Subject: FVWM: Placement problem with Galeon

From: Andre Majorel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:45:01 +0200

Hello all. I'm starting galeon in /etc/X11/Xsession.d and am
having a little problem : the galeon window is aligned with the
right and bottom edges of the screen, not top left.

Here's the Xsession command :

  galeon -d -g 864x820+0+0

The relevant bits of the ~/.fvwm/post.hook :

  Style "*" SloppyFocus
  Style "*" TileCascadePlacement
  Style "xosview@*" Sticky
  # You can't control on which page Galeon starts with the
  # --geometry option so we have to do it here.
  Style "*galeon*" SkipMapping,		\
		   NoPPosition,		\
		   NoUSPosition,	\
		   StartsOnPage 1 1

I tried galeon -g 864x820, 864x820+0+0, 864x820+1152+864, Style
with or without NoPPosition/NoUSPosition, but no joy. Anyone
understands what's happening ?

FVWM 2.4.15.

-- 
André Majorel <[email-masked]>
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:20:49 +0200

> understands what's happening ?

You can not specify a position and StartsOnPage + SkipMapping at
the same time.  I will make a patch for the next releases (2.4.17
and 2.5.8).  Note that "NoPPosition, NoUSPosition" negates the
effect of specifying a geometry for the window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andre Majorel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 01:04:28 +0200

> effect of specifying a geometry for the window.

Thanks. Since I'm not entirely sure I'm being clear, I'd like to
expound my story a bit :

- NoPPosition was only added as an attempt to get the Galeon
  window to align as expected (i.e. close to the top left corner),

- NoUSPosition and +0+0 were only added because NoPPosition had no
  effect (or at least not the expected effect).

Basically I'm trying to get Galeon to open a 864x820 window in the
top left corner of page (1,1). Sounds simple, but the Galeon +
FVWM combination is not being cooperative.

Since I've got home from work, things have got even weirder : FVWM
now does active placement on Galeon ! A possible reason is that
~/.galeon is shared between the two machines. Galeon has this
thing about restoring the last window size and position it had.
But the two machines have different display sizes (1600x1200 vs.
1152x864)...

Tried to trace Galeon but ltrace is useless. galeon-bin forks,
child dies, galeon-bin forks again, child dies, galeon-bin forks a
third time, child just sits there in T state. It's not just slow,
it's hung. ltrace and parent are sleeping. No CPU is consumed by
anyone.

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:32:54 +0200

Hello Andre, 

Am 15:45 2003-07-07 +0200 hat Andre Majorel geschrieben:

Hmmm, it is right, that galeon is the GNOME version of mozilla ?

>Here's the Xsession command :

this does not work !!!
Read the manpages and you know, that you must use 

mozilla -width 864 -height 820

galeon maybe equivalent...

have a nice week
Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |
| FunkLAN-Providerin                                                       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+