Subject: FVWM: fvwm vs ion

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:31:57 +1000

Hi,

I am curious if any long time fvwmers has tried out the tiled
window manager Ion. 

I tried it out yesterday for only one day and I think it can be 
very useful especially for serious coding. The concept of the tiled
window manager is quite interesting and it can definitely improve
work productivity.

I know we have got FvwmRearrange and FvwmTabs. But it will be 
really nice if we have a FvwmFrame module that can manage a single
desktop or screen like what Ion can.

I think it will make fvwm even more unique! What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Shao.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 01:17:10 -0700

I experimented with the idea a while back.

http://www.imonk.com/baboon/FvwmPartition/

-- 
  _
 ( \      _  \    /_ /  _ _  Jason Weber                  Oceanside, CA
  \|(\/)()))  \/\/(-/_)(-/(  http://www.imonk.com/baboon  [email-masked]
  //                                                      [email-masked]
 (/

---

From: Parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:19:13 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Parv thusly...
>
> ...i wanted both the fvwm's & ion's feature, which is not easy to do
> when one has to remember the key bindings of both.

I started working on an article but somehow have not finished it
yet...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/x/case-simul-wm.xhtmls

  - Parv

--

---

From: Parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:12:47 -0400

in message <20040702163157.A4014@localhost>,
wrote Shao Zhang thusly...
> I am curious if any long time fvwmers has tried out the tiled

I did (ion 20020207)...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/cf/ion/
  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/graphic.comp/ion/ion-vnc-fvwm.png

...i wanted both the fvwm's & ion's feature, which is not easy to do
when one has to remember the key bindings of both.  As i was more
familiar & comfortable w/ fvwm, i st[ui]ck w/ it.

Fvwm (2.5.6 - 2.5.10) features i prefer...

  - shaded windows
  - virtual pager & representation
  - window list
  - (root) menu customization
  - large amount of things that can be binded w/ keys

Ion (20020207) features i prefer...

  - no overlapping windows
  - window organization was much better than FvwmTab of the time.

  - Parv

--