Subject: FVWM: translation of the manpage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:18:35 +0200

Hello,

I don't really know where to post, so excuse me if i made an error.
I would like to translate in french the fvwm manpage, so could you indicate me
if it's possible and if so, i'd like to know if somebody carries out it yet.

Thanks a lot.

Jeff LANCE

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:10:27 +1000

> I don't really know where to post, so excuse me if i made an error.

This is the correct place for general FVWM questions.

> if it's possible

Any translations of FVWM man pages would be most welcome, however, we
would require some method of ensuring that non-English man pages are
kept up-to-date.

This is difficult as the FVWM developers constantly update the (English)
man pages whenever they add new features. It is not uncommon to see the
fvwm man page being altered every few days.

Additionally, there are actually 44 different man pages for FVWM!
The "fvwm" man page is by far the largest, but there are also separate
man pages for each module & for several utilities.

So, in short, if you can determine a method of keeping non-English
man pages synchronised with the English man pages the developers use,
I'm sure the developers would agree to incorporate them into FVWM.

One way to reduce the amount of work I suppose, is to only maintain
non-English man pages for stable releases of FVWM - they will change
much less often.

SCoTT. :)

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:20:02 +0200

>if it's possible and if so, i'd like to know if somebody carries out it yet.

Mama mia !!!
Tu as trop te temps ???

I was thinking in translating the fvwm/FvwmXXX manpages to german !!!
It is a job for hunderd years !

>Jeff LANCE

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/ 
Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

---

From: Sarah Burgo <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2004 23:33:06 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

[ I accidentally answered this directly to Jeff, so I send this again to
the list this time - sorry, Jeff !]

> Hello,
Bonjour,

> I would like to translate in french the fvwm manpage, so could you
> indicate me if it's possible and if so, i'd like to know if somebody
> carries out it yet.

Well, there's me :)
I already have a first version of the Fvwm man page translated in
french, based on the stable version, and I'm trying to keep up with the
changes in the unstable versions, to be in sync with the next brand new
shiny Fvwm 2.6 (hopefully) ; I also plan to translate as many modules
man pages as possible, and begun a tutorial (it will exist in 2 versions
: english and french... if I'm able to steal some time, here and there).

Nothing is published yet - I didn't mean to announce anything before 2.5
became stable, but it would be a pity to work on such a huge project
separately, on the very same man pages :) So, most of the "gros oeuvre"
is done for fvwm itself, but if you have something in mind for the other
man pages, please contact me !

Sarah