Subject: FVWM: locking screen

From: Dale Stahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:22:49 -0500

Gentlemen:

         I am poorly skilled in windows management, and yet I cannot get 
help from the University staff.  So I am hoping someone on this list can 
help me.  I am trying to develop a system for administering tests in a 
computer lab.

         The test is coded as a java application that I want to run on a 
full screen.  When done, I instruct the student enter text in a box, upon 
whichthe java program terminates, but until that time, I do not want the 
student to be able to resize the window, close the window, toggle to 
another window or anything else.  About six years ago, with the help of a 
unix consultant, we used the first version of fvwm to do this.  We simple 
executed "fvwm&" and then our java program.  We've been told now that we 
exploited some bug in that first version (perhaps some option in the 
.fvwmrc file), but this version no longer runs on our Solaris 9 system.

         Our computer lab is equipped with SunRay terminals.  A terminal is 
logged into a unix server, and then a simple gnome terminal window 
appears.  From that prompt, we want to launch fvwm -replace&, and then our 
java application.  From looking at the online fvwm manual, it seemed that I 
should be able to turn off the title bar buttons by commenting out the 
appropriate lines in the .fvwmrc file (which I did successfully).  However, 
I was still able to resize the screen by grabbing onto a border, and 
double-clicking on the mouse sometimes brought the original gnome terminal 
window back on top, from which a student could easily kill the 
program.  Also, after shrinking the window, and clicking outside the 
window, a menu of fvwm options came up, among which was to exit fvwm!

         I suspect that I could replace my default .fvwmrc file with a 
simple config file that would give me a maximized window with no title bar, 
no grabbable border, no accessible menus, and no way to close the window or 
exit our program until we want to by inputting a password.

         I would be profoundly grateful to anyone who could help me with this.

Sincerely yours,

Dale O. Stahl

Malcolm Forsman Centennial Professor

http://www.eco.utexas.edu/faculty/Stahl 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:56:55 +0300

On 21 Oct 2003 16:22:49 -0500, Dale Stahl wrote:
> another window or anything else.

Supposing you already know how to launch your application maximized to
the full screen so no root background is left visible, here is
~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc for 2.4.x and 2.5.x versions doing what you want:

  # disable Alt-Tab
  Key Tab A M -

  # disable page scroll
  EdgeScroll 0 0

  # cause test application to stay on top and be borderless
  Style YourAntiStudentJavaApp Layer 10, NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0

Replace "YourAntiStudentJavaApp" with a real window name.

If you have problems to start your application fully maximized by
specifying -geometry or similar, then reask again or take a look at the
FAQ question 3.18.

Regards,
Mikhael.