Subject: FVWM: unrecognized xmodmap setting

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:38:55 -0500

fvmw-2.5.6
XFree86-4.1.0

My .xmodmaprc has this in it:

    keycode 115 = Super_L
    keycode 116 = Super_R
    clear mod3
    clear mod4
    add mod3 = Super_L
    add mod4 = Super_R

and in my .fvwm2rc file I have this:

    AddToFunc InitFunction
    + I SetEnv QT_XFT 1
    + I exec xset s off b 50 64 50 r rate 250 32 m 5 10
    + I exec xsetroot -solid grey30
    + I exec gkrellm
    + I Exec xautolock -time 5 \
    	-locker "xlock -mode galaxy -nolock -erasedelay 0 -mousemotion"
    + I Exec xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
    
    # omitted irrelevant stuff

    Key Super_L     A       A       Menu MenuFvwmRoot

I'm trying to configure fvwm so that my left windoze key will bring up
the main fvwm menu, regardless of the the context.  The only way it
works, though, is if I Restart fvwm.  If I just start fvwm it doesn't
work and my .xsession-errors file has this at the top:

    [FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: Super_L

Thanks in advance for any answers to this.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:44:36 +0200

> Thanks in advance for any answers to this.

I am not sure what the code has to do so that it catches changes
in the keyboard layout.  Since 2.5.3, fvwm handles MappingNotify
events and calls XRefreshKeyboardMapping() to update its knowledge
of the keyboard, but your example shows that it does not fully
work.

To solve the problem, you should hard code the Xmodmap.  You can
generate a dump of the key map with xmodmap and put it in your
$HOME/.Xmodmap:

  $ xmodmap -pke > $HOME/.Xmodmap

You can then remove the xmodmap call from your start function.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:08:03 -0500

> You can then remove the xmodmap call from your start function.

This must be some kind of timing issue.  I generated the dump like you
said, but fvwm still behaved the same way.

Running xev (without running my original xmodmap script), I found out
that X thinks Key 115 is the Meta_L key.  I changed the Key command in
my .fvwm2rc file accordingly and now it works fine.  Thanks for your
help.