Subject: FVWM: slow opaque window moving

From: Redeeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:08:29 +0100

hi, i am using fvwm 2.5.8 under gentoo linux.
i have configured my fvwm to use opaque moving. but there is a little
problem, when i press the titlebar, and drag with the window, its all
slow, i mean, laggy, it doesent move smooth like in other window
managers, but if i press alt + leftmouse in the middle of the window,
and drags, its 100% smooth. any idea how i make it become smooth when i
just drag by press on the titlebar?

any help apreciated

-- 
Regards, Redeeman
()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail 
/\                        - against microsoft attachments

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:09:01 +0000

> just drag by press on the titlebar?

I think, I can reproduce this, although I should move a window around
really quicky and concentrate my sight to see a difference. Seems like
the move from the titlebar is handled a bit differently. This may or may
not do something with the fact that the titlebar is in ActiveDown state
in one case and in ActiveUp in another. So, one type of move is too slow
and therefore some X events are thrown away, and you see a jumpy effect.

If your configuration makes the problem clearly reproducible without any
concentration efforts, please try to minimize it to several fvwm commands
(run: "fvwm -f minimal-rc" or "Restart fvwm -f minimal-rc") and post it.

Also specify your CPU speed and X video driver (just mention whether they
are fast or slow, mine are slow, so I never see "100% smooth").

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Redeeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:01:45 +0100

> are fast or slow, mine are slow, so I never see "100% smooth").
i can CLEARLY see a difference, i have a nvidia geforce2 ultra, and the
nvidia driver. usually i run seti@home distributed computing, and i
thought it was this who did it, but then i stopped run it, and it
doesent affect it. in all the other window managers i've tried its
springly smooth, both ways. myself, i can think of 2 reasons for this
happen.

there are 2 ways to drag a window.
1: you move the window, and ask all other windows on the screen to
redraw themselves
2: when i press alt + leftmouse the X server do it, and the X server
moves the window, and just saves whats around the window, and redraw it,
so the application doesent need to.

second way is fastest, but you have to allocate some more memory, fair
enough, more memory usage, but in advance performance.
i thought if all the other window managers does it the second way, if
there is something i can do to make my fvwm do it that way too,
although, im not sure i am right on this. i attached my config, my
config is of 2 things, a script in /usr/bin, and my ~/.fvwm, both
attached.'

hope someone can help.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:21:11 +0000

> > (run: "fvwm -f minimal-rc" or "Restart fvwm -f minimal-rc") and post it.

I think I can read here suggesting to post several fvwm commands, not
250Kb of attachements to all mailing list members.

If you need to post your whole large configuration, post an url to it,
but then it is unlikely someone will have a time to use it for
reproducing/testing/fixing the problem.

> nvidia driver

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:39:36 -0500

> reproducing/testing/fixing the problem.

Yeah, it was too big for me too, I just deleted it.

I'm running Fvwm on a 400Mhz machine and I can opaque move
windows just as fast as the pointer moves.  That's using either the
title or any other part of the window.  I can't see any kind of lag.

Redeeman should see if he can reproduce this with a minimal
config.  If so, I'd suspect some issue with saveunders or
backingstore.  If not, he needs to trim down the config file
to find what is causing this.  The posted config file looked
like it might be a fvwm-themes setup.
Maybe he can just tell us which theme this is.

I guess it's possible he has some kind of special binding for
move from the titlebar.  If you do this in FvwmConsole:

Mouse 1 T   A FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX Move

does moving get better?

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Redeeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:27:35 +0100

> (run: "fvwm -f minimal-rc" or "Restart fvwm -f minimal-rc") and post it.
if i do this, i cant reproduce it be 1 reason, i get some strange
config, where opaque moving is disabled with windows of a reasonable
size..