Subject: FVWM: [newbie query] Alt+Tab (have already consulted FAQ - no go)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 04:59:56 -0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I am new to FVWM (I chucked KDE bcos the feature blot was a major pain.)
However, I am facing a problem. I referred to the FAQ before coming here.
I apologize if this question has been already asked on the mailing list,
which I am sure is the case (no search facility is given, and I don't have
the resourced to download all the raw archives.)

I desperately need Alt+Tab to take me to the previous window I was working
on (or more generally, cycle in an MRU manner.) The answer to Q3.3 in the
FAQ (http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#3.3) says:
"Starting with release 2.3.15 you can hold the alt key down and  keep
hitting tab.  A single alt-tab selects the previous window."

However, I have fvwm-2.5.8-2. Left Alt+Tab only pops up  a list of windows
open, with the current window being the first on the list. Thus Alt+Tab
[release all] only dumps me where I was. So, to get the job done, I have
to go in for _two_ Tabs after Alt, which is inefficient. How can I get
this done with a single alt+tab?

My specs are given below:

Redhat 9 on a Celeron 733 MHz
XFree86-4.3.0-2.90.43
fvwm-2.5.8-2
fvwm-themes-0.7.0-2
fvwm-themes-extra-0.7.0-2
Current theme: Afterstep (also tried other themes - same result)

All the above installed using rpm. Additional packages for fvwm obtained
from:
http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/rpm/support/

Kindly help me out.

Regds,
Kris Rao.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:20:19 -0700

> the resourced to download all the raw archives.)

for searching the archives try
http://www.mail-archive.com/index.php?hunt=fvwm

> this done with a single alt+tab?

I think your looking for:

Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd IconifiedAtEnd

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:56:09 +0200

> Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd IconifiedAtEnd

Tried this as I was looking for this functionality too and it seems
that WindowList is quite stubborn at sorting my window list so this
doesn't seem to work.
Tried to remove all menustyle commands from the setups and even destroy
the windowlist menustyle doesn't seem to help.
What am I missing?

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 02:49:58 +0000

> the windowlist menustyle doesn't seem to help.

WindowList CurrentAtEnd, IconifiedAtEnd, NoGeometry

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Micha Feigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:38:34 +0200

> WindowList CurrentAtEnd, IconifiedAtEnd, NoGeometry

That was close, but I finally figured out the problem. Even with no
Geometry the list is still sorted by desktop (although not by page) so
everything works fine as long as I stay on the first desktop, windows
on other desktops aren't moved to the top
the two options that I found usefull:
Show windows on all desktops:
Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd IconifiedAtEnd NoDeskSort
Show windows only on the current desktop:
Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd IconifiedAtEnd CurrentDesk

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:38:27 +0000

> Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd IconifiedAtEnd CurrentDesk

This is incorrect syntax. The optional named options should always be
separated by commas. The comma-less syntax may be removed one day.

The correct syntax is this:

  WindowList Root c c NoDeskSort, SelectOnRelease "", CurrentAtEnd

Here "Root c c" is a menu hint, not an option, so it should go without a
comma, all options should be comma separated. This is correct syntax too:

  WindowList (CurrentDesk) Root c c NoDeskSort, CurrentAtEnd, IconifiedAtEnd

  WindowList (CurrentPage) NoDeskSort, CurrentAtEnd, IconifiedAtEnd

Regards,
Mikhael.