Subject: FVWM: A window positioning question

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:07:51 -0500

First of all, sorry if I've missed something in the documentation
explaining how to do this, but I'm not quite certain what I should be
looking for.

Is there any way in fvwm2 that I can set things up such that a specific
window uses SmartPlacement if there is sufficient clear space available
on the desktop, but if it cannot be placed without overlapping another
window, then it is placed at a specified position (possibly its own
requested geometry)?

Can anyone suggest ways of accomplishing this?

Thanks.

-- 
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]
   phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek
     2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)
           Linux Now!  ...Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:10:29 +0000

> Can anyone suggest ways of accomplishing this?

There is no currently way to do this. You may try TileCascadePlacement
and TileManualPlacement, these are close to what you want. The first
works pretty well.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:43:43 -0500

> and TileManualPlacement, these are close to what you want. The first

Thanks, Mikhail.  I'll take a look at those.