Subject: FVWM: fvwm.org annoyance/FvwmIconMan - window grouping?

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:41:28 -0400

First, I'd like to voice a minor complaint about fvwm.org:

I definitely appreciate the software patent protest (and certainly hope
Europe doesn't end up in the same terrible mess the US currently has),
but the site code does not remember whether you've gone past the
introductory "page closed" page.  This isn't a big deal for most of the
pages, but it breaks the screenshots page (can't advance past the first
group of screenshots unless you do so manually) as well as the themes
(theme is lost when the "page closed" intro is displayed.)

Secondly, I have a question:
Is it possible to have FvwmIconMan group windows by their class?  While
I'd ideally like to start doing this (vs. normal behavior) when there
are more than X entries to be drawn, I wouldn't mind doing it all the
time.  (I'm using 2.5 from CVS.)

I'm thinking that something along these lines might be possible,
although I'm uncertain after a quick read of the manual:  a 'main'
IconMan could show each distinct class name, and then a transient
FvwmIconMan could be spawned from a mouse binding.  While spawning the
transient FvwmIconMan is easy enough to figure out, I don't see any
obvious way to show only distinct classes in the main icon manager.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please let me know--I may make a
patch to add this behavior if it's not currently possible.

Thanks,
-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:20:52 +0200

> patch to add this behavior if it's not currently possible.

I don't think FvwemIconMan can group windows inside one manager
window.  But if you know the window groups beforehand, you can
create a separate window for each of the groups.  Take a look at
the example at the end of the FvwmIconMan man page:

  *FvwmIconMan: NumManagers 2

  *FvwmIconMan: 1 Title           "Emacs windows"
  *FvwmIconMan: 1 Show            resource=emacs resource=gemacs
  *FvwmIconMan: 1 ManagerGeometry 1x0-400+0

  *FvwmIconMan: 2 Title           "All windows"
  *FvwmIconMan: 2 ManagerGeometry 2x4-0+0

It's not exactly what you described, but still better than
nothing.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].