Subject: FVWM: More oddities with fvwm-2.4.16

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:53:41 -0400

A few days ago I reported a problem in which procmeter3 doesn't get any
data from any of its inputs if it's started from fvwm-2.4.16.  I've now
discovered another oddity: If I log in from xdm and start a session
running fvwm-1.24r, functions in both my IRC client (sirc) and my ICB
client (icbm) are able to successfully launch child processes such as
xterms, xcoral (a graphical programmers' editor for X/11), play (a
shell script to play .wav files), etc.

If, leaving those clients open, I start fvwm-2.4.16, I can still launch
xcoral from within them. If, after starting fvwm-2.4.16, I start a new
xterm and launch new instances of the client from it, or if I started an
fvwm2 session in the first place, I cannot launch xcoral from within
sirc or icbm.

The odd thing is that when running under fvwm-2.4.16, I cannot start a
Mozilla client from within icbm or sirc, but I can call a script which
contacts Mozilla and tells it to create a new window.  If I can execute
the Perl process to run the script, why can't I run an xterm, mozilla,
or the play script?

The only thing I could think of was that fvwm-2.4.16 is doing something
cryptic to the environment, but this doesn't appear to be the case.  The
following is a diff of my environment within an Xterm between fvwm-1.24r
and fvwm-2.4.16 sessions:

babylon5:alaric:~:3 $ diff -U3 ENV*
--- ENV.fvwm-1.24r      Thu Jun 19 16:37:43 2003
+++ ENV.fvwm-2.4.16     Thu Jun 19 16:38:24 2003
@@ -10,10 +10,11 @@
 ORGANIZATION=Babylon Communications
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 TERM=xterm-color
+FVWM_USERDIR=/home/alaric/.fvwm
 HOSTDISPLAY=babylon5:0.0
 HTML_TIDY=/home/alaric/.tidy
 TRNINIT=-F'] ' -N -x -X -I -G
-WINDOWID=12582926
+WINDOWID=20971534
 SIRCSERVER=Amsterdam.NL.EU.undernet.org
 QTDIR=/opt/qt
 SOUNDTYPE=1
@@ -45,7 +46,7 @@
 PS2= -> 
 IRCNICK=Alaric
 HOME=/home/alaric
-SHLVL=1
+SHLVL=2
 TAPE=/dev/st0
 LOGNAME=alaric
 LESS=-ceimnr
@@ -56,6 +57,7 @@
 LESSOPEN=|lesspipe.sh %s
 PROMPT_COMMAND=echo -ne "\033]0;${HOSTNAME}:${USER}:${PWD}\007"
 ARCH=i686
+FVWM_MODULEDIR=/usr/X11R6/libexec/fvwm/2.4.16
 RTFLIBDIR=/usr/local/lib/rtf
 DISPLAY=:0.0
 MM_RUNASROOT=1

Can anyone come up with an explanation or even a *speculation* for THIS
behavior?  It's extremely annoying and inconvenient, and I'm utterly
baffled as to why it's happening.

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].