Subject: FVWM: fvwm and fontconfig/libxft2

From: Christian Lyra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:05:27 -0300

Hi all

	I'm trying to compile fvwm 2.5.7 but I'm getting this:

With Xft anti-alias font support?   no: Can't detect Xft 1 or fontconfig

	After ./configure. I already have libxft2-dev and libfontconfig-dev (Debian 
Sid), but configure failed to find it. If I'm not wrong the new fontconfig 
package dont have the fontconfig-config binaries, so if ./configure looks for 
this is no good...
	Is there something else that can be done?

--- 
Christian Lyra
POP-PR - RNP

http://lyra.soueu.com.br
http://wecanstopspam.org

  Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he 
exclaimed: 
    ``I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a 
machine dreaming that I am Turing!''
						The Tao Of Programing

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:18:31 +0200

> 	Is there something else that can be done?

This worked for me: Save this script as "fontconfig-config" somewhere
in your $PATH:

#!/bin/sh

pkg-config fontconfig $@

David

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:06:04 -0400

Hi folks,
I just installed FVWM-2.4.16 after using FVWM-1.2.4 since ....   oh,
about the late Neolithic.  (Well, OK, since 1993.)  I have settings that
are intended to produce the same visual results in both -- same border
width, same colors, etc.  My .fvwmrc and .fvwm2rc both say:

Style "*" BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5, Color grey80/grey20,Icon unknown1.xpm

Inactive windows do indeed look just about as close to exactly the same
as I can tell without being able to run both versions at once, but
active windows ...  well ....  the best I can describe it is that the
window border and decorations look "blurry".

(See the attached gif file.)

After comparing the two closely, it looks to me as though while fvwm1
and fvwm2 are rendering the window decorations at the same specified
width, fvwm2 is rendering the raised shading very differently.

Is there any way to configure this?  I like the way fvwm1 renders the
border.  fvwm2's rendering makes me squint trying to bring it into
focus.

-- 
 .*********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********.
 : phil stracchino : unix ronin : renaissance man : mystic zen biker geek :
 :  [email-masked] : [email-masked] : [email-masked]  :
 :   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)   :
 :    Linux Now!   ...Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.    :

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:08:46 +0200

> This worked for me: Save this script as "fontconfig-config" somewhere

Yes, this should work in most case ... but here this gives:

Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'fontconfig' found

:o)

and of course I run XFree-4.3 with fontconfig.pc at the good place
(vs XFree-4.3) but not at the standrad place.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:59:08 +0200

> package dont have the fontconfig-config binaries, so if ./configure looks for 

Yes, fontconfig-config has been removed from the recent versions of
fontconfig. This will be fixed in a few days in the current cvs.

> 	Is there something else that can be done?

Maybe, I do not know. You can ask to [email-masked] why
fontconfig-config has been removed.  Maybe to break the build of
certain software or because "pkg-config --libs fontconfig" looks
better than "fontconfig-config --libs" ... I do not know.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:38:47 -0400

> border.  fvwm2's rendering makes me squint trying to bring it into

Actually ....   answering my own question, I discovered that MWMBorder
gets me *most* of the way there.  It's still not *precisely* the same as
fvwm1 (it's too flat relative to fvwm1), but it's close enough to be
workable.

Here's the updated .gif comparing all three (oh yeah, and with eight
days to go, Unisys can bite me).  Can anyone tell me how to get closer
to the fvwm1 border rendering?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:45:16 -0400

Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> --opJtzjQTFsWo+cga
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Disposition: inline
> 

If you use colorsets, you get to pick the shadow colors yourself.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Stracchino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:59:49 -0400

> If you use colorsets, you get to pick the shadow colors yourself.

OK.  Can you (or someone) briefly explain colorsets to me, or tell me
which manpage to look in?

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:21:43 +0200

> 	Is there something else that can be done?

Fixed (I hope) in the current cvs. If you have time you can test the
next fvwm snapshot.

Thanks, Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:50:54 +0000

> border.  fvwm2's rendering makes me squint trying to bring it into

You probably already solved your problems. If no, read this thread:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0304/msg00102.html

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Christian Lyra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:17:30 -0300

Hi,

	Thanks... I will try it as soon as I got some spare time...

On Friday 13 June 2003 17:21, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > 	After ./configure. I already have libxft2-dev and libfontconfig-dev
> > (Debian Sid), but configure failed to find it. If I'm not wrong the new
> > fontconfig package dont have the fontconfig-config binaries, so if
> > ./configure looks for this is no good...

-- 
Christian Lyra
POP-PR - RNP

http://lyra.soueu.com.br
http://wecanstopspam.org

  Thus spake the master programmer: 
  ``A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its 
own hell.'' 
						The Tao Of Programing