Subject: FVWM: internal errors/blank menus

From: Randy Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:30:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

I've just installed RH 9.0 on my system.  Window managers like Gnome work 
fine.  Wanting to get back to fvwm, I've pulled down version 2.4.16 and
compiled it, no compile errors.  Configure showed:
FVWM Configuration:

  Version:     2.4.16

  Executables: /usr/local/bin
  Man pages:   /usr/local/man
  Modules:     /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.4.16
  Data files:  /usr/local/share/fvwm

  With GNOME Window Manager hints?   yes
  With GTK support for FvwmGtk?      no: Failed to detect GTK, see config.log
  With Multibyte support?            no: Use --enable-multibyte to enable
  With ReadLine sup. in FvwmConsole? yes
  With RPlay support in FvwmEvent?   no: Can't find working librplay
  With Shaped window support?        yes
  With Session Management support?   yes
  With Stroke support?               no: Can't find working libstroke
  With Xinerama support?             yes
  With XPM support?                  yes

When I fire up fvwm, whether with all defaults or with my own .fvwm2rc, 
all windows fire up and work.  However once fvwm is up and running any menu
I bring up is blank.  The background is correctly set to whatever Background 
is set to in .fvwm2rc but there's no text.  The "hotspots" are there and 
working properly, I just can't see what I'm clicking on.

Running fvwm -debug shows immediate errors:
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][ReadFile]: <<DEBUG>> Module flag 1, about to attempt /usr/X11R6/share/fvwm2/ConfigFvwmDefaults
...

Anytime the pointer crosses a window boundary this gets logged:
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9

Whenever I try to bring up a menu I see a rash of:
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***

Also, the buttonbox comes up but dies after a second.  There is no buttonbox
bark of any kind that I can see being output via debug.  The buttonbox is
sucked in via read /home/schultz/.fvwm/ConfigFvwmButtons and so far contains
merely:
*FvwmButtonsBoxSize fixed
*FvwmButtonsBack blue
*FvwmButtons: Columns 1
*FvwmButtonsGeometry +0+200
*FvwmButtons: (2x2, Frame 2, Swallow(UseOld) "Inline" "Module FvwmPager Inline 0 0")
*FvwmButtons(NoSize Title Galeon, Icon wingdogs, Action `exec /usr/bin/galeon`)
*FvwmButtons(NoSize Title XChat, Icon mini.ear.xpm, Action `exec /usr/bin/xchat`)
*FvwmButtons(NoSize Title Close, Icon bomb.xpm, Action Close)
*FvwmButtons(NoSize Title Xterm, Icon xterm.xpm, Action `exec xterm -fn "-schumacher-*-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" -geometry 87x73 -sb -sl 4000 -ls &`)
*FvwmButtons(Size 50 50 Swallow(Respawn,NoHints) xclock 'exec xclock &')
#*FvwmButtons(End)

Anybody have any ideas or pointers on where to find out what the errors mean
and what's happening to the buttonbox and menus?

-- 
 Randy    ([email-masked])  715-726-2832          <*>

 The Penguin Cometh

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:24:04 +0200

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:30:51PM -0500, Randy Schultz wrote:
> compiled it, no compile errors.  

I think the problem come from the fact that RH 9.0 use UTF-8 locales.
If this the case there is at least two different solutions:
- Change your UTF-8 locale to an non UTF-8 locale.
- Use fvwm 2.5.7 (and report bugs if you have pbs).

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:05:32 -0400 (EDT)

Randy Schultz <[email-masked]> wrote
on Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:30:51 -0500 (CDT):
>
> Subject: FVWM: internal errors/blank menus
>
> Hey all,
> 
[...]
> working properly, I just can't see what I'm clicking on.

Randy, I had the same problem. In /etc/sysconfig/i18n change

  LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

to

  LANG="en_US"

Something to do with unicode. Maybe someone here who knows about
such things can explain why fvwm is having issues with UTF-8?

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister
Dept of Neuroscience
Georgetown University Medical Center
http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:21:30 +0200

> such things can explain why fvwm is having issues with UTF-8?

If you want to use an UTF-8 locale you should use fvwm-2.5.7.
fvwm-2.4.x is not UTF-8 ready (but maybe if you compile with
--enable-multibyte but I never try and I think that in this case
2.5.7 is more safe than 2.4.x). The internals errors come from
something that I am not sure to understand. The file
       x_prefix/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE
contains a magic line

on_demand_loading       True

which is totally undocumented and cause problems with GC. The reason
of this line (I think) is that the core X fonts are not really UTF-8
ready ... (Xft is ok for this). Someone can probably clarify this.

Note that using an UTF-8 locale can cause various pbs. E.g.,
with perl 5.8, programs which manipulate strings can be dramatically
slower. What happen with an UTF-8 xterm when you remote login
on a machine with a non UTF-8 locale? ...etc.
Again, someone else can surely gives better examples.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Randy Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:28:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Richard Lister spaketh thusly:

-}> When I fire up fvwm, whether with all defaults or with my own .fvwm2rc, 
-}> all windows fire up and work.  However once fvwm is up and running any menu
-}> I bring up is blank.  The background is correctly set to whatever Background 
-}> is set to in .fvwm2rc but there's no text.  The "hotspots" are there and 
-}> working properly, I just can't see what I'm clicking on.
-}
-}
-}Randy, I had the same problem. In /etc/sysconfig/i18n change
-}
-}  LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
-}
-}to
-}
-}  LANG="en_US"
-}
-}Something to do with unicode. Maybe someone here who knows about
-}such things can explain why fvwm is having issues with UTF-8?

Tnx heaps and loads all who replied.  That was it.  I'm now using my fav 
speedy li'l WM again.  

One quick question for learning reasons.  I was running down a way different
path trying to fix the problem.  What evidence pointed anybody to the LANG
setting fix?  I would never have thought of that, esp. with apps working 
fine.  Oh, and Olivier Chapuis had it nailed with the string parsing.  I've
found out that using UTF-8 makes even simple greps bog way down.

Tnx again for the help.

 The Penguin Cometh