Subject: FVWM: Usage of FvwmEvent.

From: ddtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:55:36 +0200

Hello,

I want to configure fvwm so that new windows would be
automatically maximized.

Obviously, the way to achieve this is by using the FvwmEvent module.
I tried to put the following in .fvwm2rc:

Module FvwmEvent
*FvwmEvent: map Maximize

but it doesn't works.

Why is that, and what can I do to get the desired effect?

ddtl.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:24:31 +0000

On 18 May 2004 19:55:36 +0200, ddtl wrote:
> Why is that,

What is your fvwm version and full FvwmEvent config?

> and what can I do to get the desired effect?

This is answered in FAQ #3.18.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: ddtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:15:56 +0200

> What is your fvwm version and full FvwmEvent config?

I use fvwm 2.5.10 (from Debian unstable), .fvwm2rc is at
the end of the post (without menu definitions & key bindings,
as they are not important)

> This is answered in FAQ #3.18.

Unfortunately an examples from FAQ don't work (though I have to
admit that I didn't look at the FAQ before posting, my fault):

I copy-pasted the last two examples (for versions 2.3.21 to 2.4.15
and for 2.5.7+ and 2.4.16+) into .fvwm2rc and restarted fvwm,
but didn't get the advertized effect (i.e., pointer wrapping to
the newly created windows.)

Here is my config file (after reading FAQ i have changed
a couple of things in FvwmEvent, and included both "map" and
"add_window" events, but still it doesn't work):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DeskTopSize 1x1

IgnoreModifiers L25

DefaultFont "-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-*"

Style * ClickToFocus, BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4, NoIcon

MenuStyle * PopupImmediately, PopdownImmediately, PopupOffset 0 100,\
	    SeparatorsLong, TrianglesSolid

DestroyFunc WindowListFunc
AddToFunc WindowListFunc
+ I Iconify off
+ I FlipFocus
+ I Raise

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent*
*FvwmEvent: map Maximize
*FvwmEvent: add-window Maximize

DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmEvent

-------------------------------------------------------------------

ddtl.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:58:55 +0000

> as they are not important)

I can't reproduce any problem, both "map" and "add_window" work for me.

> the newly created windows.)

Maybe you had a copy/paste problem. Try to copy line by line
(without leading spaces and trailing end of lines) into FvwmConsole.
Remove "AddToFunc StartFunction I " bit if you paste into FvwmConsole.

Both examples work perfectly for me.

> *FvwmEvent: add-window Maximize

It is "add_window" in both FAQ and man page, not "add-window".
Other than this, the window is maximized several times for me,
because new windows get one add_window event and two map events.

Regards,
Mikhael.