Subject: FVWM: symbols disappear after 2.4.6 to 2.5.7 upgrade

From: "No Spam, Please" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 03:24:15 -0400

Hello,
Upgrade from FVWM 2.4.6 to 2.5.7 seemed to go OK, but the symbols on 
the buttons on the right side of the title bar vanished.  Looks like 
the meaning of "...@3" and "...@2" in a vector ButtonStyle may have 
been swapped between 2.4.6 and 2.5.7, because when I changed my 
ButtonStyles from ...@3 to ...@2, the button symbols came back, as 
they had been.

I know that 2.5.7 is running, because I now see PNG icons in 
FvwmButtons.  By the same token, I know that my ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc is 
being read, because FvwmButtons comes up with my layout.

Here are the button definitions:

#DMW,07AUG03,Upgrade from 2.4.6 to 2.5.7 caused these to become 
invisible.
# fg color (@3) and bg color (@2) have swapped.  Commented out lines 
using
# "...@3" and created new ones using "...@2".
#DMW#close button w/ an X (Note:  change the 3-D shadow color scheme 
to
#DMW#a 2-D high-contrast scheme in all buttons):
Mouse 0     2     A        Close
#ButtonStyle 2 16 20x20@1 30x20@1 50x40@1 70x20@1 80x20@1 80x30@0 
60x50@0 80x80@0 70x80@0 50x60@0 30x80@0 20x80@0 20x70@0 40x50@1 
20x30@0 20x20@1
#ButtonStyle 2 16 20x20@3 30x20@3 50x40@3 70x20@3 80x20@3 80x30@3 
60x50@3 80x80@3 70x80@3 50x60@3 30x80@3 20x80@3 20x70@3 40x50@3 
20x30@3 20x20@3
ButtonStyle 2 16 20x20@2 30x20@2 50x40@2 70x20@2 80x20@2 80x30@2 
60x50@2 80x80@2 70x80@2 50x60@2 30x80@2 20x80@2 20x70@2 40x50@2 
20x30@2 20x20@2

#DMW#maximize button w/ glyph of a window being maximized:
Mouse 0     4     A        Maximize-Func
#ButtonStyle 4 11 95x10@0 95x75@0 25x75@0 65x75@0 65x90@0 10x90@0 
10x55@1 25x55@1 25x75@1 25x10@1 95x10@1
#ButtonStyle 4 11 95x10@3 95x75@3 25x75@3 65x75@3 65x90@3 10x90@3 
10x55@3 25x55@3 25x75@3 25x10@3 95x10@3
ButtonStyle 4 11 95x10@2 95x75@2 25x75@2 65x75@2 65x90@2 10x90@2 
10x55@2 25x55@2 25x75@2 25x10@2 95x10@2

#DMW#minimize button w/ glyph of a window being minimized:
Mouse 0     6     A        Iconify
#ButtonStyle 6 17 95x20@0 95x60@0 75x60@0 75x40@0 75x70@0 55x70@0 
55x60@0 55x85@0 15x85@0 15x60@1 55x60@1 30x60@1 30x40@1 75x40@1 
45x40@1 45x20@1 95x20@1
#ButtonStyle 6 17 95x20@3 95x60@3 75x60@3 75x40@3 75x70@3 55x70@3 
55x60@3 55x85@3 15x85@3 15x60@3 55x60@3 30x60@3 30x40@3 75x40@3 
45x40@3 45x20@3 95x20@3
ButtonStyle 6 17 95x20@2 95x60@2 75x60@2 75x40@2 75x70@2 55x70@2 
55x60@2 55x85@2 15x85@2 15x60@2 55x60@2 30x60@2 30x40@2 75x40@2 
45x40@2 45x20@2 95x20@2

On 2.4.6, I had the second line of each definition active.  I tried 
uncommenting the first line of each definition and that produced 
low-contrast drawings with shandows, just as it did in 2.4.6.

Douglas

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:19:52 +0200

> ButtonStyles from ...@3 to ...@2, the button symbols came back, as 

Yes, fixed in the current cvs.
Thanks, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:32:53 +0200

---

From: "No Spam, Please" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:13:15 -0400

On Friday 08 August 2003 13:19, you wrote:
> > Upgrade from FVWM 2.4.6 to 2.5.7 seemed to go OK, but the symbols
> > on the buttons on the right side of the title bar vanished. 
> > Looks like the meaning of "...@3" and "...@2" in a vector
> > ButtonStyle may have been swapped between 2.4.6 and 2.5.7,
> > because when I changed my ButtonStyles from ...@3 to ...@2, the
> > button symbols came back, as they had been.
>

Thank you, Olivier.  I'll make a note to switch my definitions back, 
next time I install an upgrade.

By the way, I have a log entry claiming that I sent a post to this 
group requesting help with FvwmTabs saying that X11::Protocol wasn't 
installed, even though I'd installed it as per the FvwmTabs site's 
instructions.  I cannot actually find such a post.  On the other 
hand, if anyone saw such a post, please don't worry about it anymore.  
I have found the problem.  It seems that "make install" set the 
permission bits of all of the subdirectories that it created to 750, 
so it was invisible to me.

Thanks-
Douglas