Subject: FVWM: about menu

From: Marcin G?ogowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:14:43 +0100

hi,
few weeks ago I have asked You what should be done to get the root menu 
disappeaered always when the mouse button is released.
some people wrote that I should use popup instead of menu, so I did 
that, but the popup is not exactly what I would have.
the popup will not work for me, because when I drag the mouse cursor 
with pressed button and after a while I release the button the menu 
stays on top.
I would have rather a menu that is dissappearing than stays.
I know that I can use Esc then ;-), but maybe there is a better solution 
to do this automatically.
this is the last thing that I would like to know to customize fvwm as my 
best wm.
best regards.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:03:49 +0100

> this is the last thing that I would like to know to customize fvwm as my 

Perhaps if you rephrase what exactly it is you are trying to
achieve we might be able to help.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Marcin G?ogowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:15:00 +0100

>achieve we might be able to help.
Sorry for my English.
I want to see the root menu disappeaered always when I release the mouse 
button.
Of course first I am making the menu visible by pushing the mouse button.
The menu has sub-menus.
I can not explain this another way (I tried several times without result).
The fvwm menu or popup menu is good, but I want a menu that will be only 
visible when a mouse button is pressed.
For example - when I push mouse button and drag over the menu, the menu 
want not disappear - I have to click somewhere else or push the escape key.
For example the window list works like I want when I hoose the window 
list by key.
When I release the window list by mouse and drag over the window - the 
menu (window?) stays on top till I click somewhere else.
Sorry for boring mails & bye.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:03:08 +0000

> want not disappear - I have to click somewhere else or push the escape key.

1) If you speak about normal Popup menus bound to Mouse, I already
answered this here:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0310/msg00191.html

If I undersand you correctly, you want to click into any submenu and have
the main menu disappear. This is not possible. Do not click into a
submenu. Click (I mean release the mouse button) outside of the menu, or
in the menu title area if you use mouse buttons 1 and 3 for dragging.

> menu (window?) stays on top till I click somewhere else.

2) WindowList command is a different issue than Menu/Popup.
WindowList is always Menu, it can't be done Popup.

It's not possible currently. Actually, you may try to use FvwmWindowMenu
module instead of WindowList, it supports both Popup and Menu behaviours.
But FvwmWindowMenu is not currently as good as WindowList.

3) Another issue is that you invoke your WindowList using Mouse 2 and
Mouse 2 is used internally to tear off window (convert menu to window
with normal window borders and title). It is possible to disable this
teat off behaviour in 2.5.9 (from cvs), but not in fvwm 2.5.8.

Marcin, I hope you understand that these are completely 3 separate issues.
Please, when you ask next time about menus, specify which case you have
in mind, or better yet, post the relevant Mouse and AddToMenu commands,
so we may try your config too.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:42:59 +0100

> in the menu title area if you use mouse buttons 1 and 3 for dragging.

I committed a patch a minute ago that makes it possible:

  MenuStyle * PopupClose
  mouse 1 r a popup rootmenu nop

You need the latest CVS code for this (or wait for tomorrow's
snapshot or wait for 2.5.9).

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^