Subject: FVWM: transparent Xterms and menus

From: Chris Staskewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:56:49 -0600 (MDT)

Exuse me if I'm posting questions that have been asked before, but I'm
running 2.5.7 FVWM with the themes, and I'd really like to get transparent
Xterms and menus (that is, I'd like the text to appear as if it were on
the root window where my background picture is displayed).

I understand the layout for Themes, as I've begun to piece together my own
from the ones available.  I tracked down an asortment of info regarding
Colorsets, ParentalRelativity, fvwm-root -d, and so on, but I just can't
put the pieces together.

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------
 Chris Staskewicz
 http://www.math.utah.edu/~cjs
 --------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:55:10 +0300

> Colorsets, ParentalRelativity, fvwm-root -d, and so on, but I just can't

1) Run "aterm -tr" or other terminals like gnome-terminal and Eterm that
support transparency (see their man pages), and set the root using
fvwm-root -r (or fvwm-themes-root in pre-0.7.0).

The Themes FAQ may help to make such transparent terminal to be your
default terminal.

2) Several days ago I answered how to make transparent menus in 2.5.x.
Here are the lines again (try in FvwmConsole first):

  Colorset 5 RootTransparent buffer, Tint rgb:00/30/30 20, bg average, bgTint rgb:00/30/30 20
  MenuStyle * MenuColorset 5  # this line is redundand for fvwm-themes

If you have problems with creating your own theme, ask on the fvwm-themes
lists.

Regards,
Mikhael.