Subject: Re: FVWM: Is it possible to pop up FvwmWinList near the mouse?

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:30:34 +0000

On 31 Dec 2004 06:35:49 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:39:49AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > On 30 Dec 2004 10:46:18 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> > > 
> > > Now that I have discovered FvwmWinList instead of Windowlist, I have
> > > been customizing it.  I have one hotkey to pop it up, another to make
> > > it go away.  One thing I would like is to have it pop up near the
> > > mouse, not any fixed location.  This would be similar to the xmessage
> > > option -nearmouse.  Is this possible?  I'd like this for FvwmPager
> > > too, and probably others later.
> > 
> > This does what you want:
> > 
> >   FvwmWinList -transient
> >   FvwmIconMan -transient
> >   FvwmPager -transient 0 3
> 
> Transient does more than I want :-( With the FvwmWinList, it also no
> longer tracks the mouse as it moves over different windows.  Instead,
> it shows which window had focus when it popped up, and since it popped
> up under the mouse, it always shows itself, rather than where the
> mouse was before it popped up.

It is a good idea to setup:

  Style FvwmWinList NeverFocus
  Style FvwmIconMan NeverFocus
  Style FvwmButtons NeverFocus
  Style FvwmTaskBar NeverFocus

Then you will not have this focus problem.

> With FvwmPager, as soon as I press any other key, it goes away.

Yes, this is intended, the purpose of all these transient modules is to
choose a window or a page from the given short-lived table.

> Transient seems to have different effects for different modules.  All
> I want is to change the popup location, nothing else.

There is UnderCursorPlacement patch somewhere. But from what you
describe, I think you want the transient modules that go away on any
press or click. I don't think you want to have multiple pagers or
multiple windowlists on the screen that should be explicitelly closed.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:18:45 -0800

> multiple windowlists on the screen that should be explicitelly closed.

Well, no :-) I like the taskbar and pager to stay until I dismiss
them.  I am happy with every aspect of how they work now, without
Transient and without NeverFocus, except I want them to pop up under
the cursor.  Transient itself seems to me to do to many things.  Pager
disappears as soon as any key is hit, but WinList stays around longer.

-- 
            ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._.
     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [email-masked]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:00:48 +0000

> disappears as soon as any key is hit, but WinList stays around longer.

This command brings the context window into the pointer in 2.5.x:

  Move $[pointer.x]p $[pointer.y]p

Use it together with FAQ #3.18.

Regards,
Mikhael.