Subject: FVWM: taskbar size

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:19:50 +0200

Hi!

I have a specific idea, but I don't know how to do in in fvwm.
I'd like to have a taskbar at the bottom, but in that area, I also want
to have a process monitor and a pager.
So basically I want this.

+-------++----------------------------------------+-----+--------+-----+
| Start || xmms | gimp | xawtv |                  |pager|cpu:50% |15:02|
+-------++----------------------------------------+-----+--------+-----+

AFAIK FvwmTaskbar cannot swallow anything, and I don't know how to tell to
it not to fill to the right. So I'd like to avoid Taskbar's windowlist
and pager/process monitor overlapping.

Any ides?

thx
Gergo
-- 
+-[ Kontra, Gergely<[email-masked]> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
| http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely            "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy  |
| Mobil:(+36 20) 356 9656 ICQ: 175564914   poroltoval kellene jarnom" |
+-- Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net --+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:25:59 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:19:50PM +0200, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
> Any ideas?

The usual way to emulate this is to use FvwmButtons as the base
container, define a button for the menu and swallow FvwmIconMan
for the application button.  Any number of additional buttons and
swallowed apps can be defined easily.

I'm not sure whether a config for this fairly complex setup is
floating around here.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:27:44 +0200

On 0910, Dominik Vogt wrote:
[...]
[...]
> swallowed apps can be defined easily.

Thanks the idea and the quick response.

The menu is not so important, so I'll try to figure it out.
If FvwmTaskBar can be so easily implemented by other modules (not taking
into consideration the built-in clock in FvwmTaskBar), than why is there
FvwmTaskbar?

If none has such a config, I will play a little with an auto-hiding
pager. (this needs fvwm2.5, isn't it? I cannot grab the action "mouse
pointer entered" action, right?

Gergo

---

From: Frank Ehmsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:28:39 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:25:59 +0200

> I'm not sure whether a config for this fairly complex setup is

#
# Taskbar
#
KillModule FvwmButtonsTaskbr
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtonsTaskbr: *
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: Frame 0
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: Colorset 6
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: Geometry 1152x29+0-0
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: Columns 24
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: BoxSize Fixed
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: Frame 1

*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: (Title Start, Action "Menu MyMainMenu \ 
Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m")
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: (18x1,Swallo (UseOld) "FvwmIconMan" \ 
"Module FvwmIconMan")
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: (Swallow (UseOld) "xeyes" "Exec exec xeyes")
*FvwmButtonsTaskbr: (4x1,Swallow (UseOld) "FvwmPager" \ 
"Module FvwmPager 0 3")

Be carefull with the "\", and set the "Geometry" and "Columns"-Options
to your needs.

> Dominik ^_^  ^_^

bye
frank

-- 
You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up. -- Peter Frampton

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:30:50 +0200

> into consideration the built-in clock in FvwmTaskBar), than why is there

It was backported from fvwm95.  I think at that time FvwmTaskbar
could not be emulated well.  But it is definitely a candidate for
future removal.

> pointer entered" action, right?

Right.  This works only in 2.5.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:53:53 +0200

> Be carefull with the "\", and set the "Geometry" and "Columns"-Options

Is there a way to make this solution adjust automatically? (e.g. 100% in 
width)?

I did play around with FVWMButtons once and I think it is much to 
complicated to make it a replacement for FvwmTaskbar (IMHO). There 
should be a more simple way of placing and sizing the content of it. 
(Ok, maybe there is, but I did not find out.)

How I would like to configure it (Pseudocode):

Set Rows: 1
Add a Menu at the left
Swallow FvwmPager (which automatically should take so much space as it 
requires)
Swallow FvwmIconMan (which takes all the space that is not used by other 
Butttons)
Swallow xload, a net-load-tool and a clock at the right.

Ok, I think most users will install a ready to use panel like the 
gnome-panel that can be configured by dragNdrop. Does work the cvs 
version of Fvwm with gnome2 nowadays? I think there have been some 
problems with it recently, isn't it?

I have read that someone did let the gnome-panel swallow FvwmPager. Is 
this really possible? That would be great. Or can the gnome-Pager 
control the Fvwm-Pages of one (or maybe multiple) desktops?

Thank you,

Gert

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:41:12 +0100 (BST)

> width)?

You could use something like:

$[w.x] $[w.y] $[w.width] $[w.height] 

to set the geomtry, by using a Complex Function and "PipeRead" so that the
underlying shell (probably Bash) can perform some arithemtic, if need be.

> (Ok, maybe there is, but I did not find out.)

It's not so much complicated as it is that the documentation is extremely
heavy going. The developers should not take that as an insult, but rather
as a constructive critiscism, since it would help greatly with our
understanding if some examples could be provided.

Also, I never really understood why "man fvwm" was never split up into
smaller man pages.

> problems with it recently, isn't it?

Using Fvwm-2.5.7 causes no problems, since that has native EWMH support
already built in...no, Gnome2 works fine with fvwm, as long as you
configure it to suit your needs.

> control the Fvwm-Pages of one (or maybe multiple) desktops?

Hmm, I think that *might* be possible, I am not sure.

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:49:33 +0200

> > Is there a way to make this solution adjust automatically? (e.g. 100% in
Get fvwm-themes-extra and inspect the redmondxp style.
Good luck.

Gergo