Subject: FVWM: 5 buttons, 1 wheel, no love

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:52:24 -0500

Hey folks.  There's plenty related to mouse button configs in the
archives, but I can't find anything that helps.

I just went and bought a trackball - one of those MS Opticals deals.
Pretty cool, but it's presenting me with a problem.  It has extra
buttons that I want to use in new and exciting ways.

My mouse config in xorg.conf is as follows:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
        Option      "Buttons"      "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

And I have the following in my ~/.xsession file:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

And everything works as expected.  The main buttons, 1-3 (with 2 being
the wheel button) work the same as the mouse did.  The wheel rolls
button presses for 4 and 5, and the outer buttons register as 6 and 7.

My mouse buttons are:
Mouse 1         R          A         Menu RootMenu Nop
Mouse 2         R          A         Menu MenuFvwmWindowOps Nop
Mouse 3         R          A         WindowList UseIconName NoGeometry

but if I add these binders for buttons 6 and 7:
Mouse 6         R          A         Menu RootMenu Nop
Mouse 7         R          A         Menu RootMenu Nop

they just pop up the default menu, not the one I expect.  And to make
matters even more strange, they manage to cause the wheel to pop up
the default window when rolled on the root window.

If I change these binding to 4 and 5, the wheel pops up the root menu
when it's rolled either way, and the outer buttons do nothing.

Without the additional binders, the outer buttons behave as a
forward/back function in my browser, which was unexpected, but
welcome.  The question is how can I get these buttons to work for me
in the root window?  Hopefully this won't interfere with the
forward/back behavior in the browser . . .

Also, I think I'm not understanding the ZAxisMapping and xmodmap
setting quite right.  I was under the impression that the ZAxis
setting would make buttons 6 and 7 behave as scrollers, but the wheel
is actually using 4 and 5.  It looks instead, as if the ZAxisMapping
setting specifies the indices of buttons specified in the xmodmap list
to consider wheel rolls.  Does that make sense?

Thanks.
Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc                  [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Epperson's law:
  When a man says it's a silly, childish game, it's probably
  something his wife can beat him at.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].