Subject: FVWM: text in window decor set too low

From: Joel Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:47:38 -0500

i'm not quite sure how to explain this.  the symptom is that the text
at the top of every window is set too low, so the top of the
application cuts it off.  this happens for most buttonstyle,
titlestyle i've copied from other examples.  i believe the default
style, i.e. .fvwm2rc is blank as far as buttonstyle goes, is fine.  is
there something i'm missing here?  thanks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:17:25 +0000 (GMT)

--- Joel Smith <[email-masked]> wrote: > 
> there something i'm missing here?  thanks.

Without a screenshot, this is difficult to diagnose, but it sounds to me
like your locale settings are out and so the font that it has defaulted
back to is ugly. What have you got $LANG and $LC_ALL set to? If you're
running debian:

apt-get install locales

and/or:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

I use en_GB.UTF8

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

________________________________________________________________________
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80 http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:10:17 +0000

> there something i'm missing here?  thanks.

You defined a font that does not work well with your TitleStyle Height.

Increase "TitleStyle Height" or "TitleStyle MinHeight" in your
configuration, or remove it completely, so a good title height is used.
Or use a smaller font.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Joel Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:42:48 -0500

> configuration, or remove it completely, so a good title height is used.

Your suggestion worked.  Originally I had

TitleStyle LeftJustified Height 14

I changed it to 

TitleStyle LeftJustified Height 20

but now a separator line cuts the bottom of the text.  it's like the
text moved up but the separator line now has the same relationship
with the text as the top of the window application, i.e. the separator
line touches the bottom of the text the same way the window
application used to.  

I captured a window in a gif, but it's 150K.  Let me know if I should
send it.  Thanks for your help.  
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:14:18 +0000

> line touches the bottom of the text the same way the window

Well, if you insist on using this small decoration image for titlebar,
then you should use my other suggestion - define a smaller font.

Or don't use a decoration that is hardcoded to 14 pixels.
There are several such themes in fvwm-themes that use an image with a
horisontal line at Y=17 if you start to count from the top Y=1. On the
other hand, many themes work reasonably well with any title height.

You can't have both large font and such decorations designed for "title
height 14 or 17 with small font".

It may also sometime (not always) help to change "TitleStyle Pixmap" in
your decoration to "TitleStyle AdjustedPixmap", in 2.5.x.

> send it.

No, You should not send anything larger than a few dozens of Kb to
mailing lists. But you may always post an url if you have a web space.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Joel Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:56:32 -0500

> mailing lists. But you may always post an url if you have a web space.

You were right.  I had to use a smaller font.