Subject: FVWM: Using UTF-8 locale

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 20:24:08 +0200 (CEST)

I swithed to using a UTF-8 locale.
It works really nice in FVWM, but gtk (1.2)-based apps displays text as if
it were latin 1.
I set the locale in my .xsession like this:

export LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8 

If I run "echo $LANG" in rxvt started from a menu in FVWM, it says
sv_SE.UTF-8 but if I start an rxvt from this rxvt and run the same command
it says:
sv_SE.ISO-8859-1

This is on RH 7.3

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
By the way, rxvt still lacks UTF-8 support.

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Sep 2003 19:53:10 -0400

> By the way, rxvt still lacks UTF-8 support.

It sounds like your shell's profile is overriding the LANG setting (e.g.
/etc/profile)...  I personally set the locale in my zshrc, depending on
whether I'm in an xterm or the console (because Linux's console UTF-8
support is kind of lacking.)

GTK 1.2 apps can be configured to load a Unicode font if you really want
to, but I *do not* recommend this, because the entire font will be
loaded at once.  If you don't use an external font server like xfs, your
entire X server will become unusable for a moment while the font is
loaded.

That said, FVWM 2.5 (using Xft), GTK 2 (again using Xft), and
xterm/mlterm all support UTF-8 beautifully.

The Xresources I use for xterm (which enable UTF-8 amongst other things)
are available at http://themuffin.net/xres/xterm.xresources

HTH,
-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:36:16 +0200 (CEST)

> support is kind of lacking.)

Yes, you're right. My .bashrc read some global definition (/etc/profile).
So I fixed that.

> entire X server will become unusable for a moment while the font is

I do use XFS. And I also have a script that generates xresources and
.gtkrc and so on.
And the font I set in .gtkrc
"-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
is the same I use in FVWM (there is an iso10646 version of this).
And it works, as mentioned, in FVWM. I don't really mind using a bitmap
font.
> are available at http://themuffin.net/xres/xterm.xresources

Thanks!

//Marcus