Subject: FVWM: New Debian package, second try

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:37:25 -0600

Hi folks,

        Late last year, I had dome into this forum to announce a new
 packaging of fvwm 2.5.8 for Debian. At that point, the objection was
 expressed that the packaging was ancient, and that the diffs from the
 official sources shipped were huge.  Keeping those in mind, I went
 back and re-did the packaging, and I have uploaded the package to the
 experimental distribution of Debian. I have tried to address the
 issues raised on this list for my last set5 of packages.

        The diffs this time  are 8593 lines, coming to 506545
 bytes. The diffs are likely to be larger the next time, since I have
 found that updating config.{sub,guess}, and re-running
 auto{make,header,conf}  with the latest versins of these tools makes
 for a large diff. 

        I have made the source repository of the debian package
 available via arch.debian.org (details on access are at 
 http://arch.debian.org/arch/private/srivasta/ )

        Here is a brief summary of the changes made during packaging. 

        I am hoping that the debianistas on this list can take the
 package for a spin; it is scheduled to head into Debian
 proper at the end of the week.

	Here are trhe apt/sources.list lines where the package is
 available.

deb http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/ packages/ 
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/ packages/source/
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

        thanks,

        manoj

./fvwm/fvwm-2.5.8
      [email-masked]/fvwm--devo--2.5--patch-2
./fvwm/fvwm-2.5.8/debian
      [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--patch-4
./fvwm/fvwm-2.5.8/debian/common
      [email-masked]/skeleton-make-rules--main--0.1--patch-3

fvwm-2.5.8:
    [email-masked]/fvwm--devo--2.5--patch-2
        Tue Nov 25 17:02:17 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        merge in changes in the debian branch

        merges in:
          [email-masked]/fvwm--debian--2.5--patch-3
             Tue Nov 25 17:01:19 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
             Remove autogenerated files that are removed on cleaning anyway

    [email-masked]/fvwm--devo--2.5--patch-1
        Tue Nov 25 13:50:20 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Merged in the terminal emulator changes required by policy

        merges in:
         [email-masked]/fvwm--terminal-emulator--2.5--patch-1
             Tue Nov 25 13:49:52 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
             Changed the hard-coded xterm into x-terminal-emulator as
             per Debian policy

    [email-masked]/fvwm--devo--2.5--base-0
        Tue Nov 25 13:47:11 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        tag of [email-masked]/fvwm--debian--2.5--patch-2

        merges in:
         [email-masked]/fvwm--debian--2.5--patch-2
            Tue Nov 25 13:46:34 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
            Added a NAME section to the FvwmWindowMenu.1 man page
         [email-masked]/fvwm--debian--2.5--patch-1
            Tue Nov 25 12:54:12 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
            Remove ./debian directory included in upstream
         [email-masked]/fvwm--debian--2.5--base-0
            Tue Nov 25 12:34:02 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
            tag of [email-masked]/fvwm--upstream--2.5--base-0
         [email-masked]/fvwm--upstream--2.5--base-0
            Tue Nov 25 12:31:37 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
            Initial import of upstream tree

fvwm-2.5.8/debian:
    [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--patch-4
        Wed Nov 26 10:37:10 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Better handling of systemwide configuration
    [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--patch-3
        Wed Nov 26 01:15:13 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Bugs discovered during test run
    [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--patch-2
        Tue Nov 25 18:35:58 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Fixed errors found during the first test run
    [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--patch-1
        Tue Nov 25 16:46:29 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Tailored for fvwm
    [email-masked]/debian-dir--fvwm--0.1--base-0
        Tue Nov 25 14:21:55 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        tag of 
        [email-masked]/debian-dir--skeleton--1.0--patch-1

        merges in:
          [email-masked]/debian-dir--skeleton--1.0--patch-1
             Fri Nov 21 03:18:40 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
             The control file lacked an arch tag. Fixed
          [email-masked]/debian-dir--skeleton--1.0--base-0
             Fri Nov 21 03:16:51 CST 2003 Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
             Initial implementation of a generic debian directory

