Subject: FVWM: Window interaction hangs X server

From: Mike McNally <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:54:42 -0500

I've got a fresh RedHat 9 installation on a workstation. Under
the stock Gnome/Metacity desktop, the thing works fine (to the
extent that Metacity ever works :-)

Now when I build fvwm 2.5.7 and change my .xsession file to launch
it, I have terrible problems: X basically just stops responding as
soon as I move a window, or do almost anything else to a window.
The X server has to be sent a "kill -9" to get rid of it.  The same
thing happens if I start Mozilla, immediately after the window
decorations are drawn (none of Mozilla per se is ever rendered).

I've successfully use fvwm elsewhere (it's running on the laptop
I'm typing this from now), and this is the first time I've had 
any sort of problem at all.

Anybody else seen this?

--
[ you are my main foo ] Mike McNally -- [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:30:45 -0400

> any sort of problem at all.

Funny you should mention Redhat 9.0.

I just installed it at work on a server and was able to run whatever
WM is the default.

When I started Fvwm, any key I hit resulted in the display resizing
as if I had hit Ctl-Alt +/-.

Ctl-Alt backspace still worked though.

I was too busy to make any attempt to debug it.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Mike McNally <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:34:53 -0500

> Funny you should mention Redhat 9.0.

Well, after randomly rebuilding a few things, it seems to be happy now.
I really am not sure what I did to fix it.

---

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

Well, this is strange.  I'm using RH9.0 right now with fvwm 2.4.15 and
there's really no problems I've seen.  Have you tried an earlier version
of fvwm?

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:22:11 -0400

> there's really no problems I've seen.  Have you tried an earlier version

No.  I didn't have time to fool around with it.
I was using a CVS build from April, built on Mandrake
8.2.

The way it was acting seemed more like an X server problem
than something caused by Fvwm.  But it did work with whatever
RH supplies.  Thinking about it, I'm not really sure what I
would do to debug it.  Not that I have to, its a server.
I normally work on it remotely.