Subject: FVWM: ICA Client app window problem with FVWM

From: David Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Oct 2004 21:35:24 +0800

Hi, all
I am using Citrix ICA client on a fvwm linux machine to access a Windows
2000 desktop environment. ICA client to Citrix MetaFrame server on
Windows is just like vncclient to vncserver.

When connection is established, the remote Windows desktop shows up on
local monitor in fullscreen mode, then I launch an application within
the desktop, then the application window show up at one place, AND
immediately move to the left-hand side of the screen, i.e, the
application window got relocated.

In my opinion, the application window is first located by the Citrix
Server/Client, then relocated by the Fvwm window manager--always to the
very left side of the screen--wired!?

The only exception is that: if I open an application window, and close
it after it has happily relocated, then open again, it will show up at
the place where it's closed without relocation.

My question is: Why this kind of relocation happens? How to avoid it?

Environment is:
Fvwm: 2.4.18
Citrix ICA Client: 7.17

thanks for your kindly help!
David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:48:35 -0400

> My question is: Why this kind of relocation happens? How to avoid it?

I'm not aware of any version of Citrix that can create individual application
windows that can be managed by the X windows window manager.  There could be
one, I just doubt it.  Especially if you have Citrix running in full screen
mode.

If you still think Fvwm is managing these windows, use FvwmIdent first on the
Citrix window, then on the application window inside the Citrix window.

Also, look at the window borders, are they Fvwm borders or windows borders.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:05:19 +0200

> very left side of the screen--wired!?

That's impossible.  When a new window requests to be
mapped, the window manager intercepts the request and determines
if and where the window is mapped.  The ICA client can do nothing
to prevent the WM from doing that.  If the window then jumps to
another position, someone has asked the window manager to move it.
Again, neither the ICA client nor the application has any way to
*force* the window manager to do that.

> the place where it's closed without relocation.

That's more proof that it is not the window manager that does
funny things.  I guess either the application or the ICA client
remember the original window position and restore them when the
window is mapped the second time.

> My question is: Why this kind of relocation happens? How to avoid it?

Look for an option in the ICA client that tells it to place
windows itself and disable it.

> Citrix ICA Client: 7.17

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]