Subject: FVWM: Tool bars

From: John Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:14:48 +0100

First, is it me or do FvwmIconBox, FvwmIconMan, FvwmTaskBar and
FvwmWinList all do similar things?

Second, I would like to create a Windows/Gnome style toolbar which
would have the usual collection of fixed-size utilities (Main menu,
Desktop switcher, Clock) with a task-switcher filling up the rest of
the space dynamically resizing its windows as appropriate.

A combination of the above four and FvwmButtons seem to do roughly what I
want but I can't work out how to do *exactly* what I want!

All help appreciated.

Thanks

John

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:21:19 +0200

> FvwmWinList all do similar things?

Yes, they do.

> want but I can't work out how to do *exactly* what I want!

You want FvwmButtons with a swallowed FvwmIconMan.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:15:55 +0200

> want but I can't work out how to do *exactly* what I want!

As I said before, use FvwmButtons + FvwmIconMan:

1) Determine the grid size you need.  About 16x16 should usually
   do.  Then determine the size of the bar you need.  For example,
   if FvwmButtons is (screen width)x32 pixels:

     Style FvwmButtons BorderWidth 0, HandleWidth 0, NoTitle
     *FvwmButtonsGeometry 1280x32+0-0
     *FvwmButtonsRows     2
     *FvwmButtonsColumns  80
     # forbid resizing
     *FvwmButtonsBoxSize  fixed

2) Determine which area should be used by FvwmIconMan.  For
   example, to let it fill all the height of the bar and stretch
   from grid space 10 to 69:

     *FvwmButtons: (60x3+10+0, Swallow FvwmIconMan 'Module FvwmIconMan')

3) Place the fixed buttons.  Override the button placement
   algorithm with explicit size/position args:

     *FvwmButtons: (3x2+0+1, ...)
     *FvwmButtons: (3x1+0+0, ...)
     ...

4) Configure FvwmIconMan (see man page).

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^