Subject: FVWM: Help! Windows keep dying on me...

From: Ryan Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:11:42 -0500

Hello all,

I'm hoping there's a fix for this 'cause I want to stick with FVWM. 
Absolutely love the WM.  I'm running on RH9 and was using Bluecurve for 
a while (Gnome).  It's alright, but bloated, restrictive, etc.

I "grew up" on Irix, and FVWM was an immediate plus when I saw it many 
moons ago.

My problem is this:  I run various applications here at work that are 
causing me some issues.  (The sad thing is that they don't cause issues 
while running under Gnome.)  Take, for instance, the PolicyEditor window 
from Checkpoint Firewall-1.  I have that window up and running, and at 
various times while I'm working with it, I receive the following error 
in my term, and then the window dies:

Wind/U Error (146): Too many GC's allocated.  Bad match of GetDC/ReleaseDC?
Wind/U Error (124): Function wuSetGCFromDC, could not allocate a GC.

Other issues arise while running that same PolicyEditor window, and then 
bringing up RM6 (Sun's RAID manager).  The initial window is OK, but 
after opening up any of the other windows (Configuration, Status, 
Recovery, etc.) and moving the mouse over one of the buttons near the 
top of the window, that window dies.

As you can imagine, this is making it very frustrating to work.

Is there something that I can do during a compile that will prevent this 
from happening to these windows?  Is there debugging I can look at to 
help find the problem?

This happens with a few other windows.  I'm not sure if they have 
anything in common or not.  Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:49:02 -0700

> That's not acceptable.
> 
> I understand it may be a RM6 problem, or a Checkpoint problem (their 
> windows cause the same behavior), or an EMC problem (their 
> GUI seems to 
> have problems, too), but why are other window managers able to handle 
> the problem and not FVWM?

I had the same question last November.  After listening to the fvwm
workers make a good-faith attempt to get to the root cause, I have since
changed my question:  What might Sun be doing to accommodate a GUI that
doesn't play by the rules?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].