Subject: FVWM: dynamically updating icons

From: jpkotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:24:01 -0600

I'm sure everyone has seen the configs that use a snapshot of a window as  
the icon.  What I want is to have an icon box with icons generated as  
snapshots like this, but not just when the windows are iconified.  I want  
this to work more like a taskbar, with the buttons being the snapshot  
icons.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to dynamically update icons in  
FvwmIconBox, nor a way to have windows display icons when not iconified  
using the built in iconbox.  Does anyone have ideas on how to this?

Thanks,

jpkotta
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:59:36 -0500

> using the built in iconbox.  Does anyone have ideas on how to this?

Look at question 7.18 in the FAQ.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: jpkotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:43:17 -0600

> Look at question 7.18 in the FAQ.

I've already looked in the FAQ, I didn't see anything for what I want to  
do.  What I want to have is something like an FvwmIconMan or a taskbar,  
but the buttons will be the window thumbnails.  The buttons will be  
present whether a window is iconified or not.  Some kind of process,  
periodic and/or event triggered, will continually update the thumbnails to  
what the windows currently look like.  If I used the approach in the FAQ  
7.18, I could only have icons if the windows are iconified.  I've been  
playing with FvwmIconBox, but if the window changes (and the icon changes  
as well), the icon will not update in the FvwmIconBox unless I restart it.

jpkotta

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:16:58 -0500

> as well), the icon will not update in the FvwmIconBox unless I restart it.

It looks to me like FvwmIconBox responds to
WindowStyle commands.  Issue them from your periodic
process.  You can use FvwmCommand to talk to Fvwm.
This might be better done with the FvwmPerl interface.

---

From: jpkotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:01:29 -0600

I couldn't get WindowStyle to update the icons.  PlaceAgain, Refresh, and  
RecaptureWindow didn't work either.  Recapture did, but that's not a  
viable option.  Maybe I have to learn FvwmPerl, or how to make my own  
module.  Or more likely, abandon the idea.  Thanks for your help.

jpkotta

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:16:58 -0500, Dan Espen <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

>> >> I'm sure everyone has seen the configs that use a snapshot of a  
>> window
>> >> as