Subject: FVWM: StrokeFunc on PDA help

From: Alexei Gilchrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:26:44 +1000

Hi all,

I've been running fvwm on a linux Zaurus PDA and it's by far the best
window manager I've found for the platform despite the limitations of a
PDA (you can see screenshots of fvwm on Zaurus on this thread:
http://www.zaurususergroup.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8280&st=0 )

Can anyone suggest how to efficiently set up the use of Stroke for a
PDA? Stroke itself is working fine, but I have not found it very usable because: 

1) there is only really one button with the stylus so you can't simply 
overide that for the stroke commands. 
2) binding the stroke commands only on the root window is a bit
limiting, and you would have to get to the root window first.
3) using a modifier key means that you have to use the
keyboard, and if you're going to do that it's just as easy to bind a key
to the command than have to use both keys and stylus, also if the PDA
is open such that the keyboard is unaccessible then you lose the stroke
commands right when you need them most. 
4) There are some buttons on a reserved area of the screen that
you can tap with the stylus, so while using StrokeFunc NotStayPressed
looks promising, a button press will exit from the mode - so when 
you go to draw the stroke you're immediately exited from the StrokeFunc

The only things I can think of is some sort of command that flips to
another desktop for the stroke and then immediately flips back (not a
very good solution) or patching the StrokeFunc source so that the 
mode with NotStayPressed exits on a ButtonRelease event rather than 
ButtonPress event. Can someone who knows the source better give me some
pointers?

I think it would be an incredibly useful function on a PDA once it's
working 

thanks

Alexei

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:41:43 +0000

> http://www.zaurususergroup.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8280&st=0 )

Wow, that's awesome!

> commands right when you need them most. 

I see you use a taskbar, you could create a button on it that initiates
the stroke, for example:

*FvwmButtons: (2x20, Icon stroke.png, Frame 0, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `StrokeFunc DrawMotion FeedBack`)

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alexei Gilchrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:21:16 +1000

Thanks for that suggestion. It sort-of works - I can initiate a 
stroke provided it starts at the button. This really limits the possible
strokes though. Also often the stroke seems to get stuck and doesn't respond
to the ButtonRelease event (I'm not sure why this is).

The limitation is the stylus, because you can't just move the cursor.
You have to first make contact with the screen (and this generates a
ButtonPress event) and then drag the cursor.

So for instance using StrokeFunc NotStayPressed, I could tap one of the 
onscreen buttons generating a key bound to that command - up to here
it's OKi, and I enter the stroke mode. but then when I go to do the stroke 
this first generates a ButtonPress event as I contact the screen, 
which immediately exits me from the Stroke mode.... I can't see how to
get around this without hacking the source.

One solution which I'm using at the moment is to bind a button to
iconifying all the windows and then bind stroke commands to the root
window. This means I lose the root window for anything else though.

cheers,

Alexei