Subject: FVWM: Problems with FvwmWharf

From: Guido Berhoerster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:06:11 +0100

Hi,
I have some trouble with FvwmWharf, it appears to have a problem
with transparent colorsets which cause it to crash with an error
message similar to this:

----snip----
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  40 (X_TranslateCoords)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x800005
  Serial number of failed request:  17
  Current serial number in output stream:  17
----snap----

Here is a minimal .fvwm2rc to reproduce the problem:

----snip----
ImagePath /usr/X11R6/share/fvwm2/pixmaps:+

Colorset 10 RootTransparent, fg black, bg rgb:dcdc/dada/d5d5, hi white, sh\
            rgb:9e9e/9a9a/9191, Tint rgb:dcdc/dada/d5d5 50

DestroyFunc InitFunction
AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I Module FvwmWharf
+ I Module FvwmConsole
+ I Exec xterm
#+ I Exec fvwm-root -r background.png

Style FvwmWharf !Title
Style FvwmWharf !Borders
Style FvwmWharf ParentalRelativity

*FvwmWharfColorset 10
*FvwmWharfFullPush
*FvwmWharfNoBorder
*FvwmWharf xterm xterm.xpm Exec xterm
----snap----

FvwmWharf starts fine but as soon as one sets a background image
e.g. via fvwm-root -r background.png FvwmWharf crashes with above
error message.
I know FvwmWharf is not widely used any more because of
FvwmButtons but I just tried out FvwmWharf because it has this
nice feature called 'FullPush' which moves the icon of a button a
few pixels down and to the right when pressed. That way one can
get some visual feedback even if the button has no relief around
it, something that FvwmButtons cannot do.
I'm using fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Feb  9 2004 at 20:54:15 with
support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama,
XRender, XFT on FreeBSD.
Regards,
-- 
Guido Berhoerster    [email-masked]
                     http://www.guido-berhoerster.org/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:27:54 +0100

> e.g. via fvwm-root -r background.png FvwmWharf crashes with above

Should be fixed now.

> support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama,

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Guido Berhoerster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:44:17 +0100

> Should be fixed now.

Yes, thanks.
I just discovered two more problems when using the FullPush and
NoBorder options. When a button is pressed a 2-pixel-wide
"pressed-in" relief is still being drawn around it and not only
the icon is moved to the left and down but the transparent
background moves with it. Just wanted to let you know, I'm going
back to using FvwmButtons because it's more flexible and allows
different button sizes.
Would it be possible to add a feature like "FullPush" to
FvwmButtons or would that be against the feature freeze policy?
This way one could get some visual feedback on a button press
when the buttons are transparent or flat, I also remember someone
asking about that feature on this list about a month ago.
Regards,
-- 
Guido Berhoerster    [email-masked]
                     http://www.guido-berhoerster.org/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:22:57 +0100

> asking about that feature on this list about a month ago.

I don't have a problem adding such small features in modules at
the moment.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Guido Berhoerster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:13:32 +0100

> I don't have a problem adding such small features in modules at

OK, the only problem is that my C knowledge is non-existent. Is
there anybody with enough knowledge in C and FVWM programming who
would be willing to implement this?
-- 
Guido Berhoerster    [email-masked]
                     http://www.guido-berhoerster.org/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].