Subject: FVWM: Another dumb question ;-)

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:32:49 +0200

Hello,

I just  have a «dumb»  question: what is  the advantage to  have several
desktops when you can with only one have «unlimited» pages ?

I mean, I don't really see, what is the purpose of it ;)

If I take my situation, I have one desktop with 4 pages (2x2).

In other window managers, it would be treated as 4 virtual desktops.

Another question, is  there a simple way to have "named"  pages ? I mean
I want my  4 pages to have different  names just the same as if  I had 4
desktops.

Dunno if I am clear ;)

Regards,
-- 
Xavier Maillard
7 rue Jeanne Jugan, 51100 Reims, France
phone: +33 3 26 77 02 21, mobile: +33 6 68 04 64 37
email: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nicholas Paul Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:49:12 -0400 (EDT)

> I mean, I don't really see, what is the purpose of it ;)
As far as I can tell, the main difference between them is that windows can
span different pages of a desk, while windows cannot span desk boundaries.  
Also, the visual area can span page boundaries, but not desk boundaries.  

Personally, I just have multiple desks with one page per desk.  I don't 
think the benefits of pages are so great; I tend to maximize everything.
  
> I want my  4 pages to have different  names just the same as if  I had 4
To what degree must they be named?  Is it sufficient for all the menu 
entries that refer to them to call them by a name? 

- -- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Nicholas Paul Johnson
  o nickjohnson \at\ virginia \dot\ edu
  o 3ebf10a7 subkeys.pgp.net
  o http://manjac.ath.cx/nick
  o "When all you've got is a hammer,
    everything looks like a nail.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:22:52 +0200

On 10 May 2004, Nicholas Paul Johnson wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the main difference between them is that windows
> can span  different pages  of a desk,  while windows cannot  span desk
> boundaries. Also,  the visual area  can span page boundaries,  but not
> desk boundaries.

Ok.

> think  the  benefits  of  pages  are  so great;  I  tend  to  maximize

I tend to do so too.

> > Another question,  is there a simple  way to have "named"  pages ? I
> > mean I want my 4 pages to have different names just the same as if I
> > had 4 desktops.
> > 

For example,  but I was  thinking more on  having their name  shown into
the Pager. My  main desktop (ie. the only one)  would be unnamed whereas
its pages would be named.

Regards,
-- 
.o.   Xavier Maillard            Tel: +33 6 68 04 64 37
..o  
ooo

---

From: Nicholas Paul Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:46:20 -0400 (EDT)

> its pages would be named.
I don't think you can name pages with FvwmPager, and the man page doesn't
seem to include mention of this, but I can think of at least two hacks
which have the same (visual) effect:

One option would be to use FvwmButtons to swallow the FvwmPager, and then
put the names above each respective page using either (a) a button with a
title and no action, or (b) images of the page names.  This can be 
tedious until you get the hang of FvwmButtons :(

Another option would be to use a background pixmap for the FvwmPager, and
make that image such that it has the name of each page at the right
locations.  The names would then be obscured by any windows in those 
pages :(

How big is your pager?

If someone knows a less hackish way of doing this, go with that.

- --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:09:46 +0000

On 10 May 2004 17:46:20 -0400, Nicholas Paul Johnson wrote:
> seem to include mention of this

It's true, pages can't be named, but if desks of 1x1 pages are good for
you, then you may arrange 6 desks as 2x3, each desk having its own label.

> but I can think of at least two hacks

This is a good solution for, say, 2x2 or 3x2 page layout.

> locations.  The names would then be obscured by any windows in those 

Well, you may try half transparent mini-windows then, I think. See FAQ.

> If someone knows a less hackish way of doing this, go with that.

I don't. It is easier to name desks (using DesktopName command).

P.S. Please give more meaningful subject lines. Noone is going to google
for "dumb question", but people may be interested in "page labels".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:00:35 +0200

On 11 May 2004, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> P.S.  Please give  more meaningful  subject lines.  Noone is  going to
> google  for "dumb  question", but  people may  be interested  in "page
> labels".

Yes  sure ;)  Apologize for  that.  I can  at least  rename the  current
subject.

Thank you for your answers. I think I will have 6 desktops of 1x1 size.

Regards,

zeDek
-- 
"sometimes i feel like we're making emacs better and better because we don't 
 know what to do with emacs once it is finished."

    -- AlexSchroeder on #emacs @OPN