Subject: FVWM: More than 4 desktops in Gnome

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jan 2005 16:51:08 -0500

Hi all; I'm using Gnome 2.8 on Debian Sarge, with FVWM 2.5.12 (packaged
by Debian) as my window manager.  I'm also using fvwm-themes 0.7.0 and
fvwm-icons 2001.08.13, also from Debian packages.  This same thing
happened when I was using 2.6, and maybe before that.

My problem is that when I log in, I have 4 desktops configured and
visible in the workspace switcher applet, which is the default amount
for a Gnome system.  I can choose the desktop with the gnome-panel, and
move windows, and all that stuff.

But I want more than 4 desktops.  I can use the Properties on the
workspace switcher application to add more desktops, and they work
fine during that session.

So I log out (clicking the "save session" box).

But, when I log back in, I only have 4 desktops again and I have to
recreate them with the workspace switcher properties!!

This is pretty annoying.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem here
is?  Is it FVWM, forcing 4 desktops?  Can I configure FVWM to have more
than 4?  I found the configuration of pages per desktop, but I can't see
anything that forces a specific number of desktops.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:11:59 +0000

> This is pretty annoying. Anyone have any ideas what the problem here

Are you sure this is simply a case of you having to run:

gnome-settings-deamon &

from within ~/.xsession ?

> than 4? I found the configuration of pages per desktop, but I can't
> see anything that forces a specific number of desktops.

Setting the "DesktopSize" command does this, i.e.:

DesktopSize 3x3

Would give me 9 pages. I assume it is "pages" you mean and not
"desktops".

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
I know nothing, and understand even less.

---

From: hun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:20:13 +0100

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:51:08PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi All

Hi ;)

> fine during that session.

As far as I know, Gnome listens to the EWMH-Stuff, so I think it
should work, if you do a

       EWMHNumberOfDesktops num  [max]

Or Something like that.

> anything that forces a specific number of desktops.

Hope to have helped

Hannes Klas