Subject: FVWM: Mandrake 9.1 Meta_L weirdness

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:09:10 -0500

fvwm-2.5.7
Mandrake 9.1
XFree86-4.3

After upgrading to Mandrake 9.1, I've noticed that when I hit
<LeftAlt>+<Tab> the window list goes away as soon as I release <Tab>,
but if I hit <RightAlt>+<Tab> the window list stays up 'til I hit <Esc>
or select a window.  I've tried changing some seemingly relevant
settings in various files under /etc/X11 but nothing has had any effect.
Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks much.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:14:34 +0100 (BST)

> Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks much.

I haven't experienced this, but there are two things I can think of:

The first is that the right alt button, might be a modifier under fvwm.

The other thing to do is to use xmodmap to reflect the same behaviour as
the left alt key (xkeycaps comes in handy here).

HTH,

Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:21:32 -0500

> The first is that the right alt button, might be a modifier under fvwm.

Well, if I understand things correctly both left and right alt buttons
are supposed to be Meta keys and therefore modifiers.  The fact that
both <LeftAlt>+<Tab> and <RightAlt>+<Tab> bring up the window list
confirm this, no?

> the left alt key (xkeycaps comes in handy here).

Don't have xkeycaps.  Can I use xev to examine each's behavior?

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:36:20 +0300

> XFree86-4.3

It is unrelated to Mandrake or X, so the subject line is misleading.

> Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks much.

This is normal for most of keyboards, it is because Meta_L is configured
to be the default key to activate items when released, but Meta_R is not.

Reconfigure your Alt-Tab binding like this:

  Key Tab A M WindowList Root c c NoDeskSort, SelectOnRelease %

Regards,
Mikhael.