Subject: FVWM: Application on different desktops

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:57:52 +0100

Hi there,

Using acrobat reader with several documents  spreading  over
several  desks  gives a strange behaviour. When a dialog box
is opened  say  to  save  a  file  the  dialog  box  appears
sometimes  on  another  desktop  where  are  also windows of
acrobat reader. 

Is there an fvwm option to avoid this? I would like that the
dialog boxes open on the actual desk.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive your mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:43:24 +0100

> sometimes  on  another  desktop  where  are  also windows of

Here is the explanation from the code (placement.c):

  /* Select a desk to put the window on (in list of priority):
   * 1. Sticky Windows stay on the current desk.
   * 2. Windows specified with StartsOnDesk go where specified
   * 3. Put it on the desk it was on before the restart.
   * 4. Transients go on the same desk as their parents.
   * 5. Window groups stay together (if the KeepWindowGroupsOnDesk
   * style is used). */

Because of #4, dialog windows appear on the same desk as the
transientfor window.  I agree this can be confusing when you close
the application and save dialogs pop up on random desks.

An option controlling this would be in order, but I think it
would not help a lot.  Normally you do not want popups appear on
the current desk when the application is somewhere else.

I suggest you exploit either #1 or #2 from the list above.  This
is probably the easiest:

  Style <annoying window name> StickyAcrossDesks

> dialog boxes open on the actual desk.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:31:00 +0100

Hi there,

On 13 Jan 2004 at 10:43:24 +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:

Thanks for that explanation.

> ...

This is the one. :-\ 

> ...

I see. One should distinguish between transient windows
which apear automatically e.g. error messages and transient
windows which were opened by the user e.g. dialog windows.
But this seems to be a general problem (not of fvwm).

> ...

>  Style <annoying window name> StickyAcrossDesks

Well, the window's name is just "Open" or "Save". So not
very suitable for a special style.

As a workaround I disabled

Style * SkipMapping

to see the window at least ;-) For the first time I was
confused since the window apeared on another desk and the
viewport did not change. 

I used SkipMapping since I got an application which pops up
small window during compilation to show what it does
(Compiling, Linking, ...)

Thanks.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:51:26 +0100

> very suitable for a special style.

Use FvwmIdent on the window.  Maybe it has a suitable class or
resource name.  In acroread, the open dialog has the resource
name "OpenDlg".

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^