Subject: FVWM: Help! Windows keep dying on me...

From: Ryan Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:45:53 -0500

Hello all,

I'm hoping there's a fix for this 'cause I want to stick with FVWM.
Absolutely love the WM.  I'm running on RH9 and was using Bluecurve for
a while (Gnome).  It's alright, but bloated, restrictive, etc.

I "grew up" on Irix, and FVWM was an immediate plus when I saw it many
moons ago.

My problem is this:  I run various applications here at work that are
causing me some issues.  (The sad thing is that they don't cause issues
while running under Gnome.)  Take, for instance, the PolicyEditor window
from Checkpoint Firewall-1.  I have that window up and running, and at
various times while I'm working with it, I receive the following error
in my term, and then the window dies:

Wind/U Error (146): Too many GC's allocated.  Bad match of GetDC/ReleaseDC?
Wind/U Error (124): Function wuSetGCFromDC, could not allocate a GC.

Other issues arise while running that same PolicyEditor window, and then
bringing up RM6 (Sun's RAID manager).  The initial window is OK, but
after opening up any of the other windows (Configuration, Status,
Recovery, etc.) and moving the mouse over one of the buttons near the
top of the window, that window dies.

As you can imagine, this is making it very frustrating to work.

Is there something that I can do during a compile that will prevent this
from happening to these windows?  Is there debugging I can look at to
help find the problem?

This happens with a few other windows.  I'm not sure if they have
anything in common or not.  Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:25:52 -0500

> Hello all,
...
> anything in common or not.  Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Regarding RM6, I spent many hours trying to debug that problem
earlier this year.  I don't remember the details, but you should be
able to find the excruciating details in the archives.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]