Subject: FVWM: FVWM as a Display Manager

From: Stephen Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:01:03 -0400

Out of curiosity has anyone ever thought about using fvwm in place of
a display manager?  Have any developers thought about creating an fvwm
config that would act as a display manager, or implementing a display
manager that is fvwm driven?

Basically I just want a display manager that will allow either user
selection from a menu or a user name and password entry, but I dont'
want to have to rely on gnome or kde under-pinings.  I was thinking
that I could probably just start up a stripped down window session
with fvwm and remove all of the default key-bindings.  (Or maybe start
up a non-privelaged user account that doesn't have a shell entry and
have it present the menu...)  I could then decorate it with all the
eye candy and functionality that gdm provides, but I'm not sure how to
go about replacing the currently running fvwm session with an fvwm
session running as a different user.

So I guess in all of my rambling my question isn't really fvwm
specific, but it does relate to fvwm.  How do I create a new fvwm
session from a currently running fvwm session with different user
privelages?

--s.r.d.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:17:16 -0700

> session from a currently running fvwm session with different user

   ?

   if you don't want to use kdm or gdm you can use xdm, that's plain X 
(default is kinda ugly but you can configure the look).

	erik

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:06:55 +0200

Yes, me too  :-)

>(default is kinda ugly but you can configure the look).

...or "wdm" which comes from xdm but has many new features...

>	erik

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/ 
Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:55:13 +0300

> (default is kinda ugly but you can configure the look).

or wdm

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
> at the Tel-Aviv University CC.
>

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:45:18 -0700

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 12:01, Stephen Dennison wrote:

> want to have to rely on gnome or kde under-pinings.  
> 

you could try an application called Qingy http://qingy.sourceforge.net 
It is a beautiful and customizable.  Uses directfb but doesn't have a
ton of dependency requirements.

Screenshots at the site.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:06:53 +0200

> session from a currently running fvwm session with different user

Run fvwm with the --replace option (-replace for older versions).
However, this does not change ownership of the X server, so you
have to open the display to the world with

  $ xhost +<machine name>

To make it work.  This is a huge security risk, so I don't
recommend doing that.  For example, a local user can forcefully
replace the running fvwm session with her own and do all sorts of
bad things.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]