Subject: FVWM: delay when window gets focus

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:01:31 +0200

Hi,

unfortunatelly I can't find the answer in the man pages to the following
little question:

(1) Everything *is* ok when I e.g. change focus from one window to the
other by clicking the fvwmtaskbar. The new window appears at once.

(2) Focus also changes emediately (and window is drawn at once) when
clicking to a window which doesn't *overlap* another window.

(3) However in a very special case the focus change but the new window
is drawn with a certain delay of half a second. This is quite
irritating. So, to reproduce this case do the following:

- take two windows, let them overlap a bit
- click onto the *titlebar* (not into the body of the window!) of the
window in the background and
- just click, don't move the mouse!
In this case you'll notice the delay.

So, sorry for this long story. Does anybody know how to change this
behaviour?

Thank You
 Felix Kater
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:51:47 +0100 (BST)

> unfortunatelly I can't find the answer in the man pages to the following

[..snip..]

> So, sorry for this long story. Does anybody know how to change this

Felix,

I think what you are describing here is inherent in the way that fvwm is
setup (there is nothing wrong -- it is not a bug). The reason why it takes
that fraction of a second longer, is because clicking and holding mouse
button 1 invokes the "move" function that allows you to move the window.

If you want to have that window raised and focused (via sloppyfocus), then
ensure that the autoraise module is loaded.

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

__________________________________________________
Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience
http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:55:42 +0200

Thomas Adam:

> > (3) However in a very special case the focus change but the new
> > window is drawn with a certain delay of half a second. This is quite
> > - click onto the *titlebar* (not into the body of the window!) of
> > the window in the background and
> I think what you are describing here is inherent in the way that fvwm
> is setup (there is nothing wrong -- it is not a bug). The reason why
> it takes that fraction of a second longer, is because clicking and
> holding mouse button 1 invokes the "move" function that allows you to
> move the window.
> 
> If you want to have that window raised and focused (via sloppyfocus),
> then ensure that the autoraise module is loaded.

Hi Thomas,

I think things you descibe are a bit different from what I meant: I am
not talking about click *and hold* the mouse button.

If the delay was due to some processor time it's ok but it isn't: If you
click (just a short click) and don't move the mouse then you'll have the
delay. If you instead click (just like the first time) and move the
mouse *afterwards* the background window is brought to the front
emediately and without delay. I don't think that this is a really
essetial thing but it makes fvwm look slow in some cases which wouldn't
be necessary, it seems.

btw: I forgot to say that sloppy focus isn't of course what I am talking
about. The whole thing does of course only appear with ClickToFocus
policy.

Thanks
 Felix

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:40:01 +0200

> So, sorry for this long story. Does anybody know how to change this

If you have a function which handles single clicks and double
clicks differently, fvwm has to wait for a moment after releasing
the button to see if the single click becomes a double click:

  AddToFunc foo
  + C Raise
  + M Move
  + D WindowShade

--> delay

To get rid of the delay you can remove the double click action:

  AddToFunc bar
  + C Raise
  + M Move

or you can shorten the delay with the ClickTime command:

  Clicktime 30

lowers the allowed delay between the two clicks of a double click
to 30 milliseconds.  The defulat value is 150 milliseconds.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:59:27 +0200

> To get rid of the delay you can remove the double click action:

I love it I love it I love it.
I knew fvwm would do it somehow!
Thank you.
 Felix
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].