Subject: FVWM: Two Things

From: Scott Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:50:18 -0500

Hello,

Ok, there are two things I want to try to get in my Fvwm configuration, but I'm 
not sure if they're possible or not.

First window snapping. Yes, I have it working already, what I want to do is more 
complex. In a default Gnome configuration the moving and resizing of windows is 
free with no snapping. But if you hold down a button, I think shift, while 
moving windows it forces it to snap to an edge no matter what.  What I would 
like is to configure Fvwm so that moving or resizing anything in Fvwm forces 
snapping. However, holding down a key, maybe the window key (SUPER_L) allows 
free movement and resizing.

The second thing I want to do may be more difficult. I was watching someone use 
a powerbook and it has this really neat feature. Basically they push some key 
combination and the screen zooms way way out. Every open window is displayed 
with no overlapping. All the windows turn into seperate thumbnails and they all 
fit nicely in the screen. Then whichever thumbnail gets clicked becomes the top 
focused window. Is there a way to do this with Fvwm or even X11?  It's really 
cool.

-Scott
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vincent Bernat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:12:59 +0100

OoO Lors de  la soirée  naissante du mercredi  29  décembre 2004, vers
18:50, Scott Rubin <[email-masked]> disait:

> The second thing I want to do may be more  difficult. I was watching
> someone     use a   powerbook    and  it   has  this    really  neat
> feature. Basically   they push some key   combination and the screen
> zooms  way way  out.    Every open  window   is  displayed  with  no
> overlapping. All the windows turn into  seperate thumbnails and they
> all fit nicely in the screen. Then  whichever thumbnail gets clicked
> becomes the top focused window. Is there a way  to do this with Fvwm
> or even X11?  It's really cool.

This is called   Exposé. There are some   attempts to mimic this  with
X11. The best one is Skippy :
    <URL:http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php>

Skippy-XD, the version for X.org, is able to do  the same as Exposé in
Mac OS  X.  The  non X.org version    is unable, with  fvwm,  to paint
correctly windows outside  the current  screen  and is  pretty slow to
take snapshots.
-- 
SHERRI DOES NOT "GOT BACK"
SHERRI DOES NOT "GOT BACK"
SHERRI DOES NOT "GOT BACK"
-+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode AABF07

---

From: Henrik Enberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:27:42 +0100

Scott Rubin <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> someone use a powerbook and it has this really neat feature. Basically
> they push some key combination and the screen zooms way way out. Every
> open window is displayed with no overlapping. All the windows turn into
> seperate thumbnails and they all fit nicely in the screen. Then
> whichever thumbnail gets clicked becomes the top focused window. Is
> there a way to do this with Fvwm or even X11?  It's really cool.

there is skippy which does something like this.  I dunno how good it is.

<http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php>

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:52:38 +1100

On 12:50 29 Dec 2004, Scott Rubin <[email-masked]> wrote:
| First window snapping. Yes, I have it working already, what I want to do is 
| more complex. In a default Gnome configuration the moving and resizing of 
| windows is free with no snapping. But if you hold down a button, I think 
| shift, while moving windows it forces it to snap to an edge no matter what. 
| What I would like is to configure Fvwm so that moving or resizing anything 
| in Fvwm forces snapping. However, holding down a key, maybe the window key 
| (SUPER_L) allows free movement and resizing.

You would bind your magic key function (eg Alt-Mouse-1) to a function that
turns off snapping, invokes resize or move, then turns it on again.
-- 
Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends
on the unreasonable man.        - George Bernard Shaw
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:36:07 +0000

On 29 Dec 2004 12:50:18 -0500, Scott Rubin wrote:
> 
> First window snapping. Yes, I have it working already, what I want to do is 
> more complex. In a default Gnome configuration the moving and resizing of 
> windows is free with no snapping. But if you hold down a button, I think 
> shift, while moving windows it forces it to snap to an edge no matter what. 
> What I would like is to configure Fvwm so that moving or resizing anything 
> in Fvwm forces snapping. However, holding down a key, maybe the window key 
> (SUPER_L) allows free movement and resizing.

Resizing of a window is always free in fvwm, with no snapping.

As for moving a window, Once you setup snapping, you already have a way
to disable it by pressing/releasing Alt modifier while you move a window.

> The second thing I want to do may be more difficult. I was watching someone 
> use a powerbook and it has this really neat feature. Basically they push 
> some key combination and the screen zooms way way out. Every open window is 
> displayed with no overlapping. All the windows turn into seperate 
> thumbnails and they all fit nicely in the screen. Then whichever thumbnail 
> gets clicked becomes the top focused window. Is there a way to do this with 
> Fvwm or even X11?  It's really cool.

Real zooming of windows can't be easily implemented without support in X.

If you just want to conveniently see the list of all windows on the
current page, then try the module currently named FvwmProxy in 2.5.

Traditional methods may work too, WindowList, transient FvwmWinList or
FvwmIconMan, FvwmWindowMenu.

Regards,
Mikhael.