Subject: FVWM: trackfocus?

From: Joolz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:43:29 +0100

Once again a happy new year, and another question :-)

My FVWM setup gives me 4 screens (I hope this is the correct term). I
arrange tasks so they are logically grouped on the different screens,
and I can switch between the screens with key combinations.

One problem: I'm on screen 1, typing in mutt, goto screen 2 to in
order to lookup something in Google, start typing and noting happens
(well maybe I'm destroying stuff on screen 1 :-)

IIRC there used to be a tool called FvwmTrackFocus.pl that would
enable you to automatically set focus to a window on the screen you're
on (I never got it working though). Google doesn't tell me a lot about
this, does it still exist? (or better yet) has it been integrated?

Thanks!

-- 
08:36-08:43
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) Linux 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:45:30 +0000

On 01 Jan 2004 08:43:29 +0100, Joolz wrote:
> 
> My FVWM setup gives me 4 screens (I hope this is the correct term).

X uses the term "screen" to mean something different.

Looking into your screenshot from another message, you use one virtual
desk with 4 virtual pages each (or more precisely, 2x2 pages).

> I arrange tasks so they are logically grouped on the different screens,

If you switch from the one desk with 4 pages layout to the 4 desks with
one page layout (arranged as 2x2 in FvwmPager, with or without desk
labels), you get the focused window remembered for each desk separately.

> this, does it still exist? (or better yet) has it been integrated?

If you speak about the module that Google returns on "FvwmTrackFocus"
query, then you need 2.5.x in order to run it. It is not integrated.

Just tried it with 4 desks, 2x2 pages each, seems to work, although I
don't quite like the fact that the window under pointer may end up non
focused, instead the previously focused window on that page is forced.
Probably good if you use keyboard to switch desks/pages, but not mouse.

Please always specify your fvwm version in every message. Do not imply
that others remember/didn't delete your other messages. Another reason is
that you may run several fvwm versions at home and at work, and you may
just switch fvwm versions between your messages to the list, noone knows.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Joolz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:12:03 +0100

> [Mikhael Goikhman schreef op 03-01-2004 14:45 +0000]
>
> Looking into your screenshot from another message, you use one
> virtual desk with 4 virtual pages each (or more precisely, 2x2
> pages).
> 
> > I arrange tasks so they are logically grouped on the different
> > screens, and I can switch between the screens with key
> > combinations.
> > 
> > order to lookup something in Google, start typing and noting
> > happens (well maybe I'm destroying stuff on screen 1 :-)
> 
> If you switch from the one desk with 4 pages layout to the 4 desks
> with one page layout (arranged as 2x2 in FvwmPager, with or without
> desk labels), you get the focused window remembered for each desk
> separately.

I've been trying for some time now but can't get it to work. My
original setup is this:

DesktopSize 2x2

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmPager 0 0

What should I change to get the 4 desks with one page setup? Thanks!

***
fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Nov  1 2003 at 17:51:14 with support for:
ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, Xinerama,
XRender, XFT, NLS

On Fedora Core 1

-- 
16:07-16:12

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:23:52 +0000

> What should I change to get the 4 desks with one page setup? Thanks!

  DesktopSize 1x1

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmPager 0 3

  *FvwmPager: Columns 2

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Joolz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:36:39 +0100

> [Mikhael Goikhman schreef op 04-01-2004 18:23 +0000]
<snip>
> > What should I change to get the 4 desks with one page setup? Thanks!

Great, thanks a lot!

-- 
22:35-22:36