Subject: FVWM: taking screenshot of multiple / all desks / pages

From: xavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:02:03 -0400

Hello,

I'm interested at making a screenshot of all my desktops and pages,
(my pager is 10x7x4)
for remembering what i was working on if a crash occur.
(i'm always hitting the 256 clients limit for X)

do you know any soft or way to do that ?

import (from image magic) can only take the displayed screen.

or would there be a fvwm script to screenshot pages,  page by page ?

any idea on how i could do that ?

thanks

-- 
xavier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:55:49 +0200

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:02:03 -0400

> I'm interested at making a screenshot of all my desktops and pages,

I would be interested to know too. Currently I use gimp for screenshots,
but AFAIK gimp will also only take a shot of the current page.

- -- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
   
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:22:40 +0000

> > I'm interested at making a screenshot of all my desktops and pages,

I am not sure whether you want to get 280 images of resolution 1000x1000,
or 10 images 7000x4000. Or maybe one 7000x40000 image weighting 1GB. :)
All these options do not seem very usable.

> but AFAIK gimp will also only take a shot of the current page.

I don't think X has a way to access the image of unvisible windows.
In short, the unvisible virtual pages simply do not exist, they should
yet to be formed by X, fvwm and applications.

But you may create an fvwm function that does what you want, like:

  GotoDesk 0
  PipeRead `import -window root /tmp/desktop-0.png >/dev/null`
  GotoDesk 1
  PipeRead `import -window root /tmp/desktop-1.png >/dev/null`
  GotoDesk 2
  PipeRead `import -window root /tmp/desktop-2.png >/dev/null`
  GotoDesk 3
  PipeRead `import -window root /tmp/desktop-3.png >/dev/null`

If you have 10 desks of 7x4 pages, you will need to repeat GotoDeskAndPage
and import 280 times. It may take about 15 minutes or more to create all
screenshots. Note, that your fvwm will be unfunctional during this time.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:42:31 +0200

> yet to be formed by X, fvwm and applications.

Perhaps it works to use Xnest to start one virtual X-Server for each 
page. I do not know if it works to make fvwm aware of them all, maybe 
with xinerama-functionality or something? Then you perhaps can take 
screenshots of all pages without changing to them. (I guess you need a 
lot of RAM for this configuration.)

;)

Gert

---

From: xavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:48:02 -0400

> screenshots. Note, that your fvwm will be unfunctional during this time.

works great.

takes 1 mins for 10x7 on one desk.
however, there is desks where there is nothing ;
is there a fvwm way to know that ? so that i don't take 
empty and useless screenshots.

thanks

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:36:30 +0100

> takes 1 mins for 10x7 on one desk.

Try this, might be a bit faster:

AddToFunc Screenshot I PipeRead `for ((x=0;x<$[desk.pagesx];x++)); do \
	for ((y=0;y<$[desk.pagesy];y++)); \
		do echo GotoPage ${x} ${y}; \
		xwd -root -silent -out $[FVWM_USERDIR]/page_${x}_${y}.xwd;\
	done; done;\
	montage -geometry $[vp.width]x$[vp.height] -tile \
	$[desk.pagesx]x$[desk.pagesy] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/page_*_*.xwd \
	png:$[HOME]/screenshot.png; rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/page_*_*.xwd`

(makes a screenshot.png in your home dir)

> empty and useless screenshots.

Sure, use Any (CurrentPage) DoStuff..

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].