Subject: FVWM: open office slide show fails under fvwm

From: Joachim Wuttke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:00:26 +0200 (MET DST)

I am using open office 1.1 with fvwm 2.5, xfree86 4.3, debian 3.1.

Starting a slide show from ooimpress, the image covers only about
85 % the width and 85 % the height of my screen.

On the open office mailing list (thread
news://news.gmane.org:119/[email-masked])
I got the answer that this is definitely a fvwm problem (same .sxi file
works under KDE). In any case, the problem does NOT depend on specific
content of my slide show.

Thanks for any clue - Joachim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uli Wachowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:08:37 +0200

> 85 % the width and 85 % the height of my screen.

I can't confirm that. All my presentations run as fullscreen (slideshow)
w/o problems.

SUSE 9.1, OO 1.1, FVWM 2.5.10, xfree 4.3.99

What about other programs? Do those expand to real 'fullscreen'?

-- 
The truth is: Amerika is jealous of Germany. We have good beer, 
Dieter Bohlen and premarital sex.

---

From: Joachim Wuttke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:09:04 +0200 (MET DST)

> What about other programs? Do those expand to real 'fullscreen'?

Yes: acroread expands to real full fullscreen. It is, however, not
a solution for my presentation (too slow, images blurred).

So, the problem I encounter is quite precisely a problem of open
office interacting badly with fvwm. It's nice to hear that in
someone else's configuration they interact correctly. So, it's
a configuration problem. My question is, then: which fvwm parameters
are potentially capable of making oo misbehave ?

Thanks for any clue, and sorry again for posting the previous message
twice - Joachim

---

From: Uli Wachowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:59:57 +0200

> a solution for my presentation (too slow, images blurred).

Mhh, I never meant this as an alterantive solution to you problem. I was
thinking about the possibility to 'spare' some space around windows
which will never be covered by them to access the desktop.

> are potentially capable of making oo misbehave ?

This would be something like this:

---
#####
# You can use EwmhBaseStruts to stop Maximised windows from obscuring
TaskBars/ButtonBars# or anything else you always want to be visible.
#
# This Setting makes sure my ButtonBar on the left and taskbar along the
bottom is always# visible.
#################
EwmhBaseStruts 0 128 0 20

-- 
Ask a stupid question, and be a fool for 5 minutes.
Don't ask, and be a fool for the rest of your life.

---

From: Joachim Wuttke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:06:15 +0200 (MET DST)

> bottom is always# visible.

I fear, this is not the clue to my problem:
(1, weakest reason) I don't think I ever set that parameter
(2) "grep Ewmh .fvwm/*/*" returns nil
(3, strongest reason) why, then, would acroread work correctly ?

Any other suggestion for a parameter that might affect open office
more specifically ?

Thanks, Joachim

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:51:52 +0300

> Thanks for any clue, and sorry again for posting the previous message

I never tried to solve it since I don't work with impress, but I see
the same problem. Going to slide show mode, the OO window is filled
with the slide show, that is, it does full frame but not full screen.

Maximizing the window and removing the title before starting the slide
show is close to full screen, but not exactly.

other programs do give me full screen.

This is with OO 1.1.2 , fvwm 2.5.11 1snapshot from 2004-07-18 and debian
sid (unstable). Could be a debian thing?

>  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.
>

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:20:03 +0530

> (2) "grep Ewmh .fvwm/*/*" returns nil

Not a good enough search!

nostalgia kingsly $ grep Ewmh .fvwm/*/*
nostalgia kingsly $ grep Ewmh .fvwm/*  
nostalgia kingsly $ grep Ewmh .fvwm/.fvwm2rc
EwmhBaseStruts 10 80 150 140
nostalgia kingsly $ 

Kingsly