Subject: FVWM: fvwm and GNOME

From: "Ralph Moeritz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:06:05 +0200

Hi everyone,

is it still possible to use fvwm as the window manager for
GNOME? I followed the instructions in the FAQ, but it seems
that GNOME no longer allows users to select a window
manager of their choice. Does this mean I have to use the
default metacity wm, or not use GNOME at
all?

Thanks,
Ralph

--
Ralph Moeritz 
 
==
Download ringtones, logos and picture messages at Ananzi Mobile Fun.
http://www.ananzi.co.za/cgi-bin/goto.pl?mobile
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:49:41 +0930

> default metacity wm, or not use GNOME at

Just open an xterm and issue this command...

fvwm -r -f .fvwm2rc &

...assuming you have a recent fvwm version with the -replace option
included, and assuming you have a .fvwm2rc config file. You may see some
messages like "Another window manager is running....etc..." but this is
normal. If you close the xterm however then fvwm will exit as well. Just
use the gnome session manager gui to save the session and gnome _should_
remember to restart fvwm the next time you login.

Starting fvwm without a config file is ok too as the default root menu
will give you options to create configs for you. Alternatively go to
http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net for a nice user-friendly
configuration and start fvwm with "fvwm -r -f themes-rc" command
instead.

Hope this helps.

Alex