Subject: Re: FVWM: Strange menu behaviour

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:21:37 +0200

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:04:40PM +0200, stu wrote:
> Hi everyone
> 
> I'm using fvwm 2.5.7. When I popup a menu using my mouse eg
> 
> Mouse 3   R  A  Menu Debian
> 
> the mouse pointer is positioned on the title of the menu.
> However, when I popup a menu using a shortcut key eg
> 
> Key   Escape    A     C     Menu Debian
> 
> the mouse pointer is positioned on the first item *under* the menu
> title. When I use the 'Popup' command the result is the same. If I use a
> different shortcut key the result is the same.
> 
> Does anyone know if this is normal for fvwm, and if so, how I might
> achieve having my mouse pointer positioned on the menu title, rather
> than on the first item under the title, when I pop the menu up from a
> shortcut key? 
> 

I think that the behavior you describe is intentional. There are
surely good reasons for that (e.g., keyboard menu navigation is for
expert which want fast navigation?).

> I have tried creating a function that moves my mouse pointer after the
> menu has been popped up :
> 
> AddToFunc PopupRootMenu         I Menu Debian
> +                               I CursorMove 0p -10p
> 
> but this only moves my mouse pointer after the menu has terminated.
> 

I do not think that there is a workaround ... maybe in the future
a config option.

Regards, Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:43:06 +0200

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:21:37 +0200
Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > title. When I use the 'Popup' command the result is the same. If I
> > use a different shortcut key the result is the same.
> 

Hi Olivier, I find it difficult to agree with you. Here we have one
command - menu - called with the same options, executed in two
different ways, producing two distinctly different results. This isn't
always grounds for crying 'bug', but in this case 'menu' (or 'popup')
should (IMHO) produce the same result, in the way I have used it above.
I can't see any logical or practical reason why the results should
differ. . . 

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

UNIVERSAL COMPUTER SERVICES (PTY) LTD
Tel : (011) 712 1371   Cell : 082 902 5632
Fax : (011) 339 3421
Internet : http://ucs.co.za
Email    : [email-masked]

To err is human,
To purr feline.
                -- Robert Byrne

Powered by Debian GNU/Linux - testing/unstable

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:04:02 +0200

> I can't see any logical or practical reason why the results should

With the keyboard, I want to select the first menu entry with as
few keystrokes as possible, i.e. <open menu>, <enter>.  If the
pointer were over the title, I'd have to press <down> to get the
pointer over the first item.

It would make very little sense to have the pointer over the first
item if the menu was opened with the mouse because menus often
have a double click action defined.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: stu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:23:47 +0200

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:04:02 +0200
Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > > the mouse pointer is positioned on the first item *under* the
> > > > menu title. When I use the 'Popup' command the result is the
> > > > same. If I use a different shortcut key the result is the same.
> > > 
> > > surely good reasons for that (e.g., keyboard menu navigation is
> > > for expert which want fast navigation?).
> > 
> > different ways, producing two distinctly different results. This
> > isn't always grounds for crying 'bug', but in this case 'menu' (or
> > 'popup') should (IMHO) produce the same result, in the way I have
> > used it above.
> 

Aha, this is beginning to make sense. However, where does this leave me,
who routinely uses a shortcut to bring up a menu, and then uses the
mouse to select the menu option? I can't use the mouse all the time to
bring my menu, as it is bound to copy and paste in most of my windows.

Why this is such an issue for me is that my first menu item is a
sub-menu. When I use my shortcut to bring up the menu, the mouse-pointer
is positioned on the first menu item and my sub-menu then opens, which
is very annoying. I could put the sub-menu somewhere else, but this
would not be satisfying at all.

-- 
Stuart Logie
Programmer

To err is human,
To purr feline.
                -- Robert Byrne

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:40:29 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote stu thusly...
>
> ... my first menu item is a sub-menu. When I use my shortcut to
> bring up the menu, the mouse-pointer is positioned on the first
> menu item and my sub-menu then opens, which is very annoying.

Did you investigate the PopupDelay, and other assorted options, then?
>From fvwm(1)...

  PopupDelay requires one numeric argument.   This  value  is  the
  delay  in milliseconds  before a sub-menu is popped up when the
  pointer moves over a menu item that  has  a  sub-menu.   If  the
  value  is  zero no automatic pop up is done.  If the argument is
  omitted the built-in default is used. Note that the popup  delay has
  no effect if the PopupImmediately option is used since sub-menus pop
  up immediately then.

...usage is something like..

  MenuStyle  *  PopupDelay 250

  - Parv

-- 
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
seeks employment:  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/