Subject: FVWM: notification area

From: Andrew Dolgov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:33:46 +0300

I use a few programs which can create notification area icons (both KDE and
freedesktop protocol), is there any way to have full-featured native
notification area under FVWM?

I have tried several approaches already:

1. FvwmButtons & swallow specific icon window: does not work at all with
programs built with libegg, not flexible, loses icon if the window was
closed.

2. swallow applet like peksystray/docker - works a little bit better, but
is generally ugly and unstable.

-- 
Doctor: Do you always talk to your computer?
Daria: No, only when the refrigerator is mad at me.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:11:22 +0000

> notification area under FVWM?

Noone implemented such protocol support AFAIK.

> programs built with libegg, not flexible, loses icon if the window was

Besides not supporting the protocol, FvwmButtons works with statical
fixed size buttons only. If I understand you, you want new icons to
appear/disapper dynamically. Currently, FvwmButtons is mostly statical
except for small possible changes to initially created buttons.

I am not familar with the protocol, maybe it is easy to create a new
module implementing a tray. If you are a programmer, you may try.

> is generally ugly and unstable.

This is the only option currently. If swallowing of some fixed size tray
application into FvwmButtons does not work well, then maybe you may use
it as a separate non-swallowed window, then it may grow freely.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andrew Dolgov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:29:09 +0300

Hi, Mikhael!

>>>>> "MG" == Mikhael Goikhman writes:

>> notification area under FVWM?
 MG> Noone implemented such protocol support AFAIK.

This is sad. Can it be added to the TODO list? Seems like a useful feature
to me.

Unfortunately, I'm not qualified to write a patch/module for that. :-(

[...]

-- 
Mr. O'Neill: Well, why don't you write a story taking people you
  know in real life and turning them into fictional characters?
Daria: I wonder if anyone would notice the difference?