Subject: FVWM: Wine + fvwm ...

From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:25:45 +0530

Hi All,

    I tried to search the mailing list archives but nobody seems to
have had this problem ...

    - I use wine to start up a windoze app (typically Lotus Notes, but
      I tried it with "wine notepad" too with the same results).

    - I minimize the wine window.

    - I switch to another desktop and return to the original desktop
      (using keyboard or mouse - doesn't seem to make any difference).

    - When I return, the minimized window is restored.

    - If I leave the window in the normal state and leave the desktop
      and return, the window disappears when I return, though a "ps"
      shows that the process is still running.

    I started up KDE instead and tried the same thing. But there was
no problem in KDE.

    I have no special customizations for any events (e.g. fire off
some event when I enter a desktop) - in fact I don't know much about
fvwm events since I don't use them. No "Style"s for wine. No "Style"
for Notes (apart from an icon - that works fine).

    So, is it a problem with FVWM or is it wine (or both)? Is there
some way I can fix it/get around it?

    Thanks.

Koo
--
Windows - just another pane.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:45:20 +0200

>       shows that the process is still running.

I think wine is doing something wrong.  It probably thinks that
when it is unmapped (like when the desk is switched) it has become
iconic and then explicitly asks the WM to be iconified.
Ask the wine folks what exactly they are doing when the window is
mapped/unmapped.

> some way I can fix it/get around it?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]