Subject: FVWM: fvwm for Debian

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:36:44 +0200

Hi everyone

Possibly this is the wrong forum for this question, but I'll risk asking
it here first. Is there any reason why Debian unstable only provides
fvwm 2.4.16, and not fvwm 2.5.7?

Thanks
-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
Tel : (011) 712 1371   Cell : 082 902 5632
Fax : (011) 339 3421
Internet : http://ucs.co.za
Email    : [email-masked]

"I am the Unconquerable Spirit."
               -- Poet Unknown
   
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux - testing/unstable
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:00:24 +0200

> Hi everyone

Hi, there!

> Possibly this is the wrong forum for this question, but I'll risk
> asking it here first. Is there any reason why Debian unstable only
> provides fvwm 2.4.16, and not fvwm 2.5.7?

My guess is a lazy/inactive package maintainer. Mail and ask him:

root@bettan:~ $ apt-cache show fvwm | grep '^Maintainer:'
Maintainer: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://johan.svedberg.pp.se/

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:48:50 +0300

> fvwm 2.4.16, and not fvwm 2.5.7?

Meantime, you may try these deb snapshots from a month ago, newer than
2.5.7:

  http://fvwm-themes.sf.net/tmp/snapshots/

I think the next version 2.5.8 will be released as source, rpm (as usual)
and deb packages. Note however that these src, rpm and deb packages are
clean without any distribution specific configs like "old Debian hooks".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:13:48 -0700

> fvwm 2.4.16, and not fvwm 2.5.7?

   debian unstable is called unstable because it's not stable yet, not 
because it includes unstable (development) versions of apps. Generally 
debian unstable includes latest stable versions of apps (or at least 
that's the goal, as far as I can say).

	erik

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:27:59 +0200

> that's the goal, as far as I can say).

That's correct. Although that doesn't prevent them from adding the development 
version as well, but under a different name (such as they do with a lot
of packages). And i too am longing for the FVWM development versions in
Debian unstable, because FVWM is about the only package i still have to
install from source.

cheers,
Remko

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Sep 2003 12:21:57 -0400

>> that's the goal, as far as I can say).

  rt> That's correct. Although that doesn't prevent them from adding the
  rt> development version as well, but under a different name (such as
  rt> they do with a lot of packages). And i too am longing for the FVWM
  rt> development versions in Debian unstable, because FVWM is about the
  rt> only package i still have to install from source.

Ever tried http://www.apt-get.org ??

Try adding:

  deb http://people.debian.org/~sacha/debian stable main
  deb http://people.debian.org/~sacha/debian unstable main
  deb-src http://people.debian.org/~sacha/debian unstable main

to sources.list.  Note that these aren't all that up-to-date; I think
the version there is still 2.5.6.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:24:21 -0700

> Debian unstable, because FVWM is about the only package i still have to

   that's true. did you try to ask maintainer?

	erik

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 10:00:04 +0200

> the version there is still 2.5.6.

Nevertheless interesting ;-) 
I guess the maintainer decided to put it in a separate apt-repository
instead of in the main unstable repository. 

thanks,
Remko