Subject: FVWM: EWMHMiniIconOverride for Galeon?

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:17:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks

fvwm 2.5.7

I have:

  Style Galeon		EWMHMiniIconOverride, MiniIcon galeon.png

My mini icon png exists and is fine (and used to be used with
galeon 1.2). Since I went to galeon 1.3.7 it is donating its own
mini icon. fvwm uses this in titlebars, but on attempts to include
this in a menu (actually FvwmWindowMenu) produces the error:

 [FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't load image from ewmh_mini_icon

and no mini icon. I believe my Style line above should fix this, but
it doesn't. Am I using it wrong?

Thanks
Ric

Richard J Lister
Dept of Neuroscience
Georgetown University Medical Center
http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:17:29 +0200

> it doesn't. Am I using it wrong?

Note first that galeon 1.2 works with gtk 1 and have no EWMH icons.

Secondly, Indeed, If you use FvwmWindowMenu

	"Style * EWMHMiniIconOverride"

is appropriate for consistency (One day we may "fix" this
miss-feature).

Finally I cannot reproduce your problem here (EWMHMiniIconOverride
works here for my KDE3 and GNOME2 apps, but I've no galeon 1.3.x). I
imagine you check that, but are you sure that "galeon" match your
running galeon? What's happen with "Style * EWMHMiniIconOverride"?

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:29:57 -0400 (EDT)

Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> wrote
on Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:17:29 +0200:
>
> Subject: Re: FVWM: EWMHMiniIconOverride for Galeon?
>

Ack, I'm so stupid. I assumed "galeon" was matching the class
because the UseStyle was getting set in the same line. Turns
out I had a rogue wildcard on that style from testing something
else.

Changed it to match the class and it now works.

However, without the EWMHMiniIconOverride, WindowList and
FvwmIconMan get the ewmh icon provided by the app. FvwmWindowMenu
causes fvwm to throw the error above. It seems that the string
"ewmh_mini_icon" is getting sent in M_MINI_ICON for galeon, rather
than the icon name, as in other cases. In this case why does
FvwmIconMan work? Am I using that packet wrong?

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister
Dept of Neuroscience

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:45:41 +0200

> FvwmIconMan work? Am I using that packet wrong?

Because FvwmIconMan (as the TaskBar and WinList) use the pixmap ids
(picture, mask, alpha, width, height and depth members of the
M_MINI_ICON packet) and not the name. For Fixing FvwmWindowMenu we
should add a new fvwm menu syntax to be able to pass an ewmh_mini_icon
(e.g., %ewmi(window_id)%), but I do not think that it is the time to
do that.

To avoid the error we may always send the name from the MiniIcon style
as I do not think that ewmh_mini_icon is used. However, sometimes
error is better: in this case the error "says" that you should use
"Style * EWMHMiniIconOverride" to get the same mini-icon everywhere.

Regards, Olivier