Subject: FVWM: multiple visuals?

From: Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:45:35 -0800 (PST)

I dont suppose fvwm can have different visuals on different desks.

Would be nice to have a pseudocolor desk and a truecolor desk, so while
on a desk i dont get the lightning storm colormap switching (8 bit card)
going between application and fvwm (eg hungry apps would be truecolor on
truecolor desk).

Also would like to get rid of the xbell caused by holding down a mouse
button too long (eg while scrolling).  Anyone know which xbell call it is?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:09:32 -0800

> going between application and fvwm (eg hungry apps would be truecolor on

Don't suppose - but it's possible to use VNC for that purpose.  I like 
to run fvwm at work, but unfortunately I "should" be using CDE because 
that's what our customers use on Solaris/HP/AIX.  So I sometimes start a 
VNC server with a smaller screensize and bit-depth than my FVWM desktop, 
and test Unix apps there.  On Linux, Gnome doesn't like to run two 
instances in one user directory, but I think if you're not running Gnome 
that's not a problem?  (Don't know, when I'm running double like that on 
Linux, I usually run KDE in the second desktop, again for test purposes.)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dorothy Robinson
http://www.twobarleycorns.net
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:43:28 +1100

: >I dont suppose fvwm can have different visuals on different desks.
: >
: >Would be nice to have a pseudocolor desk and a truecolor desk, so while
: >on a desk i dont get the lightning storm colormap switching (8 bit card)
: >going between application and fvwm (eg hungry apps would be truecolor on
: >truecolor desk).
: 
: Don't suppose - but it's possible to use VNC for that purpose.  I like 
: to run fvwm at work, but unfortunately I "should" be using CDE because 
: that's what our customers use on Solaris/HP/AIX.  So I sometimes start a 
: VNC server with a smaller screensize and bit-depth than my FVWM desktop, 

Xnest should work.

Try something like:

Xnest :1 -ac -depth 16 &
rxvt -display :1 &
fvwm & (in rxvt window)

SCoTT. :)