Subject: FVWM: delay before executing EdgeCommand

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:07:47 +0100

Hi all,
actually the menus are pinnalbe in Fvwm, isn't it?

http://xwinman.org/comparisons.html

So there should be all over a 'yes' at fvwm, woudn't it?

here my prob:

recently I used 1 Desktop and 3 Pages. I moved from one to the
other pages with the WindowList (what I bound also to a
EdgeCommand).

The Problem was the WindowList won't show the applications
seperated for each Page (I didn't find an option, unless that it
actually shows the page number) but only for each Desk? Did I
miss an option?  A way to get the apps separated based on the
page number (similar to what now works finely with desks)? each
Page then separated? 

,---- personal remark:
| _Actually_ the WindowList is that what I want to use to navigate
| (according to this basic philosophy (a little bit) here: 
| http://udeproject.sourceforge.net/Documentation/node1.html )
| :)
`----

Anyway, so I switched now to using 3 Desks (now arises this new
problem here) with each only 1 page (1x1). I want to switch the
desktop with commands like below (what works good so far):
,----
| EdgeCommand Left GotoDesk 1 0 2
| EdgeCommand Right GotoDesk -1 0 2
`----
I was used to the built-in support for changing pages, but since
I (have) to use now desks... I would like a similar
behabiour now when this is possible, as it was with switching
pages while dragging over the edges.
So what I'm missing here especially would be the: EdgeResitance

It would be fine when there would be some delay before the Desks
gets switched when I come (sometimes accidentaly) into contact
with the Desk/Page border . Or in other words, how to get a delay
for the EdgeCommands?

Probably I need to use FvwmAuto then, but I'm not able to set this
up properly. Or someting with Schedule. All a little bit too
complicate for me actually:

What I've got so far:

,----
| FvwmAuto 100 -passid -menter "Silent desk_switch" 
| 
| DestroyFunc desk_switch
| AddToFunc desk_switch
| + I WindowId $0 (__missing-name__) GotoDesk 1 0 2
`----

So when I would know that __missing-name__ , what should be p.e  the
 left Edge, It might would work.

Maybe that have to be done differently.

Any Help would be gladly appreciated!

Greetings
marco candrian

-- 
  calmar 
           (o_         GNU/Linux is GREAT      
           //\                 
           V_/_        http://www.calmar.ws 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:14:19 +0000 (GMT)

> with the Desk/Page border . Or in other words, how to get a delay

Have a look at the: "Schedule" command (man fvwm)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:32:53 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote calmar thusly...
> actually the menus are pinnalbe in Fvwm, isn't it?

AFAIK, that is an experimental feature and do not behave well (of
course that is in the archive), last time i tried.

> So there should be all over a 'yes' at fvwm, woudn't it?

Keep in mind the above before lobbying.

  - Parv

--

---

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:43:41 +0100

> course that is in the archive), last time i tried.

I see, I thought when I can click on the title of a menu and get
a new 'stable' window of the menu, that's also about 'pinnable'. 

well then obviously pinnalbe is something different than what I
meant :)

Greetings
marco candrian

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:05:22 +0000 (GMT)

> well then obviously pinnalbe is something different than what I

I think you're wanting functionality similar to how OLWM/OLVWM operate.
You can emulate it, if you click with the middle mouse button (or
scroll-button on your mouse) on an already poped-up menu.

You can even do:

Style fvwm_menu !Border, !Handles, HandleWidth 0, !Title

or however you want it.

-- Thomas Adam

=====

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:47:10 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>, wrote calmar thusly...
> > in message <[email-masked]>, wrote calmar
> > thusly...
> >>
> > AFAIK, that is an experimental feature and do not behave well
> > (of course that is in the archive), last time i tried.
> 

Hmm... them stickable menus must now have been stable enough to
resolve the problems then.  I had stopped using them since as they
once caused me needless pain.

Looking at my past messages now ...  Ah!  It seems i confused the
non transitory menus w/ FvwmWinList.  The thread was "fvwm 2.5.4
- FvwmWinList doesn't seem to grow w/o re-start", w/ parent message
ID of <[email-masked]>.

And, the problem was not mine but of other users/developers.  The
threads were "things to be done for 2.6",
<[email-masked]> and "Extending Fvwm",
<[email-masked]>.

> well then obviously pinnalbe is something different than what
> I meant :)

Tell me this, are you referring to "tear off menus" that pops up
after you hit "backspace" or middle mouse button while focus is on
a menu?  If so, we are talking about the same thing.

  - Parv

--