Subject: FVWM: SnapAttraction Question

From: Matthew Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:44:11 -0600 (MDT)

Hi All!

I was playing with the SnapAttraction feature, but realized that it
only works on move operations.   Does anyone know if there are any
plans on having this feature with with a resize operation as well ?

Thanks,

Matt

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:14:07 +0200

> plans on having this feature with with a resize operation as well ?

It makes little sense with resizing.  Most applications demand a
certain resize step size (e.g. the font width or height).  You can
only rarely snap them to adjacent windows without moving them.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:30:56 -0600 (MDT)

> only rarely snap them to adjacent windows without moving them.

For me it goes hand-in-hand with productivity, a feature that I've
been looking for  for quite some time.  So for me it makes perfect
sense.  

For example, lets say that I ( obviously I'm  doing things different
from others ) want to have 3 terminal windows for various compiles on
the same page.  For me, I quite often like to have them stacked
horizontally one right on top of the other, taking up roughly 1/3 of
the available screen space (better readablity of output on multiple
terms that I can resize if I need the whole context).  This task would
be much easier to accomplish by dragging a window to the bottom (move
operation) then resizing it to the left and right screens (snapping
being the key) and then having the other 2 terminals snap to the
terminal and screens through resize operations.   

Yes I could create a script that gets called  through a menu op or a
key binding, but I'm quite know for just shuffling things around, so
this would never really solve my problems.

I haven't looked at the code, but it seems to me that the issue of
resize-stepsize could be methodically handled in a reasonable fashion.

I was only looking to see if there were any plans on updating this
feature, not to implement it myself, but now I've gotten a bit
curious.  You seem to know a bit about this section of code, If you
could point me to the base files that deal directly with this, I just
might take a peek and see if I can implement something on my system
that will work.

Thanks

Matt

PS.  no need to CC my directly, I check the list daily.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:27:54 +0200

> terminal and screens through resize operations.   

Is this the layout you have in mind?

  +----------------------+ <-- screen
  |                      |
  |                      |
  |                      |
  |                      |
  |                      |
  |+--------------------+| <-- compile windows, all with the same
  ||                    ||     size and position
  |+--------------------+|
  +----------------------+

I don't see what SnapAttraction would buy you here.  And in any
case, the same effect can be achieved much easier with Maximize.
For example, I have

  key q tsfw maximize toggle 100 0

Whenever I want to have a window span all the page width, I just
press ctrl-meta-q.  No fiddling with the mouse required.  Or you
could bind it to a decoration button.

  mouse 3 2 n maximize toggle 100 0

I think the real productivity issue is that you're resizing your
windows manually :-)

With 2.5.11 (i.e. the current version with a fix that I have
just committed), also allows the same effect without maximizing:

  resizemove frame 100 keep 0 -0

You may also want to take a look at the "grow" option to Maximize.

> might take a peek and see if I can implement something on my system

fvwm/move_resize.c

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Matthew Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:22:37 -0600 (MDT)

Comments added into previous text, for context

>   |+--------------------+| <-- compile windows, all with the same

Actually I was trying for the following: ( Not good at ascii art, but here goes)

+-------------------------------+  <-- Screen  
|                                        |  
|                                        | <-- Term Window  
|                                        |   
|--------------------------------| 
|                                        |  
|                                        | 
|                                        | <--Term Window 
|                                        |  
|--------------------------------|  
|                                        |  <--Term window  
|                                        |  
|--------------------------------|   
|                                        |   <-- Taskbar  
+-------------------------------+

The intent is to leave no space between Term windows or  the screen
(up to the taskbar on the bottom).  This allows me to observe 3 (or
more) compiles, scripts, or other items at the same time, only having
to maximize (full screen) when I need more detail or history. 

> case, the same effect can be achieved much easier with Maximize.

Didn't realize that Maximize had a horziontal/vertical component to
it.  This will be handy.

> could bind it to a decoration button.

Yes, a button decoration " <-> "  for screen-to-screen max in the horizontal on the titlebar.

> I think the real productivity issue is that you're resizing your

I won't argue with that.  I come from Solaris with CDE.  No one could
get keyboard bindings to work, so I've learned to live without them. (
But don't you dare take away my XEmacs keybindings :)

> You may also want to take a look at the "grow" option to Maximize.

I'll have to take a look at that one later today (fvwm.org seems to be
down at the moment), but it's the clean butting up of windows together
through a resize op that I'm referring to.  I wouldn't worry about it
any.  It is just a feature request that I'll look into, but if no one
else uses it as such, then it is my problem and mine alone.  

> fvwm/move_resize.c

Thanks, I'll take a peek and see.

> Dominik ^_^  ^_^

Thanks for the input

Matt

---

From: Matthew Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:00:18 -0600 (MDT)

Dominik,

Another way that I would envision using resize ops for SnapAttraction
is when an app is opened is partially obscures another app.  Rather
than doing a move-resize-move type of manuever to get it positioned
properly, using a snapAttraction, a simple resize with SnapAttraction
would make it a one move operation.

Just trying to help you understand where I'm coming from, and why I
see it as a valuable addition.

Matt