Subject: FVWM: Vector button decorations

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:32:48 +0200

Hello,

2 quick questions:

1) Is  it more powerfull  to use vector  buttons instead of XPM/PNG  ? I
   mean what is best not to waste cycles ?

2) How can I produce my  own window decorations (ie. buttons) ? Is there
   any tool that can graphically show  me what I am typing (what vectors
   look like) ?

Thank you

Xavier
-- 
Hito no kokoro wa kawareru mono

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:54:48 -0400

>    mean what is best not to waste cycles ?

Probably vectors are faster than xpm/png.
I've used windows with 5 xpm's per window, plus xpm's tiled on the
borders on very slow machines with no noticable slowdown.

>    any tool that can graphically show  me what I am typing (what vectors

There was a tool like that at this address:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvanr/eps2vector.pl

but the web site has disappeared.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:07:52 +0100

>    mean what is best not to waste cycles ?

Well, they are both powerful, I use a background pixmap with alpha blending
and vectors stacked on top to draw the button emblems. The major advantage
of vectors (imho) is that they use Colorsets, so changing a window's
colorset updates the vectors to match.

In my experience, vectors are faster than using pixmaps for buttons, but i
dont have any stats to back that up :)

>    any tool that can graphically show  me what I am typing (what vectors

It's not too hard to write them (it is difficult at first, but it gets
easier), I think theres a perl script somewhere that can convert xfig
graphics into vectors, i think it's called eps2vector.

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:32:11 +0000

> but the web site has disappeared.

I have this script on my local disk. It is here:

  http://fvwm-themes.sf.net/tmp/eps2vector.pl

Regards,
Mikhael.