Subject: FVWM: suggestion

From: Andrei Mitrofanow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:44:56 +0100

I have a wish for the next fvwm and fvwm-themes.
We should to leave from default include of the xbiff.
This application is very old and also wrong programmed.
For energie save solutions ist this Program not usable, because it make
sequential access of the HD. The HD will never spin down.

I suggest to design a other mechanism.
i.e. usable is the program procmail to run several applicationen, if
mail is received.
Procmail start if mail will be received and if there are a file
~/.procmail or if there are a entry in ~/.forward.

I can also if i receive any Mail (i can even differ by from or subject)
run any application.

i.e. We can change a Icon from FvwmButtons while fvwm is runing.

Is this possible with FvwmButton?
I know it is possible if i use swallow Buttons.
But there must be a extra Program change this Icon.
I would like to prefer a more elegant solution.
I would run a program like this "FvwmCommand IconStyle BlahBlah
new.icon"

Such a solution should also in fvwm and Linux move in.

Any opinions?

Andrei

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:07:39 +0100

> Is this possible with FvwmButton?

Yes, with 2.5.x.

  *FvwmButtons: (Id mail, Title "no mail", Icon no_mail.xpm)
  SendToModule FvwmButtons ChangeButton mail Icon new_mail.xpm, Title "new mail"

See the FvwmButtons man page for more details.

> Such a solution should also in fvwm and Linux move in.

Should what??

> Any opinions?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:13:08 +0000

> Such a solution should also in fvwm and Linux move in.

If I understand you correctly, you want to create or suggest to create an
applet (for example using FvwmScript module) to handle email that may be
swallowed into FvwmButtons.

It is also possible to create a new fvwm module written in Perl that
manages FvwmButtons. For example, see module FvwmThemesPanelManager in
RedmondXP theme in fvwm-themes 0.7.0, it periodically updates date, time,
menus in the panel and manages different panel options using its menus.

Another solution is to use existing applets, like WindowMaker applets.
I think there are some applets to handle email.

If you find a good solution for your needs, tell us.

Regards,
Mikhael.