Subject: FVWM: Where's DeskTopSize?

From: Andrew Haninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:00:00 +0000

I've recently been writing up a new .fvwm2rc for a new machine and when
I got FvwmPager loaded, I came across a problem I've had in the past
where I didn't want my desktop to be 3x3. I knew there was a way to set
the size of the desktop, so I looked in the FvwmPager man page to no
avail. I also searched the fvwm2 man page; also to no avail.

So, I checked one of the sample .fvwm2rc's and found what I was looking
for: "DeskTopSize XxY". However, I still cannot find this in the
provided documentation. Shouldn't this option at least be in the fvwm2
man page? (Unwieldly as it is already.)

I personally think that if it is included in that man page, it should
also be referenced in the FvwmPager man page, since that's what alerted
me to wanting to change the desktop size.

Thanks!

-Andy
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:37:51 +0300

> man page? (Unwieldly as it is already.)

I can find description of DeskTopSize in all man pages, at least starting
with 2.2. Do you search it correctly? What man page version do you read?

> me to wanting to change the desktop size.

Ok, probably it should be mentioned in the synopsys.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andrew Haninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:08:43 +0000

> with 2.2. Do you search it correctly? What man page version do you read?

I have checked man pages installed with versions 2.4.15 and 2.4.16 like
so:

$ man fvwm2 | grep "DeskTopSize"
$ 

I suppose I could be searching the man pages incorrectly, though.

*Andy goes off to Google to see how to do this...*
*Andy returns...*

Ahh..

$ man fvwm2

then press / and type the term. Just /slightly/ simpler than my method
;-)

Thanks.

-Andy

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:51:20 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Andrew Haninger thusly...
> I suppose I could be searching the man pages incorrectly, though.

Not entierly incorrect as you would miss the stylized text.  Try...

  man fvwm2 | col -b | grep 'DeskTopSize'

...in this case, i prefer to see some context...

  man fvwm2 | col -b | fgrep -4 'DeskTopSize' | less

  - Parv

-- 
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
seeks employment:  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/