Subject: FVWM: Two Xservers - two fvwms

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:18:01 +0100

Hi there,

I have got a funny setup at work. I have got a box with  two
graphic  cards.  Each  graphic  card  is  handled by its own
Xserver.  For  each  Xserver  there  is  one  fvwm  instance
running.  There are two monitors as well. Switching from one
screen to the other is done by moving the mouse pointer. 

But currently there is no way to define  a  key  binding  to
switch  to the other screen. Today I say that xemacs pops up
a window on the other screen. This was since I have  gnuserv
running  which runs once for the two screens. While this the
focus switched to the other screen while the  mouse  pointer
remained on the other one. 

Seeing this I wondered if fvwm can do the same. It would  be
sufficient  if  the  focus  switches  from one screen to the
other so that I don't need to do that with the mouse.  Maybe
the two fvwms can communicate with each other. Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive your mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:11:27 +0100

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:18:01AM +0100, Uwe Pross wrote:
> switch  to the other screen.

You can use the WarpToWindow command and specify the other
screen's root window.

> Today I say that xemacs pops up
> other so that I don't need to do that with the mouse.

Hm, the problem is to detect that the focus has left the screen.
I think you'd need some code change.  I can't think of a way to
distinguish that from no window having the focus at the moment.

> Maybe the two fvwms can communicate with each other. Any ideas? 

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:30:28 +0100

Hi there,

> You can use the WarpToWindow command and specify the other

Of course, it is even in the man page :-| 
I thought this is impossible since there are two separate 
fvwms.

This one does exactly I was looking for:

Key     Left    A       S4      WindowId root 1 WarpToWindow 50 50 
Key     Right   A       S4      WindowId root 0 WarpToWindow 50 50

Thank you very much for the hint - I should have asked
ealier ;-)

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:52:49 +0100

> Key     Right   A       S4      WindowId root 0 WarpToWindow 50 50

That's exactly what I wrote that feature of WarpToWindow for :-)

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^