fvwm-2.5.8/debian/common:
    [email-masked]/skeleton-make-rules--main--0.1--patch-3
        Tue Nov 18 14:34:16 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Added common (not arch, not indep) targets to all phases.
    [email-masked]/skeleton-make-rules--main--0.1--patch-2
        Tue Nov 18 01:22:42 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Moved more things into the common directory
    [email-masked]/skeleton-make-rules--main--0.1--patch-1
        Mon Nov 17 01:56:37 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        We need to use a char that can't legally be in a package name,
        / seems to fit best
    [email-masked]/skeleton-make-rules--main--0.1--base-0
        Sat Nov 15 11:39:12 CST 2003      Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
        Initial upload of the package

-- 
"... they [the Indians] are not running but are coming on." note sent
from Lt. Col Custer to other officers of the 7th Regiment at the
Little Bighorn
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
1024R/C7261095 print CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:27:11 +0100

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:37:25 -0600, Manoj wrote:

> package for a spin; it is scheduled to head into Debian proper at
> the end of the week.

Works fine for me, upgrading from a locally compiled/installed 2.5.7 -
after putting my old system.fvwm2rc in ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc

I'm not getting anti-aliased fonts (I am in, for instance, Mozilla and
Gnumeric; I didn't with my homebrew 2.5.7 either, though).

Do I need to enable that somehow?

  Best regards,

-- 
 "Mr. Cotton's... parrot. Same question."                     Adam Sjøgren
                                                         [email-masked]

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:08:29 -0800

> Gnumeric; I didn't with my homebrew 2.5.7 either, though).

   AFAIK anti-aliasing fonts in applications is not related to WM

	erik

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:23:07 +0100

>> I'm not getting anti-aliased fonts (I am in, for instance, Mozilla
>> and Gnumeric; I didn't with my homebrew 2.5.7 either, though).

>    AFAIK anti-aliasing fonts in applications is not related to WM

I was merely saying that anti-aliasing works in the applications to
provide the information that _some_ anti-aliasing work on my computer.

But not in my favourite window manager application, "fvwm", alas.

  Sorry for being unclear,

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 17:32:37 -0500

>> Gnumeric; I didn't with my homebrew 2.5.7 either, though).

  es> AFAIK anti-aliasing fonts in applications is not related to WM

I think Adam means that his FVWM menus, window title bars, etc. (things
that are under control of the WM) don't have AA fonts... but that other
apps on his system do.

FWIW.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:58:39 -0800

> But not in my favourite window manager application, "fvwm", alas.

   oh! now I get it.

   both gnome and kde have their own support for anti-aliasing, I don't 
know exactly how it works but it's not part of standard X fonts services 
(i.e. only apps that use kde or gnome can use antialiased fonts, there 
might be more limitations to that).

	erik

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:05:39 +0200

> But not in my favourite window manager application, "fvwm", alas.

Anti-aliasing works perfectly in my fvwm 2.5.8 (cvs snapshot). Looks
great with transparency!

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
A member of South Africa's largest retail software vendor, the UCS Group

Tel : (011) 712 1371   Cell : 082 902 5632
Fax : (011) 339 3421
Internet : http://ucs.co.za

"I am the Unconquerable Spirit."
               -- Poet Unknown
   
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux - testing/unstable

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:08:00 +0100

> Anti-aliasing works perfectly in my fvwm 2.5.8 (cvs snapshot). Looks

Cool! What did you do?

I've got this on my box:

 $ grep Load /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
         Load    "GLcore"
         Load    "bitmap"
         Load    "dbe"
         Load    "ddc"
 #       Load    "dri"
         Load    "extmod"
         Load    "freetype"
         Load    "glx"
         Load    "int10"
         Load    "record"
         Load    "speedo"
         Load    "type1"
         Load    "vbe"
 $ fvwm --version
 fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Mar 11 2004 at 23:55:48
 with support for: ReadLine, RPlay, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS

 fvwm comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
 redistribute copies of fvwm under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
 For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
 $ 

(Debian unstable with the latest XFree86 4.3.0-packages, the fvwm
from experimental, lastest fontconfig).

