Subject: FVWM: Re: Mozilla/Firebird FullScreen issues

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:47:08 +0100

Hello,

First some clarifications. 2.5.8 support the ewmh way to go full screen
(_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN) and 2.5.7 does not. I can reproduce the
mozilla disappearing problem with 2.5.7, I cannot with 2.5.8.

One point is that an application (here mozilla) can use different
method to go full screen regardless the fact the wm support or not the
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state. If you switch from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8 with
a restart, mozilla can think that 2.5.8 does not support the
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state.

About layer. It will be good to have fullscreenLayer style, we have
not. But you should try:

	Style * EWMHUseStackingOrderHints

which puts (ewmh) full screen window at the default top layer.

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:05:42PM +0530, Kingsly John wrote:
> +++ Mikhael Goikhman [2004-01-04 13:34:36]:
> 
> > > 
> > > Try hitting F11 multiple times... I have been unable to go past 6-7 hits on
> > > Mozilla 1.4!
> > 
> > Pressed F11 100 times in Mozilla 1.4, it does not disappear.
> > 
> > Just a bad repositioning/jump to +0+0 on un-fullscreen.
> 
> I notice that too (the titlebar gets placed outside the screen).
> 

Yes, when I test this my conclusion was that this is a mozilla bug
(mozilla ask this, maybe there is a style workaround).

> > > This is what fullscreen looks like on my machine...
> > > 
> > > http://kingsly.net/mozfull.png - 238KB
> > 

For me this is 2.5.7?

> > Then we use either different fvwm or mozilla versions.
> > 
> > Do you see empty output or a line with _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN when you
> > run the following in xterm:
> > 
> >   xprop | grep _NET_WM_STATE
> > 
> > and select a full-screen mozilla?
> 
> There is no output on both Mozilla and Firebird.
> 

Again, for me this is 2.5.7.
 
> > > (and I just noticed that gkrellm remains on top of Mozilla too! ref. other
> > > thread.)
> > 
> > It seems that currently a window in FULLSCREEN state is simply raised, I
> > think it may be placed into layer 10 too, or this may be configurable.
> 
> This functionality has changed between 2.5.7 and 2.5.8 .. in 2.5.7 both
> mozilla and tvtime go fullscreen and on top... but in 2.5.8 gkrellm stays on
> top of both the apps.
>

See the intro of this mail.

Regards, Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:24:38 +0530

> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state.

This is what I was doing until now... I now added "fvwm2" to the last line of
my .xinitrc and exited fvwm... and a new instance started up.

Now Mozilla/Firebird disappear more frequently than before... and even when
they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

> which puts (ewmh) full screen window at the default top layer.

This helped fix the problems of gkrellm staying on top of other full screened
applications.
[ie., tvtime now runs on Layer 4 in windowed mode, and Layer 6 in full screen.]

But is it really necessary to add that line because everything was working
fine on 2.5.7 even without that extra line. Since this is "expected behavior"
wouldn't it be better if it was turned on by default ?(ie., not having to
turn it on in the config.

Kingsly

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:11:01 +0000

> they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

Neither Olivier nor me may reproduce decorations and disappearing.

Are you sure you run the final 2.5.8 or later and not something else?

Please start FvwmConsole and report what is the FvwmConsole version
you see, then execute this command in FvwmConsole and report what is
the fvwm version you see:

  Exec xterm -e 'echo "$[version.line]"; sleep 30'

Please use "fvwm", not "fvwm2" to start fvwm, and verify your $PATH.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:23:20 +0100

> they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

Does someone else that is sure to run 2.5.8 and mozilla 1.4 or
a recent Firebird can reproduce this? 
 
> turn it on in the config.

It does not work fine with 2.5.7. For example, with gnome-terminal 2
and others gnome2 apps full screen does not work at all. Also, mozilla
some time disappeared :o/

I do not know what is the "expected behavior" about layer of
fullscreen window. I do not think that there is an expected behavior
at all about layer of windows regarding theirs type. This depends on
the apps and of your general setup. Here, everything is configured so
that every windows has layer 4. For example, when I use mozilla in
fullscreen mode I may want to take a look to my download manager or to
gkrellm. As everything as layer 4 I just have to raise/lower.  There
is also an interesting complaint from a gimp developer and gimp
fullscreen with some wm which use the "expected behavior" (moreover as
it is the/a non configurable wm you cannot "fix" the problem).

I am sure that you can configure fvwm to use layer and get a
functional desktop. Typically, one want to have certain app as the
TaskBar or gkrellm on top. This is fine for me.  However, I do not use
layers because I think that there is a more powerful method which is
conditional auto-raise:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: *
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: PassId
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: enter_window FuncFvwmEnterWindow
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: leave_window FuncFvwmLeaveWindow

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmEnterWindow
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmEnterWindow
+ I WindowId $0 (gkrellm) Raise
+ I WindowId $0 (FvwmTaskBar) Raise
+ I WindowId $0 (FvwmPager*) Raise
# ...etc

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmSpecialRaise
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmSpecialRaise
+ I All (gkrellm) Raise
+ I All (FvwmTaskBar) Raise
+ I All (FvwmPager*) Raise
# ...etc

# a key binding for FuncFvwmSpecialRaise

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmLeaveWindow
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmLeaveWindow
# one may want to auto lower certain app (or cancel scheduled
# cmd)

This is just the idea, one may use the schedule cmd to get a delay.

When you have no layer you have your full desktop to work with normal
applications. With conditional autoraise some special apps are easy to
access/view.

This is just the way *I* work with my computer. Again, one can prefer
layers. The good point is that I hope fvwm can be configured to fit
the needs of most users. Also, I think that using a non configurable
wm has some advantage for some users.

Regards, Olivier