Subject: Re: FVWM: Usage of FvwmEvent.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:31:41 +0200

> 
> Yes, I did. Copy-paste the following lines into FvwmConsole. They should
> work for 2.5.10.
>
> DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent*
> *FvwmEvent: add_window Maximize
> KillModule FvwmEvent
> FvwmEvent
> 

Still no go.
 
> Is it possible you just destroy StartFunction later in your config?
> Are you sure you don't run an incorrect fvwm executable?
> 

No, I don't destroy it - actually, I have added StartFunction function 
to the config file only for the sake of FvwmEvent module.

Also, when I run FvwmConsole (I have a shortcut key for that purpose)
it says Fvwm 2.5.10, so it seems that it is a correct executable.

> I don't think Debian package may somehow break this.
>

Maybe Debian's patch modifies something - it (the patch) is quite
large (200 Kb), and though I couldn't find that it modifies
the code itself, maybe some settings were affected.
After all, there should be some reason for that behavior.

ddtl.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:44:18 +0000

> the code itself, maybe some settings were affected.

Well, this is pretty easy to verify. Download and unpack the sources and
issue these 2 commands, "./configure --prefix /tmp/fvwm; make install".
Then type in FvwmConsole: Restart /tmp/fvwm/bin/fvwm    # -f /dev/null

I see no way for FvwmEvent not to work unless you have a limit on number
of processes or something weird and unlikely like this.

Other tips to try is to watch X output stream for errors, remove
ModulePath (which you say you don't have), setup other events like:
*FvwmEvent: raise_window Echo "raise window"

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: ddtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:48:09 +0200

> Then type in FvwmConsole: Restart /tmp/fvwm/bin/fvwm    # -f /dev/null

Well, strange things happen... I compiled/installed fvwm as you have
said, ran "/tmp/fvwm/bin/fvwm --replace" (from xterm), and everything
started working as it should. But then, I killed X, removed /tmp/fvwm
and restarted X, being sure that I have found a bug (in the package), but
to my amazement everything *still* continued to work (before running
newly compiled fvwm, FvwmEvent didn't work, and I didn't touch
any config files).

I thought that maybe somehow the old fvwm/FvwmEvent were overwritten
in the process, but no, "ls -l" shows that it is not the case.

I am curious what could have caused it - in order to compile fvwm
I had to install a lot of new packages, so maybe it has to do something
with that - does fvwm exectuable/FvwmEvent module have some external
dependencies which, if lacking, won't prevent them from running, but
will cause some features not to work?

Don't know what/whether to report it to the maintainer of the package.

ddtl.

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:31:14 -0500

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:48:09 +0200, ddtl  <[email-masked]> said: 

> I am curious what could have caused it - in order to compile fvwm I
> had to install a lot of new packages, so maybe it has to do
> something with that - does fvwm exectuable/FvwmEvent module have
> some external dependencies which, if lacking, won't prevent them
> from running, but will cause some features not to work?

> Don't know what/whether to report it to the maintainer of the

	I am watching.  I can't reproduce this.

	manoj

-- 
If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but
tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very
expensive machine, is somehow enobled and no-one dare criticise
it. Pierre Gallois
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
1024R/C7261095 print CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: ddtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:55:34 +0200

> 	I am watching.  I can't reproduce this.

Maybe it is possible to reproduce the problem by installing
the minimal Debian system (from stable distribution) and then
using apt-get to install fvwm from unstable, so that only minimal
dependencies for fvwm would be met - that is what I did.
By minimal I mean only enough packages to reboot successfully.

But in order to do this, there is a need to reformat a HD
to get a clean slate, and having only one HD to experiment
on, and as I already spent a lot of time customizing my system
I don't really want to do this.

Anyway, if nobody else had reported the problem it is
probably not worth the effort.

ddtl.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:57:16 +0100

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:55:34 +0200

> probably not worth the effort.

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with the debian package, and I use
FvwmEvent extensively.

Furthermore, your ideas for re-installing are a bit rash. if it _is_
just a case of wanting to install the base-system, just create a chroot
jail for it.

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.