Subject: Re: FVWM: solaris 9 and fvwm misbehavior

From: Steve Goldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:54:37 -0500

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> said:
> 
> What you describe suggests that at least two applications
> (FvwmPager and fvwm itself) have gone crazy at the same time.
> This is extremely unlikely to happen, since both programs are
> fairly independent of each other.  Chances are good you
> encountered a bug in the X server itself that surfaces under
> obscure circumstances only.  Can you try a different version of
> the X server?  (By the way, most of all the weird, ureproducible
> problems people have are on Sun systems.  This may be a hint that
> the X server isn't very stable).

I don't know where I'd go about getting a different version of the
X server. I have tried patching it to the laterst rev. with no luck.

I don't know if you saw my followup email or not. I've tried several
different versions of fvwm 2.4.x, 2.3.x and until I went back to
2.0.46 they all had the same behavior.

I've been running 2.0.46 for two weeks now and it is perfect. Although
that doesn't exonerate the X server it at least would seem to give a clue
as to what may being tickled. 

The fact that under 2.4.x if I close a window and it disappears
from view but is never removed from the window list would seem to be
a large clue as to at least one aspect of the bad behavior. Since I
don't know how that is supposed to be managed I hoped (so far without
success) that someone aware of the internals could at least point me
to some code to look at and examine under the debugger so I'd have
some chance at understand what is happening.

--
Steve
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:54:57 -0500

> some chance at understand what is happening.

I'm still trying to gain access to Solaris 9 but so far, no go.

I notice you say 2.4.x.  What version of Fvwm are you using?

You previously showed a stack trace from FvwmPager.
Can you print the variables being passed to XTextWidth?

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]