Subject: FVWM: solaris 9 and fvwm misbehavior

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:14:28 -0400

I recently upgraded my workstation (SunBlade 1000) to Solaris 9.
The Solaris companion cd actually has fvwm 2.4.3 available as a
installable window manager so I don't have to go thru the usual
hacks to let me use fvwm which is very nice. I previously had
been running 2.0.46 on Solaris 8 with no problems.

One I upgraded I noticed a bunch of problems, windows not refreshing,
pager disappearing, etc. So I first tried building 2.4.3 myself with
less compiler optimization. Same behavior. So I got a copy of 2.4.16,
same behavior. So then I got 2.3.33, same behavior. Before I go back
and try moldy old 2.0.46 I thought I'd try here. I searched the mail
archives back 6monthos or so and found nothing seemingly relevant.
I also tried the bug database. Since some my version of fvwm mess up
I suspect this is really a solaris issue and not fvwm but I'm not
sure what to look for.

Here is my setup:

Solaris 9 update 4, Sunblade 1000, double headed.

With fvwm 2.4.x I see the following strange behavior:

  1: fvwm pager eventually disappears. It core dumps with following
     traceback:

  [1] XTextWidth(0x780018, 0x37bf8, 0x6, 0x7efefeff, 0x81010100, 0xff00), at 0xff231e00 
  [2] DrawGrid(desk = 2, erase = 1), line 1510 in "x_pager.c"
  [3] list_new_desk(body = 0x7), line 944 in "FvwmPager.c"
  [4] process_message(packet = 0x36958), line 510 in "FvwmPager.c"
  [5] My_XNextEvent(dpy = (nil), event = 0xffbffb40), line 1366 in "FvwmPager.c"
  [6] Loop(fd = 0x36400), line 459 in "FvwmPager.c"
  [7] main(argc = 225280, argv = 0xa), line 436 in "FvwmPager.c"

  2: Usually once the pager disappears a window used for confirmation with exmh (the
     What Now? window) which is set for StaysOnTop suddenly decides that Top is Bottom
     and always send the window to the back.

  3: I finally noticed that windows never seem to disappear from the Window-List. By
     now I have a whole lot of windows in the window list! I've wondered if this might
     somehow be the cause of symptom #1.

--
Steve
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:08:27 -0400

> One I upgraded I noticed a bunch of problems, windows not refreshing,

I don't think you are the only one with this problem.
(The refresh problem.)

There's a thread on comp.unix.solaris right now with someone
else with a similar issue, not involving Fvwm.

The posters keep saying, apply all the latest patches, but
last time I checked, all the patches were applied and
it still didn't work.

I think something is broken in the Solaris 9 X server.
Hmm, just noticed your Sun email address.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]