Subject: FVWM: xinerama, but disjoint virtual desktops :)

From: Nicholas Paul Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy,

First of all, the prerequisite praise of fvwm:  I love this window manager
:)

Now, I've reached a hurdle, which is xinerama.  I've successfully set up
xfree86 to use two monitors (of different resolutions and bit-depths), and
I'm allowing fvwm to do its default behaviour, i.e.  separate instances of
fvwm on each.

But now, except that the mouse can transcend physical monitor boundaries
and that there is one clipboard for all monitors, windows are stuck on
whichever monitor they start on, and I cannot alt-tab between monitors.

I would like there to be one instance of fvwm for both physical monitors,
such that I can drag windows between monitors.  However, I would like the
two monitors to page separately.

In other words, I would like to allow the situation in which my first
monitor is on virtual desktop x, while the my second monitor is on virtual
desktop y.  I would, of course, also like to allow the situation in which
my first monitor is on virtual desktop x, and my second monitor is on
virtual desktop x (while the two monitors still show a disjoint part of 
virtual desktop x).

Is this possible?  If so how?  Multiple copies of fvwmpager?

Thanks,
- -- 
Nicholas Paul Johnson
[email-masked]
http://manjac.ath.cx/nick
 _
( ) ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail 
 X                        - against microsoft attachments
/ \ http://www.google.com/search?q=ascii+ribbon
- --

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Athanasius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:31:32 +0100

> Is this possible?  If so how?  Multiple copies of fvwmpager?

  Apparently not, I asked this question only a few days ago :(.

-Ath
-- 
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key
	   "And it's me who is my enemy. Me who beats me up.
Me who makes the monsters. Me who strips my confidence." Paula Cole - ME

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:37:44 +0200

> two monitors to page separately.

Actually, you are *not* running Xinerama.  The whole point of
Xinerama is to treat all video screens as a single big screen.
Applications do not even notice different screens.  Multiple fvwms
can not run on a single Xinerama root window, so you must have a
conventional multi-head X setup.

You have to check your X setup and change it so that is uses
Xinerama.

> Is this possible?  If so how?  Multiple copies of fvwmpager?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^