Subject: FVWM: customizable .. very much at fvwm.org, how about?

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:22:19 +0100

Hi all,

actually I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, but I think
one of the most describing featuers about FVWM is not only that
it's extremely powerful, but also that it is extremely customizalbe.

Actually would it be a good idea to add this `and extremely
custumizable' after the extremely powerful there:
http://www.fvwm.org

ok in this case there are two `extremely' words shot after each
other, that would not be a good idea, but to mention that's its
really very much customizalbe..?

Anyway ..Greetings....
marco candrian

-- 
  calmar 
           (o_         GNU/Linux is GREAT      
           //\                 
           V_/_        http://www.calmar.ws 
                                          
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:46:41 +0100 (CET)

> really very much customizalbe..?
How about "... extremly powerful and customizable"
or "... extremly powerful and flexible"

//Marcus

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:41:51 +0100

Hi there,

On 08 Mar 2004 at 06:46:41 +0100, Marcus Lundblad wrote:

> > actually I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, but
> > I think one of the most describing featuers about FVWM
> > is not only that it's extremely powerful, but also that
> > it is extremely customizalbe.  
> > ...
> >

I agree. IMO, the current "welcome" sentence on fvwm.org is
not very expressive.  Other WMs are powerful as well. Even
KDE is customizable ;-)

For me the most advantage of fvwm is its scripting
capatibily and the possibility of setups/configurations
which meet exactly the requirements. These are followed by
speed and memory consumption. Maybe we should try to express
that on the entry page.

BTW: An introducing (fancy) screenshot preview on the entry
     page would be nice as well. We could use a fixed one or
     the latest which has been added to the screenshot
     page. 

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive your mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:56:39 +0000 (GMT)

>      the latest which has been added to the screenshot

I like the page as it is. It is clean and easy to navigate. The reason why
I like it over other sites is that it is lynx/links clean -- something of
a rareity these days.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:33:51 +0100

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:56:39 +0000 (GMT)
Thomas Adam <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I like the page as it is. It is clean and easy to navigate.
yeah, that's my opinion too, but

maybe when someone tries out fvwm in it's default settings, he
won't be impressed. (The same, I was also reading at Suzanne
Skinners' site when I remember properly). So something what let's
him know, that there is MUCH do to with that default setup. That
he won't just check it out for 10 seconds, and leave then, because
the default setup is NOT impressive compared to other wm's,  It
looks not 'modern' at least IMO, and new users really can't see
the power, nor obviously will suspect what they could do with it.

Actually I like fvwm because I can build my very own setup + it
has about every feature (also eyecandy ones even) what others wm's
`are', or it's possible to implement it. That 'build your own wm'
aspect is important for me. You have all modules and possibilities
to make really great setups. Do others wm has these features too?
Well, even when they have, not all have, and maybe it would be a
good thing (assuming someone want to hook people to it) point out
that in some way.

So the really most impressive thing for me was when I was
exploring the 'fvwm-themes-start'. It was really very impressive
(shocking even) for me when I saw what can be done! (even so I
already decided to use fvwm at that time, and even so I don't use
the themes  really)

How about a little hint for newcomers (and they may check
especially the starting page) that they should try out
fvwm-themes-start when they want to explore fvwm, rather then fvwm
without any configuration?

... and all this in just a few words to keep it simple :)

Anyway, just my humble, maybe not good, ideas about that. (as a
newbie)

greetings...
marco candrian

> The reason why
OT:
I don't really know what are the requirements, but css sites
should often meet this. `good' looking for css capable browsers,
and still everything and readable for non css browsers.
(p.e http://www.narrenschiff.ch is such a css site, at the menu
entry `Bedingungen'it's also possible to turn off css -> displays
similar to how it displays in links/lynxs/w3m ..)
or do I miss the point here, Thomas?

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:06:52 +0100

Hi there,

On 08 Mar 2004 at 11:33:51 +0100, calmar wrote:

> maybe when someone tries out fvwm in it's default
> settings, he won't be impressed.
> ...

That's exactly my point. 

To recall an old discussion maybe we can provide a couple of
good sample fvwmrcs with the package and let the user use
them from the default setup:

AddToMenu FvwmDemo
+ "Transparency Demo" restart fvwm -f /some_demo1_fvwmrc
+ "Module Demo" restart fvwm -f /some_demo2_fvwmrc
...

The rcs could be preprocessed by some makefiles to meet
local settings like paths.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:58:19 -0800

calmar wrote:
...
> the default setup is NOT impressive compared to other wm's,  It

   yeah, it hides the real fvwm very well:-)

> `are', or it's possible to implement it. That 'build your own wm'

   I don't think you can do shaped titles/borders, all the borders are 
the same etc.

	erik