Subject: FVWM: Hi: I'm back on board the FVWM ship :)

From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Pfeiffer)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:12:01 +0200 (CEST)

Ladies and Gents: Hi ...

Glad to be back here :) ...

I left the list several months ago after I bought an Apple PowerBook
G4 with Mac OS X on it, last December.

After some months of playing OS X I installed Linux to this Mac: I
thought Mac OS X is not the town I'd like to live in.

So currently I have both systems installed on this machine: OS X and
Debian (3.0.r1), and, sure, my favorite xmachine: FVWM (2.4.16) ... :)

I hope to be able to compile fresh .deb packages on this mac, 'tho I
definitely don't have the slightest idea how arcane the methods are to
do this on a Debian Linux: I remember it to be very easy to build my
own RPM's on my old RedHat 6.2, running on an i386.
This time I'm on Debian-Linux now, running on a PowerPc ... :)

So let's hope I can be of some help with !new! deb. packages built on,
and for, powerpc, sooner or later ... :)

And yes: I'll be here with questions, too. Sure ... :)

Until soon.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

-- 
Profile, Links:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mattias Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:57:47 +0200 (CEST)

> And yes: I'll be here with questions, too. Sure ... :)

Hi to all FVWM:ers!
And to PowerPC Linux users!
So I am not the only one using FVWM on Mac. :)

I suggest you use the CVS version. Debian has package
info on their site on doing .debs.

So you have a PB G4! Well I guess it's slightly faster than my 8500/120... ;)
First thing to do on a G5 is to compile FVWM!

Did you check out Yellow Dog Linux? I got YDL 2.3.
On 32 MB RAM, no extra Video card. :)

Tell us more about Debian and FVWM on a Mac.

Bye;
/Mattias Andersson Falun Sweden

An Apple a day keeps all Gates away!

---

From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Pfeiffer)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:33:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Mattias,

> info on their site on doing .debs.

 ... not being sure on it: which docs do you mean? I think I read this
one:

<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html#s-equivs>

I never built CVS stuff ... I had a look to
<http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/dev_cvs.php>
and, (how do I say this politely :) ... <errh>, let's say the first 10
or 15 lines didn't lure me into reading the rest of the page ...

But it's late at night now. I'll have another look at it tomorrow or
so perhaps .. :)

> Did you check out Yellow Dog Linux? I got YDL 2.3.

No. I read about it, as I did on Gentoo Linux. In the end I simply
took Debian for reasons I forgot. Perhaps I thought Debian is more
secure, stable than other Linux distros. But I'm not sure on that
anymore. If I had to choose again I might try Gentoo Linux, simply for
curiosity .. :)

> On 32 MB RAM, no extra Video card. :)

Wow ...  :)

> Tell us more about Debian and FVWM on a Mac.

The basic install was cool: Even for a Debian beginner as I am, it was
relatively easy to get Debian installed to the TiBook (although I'd
guess it's still a bit too much for an absolute Linux Newbie to
install Debian to a Mac ... Sorry, Debian developers ... :) Actually
I would have preferred to install RedHat to the machine: I simply
chose Debian for the lack of an available powerpc RedHat distro.

And yes: Another reason I actually wanted RedHat for the Mac was the
RedHat mailing list; there were (and they're probably still there)
some cool, friendly folks on this list, with a, most of the time,
very problem guided approach to Linux.

As to FVWM: Shortly before I installed Debian to the TiBook some
months ago I saw Gnome and KDE on a i386 Debian, resp. on a Knoppix
Live CD on the same machine: It was both KDE and Gnome which convinced
me to a considerable extent that FVWM might be again the Window
manager of my choice for the, at this time, already planned
installation on the Powerbook :) ...

> An Apple a day keeps all Gates away!

I wouldn't send Bill Gates away, if he'd be knocking on my door.
Actually I'd ask him whether he would like to sponsor my Linux
sessions in front of my Mac ... no kidding: I'd ask him .... :)

Best Regards,
Wolfgang