Subject: FVWM: Need help with menu item

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:50:42 -0700

I would like to add an item to my Fvwm menu that opens 6 Netscape
browser windows on one of my virtual desktops.

Each of the Netscape windows would open a different URL.

And the 6 Netscape windows would be arranged in tile fashion on the
screen, so I can see all at the same time and there is no overlapping of
windows.  (In other words, a grid of 2 rows and 3 columns.)

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Mark Lindsay
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 22:37:19 +0000

> Any suggestions on how to do this?

I see several ways to do this. You may create a script that runs all
netscapes, so it is easier to test this from a command line before you
add try to do it from a menu.

1) Start 6 netscape processes and specify -geometry on the command line.
Choose sizes/positions accourding to your screen size to fit exactly.

2) Start 6 netscape processes and then (after 6 pairs of Exec+Wait)
run "FvwmRearrange -tile" (play with its options to do what you want).

To run more than one netscape, use these parameters:

  netscape -remote 'openURL(http://fvwm.org/, new-window)'

It is probably possible to solve your task without running 6 netscapes,
but you didn't say what is your task (probably out of topic here).
Anyway, you may create one local html page with <frame> tag that includes
any layout you want, for example 6 frames showing 6 different locations
arranged in a grid of 2 rows and 3 columns.

Regards,
Mikhael.