Subject: FVWM: pointer color

From: David Albers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:12:13 -0600 (MDT)

hi, i have a fairly bone headed question.  i am running xdarwin on my
apple laptop, solaris on a work station, and linux on my box at home.  i
use fvwm on all of them, but on the lap top my mouse appears black.  this
is no good as most of the backgrounds for my shells, emacs, etc, are
black.  i can't figure out how to change the color of my mouse/pointer in
my .fvwm file.  please help,
dave

David Albers
Department of Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
1150 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706
Email: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.santafe.edu/~albers
Telephone: (608)-265-8283    Cell: (608)-469-3047

	``I don't give a dam for a man
           who can only spell a word
           one way''  -Mark Twain

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:37:57 -0400

in message <Pine.GSO.4.44.0306120009140.1167-100000@gila>,
wrote David Albers thusly...
>
> ... on the lap top my mouse appears black.  this is no good as
> most of the backgrounds for my shells, emacs, etc, are black.
> i can't figure out how to change the color of my mouse/pointer in
> my .fvwm file.

See "CursorStyle" in fvwm(1).

BTW, if you use a shell in genuine xterm(1), then you can change
cursor colors/shape in Xresources...

  XTerm.VT100*foreground:  rgb:af/af/a0
  XTerm.VT100*background:  rgb:12/00/20
  XTerm.VT100*cursorColor:  darkorange1
  XTerm.VT100*pointerColor:  rgb:00/00/00
  XTerm.VT100*pointerColorBackground:  rgb:b0/b0/00

....Below is what i have for fvwm (cursor colors are set WRT dark
background colors)...

  CursorStyle  STROKE  dot  rgb:00/00/00  rgb:f0/00/00

  CursorStyle  WAIT  watch  rgb:b0/b0/00  rgb:00/00/00

  CursorStyle  DESTROY   pirate  rgb:90/90/00  rgb:f0/f0/f0

  CursorStyle  DEFAULT  center_ptr  rgb:b0/b0/00  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  MENU     dot         rgb:f0/00/00  rgb:f0/f0/f0
  CursorStyle  ROOT     X_cursor    rgb:b0/b0/00  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  SELECT   crosshair   rgb:00/00/00  rgb:b0/b0/00
  CursorStyle  SYS      hand2       rgb:00/00/00  rgb:b0/b0/00
  CursorStyle  TITLE    dot         rgb:c0/c0/00  rgb:00/00/00

  CursorStyle  MOVE      fleur            rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  POSITION  top_left_corner  rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  RESIZE    sizing           rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00

  CursorStyle  TOP     top_side     rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  BOTTOM  bottom_side  rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  LEFT    left_side    rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  RIGHT   right_side   rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00

  CursorStyle  TOP_EDGE     top_side     rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  BOTTOM_EDGE  bottom_side  rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  LEFT_EDGE    left_side    rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  RIGHT_EDGE   right_side   rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00

  CursorStyle  TOP_LEFT      top_left_corner      rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  TOP_RIGHT     top_right_corner     rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  BOTTOM_LEFT   bottom_left_corner   rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00
  CursorStyle  BOTTOM_RIGHT  bottom_right_corner  rgb:f0/f0/f0  rgb:00/00/00

  - Parv

-- 
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
ISO employment.  Details...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/

---

From: David Albers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:08:05 -0600 (MDT)

yes, so on the apple system i'm using rxvt to speed things up.  i tried
dumping your CursorStyle stuff into my .fvwmrc file, and nothing happened
upon restarting fvwm.  what am i messing up?

David Albers

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:42:54 -0400

> dumping your CursorStyle stuff into my .fvwmrc file, and nothing happened
                                         ^^^^^^^
> upon restarting fvwm.  what am i messing up?

Did you put it in
$HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc
                 ^

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Rainer Koehler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:34:59 +0200 (MEST)

> my .fvwm file.  please help,

Sounds exactly like the problem a friend of mine had on his mac.

It was caused by a bug in the Xserver and fixed by installing a new
version.  Fvwm can't do anything about it.

Hope this helps,
Rainer

---

From: David Albers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:03:53 -0600 (MDT)

thanks, it does.
dave

David Albers