Subject: FVWM: Wired problem with mozilla and FvwmTaskBar

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:48:12 +0200

Hello all, 

since around a week I have problems with mozilla and FvwmTaskBar, 
which is killed ever time if I surf longer then 10 minutes... 
Yes, it disapears. Sometime it stays in memory but sometimes not.

I use the Versions:

fvwm:       2.5.10-8.michelle.1
mozilla:    2:1.6-6.backports.org.1

fvwm is working very fine sinc weeks !
I have upgraded mozilla for one week. Oh yes, I have 256 MByte 
of memory and 200 MByte of SWAP and mozilla eats up oll SWAP 
and then the memory after arround 15-30 minutes surfing the 
Internet. 

Maybe there is a conflict between the two programs

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/ 
Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:41:14 +0200

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:48:12PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Yes, it disapears.

Mozilla or FvwmTaskBar?

> Sometime it stays in memory but sometimes not.
> 
> I use the Versions:
> 

Sounds like a mozilla bug.

> Maybe there is a conflict between the two programs

Hardly.  Mozilla does not know and certainly does not care about
FvwmTaskBar.  If there were any conflict, then FvwmTaskBar should
freak out, not mozilla.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:03:05 +0200

>Mozilla or FvwmTaskBar?

FvwmtaskBar

>Sounds like a mozilla bug.

I think that too, because mozilla 2:1.6-1 and 2:1.6-1 was working fine.

>FvwmTaskBar.  If there were any conflict, then FvwmTaskBar should

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

>Dominik ^_^  ^_^

Mozilla has too much bugs...

Eats up 200 MByte of swap and 256 Mbyte of Memory in less then 30 min.
If I use mozilla longer then 1/2 hour I need to schutdown mozilla wait 
around 15 minutes for cleaning the swap and memory and start mozilla 
again...

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:38:23 -0400

Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]> writes:
> If I use mozilla longer then 1/2 hour I need to schutdown mozilla wait=20
> around 15 minutes for cleaning the swap and memory and start mozilla=20
> again...

I have mozilla up since July 2.
Size 72M, RSS 60M.

Mozilla 1.6.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:41:57 +0200

> Mozilla has too much bugs...

But it gets better :-)

> around 15 minutes for cleaning the swap and memory and start mozilla 

Try this script to start mozilla:

--------------- $HOME/bin/safemozilla -----------------
#!/bin/sh
# max. 100 MB data segment size
# max. 100 MB stack segment size
ulimit -d 100000 -s 100000
exec mozilla
-------------------------------------------------------

This at least prevents mozilla from eating up memory until swap
space is exhausted.  It will just crash and not halt the system in
the process.  You may want to use higher limits.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^