Subject: FVWM: am I in the right place ?

From: Bernard Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:56:39 +0100

Hi

  everybody seems very competent on this list.

  Can I ask simple questions about using fvwm, or am I on the wrong
list ?

Bernard

-- 
         Non aux Brevets Logiciels  -  No to Software Patents
           SIGNEZ    http://petition.eurolinux.org/    SIGN

[email-masked]             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 1 3963 5469
            INRIA / B.P. 105 / 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX / France
         Je n'exprime que mon opinion - I express only my opinion
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:48:51 +0000 (GMT)

>   Can I ask simple questions about using fvwm, or am I on the wrong

You're on the correct list. Ask away.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bernard Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:18:54 +0100

> You're on the correct list. Ask away.

Well, thanks.  Actually I have been a happy user of FVWM for years,
though I never became expert at configuring.  I just do simple stuff.

I would like to combine it with KDE or Gnome (actually I am a bit more
at ease with KDE), but
  - I do not know how
  - I want to be able to preserve the ability to iconify tasks on the
desk (one feature of FVWM i cannot do without) rather than use task
bars which I find extremely uncomfortable.
   I am actually rather surprised that FVWM seem to be the only WM to
do it nicely, and flexibly.

  Is that possible. Where can I find the info, to do it easily.  I am
currently installing Mandrake 9.2 on a new machine.

Thanks for any help.

Bernard

PS
   is there a readable paper on the architectural issues between X11,
the window managers, and desktops like KDE and Gnome.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:28:34 +0100

> I would like to combine it with KDE or Gnome (actually I am a bit more

There is something in the FAQ about Gnome integration, but I never
tried it myself.

> do it nicely, and flexibly.

Look for the styles Icon, IconTiTle, IconBox etc. in the man page.
Basically, you define icon images for your applications and
specify an area on the desk where icons should be displayed.  For
example:

  Style ** default_icon.xpm
  #     ^^
  # Note: The ** style provides a default icon here to use when no
  #       other icon was provided.  For all other style options,
  #       ** is the same as *.
  Style xterm terminal_icon.png
  ...
  Style * IconBox 781x64-0-0, icongrid 1 1

> the window managers, and desktops like KDE and Gnome.

None that I know of.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:02:40 +0100

>>I would like to combine it with KDE or Gnome (actually I am a bit more

I did try fvwm together with gnome2:

Start gnome-session as usual. Then kill the running window-manager 
("killall metacity" should work, if it is the default-window-manager). 
Then start "fvwm &" (at the moment I am not sure, if a parameter is 
required (one of -r or -s ?). When exiting gnome save the 
session-information, so fvwm will be started the next time again.

Maybe this works by using the configuration-GUI somehow. When I tried, I 
could not find a working way to configure the window-manager.

There is one small issue: When gnome-session is started and fvwm is 
used, the splash-screen does not disappear automatically. You need to 
click on it. I do not know if this has some drawbacks.

Ciao,

Gert

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:17:00 +0000 (GMT)

> There is something in the FAQ about Gnome integration, but I never

Umm, you might find the following URL of note?

http://linuxgazette.net/100/adam.html

-- Thomas Adam

=====