Subject: FVWM: How do you "shutdown" to power down the computer?

From: "jon kersten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 02:10:29 +0100

Hello,
I just installed Red Hat 5.2.  Logged on to root.  typed xdm, got the log in
screen.  Logged in as root again.  I now can not seem to shut down the
computer.  ctrlaltdel doesn't work.  Shutdown -h  now in the term window
doesn't seem to work, it just goes back to the xwindow log in screen.  Is it
safe to power down at this point?  I have FVWM2  window manager.
Thanks in advance, I have searched all 1020 pages of the SAMS book Red Hat
Linux Unleashed  and 861 pages of QUE's Using Unix.
Jon Kersten
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:15:06 -0700

> Linux Unleashed  and 861 pages of QUE's Using Unix.

   shutdown -h now

   man shutdown for more info

   ctrl-alt-del usually works only from text console (not from X 
windows), use ctrl-alt-F1 to get to text console (usually F1 - F6 are 
text consoles, F7 is your X windows session)

   you have better chances for good responses in more general linux 
mailing list/newsgroup, possibly specific to your distro.

	erik

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:03:35 +0200

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 02:10:29 +0100
"jon  kersten" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I just installed Red Hat 5.2.  Logged on to root.  typed xdm, got the
> log in screen.  Logged in as root again.  I now can not seem to shut
> down the computer.  ctrlaltdel doesn't work.  Shutdown -h  now in the
> term window doesn't seem to work, it just goes back to the xwindow log
> in screen.  Is it safe to power down at this point?  I have FVWM2 
> window manager. Thanks in advance, I have searched all 1020 pages of
> the SAMS book Red Hat Linux Unleashed  and 861 pages of QUE's Using
> Unix. Jon Kersten
> [email-masked]

Sometimes shutdown crashes (I don't know why) and leaves a
'hard-to-kill' process in memory. While this process is running, you
can't re-execute shutdown. kill -anything doesn't affect the process,
but eventually it dies, allowing you to successfully re-execute
shutdown. 

If there is no shutdown process running, try logging in as root from the
console(ie not in X or fvwm) and execute shutdown from there.

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
Tel : (011) 712 1371   Cell : 082 902 5632
Fax : (011) 339 3421
Internet : http://ucs.co.za
Email    : [email-masked]

To err is human,
To purr feline.
                -- Robert Byrne

Powered by Debian GNU/Linux - testing/unstable