Subject: FVWM: dynamic ewmh ?

From: Anupam Kapoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:47:59 +0530

hi all,

i am using a slightly modified version of taviso's fvwmrc (thanks it
is awesome !).

let me first describe the setting:
i have an FvwmButtons module, that has a bunch of commonly used icons
/ swallowed pager etc. i can click on the edge of the FvwmButtons
module which will 'slide' it into the right screen edge.

the problem:
when maximizing the windows, the EwmhBaseStruts is configured so that
maximized windows don't cover the buttons module. this is all
fine-n-dandy when FvwmButtons is visible. when it is not (which is
most of the time), maximizing the windows doesn't occupy the whole
screen.

is there a way to dynamically adjust the parameters of EwmhBaseStruts,
do behave correctly in _both_ the cases (as described above).

thank you
kind regards
anupam

ps: i don't know why, but i keep trying out different windowmanagers,
and keep coming back to fvwm !
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:35:05 +0200

> most of the time), maximizing the windows doesn't occupy the whole

You don't describe in detail what you are doing with FvwmButtons,
so I have to guess your configuration looks like this.

  addtofunc somefunction
  + C thiswindow (FvwmButtons) windowshade e
  + C testrc (nomatch) windowshade toggle
  ...

  mouse 1 sf a somefunction

> do behave correctly in _both_ the cases (as described above).

Make a function that sets the EwmhBaseStruts style before sliding
the button bar:

  addtofunc somefunction
  + C thiswindow (FvwmButtons) shadefvwmbuttons
  + C testrc (nomatch) windowshade toggle
  ...

  addtofunc shadefvwmbuttons
  + I thiswindow (shaded) Style * EwmhBaseStruts <unshaded settings>
  + I thiswindow (!shaded) Style * EwmhBaseStruts <shaded settings>
  + I windowshade e

  mouse 1 sf a somefunction

Note that the styles are activated only after the function has
completed and fvwm is idle.  That means, if another function
maximizes (e.g. because you pressed mouse buttons on hold), it
will assume the old struts.  This is usually very rare and not a
problem.  If it is, add

  + I UpdateStyles

at the end of the shadefvwmbuttons function.

> and keep coming back to fvwm !

Maybe because it's better? ;-)

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Anupam Kapoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:33:48 +0530

thank you ! i have not had a chance to try this out yet, hopefully
today, and then i will post the results.

kind regards
anupam