Subject: FVWM: Compile problems in Win2k on Cygwin

From: "Nathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:30:14 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

Hope you can help me.  I am an avid user of Fvwm on cygwin.  I couldn't
get by at work without it.  I have been haveing a few issues with it and
decided to upgrade my cygwin first.  After doing that my meta keys
wouldn't work.  I downloaded fvwm-2.4.18.tar.gz and tried to compile it. 
Here is the core of the error that I'm seeing:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../..  -I/usr/X11R6/include    -g
-O2 -c `test -f 'root_bits.c' || echo './'`root_bits.c
gcc  -g -O2   -o FvwmBacker.exe  FvwmBacker.o root_bits.o -L../../libs
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfvwm -lXpm -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lm
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.18/modules/FvwmBacker'
Making all in FvwmBanner
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.18/modules/FvwmBanner'
cd ../.. && /bin/bash ./config.status modules/FvwmBanner/Makefile depfiles
config.status: creating modules/FvwmBanner/Makefile
config.status: executing depfiles commands
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.18/modules/FvwmBanner'
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.18/modules/FvwmBanner'
gcc -g -O2    FvwmBanner.c   -o FvwmBanner
FvwmBanner.c:23:20: config.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c:48:26: libs/fvwmlib.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c:49:26: libs/Picture.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c:50:25: libs/Module.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c:51:26: libs/FScreen.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c:52:25: libs/FShape.h: No such file or directory
FvwmBanner.c: In function `main':

It's like the makefile lost it's mind.  Can anyone help?  I'm trying to
debug the makefile myself but because I'm not familiar with the setup it
is taking a long time.

Attached is the full log of the ./configure and the ./make calls.

Thanks,
Nathan

-- 
"All your base are belong to Trogdor"

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:36:52 +1000

Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure I can help, but ...

> debug the makefile myself but because I'm not familiar with the setup it

What happens if you remove this line:

XTRA_PROGRAMS = FvwmBanner

from modules/FvwmBanner/Makefile.am & rebuild?

If that fails, do:

cd modules/FvwmBanner && make clean && make -n

& send us the output.

Incidentally, does 2.5.x compile in your Cygwin environment?

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Nathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:07:18 -0500 (CDT)

Scott,

Thanks for the help.  I have more information since I posted.  I will try
your ideas when I get to work as I don't have the computer I was using in
front of me.

I did, however, try to configure and compile the code on a Linux box at
work and then checked the differences in the makefiles to see what I could
see.  I was looking in about the same place as you are now and I noticed
that when I made it on the linux box the variable EXEEXT was left blank. 
When I cleared this variable on my cygwin build everything when smoothly. 
Originally on the cygwin build EXEEXT was set to EXEEXT = .exe ,  This
obviously is causing some kind of problem.

The original problem that was trying to fix was still there though which
is this:  I have the alt key and function keys mapped to certain things
and they have stopped working.  I guess I need to try something else.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Nathan