Subject: FVWM: Random colorset when switching desks?

From: krispyfi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:56:02 -0400

Hello all. please bear in mind that i am a total linux noob.

I'm trying to get fvwm to display a random background image every time i 
switch to a certain desktop. I somehow managed to bang out a shellscript 
to be exec'ed by fvwmbacker with the last line being something like 
"fvwm-root $randomWallpaper".

That was all well and good, but on my slow machine it would take like 5 
seconds to switch. I heard about using colorsets to pre-cache 
wallpapers, but then how do i call up a random colorset? fvwm-root won't 
take a colorset as an argument. my second try was to use piperead. as in 
"fvwmbacker (desk 0) piperead randColorset.sh" with the last line of 
randColorset being like "echo $randomColorset" It doesn't work.

if i am understanding this correctly, "echo" sends the string to 
standard out which piperead redirects to fvwmbacker. what am i doing 
wrong? i know piperead works because im using it to read the output of a 
script that looks in my wallpaper folder and assigns the wallpapers to 
colorsets. and i know the colorsets work because i can say like 
"fvwmbacker (desk 0) colorset 80"
and it will change to the wallpaper assigned to colorset 80 in the script.

any help is appreciated

thank you,
krispyfi
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].