Subject: FVWM: Re: Request: Button-like menus

From: Ian Remmler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:23:30 -0500

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:38:45AM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:53:36PM -0500, Ian Remmler wrote:
> > I've been playing with FvwmIconMan in transient mode, and I
> > started thinking that it would be cool to have normal menus have
> > a similar look, i.e. like several buttons lined up.  I know you
> > can put a separator between each entry, but it's a hack and the
> > separators are set at two pixel thickness.
> 
> Take a look at the MenuStyle entry in the fvwm2 man page.

I looked, but I didn't find anything that would do what I was
talking about.  I would like each menu option to have its own 3D
border, so each one looks like a button.  Is there a way to do
this already that I am missing?

Thanks,
	- Ian.

-- 
Ian Remmler         |  A monk asked Joshu, "Has a dog Buddha nature or not?"
[email-masked]     |  Joshu replied, "Mu!"
http://remmler.org  |                          -- Mumon, "The Gateless Gate"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:12:26 +0200

> this already that I am missing?

You're right.  Currently you get the 3d look only when the item
is hilighted.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ian Remmler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:41:43 -0500

> You're right.  Currently you get the 3d look only when the item

How hard would it be to implement this as an option for normal
menus?  I think it would give a nice look.  I'd be happy to try
it myself, but I might need someone to give me an idea of what
needs to be changed.

	- Ian.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:09:07 +0200

> it myself, but I might need someone to give me an idea of what

It's quite some work because we don't have any item specific
options yet.  You'd have to add some menu styles for button
decorations and paint them into the menu background pixmap (the
foreground is too slow).  In addition, button specific
decorations have to force that the background pixmap is as big as
the menu itself.  Tiling H- and Vgradients isn't possible anymore.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ian Remmler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:51:30 -0500

> the menu itself.  Tiling H- and Vgradients isn't possible anymore.

OK, what about just adding an option that makes separators match
the button look (i.e. extend all the way across the menu and
match the button relief look)?  Then I could just put a separator
between each item.  Not perfect, but it might be doable.

Thanks for the explanation.
	- Ian.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:06:55 +0200

> between each item.  Not perfect, but it might be doable.

But it would screw up all the menu size calculations.  I prefer a
clean patch to a hack.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^