Subject: FVWM: xft and 2.5.9 (CVS)

From: Jason White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:07:29 -0600

I'm trying to compile fvwm 2.5.9 from CVS (fetched Jan 3 5:55:41 UTC 
2004) with xft support, but configure shows the following:

configure:6044: checking for xft-config
configure:6062: found /usr/X11R6/bin/xft-config
configure:6075: result: /usr/X11R6/bin/xft-config
configure:6084: checking for Xft - version >= 2.0.0
configure:6182: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/X11R6/include 
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I
/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit-int   
conftes
t.c -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXft -lfreetype -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfontconfig 
-L/usr/X11R6
/lib -lXrender  >&5
In file included from configure:6179:
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:52: parse error before "_XftFTlibrary"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:52: warning: data definition has no 
type or storage class
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:86: parse error before "FT_UInt"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:86: warning: no semicolon at end of 
struct or union
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:89: parse error before '}' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:89: warning: data definition has no 
type or storage class
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:93: parse error before "FT_UInt"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:93: warning: no semicolon at end of 
struct or union
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:96: parse error before '}' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:96: warning: data definition has no 
type or storage class
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:190: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:256: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:262: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:295: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:354: parse error before "XftLockFace"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:354: warning: data definition has no 
type or storage class
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:393: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:399: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:408: parse error before "FT_UInt"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:418: parse error before "XftCharIndex"
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:420: warning: data definition has no 
type or storage class
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:461: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:472: parse error before '*' token
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:493: parse error before '*' token
configure:6185: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1
[...]

I checked Xft.h and it's the same as the stock one from the XFree86 
distribution.  Any ideas on what's causing these parse errors?

Thanks,
-Jason

-- 
Jason White ([email-masked])  http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite
Jabber:[email-masked] <=preferred  IRC:irc.netbsd.org/{jdwhite,jdw}
AIM:jdwhite90125  Yahoo:jdwhite89
GPG KeyID: 0x74CF850D/1F57 465A 1357 BA39 2BEF  5629 6E1C 2B20 74CF 850D
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:55:37 +0100

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:07:29AM -0600, Jason White wrote:
> snip

Your Xft.h does not include freetype/freetype.h. Indeed, Seems that
you use a very recent XFree. In 4.4.0-rc2 Xft.h, the freetype are
included as:

#include FT_FREETYPE_H

and not as

#include <freetype/freetype.h>

FT_FREETYPE_H is defined in freetype/config/ftheader.h which is
included (here) by Xft.h via ft2build.h. Seems that some old version
of ft has no ft2build.h. Maybe 2 versions of freetype2 are installed
on your machine (typically, one under /usr and an other one under
/usr/X11R6) and this leads to various problems. You may try to use the
--with-freetype-prefix= or the --with-freetype-exec-prefix= options to
configure so that the good freetype2 includes are used.

Regards, Olivier