Subject: FVWM: Xinerama, StartsOnPage, StartsOnScreen, and lost transients

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:14:44 -0500

Hey everyone.  Long time since I've been on this list, but I've not
needed to change my Fvwm2 config for a few years now.

Now something's changed.  I got a fancy new system with an Nvidia
TwinView card and two monitors.

I managed to get Xorg (6.7.0) booting with the native FreeBSD (5.3
RELEASE) NVIDIA driver, running both monitors with fvwm-2.4.19.

The split is done with the Nvidia drivers TwinView option, because I
couldn't quite get it done with the native nv drivers in xorg.  The
Fvwm config uses the XineramaSls features to get fvwm2 to split.

Everything works awesome.  Except one thing.  Firefox can't seem to
get transient windows (particularly javascript application popups) on
the right screen.

I have Firefox start in the bottom rightmost pane of the desktop, in
the right screen.  From the windowlist, after having turned NoGeometry
off, I found that it is being "placed" off the desktop to the right.

I'm not much at ASCII art, but this is what my 3x2 desktop looks like:

     /    0    \  /    1    \  /     2    \
   ==========================================
  /#      |      #     |      #      |      #
 0 #      |      #     |      #      |      #
  \#      |      #     |      #      |      #
   ========================================== - - -
  /#      |      #     |      #      |      #      |
 1 #      |      #     |      #  Y   |  F   #  X   |
  \#      |      #     |      #      |      #      |
   ========================================== - - -

"F" is where Firefox starts.
"X" is where it keeps trying to put that javascript popup.

Checking the windowlist in either of the 2x1 screens shows the window
as [Javascript Application] with geometry 517x112+2899+410.  Each
screen is 1280X1024, so that's clearly too far to the right - even for
me.

When I pull the window over and get an ID on it, the name is
[Javascript Application] (with the brackets) as is the icon name.  The
class is Firefox-bin, Resource is firefox-bin, and transient is set to
yes.  Gravity is set to NortWest, though I'm convinced it's not
sticking to that corner.

My firefox styles are as follows:
Style "Firefox*"    StartsOnPage 2 1, SkipMapping, StartsOnScreen 1
Style "Firefox*"    ManualPlacementHonorsStartsOnPage

My fvwm config has the following to say about transients:
Style *  DecorateTransient, UsePPosition, RaiseTransient

I've tried NoPPosition, UsePPosition, UseTransientPosition, and
StartsOnPageIncludesTransients.

That last one helps a great deal by placing the transient at "Y".
What I'd like is to get it right on top of Firefox at "X".

I searched the manpage for a StartsOnScreenIncludesTransients style
config, but there doesn't appear to be one.

Any ideas?

TIA
Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc               [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

idiot box, n.:
  The part of the envelope that tells a person where to place the
  stamp when they can't quite figure it out for themselves.
    -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].