I'm not well versed in the whole font-handling thing, so I will
appreciate any pointers to where I should read more/what I should
frob.

  Best regards,

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:27:46 +0200

>  Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS

stu@pegasus:stu$ grep Load /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
#       Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"

I have a GeForce4 MX graphics card.

stu@pegasus:stu$ fvwm --version
fvwm 2.5.8 (from cvs) compiled on Sep 11 2003 at 18:25:52
with support for: XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, XRender, XFT, NLS

> from experimental, lastest fontconfig).

Like me, and presumably you have freetype2 too?

> appreciate any pointers to where I should read more/what I should

I am NO expert, but these are my experiences in getting anti-aliasing
going :

1. You need to have true-type fonts installed on your machine, and seen
by your X server. Here is an excellent link explaining how to do this :

http://www.linuxgnubbie.com/index.php?module=article&view=13

Now you should be able to run 'fc-list' and see the true-type fonts
available on your machine.

2. fvwm needs to be compiled with xft support (as yours is)

3. You need to tell fvwm to use true-type fonts. The man page has got
good instructions on how to do this(search for FONT NAMES AND FONT
LOADING), but it is quite easy. The crux of the matter is supplying the
correct 'Font' entry ie

Style * Font "xft:Lucida
Console:medium:Regular:size=14:encoding=iso8859-1"

The above is one line.

Another interesting link I found is the 'Font De-uglification HOWTO' :

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/FDU/index.html

which contains tips and tricks for how to improve X Window fonts.

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:01:28 +0100

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:27:46 +0200, stu wrote:

> 3. You need to tell fvwm to use true-type fonts. The man page has
> got good instructions on how to do this(search for FONT NAMES AND
> FONT LOADING), but it is quite easy. The crux of the matter is
> supplying the correct 'Font' entry ie

> Console:medium:Regular:size=14:encoding=iso8859-1"

Ah, this was what I was missing, now it works!

(I was just running xfontsel and copying from there - that gave me
non-anti-aliased fonts.)

Thanks for the help, things look much smoother now.

  Best regards,

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:37:01 -0600

> I have tried to download the files, but with

> fvwm_2.5.8.orig.tar.gz

> I have problems.  The Server tells me I have no permission to get
> the file.  Please can you correct this ?

	Should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up.

> I like to backport it to WOODY.

	Please let me know how it goes.

	manoj

-- 
I judge a religion as being good or bad based on whether its adherents
become better people as a result of practicing it. Joe Mullally,
computer salesman
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
1024R/C7261095 print CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:57:45 +0100

Hello Manjo, 

Sorry, if you get this E-Mail twice, but my first one 
from 20.03.2004 does not apear in the archive...

fvwm_2.5.8.orig.tar.gz 

I have problems. 
The Server tells me I have no permission to get the file.
Please can you correct this ?

Greetings
Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:40:18 +0100

Hello, 

>	Should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks, downloaded.

>	Please let me know how it goes.

As I have seen the dependencies, no problem for WOODY.
xlibs >>4.1.0 is in WOODY.

Will try it tonight or tomorrow.

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:56:54 +0100

Hello Manjo, 

Sometimes I HATE apt-get for this

  ____ /dev/stdin ______________________________________________________
 /
|  Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/packages/source/So
|  urces  Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/people.debian.o
|  rg_%7esrivasta_packages_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or dire
|  ctory)
 \______________________________________________________________________

But the file is there !!!

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:19:03 +0100

Hello Manjo and others, 

>	Please let me know how it goes.

Curently I am trying to Backport fvwm 2.5.8 to Debian/WOODY...

Big grrrrrrrrrrr.........

OK, I have tried to trim the dependencies to the Versions in WOODY...
..but it requires libfontconfig1-dev which is NOT in WOODY !

OK, downloaded and... trimed down the dependencies...
Arg....

I can not change in the control-file the dependencies to 
libfreetype6-dev back to 2.0.9 for WOODY. 

