Subject: FVWM: How to make Screenshoots with xwd from a fullscreen with open menus ?

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 04:26:46 +0200

Hello all, 

I like to make screenschoots from fullscreen but with some opened menus... 

How does it work ??? 

On each keyboard there is a button 'Print' so I like to use it for this. 
Has anyone done this before ??? - and if yes,  - HOW ???

Thanks in advance
Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |
| FunkLAN-Providerin                                                       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:43:37 -0400

> Has anyone done this before ??? - and if yes,  - HOW ???

If you want to use xwd, do something like:

key Print Exec /bin/sh -c 'sleep 10;xwd -root -out /tmp/xwd.out'

bind it to the printscreen key, hit the key, then activate the
menu.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:10:33 +0000

> bind it to the printscreen key, hit the key, then activate the

If you have ImageMagick installed, I really suggest to use "import
-window root screenshot.png". It supports dozens of image formats
including PNG/JPG/GIF, xwd only supports huge XWD files.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:35:28 +0000

if you want make some screenshots with opened menus try (i'm using fvwm 2.5.6) open a menu and press backspace key. and if you open some
submenus too click on the submenu, move the cursor on the submenu and press backspace.

what is the command for do it? i'd like to map this action with another key
thanks,

On Thu, 15 May 2003 10:10:33 +0000

-- 
 karnak
 E-Mail: [email-masked]
 E-Mail: [email-masked]
 IRC: irc.freenode.net #linux-malaga

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:14:12 +0200

Hello Mikhael, 

>including PNG/JPG/GIF, xwd only supports huge XWD files.

Do you know netpbm ?

I pipe my Dumpscreen trough netpbm: 

*ButtonBar: (Frame 1, Title "xwd", Icon 32x32.xwd.xpm, Action \
        "Exec exec xwd |xwdtopnm |pnmtojpeg --quality 100 \
        >~/.fvwm/dumps/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.jpg")

It works fine for me and I have the dumps timestamed. 

Thanks for the suggestions but I have a question: 

key Print Exec /bin/sh...

I was thinking, 'Key' has three values and the Action...
Is this right ???

After exiting the xsession, deleting the .xsession-errors I get the Error: 

[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset 'fixed', trying
'-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
find_context: bad context or modifier e
find_context: bad context or modifier x
find_context: bad context or modifier e
find_context: bad context or modifier c
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<WARNING>> Illegal context in line Print Exec
/bin/bash -c 'sleep 5;xwd -root |xwdtopnm |pnmtojpeg --quality 100
>~/.fvwm/dumps/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.jpg'
find_context: bad context or modifier /
find_context: bad context or modifier b
find_context: bad context or modifier i
find_context: bad context or modifier /
find_context: bad context or modifier b
find_context: bad context or modifier h
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<WARNING>> Illegal modifier in line Print Exec
/bin/bash -c 'sleep 5;xwd -root |xwdtopnm |pnmtojpeg --quality 100
>~/.fvwm/dumps/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.jpg'
/home/michelle/.fvwm/wall/1024x768.veronika-tux.2.jpg is a 1024x768
JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3 comps, Huffman coding.
  Merging...done
  Building XImage...done

Now I have added two 'A' for context 'ALL' and modifier 'ALL' and now
it works...

Question:   I can not open the Menus and press 'Print'. - WHY ???
            Ther is no reaction. (the nenus are not closed)

Many Thanks
Michelle

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:40:11 +0000

> I was thinking, 'Key' has three values and the Action...

It was a typo, Dan really meant:

  Key Print A A Exec /bin/sh...

>             Ther is no reaction. (the nenus are not closed)

Because when the menu is open no normal activity is done, global mouse
and keyboard bindings do not work (except for those handled by menus),
module commands are not processed and so on. But system works of course.
This is why you should bind it like:

  Key s A CM Exec sleep 15; import -window root /tmp/screenshot.png

Then you have 15 seconds after pressing Ctrl-Alt-S to open any submenus
you like.

Regards,
Mikhael.