Subject: FVWM: Re: Wine + fvwm ...

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Dieter Kosch)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:41:26 +0200

Hi,

I found your mail cited below on a Google search today. Few days ago I 
experienced the same problem with WINE 20040615. More exactly, the 
window doesn't disappear on return, it already disappears on leaving the 
desktop as can be seen on FvwmPager. It seems to be a WINE bug 
concerning mapping/unmapping the window by fvwm. The disappeared window 
even disappears from fvwm's WindowList, so there's no chance to retrieve 
it. A simple but not very elegant workaround is to make the WINE window 
sticky by putting following line in your .fvwm2rc:

Style "Wine" Sticky

("Wine" is a class name here, so it doesn't matter which application 
you're running.)

This way WINE's window/icon goes with your desktop and will not show 
this strange behaviour.

The tradeoff is that the window stays in the way and you have to 
manually lower/iconify it. In the next days I'll try to evaluate a 
solution using FvwmEvent to automatically Raise/Lower or 
Iconify/Deiconify when switching desktops. I'll let you know the results.

By the way: I assume you mean "page on a desk" when you say "desktop".

Ciao

Kosch

---------------------------------------

# To: [email-masked]
# Subject: Wine + fvwm ...
# From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
# Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:25:45 +0530
# Content-disposition: inline
# User-Agent: Mutt/1.4i

Hi All,

     I tried to search the mailing list archives but nobody seems to
have had this problem ...

     - I use wine to start up a windoze app (typically Lotus Notes, but
       I tried it with "wine notepad" too with the same results).

     - I minimize the wine window.

     - I switch to another desktop and return to the original desktop
       (using keyboard or mouse - doesn't seem to make any difference).

     - When I return, the minimized window is restored.

     - If I leave the window in the normal state and leave the desktop
       and return, the window disappears when I return, though a "ps"
       shows that the process is still running.

     I started up KDE instead and tried the same thing. But there was
no problem in KDE.

     I have no special customizations for any events (e.g. fire off
some event when I enter a desktop) - in fact I don't know much about
fvwm events since I don't use them. No "Style"s for wine. No "Style"
for Notes (apart from an icon - that works fine).

     So, is it a problem with FVWM or is it wine (or both)? Is there
some way I can fix it/get around it?

     Thanks.

Koo
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:53:16 +0530

Hi,                                                                                                 
                                                                                                    
> window doesn't disappear on return, it already disappears on leaving                              
> the desktop as can be seen on FvwmPager.                                                          
                                                                                                    
    Yes, you're right.                                                                              
                                                                                                    
> A simple but not very elegant workaround is to make the WINE window                               
> sticky                                                                                            
                                                                                                    
    Yup, I figured that out :).                                                                     
                                                                                                    
    My problem was that sometimes I get used to being in windoze and                                
type Ctrl-<left|right> to move forwards/backwards by one word. But on                               
fvwm, Ctrl-left|right takes me to the next page on desk (as you put                                 
it). That conks off my wine window! So I decided that when I use wine,                              
I'll turn on the num-lock. That way an accidental Ctrl-<left|right>                                 
won't give rise to any problems.                                                                    
                                                                                                    
    It was a silly partial "solution", but good enough for many cases.                              
                                                                                                    
> In the next days I'll try to evaluate a solution using FvwmEvent to                               
> automatically Raise/Lower or Iconify/Deiconify when switching                                     
> desktops. I'll let you know the results.                                                          
                                                                                                    
    That would be cool :). Do let me know the outcome. It did strike                                
me at one time to try something out with FvwmEvent but since I didn't                               
(and still don't) know much about FvwmEvent (haven't needed to use                                  
it), I just left it!                                                                                
                                                                                                    
> By the way: I assume you mean "page on a desk" when you say
                                                                                                    
    Yes, yes.                                                                                       
                                                                                                    
    Thanks for your inputs :).                                                                      

Koo
--
Windows - just another pane.

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:15:46 +1000

> fvwm, Ctrl-left|right takes me to the next page on desk

I wonder if it is worth extending window-specific bindings so you can
do something like:

Key (!Wine*) Left A C GotoPage +1p 0

Then Ctrl-Left gets passed through to Wine windows but switches desk
anywhere else.

The only catch is _multiple_ !$win bindings like:

Key (!Beer*) Left A C SomeAction

which cause problems because the "SomeAction" action would be invoked
in _any_ window (because it is the "latest" matching binding) except
Beer windows. ie. the previous GotoPage binding is effectively hidden
& would never get called.

Thoughts anyone?

SCoTT. :)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:15:53 +0200

> Then Ctrl-Left gets passed through to Wine windows but switches desk

I'd do it differently:

  Key (Wine*) Left A C --

where

  -  = destroy binding
  -- = no binding, even if other bindings say something else

> & would never get called.

That's not an issue with the alternative syntax.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:07:01 +1000

Hi Dominik, :)

>   -- = no binding, even if other bindings say something else

Great idea! Implemented.

Thanks.

SCoTT. :)