Subject: FVWM: Beep when using FvwmWinList Transient

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:46:45 +0200

Hi there,

I switched to "FvwmWinList Transient" from FvwmTaskBar. I
realized that the command:

Module FvwmWinList Transient

produces a couple of beeps (3 or more) which I find very
disturbing.
Any hints how to switch this off?

The command "Module FvwmWinList" does not produce this beep
but it remains the list after clicking.

(fvwm 2.5.6, Sun Solaris)

I don't like to switch off the X-beep using "xset b 0" or
something similar.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,  Uwe Pross
 (O,O) mailto:[email-masked]
 (   ) http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
=-"-"-================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:06:06 +0200

> I don't like to switch off the X-beep using "xset b 0" or

The beeps indicate that something bad has happened.  As
FvwmWinList does not produce beeps itself they must come from
somwhere inside fvwm.  This probably indicates a bug.

I know I am asking for much, but could you systematically disable
all XBell() calls in the fvwm/ directory to see which ones cause
the beeps?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:17:19 +0200

Hi there,

On 23 May 2003 at 16:06:06 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> FvwmWinList does not produce beeps itself they must come
> from somwhere inside fvwm.

I have thought that :-|

> This probably indicates a bug.
> 
> I know I am asking for much, but could you systematically
> disable all XBell() calls in the fvwm/ directory to see
> which ones cause the beeps?

I am quite busy at the moment. If I am the only one who has
this problem it might be on my side. 

I change the configuration a bit and see what's happen ...

After commenting out the following lines the beep is gone:

# *FvwmWinListButtonFrameWidth 2
# *FvwmWinListLeftJustify

Hope this helps ;-)

Regards, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:23:08 +0200

> # *FvwmWinListLeftJustify

Only if you post the rest of your FvwmWinList config too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:58:56 +0200

Hi there,

> Only if you post the rest of your FvwmWinList config too.

Sorry, after reading the list that long I should have known
it better ;-)

Here is all config stuff which is involved:

----------------------config start------------------------------------

DestroyFunc TaskBarButton1
AddToFunc TaskBarButton1  I Iconify off
 + I WindowShade off
 + I FlipFocus
 + I Raise

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Win list
#---------------------------------------------------------------------
*FvwmWinListFont -*-lucida-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmWinListFore $[fg.cs8] 
*FvwmWinListBack $[bg.cs8] 
*FvwmWinListFocusFore $[fg.cs7] 
*FvwmWinListFocusBack $[bg.cs7] 
*FvwmWinListIconFore  $[fg.cs9] 
*FvwmWinListIconBack  $[bg.cs9] 
# *FvwmWinListButtonFrameWidth 2
*FvwmWinListUseSkipList
# *FvwmWinListLeftJustify
*FvwmWinListAction Click1 Function TaskBarButton1
*FvwmWinListAction Click2 Iconify  1
*FvwmWinListAction Click3 Module "FvwmIdent" FvwmIdent
*FvwmWinListGeometry    +0-1

------------------config end------------------------------------------

I tried also the new syntax like 

*FvwmWinList: IconBack  $[bg.cs9] 

with the same result.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:25:29 +0200

> Here is all config stuff which is involved:

No, that does not show any problem for me.  How exactly do you
invoke the window list?  Via FvwmConsole, a key or a mouse button?
Does it make any difference if you choose another method?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 07:22:10 +0200

Hi there,

> Does it make any difference if you choose another method?

Okay, here we go:

Mouse   2       R       A       Module  FvwmWinList -transient
Mouse   2       A       4       Module  FvwmWinList -transient

But I had some tries this morning which showed a
non-determinisitic behaviour of this problem:

First I used mouse button 2 and the beeps occured. Then I
used FvwmConsole to start this command and the beep did not
occur. Using button 2 afterwards did not cause a beep.

So maybe we stop here. I found a workaround and the problem
does not seem that serious.

Regards, Uwe