Subject: FVWM: Firefox fullscreen mode: an observation

From: "Junren Shi And Xin Hu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:43:37 -0400

Hi,

      I encountered an issue reported ealier in this list but there seems to 
be no solution.  The symptom is that: pressing F11 in firefox to enter the 
full screen mode will make it disappear from the desktop and the windowlist. 
  The program keeps running but it just cannot be seen.  Sometimes the 
fullscreen may come up but usually the window will eventually disappear 
after switching F11 a number times.

     I am running firefox 0.91 under linux (Fedora core 2) and the fvwm 
version is 2.5.8 rpm downloaded from the main website.  The fullscreen mode 
runs ok in every other window managers including the old MWM -- but not in 
fvwm.

      A related issue: invoking View->Toolbars->Customize , the 
Customization window also disappears and nowhere to find.

      I have an observation: If I start firefox using "strace -f firefox" 
(to trace the system calls), then everything will be ok -- including the 
fullscreen mode and the customization window.

       Apparently "strace -f firefox" will greatly slowdown the firefox 
process.  My theory is that the bug originates from a tricky timing and 
scheduling issue.  In the normal running of firefox, fvwm may be not able to 
keep up the speed of firefox and response its request in a timely manner.  
But with "strace -f firefox" , the firefox will run slowly enough  so that 
fvwm can catch up.

       Hope this will help to nail down the problem and fix it.

       Best

Junren

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Xiaoyong Jin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:02:19 +0800

>        Hope this will help to nail down the problem and fix it.

I've tried this but haven't encounter any problem except changing of original 
position of firefox.

I use firefox 0.8 and fvwm 2.5.10 under gentoo.