Subject: FVWM: Design principles of a good window manager

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:39:43 +1000

Hi all,

I came across this article recently which explains some of the
reasons why the Macintosh window-manager is so much more intuitive &
user-friendly compared to the Windows window-manager.

I thought some people here might find this an interesting read:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 02:20:31 -0400

> http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

Indeed.  However, the mistake he seems to make is the assumption that
speed is everything.  It isn't.

Personally, I have, detest and despise the Mac single-fixed-menubar
model with a consuming passion.  I want each application I have open to
own its own menubar, dammit.

Yes, Apple put lots of work into human interface design.  And the Mac
interace works great ...   IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.  If it DOESN'T work for
you, it's a steaming, fetid pile of rancid dingos' kidneys.  One size
does not fit all.

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked][email-masked][email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nicholas Paul Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 01:53:02 -0400 (EDT)

Though I generally opt for command line interfaces, especially due to 
lackings I find in GUIs, I found this to be very interesting, especially 
the "First Principles of Design" link within this page. Thanks.

-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Nicholas Paul Johnson
  o nickjohnson \at\ virginia \dot\ edu
  o 3ebf10a7 subkeys.pgp.net
  o http://manjac.ath.cx/nick
  o "When all you've got is a hammer,
    everything looks like a nail.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---

From: Piotr Zielinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 14:09:19 +0100

Scott> I thought some people here might find this an interesting read:
Scott> http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

Excellent, thanks.  Will be very useful in my personal quest for the
most efficient .fvwm2rc on the planet ;-) The only drawback in what
I've read so far (I haven't read the "first principles" yet), is that
they don't talk about keyboard support at all.

Piotr

---

From: Shay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:48:25 -0500

>http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html
Some of that was just silly. For instance, Microsoft hierarchical menus 
do *not* require a user "slide across just right" to move from a 
first-level to a second-level menu as stated in question 6. Microsoft 
menus are on an appear/disappear delay, just like FVWM's.

I like these types of articles when written well, but it's IMO getting 
old seeing Mac people explain why they don't need configurability and 
virtual workspaces to be better than those interfaces that do. I could 
pretend that how I use my computer is appropriate for everyone and make 
a thousand word case for why mouse focus and virtual desktops are better 
than everything. I could make an equally good case for ball peen hammers 
or 16lb bowling balls or spread-bore carburetors. Luckily we FVWM users 
all have choice.

"Magic pixels", autohiding, and large buttons can all be useful, but a 
better article would be one which at least mentions the "trade-offs" 
necessary to acheive these things.

 -Shay