Subject: FVWM: fvwm for debian

From: "Fernando Poza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:27:18 +0200

Hi there!

I'm new in the list, but not in fvwm. I'm running debian in my box, and
I wanted to update to the last stable fvwm version. But the thing is
that it seems there is no debian package with fvwm.(fvwm*.deb) in
fvwm.org.

Am I right?, or I'm just not looked for correctly. Then, where can I
find it?.

Otherwise, I'm thinking in packagin it for debian.

Let's see.

Regards

Fernando

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:14:13 +0000

> Otherwise, I'm thinking in packagin it for debian.

I already said this several times in the past.

If someone creates a clean procedure "make deb-dist release=1" and
"make deb-this" that does exactly what "rpm-dist" and "rpm-this" does,
it will be included in the fvwm sources. Then everyone, for example
yourself could build deb from any tar.gz or cvs automatically in minutes.

Of course the procedure should not add any extra files to deb (or as less
as possible) not to be different much from installing from the sources.
It may also use the same configure options that the rpm procedure does.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:40:10 +0200

* Jun 03 16:18 Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>:
> > I'm new in the list, but not in fvwm. I'm running debian in my box,
> > and I wanted to update to the last stable fvwm version. But the
> > thing is that it seems there is no debian package with
> > fvwm.(fvwm*.deb) in fvwm.org.
> >
> Of course the procedure should not add any extra files to deb (or as
> less as possible) not to be different much from installing from the
> sources. It may also use the same configure options that the rpm
> procedure does.

Maybe this could be taken care of by the current maintainer of the fvwm
Debian package?

	johan@bettan:~ $ apt-cache show fvwm | grep '^Maintainer:'
	Maintainer: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle

---

From: "Fernando Poza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:25:26 +0200

What sounds weird to me, is that having available a debian package for
fvwm 2.4.6-2, which means that somebody has already made the effort, the
work has been stoped. 

So, it looks like fvwm package has become orphaned, or whatever way they
call this situation in debian.

So, before thinking seriously in packagin fvwm, I'll ask debian guys.

Thanks for your answer.

Fernando

>If someone creates a clean procedure "make deb-dist release=1" 
>and "make deb-this" that does exactly what "rpm-dist" and 
>"rpm-this" does, it will be included in the fvwm sources. Then 
>everyone, for example yourself could build deb from any tar.gz 
>or cvs automatically in minutes.
>
>Of course the procedure should not add any extra files to deb 
>(or as less as possible) not to be different much from 
>installing from the sources. It may also use the same 
>configure options that the rpm procedure does.
>
>Regards,
>Mikhael.
>--
>> and I wanted to update to the last stable fvwm version. But 
>the thing 
>> is that it seems there is no debian package with fvwm.(fvwm*.deb) in 
>> fvwm.org.
>>

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:11:01 +0000

> 	Maintainer: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>

We are speaking about the clean automatical procedure of creating deb
from any tar.gz or cvs files. Something that we build may distribute
together with tar.gz on every release, and something that any deb user
can build himself. For example every rpm user may build rpm for his
system(s) for 3 years now, like this:

  make rpm-dist mparams='CFLAGS="-O3 -g"' cparams='--disable-xinerama'

If Alexander wants to provide such automatic procedure to the developers
(without adding any hook files, that may be packed in fvwm-debhooks deb),
it is ok. But until now he did not do this, so any other Debian user who
really wants immediate access to debs with any new release may volunteer.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:47:45 +0200

> fvwm 2.4.6-2, which means that somebody has already made the effort, the

Here in testing I have 2.4.15-2

Klaus

-- 
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
	  Let's see just how ugly they think it is when they have a few
	  bulletholes in them.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:10:16 -0700

> Otherwise, I'm thinking in packagin it for debian.

   there's fvwm 2.4.15-2 in debian unstable

   you might want to contact current maintainer if you need/want 2.4.16

	erik

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:33:17 +0000

> So, before thinking seriously in packagin fvwm, I'll ask debian guys.

I didn't suggest you to package fvwm for Debian, there is a packager
already.

I only said that if any smart Debian user contributes an automatical
procedure for creating deb automatically, then the developers may solve
this problem for Debian users.

Until we find such volunteer (who wants to do it?), all Debian related
questions/requests/problems must be directed to debian.org, not fvwm.org.

P.S. Please put quotes before the answer on this list.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:15:02 +0200

>So, before thinking seriously in packagin fvwm, I'll ask debian guys.

Not right, because there are only security updates in Debian 
and not new Versions... 

So there is nothing orphaned...

Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |
| FunkLAN-Providerin                                                       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:08:50 +0200

Hello Fernando, 

>Otherwise, I'm thinking in packagin it for debian.

Corently I am a little bit blocked in Strasbourg, because my 
Workstation is gone for some days but Curently I am packuing 
up 2.5.6 which will availlable on my new website at free.fr. 

apt-get compatibel ;-))

But curently I must wait until I get the Money from my 
insurance to Buy a new Computer.

Note:   I am using fvwm2 since 1999 with Debian/SLINK and a 
        Backport for HAMM. fvwm2 is great !!!

Michelle

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:38:34 +0200

* Jun 11 18:10 Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>:

[...]

> Not right, because there are only security updates in Debian

Not quite true either. That depends on if you are using stable (woody),
testing (sarge) or unstable (sid).

---

From: "Fernando Poza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:01:01 +0200

>So there is nothing orphaned...

OK. Thanks. I'll wait impatiently for the moment you get the money for
your computer. ;^)