Subject: FVWM: migrating to Gnome 2.2 (Debian woody backport) but keeping FVWM (2.4.6)

From: "Daniel B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:49:27 -0400

Do any of you know what's needed to use FVWM 2.4.6 with Gnome 2.2?
(I'm running the "woody" (stable) version of Debian GNU/Linux, with 
the Gnome 2.2 backport to woody.)

The initial problem I'm having is that something in Gnome, apparently
the file manager, is creating a full-screen windows named Desktop;
when I lower some other window, it disappears because it gets lowered
to behind the Desktop window.

Do I want to configure FVWM so the Desktop window is in a lower layer,
or is there a more general solution?  Are there more things I want to
fix?

Thanks,
Daniel
-- 
Daniel Barclay
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:15:03 +0200

> or is there a more general solution?  Are there more things I want to

I suggest you use fvwm-2.5.7 or, better, a recent snapshot.

Olivier, Regards

---

From: "Daniel B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:33:24 -0400

> > the Gnome 2.2 backport to woody.)
....
> I suggest you use fvwm-2.5.7 or, better, a recent snapshot.

Why?  Does it have improved support for Gnome?

Daniel

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 23:30:55 +0300

> Why?  Does it have improved support for Gnome?

Yes, much improved. Not just GNOME; KDE too.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:49:07 +0000

> Yes, much improved. Not just GNOME; KDE too.

Would there be any objection to me providing an fvwm-cvs package for
Gentoo linux users?

I already maintain ebuilds (basically bash scripts used to manage
installation [1]) for the stable and development releases, but so much
happens between releases it would be nice for those that are interested 
to be able follow development.

A live-cvs package literally checks out the source from cvs, and
installs it distinctly from the non-cvs package, so both can be
installed simultaneously.

some projects have objected in the past, on the basis that they dont
want to provide support to people who are using cvs builds, and some
projects have welcomed it (eg kde, a few developers were so impressed
with the feature they even switched to gentoo).

[1] For example, http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/fvwm-2.5.7-r2.ebuild

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:17:54 -0400

> [1] For example, http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/fvwm-2.5.7-r2.ebuild

No one here will object to supporting CVS builds.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:46:28 +0200

>Yes, much improved. Not just GNOME; KDE too.

Hello Mikhael, 

I have never used GNOME or KDE, because I need my resources otherwise...

So my Question:

What are the improvements for GNOME and KDE ?

I do not need stuff like this. 
Are there compile-options to leave it out ?

Thanks
Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.