Subject: FVWM: Icon styles

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:09:59 +0200

Hello all,

I am using fvwm 2.5.7 and am trying to make all icons of all
applications look the same save for the pixmap. I have the following
in my .fvwmrc:

Style *           IconSize 32 32
Style *           IconBackgroundColorset grey60
Style *           IconBackgroundRelief 3
Style *           IconBackgroundPadding 0
Style *           IconTitleRelief 3

However, some applications seemt o ignore these styles, most notably,
java applications.

Another problem I have is when I start the thunderbird mail
application, the icon for it doesn't show up until I restart fvwm. The
Icon style for thunderbird is as follows:

Style Inbox*        Icon Mailbox-Summer.dir.xpm

Does anybody have any idea on how to solve these problems? I'd be very
grateful,

thank you,

Ian.
-- 
Occam's Razor: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually the correct one. (William of Occam, 14th century)

Darwin's Blade: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually stupidity. (Darwin Minor in "Darwin's Blade" by Dan Simmons)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:26:17 +0100 (BST)

--- Ian <[email-masked]> wrote: > Hello all,

Hello,
 
> However, some applications seemt o ignore these styles, most notably,

One of the more notorious for this is "Netscape". I'd also be inclined to
add:

Style *            IconOverride

> Does anybody have any idea on how to solve these problems? I'd be very

Not sure on the secondone.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:33:30 +0200

> One of the more notorious for this is "Netscape". I'd also be inclined to

Sorry, that doesn't help :(

Thank you very much anyway.

Ian.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:11:15 +0300

> Sorry, that doesn't help :(

Yes, neither this nor

  Style ** IconOverride

does not work as one would expect.

You should specify the style name for _every_ problematic window,
i.e.:

  Style Eterm IconOverride, Icon norm/terminal.xpm
  Style Xpdf  IconOverride, Icon norm/viewer.xpm

I would be happy myself if at least "Style ** IconOverride" would do what
the name suggest, disable any application supplied icon for all apps.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:15:44 +0100 (BST)

> the name suggest, disable any application supplied icon for all apps.

Yes, perhaps that is one for the future. At least I was on the right lines
as per the right style "IconOverride" :)
 
-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:56:22 +0200

> the name suggest, disable any application supplied icon for all apps.

This doesn't work for me either.

Style JChat*"       IconOverride, Icon nedit.xpm

JChat is an in-house java chat app, and comes up with a really small
icon, suitable for taskbasrs ala KDE and GNOME. (Some of my best
friends like those things, I don't ;). But for *real* icons it's too
small. Problem with this one is, it sets its icon at runtime or
something... I'm gonna have to go take a look-see in that java source
and see if I can fix it.

Just tested another very reluctant java app, and it seems to compy now
:)

Any idea why the IconBackgroundRelief and IconBackgroundPadding are
honoured by some icons and not by others? Does this have to do with a
pixmap being transparent or not?

Thank you all.

Ian.
(sorry if this got sent twice, from my end something seemed to have
gone wrong with sending this message)
-- 
Occam's Razor: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually the correct one. (William of Occam, 14th century)

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:36:53 +0200

Thank you all.

Ian.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:23:20 +0200

> Style JChat*"       IconOverride, Icon nedit.xpm
             ^^^

Try it without the stray double quote.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:43:28 +0200 (CEST)

> However, some applications seemt o ignore these styles, most notably,

Applications that supply there own icon window (as opposed to a pixmap or
bitmap) override IconSize,IconBackground* and IconTitleRelief styles.

I would like to implement IconSize for those icons too (I guess it could
be done by swallowing the windows, like FvwmButtons does).
So perhaps in 3.0... :-)

//Marcus

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:26:44 +0200

> Try it without the stray double quote.

Gee... that worked :)

Thank you all very much.

Ian.

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:39:37 +0200

> be done by swallowing the windows, like FvwmButtons does).

I managed them all to at least comply to the sizes. That's a big win.
However, IconBackgroundRelief and IconBackgroundPadding and stuff I
can't seem to force on all. Some comply, some don't. Seems to me png's
and xpm's that do not have a background of themselves, or are
transparent in certain parts don't take the IconBackgroundColorset and
everything else. Is there any way around this? It would also be nice
if the icon titles wouldn't expand as soon as they get focus. The
titles cover other icons then and makes it hard to click on "the other
one" if your mouse flies over one that is right next to it.

Thank you for the good work sofar.

Ian.