Subject: FVWM: SW Patents protest page

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:43:02 +0200

Hi there,

I am going to remove the protest web page against software
patents today or tommorow.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive our mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:17:20 +0200

Hi there,

> patents today or tommorow.

I decided to leave the protest page till monday when the
parliament vote takes place.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:47:27 +0200

> parliament vote takes place.

Read this:
    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/tol-29.08.03-000/

Thanks for participating!

BTW, we haven't made up our mind yet, whether we should encourage web
sites to continue protesting until the end of September, or not.

Felix

-- 
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de
Note that on Saturday, August 30th 2003, I won't be able to access
emails sent to the above address. So, on this day and on Friday evening,
use the address    
    felix DOT klee AT gmx DOT net
instead.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:21:26 +0200

>     http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/tol-29.08.03-000/

To sum it up in English:  partially due to the protests, the
acclamation in the EU parliament has been deferred until end of
September or later.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:57:18 +0200

Hi there,

On 29 Aug 2003 at 17:21:26 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> To sum it up in English: partially due to the protests,
> the acclamation in the EU parliament has been deferred
> until end of September or later.

Felix E. Klee wrote:

> BTW, we haven't made up our mind yet, whether we should
> encourage web sites to continue protesting until the end
> of September, or not.

I am for continuation protesting since the matter  is  quite
serious.  The last court decision about a sw patent of Eolas
which claims m$ has used its technique for embedded links is
a  very  good example (even if I think m$ can afford to lose
some  lawsuits).  Even  the  w3c  is  concerned  about  this
decision  since  it  may effect all plugin techniques. Maybe
this decision will help to avoid sw patents in europe. 

I suggest to put a statement on top of each page which shows
our  protest  against  sw  patents.  But I could go with the
current protest page as well.

Any other thoughts/opinions?

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:19:41 +0200 (CEST)

> serious.  The last court decision about a sw patent of Eolas

So am I.  I think the issue is serious enough to maintain
the protest until the end.  Or at least for some time more.

The form of the prostest is not annoying (pop-up windows
certainly would be... :)) and it cound bring other people
to actively support the case.  Even if there is only slight
chance of it, it's worth doing.

   Regards,
     Dawid