Subject: FVWM: FVWM as kiosk

From: Tad Marko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:44:35 -0600

Howdy,

I'm wanting to give some users access to one program when they log in. 
When they quit the program, they are logged out. I'd like to use fvwm, 
as it seems to be well suited for this sort of thing. Running with no 
configuration files, it's almost what I want out of the box. No 
background, no menus, no nothing. To get the rest of the way, I need to 
know how to do the following:

1) Launch a program at startup.

2) Completely eliminate all virtual desktops.

extra credit) eliminate the menus that appear when you click the desktop.

If anyone can help me out on these, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tad

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:03:10 +0000

> 1) Launch a program at startup.

Start it before fvwm if that is what you want.

> If anyone can help me out on these, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Did you read my answer to the "locking screen" question a week ago?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:36:37 -0500 (EST)

> When they quit the program, they are logged out. I'd like to use fvwm, 

It sounds like what you really want is to just set that one program as the 
window manager for that environment. Does the program really need to have 
window handling support?

For example, if you are using xdm, and you set the window manager for 
those accounts to the path of the program you want them to have access to, 
then their session will be tied to the running of that program, and when 
they quit, they will effectively log out and xdm will return.

It depends on whether or not you need them to be able to move windows 
around, close windows, etc. It sounds like you really don't.

But if you insist on using a window manager,

> 1) Launch a program at startup.

AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I /path/to/your/program

(Though this will not in itself give you the logout-on-program-quit 
behaviour you're looking for.)

> 2) Completely eliminate all virtual desktops.

DeskTopSize 1x1

> extra credit) eliminate the menus that appear when you click the desktop.

Mouse 0 R N Nop
(or, more drastically:)
DestroyMenu MenuFvwmRoot

-- 
==================================================================
Keith D. Tyler                                [email-masked]
Federal Way, WA                          http://www.keithtyler.com
------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 
                       Who Would Jesus Bomb?
                                 
==================================================================

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:00:42 +0200

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:36:37 -0500 (EST)
[email-masked] wrote:

> > I'm wanting to give some users access to one program when they log
> > in. When they quit the program, they are logged out. I'd like to use
> > fvwm, 
> 
> It sounds like what you really want is to just set that one program as
> the window manager for that environment. Does the program really need
> to have window handling support?

You could start the program up without any window manager, using xinit.
For example :

xinit ./quake2 +set game action -- /usr/bin/X11/X :1

(You don't even need to start X to do this)

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
A member of South Africa's largest retail software vendor, the UCS Group

Tel : (011) 712 1371   Cell : 082 902 5632
Fax : (011) 339 3421
Internet : http://ucs.co.za

"I am the Unconquerable Spirit."
               -- Poet Unknown
   
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux - testing/unstable