Subject: FVWM: scroll fails along one edge only

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:40:02 -0800

I'm having a bizarre problem with my new system:
     Fast scrolling off the right edge puts the mouse on the next page,
     leaves the viewport on the current page, and loses the focus
     altogether (despite SloppyFocus); bringing the mouse back anywhere
     on the original page restores the focus to the appropriate window on
     that page.

I'm running SuSE 9.0, which comes with fvwm 2.5.7-60 (and XFree86 4.3.0.1-29)
installed.  I've tried this with the default SuSE setup, which appears to
prohibit edge scrolling altogether, and with my own preferences:
     EdgeResistance          10 10
     EdgeScroll              100 100
In the latter case, slow mouse movement does change viewport, but still loses
the focus.  This problem only occurs on the right edge; the other edges scroll
properly: immediate change of viewport with no loss of focus at any mouse
speed.

I'm a relative newcomer to fvwm, and a complete SuSE newbie, although I've
used RH for years (and fvwm 2.2.4 for maybe a year).  The hardware is also
new, including a 19" flat panel exhibiting possible sync problems -- although
I have trouble seeing how that could be related.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Can anyone suggest a possible cause?

Thanks!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:35:21 -0800

I should perhaps have added that I have a dual-head video card -- with just
the one monitor attached.  Maybe it's trying to scroll to another monitor?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:29:24 +0100

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:40:02PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>      leaves the viewport on the current page,

I am a bit puzzled what is going on.  Are you saying the mouse
leaves the screen completely?  On a plain X setup this can not
happen.  If so, your X is probably configured for multiple screens
and the pointer moves to the second screen.  Loss of focus is
normal in that case.  Remove the second screen from the X config
file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on my machine).

>       and loses the focus

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:41:09 -0800

> file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on my machine).

Yes!  Looks like my system was configured for 2 screens:
	Screen	"Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
Taking this line out of /etc/X11/XF86Config did the trick.

(I in fact removed Screen[1] entirely, but changing the above line to
	Screen	"Screen[1]"
and setting
	Option	"Clone" "on"
also worked.)

Thanks!