Subject: FVWM: MwmDecor* ButtonStyles not working

From: Matthias Czapla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:47:33 +0200

Hi!

Im using fvwm 2.4.6 on Debian Woody. There are three Buttons on the right
hand side with the following functions:

2 Close
4 Maximise
6 Iconify

I wondered about the strange way Buttons were left out on transient windows,
which made no sense and furthermore did the Close-Button look pressed on
maximized windows. I tried changing this with

ButtonStyle 6 - MwmDecorMin
ButtonStyle 4 - MwmDecorMax
ButtonStyle 2 - Clear

without luck. I temporarily work around this problem by putting the
Minimize- and Maximize-Buttons to the rightmost position, what seems to be
what everyone is expecting. But I really want Iconify, Maximize, Close in
that order from left to right. Ill attach my fvwm2rc and post.hook, which
gets included after all command in fvwm2rc, to this mail.

BTW, is there a way to _always_ show all Buttons on every window (except
ones without a border at all, eg. xmms etc.)?

Regards
lal

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:01:25 +0300

On 27 Aug 2003 02:47:33 +0200, Matthias Czapla wrote:
> without luck.

I can't reproduce what you say.

If I create this minimal .fvwm2rc file, the correct buttons are removed,
for example, in Find dialog of Netscape:

  Style * DecorateTransient, MWMButtons, MWMFunctions

  ButtonStyle 1 - Clear MwmDecorMenu
  ButtonStyle 2 - Clear
  ButtonStyle 4 - Clear MwmDecorMax
  ButtonStyle 6 - Clear MwmDecorMin

  Mouse 0 1 A Menu MenuFvwmRoot
  Mouse 0 2 A Close
  Mouse 0 4 A Maximize
  Mouse 0 6 A Iconify

You may also run the first 5 lines in FvwmConsole to verify they work.

Are you sure the correct configuration is executed? Try to create the
.fvwm2rc from scratch by adding something, verifying it works, adding
something else and so on.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Matthias Czapla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:33:57 +0200

> something else and so on.

Yeah, youre right. With your minimal .fvwm2rc it works. Must be a problem
with my configuration interfering with the Debian defaults.. Ill investigate
it further. Thanks for your help.

Regards
lal

---

From: Matthias Czapla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:34:14 +0200

Hi!

I think Ive tackled the problem down to the UseDecor Style. Consider this
fvwm2rc:

DestroyDecor defaultdec
AddToDecor defaultdec
+ ButtonStyle Reset

#Style * UseDecor defaultdec

If you comment the line with UseDecor out youll get the strange button
behaviour. Or at least _I_ get it on my system ;)

Regards
lal