It requires funktions which are not availlable in 2.0.9

I have already a backport of 2.1.7-2 which comes from UNSTABLE 
but it conflicts with openoffice.org1.1, which REQUIRES a version 
>> 2.1.0 !

My openoffice.org1.1 backport is

deb ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/debian-openoffice/ woody main contrib

OK, I have deinstalled (realy bad Idea) openoffice.org1.1 and 
installed the newer libfreetype6 version...

Noww it seems to build fine the 'fontconfig1' without...
f... 

binutils from woody are 2.12.90.0.1 and make an error:

objcopy: unrecognized option `--only-keep-debug`

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think, if a WOODY system must be upgraded with 

libfreetype6-dev version 2.1.7 which conflicts with openoffice.org1.1 and 
binutils must updated to Version 2.14.90.0.7 then it is inacceptable.

Please let me know.

If someone like to get it, I will compile it up to the end, but I need 
openoffice.org.1.1 and can personaly not use fvwm 2.5.8

But be warned !!!

Updating of binutils can make you trouble...

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:58:11 +0000 (GMT)

> Big grrrrrrrrrrr.........

http://linuxgazette.net/100/lg_tips.html#tips.1

might be of help to you. You might want to poke around in experimental, if
you're adversed enough, too.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:25:51 +0100

>http://linuxgazette.net/100/lg_tips.html#tips.1

???

>you're adversed enough, too.

???

I am using Debian since 1999 with success. I have curently more then 
600 Packages backported...

I use the Debian-Source od manjo Srivasta because the Version in 
UNSTABLE is only 2.4.16 which I use sinc many month...

In the Message I have writenn, that I have a dependency problem...
Which can not solved easyly. While compiling fontconfig1 it like 
to use the 'objcopy --only-keep-debug' which does not exist in the 
version of WOODY ! So I need to backport first binutils which eats 
around 350 MBytes of my /usr/src...

Curently I am compiling...
Maybe the fvwm binary will work with the binutils version of WOODY
and NEED ONLY FOR COMPILING THE NEWER VERSION.

If I get 2.5.8 running on Debian WOODY I write back

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:09:41 +0200

> >deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

Any chance of also getting fvwmtabs as an official package?

>  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.
>

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:03:52 +0100

Hello Micha, 

>Any chance of also getting fvwmtabs as an official package?

If manjo do the UNSTABLE stuf, I will make the Backports. 
I have trier to male a Debian-Package from scratch, but I am not Allah !

I am only a human which is lacking somting...

What Du you use ? WOODY or SID ?

If WOODY, dou you have tried the backport ?

Oh yes, "Tamay Dogan" is my origin birth name and "Michelle Konzack" 
the name which I have from my german adoptiv parents.

Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:16:44 +0200

> > >deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

Tried to install it. It is linked against libstroke which isn't in the
dependencies.

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:24:48 +0200

>Tried to install it. It is linked against libstroke which isn't in the

I have checked it...
Yes right, it is missing from the Dependencies...

I will contact Manjo to correct it. 
I can do only the stuff for WOODY.
 
Greetings
Michelle

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:54:16 +0200

> Yes right, it is missing from the Dependencies...

While at it I looked at the full list of libraries it needs using ldd
and it looks like also the following dependencies are missing (some
such as libexpat1 are provided indirectly through xbase but its probably
safest to include everything). I didn't notice them earlier since I
have them installed through other packages needing them.

libxft2
libfreetype6
libfontconfig1
libxrender1
libstroke0
libfribidi0
libexpat1

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:02:33 +0200

>have them installed through other packages needing them.

I have exact the same problem but I am using WOODY... (an you SARGE/SID ?)

>libxft2

This is left out in the backport for WOODY

>libfreetype6

2.0.9 from WOODY

>libxrender1

Left out

>libstroke0

0.5.1 from WOODY

>libfribidi0

0.10.1 from WOODY

>libexpat1

1.95.2 from WOODY

I asume you are using SARGE or SID so I will change 
my backport fvwm 2.5.8 Packages for WOODY.

Greetings
Michelle