Subject: FVWM: Grabbing window edges and handles

From: Shay Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:05:15 -0600

Does fvwm have any mechanism for making the grabbing of window edges and 
handles any easier? MS Windows, for instance, has a barbell shaped 
cursor which allows a little bit of play when grabbing an edge. I 
believe that Afterstep will "snap" the cursor to a window border.

Anything similar in fvwm?

 -Shay

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:01:37 +0000

On 02 Dec 2003 11:05:15 -0600, Shay Hill wrote:
> handles any easier?

Do you mean Resize defined using Key or Mouse? They have different "feel".

If you bind Resize to window borders using Mouse and make window borders
wide enough (5-7), then resizing is pretty comfortable, I think.

> MS Windows, for instance, has a barbell shaped 
> cursor which allows a little bit of play when grabbing an edge.

You may define 8 different cursors that appear in different corners of
the window border before Resize is started, and one cursor for Resize
itself. See CursorStyle. Any custom cursors are possible, and the latest
XFree86 supports even animated translucent cursors. Is this what you want?

> I believe that Afterstep will "snap" the cursor to a window border.
> 

Nope. The pointer is not currently automatically wrapped to the window
border on Resize. It is not clear to which from the 4 borders it should
be wrapped and to which point inside that border (say, border width 6).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Stein B. Sylvarnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:17:52 +0100

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:05:15AM -0600, Shay Hill wrote:
> Does fvwm have any mechanism for making the grabbing of window edges
> and handles any easier? MS Windows, for instance, has a barbell shaped

That "barbell" is part of the statusbar in windows, and thus not
possible on unix.

> Anything similar in fvwm?
The twm way might be possible.  Hit the appropriate button(s) inside the
window you wish to resize and drag the mouse pointer over the border.
Once you hit the border, the window will start to resize.  Can anyone
confirm/deny this?

--
regards/mvh
Stein B. Sylvarnes
[email-masked]

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:12:13 -0800

> believe that Afterstep will "snap" the cursor to a window border.

   I find it convenient to bind resize to right click/drag on title (and 
have no or almost no borders).

   another option is to bind resize to click/drag anywhere in the window 
with win key modifier (use xev to find out which modifier win key is).

   yet another option is to use non standard button, but that only works 
with some version of fvwm (not sure about the details, there's some 
problem in how X processes the mouse clicks) - I used to have (my 
favourite setup): side button click anywhere in the window - rise/lower, 
side button drag (move) anywhere in the window - move, side button with 
win key modifier drag - resize (it doesn't work with current stable 
version of fvwm, might work with development version).

	erik

---

From: Shay Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:17:50 -0600

Thank you very much to all of you. I found out yesterday that I was 
operating under a small misconception. I never would have guessed that 
the Win98 borders were a full four pixels wide. I thought that the Win98 
window borders were easier to grab than they should be because they are 
wider than they appear due to IMO superior shading. I am going to 
experiment and see how close I can get with fvwm. I have not yet tried 
the MwmBorder style to see if it helps.

My goal is to have an interface which looks as clean as Win98 while 
taking advantage of the increased interface functionality of fvwm, 
ditching the obsolete IMO task bar, and incorporating a full set of both 
keyboard and mouse controls.. To that end, I have incorporated Erik's 
first suggestion (right mouse drag on titlebar) into my .fvwm2rc. Erik's 
Win key suggestion was appealing as well, but I would like to be able to 
distribute my .fvwm2rc file to friends without their having to make 
changes to their .xinitrc.

 -Shay