Subject: FVWM: Shaped window?

From: Philipp Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:32:50 +0100

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this is a fvwm issue, but... Well, I've got gkrellm
running, and it went pretty fine until my upgrade to fvwm 2.5.8
(that's why I guess it's an fvwm issue). What happens is that the
gkrellm window would show up for 1/10 of a second or so and
vanish. The process is still running, but I can't see the
window. There is an X message saying

_cdim: --- shaped window 0x0814a3a0 'gkrellm' 

on the console where I started X. I can find something about shaped
windows in fvwm on the net, but nothing seems to mention my
problem. Anybody knows what's going on? I'd be grateful for any
hint. My system has X 4.3.0, fvwm 2.5.8, kernel 2.4.23-pre5... 

Cheers
Philipp
-- 
********************
Philipp Frank
Grevener Strasse 158
48159 Muenster
Tel: 0251 265 37 81
www.pipsfrank.de
********************

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:43:09 +0100 (CET)

> hint. My system has X 4.3.0, fvwm 2.5.8, kernel 2.4.23-pre5... 

What do you get if you run:
fvwm-config -s

//Marcus

> 
> Cheers
> Philipp
> -- 
> ********************
> Philipp Frank
> Grevener Strasse 158
> 48159 Muenster
> Tel: 0251 265 37 81
> www.pipsfrank.de
> ********************
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
> 
> mQGiBD9LlHcRBADl5Omb811oT7586Lds1bkNCwDMa2QbpgMB9DU8FNlDqGl3t1p9
> DpoNGkns4f8Ihf7XsMxm9IKREWaqRWmUZZz2GiuGoJBniG9cqWN4wY8f9PrPt7TW
> W5GzmfXFY9k5ePyMFouJj9ADYPORHEJ5fXiKqbIsrIqzxm9Ufeq4afIv3wCg6nLD
> C+CMH39jF7nB9jEeDxCRS40D/1T9nU5gaE265cimolvHLVqvu8TRHMnc9bjXubBQ
> NhZeUUltUn6sz/96GJBzjhhqh6ZpOqXtIya3tK8wcmxWMqPaw7rkua/ZlCNcZFq0
> z2tySIgcOjPAsrOEfX+7E2agrIuUy6R4cCDmLHSPikYBjYSWga3/eE1ezSDBq0Xy
> 4L9qA/9Pf8dXmzOW6RvKFDX138w6Rz+vcUtW/nDd5zIe0zFmJwq4htSMA9fEGDy2
> Ef+bvdNGXBTWMicoHjLIOgLK9SK/W/e8gsAAM8hn0ThlMkfcwwfMLJHzySWztAU0
> qVf0SgEdFGXl8+ay6DUZhZjzhPCS4aB1i6io8mqe8WxB7kvazbQkUGhpbGlwcCBG
> cmFuayA8UGhpbGlwcC5GcmFua0B3ZWIuZGU+iF4EExECAB4FAj9LlHcCGwMGCwkI
> BwMCAxUCAwMWAgECHgECF4AACgkQlGdrUBqJge/oZgCeL/lmCgYTHSJWncPrNzv2
> NEupL8QAmQE3ZyHcoYJFK7CH+iNvubPGuf90uQENBD9LlHgQBACyWWVZkfOxtUlj
> Bw8mfTLiKyuCHVPwyzt10TnSWS5TLXzt2x+rUmW+wukLOMUZ/Fmxr4oMkSrqdIZ6
> p+3i3ZfLfR71QWWiLR1Uj3QD590Mu0aR9OKoW1FGLgwLw3O5nS+ABREQb+Myj2yH
> F6qXsKtJHOavjwQronw/kZxrMDY+7wADBQP7BsX6hDPjnI5/ZJgB926M328gFTnW
> awWgzxcGWWwtK1r/eOefB+g1JMcEny34hetY5l2Cs86/KmqkKFsVyGZuKzWphEsS
> amEvKTsfdM/F84jCDBR5wUv2XbeVkeElS6yX8YUd4bnVhpiysLOxLtZTQkA+mzT0
> AqOMePL49VWb0fWISQQYEQIACQUCP0uUeAIbDAAKCRCUZ2tQGomB7/VQAJ9h4R0r
> BjHY3WswIwttM22i8oQE8wCgsdIy7ahu4TENPA1hkyLEvRGzr0w=
> =Mp3R
> -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
> 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Philipp Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 00:43:32 +0100

> What do you get if you run:

It says

gettext
gtk
gdk-imlib
gnome-libs
perllib
png
readline
shape
shm
sm
xinerama
xft
xpm
xrender

Now, something strange is happening. I have 2 gkrellms, and one window
shows up, and one doesn't. Both are running, and for both I get the
"shaped window" message I mentioned...

