Subject: FVWM: fvwm2rc syntax question

From: Dheeraj Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:26:15 -0400

Hello everyone.
   I am wondering what the difference is between the following two ?
The first one gives me the desired result but the second one doesn;t.

#####################################
ButtonStyle 1 Active (VGradient 64 rgb:5a/6d/c5 rgb:4a/59/a5) \
                Inactive (VGradient 64 rgb:93/a1/a8 rgb:7c/8c/93) \
                (-- flat)
AddButtonStyle 1 Pixmap iconify.xbm
ButtonStyle 2 Active (VGradient 64 rgb:5a/6d/c5 rgb:4a/59/a5) \
                Inactive (VGradient 64 rgb:93/a1/a8 rgb:7c/8c/93) \
                (-- flat)
AddButtonStyle 2 Pixmap close.xbm
ButtonStyle 4 Active (VGradient 64 rgb:5a/6d/c5 rgb:4a/59/a5) \
                Inactive (VGradient 64 rgb:93/a1/a8 rgb:7c/8c/93) \
                (-- flat)
AddButtonStyle 4 Pixmap max.xbm
#####################################

AND

##########################################
#ButtonStyle 1 Pixmap iconify.xbm
#ButtonStyle 2 Pixmap close.xbm
#ButtonStyle 4 Pixmap max.xbm
#AddButtonStyle AllActive (VGradient 64 rgb:5a/6d/c5 rgb:4a/59/a5) \
#               AllInactive (VGradient 64 rgb:93/a1/a8 rgb:7c/8c/93) \
#AddButtonStyle All -- Flat
##########################################

i have picked the xbms from the openbox2 project.

thanks in advance and congrats to all the developers for such a marvellous wm

truely
dheeraj

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:16:53 +0300

> The first one gives me the desired result but the second one doesn;t.

VGradient is destructive style and Pixmap is partially destructive,
so the order of applying both using AddButtonStyle matters.

Also ButtonStyle or AddButtonStyle require the button number or "All",
so your second example is incorrect (it misses "All").

Also I suppose you use 2.5.x, because 2.4.x does not have shortcuts
AllActive/AllInactive.

The correct config for 2.5.x would be:

ButtonStyle All \
	AllActive   (VGradient 64 rgb:5a/6d/c5 rgb:4a/59/a5 -- flat) \
	AllInactive (VGradient 64 rgb:93/a1/a8 rgb:7c/8c/93 -- flat)
AddButtonStyle 1 Pixmap iconify.xbm
AddButtonStyle 2 Pixmap close.xbm
AddButtonStyle 4 Pixmap max.xbm

If you need more correct examples, take a look at fvwm-themes configs.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dheeraj Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:07:46 -0400

Thanks mikhael.
  I think AllActive syntax is a little confusing since intuitively
All + Active = All Active.
 but then, it might be just me and my senses.

dheeraj

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:06:23 +0000

>  but then, it might be just me and my senses.

You can't omit the button number parameter in ButtonStyle, it's mandatory.

AllActive is a shortcut for Active + ToggledActive that are shortcuts too
for ActiveUp + ActiveDown and ToggledActiveUp + ToggledActiveDown.

I guess reading the command documentation may help too. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.