Subject: FVWM: Using alternate modifier keys in keybinding

From: jlm <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Oct 2003 14:09:37 -0400

I have a keyboard with two keys on either side of the spacebar that have
a hollow diamond on them. I think these keys are the equivalent of the
Windows keys. xev reports that they are the super_l and super_r keys.

I have not yet found any program that takes advantage of these keys. I
would like to use these keys in keyboard shortcuts with fvwm. Is this
possible? From the documentation it seems you are limited to the shift,
ctrl, and alt keys as modifiers.

Thanks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Oct 2003 15:23:33 +0100

>>>>> "jlm" == jlm  <[email-masked]> writes:
    jlm> 
    jlm> I have a keyboard with two keys on either side of the spacebar that
    jlm> have a hollow diamond on them. I think these keys are the equivalent
    jlm> of the Windows keys. xev reports that they are the super_l and
    jlm> super_r keys.
    jlm> 
    jlm> I have not yet found any program that takes advantage of these keys.
    jlm> I would like to use these keys in keyboard shortcuts with fvwm. Is
    jlm> this possible? From the documentation it seems you are limited to the
    jlm> shift, ctrl, and alt keys as modifiers.

no, you can use all the modifiers 1-5. You need to check to which modifier
super is attached (e.g. with xkeycaps -pm) and then use this number in
the key binding commands. I'm using the super key e.g. as modifier5.
Additionally you may have to "undefine" a few default key bindings.

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar
doctrine that age brings wisdom. -- H. L. Mencken
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].