Subject: FVWM: Default configuration

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:08:04 +0200

Hi together,

I am in setting up a fvwm installation for a number of
people. Is there a default configuration file for fvwm or is
the default compiled in only?
I checked my local installation but there does not seem a
default config in it. I would prefer a system wide config
since it is simpler to maintain.

As always ;-) Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive our mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:59:31 +0200

> since it is simpler to maintain.

There are a couple of built-in defaults and the ConfigFvwmDefaults
file.  Other than that, the man page describes how fvwm looks for
its config file:

       Fvwm first searches for configuration files  using the
       command

            Read .fvwm2rc

       This  looks  for  .fvwm2rc in $HOME/.fvwm or $FVWM_USERDIR
       directories, as described in Read below.  If  this  fails,
       fvwm also searches for this file in the $HOME directory or
       for system.fvwm2rc file in the system place.  If a config
       uration file is not found, any mouse button or the Help or
       F1 keys on the root window brings up menus and forms  that
       can create a starting configuration file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:08:43 +0200

Hi there,

On 26 Aug 2003 at 12:59:31 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

>        for system.fvwm2rc file in the system place. 

The system place it the one given with the --prefix option
during configuration?

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:49:36 +0200

> The system place it the one given with the --prefix option

Unless specified differently, it's

  <prefix>/share/fvwm/<version>

(The data directory in the configure summary with <version>
appended).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:06:13 +0300

> (The data directory in the configure summary with <version>

The data directory is actually <prefix>/share/fvwm.

As for the original question, I would just put "fvwm-themes-start"
instead of "fvwm" to the user's start up scripts and stop to worry.
The users then could choose themselves any look and feel they want
(or leave the default theme).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:07:06 +0200

Hi there,

> (or leave the default theme).

I had a try with fvwm-themes. I installed  it  as  described
but after starting it there is no theme selection at all. In
one of my logfiles there is a message which  seems  to  come
from fvwm-themes: 

Can't load module Data::Dumper, dynamic loading not available in this perl.
  (You may need to build a new perl executable which either supports
  dynamic loading or has the Data::Dumper module statically linked into it.)
 at /home/4all/packages/fvwm-2.5.7/themes/bin/fvwm-themes-config line 618

Could this state the cause for the failure? Is there a way
to get it run without upgrading perl?

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:21:00 +0300

> to get it run without upgrading perl?

"dynamic loading not available in this perl"?

This is the first time I see report. Did you compile perl yourself and
disable some features at compile time? It seems unlikely that any
distributer distributes perl without such core feature.

After searching in Google, one of the possible reasons may be your
libperl.so not corresponding to your perl executable, that is f.e. at:

  /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so

It seems that your perl instalation is partially broken, so I suggest to
install some distibuted binary package (or compile yourself).

Otherwise, what happens if you comment our the "require Data::Dumper;"
line and add "use Data::Dumper;" at the beginning of the script?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:21:38 +0300

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:50:19 +0200

Hi there,

>   /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so

You pointed it out :-) I am on the university network  where
a  lot  versions  of programs are installed. I compiled fvwm
and fvwm-themes on a solaris 5.6 machine to get  it  run  at
most  of  our boxes. This machine has no own perl so it uses
one provided by the university's network. My  box  has  it's
own  perl  so  there  was actually a dynamic link problem. I
have changed the path to perl in fvwm-themes-config  and  it
works ;-) 

As we say the problem is always  sitting  in  front  of  the
keyboard :-) 

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:43:45 +0300

> have changed the path to perl in fvwm-themes-config  and  it

The correct way is of course to install fvwm and fvwm-themes after
setting either PATH or PERL to point to the correct perl, like
/usr/univ/perl5.005.

Otherwise you may manually edit the first script lines, but you should do
this for all fvwm-* and fvwm-themes-* scripts, not just one script.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:21:09 +0200

Hi there,

On 27 Aug 2003 at 13:43:45 +0300, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> The correct way is of course to install fvwm and
> fvwm-themes after setting either PATH or PERL to point to
> the correct perl, like /usr/univ/perl5.005.
> 
> Otherwise you may manually edit the first script lines,
> but you should do this for all fvwm-* and fvwm-themes-*
> scripts, not just one script.

Well, I did that and fvwm-themes starts now as expected. But
I  cannot  do  a  theme  change. After selecting for example
"Theme Management" -> "CDE" -> "[all]" nothing happens apart
from  that  all windows do not get focus anymore so I cannot
type anything in shells  etc.  even  mouse  clicks  are  not
accepted. Only restart seems to help. 

There are no meaningful entries in the log files. The only
thing which seems to come from fvwm-theme is

[FVWM][expand_vars]: <<DEPRECATED>> Use $[version.line] instead of $v
[FvwmScript][ReadConfig]: <<ERROR>> Can't open the script FvwmScript-NoteMessage

... wait ...

I got it work. I copied all scripts from 

<path>/packages/fvwm-2.5.7/themes/share/fvwm

to 

<path>/packages/fvwm-2.5.7/share/fvwm

and started over. Theme switching works now :-) 

Wonderfull!!! Thanks again.

Uwe

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:45:47 +0200

Hi there,

On 27 Aug 2003 at 13:21:09 +0200, Uwe Pross wrote:

> Theme switching works now :-) 

Using the CDE theme one gets black foreground on black
background. Any hints how to change this?

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:21:00 +0300

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:21:17 +0300

> background. Any hints how to change this?

Uwe, please spend some minutes and install fvwm and then fvwm-themes
properly (i.e. using "./configure; make; make install") without any
copying of directories or correcting paths, otherwise you will surely
experience problems in one or another place.

Then if there is any problem, I will be glad to help. The CDE and Luthien
themes depend on FvwmM4 and awk, in case the problem still persists.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:50:51 +0200

Hi there,

On 27 Aug 2003 at 19:21:17 +0300, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> Uwe, please spend some minutes and install fvwm and then
> fvwm-themes properly (i.e. using "./configure; make; make
> install") without any copying of directories or correcting
> paths, otherwise you will surely experience problems in
> one or another place.

You are right I copied some files  and  adapted  some  paths
since  it  is  not that easy to get it work on many machines
for many users. Some users have different settings  of  PATH
and  LD_LIBRARY_PATH  and  on  machines  do not have a local
installed perl or gawk. 
That's the cause I played around. Most times it works on  my
box,  but  asking my collegue shows that it is different for
another user and/or machine. 

> Then if there is any problem, I will be glad to help. The
> CDE and Luthien themes depend on FvwmM4 and awk, in case
> the problem still persists.

I copied (again I know :) the file "colors" from the default
theme  to  the cde directory. So I got now this color scheme
with CDE. This works - I think we don't need different color
settings for CDE so this workaround is sufficient. 

Thanks again, Mikhael, for the help and the hints.

Cheers, Uwe

BTW: Good work on fvwm-themes :-) For most  users  having  a
window  manager  that  preconfigured  is good since they can
immediately start working and have a nice and  useable  look
too.  Hopefully I get the time to integrate my fvwm settings
in a theme ;-) 
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive our mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].