Subject: FVWM: few questions

From: Julian Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:27:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

i have a few questions concerning different parts of FVWM which I use in
version 2.5.6 in combinatino with rox.

a) I would somehow like to have a key command to place my mplayer on top
and visible on all virtual screens (for example to whach a video whilst
surfing, chatting whatever). I only found out, that I can use StaysOnTop,
but that somehow just would keep thew window on top, not on all virtual
screens.. What would I have to do?

b) I would like to jump to a certain window containing a programm (for
example to write a script that always opens program x on a certain
command). can I somehow grep through WindowList? and if so, how can I then
focus window xy? Next question then: can I use these commands from within
a bash script or how would I do all this? (i am a bit new to this all, I
just got the configs from a friend and I am still trying to figure it all
out)

c) At work I have a Matrox G450 with 2 Monitors. Set it up in my
Xf86config, but it somehow isn't what I want. My optimal configuration
would be 2 totally separate monitors with their own virtual screens.
Switching from one phyiscal monitor to the other would _only_ work via a
key command, not by moving the mouse somewhere or doing anything else that
could happen accidentally. Is this possible? Can anybody give me some
hints how to approach this?

Well, I fear this is a bit much for my first time on this list, maybe
somebody can help me anyway, I would be very greatful anyway.

Cheers,

Julian
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:05:41 +0300

> version 2.5.6 in combinatino with rox.

Is there any good reason you run the old developement version?

> screens.. What would I have to do?

You should read the fvwm man page. You may discover the things you always
wanted to have and don't know the terminology by merely reading it.

The command you want is:

  Style MPlayer Sticky

Or the following makes it sticky by pressing Shift-Ctrl-M from anywhere:

  Key M A SC Next (MPlayer) Stick

> just got the configs from a friend and I am still trying to figure it all

Add FvwmConsole to your menus or launch it on a key like Alt-F12, then
invoke it and type any fvwm commands in it (the same commands you put
into .fvwm2rc). Run, for example, commands "Beep" or "Module FvwmIdent"
from FvwmConsole.

Another way tp remotely control fvwm is to run FvwmCommand (read its man
page).

You want to read about conditional commands in the fvwm man page, like:

  Next (MPlayer) SwitchToWindow

  DestroyFunc SwitchToWindow
  AddToFunc   SwitchToWindow
  + I Raise
  + I Focus
  + I WarpToWindow 50 50

> hints how to approach this?

Please read about MULTI-SCREEN DISPLAYS and XINERAMA in the man page.
It suggests:

  EdgeScroll 0 0

There are other Edge commands, powerful, but a bit tricky to understand.

You may either enable or disable Xinerama in your X depending on what you
want to achieve.

Regards,
Mikhael.