Subject: FVWM: Happy Birthday

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:22:53 -0700

Is it only 10 years? feels like longer ;-)

I started using Unix in the days of proprietary-hardware CAD systems.  When the 
industry's software mostly started running on Sun equipment, and a little later 
Sun supported X11 with Openlook, a sysadmin turned me on to MWM as an 
alternative.  I think I started using FVWM in about 1994, and even then, like 
most TWM descendents I guess, it was pretty stable. I liked it because it was 
versatile, configurable down to the pixel, and had a single, reasonably sensible 
configuration file that I could play with to my geeky heart's content.  I used 
CTWM for awhile because for a time, you could do more with the titlebars, but I 
was running used Sun equipment at home and had performance problems.  So I went 
back to FVWM and found that not only was it immensely faster on my creaky 
SparcStation, but it had made strides in designability in the meantime.  Then, 
when the MultiPixmap style was added, almost all my wishes came true (many 
thanks to Suzanne.)

It's only in the last year that I finally switched to Linux at home.  But I 
still run FVWM on my Sun at work, as well as on my MacOSX machine on the rare 
occasions when I run a rooted X server on it (alas, the Fink distribution is 
still version 2.4.x)

Happy Birthday to the best of all window managers!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dorothy Robinson
http://www.twobarleycorns.net

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].