Subject: FVWM: Mozilla titlebar problem

From: Adam Woodworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:18:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I've searched google, newsgroups, and #fvwm (unfortunately the fvwm
mailing list appears to be unsearchable), but haven't found an answer to
this:

If I have an instance of mozilla running, and then I launch another
instance of mozilla, the new mozilla window does not have my rightmost
titlebar button (which is my Close button).  This happens regardless of
what my rightmost titlebar button is.

If I open a new mozilla window from the first mozilla instance, then all
the titlebar buttons are there.  It's only when I execute the mozilla
binary again does this problem appear.

I'm using FVWM v2.4.6 and Mozilla 1.0.0 on Debian Linux 3.0.

Using DecorateTransient doesn't fix this, and I can't figure out how to do
fix it any other way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Scott McWhirter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:30:15 +0100

> Using DecorateTransient doesn't fix this, and I can't figure out how to do
That's because when mozilla launches a new window it's using the same
engine in memory, so all windows running from within your 'profile' will
be linked together.
It's got to do with the way that mozilla tells the WM about it's
transient windows... there is no real solution to this...
however,

when opening a new window (well sorta) try this:
mozilla -remote 'openWindow($url,new-tab)'

It'll open $url in a new tab within the current mozilla window, and the
tabs have their own close buttons.
I have a script to specifically do this:
  http://kungfuftr.com/code/mozilla-decide

have fun!

-- 
-Scott McWhirter- | -kungfuftr-

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:12:03 +0300

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I neither can understand how this may happen with the main
(non-transient) browser window nor may reproduce this with my mozilla,
but I think this line should fix it:

  ButtonStyle All - Clear  # remove all default titlebar button hints

Optionally, you may also want to setup correct hints for your buttons
(the default hints are for 2=Maximize, 4=Iconify, not what you have):

  ButtonStyle 1 - MwmDecorMenu
  ButtonStyle 6 - MwmDecorMin
  ButtonStyle 4 - MwmDecorMax

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Adam Woodworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:29:12 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Scott.

I'm going to try to use Mozilla Firebird instead, which doesn't have this
problem, and is faster at browsing anyways.  Although instead of just
exec'ing the MozillaFirebird program again you have to do a remote
command, like you mentioned for normal Mozilla.  This is because running
the MozillaFirebird program again will say you can't run it because the
default profile is in use, and makes you pick a different one.  How
annoying.

I use this remote command, which opens up a new blank window:

MozillaFirebird -remote "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)"

And I use this script to launch Mozilla from an Fvwm menu:  (Credits to
Scott for providing the original script that I modified to suit my needs.
I'd forgotten all about the usefulness of the Shell Perl module!)

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Shell;
my $run = qq{/path/to/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird};
# Is mozilla running?
my $is_running = pidof("MozillaFirebird-bin");
chomp($is_running);
if($is_running){
	# Mozilla is running....
	$run .= qq{ -remote "xfeDoCommand(openBrowser)"};
}
exec("$run&");

>   http://kungfuftr.com/code/mozilla-decide

_______________________________________________________________________
  Adam Woodworth
  SMTP : [email-masked]
  HTTP : http://www.mirkwood.com
  HAM  : N1ZNN

---

From: Adam Woodworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:27:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mikhael,

Thanks for the suggestion, although neither of these (alone or together)
fixed the problem.  But Firebird is working wonderfully so far! :)

Adam