Subject: FVWM: Transparency with fvwmbuttons

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 03:37:38 +0100

Hello list,
I want to use FvwmApplet-DigitalClock from fvwm-themes and I made it
transparent and with nice antialiased fonts. Now I want but it in
fvwmbuttons, but there it has the background of the area, where the
script was started and not where it is now. To make it clearer, you can
look at http://doppelhertz.homelinux.org/transparent-error.png in the
lower left corner. So how do I either start the script in its place, or
how can I solve the problem?

Best regards
	Klaus

--
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
	  Let's see just how ugly they think it is when they have a few
	  bulletholes in them. 
 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 21:32:29 +0000

> how can I solve the problem?

This is answered in FAQ (see transparency questions). Use:

  Style Fvwm* ParentalRelativity

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:25:29 +0100

>   Style Fvwm* ParentalRelativity

I allready tried that, it seems not to work - same result. What could
I have done wrong?

regards
	Klaus

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:07:43 +0000

> I allready tried that, it seems not to work - same result. What could

Impossible to say without seeing your configuration.

Works for me with this config (copy and paste into FvwmConsole if you
don't believe):

  Colorset 23 Transparent, fg black
  Style FvwmButtons ParentalRelativity

  DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtons-Test: *
  *FvwmButtons-Test: Geometry 100x100+100+100
  *FvwmButtons-Test: Colorset 23
  *FvwmButtons-Test: (Swallow "FvwmApplet-DigitalClock" \
    `FvwmScript FvwmApplet-DigitalClock 23`)

  FvwmButtons FvwmButtons-Test

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:35:04 +0000

>   FvwmButtons FvwmButtons-Test

Ok, I think that I can reproduce your problem if I redefine Colorset 23
above to use RootTransparent instead of Transparent and restart
FvwmButtons. Then the background of the swallowed part is drawn
incorrectly, it is refreshed correctly when FvwmButtons is moved.

So the temporary solution for you is to use a colorset with "Transparent"
(like above) for swallowed modules and a colorset with "RootTransparent"
for FvwmButtons.

I suppose this initial drawing problem when swallowed modules use
RootTransparent (but not Transparent) may be fixed. Just like another
problem, refreshing FvwmButtons after WindowShade when FvwmButtons uses
Transparent colorset (but not RootTransparent).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:57:07 +0100

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:35:04AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> RootTransparent (but not Transparent) may be fixed.

Fixed in this case (Script), I cannot reproduce the problem with others
modules, can you?

> Just like another

>From FvwmTheme man page in the Transparent section:

... setting  the  WindowShadeShrinks  style  may  help ...

:o)

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 02:56:31 +0100

Damn,
the mailer on my other computer somehow does not work. :-(

BUT: you helped me and everything works now.
thank you.

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 03:05:33 +0100

> Fixed in this case (Script), I cannot reproduce the problem with others

I don't know, what you mean. I don't know, wheather my changes to the
script (I even don't know anymore, what I changed :-) ) affected this
somehow, but it was a mistake with transparent and roottransparent.
But I send you my version in addition to this mail.

I also modified it to a simple transparent apm-battery-script, but I
don't have it here anymore, because I did that for my girlfriend. :-)
But after I have brazed my own laptops mainboard, I will rewrite it to
an acpi-battery-controll, which I'll send you of course.

Regards
	Klaus