Subject: FVWM: RaiseTransient and FPClickRaisesFocused results in flickering

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 06:30:00 -0400

I prefer the behavior of both RaiseTransient and FPClickRaisesFocused,
but when I use both, the following happens: it appears that the
transient's parents are raised, followed by the transient itself being
raised, whenever I click anywhere within the transient window
(regardless of whether it was already the topmost window.)  This results
in a really ugly flickering effect and a superfluous redraw that I'd
really like to get rid of.

Is there any accepted workaround for this problem, or is it a bug?

Thanks,
-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:55:24 +0200

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:30:00AM -0400, Ben Winslow wrote:
> raised,

Neither of above options would cause the transient's parent window
to be raised.  Do you mean StackTransientParent?

> whenever I click anywhere within the transient window

> Is there any accepted workaround for this problem, or is it a bug?

I need the full config details to judge what happens (please
stripped down to the relevant parts).

Overall, flickering can not be suppressed at all times because the
X11 interface is a bit lacking.  But the case you describe should
work fine.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:18:06 -0400

> stripped down to the relevant parts).

Okay, when I stripped everything down, I found the problem was someplace
else entirely.  To reproduce, I used this configuration:

DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction
+ "I" Module FvwmCommandS
+ "I" Module FvwmConsole

BugOpts RaiseOverUnmanaged true

Style "*" FPClickRaisesFocused

With this configuration, click inside the window area of nearly any
transient window (I say nearly because it didn't work with mozilla's
find dialog), and you should notice the flickering.  The
RaiseOverUnmanaged bugopt seems to be what's causing the problem (as the
problem goes away when I remove it.)

If it's impossible to prevent the flickering while using this option, a
note in the man page might be helpful (I can live without the option if
this is the case, and enabled it only because I find unmanaged splash
screens annoying.)

The problem doesn't seem to be toolkit-specific, but it doesn't occur
all the time either.  I reproduced the behavior using GTK1 (1.2.10-16;
preferences dialog in yank), GTK2 (2.4.1-4; preferences window in
Galeon, search window in gucharmap, attachment window in Evolution),
Motif (preferences dialog in Netscape Communicator 4.75), Xaw (from X
4.3.0.dfsg.1-4; resource box in editres), QT3 (3.2.3-2; print dialog in
Konqeuror), lesstif (Motif 2.1, lesstif 0.93.94-4; search dialog in
xpdf.)

Hopefully you'll be able to reproduce with at least one of the
toolkits/applications listed.  ;)

fvwm 2.5.11 (from cvs) compiled on Jun  3 2004 at 13:31:51
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi
text, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS
All toolkits mentioned (and therefore their distro-specific subversions
listed) are from Debian unstable.