Subject: FVWM: Menus - More functionality

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:24:17 -0600

Hello,

I've been messing with setting up my menu and am mainly courious
what sort of plans for more functaionality will be added to them.

First let me explain what I'm trying to do, I'd like to have some script
similar to fvwm-menu-directory go though my mp3 dir and then add
two actions to each mp3 file, I'd like Mouse 1 to play the mp3 (or mp3
dir) and Mouse 2 to enque the mp3 into xmms. So I would like to bind
different actions in the Menu based upon the button hit.

In looking to see if this is possible I found the following:

1) From the mailing list archives for [email-masked]:
http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0203/msg00508.html

I really liked this idea of adding a new command to help
with customizing the menu, The basic idea was to keep the
format of 'AddToMenu' the same (for backwards compadibility)
but then add a new command 'AddMenuItems'. This command would
allow you to add (I)tems to the menu and then add (P)roperties
and (A)ctions to that item that could then be effected by the
mouse and or key pressed in the menu.

I've talked to a few people in #fvwm on irc.freenode.net and they all
think the idea is good along with the above thread has mostly positive
comments about it, so I'm courious what ever happend to this idea
and would it be possible to put something like this in there
(or is there something different in the working)

2) Taviso (from #fvwm) said that there is an option in the works
to allow biddings to work inside of windows, (something like)
'Mouse 1 Menu A FvwmFunction'. Now this does look good, but I would
have to write up a little function for it based of the menu item
clicked on to get the desired effect, as it is more a global binding
instead of a binding per item (like above)

3) Another solution which would require the least work from my
point of view would be to extend the options in a standard function.
Right now all I see is '+ I', '+ D', '+ M' and '+ H' as the optoins.
If you added a few more of these say '+ mX' that would mean
do this action if 'mouse button X' was the event then I could
make a function for my purpose, say something like

AddToFunc FvwmPlayXmms
+ m1 <play $0 in xmms>
+ m2 <enque $0 in xmms>

On another note there is one more issue I am having with my menu.
I have it set to 'Hiligh3DOff' which is what I want as I don't want
a hilighted border around my selction (just the text color to change)
This works well except that now if I have a big icon (say a thumbnail
for my wallpaper dir), the Hilight3DThickness was what gave a spacing of
X pixles between the icons (thumbnails), so for my Thumbnails they
all run into eachother (there is no spacing between them). The only
possible things I could find would be to add the MenuStyles
'VerticalItemSpacing X Y' and 'VerticalTitleSpacing X Y' which will add
some virtical spacing between my items (what I want), but from
experimenting with this, the numbers X Y are the spacing above and below
the item based off of the 'text size' and don't take the icon into
account, so to get this to work I have to make X and Y quite large so it
adds the right amount of space to above and below the icons, which makes
it so the places I have smaller icons are still spaced far apart.
My question is am I using this option wrong, or could another optoin be
added to the mix, say 'VirticalIconSpacing X Y' which would put spacing
above and below the icon size on the menu to allow for what I want.

Thank you for your time
jaimos

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].