Subject: FVWM: full titles on icons

From: Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:52:23 +0100

hi

what is the correct config option to ensure that the full title of a 
window is displayable when that window is iconified?

i have a netscape window which has a title "FVWM - Mailing List" and i 
would like the icon title to be the same -- currently it just says 
'netscape'

thanks!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:05:28 +0000

> would like the icon title to be the same -- currently it just says 

I can't reproduce this with netscape (but maybe because I have 3.04).

If you mean real iconified windows, the icon title is not configurable
currently, it just displays what the application set for the icon title.

If you mean a module like FvwmTaskBar or FvwmIconMan, there are
configuration options to do this, see their man pages.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:40:53 +0100 (BST)

hi Mikhael,

thanks for the reply.  in my question i do mean real
iconfied windows but in my example i was using
netscape 7 but heres a simply way to get the same
effect.

can you try using an xterm/rxvt and at the shell

     echo -en "\033]0;foo bar\007"

this should set both the title string and the icon
string in the xterm.

when the xterm/rxvt is iconified, i would like the
icon title to say "foo bar".  do you know of the
style/cfg option to ensure this is the case?

thanks
ray

 --- Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> wrote: > On
> configuration options to do this, see their man

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:19:54 -0400

> style/cfg option to ensure this is the case?

If you want to change the iconname use:

      \033]2;foo bar\007

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:04:55 -0400

> If you want to change the iconname use:

I'm using 2.4.16 and I find I don't have to do anything special to have
the full window title mirrored in the icon title.  It Just Works,
whether it's a Mozilla window, an xterm (export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne
"\033]0;${HOSTNAME}:${USER}:${PWD}\007"'), an xcoral instance, XMMS, or
whatever.

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].