Subject: FVWM: Problem choosing panel with EdgeCommand - once again

From: Rafal Bisingier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:45:36 +0200

Hi,

I've send a message couple of days ago with similar subject like this
one, but never get any response and as I see it never appeared in archive
(or more precisely it is in raw archive, but not on the thread listing)

Below is the copy of this message. If anyone interested I have a patch
on current CVS sources adding EdgeLeaveCommand metioned in the post.

Now the actual problem:
=================

There is an example in the fvwm man page showing a method to auto raise
and lower panel when mouse poiter hit edge of the screen. It uses
FvwmAuto and EdgeCommand function. It works very well, but only for 1
panel for each edge (because of using focus to decide if window should
be raised or lowered).

Here begins my problem. I have 3 panels on one edge of the screen (2
FvwmButtons and 1 FvwmPager). I want them to be separate panels. But
using earlier metioned method from man page there isn't any possibility
to decide which panel to raise when hitting edge (well, I can script it
to make a decision based on pointer position when hitting edge, but
it meens aiming without target visibility ;-) ).

Here begins my solution. I've added new command for fvwm
"EdgeLeaveCommand", based on the EdgeCommand, but reacting on
LeaveNotify Event. So now I can raise all 3 panels to show me "target",
and set focus on one only, when mouse pointer is leaving edge. This way
I can see where I should move mouse to choose exacly this panel wich I
wanted.

If anyone knows a better solution, no needing patching fvwm, then please
comment here.

==================

PS. Sorry for my english. ;-)

-- 
Greetings
Rafal Bisingier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:58:39 -0400

> on current CVS sources adding EdgeLeaveCommand metioned in the post.

Your patch made it to the list.

Apparently none of the developers have decided to apply it yet
or make a comment.

Give them time and if you don't hear from anyone, keep trying,
exactly like you've been doing.  Sometimes these thinks take a while.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:49:43 +0200

> exactly like you've been doing.  Sometimes these thinks take a while.

Exactly.

Patch applied in a few minutes.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]

---

From: Rafal Bisingier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:15:33 +0200

> Patch applied in a few minutes.

Thank you once again.
Developers are the second most important reason why I so much like fvwm.
First is of course fvwm flexibility ;-)