Subject: FVWM: Cannot get hotkeys to work

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:17:38 -0500

I'm trying to set up Alt-F1 .. F6 hotkeys to switch to the different
Pages I have set upon my desk.  I'm having difficulty getting FVWM (or
maybe X?) to recognize Alt as a modifier.  If I set things up for Shift
or Control it usually works fine.

 Here's the output from xmodmap in regards to the Alt keys:

ragabash 11:10 [~/.fvwm] xmodmap -pm
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Control_L (0x25)
control     Caps_Lock (0x42),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Meta_L (0x40),  Meta_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3      
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

ragabash 11:10 [~/.fvwm] xmodmap -pke | egrep "(Alt)|(Meta)|(Shift)|(Control)"
keycode  37 = Control_L
keycode  50 = Shift_L
keycode  62 = Shift_R
keycode  64 = Meta_L Alt_L
keycode 109 = Control_R
keycode 113 = Meta_R Alt_R
ragabash 11:11 [~/.fvwm] 

 The really strange thing is that last night, for a time Alt-F1 was
working as desired, then it stopped.  Control or Shift combinations were
fine.  Now I can't get any of them to work, even without a modifier.
This is what I've been typing into FvwmConsole:

Key F1 A M GotoPage 0 0
Key F1 A 1 GotoPage 0 0
Key F1 A S GotoPage 0 0
Key F1 A C GotoPage 0 0
Key F1 A N GotoPage 0 0

 I'm not sure if this is an X problem, or a FVWM problem.  I suspect
it's FVWM because Alt and Ctrl hotkeys work in other applications, but
maybe I've misconfigured something.  If I run xev and tap the keys then
they all correspond to the keycodes I see above -- it all looks
perfectly fine.

Any suggestions on how to track down the problem are appreciated.  (Oh,
I'm using fvwm 2.4.16, but that'll get upgraded as soon as Debian gets
new fvwm packages -- which, going by a recent post, sounds like it'll be
soon.)

-- 
Chris Witham <[email-masked]>
Computer Engineer and Geek
Fan of video games, anime, and the outdoors
Creator of the original Bitch of Fate

Does the noise in my head bother you?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:04:02 +0100

> keycode 113 = Meta_R Alt_R

This does not look right and causes trouble because pressing shift
and meta simultaneously yields an Alt_* symbol.  Try removing the
Alt_* bindings from keycodes 64 and 113.

> fine.  Now I can't get any of them to work, even without a modifier.

Make sure your NumLock, ScrollLock or CapsLock key isn't pressed.

> new fvwm packages -- which, going by a recent post, sounds like it'll be

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:04:42 -0500

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:04:02AM +0100, Dominik Vogt fvwm-at-fvwm.org |fvwm| wrote:
>>  working as desired, then it stopped.  Control or Shift combinations
>>  were fine.  Now I can't get any of them to work, even without a
>>  modifier.
> 

 That did it.  As soon as I turned Numlock off, it works fine.  (In
retrospect, that's not surprising, since Numlock is mod2.)  I created
additional keybindings to cover both Meta and Meta+mod2 cases, and now
it works beautifully regardless of Numlock.  Even the Alt-Tab behaviour
is now working!

 Unsurprisingly, what I thought might be a problem turns out to be an
error on my part and a lot more power and functionality than expected in
FVWM.  Sometimes, it's good to be wrong.  :)

-- 
Chris Witham

Today's inspirational saying from despair.com:

Mediocrity:  It takes a lot less time and most people won't 
             notice the difference until it's too late.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:16:57 +0100

> FVWM.  Sometimes, it's good to be wrong.  :)

You may also want to look at FAQ question 0.1.  There are
instructions to disable the annoying ...Lock keys alltogether.  Or
you can disable it with the IgnoreModifiers command in fvwm only.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^