Subject: FVWM: How to Keep window app on different desk, same virtual desktop

From: "Reuben D. Budiardja" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:45:20 -0400

Hello,
I have a 4x4 virtual desktop, and 5 desk on my FVWM. So in my fvwmrc, it's 
something like:

DeskTopSize 4x4
...
AddToFunc "InitFunction" "I" Module FvwmPager 0 4

So in total I have 4x4x5=80 virtual desktops.

What I want is to have my email apps (KMail) to stay on virtual desktop 3 
only, but in all desk. What is the correct 'Style' option?

For example, if I use this style:
Style "gkrellm"   NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip, BorderWidth 0, 
CirculateSkip

this will make 'gkrellm' appears in all virtual desktops, all desks. That is 
*not* what I want, since I only want Kmail to appear on certain virtual 
desktops, all desks.
Can this be accomplished?

I'm using lastest stable fvwm-2.4.x. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
RDB
-- 
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
---------------------------------------------------------
"To be a nemesis, you have to actively try to destroy 
something, don't you? Really, I'm not out to destroy 
Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional 
side effect."
                 - Linus Torvalds -
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:31:28 +0300

> I'm using lastest stable fvwm-2.4.x. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What you call "virtual desktops" is called "virtual pages" in fvwm.

This is not possible in fvwm-2.4.x. In the developement versions use:

  Style KMail StickyAcrossDesks, StartsOnPage 2 0, SkipMapping

You may only make a window sticky on one or all pages across all desks,
not on some pages.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:02:17 +0200

* Oct 14 18:34 Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>:

[...]

> You may only make a window sticky on one or all pages across all
> desks, not on some pages.

I always thought being able to do that would be cool, is there some
technical reason behind that such feature doesn't exists?

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://johan.svedberg.pp.se/

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:28:26 +0300

> technical reason behind that such feature doesn't exists?

The Style and FvwmWindow internal structures have fixed size.
They are already pretty large currently.

With such feature the size would grow infinitely, because there are
theoretically endless (page_nx, page_ny) pairs to be configured per
window. FYI, Sticky, StickyAcrossPages and StickyAcrossDesks are just
3 bits per window (not even bytes).

Most of the window information is transfered to modules like FvwmPager,
(currently about 100 bytes per window on ADD_WINDOW/CONFIGURE_WINDOW)
making the situation even worse when adding such features.

Of course everything is solvable, for example it is possible to limit the
number of sticky pages to 10 per window, but it probably does not worth
it. This would add about 80 bytes of overhead per window even if you
don't use this feature.

Actually there are more problems with this feature, like very unusual
syntax/parsing, not well defined behaviour when DesktopSize is changed.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:50:40 +0200

> technical reason behind that such feature doesn't exists?

Apart from Mikhael's technical explanation - no, there is no real
reason.  Except that it is because nobody has got around coding
such a feature that would involve managing lists of desks/pages on
which the window is visible.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: "Reuben D. Budiardja" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:52:08 -0400

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 12:31 pm, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > I have a 4x4 virtual desktop, and 5 desk on my FVWM. So in my fvwmrc,
> > it's something like:
> >
> > DeskTopSize 4x4
> > ...
<snip>
> What you call "virtual desktops" is called "virtual pages" in fvwm.

Okay. Sorry about the wrong term. I thought I checked the man page to make 
sure I call it correctly :)

> This is not possible in fvwm-2.4.x. In the developement versions use:

Just for clarification, when you say development, you meant 2.5.x that can be 
download from FVWM website? I can still use my 2.4.x rc files can't I? 
(reason: I really don't want to/can't spend time to rewrite them, at least 
for now)

> You may only make a window sticky on one or all pages across all desks,

That's all I need for now, a sticky window on one page acroos all desks. Thank 
you. FVWM rocks!

RDB

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:07:31 +0300

> (reason: I really don't want to/can't spend time to rewrite them, at least 

The short answer for all these questions is yes.

Regards,
Mikhael.