Subject: FVWM: Really StaysOnBottom

From: Stefan Kamphausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:20:01 +0100

Dear FVWM-gurus,

<polite-introduction)
I am probably just too stupid to find out, but I've been diving
through the man-page and the web for quite a bit of time, plus I
searched the mailing list archives.  Obviously I didn't find the
answer and that's why I am writing here.
</polite-introduction)

I have the following problem at hand: I want to have a system monitor
living in the background of my desktop.

That is: I want to start a terminal emulation (with a font that fits
the background of my desktop) in the upper-right corner of the screen
without any handles or titles or something else displaying 'top'.
Plus, and that's the thing I am here for, it shall never be raised.

What I currently have is this:

1. I start this:
   wterm -T hidden +sb -tr -fg "#6e6e6e" -bg "#336577" 
         -fn 6x10 -geometry +800+0 -e top&
(of course all in one line, reformatted just for this message)

2. and in my .fvwm2rc:
   Style  "hidden"      NoTitle, WindowListSkip, NoHandles, Sticky, \
                        BorderWidth 0, Layer 0, ClickToFocus, StaysPut

As you can probably guess, this just doesn't work as expected.  I
tried some variations in the Layer-style, put the StaysPut style in
there and some things more, but I just cannot get it.

I repeat: the only problem is that the window gets raised on a
Raise command, e.g. with this key:
Key     Up      A       CM      Raise

If you could help me getting this straight I'd be very thankful and
would (finally; almost as described in "My Quest For The Perfect
Window Manager") get back to the FVWM I used when I started to work in
Unix on a Solaris machine so many years ago (hm, not quite so: I'd be
using a far more advanced and modern FVWM than that old 1.x one ;-).

If you need another reason besides me wishing it maybe the notion that
I already did this in sawfish might come in handy ;-)

(And (just as a side note): is there any way to start a programm at a
 specific position besides the -geometry option?  Like, having my
 XEmacs always live at +0+0?)

Best Regards and Thanks in Advance
Stefan Kamphausen

PS: I understand that this is a particularly friendly community and
that's why I didn't listen to the mailing list for several days before
posting.  I hope, that's all right with you.  If not, please drop me a
note.  Thanks.
-- 
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
GPG: http://www.skamphausen.de/pubkey-mail-skamphausen-de
     fingerprint = 785C 6CF8 72B3 FB32 6145  7FBA 2FE0 3C63 A03B C3C9
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
You hit. The format string crumbles and turns to dust.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:14:24 +0000 (GMT)

>                         BorderWidth 0, Layer 0, ClickToFocus, StaysPut
                                                                 ^^^^^^^
Try replacing that with: StaysOnBottom

> Raise command, e.g. with this key:

Try:

RaiseLower instead.

>  XEmacs always live at +0+0?)

Yes, add them to your ~/.Xdefaults file:

XEmacs*Geometry: 0+0

and then run:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

(I have that line in my ~/.xsession)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Stefan Kamphausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:19:37 +0100

Hi,

 > Yes, add them to your ~/.Xdefaults file:

I've just read the info pages of XEmacs concerning the X Ressources
which has an extra chapter for the handling of geometry resources.
(see: info xemacs m X Resources m Geometry Resources)

To quote from that page:
"Important! Do not use the following syntax:

     Emacs*geometry: 80x55"

(and then follows a thorough explanation)

Actually, the desired format is:

     Emacs*EmacsFrame.geometry: 80x55

Or In my special case:
     Emacs*EmacsFrame.geometry: 100x61+0+0

(Not that the use of "XEmacs" as in Thomas' mail instead of "Emacs"
here works only in newer XEmacsen and "Emacs" is still provided for
backward compatibility)

I thought you might like to know that...

Best Regards and Thanks for the Quick Answers :-)
Stefan