Subject: FVWM: prompting for password

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:03:39 -0800 (PST)

This feels like an FAQ, but I couldn't find anything there nor in
the manpage.  Maybe I'm not searching for the right keywords :)

How would I set up a menu item to:

  pop up a window
  prompt for and read a password
  close the window
  launch a program and feed the password into its stdin

Specifically, I now have something along the lines of:

  AddToMenu VNCwindows "VNC" TITLE
  + "sys1" Exec echo pw1 | vncviewer sys1 &
  + "sys2" Exec echo pw2 | vncviewer sys2 &

which works fine as long as the passwords don't change.  However,
there's one system whose VNC password changes depending on whether
anyone is logged in.  Rather than have separate entries for connecting
to it depending on whether it's idle or I am already logged into it,
I'd prefer to have a single entry which propmts for the password.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Loren M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:43:49 -0800

> I'd prefer to have a single entry which propmts for the password.

One option would be to ssh into the machine and run vncconnect which
connects back to a vncviewer listening on your machine, then you have
whatever auth methods ssh has which includes public-key auth.  There are
some gui programs for public-key auth like ssh-askpass and
ssh-askpass-gnome.  There is also a way use use vncpasswd to create a
passwd file that you can pass to vncviewer with -passwd file.  You could
probably hack vncpasswd to ask you from a gui window, or just have all
the passwd files prepared ahead of time.

-- 
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Public Key: ftp://ftp.tallye.com/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C