Subject: FVWM: happy birthday!

From: ANYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 23:08:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hey guys,
you asked for it, so I'll tell you.
I fist installed FreeBSD in 1997 and, I believe, I immediately installed
fvwm2 on it. Maybe played with fvwm95 a bit. We also had RedHat with fvwm
in school. I then briefly switched to KDE, played with Gnome, but soon
went back to fvwm2. I kept trying out KDE and Gnome periodically, but both
seems to be too slow and (surprisingly enough) neither of them had a usable
pager.
So today I have fvwm2 on my FreeBSD server/desktop, on my laptop
(FreeBSD/RedHat) and on my university account.
I even had one patch (minor bug fix) accepted which I'm a bit proud of :)

Here is my 4 year old screenshot:
http://polkan2.dyndns.org/~meshko/images/screen.jpg

Happy birthday and thanks!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Rouben Rostamian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 00:29:58 -0400

I join the other happy users in conveying my congratulations
on the occasion of Fvmw's 10th birthday.

I recall very well the day when I asked a colleague to bring
his laptop over to show me this new thing called Linux.
It must have been around 1993 or so.  I believe he was running
fvwm as window manager.  The desktop contained the familiar
pager with each desktop split into 3x3 pages.  It looked very
similar to twm and mwm window managers which I had been using
at the time on Sun and Sgi machines.

The next day I instructed my sysadmin to download and install
Linux on my desktop.  That was before the days of fast internet
connections, CD burners, and commercial Linux distributions.
His download required a couple of days and took up about 30 floppies.
It must have been Linux kernel 0.96 or thereabouts.

The distribution (Slackware, I think) came with fvwm.  Converting
my twm config files to fvwm required very little effort.  The syntax
was almost the same.

I have used nothing but Linux and fvwm since then.  Shortly thereafter
we retired all our Sun and Sgi equipment and went completely Linux
in a department of about 30 faculty and 50 graduate students.  The
sysadmin maintained a firm control on configuring user accounts.
The only window manager made available was fvwm and it remains that
way to this day.  Generations of students have gone through the
department since, graduating with master's and doctoral degrees,
having done their entire graduate research, computation and
publishing through screens controlled by fvwm.  

I look forward to using fvwm for many years to come.

Happy birthday!

--
Rouben Rostamian                          phone: 410-455-2412
Department of Mathematics and Statistics  email: [email-masked]
University of Maryland, Baltimore County  fax: 410-455-1066
Baltimore, MD 21250, USA                  www: http://www.math.umbc.edu
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].