Subject: FVWM: notice: Fvwm applets and locales

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:21:59 +0200

Hi!

I've noticed, that using some FvwmApplets doesn't look nice, or not
working, when you set locales.

Gergo
-- 
+-[ Kontra, Gergely<[email-masked]> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
| http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely            "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy  |
| Mobil:(+36 20) 356 9656 ICQ: 175564914   poroltoval kellene jarnom" |
+-- Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net --+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:28:17 +0200

> working, when you set locales.

Which fvwm version?  Fvwm is fully localised since 2.5.x.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:00:28 +0200

> Which fvwm version?  Fvwm is fully localised since 2.5.x.
Fvwm version 2.5.8 (from cvs)
Eg: DigitalClock gets output from date. Date's arguments depends on the
LANG environment variable. In the script, it just cut-n-paste some
characters.

But:
date's output (LANG unset)
Mon Sep 29 13:58:55 CEST 2003
date's output (LANG=hu_HU)
2003. sze. 29., hétfő, 14.00.23 CEST

I get hétfő for DigitalClock...

Gergo

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:06:59 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:00:28PM +0200, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
> 2003. sze. 29., hétf?, 14.00.23 CEST
> 
> I get hétf? for DigitalClock...

What does "DigitalClock" have to do with fvwm?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:53:22 +0200

> What does "DigitalClock" have to do with fvwm?

I mean /usr/share/fvwm/FvwmApplet-DigitalClock
Is it not a "standard" fvwmscript? Then sorry for the noise.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:08:57 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:53:22PM +0200, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
> Is it not a "standard" fvwmscript?

No, they are not from the distribution package.

> Then sorry for the noise.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:05:51 +0300

> > > working, when you set locales.

All FvwmScript configs named FvwmApplet-* belong to fvwm-themes.

> 2003. sze. 29., h?tf?, 14.00.23 CEST
> 
> I get h?tf? for DigitalClock...

Probably the font specified in the FvwmApplet-DigitalClock configuration
does not exist for your locale charset, I run:

  xlsfonts -fn '-*-lucida-bold-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*'

and get that there are only iso10646-1, iso8859-1 and koi8-r versions.
If this is true for you too then you will obviously not see Hungarian
characters (they are not in iso8859-1, I guess). You may try to use
hu_HU.utf8 locale, then it should work. Alternativelly, you may try to
specify some existing Hungarian font (iso8859-2?), or even something
like this:

  Font StringEncoding=iso8859-2:-*-lucida-bold-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1

Tell us if this works.

Regards,
Mikhael.