Subject: FVWM: Layer and StaysOn styles

From: jpkotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:50:23 -0600

I've been having trouble with the Layer and StaysOn* styles.  With an  
empty setup file, I startup fvwm and start an FvwmConsole and a few  
windows to play with.  I type into the console:

	Pick WindowStyle Layer 6
	Pick WindowStyle StaysOnTop
	UpdateStyles
	Pick FvwmIdent

and select a window.  FvwmIdent says the layer is still 4, and it behaves  
as if the layer is still 4.  'Pick Layer 0 6' works fine.  Am I missing  
something or is this a bug?

Output of 'fvwm -V':
fvwm 2.5.12 compiled on Oct 24 2004 at 03:36:42
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama, XRender,  
XFT, NLS

Thanks,

jpkotta
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:40:34 +0000

On 28 Dec 2004 11:50:23 -0600, jpkotta wrote:
> as if the layer is still 4.  'Pick Layer 0 6' works fine.

Yes, you should use Layer command after the window is mapped. Even
Recapture does not reset the style layer in 2.5.x. This is intended.
BTW, UpdateStyles is only useful in the middle of some function.

> Am I missing something or is this a bug?

You are not the first "missing" it. What is actually important for us is
that Dominik does not think it is a bug. If you really want, some well
constructed Google query may bring previous discussions on the topic.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Rusty Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:10:33 -0500

Is this done anywhere yet?

There are a few occasions where I would wish to save then restore
stacking order (i.e. which window is in front of which Window).
Further, most of the time, when I switch focus I'd like it to switch to
the window that's next highest in the order.  Keep in mind that I'm not
talking about making use of layers here.