Subject: FVWM: grouping windows in WindowList

From: Anupam Kapoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 05:55:40 -0800

hi all,

is it possible to group windows in a WindowList ? i.e. all emacs
instances together, all xterms together etc. and what would be really
nice is to have a WindowList something akin to normal menu stuff (with
window mini-icons !) etc. so we have an emacs icon which expands into
all emacs instances etc.

can you please let me know on how to achieve this ?

kind regards
anupam

-- 
...mathematicians do it smoothly and continuously or discretely in groups and in fields.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:34:14 +0000

> can you please let me know on how to achieve this ?

You can't have one icon occupying several menu items. But one emacs
mini icon in every consequent menu item should do what you want.
Use SortByResource option. This is what I have, for example:

  Mouse 2  A  SM  WindowList SelectOnRelease "" \
    SortByResource, NoDeskSort, NoGeometry, NoHotkeys

You may also group applications into sections by any criteria (name/class
regular expressions) using FvwmWindowMenu module, then application
sections are separated from each other using horisontal line. But this
module has some issues yet. Maybe in the future FvwmWindowMenu will
support section submenus and showing only the first application icon per
section (if its author or someone else adds these features).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:15:50 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Mikhael Goikhman thusly...
> > instances together, all xterms together etc.
> 

You could also try FvwmIconMan & define the Sort* variables as you
like (to group similar windows).  Here is mine...

  DestroyModuleConfig  FvwmIconMan:  *
  *FvwmIconMan:  UseWinList     true
  *FvwmIconMan:  DrawIcons      false
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sort weighted
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   1 class=XTerm title=toor*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   2 class=XTerm title=*vim*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   3 class=XTerm title=*mutt*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   3 class=XTerm title=*slrn*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   4 class=XTerm
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight   5 class=XTerm title=*tail*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight  10 class=Netscape*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight  11 class=Mozilla*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight  50
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight  80 class=XPerfmon*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Sortweight  90 class=Fvwm*
  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Escape N  quit

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Tab N \
    bif Next 3, gotobutton 0, select, ret, gotobutton Next, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Tab S \
    bif Prev 3, gotobutton -1, select, ret, gotobutton Prev, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Left N \
    bif Prev 3, gotobutton -1, select, ret, gotobutton Prev, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Right N \
    bif Next 3, gotobutton 0, select, ret, gotobutton Next, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Up N \
    bif Prev 3, gotobutton -1, select, ret, gotobutton Prev, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  key Down N \
    bif Next 3, gotobutton 0, select, ret, gotobutton Next, select

  *FvwmIconMan:  Action  Mouse 0 N \
    sendcommand "Iconify off" , sendcommand Raise , sendcommand Focus , \
    sendcommand "WindowShade false" , sendcommand "WarpToWindow 50 50"

...you could define an instance of FvwmIconMan to be transient

  DestroyModuleConfig  FvwmIconMan:  transient
  *FvwmIconMan:  transient  ButtonGeometry  250x0
  *FvwmIconMan:  transient  ManagerGeometry 1x0+0+0
  *FvwmIconMan:  transient  Format "%c %t"

...and bind it to a key...

  key l  A   4S  Module FvwmIconMan transient

...see FvwmIconMan(1) for other details.  I do not know or care if
icons will appear as desired.

  - Parv

--

---

From: Anupam Kapoor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:59:02 -0800

>     SortByResource, NoDeskSort, NoGeometry, NoHotkeys
thank you ! this works fine. sorting by resource is very useful !

> section (if its author or someone else adds these features).
thanks for the info ! maybe if i feel too adventurous some day, i
might try hacking FvwmWindowMenu !

kind regards
anupam