Subject: FVWM: Why gThumb can't work correctly under fvwm?

From: Hongzheng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 May 2003 14:16:00 +0800

Hi, I have a problem about gThumb under fvwm. I wonder if I should
post this question here, but I don't where should be. So, if I made
a wrong decision I appologize first.

Recently I began to use your FVWM wm. In the past, I was using gnome,
but it is too slow I can't bear it at all. However, when I use gThumb,
a very good photoviewer under gnome, a problem occured. If I make
gThumb full screen display, it will not really full screen display,
on the other hand, it become a very small (as the picture in attachment).

Can you help with this problem?

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:17:28 +0200

> Can you help with this problem?

I don't see a problem with the newest fvwm code (the upcoming
2.5.7 release) and gthumb-0.9.8.  Perhaps you should ask the
gthumb developers.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:31:22 +0200

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:31:51PM +0800, Hongzheng Wang wrote:
> Hi. Here is the version information about my fvwm:
> 
> fvwm 2.5.6 compiled on Feb 28 2003 at 06:47:05
> with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, 
> Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS
> 
> I asked this quesion on gThumb maillist, and Some people said : 
> 
> if I remember well old versions of gThumb required your window manager
> to support the _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN property and I dubt this is the
> case for Fvwm.

Fvwm fully supports _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN.  I assume it does
not work with gThumb because it sets _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
after its window is already mapped.

> I don't know what this mean. Perhaps, I have to use another viewer
> instead fvwm.

Besides, it is pretty broken to blindly assume the window manager
supports this feature because (a) according to the EWMH spec this
hint is fully optional and (b) the window manager may not
implement the EWMH spec at all.

Perhaps you can forward this mail to the gThump developers.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:38:28 +0200

> after its window is already mapped.

Ooops, In fact fvwm (2.5.x branch) does not support
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, I do not see how to implement this without a
new command or a new option to Maximize "fullscreen" which will remove
the decoration, maximize and possibly put the window into layer +2
(and keep in memory what is needed to restore the window). I've planed
to do this so fvwm claim to support _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN this is a
bug. Two possible fixes: add this fullscreen option to Maximize or
remove _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN from the list of the supported EWMH
stuff.

Regards, Olivier