Subject: FVWM: toolbar configuration

From: Nuno Alexandre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:07:31 +0100

Hi,
I was thinking about doing a tool-bar, but this is way to difficult, and
even thought Ive spent some hours on this today and didn't made any
progress and I'm giving up.
But before i put a heavy stone on this matter, I would like to ask if
anyone have done such thing and would be kind to let me have a
look at the con-fig file.
I have made a mock up on TheGimp, to what I was trying to achieve.
http://ikaro.homepage.dk/after.jpg

a simple toolbar which can have the minimized applications, the pager
and a clock.

I have seen that in the fvwm-themes package some themes do this very
well, for example the RedmondXP but Its very difficult for me to
make any sense of any of the config files to try to port it on my fvwm
config.

I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks.

-- 
Best regards - Nuno Alexandre - <na:fluxmod.dk>
http://www.fluxmod.dk
-----------------------------------------------/

---

From: Ukpong Ukpong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:30:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Nuno Alexandre wrote:

Is This not simply the case of using fvwm buttons and swalllowing the 
application inside the buttons ie the pager. I know that you can swallow 
pager in a button...

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Catherine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:39:36 -0800

> I hope anyone can help me.

Are you talking about this? 
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~artursc/fvwm/xp.png

This is the configuration I use...

I have screenshots too, but they are not really up to date:
http://home.comcast.net/~luedchic/current.png
http://queentux.com/screenshot1.png

I am in the process of chaning some of my themes.  Since I use gdesklets
starterbar (because you just cant do the same with FvwmButtons) to
launch my applications and even quit fvwm, I may not use the FvwmButtons
taskbar config.

I hope this helps.  Oh and they person I got this from was on this
list...not sure if he is still around but you can download all of his
graphics and configs from his site,
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~artursc/fvwm

---

From: Nuno Alexandre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:22:34 +0100

> This is the configuration I use...
----8<-----

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the replies, Taviso helped me with this :)
actually he was so kind to send me a working example of a toolbar.
Which I appreciate very much.
I have put a snapshot online of the result:

http://ikaro.homepage.dk/fvwm/images/toolbar.jpg

Cya.

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:44:05 -0500

> I have put a snapshot online of the result:

Speaking of toolbars ....  my wife is really strongly tempted to move
back to fvwm from Windowmaker, but doesn't want to give up her
Windowmaker dockapps.  I understand it should be possible to emulate the
WindowMaker dock using FvwmButtons, but she can't make it work and I
don't have any dockapps to swallow into it.  

Does anyone have an example FvwmButtons configuration to emulate the
WindowMaker dock?

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked][email-masked][email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nuno Alexandre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:05:56 +0100

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:44:05 -0500 
Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Windowmaker dockapps.  I understand it should be possible to emulate
> the WindowMaker dock using FvwmButtons, but she can't make it work and
> I don't have any dockapps to swallow into it.  
> 

Taviso have a good example at his website 
dev.gentoo.org/~taviso

Maybe it can help you :>

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:22:48 +0100

Hi there,

> http://ikaro.homepage.dk/fvwm/images/toolbar.jpg

Very nice shot. I would like to put this shot on the fvwm
website together with configs and images so that other users
might be able to achieve the same. Would you like to share
your config and images?

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise your mail is discarded by a filter.
=-"-"-= http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nuno Alexandre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:20:56 +0100

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:22:48 +0100 

> might be able to achieve the same. Would you like to share

Hi Uwe :>
Thats ok with me, im glad that people find my n00bi configs interesting.
My configs && images are online on my 'fvwm' page;
http://ikaro.homepage.dk/fvwm
I just uploaded the images now.

I will update the site with more stuff hen i change the desktop again.
unfortunately i only have 10mb on my isp ... :/

I have received many, many, requests both via email and on irc from
people who like the icons I use on the Rox-Filer and the Root menu, to
send them the icons.
I don't have authorization from the icons authors to distribute them.
So im affraid i cant put the icons online, however everyone can download
them here: http://www.iconfactory.com/ware.asp and convert them from the
mac formats( sit && hqx ) to png, or just use the ones in *ico and
convert to png format :)

Some years ago i converted several icon collections of about ~ 900
Hi-resolution icons and shared them online ... I only got problems from
that, so i won't do that again.

Cheers :>

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:53:02 +0100

Hi there,

> http://ikaro.homepage.dk/fvwm

My mistake, I have added one your screenshots and a link to
your page already :-)

> http://www.iconfactory.com/ware.asp

Nice icon collection, I am going to check this site and add
it to the link list on the fvwm link page.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Catherine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:42:22 -0800

> that, so i won't do that again.

I must tell you that you have inspired me to try Rox again.  One thing
that I didnt like about it was I did not like the icons....I must have
eye candy at all times. And I had even tried a new file manager called
the Claw (which is very slow compared to Rox, but better looking by
default) 

Been working on my own fvwm configuration lately and have a new red
theme, but it may be too red now.  I can't say that I actually offer
anything in the area of originality as I have stolen...er I mean
borrowed my most advanced features from Tavis O. (he's pretty great)

Also thanks for the tutorial on changing/making Rox filer themes. 
Something else to spend my days with.

Cat