Subject: FVWM: Changing FVWM's location

From: "Moore, Garron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:14:56 -0700

In our setup of FVWM, we need to be able to copy the FVWM installation to other machines where FVWM will be located in different places in the file system. These machines do not have compilers in them and won't be able to build FVWM. It seems that the installation location is inserted in several files at build time. Is it possible to re-locate an FVWM installation or to set up FVWM to use an environment variable like $FVWM_ROOT instead of hard-coded paths?

Thanks,
Garron Moore
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:44:33 +0000

On 16 Jul 2004 12:14:56 -0700, Moore, Garron wrote:
> 
> In our setup of FVWM, we need to be able to copy the FVWM installation
> to other machines where FVWM will be located in different places in the
> file system. These machines do not have compilers in them and won't be
> able to build FVWM. It seems that the installation location is inserted
> in several files at build time. Is it possible to re-locate an FVWM
> installation or to set up FVWM to use an environment variable like
> $FVWM_ROOT instead of hard-coded paths?

All reasonable tasks all doable in applications properly using autoconf.

Now, if you explain your problem better (like which version you want to
install (stable, from cvs, from tarball), whether installation hosts are
of the same architecture as the build host, whether they share certain
file systems including your source directory, whether they all should use
the same installation prefix and so on), then I may even give you exact
./configure and make options to achieve your specific task.

Also, there are additional fvwm specific solutions for rpm and deb based
systems, using "make rpm-dist [params]" and "make deb-dist [params]".

Regards,
Mikhael.