Subject: FVWM: send "EnterNotify" message to a window??

From: Yang Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:41:19 -0800

hi there:
	is there a way to send an arbitrary X Event to a window?
	in this case, I want to send an EnterNotify event to x2x window, so I can 
	bind a key to that sending operation, and switch x2x screens by keyboard
	only. binding a key to "WarptoWindow" doesn't work, because the pointer 
	suddenly "jumps" into the window, and no "EnterNotify" is generated 

	btw, anybody familiar with either x2x or Xlib programming in general?
	I hacked x2x to let it respond instead to "FocusIn" , but somehow doesn't
	work as I wanted, it would be nice if you could help me check the code....

	thanks a lot!

	Yang
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:31:38 +0000

> 	is there a way to send an arbitrary X Event to a window?

Yes, one of the most useful and underrated utilities I know of, xse.

If you happen to use Gentoo Linux it's available via portage, otherwise
you will have to google for it :)

Example: 

	$ xse -win 0x4400001 '<EnterNotify> Normal DetailNone'

or:

	Prev (x2x) Exec xse -win $[w.id] '<EnterNotify> Normal DetailNone'

> 	suddenly "jumps" into the window, and no "EnterNotify" is generated 

Interesting, I thought you were mistaken about WarpToWindow, but I tried it
myself and you're right.

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].