Subject: FVWM: Can we have your vote for our Miss Marieke for the Miss Belgium Contest ?

From: "Mariekes Fan Club" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:17:41 +0200

Dear,

We apologize for our unsolicited email.  We represent the fanclub of our own Marieke, who is starting the preselection for Miss Belgium 2004.

Though beauty and intelligence are important, the organisation organized also a webpoll. So we are creative and ask you if you would vote for our Marieke on http://www.exposed.be/cgi-bin/webvotingoost/rankem.cgi?id=oost10
There are no popups or banners, just the click on the link "enter" is enough, and she has your vote !

We thank You in advance, a virtual kiss from her !!

The Fan Club of Miss Marieke
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Mariekes Fan Club" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:17:42 +0200

Dear,

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:35:15 -0400

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:17:42PM +0200, Mariekes Fan Club wrote:
> Dear,
> 
> We apologize for our unsolicited email.  We represent the fanclub of
> our own Marieke, who is starting the preselection for Miss Belgium
> 2004. 

Is it just me, or does half of Europe think the FVWM mailing list is a
target of opportunity for drive-by spamming?

> Though beauty and intelligence are important, the organisation
> organized also a webpoll. So we are creative and ask you if you would
> vote for our Marieke on
> http://www.exposed.be/cgi-bin/webvotingoost/rankem.cgi?id=oost10

Surely you jest.

> We thank You in advance, a virtual kiss from her !!

Here, have a virtual boot up the ass in return.

-- 
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]
   phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek
     2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)
           Linux Now!  ...Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:41:06 +0200

Hello phil, 

>target of opportunity for drive-by spamming?

Please do not answer to SPAMS. Install spamassassin 2.63 with its 
bayesisn filter, traine it and good is...

Since two weeks I have gotten only 6 SPAMS into the lists I am 
subscribed. spamassassin has catched around 5200 of it with ZERO 
FalsePositives. 

The threads about SPAM are much bigger then the SPAM itself. 

So please do not answer to such messages and to this Message too.

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/ 
Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:57:03 -0400

> bayesisn filter, traine it and good is...

Well, actually, I already use both SpamAssassin and dspam.  Not much
gets through (and of the two, dspam catches far more than SpamAssassin
does).

My point was that the FVWM list is probably the second lowest traffic
level of all the lists I'm subscribed to, and accounts for maybe 1% of
my mailing-list email, but there's more spam on the fvwm list than on
all my other mailing lists put together.  Seems like fvwm gets spammed
every few days.  The last time I got spam from any of my other lists was
months ago.

There are fairly simple means to secure a mailing list against drive-by
spamming.  Doesn't the fvwm list use them?

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 2004 22:36:53 -0500

>>>>> "PS" == Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]> writes:

PS> There are fairly simple means to secure a mailing list against
PS> drive-by spamming.  Doesn't the fvwm list use them?

Yes, it does.  Frankly I don't agree with your characterization; the
FVWM list gets far fewer spams than, say, the openssh or xfree86
mailing lists.  Yes, the host runs spamassassin.  Yes, it has many
hand-tuned filters.  Yes, they work; thousands of spams are stopped
per day.  I should know, as I'm the one who filters through the ones
that are marked as "borderline".  But if you cannot handle receiving
any spam that accidentally makes it through the filters, I suggest you
leave the list because those filters will simply never be perfect.

And now this thread has generated more messages than the last two
month's spam load on this list.  Please stop it, or contact me
off-list if you want to talk about it.  You could have always done
that: [email-masked] is the proper address to contact if you have
issues with the mailing list.

 - J<