Subject: FVWM: Move using Outline stops halts application display

From: Jeff Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:53:45 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

Is there a way to move windows using the Outline style without causing
all the applications running to freeze?  While I'm moving the outline
none of the other windows on the screen update.  They resume updating
once the move is complete.

I've tried using OpaqueMoveSize, and this allows the other applications
and the window being moved to continue to update.  This is good, but
the window being moved leaves "echos" of itself on the other applications
on the screen because they can't redraw quite fast enough.

Is there a way to combine outline movement with the ability to allow 
the other windows on the screen to continue to update?

-- 
Jeff Wilson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:19:24 +0000

> the other windows on the screen to continue to update?

Everything you said is correct and thus the answer is no.
The outline move may be done a bit nicer, but this is not what you want,
since it grabs the X to be able to undo its fancy lines while moving.

If you want to allow other applications to redraw themselves during the
window move, then the only good solution is to fix the slow application
expose redrawing. Technologies like clipping and background drawing may
help applications to do it effectively.

Notice how fvwm window decorations themselves are redrawn quickly and
without flickering on opaque move even for very complex decorations
(I mean, in 2.5.x, not 2.4.x).

(I may only dream about modules like FvwmButtons being as fast.)

Regards,
Mikhael.