Subject: FVWM: How to bind action to key release?

From: Ruslan Kosolapov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:01:55 +0700

Some time ago construction "Key -<key> A A <command>" was mean
  "execute <command> when <key> will be released".

  Now such construction return "[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such
  key: -<key>"

  Question: how to bind action to key release?

  Also in man FvwmProxy I see: 
  "Key -Meta_L     A   A   SendToModule    FvwmProxy   Hide"

  But this is not working - error received.  Bug in documentation?

  I read something about it in this list, but I don't remember details
  and can't found no one messages in mailing list archive about it.

-- 
Ruslan Kosolapov
Plesk QA Department Second Manager
SWsoft, Inc.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web Site: www.sw-soft.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 01:10:03 +0100

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:01:55 +0700
Ruslan Kosolapov <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Now such construction return "[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No
>   such key: -<key>"

If you re-read the manpage, you'll see that the format is:

key <key> .........

>   But this is not working - error received.  Bug in documentation?

No, just a bug in your not reading the man page. :)

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.

---

From: Ruslan Kosolapov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:28:23 +0700

>>   Now such construction return "[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No
 TA> If you re-read the manpage, you'll see that the format is: key
 TA> <key> .........

  I know.  But how I can bind action to key _release_, not press?  In
  early fvwm solution for this task was use "-" before keyname.  Now it
  is not work.

 >>   But this is not working - error received.  Bug in documentation?
 TA> No, just a bug in your not reading the man page. :)

  I have a fvwm 2.5.10.

  Screenshot of man FvwmProxy you can see on
  http://somewhere.ru/~rk/gfx/qwe.jpg

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:17:20 -0400

>   Question: how to bind action to key release?

That feature was added on 2002-11-14 as part of the 2.5.6 release.
It was removed on 2003-03-09 as part of the 2.5.7 release because
the feature wouldn't work reliably.

>   But this is not working - error received.  Bug in documentation?

Yes, it is a bug in the documentation.

>   and can't found no one messages in mailing list archive about it.

Look for the dates above.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Piotr Zielinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:28:05 +0100

Ruslan> Question: how to bind action to key release?

If you're really, really desperate, and no other solution works, you
can try the following nasty hack:

In .Xmodmap define your key as a modifier, say Mod5.  Configure fvwm
in such a way that every time your key is pressed you simulate
pressing another key, say F11, using the FakePress command.  Then,
define two bindings for F11: one with Mod5 active and the other
without.  If Mod5 is active, then use the Schedule command to simulate
pressing F11 again in, say, 50ms.  If not, then execute the command
you want to execute on the key release.  Perhaps F11 and Mod5 can be
the same key, but I haven't tested this.

Piotr