Subject: FVWM: dialog boxes cannot be raised?!

From: Vadim Grinshpun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:52:51 -0400

Hello,

I've been encountering a couple of strange problems with FVWM 2.4.18 on
my SGI Octane (running Irix 6.5.x). What happens, basically, is that
under certain (but not all, see below) circumstances, dialog boxes seem
to consistently stay under any other windows, and cannot be raised by
any means. Also, for some cases, the dialog box will be popped up on the
wrong desktop (Desktop 0), though usually on the correct page of the
desktop. These problems happen quite consistently.

Here's one way I can consistently reproduce the first issue:
1. Start up Netscape (I have version 4.76, if that matters).
2. Open the "Find in page" dialog box
   - At this point, it will pop up correctly
3. Close the dialog box
4. Open the "Find in page" dialog box again
   - At this point, the dialog box is typically partialy obscured by the
main window (which is already wrong, as it should be ABOVE the window),
and no matter what I do, it cannot be raised!

A couple of things I noticed: 
- this ONLY happens after a dialog box has been closed once.
- this same problem occurs with Netscape even if I run it remotely from
other machines and other OS's, with DISPLAY set to mine. E.g., I tried
running netscape remotely from another SGI box, and then a SUN box, with
the same results; however, running Moxilla Firefox from the same SUN did
not exibit the problem.
- the above problem is also seen with other programs, some examples
being NEdit, xv, Rational Purify, Framemaker, and Adobe Acrobat.

The second problem (or perhaps it's an additional symptom of the same
problem) occurs less often, but is just as bizzare: following the same
procedure as above not only causes the dialog box to pop up in a lowered
state that cannot be changed, but it also pops up on the wrong desktop
(always on Desktop 0), and FVWM will switch to that desktop.  The page
of the desktop will be "correct"--e.g., if the program in question is
running on the lower-right page of desktop 3, the dialog box will pop up
on the lower-right page of desktop 1, and desktop 1 will be displayed.

At this point, I've no clue where to look for the problem.  I don't
think I have anything unusual in the fvwm config files, and fvwm does
not report any errors. I believe I've had this problem with an earlier
version of fvwm as well (I compile my own, btw, so this is not any pre-
made distribution).

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Let me know if additional
information is needed. Also, please CC: my address (vg23 [at] cornell
[dot] edu), as I am not currently a subscriber to the list.

Thanks for any advice!

-Vadim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].