Subject: FVWM: reining in an ill-behaved application

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:38:59 -0700 (PDT)

I have got an application which acts as if it is able to somehow
ignore the window manager.

* Its windows are always on top of everything else, and are
  effectively sticky (in that they are always present, even
  if I move to a different page).

* When I move the mouse into one of them (so that it gets focus,
  and its border highlights) the border of the previously-focused
  normal window remains highlighted even though keystrokes are
  going to the usurper.

* If I run FvwmIdent and click in one of this application's windows,
  FvwmIdent exits without producing its usual window, as if I had
  clicked on the root window.

* Their decorations are a bit different.  Their frames appear to
  be a pixel or two wider, and they have fewer buttons.  Also, the
  leftmost button's menu provides different options.

Is there any way to make such an application behave itself, without
hacking on the application itself?  I think it was originally a
Windoze application, ported to Solaris with MainWin, however I've
used other MainWin apps which did not behave this way so don't know
if that is a factor.  DISPLAY is a Red Hat 9 system, with:

  FVWM version 2.4.16 compiled on Aug 12 2003 at 11:32:21
  with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Xinerama
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:20:06 -0400

Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]> writes:
> I think it was originally a
> Windoze application, ported to Solaris with MainWin,

Check question 5.14 in the FAQ:

http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#toc_5.14

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]