Subject: FVWM: Windowmaker dock emulation?

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:49:00 -0400

My wife uses Windowmaker, but is frustrated at its lack of a decent
pager and is considering switching back to FVWM (which does so many more
things right).  Does anyone know if it's possible to make Windowmaker
dock-apps work in fvwm and/or make FvwmButtons work like the Windowmaker
dock?

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:16:02 +0200

> dock-apps work in fvwm and/or make FvwmButtons work like the Windowmaker

There are no pbs, just swallow docks-apps in a FvwmButtons:

...
*FvwmButtons-WMakerApplets: (Frame 1, Size 64 64, \
	Swallow "wmCalClock" 'Exec exec wmCalClock -24')
*FvwmButtons-WMakerApplets: (Frame 1, Size 64 64, \
	Swallow "wmmon" 'Exec exec wmmon')
*FvwmButtons-WMakerApplets: (Frame 1, Size 64 64, \
	Swallow "wmjmail" 'Exec exec wmjmail')
...

Regards, Olivier

PS: the official address of the fvwm (users) mailing list is
[email-masked]

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:46:57 -0400

> 	Swallow "wmjmail" 'Exec exec wmjmail')

Aha.  That looks like it'll do the trick.  The one thing I'm guessing it
won't let her do is codelessly add new buttons on the fly ...  right?

> PS: the official address of the fvwm (users) mailing list is

Noted.  Thanks.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:04:34 +0000

> won't let her do is codelessly add new buttons on the fly ...  right?

How often should she change the setup? If once per month or year,
adding/removing some lines is not hard. If she does this often, you may
add a layer over FvwmButtons that creates these configuration lines.

I may think about several solutions. Say, using fvwm functions only plus
some shell commands. Or maybe creating a new module in perl similarly to
FvwmTabs that similarly catches a window and swallows it, just tiling all
windows instead of showing one at time.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:23:23 -0400

> add a layer over FvwmButtons that creates these configuration lines.

Not often, I should think.  And learning to write her own config files
will do her good anyway.  ;)