Subject: FVWM: Window placement

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:27:21 +0200

Good evning!

I've created a nice bar using FvwmButtons which I'm really pleased with.
For this bar I use StaysOnTop, I also use MinOverlapPercentPlacement as
default placement. I would however like to go even further than
StaysOnTop; is it possible to make the bar space totaly clean, meaning
no other windows can be placed there, not even on another layer? Like a
really thick EdgeResistance on that window... :-)

Regards,

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://johan.svedberg.pp.se/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:21:07 -0600

> really thick EdgeResistance on that window... :-)
how about:

EwmhBaseStruts 0 0 0 25

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:32:39 -0600

> EwmhBaseStruts 0 0 0 25

I just noticed in the man page the MinOverlapPlacementPenalties style,
you might want to read up on that, and Ewmh struts in the man page...

:-)

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:22:15 +0200

* Sep 26 22:36 S. Anderson <[email-masked]>:
> > > I've created a nice bar using FvwmButtons which I'm really pleased
> > > with. For this bar I use StaysOnTop, I also use
> > > MinOverlapPercentPlacement as default placement. I would however
> > > like to go even further than StaysOnTop; is it possible to make
> > > the bar space totaly clean, meaning no other windows can be placed
> > > there, not even on another layer? Like a really thick
> > > EdgeResistance on that window... :-)
> > >
>
> > how about: EwmhBaseStruts 0 0 0 25
>

This indeed seem to be what I'm looking for, just have to go unstable
first. Thanks!

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:00:10 +0200

* Sep 26 23:24 Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>:
> > > > I've created a nice bar using FvwmButtons which I'm really
> > > > pleased with. For this bar I use StaysOnTop, I also use
> > > > the bar space totaly clean, meaning no other windows can be
> > > > placed there, not even on another layer? Like a really thick
> > I just noticed in the man page the MinOverlapPlacementPenalties
> > style, you might want to read up on that, and Ewmh struts in the man
> > page...
>

Also noticed there is something interesting called
EWMHPlacementUseWorkingArea. I've read the documentation on this a few
times but can't get it to work. If someone knows how to setup this (the
bar is at 30+0-0) feel free to help. :-)

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:13:57 +0200

* Sep 27 00:01 Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>:
> > > > > MinOverlapPercentPlacement as default placement. I would
> > > > > however like to go even further than StaysOnTop; is it
> > > > > possible to make the bar space totaly clean, meaning no other
> > > > > windows can be placed there, not even on another layer? Like a
> > > style, you might want to read up on that, and Ewmh struts in the
> > > man page...
> >
> > This indeed seem to be what I'm looking for, just have to go
> > unstable first. Thanks!
>
> times but can't get it to work. If someone knows how to setup this
> (the bar is at 30+0-0) feel free to help. :-)

I just tried "xprop | grep _NET_WM_STRUT" followed by clicking at the
FvwmButtons, but no numbers appear. Is there a solution to this?

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:11:50 +0200

* Sep 27 00:15 Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>:

[...]

> FvwmButtons, but no numbers appear. Is there a solution to this?

Yay, it's working now, very cool stuff. Thanks again for the tip.