Subject: FVWM: Emacs-like key sequences

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:28:19 +0200

Hallo list!

Will emacs-like key sequences find their way in fvwm somewhen? I would
really  like to see such bindings like Mod4 m s for maximize to screen
and Mod4 m v for maxmize vertically...

Mario

-- 
One Editor to rule them all.  One Editor to find them,
One Editor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

(do ((a 1 b) (b 1 (+ a b))) (nil a) (print a))
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:22:08 +0200

> (do ((a 1 b) (b 1 (+ a b))) (nil a) (print a))

Asshole! ;)

Felix

-- 
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de
Note that on Saturday, August 30th 2003, I won't be able to access
emails sent to the above address. So, on this day and on Friday evening,
use this address instead:
    felix DOT klee AT gmx DOT net

My phone-# for urgent cases: +49 7531 458323

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:14:09 -0700

> and Mod4 m v for maxmize vertically...

   you can specify any keybindings you want... all of them are specified 
in config files.

	erik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:13:19 -0400

Erik Steffl <[email-masked]> writes:
> Mario Domg=F6rgen wrote:
>    you can specify any keybindings you want... all of them are =
> specified
> in config files.

He's asking for key sequences, not just a single key with a modifier.

I don't think it can be done reliably.

You could use "Mod4 m" to start a module that did a keyboard grab
for the next key, but I don't think the module would start quickly
enough.

You could do it with a menu, and a menu hotkey, which would be
fast enough, but would cause something visible to appear.

I guess you could make the menu fully transparent, but thats not
really what the OP was asking for.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:13:08 -0400 (EDT)

How about setting an environment variable which is toggled on or off with
the escape key and then bind a function to other keys which checks to see
if the environment variable is set?  If it is, then do something like
maximize vertically and clear the env. var.?

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:33:32 -0400

> maximize vertically and clear the env. var.?

If you want, post an example, but I think the OP was looking for:

Key m<4>,v w Maxmize 0 1

which, of course, doesn't exist.

Being a multi-key sequence, it would cause the same kinds
of problems that multi-click sequences cause.  Ie. you have to
wait a while before you can figure out if its a sequence you need
to trap, or if it gets passed to the application.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:28:45 -0700

> He's asking for key sequences, not just a single key with a modifier.

   oops, didn't notice. but IIRC there's a way in X windows to specify 
multi-key events - that might make it impossible to use those keys as 
separate keys though (so emacs might not work)

	erik

---

From: Mario Domgörgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:31:31 +0200

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > > > Will emacs-like key sequences find their way in fvwm somewhen?
>> > > > I would really like to see such bindings like Mod4 m s for
>> > > > maximize to screen and Mod4 m v for maxmize vertically...
>> > > 
>> > > specified in config files.
>> > 

That would double the possible keysequences but not bring seom order to them...

> which, of course, doesn't exist.

That's exactly what i want. If you rely just on your keyboard for
managing windows and start applications with shortcuts your keyboard
gots really fast to small. And between, keysequences are easier to
remember as they set a special orders to functions - that could be
because my mind is a little bit emacs-twisted... :)

> to trap, or if it gets passed to the application.

I use Caps_Lock as modifier for fvwm and these keybindings are never
usefull to applications - that mean i never found a app using
Caps_Lock. I could also live with disable all one-lick bindings if that
would be easier?!

Mario

-- 
Error messages
cannot completely convey.
We now know shared loss.