Subject: FVWM: (Too) big icons in menu.

From: "Fabio S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:30:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

I have a small but somewhat annoying problem: I have fvwm 2.5.4 and I  
include in my menu mandrake menu. For this, I use the output of the 
command update-menus which, provided /etc/menu-methods/fvwm2 exists, 
outputs mandrake menu in fvwm format onto the file /etc/X11/fvwm2/menu
Then I read it in my systemrc with

Read /etc/X11/fvwm2/menu
AddToMenu Utilities 
+ "Menu' Mandkake %/usr/share/icons/mini/applications_section.png%" Popup 
RootMenu

Everything works fine. The problem is that some item in the imported menu 
get an enormous icon (at least 64x64, I guess), which makes the menu 
really ugly. Yet, under kde the menu looks fine.

Does anybody have any idea about the cause of this and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot

Fabio

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:41:53 +0000

> Does anybody have any idea about the cause of this and how to fix it?

If I understand you correctly, /etc/X11/fvwm2/menu coming with Mandrake
uses huge icons in RootMenu menu. You may either redefine RootMenu menu
manually to use smaller icons, or submit a bug report to Mandrake folks.
It is also possible that you just have incorrect ImagePath.

Another thing you may do is to use the menu created by fvwm-themes for
Mandrake using update-menus mechanism. Just install and start fvwm-themes
to verify you get a good system menu (play with settings in the menu).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Fabio Stumbo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:35:41 +0100 (CET)

> to verify you get a good system menu (play with settings in the menu).

Actually, if I got it right, things are a little different: mandrake uses 
a hack of debian menu system and  the file /etc/X11/fvwm2/menu is created 
by update-menus everytime a freshly installed rpm calls it within its 
postin script.

Moreover, I am starting to realize that probably the problem is caused by 
the persons who package the programs. Take for example manedit: it is an 
item which in my menu gets a big icon. Now, in /etc/X11/fvmw2/menu I have 
the entry

+ "&ManEdit%/usr/share/icons/mini/manedit.png%" Exec    /usr/bin/manedit

which is correct. On the other hand, have a look at this output:

[18:30:15]$ identify /usr/share/icons/mini/manedit.png 
/usr/share/icons/mini/manedit.png PNG 48x48 DirectClass 8-bit 4226b 0.0u 0:01
[18:30:16]$ identify /usr/share/icons/large/manedit.png 
/usr/share/icons/large/manedit.png PNG 16x16 DirectClass 8-bit 697b 0.0u 0:01

It looks like the packager inverted the two icons!!! If it is like so, I 
fear there is no way out from here.
Yet one question still remain: why in kde the menu nevertheless looks 
right and why fvwm2 is not able to behave the same way?

Fabio

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:56:36 -0500

> right and why fvwm2 is not able to behave the same way?

It is possible that kde resizes the icon.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]