Subject: FVWM: Question about FAQ 7.17

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:37:30 +0800

Hi all,

What the following line (from FAQ 7.17) means?

    FvwmAuto FvwmAutohide -menter enter_handler

Man FvwmAuto shows the syntax to invoke FvwmAuto:

    Module FvwmAuto Timeout [-passid] [-menter|-menterleave|-mfocus]
    [EnterCommand [LeaveCommand]]

So what's the 'FvwmAutohide' for? Is it an alias? Thanks.

Regards,
Liu Shidai

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:06:11 +0000

> So what's the 'FvwmAutohide' for? Is it an alias? Thanks.

The quoted line is a bit hacky although it works.

FvwmAuto does not currently support aliases. However, fvwm tries to
support them in the dumb mode, i.e. anything that looks like an alias is
considered one.

So, in this case, FvwmAuto simply considers any incorrect string like
"FvwmAutohide" as the timeout 0. But the side effect is that you may kill
this FvwmAuto module without affecting other FvwmAuto invocations using:

  KillModule FvwmAuto FvwmAutohide

The correct line would be of course:

  FvwmAuto 0 -menter enter_handler

or (when/if FvwmAuto starts to support aliases):

  FvwmAuto FvwmAutohide 0 -menter enter_handler

I think one of these 2 solutions should be applied to this FAQ entry so
we don't receive such questions anymore.

Regards,
Mikhael.