Subject: FVWM: more EWMH_FULLSCREEN confusion

From: Jindrich Makovicka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:34:27 +0200

Hello,

in current FVWM code (cvs), when setting EWMH_FULLSCREEN, the window 
size constraints are disabled only during the transition to fullscreen 
in fvwm code itself. However, when one touches the window after setting 
the fullscreen mode, the window gets mis-resized. This is an issue for 
example for mplayer fullscreen code, which calls XMapRaised and 
XRaiseWindow after setting the fullscreen hint. This gives the window 
completely bogus dimensions. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to disable 
the constraints all the time the fullscreen mode is set?

-- 
Jindrich Makovicka
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:56:36 +0200

> XRaiseWindow after setting the fullscreen hint.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you mean XResizeWindow?  Following a fullscreen request with a
resize request is odd.

> This gives the window completely bogus dimensions. Wouldn't it be
> more reasonable to disable the constraints all the time the
> fullscreen mode is set?

I think there are two reasonable solutions when a window that is
in fullscreen mode is resized (either by the application or by the
user):

 1) Force the window back to normal mode.

or

 2) Ignore the resize request.

I tend to favour solution (1) here.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Jindrich Makovicka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:40:15 +0200

>>XRaiseWindow after setting the fullscreen hint.

No, I mean XRaiseWindow. And any of XRaiseWindow or XMapRaised causes 
the constraints kick in. In MPlayer's case, the window has the aspect 
ratio constraint, which makes the window expand horizontally.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:30:20 +0200

> ratio constraint, which makes the window expand horizontally.

(Note that you'd make it much easier for me to reply if you quote
the whole mail thread on replies).
 
Ah I see.  This happens only with the latest mplayer code, not
with the code I fetched from CVS in June.

It's a very old bug in fvwm that never bothered anyone until now.
When fvwm gets a ConfigureRequest, it recalculates the window
dimensions, even if it was a restack request, not a move/resize
request.  I have fixed that in cvs.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^