Subject: FVWM: question...

From: Tabetha Boyajian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:46:16 -0700 (PDT)

i am a beginner trying to use fvwm.  when i start it
up, a background flashes (a pic  of a galaxy) then it
changes to a splattered gray background.  how does one
go about changing this gray background to something
they like better, or the previous one that dissappears
in a flash?

thanks for your time,

taby
[email-masked]

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
http://sbc.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:30:12 -0700

> they like better, or the previous one that dissappears

   I like chbg, unrelated to fvwm, you don't have to have your WM to 
change the root window picture. There are other programs as well (check 
your distro or freshmeat), you can start any of them from X startup 
scripts (probably ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession)

   there's also FvwmBacker module that makes it possible to have 
different backgrounds on different virtual screens

	erik

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:43:10 -0400

> they like better, or the previous one that dissappears

Look in your .xinitrc, .xsession, etc as well as .fvwm2rc.  Also look in
the system Xsession, xinitrc, etc.  You may have to hunt some to find
them, and not knowing what you're running, I don't know where to tell
you to look (though the system files are most likely in either /etc/X11 
or /usr X11R6/lib).

>From what you're describing, something in the X11 startup chain is
loading a galaxy image as a background image, and then moments later,
something *else* is setting the default X/11 dithered 50% gray
background.  (Yes, it's unspeakably hideous, but it's the default
because it works even on a 1-bit display.)  Find where the image and the
dithered background are being set, disable the dithered gray, and you
should be set.  Better still, create your own .xsession file (assuming
you don't already have one, and assuming you're using a display manager
that honors it) and set up whatever you want in there.

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].