Subject: FVWM: theme configuration questions

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 2003 13:10:14 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to compose my personal theme with bits and pieces from some
of the themes (mainly default + olicha). 

Versions info: fvwm 2.5.6 (with support for: XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, NLS)
               fvwm-themes 0.6.2 on Solaris 5.8.

Hope somebody can help me with a few minor details:

1. Can I remove the left button and the right window that shows the time on
   the TaskBar?

2. I'd like to have a border around FvwmButtons-FvwmApplets>. I thought
   I can change this with the following line in styles-extra:
   Style "FvwmButtons-FvwmApplets" BorderWidth 2
   but this doesn't help

3. is there a tool/module that I can use to see all the Colorsets of a theme

4. when I open the Pager-Desker panel (theme olicha), hide the panel
   behind another window, and then bring it back to the foreground,
   the border corners, that were hidden, look gaudy (sometimes a
   different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

Thanks

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
The future isn't what it used to be. It never was.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:07:44 +0100 (BST)

--- Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]> wrote: > 
> 1. Can I remove the left button and the right window that shows the time

I would be inclined to create a directory in $HOME/.fvwm

Into that directory cp the appropriate files from both themes.

> 3. is there a tool/module that I can use to see all the Colorsets of a

Yes, <CTRL><SHIFT><F9> will give you the appropriate colour palette.

>    different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

Use FvwmEvent for this.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

__________________________________________________
It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others. 
Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:38:19 +0000

> Into that directory cp the appropriate files from both themes.

I think you didn't understand the original question.

> Yes, <CTRL><SHIFT><F9> will give you the appropriate colour palette.

This only gives meaningful results in 2 themes that use color palletes.

> >    different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

I think you didn't understand the original problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:51:15 +0000

> 1. Can I remove the left button and the right window that shows the time on

Kind of. Go to "Themes -> Current -> modules" and choose one of the
supplied WinList or IconMan options instead of TaskBar. A side effect of
this will be that the window list will grow up. If you want it to behave
exactly like FvwmTaskBar, but without its left and right parts, ask the
theme author (or me) to add this options to modules@olicha.

>    Style "FvwmButtons-FvwmApplets" BorderWidth 2

You should do this in modules-extra, not styles-extra, because
styles-extra is read before modules.

> 3. is there a tool/module that I can use to see all the Colorsets of a theme

Type in FvwmConsole (Alt-F12) the following:

  FvwmScript FvwmScript-Colorset

But this tool is not perfect. It seems to be buggy, the colorset
background image flashes for me and then is replaced with a solid bg.

>    different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

Can you suply a screenshot showing the problem?

BTW, there is a fvwm-themes-users mailing list for the questions.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:04:05 +0200

> 1. Can I remove the left button and the right window that shows the time on

With the future 2.5.7 (or current cvs) add in modules-extra:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTaskBar: Start*
*FvwmTaskBar: NoDefaultStartButton
*FvwmTaskBar: ClockFormat 
*FvwmTaskBar: DateFormat
*FvwmTaskBar: MailBox None

>    different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

Hum, I can reproduce this, but maybe I do not understand the procedure.
Can you give more details and/or a step by step procedure (my English
is a bit poor ...).

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:39:58 +0000

> >    different color, sometimes some weird pixels)

[changed "can" to "can't"]

> Hum, I can't reproduce this, but maybe I do not understand the procedure.

Klaus sent me privately this screenshot:

  http://fvwm.sourceforge.net/tmp/fvwm-decor-refresh-bug.jpg

and added:

> > BTW when I move the mouse ptr into the desker it'll redraw the
> > borders just fine.

I can't reproduce this either with pre-2.4.16, but colors on the
screenshot do not seem to be among ones included with fvwm-themes, so
there is no enough info here. This may do something with X.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 May 2003 22:16:50 -0400

> there is no enough info here. This may do something with X.

In the screenshot, it looks like the bottom half is filled with bits of
a terminal window.  I would guess would be that either FvwmButtons isn't
redrawing for some reason (could be X server related), or the X server
is corrupting the pixmap cache/XAA offscreen drawing area (definitely X
server related.)  The top half looks like it was part of another window
as well, but it's nothing I recognize.

-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>