Subject: FVWM: Translucency in Colorset for MenuStyle and firefox

From: Stephen Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:16:43 -0500

I'm having a problem where my menus' submenus aren't being erased
before a new transparency/translucency is computed.  In creating a
stripped down version of my config, I have noticed that the problem
only occurs when menus overlap firefox.  If the popup overlaps a
firefox window and an xterm, only the portion overlapping firefox is
messed up.

This will sound a bit confusing, but this is what happens:
If I have a given menu, and select an item from the menu which pops up
a submenu, and then select an item above the current item that also
opens a submenu (still from the same original menu), I get the new
menu being drawn over top of the old menu and it doesn't completely
erase the old submenu.

I'm using gentoo, kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r4 on a p4 3.2Ghz with 2GB RAM
however, I have the same problem on my home system (AMD 3200 xp+, 1.5
GB RAM, kernel 2.6.9).  fvwm version 2.5.12 with 'support for:
ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, XRender, XFT, NLS'

I have attached a stripped down version of my .fvwm2rc file.
Using the stripped down config, I can recreate the error by opening
firefox, then left-clicking on the root menu, next to a firefox
window, select the Systems menu, and then select Apps.  The Apps menu
will pop up before the Systems menu has been erased.

Any ideas why this happens?  Is this a bug in the translucent style? 
Am I using the translucent style incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated.

--s.r.d.

---

From: Chris Debenham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:56:54 +1100

This one is pretty straight forward, it's a limitation of how the faked
translucency works.
Basically FVWM grabs a snapshot of the area where the menu will display
and uses that as the BG (plus tinting etc)
The problem you are hitting is that when a submenu is to come up FVWM
waits just a fraction of a second for the underlying windows to refresh
before grabbing the snapshot.  The trouble is that Firefox is not
updating its bit quick enough so FVWM is grabbing the non-updated area.
Xterm on the other hand is fast to update and so this issue is masked.
There is not much you can do about this sadly.

Chris

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:16:43AM -0500, Stephen Dennison wrote in a legally binding way:
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:16:43 -0500
> From: Stephen Dennison <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: FVWM: Translucency in Colorset for MenuStyle and firefox
> 

-- 
If At First You Do Succeed, Try Not To Look Too Astonished.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].