Subject: Re: FVWM: Emacs-like key sequences

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:38:24 +0200

> Fill me in, what's that do?

Well, that's what I wanted to know as well (I never used the do
construct before). So I let it run unattended and it started filling up
memory till a point where my machine started running out of memory and
programs started to crash. Luckily, I could hit C-g quickly enough to
prevent further damage. :)

Now I know that it calculates Fibonacci numbers. I still don't know,
however, why it fills up memory. Emacs doesn't seem to work with
arbitrary precision integers and the do construct is no recursion that
fills up a call stack. So the memory needs are constant. 

Mario, can you explain this?

Felix

-- 
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:51:05 +0200

> Mario, can you explain this?

Just stolen the sig and the channel people in #emacs seems not very
interested in explaining that to me... But i can ask in
de.comp.editoren, i bet i get a answer there...

Mario

-- 
Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:46:38 -0400

> Mario, can you explain this?

I'm not Mario, but I can offer a theory.

When I ran it I evaluated it in the scratch buffer.
It didn't seem to be growing very fast.

Since there is a print in there, I think the memory was
space in the output buffer for the printing.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:43:18 +0200

> space in the output buffer for the printing.

But the printing is going to the *Messages* buffer whose number of
lines is limited.

Well, I wonder whether what I wrote is actually right. I just ran the
expression again and I couldn't see it filling up memory. Here's my
theory of what happened (I don't recall it exactly anymore):

1. I started evaluation of the expression in the *scratch* buffer. This
   takes up a lot of system time which I don't realize since I only
   perform simple tasks like checking email.
2. After an hour or so Sylpheed Claws crashes due to some internal
   error.
3. Trying to start diagnostics applications I suddenly realize that the
   system behaves sluggish. So thinking that the purpose of Mario's
   expression was to fill up memory, I enter EMACS, and hit C-g. Now
   everything seems to be OK because it doesn't use up CPU time anymore.

Maybe I didn't really look carefully at the memory display of xosview
and the memory wasn't really filled up. Maybe the memory was really
filled up (I recently discovered that my kernel has a memory leak) and I
didn't realize that it stayed that way after hitting C-g. I don't know.

Sorry for the confusion.

Felix