Subject: FVWM: BackingStore-ish issue

From: James Pacyga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:37:03 -0500

Hello All,

I'm new to the mailing list, so please excuse me and let me know if I'm
breaching protocol for this list or doing anything incorrectly.

I am maintaining a Linux (Slackware 8.1) application in X (XFree86 v
4.2) using the fvwm2 window manager (v2.4.7).  This application
creates windows that are hidden when created, but exposed after they
are initially drawn upon.  I am having "BackingStore-ish" problems
with these windows using this version of fvwm2.

Using an earlier verson of fvwm2 (v2.2.5), there are no problems with
the application.  The windows are created, drawn upon, exposed, and
the initial drawing is retained.  However with the new version
(v2.4.7) the original drawing is not retained.  However, I can still
draw on the window once it is exposed.

I've tried the following configuration options in X and fvwm2:

- "Option 'BackingStore'" is enabled in my XF86Config.

- "Style '*' BackingStore, SaveUnder" is in my .fvwm2rc file.

I've also tried a newer version of fvwm2 (v2.4.16) and that does not
work either.  I'd like to use the new version of fvwm2 (>= 2.4.7) if I
can figure this issue out.  Can anyone lend me a hand?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:53:00 +0200

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:37:03PM -0500, James Pacyga wrote:
> 4.2) using the fvwm2 window manager (v2.4.7).

Which application is that?  Anything I can try myself?

>  This application

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:08:59 +0200

> draw on the window once it is exposed.

Since 2.3.something, BackingStore is disabled by default.  It
looks like I missed something in the code that enables it if the
BackingStore style is used.

> can figure this issue out.  Can anyone lend me a hand?

Okay, I committed a patch that might help to CVS.  Can you try out
the latest CVS code or tomorrow's CVS snapshot please?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^