Subject: FVWM: windows acting in tandem

From: "Rouben Rostamian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:18:07 -0400

Fvwm version: 2.4.5 

Let's say I have three windows with resource names win1, win2, win3.
I want to set things up so that when any of the three windows are
raised, the other two are also raised automatically.  Similarly,
when any one of them is lowered, the other two are also lowered
automatically.  In other words, the three windows act in tandem as
far as raising/lowering goes.

Let's assume that the geometry of the windows are fixed and they
do now overlap, otherwise we may run into problems.

I played around with FvwmEvent but did not get far.  I would appreciate
if you could help me with this.

In case you are wondering why I want to do this, here is the reason.
I have three little windows near the bottom edge of the screen.
A Pager, an Xosview, and an Xload.  Like this:

     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
     |            |     |            |     |            |
     |            |     |            |     |            |
     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+

If these windows are partially obscured by another application and
if the user raises one of them, I want all three to raise at once,
giving the impression that they are one whole unit, not three separate
windows.

PS:  I tried putting the three objects inside one FvwmButtons, but wasn't
able to make transparent horizontal gaps between them.

-- 
Rouben Rostamian
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:00:16 +0000

> if you could help me with this.

You should be aware of endless loops. Say, you listen to lower_window,
get win1 then you lower all 3 windows and get 3 new lower_window
events... Maybe "*FvwmEvent: Delay 2" will help you to avoid this.

Is the problem that your windows are CirculateSkip? Then do:

  Next (FvwmPager, CirculateHit) Lower

> A Pager, an Xosview, and an Xload.  Like this:

This is indead the best solution. Can you try again with 2.5.x using
transparent colorset and "Style FvwmButtons ParentalRelativity"?

Regards,
Mikhael.