Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 doesn't permit iconic start of netscape

From: Ian Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:43:41 -0400 (EDT)

netscape -iconic

works fine under metacity (for example) but not fvwm (using 4.79 version 
of netscape for speed reasons under Red Hat Linux 8.0).

Under fvwm [fvwm 2.5.7 compiled on May 30 2003 at 20:29:15
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, 
Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS] the netscape always pops open its first 
window. It looks as if it tries to start iconic but then for some reason 
deiconifies straight away.

I read that the fvwm Inconic setting does not work for netscape, but that 
netscape -iconic does. I have tried all combinations and none works.

Anyone have a fix?

	Ian Hutchinson
	http://www.psfc.mit.edu/people/hutch/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:32:27 +0300

> netscape -iconic does. I have tried all combinations and none works.

With fvwm-2.5.8 (from cvs) and Netscape 3, "netscape -iconic" works
without problems. It is started iconic.

If you start fvwm without any configuration, like "fvwm -f no-config",
does "netscape -iconic" work? f it does not work, it is possible that you
run some netscape wrapper script that discards its arguments.

Alternativelly, it is possible to start any netscape iconic by adding:

  Style Navigator StartIconic

But it causes all new subwindows to be started iconified too.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ian Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:43:36 -0400 (EDT)

The following demonstrates that with no config, and with a direct run of 
the netscape 4.79 executable, netscape -iconic does not start up iconized.

However, I did not try 
>   Style Navigator StartIconic

I tried 
>   Style netscape StartIconic
which did not work.

[hutch@ihutch hutch]$ fvwm -r -f no-config&
[1] 13729
[hutch@ihutch hutch]$ [FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file 'no-config' not found 
in /home/hutch/.fvwm or /usr/share/fvwm

[hutch@ihutch hutch]$ ls -l `which netscape`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Sep 17 14:54 
/usr/local/bin/netscape -> /usr/local/netscape/netscape
[hutch@ihutch hutch]$ ls /usr/local/netscape/netscape -l
-r-xr-xr-x    1 8482     wheel    13800136 Oct 17  2001 
/usr/local/netscape/netscape
[hutch@ihutch hutch]$ netscape -iconic

	Ian Hutchinson

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:11:38 -0400

> But it causes all new subwindows to be started iconified too.

I think you need Netscape 4.  (I have 4.78).
It starts iconic, but uniconifies itself soon afterward.

I'm not having much luck trying to write a function with "Wait".

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:15:35 +0200

> It starts iconic, but uniconifies itself soon afterward.

I can reproduce the problem, but I don't think we can do much
about it.  I see the netscape icon appear, but it deiconifies
itself immediately.  I don't think we can do anything about it.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^