Subject: FVWM: FvwmBacker vs. FvwmEvent

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:50:46 -0600

FvwmBacker seems to be the module of choice for setting different
backgrounds per desk.  It appears that one could also use FvwmEvent with
new_desk.  What is the tradeoff?  Is one approach more efficient than the
other?

Gregg Dameron

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:16:08 +0000

> new_desk.  What is the tradeoff?  Is one approach more efficient than the

FvwmBacker is specialized to change the root window dynamically.
It supports setting solid color or colorset or call external command.
It supports an easy syntax to specify different backgrounds for different
pages/desks.

On the other hand FvwmEvent is designed to fire all existing events when
requested, not just new_desk and not just change background on new_desk.
It does not include any special support except for optional sound support
using rplay.

The only way you may emulate FvwmBacker using FvwmEvent is when you use
external command to change your background regardless of the current
page/desk or pass this info to external script for processing. In this
case there is no much difference, but FvwmBacker is a bit preferable.

Regards,
Mikhael.