Subject: RE: FVWM: Help! Windows keep dying on me...

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:28:31 -0700

> Dan Espen wrote:
> > 
> > Gregg,
> > 
> > Did you ever file a bug report at Sun?
> > 
> > Ryan has made an attempt.  I think it might help if another customer
> > tried also.
> > 
> > Did you encounter this problem using Sun's X server or was it
> > some other X server?
> 
> Gregg,
> 
> What was the problem you were seeing?  How did the problem 
> arise?  Was 
> rm6 the only application running at the time?
> 
> As Dan said, I have a case open with Sun.  Hopefully we'll make some 
> progress.

Here's my original post from about a year ago:
------------------ START
Running 2.4.7 on Solaris.

We are trying to run Sun's RAID Manager GUI, rm6.  When it runs, it
displays
a box of icons that lets the user launch child GUI processes (similar to
the
CDE App Manager).  FvwmIdent shows all the rm6 GUIs to be class
"OpenInterface", resource "openedit".

Some of the child process GUIs have a Toolbar.  When you roam the mouse
over
one of the toolbar buttons, a popup tooltip is supposed to appear.  What
happens is, you get the tooltip for a few milliseconds, then the child
GUI's
process exits normally (status 0), as if it had received a close request
from the window manager.  Truss reveals no obvious "smoking gun".

I tried using the default (built-in) fvwm2 configuration and got the
same
result.

I went back to my regular configuration and tried using the keyboard
mapping
to move the mouse (Alt + arrow keys).  I can move the mouse over the
toolbar
buttons, and the process stays up, but then, the tooltip never appears.

The rm6 GUIs work fine under olwm, dtwm and twm.  Any suggestions are
very
welcome.
------------------ END

More details:  This was on a SunFire running Solaris 2.8's Xsun server
with all of Sun's recommended patches.  No other GUIs running.

As I mentioned last week, Sun was contacted about the problem but was
disinclined to open a bug report.  They would only agree to open a
"request for enhancement" to be sent to the vendor.  We could have
pressed them for a higher priority action, but we subsequently dropped
RM6 and so didn't pursue it.

Gregg Dameron
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ryan Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:42:02 -0500

> RM6 and so didn't pursue it.

OK, so you were running FVWM on Solaris.  That's the similar thing in 
both of these issues.

I was wondering if I displayed the CP gui to a Sun box and opened RM6 if 
I would see similar results.  I'm still going to try that to see what 
happens.  I can do it both on CDE and on FVWM.  I'll post the results.

Thanks.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:35:07 -0500

> happens.  I can do it both on CDE and on FVWM.  I'll post the results.

Here is a user reporting RM6 doing something similar (not launching)
with Exceed:

http://lists.q-linux.com/pipermail/plug/2002-December/023287.html

Here is one use with the same Exceed problem, then another with
your symptom with KDE:

http://dbforums.com/arch/128/2003/5/765501

(Looks like I put in my 2 cents on that one.)

This one is on a Sparc 20 and he reports font problems:

http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/ssa-managers/2003-February/005009.html

In some of  these cases, the user  reports that the icons don't launch
anything instead of  the main window  disappearing.  It could be
the same bug showing itself in another way.

The font symptom on the Sparc 20 is interesting.

I don't remember seeing any errors when I did my RM6 testing,
but you might want to double check and make sure you have no
errors being generated.

Nowhere did I see any of these problems being resolved.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Ryan Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:48:53 -0500

> Nowhere did I see any of these problems being resolved.

I didn't see any errors.  The only thing I saw was the similar output to 
the truss command you had already posted.  In fact, other than a few 
small differences, it was the same.