Subject: FVWM: alt+shift works, shift+alt not

From: Roland Hautz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:27:45 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

Defined key bindings like

Key     Left    A       SM      Scroll -100 +0

only work for me, when pressing alt before shift. That misbehavior was 
introduced such a while ago that I'm already used to it. Still I'd prefer 
return to normality.

Tried with fvwm 2.5.7 and 2.5.9 (cvs head) on XFree86 4.3

I'm not 100% sure that my Xkb is not the culprit. But my Xkb configs are 
unmodified from suse 9.0, and I can spot nothing unusual in these.

Is it a fvwm bug?

-- 
Roland Hautz
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:41:18 +0100

> unmodified from suse 9.0, and I can spot nothing unusual in these.

I don't think so.  Run

  $ xmodmap -pm

and

  $ xmodmap -pke

.  This displays which modifiers are defined and which keys
generate them.  The Shift_... or Alt_... key is probably
configured in an odd way.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Roland Hautz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:23:05 +0100 (CET)

>   $ xmodmap -pm

~>xmodmap -pm
xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  BadKey (0x7d),  BadKey (0x9c)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3      
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  BadKey (0x7f),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

>   $ xmodmap -pke

~>xmodmap -pke | egrep '(Alt)|(Meta)|(Shift)'
keycode  50 = Shift_L
keycode  62 = Shift_R
keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key
keycode 124 = ISO_Level3_Shift
keycode 125 = NoSymbol Alt_L
keycode 156 = NoSymbol Meta_L

> configured in an odd way.

OK, shift+alt is producing Meta_L. But I expected applications including 
fvwm would interpret Alt and Meta as synonyms?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:02:22 +0100

> fvwm would interpret Alt and Meta as synonyms?

Yes, it does.  Your problem occurs because fvwm can not decide
whether it should have expected Shift pressed for the Alt_L key or
not.  To understand the problem, consider this:

Some keyboards map Shift-F1 to F11.  Now, what does this binding
mean?

  Key F11 A S something

Does this apply to Shift-F1?

Unfortunately it's not possible to find out exactly which key was
pressed with which modifiers held, so all you can do is guess.  In
fvwm, I decided to ignore the "S" in this binding and treat it
exactly like

  Key F1 A S something
  Key F11 S something

This can have some funny results in some exotic cases like yours.
I'd like to fix it, but doing so will inadvertedly break other
cases.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Roland Hautz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:24:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

playing around with xkeycaps I got convinced at last, that SuSE qualifies 
indeed as Loser Vendor (see xkeycaps.1x) with its xkb setup. I removed 
Meta_L from the alt keycode and am already recovering from my alt before 
shift habit.

thanks,