Thanks for helping, cheers
Philipp

-- 
********************
Philipp Frank
Grevener Strasse 158
48159 Muenster
Tel: 0251 265 37 81
www.pipsfrank.de
********************

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:26:18 +0100

> _cdim: --- shaped window 0x0814a3a0 'gkrellm' 

That's just a debug message.  You problem has nothing to do with
the window being shaped.

gkrellm has the nasty habit of storing its window position between
to starts.  Once the window appears, gkrellm moves it to some
off-page location.  That usually happens if you kill the window
while you are viewing a dfifferent page.  For example, if the
window is at +0+0 on the top left page, and you are viewing page
(1 0), then kill gkrellm, it's real position on the display is
+<-display width>+0.  When you start the application next time, it
moves itself to the left of the actual screen.

You should disable this "feature" in gkrellm (right click on the
gkrellm title, the disable "Remember screen location ...".

> hint. My system has X 4.3.0, fvwm 2.5.8, kernel 2.4.23-pre5... 

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Philipp Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:13:24 +0100

> gkrellm title, the disable "Remember screen location ...".

Thanks for that suggestion, but ... the issue is, the window vanishes,
and really fast, so I have no chance to right click on it or so. In
the config files, I didn't find such an option, and the man page
doesn't mention it...

I even deleted the configuration files, I commented out the entries
from the .fvwm2rc regarding gkrellm, but nothing helped... I think
I'll recompile gkrellm and see if I can get some debug-output, thanks
anyway :)

Cheers
Philipp

-- 
********************
Philipp Frank
Grevener Strasse 158
48159 Muenster
Tel: 0251 265 37 81
www.pipsfrank.de
********************

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:25:59 +0000

> I'll recompile gkrellm and see if I can get some debug-output, thanks

Do you see any gkrellm when you press Alt-Tab or when you press
Alt-Shift-Tab with the following binding:

  Key Tab A SM WindowList Root c c OnlyListSkip, NoDeskSort, SelectOnRelease

Choose gkrellm in WindowList and it will be moved to the current page
even if it has large coordinates.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Philipp Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:35:26 +0100

> even if it has large coordinates.

Heck, you're right :) I can choose both instances from the WindowList
and get them back...

So, what's the problem here? I don't have the "Remember Position"
Option enabled in gkrellm, so that's not the problem. I tried quitting
gkrellm directly, but at the next start the same problem would happen
(I usually don't quit gkrellm, I just end Fvwm via the Mouse Menu and
so gkrellm ends as well...). The geometry of the windows is something
like 0x0+3840+0, so that's where they are, but how can I make them
stay on the right page?

Thanks for you help, fvwm is great!

Cheers
Philipp

-- 
********************
Philipp Frank
Grevener Strasse 158
48159 Muenster
Tel: 0251 265 37 81
www.pipsfrank.de
********************

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:49:05 -0500

Philipp Frank <[email-masked]> writes:
> >=20
> >   Key Tab A SM WindowList Root c c OnlyListSkip, NoDeskSort, SelectOnRele=
> ase
> >=20

Try changing the Remember Position and then saving your config.
In my:

~/.gkrellm/user_config

I have a line that reads:

save_position 0

I think that is what you need.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Philipp Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:04:52 +0100

> I have a line that reads:

Yeah, I have that, too. Doesn't help, though...

Thanks anyway, cheers
Philipp

-- 
********************
Philipp Frank
Grevener Strasse 158
48159 Muenster
Tel: 0251 265 37 81
www.pipsfrank.de
********************

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:23:59 +0000

> Yeah, I have that, too. Doesn't help, though...

Exit all gkrellm windows and execute this line in FvwmConsole:

  Restart fvwm -f /dev/null

If gkrellm starts normally now, this means you have something about
gkrellm in your fvwm2rc, otherwise it seems like a gkrellm problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:48:10 +0100

> Yeah, I have that, too. Doesn't help, though...

Hmph.  You can try to forbid gkrellm to do anything with its own
windows.  Try the following styles in this order:

  Style gkrellm NoPPosition

If that does not help, add

  Style gkrellm NoUSPosition

...

  Style gkrellm GNOMEIgnoreHints

...

  Style gkrellm FixedPPosition

...

  Style gkrellm FixedUSPosition

If that still does not help, use xosview ;-)

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^