Subject: Re: FVWM: FvwmTaskbar changes button order on page change

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:22:51 +0200

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:27:34PM +0200, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> when I start fvwm (the current CVS version) and open FvwmTaskbar, 3 
> rxvts  and mozilla with 1 browser and 1 mail window the order of the 
> windows in the FvwmTaskbar is:
> 
>  rxvt, rxvt, rxvt, mozbrowser, mozmailer
> 
> when I leave this desktoppage and return back (by EdgeSwitching by 
> mouse) the order of the windows changes to
> 
>  mozmailer, mozbrowser, rxvt, rxvt, rxvt
> 
> When I repeat the page change the order keeps the same in most cases, 
> but not always. It seems to be a little random like? Maybe it has to do 
> with the order of the last focused windows?
> 
> Is this ok, or is it a bug?
> 

Yes and no. It seems to me that it is difficult to implement something
like PageOnly with the fvwm to module communication that we have now.
One problem is that a page can be any where on the desktop so
redrawing should be done window by window (technically, at each
CONFIGURE_WINDOW packet). The result is a semi-random order (maybe
fixable) and a lot of redrawing.

I suggest to do not use the PageOnly option. What about DeskOnly
and a relayout of your Pages/Desks ...

Maybe we should warn the users in the man page.  Dominik any comments?
I think it is you that has introduced PageOnly?

> Oh, btw: In the current version of fvwm FvwmTaskbar is very very slow. 
> When switching to another (empty) page it takes about 2 seconds until 
> all listed windows are hidden in the FvwmTaskbar. When I return to the 
> page with some windows on, I can watch each single window 
> (represantation) pop up in the Fvwm. I think, this is not normal.
>

Apriori it is not. Can you send your config. I see a lot of redrawing
in some case with PageOnly (for the reason I just explained) but when
switching between page with a lot of windows (and this does not take 2
secs). But, maybe you have a very slow machine and/or X?

Regards, Olivier 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].