Subject: FVWM: Terminal still focusing on NeverFocus

From: Boy Maas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:48:45 +0100

Quick question about NeverFocus. Why if I open a terminal with style
NeverFocus it still grabs the focus when it pops up ?

Is this controllable. Thx

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:50:34 +0100

> NeverFocus it still grabs the focus when it pops up ?

The style may not apply to the window when it pops up, e.g. if the
window title is set only after mapping the window.  Or the window
takes the focus itself when it maps.  Or you have the "Lenience"
style set and the window asks fvwm to give it the focus.  Without
knowing which application has the problem, I can't be more
specific.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Boy Maas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:14:06 +0100

Its a terminal. Aterm to be specific and I havent set "Lenience"
explicitly.

Greets
-B

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:33:54 +0100

> Its a terminal. Aterm to be specific and I havent set "Lenience"

(please append replies below the quoted text)

With 

  Style aterm NeverFocus

it works as expected for me.  Maybe some other style overrides the
focus policy later?  If you can't figure it out, strip down your
.fvwm2rc as much as possible so that it still happens, and send it
to the mailing list.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Boy Maas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:27:54 +0100

> .fvwm2rc as much as possible so that it still happens, and send it

Ok, theoretically, at wich stage does the Style attaches itself to an instance of the terminal.

Since I am calling fe:

aterm -title popup

and setting the style

Style popup NeverFocus

should attach the NeverFocus style to popup right, or should I say Style
aterm NeverFocus.

-B

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:54:25 +0100

> to an instance of the terminal.

Right when the window is mapped.

> Since I am calling fe:
> 
> aterm -title popup
> 
> and setting the style
> 
> Style popup NeverFocus
> 
> should attach the NeverFocus style to popup right, or should I
> say Style aterm NeverFocus.

That depends entirely on when aterm sets the window title.  Any
decent application sets it *before* mapping the window, and my
version of aterm (0.4.2) indeed works correctly.

Just a quick check:  If you open an FvwmConsole after the aterm
window has been mapped and type "Style popup Neverfocus" therein,
does that work?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^