Subject: FVWM: Force FvwmPager to update colors for unfocused windows?

From: Mike Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:40:45 -0500

Hello everyone,

I'm a pretty new Fvwm user, but I feel like I'm really getting the hang 
of it.  I've been putting a lot of time into my Fvwm config recently, 
and I've finally hit a road block.  My current goal is to have Urgent 
windows flash quietly without steeling focus, and I've done it.  I use 
two alternating functions, each of which swaps the colorsets and then 
Schedules the other one.  It works great.  The problem is that I can't 
see it from other pages because FvwmPager only updates the color when 
the window has focus.  If the flashing window has focus, the pager 
updates fine, but that doesn't really help for what I'm trying to do 
with it.

Because of the focus thing, I tried writing a "blipfocus" function that 
uses states to save the current window and then jump the focus to the 
urgent window and back.  That didn't work unless I added a delay before 
bringing the focus back (FvwmPager uses polling for that I guess).  
Again, switching the focus for any non-negligible ammount of time 
undermines what I was trying to do in the first place.

Doing a window operation like WindowShade or Iconify updates the shape 
in the pager, but still not the color, and when I switch to that page 
the haywire window is a really ugly effect  So it's not really an ideal 
solution, but it's what I'm using for now.

So my question is:
Is there anyway to force FvwmPager to update the color sets (and 
possibly the mini icon) of an unfocused window?

Any suggestions are welcome.  Or, if you have a completely different 
idea for urgent window handling I'd be interested to hear that too.  And 
if anyone needs code for periodically alternating a window's style, I 
can hook you up ;)

Thanks,
Mike

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].