Subject: FVWM: EwmhBaseStruts

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:33:44 +0100

Hi!

I set EwmhBaseStruts 64 0 0 0 in my .fvwm2rc, but new windows are placed
at the left edge of the screen.

How to prevent anything to be placed there?
-- 
+-[ Kontra, Gergely<[email-masked]> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
| http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely            "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy  |
| Mobil:(+36 20) 356 9656 ICQ: 175564914   poroltoval kellene jarnom" |
+-- Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net --+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:30:22 +0000

> at the left edge of the screen.

I can't reproduce this. Create a minimal .fvwm2rc with 2 or more lines
that shows your problem in one of the latest 2.5.x.

Maybe you start applications like "xterm -g +20+20" or maybe these
applications set position hints themselves, then disable Position hints
for such apps (search for "Position" in the man page).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:10:09 +0100

> that shows your problem in one of the latest 2.5.x.

EwmhBaseStruts 64 0 0 0
Style * MinOverlapPlacement

Regarding to the manpage, placing over a strut has a high cost, but in
the Real World, it behaves different...

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:30:03 +0100

> Style * MinOverlapPlacement

Can somebody comment on this?

Gergo

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:13:12 +0100

> Can somebody comment on this?

Yes, add:

Style * EWMHPlacementUseWorkingArea

By default when fvwm place a window the "struts" which is taken in
account are the struts which come from windows with a strut hint. So
the EwmhBaseStruts is ignored, maybe a design bug. I Will take a look.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:19:45 +0000

> the EwmhBaseStruts is ignored, maybe a design bug. I Will take a look.

Just note that it works without EWMHPlacementUseWorkingArea if one uses
TiledCascadePlacement like myself.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:15:25 +0100

> the EwmhBaseStruts is ignored, maybe a design bug. I Will take a look.

Fixed in the current cvs 

Regards, Olivier