Subject: FVWM: Wiki: Scripts section and naming conventions

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:08:35 +0200

Hi,

I have another question concerning the current Wiki setup (sorry that I 
don't use the dedicated IRC channel - but it is really impractical for me): 
What is the "Scripts" section for? I put in some information on how to 
integrate the menus from CodeWeavers apps and the SuSE menus because 
someone already predefined a "Creating Menus" section. Now, I'm not so sure 
anymore that this is the correct place - maybe stuff like this belongs in 
the "Tips and Solutions" section. So, could someone please clarify what the 
"Scripts" section is for by documenting it in the Wiki?

Another related thing: In CreatingNewPages it says that the WikiNames for 
new subsections should be e.g. Tips/CenterWindow instead of CenterWindow. 
Doesn't this cause inconsistencies when rearranging sections as there seems 
to be no action in the Wiki for renaming pages?

Felix

-- 
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: RvB <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:09:28 +0200

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:08:35AM +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> Now, I'm not so sure 

the Scripts section is for scripts that dynamically "configure" FVWM.
yours generates a SuSE menu and is right in the Scripts section. Tips
and Solutions is for configuration snippets usw.

> to be no action in the Wiki for renaming pages?

we thought about this. and this is why our subpages structure is not
very deep. the subpages hirachy is independent from the hirachy on the
frontpage. Tips/CenterWindow is a tip, and always will be a tip, and so
it will stay in Tips/ ... we use this because a list of children of a
page can automatically be generated (at the moment this is only a test).

Good: Tips/GradientBackgrounds
Bad: Tips/Backgrounds/Gradient

;)

bye
	RvB (Rene van Bevern) <[email-masked]>

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:53:28 +0200

> page can automatically be generated (at the moment this is only a test).

But i have alwsy to refer to it as Tips/CenterWindow or need i just to
use CenterWindow? Maybe in the future there will be a lot of tips/* and
i don't really want to see them all on every tips-page. And then again
somebody will have to rename them on your machine to cut the piece
section in smaller, well defined pieces... I don't really got the
advantage of this whole subpage thing?!

Mario

-- 
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:50:14 +0300

> advantage of this whole subpage thing?!

Here is the advantage. Does CenterWindow page describe an fvwm command
(there were thoughts to add it), your new shell script, your config
snippet or some application? This can't be guessed from the name, so
such page name seems to be bad. Tips/CenterWindow name is intuitive.
Use ["Tips/CenterWindow"] syntax in your other pages to refer to it.

Think also about pages like Instalation/GNOME (compile time headers),
Integration/GNOME (run time), Scripts/GNOMEMenus (with user script
creating such menus attached), Tips/GNOMEMenus (using FvwmGtk or other
distributed modules or scripts). Any such name conflicts should be
reduced from the start.

I don't think this mailing list is good for discussing every small detail
of Wiki, Probably using irc or Wiki itself to leave your ideas, comments,
or questions is more appropriate.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:09:12 -0400

Say, would it be possible to move the wiki related messages to
another list, e.g. [email-masked]?

  - Parv

-- 
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
seeks employment:  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:39:34 +0200

On Friday 01 August 2003 12:09, RvB wrote:
> > Another related thing: In CreatingNewPages it says that the WikiNames
> > for new subsections should be e.g. Tips/CenterWindow instead of
> > CenterWindow. Doesn't this cause inconsistencies when rearranging
> > sections as there seems to be no action in the Wiki for renaming pages?
>

OK, this makes sense.

Felix