Subject: FVWM: help with disappearing icons

From: "John M. Anderies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:25:46 -0700 (MST)

I run fvwm on two nearly-identical machines.  On one, I have fvwm 2.4.9 
installed.  In my .fvwm2rc file, I have the line

Style "*"  BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4, NoIcon, DecorateTransient 

so that I don't get icons on my desktop when I iconify windows.  I also 
run FvwmIconMan as a swallowed process in FvwmButtons.  When I iconify 
windows, they still appear in FvwmIconMan, even though no icons appear on 
the desktop. 

On my other machine I have fvwm 2.4.16 installed.  Because I want my two 
machines to behave identically, I have used the same .fvwm2rc file as on 
my machine with 2.4.9, with the only difference being the module path, 
i.e. ModulePath /usr/libexec/fvwm/2.4.16 instead of ModulePath 
/usr/libexec/fvwm/2.4.9.  When I iconify windows on the machine with 
2.4.16, my iconified windows no longer show up in FvwmIconMan unless they 
are sticky.  If I delete the NoIcon from the line above, then iconified 
windows DO show up in FvwmIconMan. But they also show up on the desktop 
which I don't want!  

Has something changed in the way configuration files should be set up from 
2.4.9 to 2.4.16?  How can I fix this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

Marty

-- 
J. Marty Anderies
Department of Biology and Center for Environmental Studies
Arizona State University
PO Box 873211
Tempe, AZ 85287-3211
(480) 965-8712/6518 FAX: (480) 965-8087
E-mail: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:25:32 -0400

> Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are 2 entries in the NEWS that look like they might apply.

Changes in stable release 2.4.16 (30-May-2003) [top]

    * Fixed displaying iconified windows without an icon in FvwmIconMan.

Changes in stable release 2.4.15 (24-Jan-2003) [top]

    * The  option  ShowOnlyIcons  now  works   as   described in   the
    FvwmIconMan man  page. It was accidentally  named ShowOnlyIconic
    before.

If you want the same behavior, why don't you install the same
release?

The ModulePath command shouldn't be used unless you have modules
of your own.  Fvwm can find its own modules since the 2.1.0 release.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]