Subject: FVWM: app starts with title bar off screen

From: Wendell Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:41:29 -0500

When I start some (but not all) applications, they appear with
the edge of the application's window proper at 0,0 (upper left)
corner of the screen.  That is, the border and title bar is off
the screen.  I need to use the "Window Operation -> Move" to
re-adjust the position of the application so that the title bar
is visible.  I didn't see anything in the fvwm faq (or the
fvwm-themes faq) that describe this.  

Any suggestions as to what this phenomenon is, or how I can
'correct' it so that the applications start with the title bar
visible?

Wendell

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 00:06:23 +0000

> 'correct' it so that the applications start with the title bar

Which fvwm version?

Which applications and their window size hints (run "xwininfo -size")?

Which fvwm configuration (better run fvwm with no configuration)?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wendell Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:22:35 -0500

> Which fvwm version?

(Darn.  I forgot to specify all of this on the original post)

  FVWM version 2.4.15
and
  fvwm-2.4.15-1
  fvwm-themes-0.6.2-1

> Which applications and their window size hints (run "xwininfo -size")?

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1c00029 "Pollo - /home/wendell/tmp/local.xml"
  Normal window size hints:
      Program supplied location: 0, 0
      Program supplied size: 788 by 570
      Program supplied window gravity: NorthWestGravity
  No zoom window size hints defined

It seems to be just java applications, and the "Program supplied
location: 0, 0" certainly looks bad.  Can I override this?

> Which fvwm configuration (better run fvwm with no configuration)?

Is this it?
  exec fvwm-themes-start
or is the configuration something else?

Wendell

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:53:40 +0000

>   No zoom window size hints defined

Theoretically, "Style * NoPPosition" should help. But this is the default
for fvwm-themes, so it is unclear. fvwm 2.5.x has more style options
like FixedPPosition and similar, this may help too.

It is also possible that 2.5.x behaves better regarding Java programs, I
can't say for sure. Maybe others have this Pollo application.

> or is the configuration something else?

Define all additional style lines in file styles-extra as explained in
fvwm-themes FAQ.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:51:29 -0500

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:53:40 +0000
Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Theoretically, "Style * NoPPosition" should help. But this is the
> default for fvwm-themes, so it is unclear. fvwm 2.5.x has more style
> options like FixedPPosition and similar, this may help too.
> 
> It is also possible that 2.5.x behaves better regarding Java programs,
> I can't say for sure. Maybe others have this Pollo application.
> 

	If you upgrade to FVWM 2.5.x, you can try

"Style * FixedPPosition".

This was the only thing I found to help after Sun broke initial window
positioning worse than ever with the 1.4.1 release of Java.

	(I believe Sun's official label for this breakage was "a  fix". Sun
have been finding new ways to break initial positioning in Java since
the beginning of 1998, when bug 4102292 entered their Java bug database.
I haven't looked in about a year, but I'll bet it's still open - along
with about 50 others describing the same problem in slightly different
terms or with respect to different window managers. They just don't seem
to get it.)

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Wendell Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:33:18 -0500

> the beginning of 1998, when bug 4102292 entered their Java bug database.

Yes, it seems to be a Sun+Java 'feature'.  The bug database has
the bug marked as closed/fixed, but it isn't.   Other
workarounds ("AWTapp.geometry:  +70+70" in .Xdefaults and
"Style * FixedPPosition" in my own startup) don't seem to fix
it.  I guess we'll have to wait on Sun fixing java.

Wendell

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:52:36 -0800

I upgraded to fvwm 2.5.8 from 2.5.7.

Now fvwm core dumps when I right click on the root window.

I made no other changes (to .fvwm2rc or otherwise).

Running on FreeBSD 4.8.

Who should I send a bug report to?  What should I send them?

Mark

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 02:09:27 +0000

> Who should I send a bug report to?  What should I send them?

This is a known problem with FreeBSD port. Try to compile 2.5.8 from
fvwm.org sources after reading the discussion on fvwm-workers list.

Also, please always start a new thread on a new topic, don't reply
to some unrelated thread.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:28:58 -0500

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:33:18 -0500
Wendell Turner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > ...bug 4102292 [in] their Java bug database.
> 
> the bug marked as closed/fixed, but it isn't.   

	I'll bet that elicited some choice comments from some of their
long-suffering users. Or perhaps they've just lost interest and given up
on Sun's obtuseness by now. I'll have to have a quick browse through the
database tomorrow.

> Other workarounds ("AWTapp.geometry:  +70+70" in .Xdefaults

	What release of Java are you using? I don't know how the widget
hierarchy is set up, but I did notice that AWTApp and VendorShell no
longer got used for the app's Class and Resource as of 1.4. Both Class
and Resource seem to take their name from the Java class name of the top
level window; e.g., say I have a simple app with a class called MyClass
that extends JFrame (it also happens to be the main() class, but I
don't think that matters), both the Class and Resource will be named
MyClass.

> and"Style * FixedPPosition" in my own startup) don't seem to fix

	Did you upgrade to FVWM 2.5.x? I seem to recall your saying that
you were running 2.4.15. FixedPPosition and some related styles were
only introduced in the 2.5 series.

Cheers,
Bob