Subject: FVWM: possible rpm problem

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:27:21 -0600

There seems to be a problem with the latest source rpms of fvwm and
fvwm-theme.  Running ``rpm -qip'' on them results in ``error: query of
<fvwm or fvwm-themes>.src.rpm failed'' and ``rpm -ivh'' yields no progress hash
marks and no files installed under /usr/src/RPM/S*.  Attempting to
browse into them with mc gives ``Error Inconsistent extfs archive''.
Oh, and I tried downloading from two or three different sf sources as
well and got the same results.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:17:05 +0000

> well and got the same results.

What is your distribution and rpm version?

It works with RH 7.2 and RPM version 4.0.3.

To actually rebuild the binary rpm from source rpm, you should create
one symbolic link at /tmp, this is to work around the problem that
different distributions have different locations of /usr/src/redhat,
/usr/src/RPM and so on.

Anyway, you should try to solve this yourself, since I don't know how to
create a better src rpm for you distro. If you fail, just download fvwm
and fvwm-themes sources (use: cvs checkout -r version-0_7_0 fvwm-themes)
and then "make rpm-dist" after the devel procedure of creating makefiles.
The same for creating debs for different architectures ("make deb-dist"),

Creating rpms from sources (not from src.rpm) is explained on fvwm.org.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:45:54 -0600

> What is your distribution and rpm version?

Mandrake Linux 9.1, rpm-4.0.4

> It works with RH 7.2 and RPM version 4.0.3.

OK.  I usually have no problem querying, mc-ing, installing, or
rebuilding srpms---regardless of whether the srpm is intended for a
particular distribution.  And past srpms for fvwm and fvwm-themes worked
just fine.  That's the only reason I thought there was a problem with
the files.

> different distributions have different locations of /usr/src/redhat,

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the information.

> The same for creating debs for different architectures ("make deb-dist"),

OK, will do.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:31:15 +0000

I actually went to the download page and I see all rpms are corrupted.
The tarballs are ok though (transfered from a different machine).

This should be a bug in ftpd. I always explicitelly set binary mode
(although this should be a default between unices anyway).

I removed all rpms and will retransfer them soon. The release number
will be "2" this time.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:28:59 -0600

> I removed all rpms and will retransfer them soon. The release number

Thanks very much.

> Sorry for inconvenience.

No problem.  Thanks for letting me know.