Subject: FVWM: some questions.

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:12:24 +0200

Hello all,

after ditching the last effort to use a "Destop Environment" on my
Linux box (XFCE, after trying KDE, after trying GNOME), I went back to
use fvwm. It seems to be in my way less than anything else.

Anyway, as I'm tweaking and configuring, there's some things that I
would like to achieve.

Is there a way to enforce a specific icon size? So that all the icons
align nicely. Some applictions have really big icons, and some have
really small icons (apps written for desktops that have some sort of
taskbar). I am not using an icon box, never been able to make
the icon box work anyway, and I'm not too interested in using one on
top of that. I prefer my icons "on the loose".

Icons show up at the bottom of my screen now, is there a way to make
them line up at the top?

If I raise a window, by clicking on the titlebar or window frame, it
takes fvwm some time to redraw the frame, titlebar and the application
window. Actually, it takes time for the window to actually raise.
Around a second or two on my 700+ MHz pIII with nvidia. (It's an SGI
230) Is this normal? Or am I doing something that makes it slow. I've
noticed this behaviour on other machines also.

Thank you all very much for any pointers.

Ian.

PS. my config is at http://apache.dataloss.nl/~ian/fvwm2rc
The machine runs red hat 7.2, with the stock fvwm2 rpm: fvwm2-2.2.5-4
-- 
Occam's Razor: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually the correct one. (William of Occam, 14th century)

Darwin's Blade: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually stupidity. (Darwin Minor in "Darwin's Blade" by Dan Simmons)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:50:52 +0200

> top of that. I prefer my icons "on the loose".

The IconSIze style is what you want.  You need at least 2.5.3 for
it.

> Icons show up at the bottom of my screen now, is there a way to make

Look up the IconBox style in the man page.

> noticed this behaviour on other machines also.

This is because you have bound an action to the title bar that has
to distinguish between a single click and a double click.  Fvwm
can't launch the single click action immediately because it has to
wait if the action becomes a double click.  You have

  AddToFunc Move-or-Raise	"C" Raise
  +				"M" Move
  +  				"D" Lower
  Mouse 1 T A Move-or-Raise

This waits for a moment before raising the window after a click
(150 ms by default, but set to 750 ms with the ClickTime command
in your config).  Try this instead:

  AddToFunc Move-or-Raise	"C" Raise
  +				"M" Move
  Mouse 1 T A Move-or-Raise
  Mouse 2 T A Lower

works immediately.

By the way, I believe this line does not what you wanted it to do:

  Mouse 2 TS A Move-or-Raise

I guess you wanted

  Mouse 2 FS A Move-or-Raise
         ^^^

instead.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:37:50 +0200

> The IconSIze style is what you want.  You need at least 2.5.3 for

Ah, ok... I'll wait a little till it' stable then :)

> Look up the IconBox style in the man page.

Hmm... can't seem to sort it, I put

Style "*"           IconBox 0 1024 -280 -1

in my fvwm2rc, but icons still end up lower left corner. It's not a
biggy though.

>   Mouse 1 T A Move-or-Raise

Ah, figured it would be something I had done... or rather, the Red Hat
packagers, since I'm just tweaking the system.fvwm2rc. Thank you,
works like a dream now. (Come to think of it, I might have ripped this
config off a Debian system.fvwm2rc, oh well.)

>   Mouse 2 FS A Move-or-Raise

Thanks for that hint. Hadn't really noticed it wouldn't work in the
corners yet ;)

Thank you very much.

Ian.

PS. I'm on the list, so you don't have to CC me.
-- 
Occam's Razor: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is
usually the correct one. (William of Occam, 14th century)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:45:51 +0200

> Style "*"           IconBox 0 1024 -280 -1
                                ^^^^^^^^^

I guess you confused the order of the arguments.  Should probably
be "-280 1024".

> in my fvwm2rc, but icons still end up lower left corner. It's not a

Oops.  You need to specify the IconFill style too on the same
line:

  Style * IconBox 0 -280 1024 -1, IconFill left top

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:55:18 +0200

>   Style * IconBox 0 -280 1024 -1, IconFill left top

Style "*"           IconBox 0 0 1024 -1, IconFill left top

does the trick, thank you again :)

Ian.