Subject: FVWM: dropdown menu in xine-ui causes fvwm2 to go into some sort of endless loop

From: Alexander Hsia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:24:42 -0700

Good day,

I have just started using fvwm2 and ran across this little error. I
googled for a bit, but didn't find anything similar, so I'm posting here
in hopes I can beg for a little help to resolve it. 

It seems I can trigger an endless loop for fvwm2 by trying to scroll in
a drop-down box under xine-ui's configuration dialog. I believe it is an
interaction between the widget set (Xaw?) that xine uses and fvwm2. When
the drop-down is selected, it looks fine, but as soon as a scroll is
attempted either with the mouse wheel or clicking on the scroll bar
inside it, fvwm2 takes over the drop-down box as if it were opening a
new window. Visually you can see the drop-down box gets repainted to
have window manager decorations around it. At the same time it loses all
the information inside it, while I can see some flickering as if the box
is being repainted over and over very fast. After this, fvwm2 is
unresponsive to any keyboard or mouse events. However, I can still kill
the xserver, or switch to a vt and see that other processes are still
running, which I intrepret as Xserver keys still be interpreted but fvwm
commands not.

The specific sequence to trigger this is: 1. Click on xine's setup
window icon on the player panel. 2. Select to the video tab. 3.Click on
the drop-down arrow next to "video driver to user". 4. Now try to scroll
in that menu to lower entries

I guess that was a long setup for the real questions. 1. Has anybody
else had this problem (and a fix?) 2. Should I file a bug report or vet
this out in the mailing lists/irc first?

Versions:
fvwm-2.5.12 with fvwm-crystal
xorg-x11-6.8.1.902
xine-ui-0.99.3

Thanks for any and all responses,

Regards,
-Alex

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: hun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:04:10 +0100

> Good day,
Good Day

>*snip*

same here
> this out in the mailing lists/irc first?

I think it's time for a bug report, i think this wasn't for me in
2.5.10 (not quite sure
> fvwm-2.5.12 with fvwm-crystal
fvwm-2.5.13cvs
> xorg-x11-6.8.1.902
XFree4.3.0
> xine-ui-0.99.3
same
> Thanks for any and all responses,

Dito
> -Alex

Hannes

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:05:55 -0500

hun <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 1. Has anybody

2.5.10 is a beta release.  If you wish to report a bug in
a beta release, first get the current beta release and try that.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: hun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:04:51 +0100

> a beta release, first get the current beta release and try that.

Did that already, it's still there in 2.5.13cvs (as i wrote above)

Hannes Klas

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:18:56 -0500

> interaction between the widget set (Xaw?) that xine uses and fvwm2. When

That's QT, not Xaw.
I was easily able to break out of the loop by clicking on the window
kill button.

> else had this problem (and a fix?)

I was able to reproduce the problem.

> 2. Should I file a bug report or vet

Perhaps one of the EWMH options will help.
I'll look later.