Subject: FVWM: events on root window in fvwm/nautilus (gnome)

From: Filip Hroch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:29:48 +0200

Hi All,

I'm trying to configure the development brach of fvwm-2.5.6 
under the gnome2/nautilus environment provided by Debian/unstable 
(the fvwm package by debian maintainer A. Kotelnikov).

All work nicely but I have problem with associating of some
actions. I'm accustomed to use of the root window menu on X window
root and mouse strokes by this way:

Mouse 1         R       A       Menu "LongRootMenu" Nop
Mouse 3         R       2
Stroke N654 3 R 2 Desk -1 0
Stroke N456 3 R 2 Desk +1 0

The presented functions works nicely in plain Xwindow envirnoment
as well as in gnome2 without nautilus running. The configuration
doesn't work when nautilus manages of Xroot window (It show some 
beautiful rectangles and nautilus menu, but it isn't what I want). 

There is a way to not propagate events from fvwm to nautilus or to
mask the xroot nautilus window for fvwm as a plain xroot window? 
Is this question for fvwm comunity people or for nautilus developers?
(Or there is a another file manager for gnome2 with support of icons
on the desktop? :-))

Best regards
FH

 behauviour of the 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:34:52 +0100 (BST)

--- Filip Hroch <[email-masked]> wrote: > 
> Hi All,

[..snip..]

> (Or there is a another file manager for gnome2 with support of icons

ROX-Filer can have a similar "problem". What happens is that Nautilus is
taking over control of the root-window. There is probably a setting in
there (as there is for ROX-Filer) to pass mouse bindings back to the
underlying WM.

There may well be some kind of EWMH you could try to use (man fvwm).

Never having used natilus, I wouldn't know where to look for that, but I
would assume there is. Furthermore, I don't think FVWM has a
"root-window-override" mechanism (perhaps that goes against ICCM2.0?).

Kind Regards,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:27:17 -0700

> there (as there is for ROX-Filer) to pass mouse bindings back to the

   IIRC there is a setting in nautilus about desktop (root window) control

	erik