Subject: FVWM: newbie question

From: Michael Bonner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:22:25 -0800

Hello users,

I use fvwm2, but I essentially inherited it, I know nothing about how to 
use it. All I am trying to do is change the color of my desktop. I have 
tried searching my input files for something that would seem to set this, 
but nothing stands out.

Thanks in advance,
mike bonner

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:31:17 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:22:25AM -0800, Michael Bonner wrote:
> use it.

fvwm has a large man page ...

  $ man fvwm2
  $ man FvwmButtons
  $ man FvwmSomething
  ...

> All I am trying to do is change the color of my desktop.

... and an FAQ that answers many questions:

  http://fvwm.org/documentation/faq/

Or visit

  http://fvwm.org

In this case it's question 6.6:

---------------------------------- FAQ --------------------------------
6.6  How do I set the background with fvwm?

A: Setting the background image is not really part of the window
   manager.  If you are using one of the Linux distributions,
   most likely, some part of the distribution is setting the background
   for you.

   There is a program shipped with fvwm (fvwm-root, previously known as
   xpmroot) that you can use to set the background to an XPM or PNG
   image.  Other programs like "xv", "xli", "xloadimage", "display" and
   "Esetroot", may be used too, they support some image formats that
   fvwm-root does not.

   If you just want a static image on your background, you might invoke
   one of these programs from your .xsession or .xinitrc file.  You can
   also invoke one of these programs from the InitFunction in your
   .fvwm2rc.

   The fvwm module FvwmBacker can be used to change the background
   depending on the desk you are currently on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If fvwm-root does not work, look through your config files for one
of the mentioned programs.

> I have 

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^