Subject: Re: FVWM: desktop snapshot

From: "George \"Nephrite\" Potapov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:48:59 +0300

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 05:12:22PM +0100, Nuno Alexandre wrote:

> This is how my usual desktop looks like. 
> I use Fvwm version 2.5.8, the FvwmPager with 4 desktops at a relative
> good size which gives me a fast overview of where is what I'm looking
> for, and the little icons looks nice too.
> The miniature windows on the bottom left are minimized applications.

How do you make mini screenshot icons? I know the principle how to make
them but lack a program to take window screenshots. xwd files has strange
format which xv doesn't process correctly and other screenshot takers requre
user to click on a window which is not acceptable.

And yes I searched freshmeat and google for such programs and found nothing.

> Again for a nice overview where my applications are and i can find them
> fast. looks great also with the transparency ;)
> The menu is semi transparent and i added some 32bit true color icons for
> the eye candy.
> The terminal is aterm.

-- 
George 'Nephrite' Potapov
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:19:21 +0100

> user to click on a window which is not acceptable.
I guess they use ImageMagick --> (convert) .. or
something like this:

from taviso:

,---- http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/fvwm2rc.html
| DestroyFunc Thumbnail
| AddToFunc Thumbnail
| + I Raise
| + I SetEnv Icon-$[w.id] $[w.iconfile]
| + I ThisWindow (!Shaded Iconifiable !Iconic) PipeRead \
|     "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] | convert -scale $[fvwm_icon_size] -frame 1x1 \
|     -mattecolor black -quality 0 xwd:- png:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
|     && echo WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
|     || echo Nop"
| + I TestRc (Match) Test (f $[HOME]/icons/$[w.miniiconfile]) PipeRead "composite -geometry +2+4 \
|     $[HOME]/icons/$[w.miniiconfile] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
|     $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png && echo Nop \
|     || echo Beep"
| + I Iconify,
`----

Greetings
marco

-- 
  calmar 
           (o_         GNU/Linux is GREAT      
           //\                 
           V_/_        http://www.calmar.ws

---

From: Stephen R Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:34:05 -0500

Anyone else think it would be cool to use something like this in
conjunction with FvwmEvent to modify pager icons?  Or has anyone already
done this?

I only ask because I think I lack the understanding to do it (atm).
I think it's possible... guess I'll find out.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:43:33 +0000

> I think it's possible... guess I'll find out.

If you update WindowStyle MiniIcon, then this is theoretically possible
(the parent subject modified Icon). However this also affects the
MiniIcon titlebar button if you have one (you definitelly want to use
dimentions larger than 16x16, such large icon is useless for titlebar).
This also requires a lot of CPU, because unlike iconified windows, you
want to capture the current image constantly, not just on iconification.
There is no good solution to solve these 2 problems. Other than this, it
may work.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Stephen R Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:01:00 -0500

Is there a way of updating a style based on windowid?  With my current
setup, it seems that all my xterms would be using the same image (based
on window title) (oh, and assuming that my current setup works :) 

Right now I have FvwmEvent calling a function that calls a shell script
to produce the icon based on the window id and title (passing just the
action and window id into the script as arguments)  Later I'm planning
on just replacing my Exec exec with a PipeRead and making the script
output Style commands.

I was thinking about the cpu usage, and figured if I just capture the
add_window event that it might not be too bad. (and the corresponding
destroy window - but this is still hindered by the non-unique nature of
addressing windows by title in the style commands)

And thanks for the MiniIcon hint, I was trying to figure out a way to
not update the Icon itself.

--s.r.d.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:07:10 +0000

> on window title) (oh, and assuming that my current setup works :) 

Did you read the message you replied to? It contains the code that you
may want to reuse in some or another way (just replace "Icon" with
"MiniIcon"). You need fvwm 2.5.x.

P.S. Please place reply below the cleaned up quotes.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:27:42 +0000

On 01 Mar 2004 11:59:42 -0500, Stephen R Dennison wrote:
> 
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 11:07, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> After staring at the man page for about another 20 minutes, the text
> "selected window" under WindowStyle finally clicked.  The only problem
> is that I don't have a window selected, and I haven't figured out a way
> to do it syntactically.

Just like you select a window for Raise, Iconify, Maximize and any other
window operation. Use the commands that set a window context, for example:

  Next (XTerm) Iconify
  Next (XTerm) WindowStyle MiniIcon new.png

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:55:30 +0000

>   Next (XTerm) WindowStyle MiniIcon new.png

I forgot to mention that since you are going to use FvwmEvent, the window
context is already automatically set in newer 2.4 and 2.5 versions, so
just use Iconify or WindowStyle directly in all window related events
such like add_window. You also get the window context for free in
window/decoration bindings. As well as in WindowListFunc.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "George \"Nephrite\" Potapov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:40:04 +0300

> I guess they use ImageMagick --> (convert) .. or

Cool. That worked. Thanks.
I had some problems installing ImageMagick though... This port in FreeBSD
was broken for some time.

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:04:38 +0000

> I think it's possible... guess I'll find out.

I decided to make this my project for today :)

I have a basic working solution, it's far from perfect, but I think it can be
improved, you may find this solution funny :)

Screenshot: http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/screenshots/screenshotpager.png

Basically I have a RootTransparent pager, then update the wallpaper
behind it! I use FvwmBacker to take new shots, so it's updated when you
change pages...there is probably a better way.

Here is what I have so far, any suggestions welcome :)

http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/screenshotpager.html

I start the screenshots with Next (FvwmPager, CirculateHit) InitScreenShotPager

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].