Subject: FVWM: config question

From: Tony Stout <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:20:25 -0400

i just upgraded from fvwm95 (2.0.43d) to the current release of 2.4.15.  
i've successfully updated all my configs, and everything seems to be 
running nicely.

redhat 8.0 uses the package consolehelper/usermode to route specific 
authentication requests through pam.  in 2.0.43 (calling the needed 
program with a simple "exec" statement - like 'exec kppp'), the gnome 
popup would appear, ask for the root password, accept/deny, and run the 
program as appropriate.  i'm now finding that when i use the new format 
('Exec exec kppp'), i get a nifty popup saying "Invalid Call to Subprocess".

i'm sure this is probably a simple config issue, and although i know i 
could modify each entry in the 'menus' config file, i'm hoping there is 
a global method to solve this.

btw, i'm running an out-of-the-box version of redhat 8.0.  i downloaded 
the source for 2.4.15, compiled it with defaults, and installed.  i 
modified/added entries for gdm to call fvwm directly, so i'm not using 
any gnome session-management.  ideally, i'd like to keep them as 
separate as possible.

any ideas?

thanks,
Tony
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:51:47 +0200

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 11:20:25PM -0400, Tony Stout wrote:
> program as appropriate.

> i'm now finding that when i use the new format 
> ('Exec exec kppp'),

It's not really a new format.  it just saves you running a shell
process for each application you start this way.  This is achieved
by the "exec" shell command.

> i get a nifty popup saying "Invalid Call to Subprocess".

Fvwm does not use popup windows, so it must come from your shell
(highly unlikely) or kppp itself.  Can you identify which program
opened the popup window?  If not, using FvwmIdent should help.

Check your kppp installation.  Does it work when invoked on the
command line?  Possibly it expects some environtment variable to
be set.

> any gnome session-management.  ideally, i'd like to keep them as 

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^