Subject: RE: FVWM: Oddities in 2.4.16

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:52:30 -0600

> > 1)  Error messages of the form:
> >     [FVWM.0][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
> >     [FVWM.0][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 7, Error 
> 8, EventType: 20
 
> You can look up these X error codes in fvwm/doc/error_codes.

Okay, thanks.

> > 2)  Failure to execute the StartFunction and InitFunction on
> > *one* of the displays.  Fvwm2 and FvwmTheme are running, my Key
> > and Mouse bindings are all fine, but none of the Modules started
> > in StartFunction are running, nor is the process I "Exec" in
> > InitFunction.  Happens on about one-in-ten logins.
> > Ctrl-Alt-Escape doesn't help; restarting is required.  (On the
> > opposite display, everything is fine.)  Any help is appreciated.

Experimenting has given more info on this second problem:

a)  The problem is much more likely to occur when the CPU and disk are
under load.  Under heavy load, it happens *every* login.
b)  When the problem occurs, it's always on the fvwm instance that is
started first (I start each instance separately with -s and -d).
c)  No one Module is the culprit.
d)  Running fvwm with -debug doesn't help, and doesn't reveal any
errors.
e)  When the problem occurs, I always get at least one beep (but no
error).
f)  The problem *never* occurs if I delay the start of the second
instance (either with a short sleep, or wait until one of the first
instance's Modules [in StartFunction] has a PID).  This suggests the
possibility that there is a concurrence problem, like both instances
trying to read/write the same /tmp file, etc.

Does this new info help?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].