Subject: FVWM: FVWM Can't Open Display

From: Ron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:08:26 -0500

I have read all the faq's and such but no one seems to have such a basic 
problem as mine. 
Now that I have established my level of expertise here is my problem.
fvwm2, mwm and twm all error with "Can't Open Display 127.00.1.00.  
Using 'startx' the Xwin opens a X window OK.
I have tried setting the DISPLAY to :0.0 but fvwm2 still issues the same 
error message.
Any help?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 06:16:22 +0100

> I have tried setting the DISPLAY to :0.0 but fvwm2 still issues the same

I'm not sure, but it looks like you don't have X running. If that is the case, 
then the simplest way of doing it is putting "exec fvwm2" in ~/.xinitrc 
(`echo "exec fvwm2" > ~/.xinitrc), then execute startx as user. That should 
bring up fvwm2 when X starts.

Hope that helps.

---

From: Vladimir Egorin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:16:33 -0600

> fvwm2, mwm and twm all error with "Can't Open Display 127.00.1.00.  

What does your "ifconfig -a" say?
The number above doesn't make any sense.
I wonder whether X will operate with misconfigured
loopback interface.

-- 
Vladimir