Subject: FVWM: re: locating XFT during config

From: Mike McNally <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:28:42 -0500

I couldn't remember what the deal was this morning, but I just
did now.  Somebody had a problem wherein FVWM wasn't finding 
xft during configuration.  One thing to check is to see whether
there's an "xft.pc" in /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig, and then make
sure that PKG_CONFIG_PATH includes that directory when you 
run FVWM's configure script. In other words,

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
./configure --whatever

If there's no xft.pc, it should look something like this:

prefix=/usr/X11R6
exec_prefix=/usr/X11R6/bin
libdir=/usr/X11R6/lib
includedir=/usr/X11R6/include
freetypelibs=-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype
freetypecflags=-I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2
xrenderlibs=-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXrender
xrendercflags=-I/usr/X11R6/include

Name: Xft
Description: X FreeType library
Version: 2.1.0
Requires: fontconfig
Libs: -L${libdir} -lXft ${freetypelibs} ${xrenderlibs}
Cflags: -I${includedir} ${freetypecflags} ${xrendercflags}

That may or may not work; it was necessary when I was getting Mozilla
to build.

--
[ you are my main foo ] Mike McNally -- [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:40:05 +0200

Mike McNally:

> xft during configuration.  

It was me, thanks.

> One thing to check is to see whether

Unfortunatelly, I don't even have pkconfig installed. Someone from the
gentoo distro forum told me that xft is included in the last xfree86
package so I should evoid having xft installed additionally. But even
without it ./configure (the snapshot from 2003-07-23) doesn't find xft.
I'll try to reinstall the latest xfree86.

btw: Someone else told me that it should work with the latest cvs
version. As I am not familliar with cvs: Is there a significant
difference between "the latest snapshots" and "cvs"?

'Bye
 Felix

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:15:57 +0300

> difference between "the latest snapshots" and "cvs"?

Depends when a bug is fixed in cvs. When you see "try one of the latest
snapshots" this means that a problem was attended at least several days
ago. If it is attempted to be fixed about the time the message is sent,
you may see "try the next snapshot".

Regarding your problem, you need either xft-config or pkg-config
reporting about xft (try "pkg-config --modversion xft"), and either
fontconfig-config or pkg-config reporting about fontconfig.

There was a bug in cvs regarding the pkg-config method that is just
fixed, so try either the latest cvs or the next snapshot.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:11:27 +0200

> fontconfig-config or pkg-config reporting about fontconfig.

Thank you,
that was the missing hint... :-)
xft-config was present only with the user, not with root. So I executed
./configure as user and now I have beautiful xft fonts in my fvwm! Thank
You!

Last question about xft: The clock in the task bar is not affected by
the font changes. Is that by default?

This is my current font setting in fvwm2rc:

Style * Font "xft:Luxi
Sans:Medium:Bold:size=10;-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

MenuStyle * font "xft:Luxi
Sans:Medium:Bold:size=10;-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

MenuStyle winops font "xft:Luxi
Sans:Medium:Bold:size=10;-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

*FvwmTaskBar: Font "xft:Luxi
Sans:Medium:Bold:size=10;-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

*FvwmTaskBar: SelFont "xft:Luxi
Sans:Medium:Bold:size=10;-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].