Subject: FVWM: FVWM configuration questions

From: "Mike Gibson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:46:22 -0600

1) Is it possible or will it be possible to have windows with rounded
corners?

2) With "*FvwnTaskBar: Button" is it possible to make these buttons
flat?

3) Is there a hack that will allow FvwmTaskBar to detect external mail?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:53:22 +0000 (GMT)

> 1) Is it possible or will it be possible to have windows with rounded

Not yet, probably in fvwm3
 
> 2) With "*FvwnTaskBar: Button" is it possible to make these buttons

I don't believe so.

> 3) Is there a hack that will allow FvwmTaskBar to detect external mail?

How do you mean? It'll detect any mail received to $USER. If you meant
web-based e-mail, you'd need something like yoSucker and procmail to
deliver it to $USER

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:04:02 +0000

> 1) Is it possible or will it be possible to have windows with rounded

I don't think it's possible for regular windows to be have rounded corners
at the moment, however you can make menus with rounded corners by
specifying a shape mask. The method for specifying a shape mask is generic
enough that i'm sure whoever implemented it planned for it to apply to more
than just menus one day :)

> 2) With "*FvwnTaskBar: Button" is it possible to make these buttons

Yes, set the sh and hi components of the colorset to the same colour, then
the relief looks like a border. This works best on the TaskBAr with the
3DFvwm setting.

> 3) Is there a hack that will allow FvwmTaskBar to detect external mail?

I don't think so, if it's a mbox on a remote machine maybe you can mount it
with sshfs? (assuming you use linux :)

---

From: "Mike Gibson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:18:48 -0600

Thanks Thomas and Tavis for the replies.

>the relief looks like a border. This works best on the TaskBAr with the

That's a great idea, but I had already thought of it. :) Unfortunatly I
don't know how to get rid of the separator line. I have tried it with
and without 3DFvwm and I saw no difference with my settings. One button
and it looks OK. Two or more buttons and it looks kind of silly to me.

http://www.ilstu.edu/~mrgibso/fvwmxp2.png 

I'm trying to emulate Windows XP to the best of my ability (Mom's asking
about going to Linux).

Here is what I have concerning the FvwmTaskBar:

Style "FvwmTaskBar"
NoTitle,Sticky,WindowListSkip,CirculateSkip,BorderWidth
2,NoHandles,TitleAtBottom

*FvwmTheme: Colorset 1 TiledPixmap top.xpm, fg white, sh blue, hi blue
*FvwmTheme: Colorset 2 bg darkblue, fg white, sh blue, hi blue

ModuleSynchronous Timeout 5 FvwmTheme

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTaskBar: *
*FvwmTaskBar: Colorset 1
*FvwmTaskBar: FocusColorset 2
*FvwmTaskBar: IconColorset 1
*FvwmTaskBar: NoBrightFocus
*FvwmTaskBar: StartIcon start.xpm
*FvwmTaskBar: UseSkipList
*FvwmTaskBar: font
-adobe-utopia-regular-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-91-iso10646-1
*FvwmTaskBar: StartName
*FvwmTaskBar: AutoStick
*FvwmTaskBar: Geometry +0-0
*FvwmTaskBar: StartMenu MenuFvwmRoot
*FvwmTaskBar: ClockFormat %I:%M %p
*FvwmTaskBar: ShowTips 
*FvwmTaskBar: Button Icon mozilla.xpm, Action exec exec mozilla
*FvwmTaskBar: WindowButtonsRightMargin 0
*FvwmTaskBar: WindowButtonsLeftMargin 0
*FvwmTaskBar: ShowTransients

>How do you mean? It'll detect any mail received to $USER. If you meant
web->based e-mail, you'd need something like yoSucker and procmail to
deliver it
>to $USER

Actually I was thinking of a pop or imap check of a remote mailbox.

Thanks again,
Mike

---

From: Ruslan Kosolapov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:09:58 +0600

MG> That's a great idea, but I had already thought of it. :)
 MG> Unfortunatly I don't know how to get rid of the separator line. I
 MG> have tried it with and without 3DFvwm and I saw no difference
 MG> with my settings. One button and it looks OK. Two or more buttons
 MG> and it looks kind of silly to me.
 MG> http://www.ilstu.edu/~mrgibso/fvwmxp2.png I'm trying to emulate
 MG> Windows XP to the best of my ability (Mom's asking about going to
 MG> Linux).

  I try to propose another solution, without FvwmTaskBar at all.

  You can try to use more powerful FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan instead
  of FvwmTaskBar.

