Subject: FVWM: Format of Send_WindowList

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:01:21 +0200

Hello list,

my scheme lib for fvwm develops more and more into a usable tool ... as
next step i wanted to implement Send_WindowList. But i'm not sure how
is the exact format of the packages send after the command. As i have
at least minimal knowledge of C, i usually take a look at perllib but
this time i do not found aynthing there either... Maybe someone can
point me in the right direction?

Mario

-- 
Stay the patient course
Of little worth is your ire
The network is down
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:10:34 -0400

> point me in the right direction?

Developer documentation is here:

http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/dev_modules.php

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:20:15 +0200

> http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/dev_modules.php

Yeah, i know, but the infos there aren't very technical .... :)

,----
| This information contains the paging status (enabled/disabled), current
| desktop number, position on the desktop, current focus and, for each
| window, the window configuration, window, icon, and class names, and,
| if the window is iconified, the icon location and size.
`----

This does not tell me how the infos are packed... :(

Mario

-- 
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:17:05 +0000

> point me in the right direction?

The easiest way to understand what Send_WindowList does is to run
FvwmGtkDebug (install gtk-perl if you don't have it), then press
"Start" and "Send_WindowList" buttons.

You may do this with "FvwmDebug -sw --log /tmp/file" too. Unfortunately
it has a typo in the long option name, --semd-windowlist.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:16:41 +0200

> it has a typo in the long option name, --semd-windowlist.

Ah, i see, my problem was that i haven't understand that
Send_WindoeList will just send normal package types... great!

But there still seems to be a problem. I get number of packages types
that does not exist, for example 6291526. Maybe i have problem with
syncronization ... can i be sure that 0xffffffff is *only* send when a
package starts? I check here if the first long integer from input is
4294967295 and then read the rest?

Mario

-- 
First snow, then silence.
This thousand dollar screen dies
so beautifully.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:47:37 +0200

> 4294967295 and then read the rest?

my only problem seems to be stupidity... :( I have forgotten that the
length of the package is *inclusive* the header ... 

Works now! Thanks to everyone for ideas...

Mario

-- 
Error messages
cannot completely convey.
We now know shared loss.