Subject: FVWM: Exec ssh ... dies

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:10:55 +0200

Hi,

I added the following menu entry

    + "QQQ: forward inka ports" Exec ssh -N -L1119:news.inka.de:119 
-L1125:mail.inka.de:25 -L1110:mail.inka.de:110 inka

However, when clicking on "QQQ: forward inka ports" the ssh deamon starts 
but terminates immediately afterwards. When I start the above ssh command 
from a terminal everything works fine. I already tried using the "-n" 
option but this doesn't work for port forwarding (then ssh terminates 
immediately, even when started from a terminal).

What am I doing wrong?

Felix

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:26:42 +0200

Hi there,

> immediately, even when started from a terminal).

Do you want to start a ssh deamon or a client? 

Supposing you meant a ssh client I guess you should start a
xterm for the ssh. The following worked on my computer:

     + "QQQ: forward inka ports" Exec xterm -e ssh -N \
        -L1119:news.inka.de:119 -L1125:mail.inka.de:25 \
        -L1110:mail.inka.de:110 inka.de

Regards, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,  Uwe Pross
 (O,O) mailto:[email-masked]
 (   ) http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
=-"-"-================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:36:37 +0200

On Monday 05 May 2003 10:26, Uwe Pross wrote:
> > However, when clicking on "QQQ: forward inka ports" the ssh deamon
> > starts but terminates immediately afterwards. When I start the above
> > ssh command from a terminal everything works fine. I already tried
> > using the "-n" option but this doesn't work for port forwarding (then
> > ssh terminates immediately, even when started from a terminal).
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>

The command above clearly indicates that I want to start a client. I doubt 
that I can forward ports from "inka" to my local computer using a deamon.

>         -L1110:mail.inka.de:110 inka.de

Sure, this will work. However, I don't want to start an xterm but redirect 
the output to a log file instead. Note that I use the ssh connection just 
for port forwarding, not for any interaction.

Felix

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 May 2003 04:43:48 -0400

> immediately, even when started from a terminal).

Well, -n is what you need, and when using -N ssh doesn't terminate for
me so long as the remote host is running ssh protocol version 2 (which
is required for -N to work.)  If the remote host is only running
protocol 1 and you don't have the power to upgrade the daemon on the
remote host (which would be the ideal solution), you'll have to give ssh
a command to run--either sleep with a long timeout, or a small program
that simply sits around and does nothing until terminated.

-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:15:04 +0200

> that simply sits around and does nothing until terminated.

Well, the remote server is running "sshd version 1.2.32 [i686-unknown-linux]" 
and I don't have the power to make an upgrade. So, I'll have to go with 
sleep. Thanks for clearing that up!

Felix