Subject: FVWM: Can fvwm do this?

From: Ryan Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:23:10 -0500

I am new to fvwm and am looking at using it as a possible replacement 
for IceWM in the distribution i maintain.  I have a couple requirements 
that I have not been able to figure out for sure if they can be handled 
and how to go about doing it via the conf file(s).

1. (simple one) I assume toolbar buttons (minimize,maximize,close, etc) 
can be seperated (ie. maximize,minimize on the left and close on the 
right side of the taskbar).  Is this correct?

2. Can a desktop margin be set up? (i.e. I dont want any windows (other 
than those specified as panel or desktop to be allowed within 50px of 
the edge of the screen.. this would also mean they can not be manually 
dragged outside the margin)

3. How do I go about setting an application as the desktop layer and one 
as the panel layer?

Thanks for your help
Ryan
SymphonyOS Project
http://www.symphonyos.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:05:38 -0500

> right side of the taskbar).  Is this correct?

By Toolbar/Taskbar do you actually mean window title?

For window titles, buttons can be on either side.
Look at AddButtonStyle, the number indicates the position.

> dragged outside the margin)

I've never uses it but look for EwmhBaseStruts.

> 3. How do I go about setting an application as the desktop layer and one 

Look in the man page for 'layer'.

Fvwm is extremly configurable,
however there are few GUI tools included to do configuration.
Fvwm-themes might help in that regard.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:02:36 +0000

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:23:10PM -0500, Ryan Quinn wrote:
> 1. (simple one) I assume toolbar buttons (minimize,maximize,close,
> etc) can be seperated (ie. maximize,minimize on the left and close on
> the right side of the taskbar). Is this correct?

Yes, it is.  The Titlebar (as it is called in Fvwm) allows for one to
define upto ten buttons.  They're arranged like this:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 1 3 5 7 9			   Title			 0 8 6 4 2                                   |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|                                                     									   |

So in your decor (see AddToDecor in the manpage), you would only want to
define buttons 1,3 and 2. Something like this:

+ AddButtonStyle 1 Vector 5 25x40@1 25x60@1 75x60@0 75x40@0 25x40@1
+ AddButtonStyle 3 Vector 4 50x25@1 75x75@0 25x75@0 50x25@1
+ AddButtonStyle 2 Vector 4 50x75@1 25x25@1 75x25@1 50x75@0

Of course, the above is only an example -- the vector images won't match
the functionality you want for the buttons.  Furthermore, for those
buttons to appear in the titlebar, you will need to ensure that you bind
them to actions (say a mouse).  The following lines would achieve that:

#   for the title bar buttons:
Mouse 0 1       A       FuncFvwmMaximize
Mouse 0 3       A       FuncFvwmMinimise
Mouse 0 2       A       Close

This, this says that any button clicked on the buttons defined on the
window, would invoke either one of those actions, depending on the
button pressed in the titlebar.

> 2. Can a desktop margin be set up? (i.e. I dont want any windows
> (other than those specified as panel or desktop to be allowed within
> 50px of the edge of the screen.. this would also mean they can not be
> manually dragged outside the margin)

Yes.  If you're using 2.5.X, see "EwmhBaseStruts" in the man page.

> 3. How do I go about setting an application as the desktop layer and
> one as the panel layer?

Can you clarift by what you mean, please?

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
I know nothing, and understand even less.