Subject: FVWM: trouble with Iconification...

From: King V <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:45:50 -0400

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the updated FVWM2 package, and behavior of
iconification.

Up until today, I was using FVWM 2.4.9  (package
fvwm2-2.4.9-1mdk.i586.rpm), and had things pretty much working as I liked
them, with my system.fvwm2rc set how I wanted.

I today upgraded to 2.4.14 package fvwm2-2.4.14-1mdk.i586.rpm).

However, when using the EXACT SAME system.fvwm2rc file, when I would
iconify the windows, they would just completely vanish.

I am using FvwmIconMan, and not using any actual icons, just listing them
in the upper left corner of the screen.

I finally figured that this was due to the:
Style *	NoIcon

line in my system.fvwm2rc file.  However, if I eliminate this line, not
only does the window iconify, but what appears to be some sort of default
icon manager ALSO has the window.

Please see:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/king-v/fvwm/scrshot.gif

As you can see, in the list of 5 windows, the 3rd one is iconified
(indicated by the small square next to the text of the window title).  Note
however that tucked behind the list, you can see trailing along the top
edge, to the right of the list, a titlebar of sorts (with the text
"omcast.net: /home/king_v" visible).

So now if I don't use NoIcon, I have that extra titlebar floating around
when I iconify a window, but if I use NoIcon, not only will that titlebar
be gone, but FvwmIconMan will lose the window from its list as well.

Is there a way around this?  How can I get the behavior that 2.4.9 was
giving me while still using the latest version?

Thanks in advance.

	- Joe Vahabzadeh

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:20:01 +0200

> iconify the windows, they would just completely vanish.

This bug has already been fixed.  Use fvwm-2.4.16.

> giving me while still using the latest version?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: King V <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:39:04 -0400

>This bug has already been fixed.  Use fvwm-2.4.16.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Sort of wandering off-topic.... but thus far the reason I was using 2.4.14
was because that was the latest Mandrake i586 rpm version I could find
(yes, I know, I'm very lazy when it comes to dealing with installing
software!).

Does anyone know if installing the Red-Hat 2.4.16, which is an i386
compile, or if using the Mandrake Cooker 2.4.16, is safe?  I've never quite
understood what the difference between a Mandrake and a Mandrake Cooker
version of software is.

Thanks in advance...

	- Joe Vahabzadeh

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:48:17 -0400

> understood what the difference between a Mandrake and a Mandrake Cooker

I haven't tried redhat or cooker so I can't be certain.

Cooker is where Mandrake has its untested software.

I'd guess you will be OK with cooker if it doesn't complain about
being dependent on shared libraries you don't have.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]