Subject: RE: FVWM: Some key and button bindings vanish spontaneously

From: "Jason Dobies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:44:31 -0400

This might sound like a stupid question, but while you're using X, did
you turn on numlock? I had the same problem, I'd be working and at
seemingly random points, all of my Meta key commands would stop working.
I finally realized it happened when I turned on numlock. There's an
explanation for it floating around if you're interested, but I'm not
completely sure I remember where I saw it. I think it's on fvwm.org in
the FAQ.

If this is the case, put the following in your .fvwm2rc file:

	IgnoreModifiers L25

That will keep the Meta strokes working when numlock is on.

- J

-----Original Message-----
From: Friedman, Joseph [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 2:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FVWM: Some key and button bindings vanish spontaneously

Hi!  I'm a new user of fvwm.  I like it very much but one problem really
stomps me.  My problem is that at some point after starting up X and
fvwm2 (usually after several hours of using it), I suddenly lose some,
but not all, keyboard and mouse bindings.  Here is a list of the
bindings from my .fvwm2rc file, with a note at the beginning of the line
indicating which bindings get lost:

  (Lost)   Key Tab A M WindowList Root c c NoDeskSort
  (Lost)   Key F1  TSFW M Maximize
  (Lost)   Key F5  TSFW M Raise
  (Lost)   Key F6  TSFW M Lower
  (Lost)   Key F7  A    M Next (AcceptsFocus) FuncFocusRaiseWarp
  (Lost)   Key F8  A    M Prev (AcceptsFocus) FuncFocusRaiseWarp
  (Lost)   Key F9  TSFW M Close
  (OK)     Key F33 A    A Menu MenuMain Nop
  (OK)     Key F34 A    A Menu MenuMain Nop
  (OK)     Key F35 TSFW A Menu MenuWindowOps Button1 -5 -5 Nop

  (OK)     Mouse 1 R       A       Menu MenuNewShells Nop
  (OK)     Mouse 2 R       A       Menu MenuPortfolios Nop
  (OK)     Mouse 3 R       A       Menu MenuMain Nop

  (OK)     Mouse 0 1       A       Menu MenuWindowOps Nop
  (OK)     Mouse 0 2       A       Close
  (OK)     Mouse 0 4       A       FuncMaximize
  (OK)     Mouse 0 6       A       Iconify

  (OK)     Mouse 1 T       A       FuncMoveOrRaise
  (OK)     Mouse 1 SF      A       FuncResizeOrRaise
  (OK)     Mouse 2 TSF     A       FuncResizeOrRaise
  (OK)     Mouse 3 TSF     A       Menu MenuWindowOps Nop

  (Lost)   Mouse 1 W       M       FuncMoveOrRaise
  (Lost)   Mouse 2 W       M       FuncResizeOrRaise
  (Lost)   Mouse 3 W       M       Menu MenuWindowOps Nop

  (Lost)  *FvwmIconMan: action      Mouse   1 N sendcommand
Focus,sendcommand "Iconify"
  (Lost)  *FvwmIconMan: action      Mouse   2 N sendcommand "Iconify 1"
  (Lost)  *FvwmIconMan: action      Mouse   3 N sendcommand "FvwmIdent"

It appears that I lose all bindings with the Meta (Alt) modifier, plus
all the mouse buttons in the FvwmIconMan.  By the way, I use a standard
104-key keyboard, and I use xmodmap to map the left and right Windows
keys (on either side of the space bar beyond the left and right Alt
keys) and the Menu key (to the right of the right Windows key) to F33,
F34, and F35, respectively.  Here is my .xmodmap:

  ! 115 is the Left Windows key, w/o a SymName
  keycode 115 = F33
  ! 116 is the Right Windows key, w/o a SymName
  keycode 116 = F34
  ! 117 is the Menu key, w/o a SymName
  keycode 117 = F35

Even after the bindings get lost, I can see that X still gets events
when I press the left and right Alt keys by using xev.  Here is what xev
shows when I hit the (left)Alt-Mouse1, at the time fvwm already does not
seem to get it:

  KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
      root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 203590265, (135,87), root:(261,349),
      state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

  ButtonPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
      root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 203590925, (135,87), root:(261,349),
      state 0x18, button 1, same_screen YES

  ButtonRelease event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
      root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 203591908, (135,87), root:(261,349),
      state 0x118, button 1, same_screen YES

  MotionNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
      root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 203592010, (134,87), root:(260,349),
      state 0x18, is_hint 0, same_screen YES

  KeyRelease event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
      root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 203592603, (134,87), root:(260,349),
      state 0x18, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

Reinitializing fvwm does not solve the problem, and neither does killing
the fvwm process and restarting it from the command-line.  It seems the
only way to make the bindings come back once I lose them is to quit the
X server altogether.

Has any of you encounter such a problem before?  Any ideas on how to fix
it?

Thanks,
-yossi

PS.  Here is the version information for my X server, fvwm, and cpu
information of my system:

  > /usr/X11R6/bin/X -version
  XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-72) / X Window
System
  (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
  Release Date: 23 January 2002
          If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
          newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
          reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
  Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-11smp i686 [ELF] 
  Build Host: daffy.perf.redhat.com
 
  Module Loader present
  OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.20 (root@zen) (gcc version 3.2 20020903
(Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #23 SMP Fri Jan 24 09:10:31 EST 2003 PF

  > fvwm2 -version
  FVWM version 2.4.18 compiled on Jul  7 2004 at 09:50:10
  with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Xinerama

  > cat /proc/cpuinfo 
  processor       : 0
  vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
  cpu family      : 6
  model           : 8
  model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
  stepping        : 10
  cpu MHz         : 996.928
  cache size      : 256 KB
  fdiv_bug        : no
  hlt_bug         : no
  f00f_bug        : no
  coma_bug        : no
  fpu             : yes
  fpu_exception   : yes
  cpuid level     : 2
  wp              : yes
  flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
  bogomips        : 1985.74
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>. To
unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked]. To report problems, send mail to
[email-masked].
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Friedman, Joseph" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:07:09 -0400

Brilliant!  Sure enough, I did have the NumLock key on.  Thank you very
much.

-yossi

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Dobies [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 8:45 AM
To: Friedman, Joseph; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: FVWM: Some key and button bindings vanish spontaneously

	IgnoreModifiers L25

- J