Subject: FVWM: FullScreen Position

From: Stefan Kamphausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:52:24 +0100

Dear FVWM-list,

as it so often goes: when switching to another WM you first run into
some troubles.
This time the itching issue is the fullscreen mode of programs like
acroread and mplayer (I haven't tried others).

They create a window which is a littlebit larger than my desktop and
place it so that the window decorations won't be visible anymore.
Funny enough on my system (SuSE 7.2, self-compiled FVWM 2.4.17) the
windows are not placed correctly: the position is (-10,-40) which
leaves me with the right window border and a good portion of my
desktop at the bottom.
I thought it might be that I must UsePPosition, but that doesn't solve
the problem. 

In addition to that, a setting like:
EdgeResistance 250 10
doesn't even let me move the window to the right position manually, I
need 
EdgeResistance 250 1
to be able.

As I did only find fullscreen problems in connection with layers (with
mplayer) and in connection with move problems (with acroread) in the
archives I seek for wisdom here.

Thanks for your patience
Regards
Stefan 
-- 
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
GPG: http://www.skamphausen.de/pubkey-mail-skamphausen-de
     fingerprint = 785C 6CF8 72B3 FB32 6145  7FBA 2FE0 3C63 A03B C3C9
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
You hit. The format string crumbles and turns to dust.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:58:03 +0100

> I thought it might be that I must UsePPosition, but that doesn't solve

The problem is that applications do not agree on whether whe
window gravity should be honoured or not when the window is moved.
This can result in the window position being shifted by the
decoration size to the northwest or southeast.  Fvwm tries to
detect which logic the application uses, but it is more or less
reading tea leaves.  You can tell fvwm which method to use:

  style AcroRead movebyprogrammethod usegravity

etc.

In this particular case, I think I can do something about it in
the detection code.

> doesn't even let me move the window to the right position manually, I

That has nothing to do with fullscreen placement.

> archives I seek for wisdom here.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^