Subject: FVWM: Key raise function

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:14:14 -0800

So, I am trying to setup something in my fvwm configuration and could 
really use some help.

The intention is to have an FvwmButtons instance that is south-shaded by 
default, and unshades only while I hold in the hot-key assigned to it. 
While unshaded, I should be able to interact normally with the window 
using the mouse. Using a hot-key to toggle the shade state of the window 
would work just as well.

I've been able to setup something similar using a small buttonbar 
instance and a transient panel, but it still requires interaction with 
the mouse to pop up and down the panel.

I've looked over the faq question on the subject and can't seem to 
figure out how to specify a function that targets a specific window. The 
examples all seem to assume that the mouse will be interacting with the 
window in question, which isn't the case here.

I also can see no way to bind a Key to a Button in FvwmButtons.

Thanks in advance,
Fred.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:54:06 +1100

Hi Fred,

> using the mouse.

Hmmmm. Tricky. I believe Piotr did something similar a while back. See:

http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0403/msg00388.html

> Using a hot-key to toggle the shade state of the window 
> would work just as well.

This is much easier to do. I use:

Key F12 A A All (Buttonbar) WindowShade S

Where "Buttonbar" is the name of my FvwmButtons instance. ie.

AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmButtons Buttonbar

Hope that helps,

SCoTT. :)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:53:56 -0800

Thank you for the advice, these will definitely help. I can't believe I
missed that "All (window)" bit while going over the docs, heh.
Information overload I guess. I tried it out and it seems to work great.

I'll go over that other post and see if I can't integrate the ideas
there into my config.

Thanks again,
Fred