Subject: FVWM: Action binding before a popup of a submenu

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:43:23 +0100

Following a brief mention on IRC, I'm going to throw a suggestion into
the pot for you all to chew on. :) I don't believe this is possible yet,
but some you might be able to suggest otherwise.

The current action of menus works like this:

menu (possible click) --> popup of submenu

Which is great. What I am wanting/wondering is if it is possible to do
something like:

menu (and if clicked before the popup occurs, then launch an
application) --> else popup submenu.

What do people think of this?

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:13:23 +0200

> What do people think of this?

It's an interesting idea.  But if we ever have configurable
actions for different keys or mouse buttons it's probably easier
to just configure button 3 to the special action.  One possible
difficulty I see is that the popup delay is usually not configured
so that a human can do something before the menu pops up.  It is
meant to protect against menus popping up when the pointer passes
over them.  For example, in my setup (extremely fast pointer
movement with a trackball), it's impossible to hit a menu item
reliably in less than one or two seconds.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Ruslan Kosolapov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:44:52 +0700

>> Which is great. What I am wanting/wondering is if it is possible to
 >> do something like:
 >> 

 DV> It's an interesting idea.  But if we ever have configurable actions
 DV> for different keys or mouse buttons it's probably easier to just
 DV> configure button 3 to the special action.

  But different actions for one menu item is not implemented in fvwm.
  Am I wrong?

  BTW, 
  Menu of my dreams :) is such menu, where I can emulate emacs-like
  keybindings.  For example:  

  AddToMenu XtermMenu
  + N x "Just xterm" Exec exec xterm
  + C x "xterm with mc" Exec exec xterm -e mc
    ^ ^- shortcut key
     \modificator.

  N - without modificators (so I just press Enter or "x" for run xterm),
  C - control (so I press Control-Enter or Control-x for run xterm with
  mc), and so on like key binding.

  Also in such menu possible to use next constructions:
  N x "xv" Exec exec xv
  C x "xv" Exec exec xv `xclip -o`

  In this case in menu must show only one item "xv".  I.e. if text for
  menu items is the same, menu items should be one.  But this behaviour
  should be discussed anyway (how to show different keybindings in
  rendered menu?  should be modificators affect mouse clicks or not?). I
  just give an example.

 DV> One possible difficulty I see is that the popup delay is usually
 DV> not configured so that a human can do something before the menu
 DV> pops up.  It is meant to protect against menus popping up when the
 DV> pointer passes over them.  For example, in my setup (extremely fast
 DV> pointer movement with a trackball), it's impossible to hit a menu
 DV> item reliably in less than one or two seconds.

  Also many people not use mouse for navigation in menu.  I use
  shortcuts, and usability of this method is very high.

PS: sorry for bad english, if somebody not understood me I can try to
explain :)

-- 
Ruslan Kosolapov
Plesk QA Department Second Manager
SWsoft, Inc.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web Site: www.sw-soft.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:53:10 +0100

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:13:23 +0200

> to just configure button 3 to the special action.  One possible

I agree. It wasn't that it had to be before the popup menu is displayed
-- I had just assumed this is what the majority of people would have
wanted. :)

> reliably in less than one or two seconds.

Show-off. :) I'm lucky to just about have a serial mouse! :) I'm
gradually working my way to USB....

-- Thomas Adam