Subject: FVWM: flipping/dragging window to next/previous desktop

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:40:17 +0200

Does anyone happen to have the code handy to enable flipping to the
next/previous desktop or dragging a window to the next/previous desktop
by going off the top/bottom of the screen?
I want the same behavior with desktops in this case as with pages.
I have 4 rows of 4 pages each row in its own desktop. This enables better
partitioning of the windowlist menu, but I want the dragging
ability. It seems from the man page that this is possible with some
code but doesn't look immediate.
Currently I am using menu items to do this.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:46:54 +0000

> Currently I am using menu items to do this.

I am not sure I fully understand your setup and you requirements, but
I think the following should answer your question.

To be able to drag windows into other pages using interactive Move
command, but not switch to other pages in other situations, use something
like:

  EdgeScroll 0 0
  EdgeResistance 1000 10

You can't drag a window using interactive Move command into other desks.
However you may drag a mini window inside the pager into other desks.

Another way to do this is to use MoveToDesk commands in key/mouse
bindings or menu items.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:57:23 +0200

> command, but not switch to other pages in other situations, use something

I already have that set up.

> However you may drag a mini window inside the pager into other desks.

It looks like you can since you can set up the edge of the screen to
perform operations when then mouse is over. The same method that would
allow to show/hide a panel.
Just though someone may have it handy, I'll try to figure out how to
use it.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:16:09 +0000

> Just though someone may have it handy, I'll try to figure out how to

No, you can't.

No fvwm commands and functions may be executed in the middle of the
interactive Move, including EdgeCommand functions if this is what you
meant.

If I understand you correctly you have 16 pages on every desk (64 pages
with 4 desks). Do you really need so many empty pages?

The desks/pages philosophy is: every desk has its own windows that may
ocuppy several pages and its own focused window. You may move windows
from one desk to another, but if you want to do this all the time, then
you probably do not want to use desks, just use one desk with many pages.

Regards,
Mikhael.