Subject: FVWM: fvwm2rc files

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:52:05 -0700

I was wondering if any of you are willing to share you fvwm2rc files.

I have been trying to figure out what all this stuff does and it is nice
to see what other people are doing too..

Did some searching on the web at various rc files and many of them seem
really old.  

Also, does anyone have a screenshot of FvwmButtons...I want to see it in
action.

I really like how the Documentation page is improving (I need all the
help I can get)

Thanks
C

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:11:55 +0200

> Also, does anyone have a screenshot of FvwmButtons...I want to see it in

I like my FvwmButtons. There is a screenshot at

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~dhansen/fvwm.png

It has several swallowed apps (xosview, xbuffy, dclock
and two window manager applets) and swallowed Fvwm
modules.

The "erotic, violence and cute" wallpaper is from

http://momonekodou.cool.ne.jp/mad-lovers/

The fvwm.rc as well as some mini icons and the window
decorations is in

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~dhansen/fvwm.tgz

You can get a lot more very nice window decoration
From http://fvwm-themes.sf.net

But be warned, the configuration file isn't well
commented and may need some minor fixes.  You will
need fvwm > 2.5 for it (get it from cvs, don't worry
about stability, it's working very well).

Regards,

David

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:16:12 +0300

> Did some searching on the web at various rc files and many of them seem

You may go to http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/ and get up to date
configurations.

> Also, does anyone have a screenshot of FvwmButtons...I want to see it in

There are screenshots too.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:14:03 +0200

> Also, does anyone have a screenshot of FvwmButtons...I want to see it in

A little bit more discrete version of FvwmButtons can be seen in the top
left corner of http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/fvwm/screenshot2.png
The 3 buttons contain panels that fold in and out (the first one is my
IM client, the second one is my IRC window, and the third one is a
remote SSH session which i keep open at all times, and frequently use)
It can be seen in action on
    http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/fvwm/buttons.gif

cheers,
Remko

---

From: Glyn Millington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:22:44 +0100

>     http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/fvwm/buttons.gif

_NIce_ screenshot!!   Remko, do you by any chance remember where the
background image came from? Just the thing for my daughter ;-)  or did
you produce it yourself?

Glyn

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:18:00 +0200

> background image came from? Just the thing for my daughter ;-)  or did

They come from the Dick Bruna website: http://www.miffy.com/ 
You can find a bunch of nice pictures there. 

cheers,
Remko

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:59:15 -0700

What a great screenshot and I think I got it now!  

Thanks!

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:00:22 -0700

I've been there before but it never looked like they were working on
it.  I will look again.  I dont even remember if I have it on my system.

---

From: Catherine Luedecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:01:39 -0700

Thank you for sharing.  I like your screenshot too..

I am inpsired.  

Thanks!

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:33:32 +0300

On 19 Sep 2003 23:14:03 +0200, Remko Troncon wrote:
> 
> http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~remko/fvwm/screenshot2.png

I always wondered why people spend so much time configuring all aspects
of a look, but do not improve such basic thing like their terminal.
If a bold font is not specified using -fb option (or similar), than the
terminal usually makes the bold font itself from the normal one.
This looks pretty ugly, the real bold font is better.

So, for example, if someone starts xterm like this:

  xterm -geometry 80x40 -sb +sk -si -sl 4096 -j -ls +lc -fn 7x14

the following addition makes it look nicer:

  xterm -geometry 80x40 -sb +sk -si -sl 4096 -j -ls +lc -fn 7x14 -fb 7x14bold

Another issue, actually a question. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

It seems that in xterm from XFree86-4.3.0, if you use +bdc or resource:

  XTerm*colorBDMode: true

then the bold font is not used, only the bold color is used. In 4.2.x
both bold color and font were used and I like this. Is this a bug or a
new (mis)feature? Is there a way to have both this setting and bold font?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:23:13 -0600

> new (mis)feature? Is there a way to have both this setting and bold font?

This gives me bold fonts + bold colors with XFree86-4.3.0.
XTerm*boldColors:           on
XTerm*boldMode:             on
XTerm*colorBDMode:          on

'False' and 'True' don't seem to work here...

I can't stand bold fonts here :-D. so I have it set to:
XTerm*boldColors:           on
XTerm*boldMode:             off
XTerm*colorBDMode:          on

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:18:41 -0600

> 'False' and 'True' don't seem to work here...

Nevermind 'False' and 'True' do work!

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 02:07:54 +0300

> This gives me bold fonts + bold colors with XFree86-4.3.0.

Nope, this does not work for me. (I surely tried these before asking.)

Once colorBDMode is set, the bold font is not used anymore.
Changed the class name to disallow the settings in ~/.Xdefaults and
the system app-defaults/XTerm:

  xterm -class NoThing -xrm '*colorBDMode: on'

No bold font. But at least, you got it, so there is a chance it is a bug.

  xterm -v
  XFree86 4.2.99.903(174)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:19:06 +0200

> If a bold font is not specified using -fb option (or similar), than the

Ok, i didn't see that part in the manpage. 

However, there is some behaviour which i don't understand: when i start
xterm -fn 7x14, i get an xterm where bold fonts are clearly not
generated by tracing the normal font, the bold font is clearly 7x14bold. 
Running xterm -fn 7x14 -fb 7x14bold gives me the exact same result.

Maybe XTerm has some predefined corresponding bold fonts for standard
fonts ?

>   xterm -geometry 80x40 -sb +sk -si -sl 4096 -j -ls +lc -fn 7x14 -fb 7x14bold

So, these make no difference.

cheers,
Remko

PS: I personally don't like the 7x14-7x14bold combination. The bold font
is narrower (but bolder), and it looks like 2 different fonts in 1
terminal. I seem to prefer the 'generated' font.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:43:10 +0300

> Maybe XTerm has some predefined corresponding bold fonts for standard

It seems that xterm is aware if some font pairs, so if you specify
-fn 7x13, it will assume -fb 7x14. However for the default "fixed" font
(that happens to be the same 7x13 font) there is no pair, so the bold
font is generated by overstriking like in your screenshot.

> So, these make no difference.

Yes, in modern versions it is the same... Hovewer in previous versions
(I don't remember which) xterm did not try to match the corresponding
bold font, but always used overstriking.

> terminal. I seem to prefer the 'generated' font.

Ok, it is a matter of a habit. For me, the real font is more an art work
that looks nice, the generated font looks a bit like a crap without
anti-aliasing, especially for wide letters. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:00:23 +0200

> anti-aliasing, especially for wide letters. :)

I would think that too, but weird enough in this case my preference goes out 
to the other way. I have tried other font settings in the past (such as
anti-aliased fonts), but i always come back to the default. An
anti-aliased font would be nice, but i haven't found one which renders
nice at such small point sizes.

cheers,
Remko

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:29:30 +0000

> nice at such small point sizes.

try xterm -fa 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman:size=12', i find it can look
quite nice in a terminal.

http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].