Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: FVWM: preventing application focus and "on top" or "front"]

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:40:39 +0200

----- Forwarded message from Casey Crabb <[email-masked]> -----

From: Casey Crabb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FVWM: preventing application focus and "on top" or "front"
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:57:51 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
User-Agent: Mutt/1.3.28i
To: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:37:24PM +0200, Johan Svedberg wrote:
> > > Is there a way to configure fvwm to forbid application focus and "on
> > > top" or "front" unless I specifically take action to focus the window
> > > or bring it to the front?
> > >
> > > Is it possible to do this, is there a reason I'm not thinking of for
> > > why this wouldn't be desirable?
> >
> > Not sure that I understand you right, but I think you are looking for
> > StartsOnPage (or StartsOnDesk) which is described in the FAQ (7.3).
>
> I forgot to mention that you probably want to use this together with
> SkipMapping which also is mentioned in the FAQ (7.3).

Thanks for the tip; but its not quite what I want. I don't want
applications to start up on any given desktop or page. I want them to
be able to start up anywhere; and I want them never to be able to
steal my focus or my viewspace. It may be that what I want is
impossible though, so this is a good back up solution. Thanks

--
Casey

----- End forwarded message -----
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

> > > > or bring it to the front?
...
> impossible though, so this is a good back up solution. Thanks

It almost sounds as if you want them to start iconified.

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:49:59 +0200

* May 08 00:42 Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>:

[...]

> impossible though, so this is a good back up solution. Thanks

I don't think it's impossible; I believe that it could be done with a
function, although I'm too tired to come up with something right at the
moment. :-/

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle

---

From: Casey Crabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:51:49 -0500

> It almost sounds as if you want them to start iconified.

That would probably do half of it; the other half is I have a couple
of misbehaved applications that, during the course of execution, try
to steal my focus and attention. I can't get away from the
applications, they're part of my job; what I'd like to do is force
them to behave by refusing to give them focus when they demand it.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 01:05:05 +0200

> them to behave by refusing to give them focus when they demand it.

Well, this part can't be done without cooperation of the
application.  If it takes the focus itself there is little you can
do since X does not ask the window manager for confirmation when a
window steals the focus.  Possible solutions:

 1) Use FvwmEvent to transfer the focus back to the previous
    window when one of the said windows steals the focus.  It will
    be difficult to define what is an acceptable transfer of focus
    and what is not.  And you might still lose a couple of
    keystrokes in the process.

 2) Reserve a separate desk (not page) for these applications.
    Since their windows are never mapped while you are on another
    desk, they will hopefully not be able to steal the focus.

If you are lucky, the application use X's urgency hint to take
hold of the focus.  When fvwm receives such a message, it
executes the predefined UrgencyFunc on the window and gives it the
focus in the process.  In that case deleting the UrgencyFunc (see
man page) will help:

  DestroyFunc UrgencyFunc

Can I try out any of the misbehaved apps myself?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].