Subject: FVWM: CirculateSkip Problem

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:11:22 +0200

Hi there again,

The  conditional  command  "All"   seems   to   reject   the
CirculateSkip  style  option. The following code should keep
one xterm window open: 

DestroyFunc showme
AddToFunc showme
+ I Style test CirculateSkip
+ I Exec xterm -T test
+ I Wait test
+ I Exec xterm -T normal
+ I Wait normal
+ I All (CurrentPage) Close

Function showme

On my box all windows on the current page are closed, which
should not happen. At least the xterm "test" should remain
open.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive our mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:09:49 +0200

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:11:22AM +0200, Uwe Pross wrote:
> CirculateSkip  style  option.

As documented in the man page.  Use

  All (!CirculateHit, CurrentPage) Close

instead.

> The following code should keep one xterm window open: 
> 
> DestroyFunc showme
> AddToFunc showme

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:57:35 +0200

Hi there,

>   All (!CirculateHit, CurrentPage) Close

Well, this works. But I don't get behind the logic of
this. Applying a style "CirculateSkip" to a window means to
me that this window is to be skipped when I cycle through
windows using Prev, Next and All. 

Further, conditional commands work on "all windows meeting
the conditions."
So if a window is set to be "CirculateSkip" how can the
condition "!CirculateHit" execlude this window.

I thought the idea about the CirculateSkip style is that
this window is execluded by the conditional commands by
default. From the man page:
	 
                       The All command implies the condi-
  tions  CirculateHit,  CirculateHitIcon   and   Circula-
  teHitShaded.   They  can  be  turned  off by specifying
  "!CirculateHit" etc. explicitly.

The styles Circulate* are not described in the man page at
all. Isn't the style CirculateHit the default for windows
which do not have the CirculateSkip style?

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:26:08 +0300

> windows using Prev, Next and All. 

Only Prev and Next by default consider the CirculateSkip style option.
Others by default do not do this. If you are not sure what are the
defaults, you may always specify the corresponding condition,
CirculateHit or !CirculateHit, but often it just works as expected.

> condition "!CirculateHit" execlude this window.

Condition CirculateHit (the default for All) means do not consider the
CirculateSkip style option. Respectively, "!CirculateHit" means consider.

The name of the condition CirculateHit is highly unfortunate. It should
be something like IgnoreCirculateSkipStyleOption.

> which do not have the CirculateSkip style?

I hope the above explanation helps to distinguish between CirculateHit
condition (bad name) and CirculateHit style option.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:50:20 +0200

Hi there,

On 08 Sep 2003 at 14:26:08 +0300, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> Condition CirculateHit (the default for All) means do not
> consider the CirculateSkip style option. Respectively,
> "!CirculateHit" means consider.
> 
> The name of the condition CirculateHit is highly
> unfortunate. It should be something like
> IgnoreCirculateSkipStyleOption.

That explains it. Twice the same name for quite different
things caused my confusing.

Logically CirculateHit (or !CirculateSkip) condition would
match all windows which do not have the CirculateSkip style.
So !CirculateHit (or CirculateSkip) condition would match
all windows which do have the CirculateSkip style applied. A
third condition say IgnoreCirculateSkipStyleOption would
match both styles.

> I hope the above explanation helps to distinguish between
> CirculateHit condition (bad name) and CirculateHit style
> option.

It does. I hope this confusion will be fixed in some of the
next versions or well explained in the man page ;-)

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers, Uwe