Subject: FVWM: Tray icon

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:35:17 +0100

Hi,

I am curious to know what the normal behaviour is in FVWM when an application
'docks' into the system tray, when there is no real system tray (only
FVWM is running) ?

And what should happen when there is an FvwmButtons running that
swallows an application which docks into the system tray. I get really
weird behaviour there: one time i was able to dock the application, and
to redraw it by unfolding the swallowing panel, but then redrawing was
really messed up, and interaction not really good working. Other times,
FvwmButtons seems to want to swallow it, but it can't, and a press on
the button times out. 

I had all these problems when enabling 'docking' in Psi, and i would like to 
know if it's due to Psi, due to FVWM, or due to the fact that it's just
not nice to dock applications when there is no real system tray and
that swallowing docking applications in panels is also a no-do.

cheers,
Remko
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:44:34 +0100

> that swallowing docking applications in panels is also a no-do.

I really don't know what you mean with "docking" applications.
FvwmButtons handles everything about swallowing itself, and the
application should not even know about it.  I think GNOME and KDE
taskbars/panels define their own docking "protocol", but that is
not supported in any way by fvwm.  "Docking" suggests that the
application asks the container to swallow it, but that can not be
done with FvwmButtons.  You must reserve space for the application
in the FvwmButtons config.

Does that answer your questions?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:31:57 +0100

> I really don't know what you mean with "docking" applications.

I meant an application requesting to put itself in the system tray.

cheers,
Remko