Subject: FVWM: quotes as apostrophes

From: Eduardo Alvarez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:03:13 +0000

hello all, 

I was trying to write a script that allowed me to select different mp3's
off a menu, but I'm having trouble with some of the songs, which contain a
single quote as an apostrophe as part of their name.  Is there a way to
tell FVWM to not try and find said quote's partner?  Any help would be
appreciated.

-- 
Eduardo Alvarez			http://www.great-atuin.net/~punga
						(offline, at the moment)
"Stercus, stercus stercus, moriturus sum"
    			-- Rincewind the Wizzard, "Interesting Times"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:19:27 -0400

> tell FVWM to not try and find said quote's partner?  Any help would be

According to the man page, you can escape quotes with the backslash.
So, perhaps:

Exec mplayer X\'s.mp3

If that doesn't help, give us more details.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:21:58 +0300

> tell FVWM to not try and find said quote's partner?  Any help would be

Add:

  | sed "s/'/\\\\'/g"

to the end of your PipeRead. You may need to experiment with the number
of backslashes. Another solution is to put your filenames in double
quotes or backticks if you know the filenames don't have these chars.

Regards,
Mikhael.