Subject: FVWM: using mousebuttons

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:52:31 +0000

Hello support-center,

I am the proud owner of a Logitech Mx310, a Mouse with 8 buttons
(including the wheel). Button 8 is not detected by X, but the buttons 6
and 7.
Now I want to use the buttons 6 and 7 with fvwm, which does not work.

Mouse 6 R A DynMenu

Is this an my fault, or a missing feature (fvwm 2.5.10 with
gentoo-patches)?

Best regards
        Klaus

-- 
Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
www.FvwmWiki.org

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:09:11 -0400

> Is this an my fault, or a missing feature (fvwm 2.5.10 with

See question 6.8 in the FAQ.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:35:01 +0200

> Is this an my fault, or a missing feature (fvwm 2.5.10 with

Hint:  Did you look at the error message generated by the binding?

In general, fvwm supports all button numbers up to 9, but X
supports any button > 5 only partially.  There are no bit masks
for these buttons in X, so dragging with these buttons or running
complex functions does not work.  However, you should be able to
bind a simple function like

  Mouse 6 R A Raise

or

  Mouse 6 R A Schedule 0 DynMenu
  
If this does not work, it's a bug in fvwm.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:58:39 +0200

> See question 6.8 in the FAQ.

I think the FAQ is obsolete.  The Fvwm core *should* support
buttons 6 to 9 out of the box.  I've taken the opporunity to
revisit the whole issue and made numerous patches to the core and
the modules.  Now, up to 9 buttons are supported out of the box,
and up to 31 can be enabled by modifying the
NUMBER_OF_EXTENDED_MOUSE_BUTTONS macro in libs/defaults.h.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:52:48 +0200

> Hint:  Did you look at the error message generated by the binding?

[FVWM.1][ParseBinding]: <<WARNING>> Got mouse button 6 when the maximum
is 5.
You can't bind complex functions to this button.  To suppress this
warning, use: Silent Mouse 6 R A DynMenu

> If this does not work, it's a bug in fvwm.

Well, it seems, that there is a bug, it does not work here. :-(
Neither on :0.0 nor on :0.1

Klaus

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:11:10 +0200

> Neither on :0.0 nor on :0.1

Please try current CVS.  This should work without any patches.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:02:51 +0200

> Please try current CVS.  This should work without any patches.

No, it still does not work. Is it possible, that this is a Problem with
the x.org-XServer? xev shows the correct button and Firefox uses them
correctly.

regards
	Klaus