Subject: FVWM: [OT] alpha mouse cursor problem, RedHat 9

From: "Jules Alberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:18:37 +0200

Hi everyone,

Recently I upgraded (actually reinstalled) two workstations from RedHat 
7.3 to 9. First thing to do afterwards was installing FVWM. The problem 
is that one machine runs just fine, the other one has a problem with 
the default RedHat mouse cursors. In 24b color mode the mouse is OK, 
but the display is _slow_. In 16b mode, the mouse leaves "traces". I 
think it has something to do with alpha (transparant) parts of the 
mousecursor bitmaps.

I know this probably isn't an FVWM problem, but does anybody know how I 
can solve this? (Google wasn't my friend)

Thanks!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 2003 04:41:21 -0400

> can solve this? (Google wasn't my friend)

Is this happening with the old 2-color bitmapped cursors that X has had
for ages, or the newer (more colorful) cursors that appeared in XFree
4.3 (which support full alpha channels.)

If it's the latter, the cursors may be slow on video cards that can't do
hardware alpha blending.  You can switch back to the older cursor style
by putting the following lines in your Xresources file:

Xcursor.theme: core
Xcursor.size: 16

-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Jules Alberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:33:36 +0200

> 4.3 (which support full alpha channels.)

It's the new fancy mousepointers, on a RedHat 9 box.

> hardware alpha blending.

I think you're right...

> You can switch back to the older cursor style

...so I tried this but it doesn't work (I tried /etc/X11/Xresources , 
/etc/X11/gdm/Xresources and ~/.Xdefaults). I'm not even sure if the old 
cursors are installed at all. Does anyone know how to get "core" 
cursors on a RH9 box? Thanks!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].