Subject: FVWM: more virtual desktops

From: Jonathan Geisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:29:58 -0500

Is there a scriptable way to add more virtual desktops to my running
configuration.  I know I can change the value and restart the window
manager, but is there a function I can call and then assign it to a
keystroke so that if I discover I would like a new desktop, I can just
add a new desktop and change to it without all the extra hassle
mentioned above?

						-- Jonathan Geisler --

---

From: David Vilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:54:37 +0100

> add a new desktop and change to it without all the extra hassle

I have something similar in my config. First you have to note that
(as far as I understand it) fvwm creates the new desktops
dinamically, so you can always use, say, "GotoDesk 43572" and if it
wasn't active before, it will become (see the GotoDesk in the man
page for more info). I have the "restriction" that my desk are
consecutive beginning at number 0 and so I can store in an
environment variable the highest used desk number. I have defined a
function NewDesk that increases this variable, warps to this desk,
creates a form asking for a desk name and restarts FvwmPager in
order to show it. This has some drawbacks, e.g. to remain consistent
you can only delete the last desktop, but I also have a function to
move all the windows from one desk to another so this becomes only a
minor problem.

You can find my config here:
http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~vilar/fvwm.html

Hope that it helps. Greetings,

David

-- 
David Vilar Torres			RWTH Aachen
Tel: (+49) 241 80 21611			Lehrstuhl f. Informatik VI
Fax: (+49) 241 80 22219			Ahornstr. 55
[email-masked]		D-52056 Aachen (Germany)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].