Subject: FVWM: preventing application focus and "on top" or "front"

From: Casey Crabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:46:33 -0500

Is there a way to configure fvwm to forbid application focus and "on
top" or "front" unless I specifically take action to focus the window
or bring it to the front?

I have a habit of starting several applications, then going back to
web-browsing for a while; and would like to find a stopping point in my
web-browsing before dealing with whatever application I started. I just
want the application to start and behave itself quietly in the
background.

The faq wasn't revealing any easy way to do this, and google wasn't
much help either.

Is it possible to do this, is there a reason I'm not thinking of for
why this wouldn't be desirable?

--
Casey
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:34:29 +0200

> why this wouldn't be desirable?

Not sure that I understand you right, but I think you are looking for
StartsOnPage (or StartsOnDesk) which is described in the FAQ (7.3).

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:37:24 +0200

> StartsOnPage (or StartsOnDesk) which is described in the FAQ (7.3).

I forgot to mention that you probably want to use this together with
SkipMapping which also is mentioned in the FAQ (7.3).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:48:31 +0200

> why this wouldn't be desirable?

You may want to try

  Style * StartsLowered

To prevent new windows from grabbing the focus, use

  Style * !GrabFocus, !GrabFocusTransient

in 2.5.x or the older syntax for 2.4.x:

  Style * GrabFocusOff, GrabFocusTransientOff

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Casey Crabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:57:57 -0500

>   Style * GrabFocusOff, GrabFocusTransientOff

This is what I was looking for, thank you :)