Subject: FVWM: Fvwm-themes and gnome-session

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:48:41 +0100 (BST)

Dear List,

** I'm cross-posting this with fvwm-themes as I'm not sure whether this is
a
fvwm or a fvwm-themes issue (I don't make a habit of this kind of thing!)
**

I have been experimenting with using session managers. Having read the
fvwm-themes FAQ, I am now using "gnome-session" (this is purely because
FVWM
claims to be gnome-like). I followed the instructions
about selecting the "generic" session manager from the menu, and also I
have
changed my "~/.xsession" file appropriately -- that all works fine.

My problem is that upon using fvwm, I am now no longer able to switch
themes
or update existing ones via the "Theme Management" menu. Fvwm just hangs.
I read up in the FAQ and suggested that I try this:

env FT_USE_RESTART=1 fvwm-themes-start

so I tried that, and that had no effect (in Bash version 2.05b).

Also, another slight annoyance I am experiencing (I cannot work out if it
is
fvwm or gnome-session, or perhaps the way the two interact) is
gnome-session
hangs for a long time after I log in via xdm. It takes about three minutes
for
fvwm to load and I cannot understand why. I ran a "strace" on
gnome-session
and nothing was wrong there. I had a look at gnome-session's
"--purge-delay"
and "--warn-delay" options, and they had no effect. 

Also (and I think that I might be getting slightly too abstract...sorry),
I
don't know how many of you actually use gnome-session, but in running the
program "session-properties-capplet" allows you to specify a list of
having
gnome run "non session managed" programs. I have tried to add three, but
each
time only one program appears in the list, and consequently gets launched.
Any
ideas why this should be?

Any ideas about any of this? I used to use "FvwmSaveDesk", but that just
lacks
certain features....

Thanks in Advance,

Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].