  Just swallow FvwmIconMan into FvwmButtons - and you get a taskbar.

  Button 'Start' in you situation will have a 'frame 0' in options, or
  will have a colorset with sh=hi=bg (and 'frame 1' or 'frame 2' etc).

  Another buttons ('quicklaunch bar') will have a 'frame 1' and
  colorset with noraml sh, hi and bg.

  This solution is not so simple as FvwmTaskBar, but this is very
  powerful. 

PS: sorry if I wrong understand you.
PSS: and sorry for a bad english too.

-- 
=[ const: у меня есть этот сертификат в базе... 
=[ ast: а вот у Алека он пропал и Большой сказал что это баг... 
=[ const: а как он пропал то? ast: так я его удалил!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:44:42 -0600

>You can try to use more powerful FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan instead

<snip>

>This solution is not so simple as FvwmTaskBar, but this is very

I took your suggestion and came up with this:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/mike_buttonbar.png

This is an actual Windows XP TaskBar:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/winxp_taskbar.png

Close, but no cigar. I have tow problems that I have not solved:

1) I fave not figured out how to control the maximum size of FvwmIconMan button.
One button should not fill to max size.

2) XClock has a font flag, -fn, but does not seem to work! I have tried all
types of fonts, but always displays this one large font (see top link).

But it is a whole lot closer to Windows XP's Task bar than the one I came up
with using FvwmTaskBar:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/mike-taskbar.png

------------------------------------------------------------
Illinois State University Webmail https://webmail2.ilstu.edu
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:53:42 +0100

* Mar 20 21:46 [email-masked] <[email-masked]>:

[...]

> 2) XClock has a font flag, -fn, but does not seem to work! I have
> tried all types of fonts, but always displays this one large font (see
> top link).

This is a known bug. Please see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=233707

[...]

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://johan.svedberg.pp.se/

---

From: Parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:59:52 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote [email-masked] thusly...
> http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/mike-taskbar.png

I liked the font for individual window icons in the third image.
Also, the clock font size, if not style, comes quite close to the
one in second image.

  - Parv

--

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:39:27 +0000

> http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/mike_buttonbar.png

Want to share the image you use in the Pixmap option of the colorset used
by FvwmIconMan? I hope this is an alpha-blended image, otherwise we can't
use it in fvwm-themes (the RedmondXP panel there uses alpha-blended
images only and adapts to any color scheme, not just blue).

You may add NeverFocus to the panel, so we could see how focused and
possibly selected items look too on the new screenshot.

> One button should not fill to max size.

There is no such option currently. Someone (you?) may try to implement it,

> types of fonts, but always displays this one large font (see top link).

I would not swallow xclock, the modern anti-aliasing versions have
unsolvable background color problems too, like on the screenshot, not
just font problems.

You may use either of the 2 solutions used in fvwm-themes. FvwmScript's
sample FvwmApplet-DigitalClock that only draws digital clock, or separate
module FvwmThemesPanelManager that manages digital clock among other
things.

> http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/mike-taskbar.png

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:10:57 -0600

> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=233707
Actually it is user error (As in me being stupid).
I did not read the entire man page for XClock.  For the -fn flag to work,
the -norender flag must be set.  That problem solved. :\

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:49:59 -0600

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:27:13 -0600

Quoting Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>:

> by FvwmIconMan? 

Images and config file can be download at:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/fvwmxp_fvwm26_0_5.tar.gz

> I hope this is an alpha-blended image, otherwise we can't

Most (all?) of my images have an apha-layer, but I'm not sure that is 
what you are asking. So, probably not.  I have looked over the RedmondXP 
panel a little.  Not a whole lot like that one.  Most of what I have done 
is actually from XP. The RedmondXP apears to be done by hand.  For legal 
reason, you probably would not want to use mine.

> possibly selected items look too on the new screenshot.

I have a couple of full screen shots I did tonight.  This one showing
how an application looks selected on the FvwmIconMan:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/fss1.png

This show the FvwmMenu system:

http://uhacc.org/~elfstones/fss2.png 

> unsolvable background color problems too, like on the screenshot, not

I did a better job of blending around the clock by padding heavily around 
the clock (see screenshot)

> module FvwmThemesPanelManager that manages digital clock among other

I did not know they existed. I'll check these out.

Thanks,
Mike

---

From: "Mike Gibson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:44:15 -0600

> > 1) I fave not figured out how to control the maximum size of
FvwmIconMan
> button.

Actually, I think I will try to implement it.  It is the best way to see
if I'm any good at hacking FVWM API code... or not.