Subject: FVWM: WM_WINDOW_ROLE

From: Hans Fugal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:47:24 -0700

I'd like to make my Gaim conversation window sticky, but not the buddy
list. Gaim sets 

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "gaim", "Gaim" 

for all its windows, and claims it's doing The Right Thing as you can
read here: 

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q20

So I need to be able to set style based on WM_WINDOW_ROLE. How do I go
about doing this?

-- 
 .O.  Hans Fugal            | De gustibus non disputandum est.
 ..O  http://hans.fugal.net | Debian, vim, mutt, ruby, text, gpg
 OOO                        | WindowMaker, gaim, UTF-8, RISC, JS Bach
---------------------------------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint: 6940 87C5 6610 567F 1E95  CB5E FC98 E8CD E0AA D460
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:34:16 +0000

> So I need to be able to set style based on WM_WINDOW_ROLE. How do I go

It is currently only possible to define different window styles based on
window name, class, resource and id.

Does Gaim also set the same window name (WM_NAME) for all its windows?
If this is the case, then ask them to fix this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Hans Fugal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:21:48 -0700

/* Quoth Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
   on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 at 00:34 +0000
   in <[email-masked]> */
> If this is the case, then ask them to fix this.
 
For the buddy list window:
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Buddy List"

For the conversation window:
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Jacob"
(it changes depending on who the conversation is with)

So I suppose I could do something like the following?

Style Gaim Sticky
Style "Buddy List" NoSticky

Are they really doing the right thing by not using a different resource?
Or has everyone done the wrong thing for so long that few window
managers support the WM_WINDOW_ROLE method? (I've had the same trouble
with WindowMaker in the past)

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:27:32 +0000 (GMT)

> Style "Buddy List" NoSticky

That should work. If you get any problems you might consider switching to
FvwmEvent
 
> Are they really doing the right thing by not using a different resource?

It depends on how the program is written and whether the programmer(s) in
question look at the ICCCM for guidelines.

> with WindowMaker in the past)

It's not that they don't support WM_MODULE_ROLE, it is just that it is
easier to depict windows based on class/name.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

________________________________________________________________________
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:39:59 -0500

Hans Fugal <[email-masked]> writes:
> WM_NAME(STRING) =3D "Buddy List"
> 
> WM_NAME(STRING) =3D "Jacob"

WM_WINDOW_ROLE is for uniquely identifying windows for session
management.

I don't think they are doing the right thing.

Taking another look at this from the user perspective,
you have "gaim" windows, then you have "buddy list" or "conversation"
windows.  You don't need to resort to a third level of identification
of your windows.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]