Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2/libstroke

From: "Alex BATKO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:33:25 -0500 (EST)

> I don't understand how apt-get may work at all, does not it require an updated
> list of packages to start to work, how did you define this list? Unless I miss
> some apt-get repository that features fvwm-2.4.17 rpm, do not use apt-get, it
> can't help you here.
>
Apt downloads the latest rpm headers and then compares them to my local rpm
header database.

> Amyway, just install one of the libstroke rpms that you may find on the Net
> and you will be fine with "rpm --upgrade fvwm-2.4.17-1.i386.rpm".
>
The fvwm that I have installed is from your website, it's just that when I
installed it, I had to use "--nodeps".  I downloaded it again, just now, and I
ran rpm with "--upgrade" as you suggested, and I got the usual libstroke
dependency failure:

% rpm --upgrade fvwm-2.4.17-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libstroke.so.0 is needed by fvwm-2.4.17-1

> You may find one of the libstroke rpms on our rpm page, should work with any
RedHat version.
What do you mean by "one of the libstroke rpms"... is this some fvwm rpm with
libstroke incorporated into it, or do you mean that there is a libstroke rpm,
with just libstroke, and not fvwm?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:16:27 +0000

> Apt downloads the latest rpm headers and then compares them to my local rpm

Download the latest rpm headers from where?

Anyway, apt-get can't help you, because RedHat does not provide libstroke
package, it does not provide fvwm package either. But you still may
install both if you go to fvwm.org and run "rpm -U libstroke-* fvwm-*".

> > You may find one of the libstroke rpms on our rpm page, should work
> > with any RedHat version.
> 

I mean, if you go to fvwm.org, then to "download", then to "rpm packages"
you get to this page:

  http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/rpm/

There you may find both fvwm-2.4.17-1.i386.rpm and instructions about
installing it (read the last paragraph and visit both links in it).
There is libstroke rpm there that should work fine for you. Or you may
go to fr2.rpmfind.net (don't use rpmfind.net, it is horribly outdated
for some packages) and find other libstroke rpms, that may work well too.

Regards,
Mikhael.