Subject: FVWM: DynamicPopupAction :-)

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:25:47 +0100

Hello *,

For soe hours I have tried the first time the Example in the
fvwm2 manpage reading a Directory with JPEG's dynamicly...

Nice, but too boring  :-)

Now I have thumbs shown in the menu...

How it works... not on the fly, because if you have pics like me...

    <http://michelle.konzack.home.tamay-dogan.homelinux.net/bash/>

and look at "tdmakexpms" around the end of the page.

Oh yes, you need "netpbm" to create the thumbs... and "xloadimage"
to put the picture on your root.  The default Directory is ~/wall.

Do not ask me how the menus are looking on a 1600x1200 Screen...
I do not know, how many pics I have.

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/ 
Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:27:45 -0800

>I do not know, how many pics I have.

I didn't see a screenshot of this on your site when I just went but this 
sounds oddly familiar to something else I have seen:  
http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/screenshots/browsewall.png 

this is an awesome application of what you describe with the added 
ability to set a chosen picture as your desktop background.

Cheers
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:49:25 -0500

> I do not know, how many pics I have.

When I tried to download tdmakexpms, I got file not found.

Anyway,  I built the xpms myself.   I have a lot of  root images so my
image  menus break them  down  by type,  "animals", "space", "planes",
etc.  Even with that, I still have lots of menus that are 4 or 5 deep.
I don't use dynamic menus, it's way too slow.

I gave your dynamic menu script a try with my setup.
Taking a screenshot of the dynamic menu fully expanded was a challenge
but I finally got it:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/menu.jpg

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:44:16 +0100

> ability to set a chosen picture as your desktop background.

:-)

but if you have, like me, 2500 PICS in the Directory
you will not happy with the Thumnail-Menus... 

:-)

Oh yes, the file 'tdmakexpms' had the false permission
and was not downloadable. I have correted this part.

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:49:23 +0100

> When I tried to download tdmakexpms, I got file not found.

I have seen the error logs already and it is solved.
(was false permission)

> I don't use dynamic menus, it's way too slow.

I know...
I was thinking about a script which starts in the background
while you are loging into your system ant it create the menu
directly with submenus
(console, while starting X with startx manualy as needed.
I personaly working 90% on the console)

:-)

:-)

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:13:42 +0100

Hello Catherine,

> http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/screenshots/browsewall.png 

My is similar...

Q:  On the right there is the FvwmButton with three swallowed Apps

    1)  wmcpuload
    2)  something which watch MEM/SWAP
    3)  Clock/Date

    Whats the manes of the later two apps ?
    I have not found it in Debian.

> ability to set a chosen picture as your desktop background.

Jes, but the main-goal was the 'tdmakexpms' which create the thumbs
in a xpmcache. for faster loading...

First I have tried to do it on the fly... Oops...

You can not make Thumbs of JPEGs of 1600x1200...  It takes to much time.
Even on a Athlon XP 3000+ I have to wait around 4 secons per Wallpaper.

So, executing 'tdmakexpms' from a menu is much better, because it can
act in the background.  I was thinking, that I add a visible mode to my
script and use Xdialog to show the files on which my script is acting.

:-)

I love Xdialog...

        AND FVWM !!!

Now using fvwm2 since 05/1999 successfuly...

Do not ask me about my first experience using fvwm2 in Debian/SLINK 2.1
while I was beginner in GNU/Linux...

Downloaded only the 7 install Floppies, mc, xverver v3, fvwm2 and
netscape 4.72.

Not much, but it was working on a P1/200Mhz and 64 MB of memory with a
850 MB harddisc.

The first time I have tried to configure fvwm2 was "THE HELL"...

...but I have leaned GNU/Linux the hard way with Hardcore-Debian.

Thanks to the Developers of fvwm and all its contributors.

> Cheers

Happy fvwming and coding
Michelle

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:39:27 -0500

> while you are loging into your system ant it create the menu

I've found always having my menus built consumes too much
memory.  Right now I have a menu entry for "build image menus".
That works for me since I rarely use the image menus.  I usually don't
select images, I let cron change them every hour.

---

From: jpkotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:02:27 -0600

> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/menu.jpg

That's quite an impressive screenshot!  I see some pictures that I have as  
well, mostly space ones.

So here's my dynamic wallpaper menu.  I basically grifted taviso's and  
built upon it.  It dynamically generates thumbnails from directories it  
hasn't visited, and caches them for future use.  It will also clean things  
out if the cache gets too big (this part needs some tweaking).  I've tried  
to make it as efficient as possible for uncached directories, and the  
conversion can run in the background so it will not freeze fvwm (this part  
needs some tweaking as well).  It uses ImageMagick convert.

Here's a screenshot:  
http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?screen_type=1&screen_id=451790615420af227999cc&m=screen

################################################################################
# WALLPAPER
################################################################################

DestroyMenu Wallpaper
AddToMenu Wallpaper
+ MissingSubmenuFunction                    WallpaperBrowser
+ "Wallpaper%mini.folder.xpm%"              Popup  
/home/jpkotta/pics/wallpaper
+ "Home%mini.folder.xpm%"                   Popup /home/jpkotta
+ "Refresh Wallpaper%mini.display.xpm%"     ResetWallpaper

# defines a popup menu built from the directory given in $0 (must be the  
full path)
# sends files to SetWallpaper
# title sends $0 to StartImageViewer
# dynamically builds a menu with with fvwm-menu-directory with thumbnails  
of image files as the icons
# auto generates thumbnails if they don't exist or are older than the file
# this is based on taviso's WallpaperBrowser function, but I added extra  
logic to it and put it in a script
DestroyFunc WallpaperBrowser
AddToFunc WallpaperBrowser
+ I     PipeRead '$[FVWM_USERDIR]/thumb_menu.sh $0'

DestroyFunc SetWallpaper
AddToFunc SetWallpaper
+ I     Exec Esetroot -fit -center $0
+ I     Exec echo $0 > $HOME/tmp/current_wallpaper

DestroyFunc ResetWallpaper
AddToFunc ResetWallpaper
+ I     Exec Esetroot -fit -center `cat $HOME/tmp/current_wallpaper`