Subject: FVWM: What are tooltips called in FVWM?

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:29:20 +0100

Hi All

This is what I have:
FVWM 2.5.12-4
xfree86-common 4.3.0.dfsg.1-8
Debian/unstable (ppc)
Kernel 2.4.25-ben1

I'm trying to change the background color of tooltips, balloons as
they're called, IINM on FVWM and elsewhere, popping up when I move the
mouse over a browser window, the Buttons Bar etc. ... with only
very limited success so far:

I was able to change the Buttons Bar tooltips background color with
*FvwmPagerPager: BalloonBack #dcdbe3

But I'd like to set it for all programs: some sort of wildcard along
the line of
* BalloonBack #dcdbe3

I suspect this is not something I can change in the FVWM configs but
via my xfree settings (.Xresources, .Xdefaults?) .. but I'm not sure
about it.

I put new values to the .Xresources file (Excerpt):

---------------------------------------------------
! widget to turn on/off the balloon messages
Fig*msg_form.balloon_toggle*shadowWidth: 2
Fig*msg_form.balloon_toggle.topShadowContrast: 	-40	
Fig*msg_form.balloon_toggle.bottomShadowContrast: -10

! balloon for current filename window
Fig.filename_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.filename_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

! balloon for balloon message window
Fig.toggle_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.toggle_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

!balloon describing drawing/editing mode function
Fig.mode_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.mode_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

!balloon describing indicator panel function
Fig.ind_balloon_popup*Label.background:		gray85
Fig.ind_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:		blue

!balloon describing command panel button function
Fig.cmd_balloon_popup*Label.background:		gray85
Fig.cmd_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:		blue

!balloon describing unit function
Fig.unit_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.unit_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

!balloon describing mouse function
Fig.mouse_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.mouse_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

! balloon for depth panel
Fig.layer_balloon_popup*Label.background:	gray85
Fig.layer_balloon_popup*Label.foreground:	blue

Fig*Text*background: 			gray60

-------------------------------------------------------
I lifted the code above from a file in 
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/

But the code above didn't change the balloon colors so far ..

Any hint?
A man page? Some documentation, somewhere ... ?

Thanks in anticipation ..

Best Regards

w.
-- 
Wolfgang Pfeiffer 			 gpg ID: 0AA7E825
Profile, Links: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:09:29 -0800

> very limited success so far:

As far as I know X11 doesn't have any concept of tooltips, so every UI 
programmer is obliged to roll his/her own.  Therefore there's no 
standard for what they're called, or whether they have a separate 
background resource at all.  Applications written with a particular 
toolkit sush as Gtk may be different - I don't know.

If you're desperate to find the resources for a given app, you can run 
"strings" on the executable and try to guess what's what.  I've had 
occasional, limited success with that strategy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dorothy Robinson
http://www.twobarleycorns.net
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rouch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:22:22 +0100

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:09:29 -0800
Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > they're called, IINM on FVWM and elsewhere, popping up when I move
> > the mouse over a browser window, the Buttons Bar etc. ... with only

Gtk calls them tooltips. The following works for me

style "tooltips"
{
fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
bg[NORMAL] = "#fcf7bd"
}
widget "*tooltips*" style "tooltips"

I put this in ~/.gtkrc.mine which is included from ~./.gtkrc and
~/.gtkrc-2.0

Regards,

Chris

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:43:25 +0100

> widget "*tooltips*" style "tooltips"

Yep. Thanks. ... :) ... It helped: My ~/.gtkrc.mine (after having
removed the commented lines for the posting her):
---------------------------------------
style "gtk-tooltips-style" {
       bg[NORMAL] = "#d9d9d9"
}

widget "gtk-tooltips" style "gtk-tooltips-style"

style "gtk-default-iso-8859-15" {
       fontset = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,\
                  -*-arial-medium-r-normal--8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,\
                  -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,\
                  -*-arial-medium-r-normal--8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-r-*"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-iso-8859-15"

--------------------------------------------------
> I put this in ~/.gtkrc.mine which is included from ~./.gtkrc and

I only have a ~/.gtkrc-2.0, now ... IIRC there wasn't one before.

~/.gtkrc-2.0, here:

-----------------------
#include "/usr/share/themes/ThinGeramik/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-theme-name = "Simple"
include "/home/shorty/.gtkrc.mine"
----------------------

What has happened above - and for me it came as a little surprise that
this is even possible - is that now I use FVWM together with a gtk-2.0
theme, IINM. I.e FVWM still is a non-FVWM-themes one here, but with this
little trick in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 it becomes some sort of gtk-2.0 enhanced
FVWM. And the gtk-2.0 theme is one of several others provided by a
Debian package called "gnome-themes".

I think I fine-tuned the whole thing a bit by adding these options to
some font-settings for fvwm:
minspace=True:rgba=rgb:antialias=True

font setting lines now look something along the line of this:
MenuStyle * font "xft:sans-serif:minspace=True:rgba=rgb:antialias=True:Medium:Arial:Roman:size=10"

What also helped a lot was starting the FVWM session with a 
startx -- -dpi 82
or something like that ..

This way I got small fonts, even *inside* program windows like Gimp,
Firefox etc. ... And non-big font sizes are an indispensable must for every
computer I use for more than 3 minutes ... :) 

I uploaded a screenshot of this jewel of a Windowmanager (be warned it
has more than 530 KB ... :) 
http://www.wolfgangpfeiffer.com/FVWM-gtk.2-theme.jpg

The menu bar fonts of Emacs (also seen on the screenshot) definitely
suck: This has been a catastrophe since the beginning after I
installed Debian here on this Apple machine ... This was a problem on
Gnome, too .. and it's not related to FVWM, IINM ...

My settings are definitely beginner stuff, not very cleverly
organized. Simply the result of my growing greed after some hours of
typing, trying and erroring.  

But the graphical quality of this, IINM, GTK-plugged FVWM can be compared
without any doubt to the quality Gnome-2.8/metacity/gdm are providing.
And it's good to know I don't have to go back to Gnome to see a nice
desktop view ... :) 

Thank you, Chris Rouch: You gave me the loose end to roll into the
first bits of FVWM/GTK knowledge.

My appreciation to all FVWM-workers out there. It seems to me you've
done an outstanding excellent job. 
<http://www.fvwm.org/authors/>

Thank you.
Best Regards

w.