Subject: FVWM: Separate FvwmIconMan on each page?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:40:20 -0800

Is there any way to start separate icon managers on each page?

I previously reported a wrapraround problem with FvwmIconMan:
    http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0402/msg00179.html
I can reproduce this problem whenever there is a window on one page which
abuts an IconMan on another page; moving the mouse into the IconMan on the
other page warps to the IconMan on the original page.  Adding space between
the windows helps, but is not reliable -- some mouse motion will still
occasionally cause this glitch, but I have been unable to determine exactly
what controls this.

I suspect what's going on is that IconMan doesn't refresh quickly enough, so
that IconMan continues to show the windows from the original page just long
enough to warp back to that page.  A workaround would then be to start
separate icon managers for each page, rather than using a single Sticky
manager.  But I can't figure out how to do this!

I've tried giving each instance a separate title, then using something like
	*FvwmIconMan*2*title	"Page2"
	Style "Page2"		StartsOnPage 1 0
but this seems to affect all instances of IconMan, not just this one.  I would
happily write a command to start multiple instances of IconMan, using GotoPage
in between to set the page, but this fails since only one Module can be
running at once.  The only other way I know to specify the startup page is to
use *managergeometry with pixel settings which push things onto another page;
this indeed works, but (I believe) causes those instances to think they're
still on the original page, so they don't show anything from the page they
appear to be on.

Any suggestions either regarding the original problem or possible workarounds?

Thanks.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 04:04:23 +0000 (GMT)

> manager.  But I can't figure out how to do this!

One thing you *might* do, albeit very ugly and inefficient is to use:

FvwmEvent

and when you flip pages, get it to lauch IconMan.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:37:24 -0800

>> and when you flip pages, get it to lauch IconMan.

Thanks for the suggestion
After a couple of attempts (is this the right syntax?), I tried:

Module FvwmEvent
*FvwmEventCmd
*FvwmEvent new_page IconMan

Seemed to behave as advertised, but didn't solve the problem.
Perhaps I haven't diagnosed it correctly.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].