Subject: FVWM: fvwm and gnome Red Hat 8.0

From: Ian Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to use fvwm with my more or less stock RH 8.0 install on a 
laptop. 

I currently use gnome/metacity because kde is way too resource heavy for 
the screen and interface to give decent responsivity. But metacity lacks 
several features in fvwm that I have enjoyed previously.

fvwm -r & works marvelously but for one thing: what fvwmrc should one use?

Does anyone have a minimalistic .fvwmrc file that is appropriate for 
gnome? I don't want to have to totally rebuild the panel and menus etc in 
fvwm. All I want is to use fvwm as my window manager. How do I get it to 
play nicely with gnome? Example: what is the relationship between fvwm's 
desktops and the gnome desktops? They aren't the same it seems. Each gnome 
desktop seems to be split into multiple fvwm desktops (or is it vice 
versa).

Anyway what folks like me who mostly want to do work with their computers,
not hack around with the window manager, need is a simple starting .fvwmrc
for working with gnome. Can anyone offer one?

	Ian Hutchinson
	http://www.psfc.mit.edu/people/hutch/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:21:34 +0200

> desktop seems to be split into multiple fvwm desktops (or is it vice 

GNOME2 does not support large desktop. If you use the gnome pager you
should use a 1x1 desktop, i.e., add

	DesktopSize 1 1

to your config.

> for working with gnome. Can anyone offer one?

Unfortunately, I do not use a simple .fvwmrc. I use fvwm-themes
(http://fvwm-themes.sf.net/). If you want to try it with GNOME2, I
suggest you use the current cvs. It has a minimal support for GNOME2
(e.g., you get fvwm-themes menus even with nautilus running via "Alt
Mouse x"). With the fvwm-themes menu you can disable all visible
module (as some FvwmButtons): Theme Management -> Current -> modules
-> *. Also, you can add session support: Theme Management -> settings
-> session manager. For using fvwm-themes, after installation  you
should add the line

fvwm-themes-start --no-start

just before the line which invokes gnome-session and use
the following minimal config file:

[olivier@snoopy olivier]$ cat ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc
Read themes-rc
[olivier@snoopy olivier]$

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:30:20 +0200

> should use a 1x1 desktop, i.e., add

I am sorry GNOME 2.4 supports large desktop. However, there are some
bugs in fvwm. This is fixed in the current cvs and so for 2.5.8 and
future snapshots.

Regards, Olivier