Subject: FVWM: AMD 64 support

From: Michael White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:47:49 -0600

Hi all,

I've been using fvwm for several years now on various platforms, and I've 
recently upgraded to an AMD 64FX51 processor, running Mandrake 9.2 RC1 for 
AMD 64 (soon to be upgraded to the shipping version).  The stable RPM version 
of fvwm wouldn't install because it did not look for the 64 bit libraries, so 
I built the 2.5.8 version.

The good news is that it's usable.  It's never crashed, and most applications 
seem fine.  The bad news is that some parts are a bit buggy.  Being 2.5.8, 
I'm not sure which parts are buggy due to it being an unstable version versus 
buggy due to being compiled for 64 bit.

Is there anyone else out there using a similar setup?  Is there any interest 
or forum for me to bring up these bugs?

Some of the things I'm seeing:

- Mouse stays as "busy clock" on empty desktop
- "FvwmButtons" icon never leaves docking panel (never finished running?)
- Cannot click on buttons in docking panel to (de-)iconify applications
- Some applications can't be moved, iconified, or resized (acroread, 
openoffice)

Thanks in advance.
-- 
Michael White         "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
                       fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:59:44 +0000 (GMT)

--- Michael White <[email-masked]> wrote: 

[..snip..[

> Some of the things I'm seeing:

To be honest, I fail to see the logic between architecture type and
stability in this instance.

> - Mouse stays as "busy clock" on empty desktop

Style WaitCurosr foo

> - "FvwmButtons" icon never leaves docking panel (never finished

You'll have to be more specific here. There's a lot about FvwmButtons in
the FAQ.

> - Cannot click on buttons in docking panel to (de-)iconify applications

Re-assign their behaviour then.

> - Some applications can't be moved, iconified, or resized (acroread, 

If they're being stubborn:

Style OpenOffice NoPPosition

If that doesn't help, use FvwmEvent.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:13:33 +0000

> buggy due to being compiled for 64 bit.

It is theoretically possible that some fvwm changes broke a 64 bit
architectures support.

However, your problems may probably have another explanation.

> - Mouse stays as "busy clock" on empty desktop

Can you reproduce this "busy clock" if you run "fvwm -f /dev/null", i.e.
fvwm without any configuration? If no, then invistigate "Wait" commands
in your configuration.

> - Cannot click on buttons in docking panel to (de-)iconify applications

What is "docking panel"?

> - Some applications can't be moved, iconified, or resized (acroread, 

For each such application, send the output of "xwininfo -size" to see
whether the application indeed requested such size/position hints.

Also, try to run these applications with another window manager
(including an older fvwm version).

Regards,
Mikhael.