in ages, though.

-- Thomas Adam

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:57:07 -0800

>'FvwmDragWell' which can provide XDnD support, if you so wish.  Haven't
This is actually good to know.  I never really understood or took the
time to understand what the rox filer pinboard option really did.  I
tried it today and it is pretty darn cool. 

I don't understand at all what FvwmDragWell does and how it works.