Subject: FVWM: Two fvwm-2.4.16 window placement questions

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:34:06 -0400

Running with fvwm-2.4.16 on Linux, gtk-gnutella-0.92 consistently starts
up with its titlebar 3/4 of the way off the top edge of the screen.
I've tried Style NoPPosition without any effect.  Clearly some kind of
hinting on gtk-gnutella's part is incorrect; any ideas what I can do to
tell fvwm2 to Do The Right Thing here?

Also, I use Style "*" RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement, ...  in my fvwm2
configuration.  95% of the time, this does what I intend.  However,
fvwm2 refuses to place a window over an icon unless specifically
directed to do so by -geometry.  This frequently results in it placing a
new window over an open window instead, because there isn't room to
place the window NOT covering an existing window without covering icons
instead, and given the choice, it seems to perversely prefer covering
windows to covering icons.  How can I tell fvwm2 that it's OK to place
windows over icons, but not over regular windows?

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 06:59:09 +0200

> tell fvwm2 to Do The Right Thing here?

Style "name_which_match_your_gnutella" NoPPosition, NoUSPosition

With 2.5.7 you may try to add FixedPPosition. 

> windows over icons, but not over regular windows?

I suggest you upgrade to 2.5.7 and use the following styles:

MinOverlapPlacement or MinOverlapPercentPlacement

then you can use the

MinOverlapPlacementPenalties or  MinOverlapPercentPlacementPenalties 

styles to control various convering factor (e.g., ignore icons).

Regards, Olivier