Subject: FVWM: Focus and fvwm1 look

From: Thomas Kaehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:34:05 +0200

Hello,

several years ago I used fvwm1. Now I decided to give fvwm2 a try
and have a lot of questions :-)

Is there a possibility to make it look like fvwm1?

Especially the window frame seems to have changed (additional colored
line, different colors). You can take a look at
"http://www.alsdorf-online.de/fvwm/" for the difference.

Second, is it possible to change the color for inactive sticky windows
instead of changing the title bar to "StippledTitle" (old
StickyBackColor command). I've already tried to do it by changing the
style, when changing to/from sticky. Unfortunately I didn't succeed.

I changed my WindowListFunc to...
DestroyFunc WindowListFunc
AddToFunc WindowListFunc
+ I WindowId $0 Raise
+ I WindowId $0 FlipFocus

... and added a Key:
Key F7  A       M       Next (AcceptsFocus,CurrentPage) SwitchToApp
AddToFunc SwitchToApp
+ I     Focus
+ I     Raise

Pressing Alt-F7 raises and focusses the next window (desired effect).
When selecting a window using the WindowList the window raises, but it
is not focussed, unless the mouse pointer is in the root window or by
accident in the selected window. How can I change the
function/WindowList to behave similar to pressing Alt-F7?
I don't want to use WarpToWindow, because I don't like the mouse pointer
jumping around the screen.

You can get my current config file from
"http://www.alsdorf-online.de/fvwm/fvwm2rc". I am using version "2.4.15"

Thanks in advance.

Ciao,
Thomas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:46:48 +0000

> "http://www.alsdorf-online.de/fvwm/" for the difference.

You can't change the 3d effect of a window border, it is hardcoded.
But you may try to adjust other things. I used:

  TitleStyle Simple  # not really needed unless you want to change decors
  TitleStyle Centered Height 18
  ButtonStyle 1 5 23x40@1 23x60@1 77x60@0 77x40@0 23x40@1

  Colorset 1 fg black, bg rgb:5f/9f/bf, hi rgb:87/e0/f8, sh rgb:2f/4f/5f
  Colorset 2 fg black, bg rgb:bf/5f/6f, hi rgb:f8/87/97, sh rgb:5f/2f/37

  Style * Colorset 1, HilightColorset 2
  Style * BorderColorset 1, HilightBorderColorset 2
  Style * BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 5
  Style * Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

It looks the most closer to your "old" screenshot that I may think of.

> style, when changing to/from sticky. Unfortunately I didn't succeed.

No, currently it is not generally possible.

> jumping around the screen.

You should either use WarpToWindow or ClickToFocus.
If you use SloppyFocus you explicitely request the window under cursor to
receive a focus, this is what happens. Try "WarpToWindow 50 10p".

BTW, in 2.5.x it works like you want, i.e. another window than the one
under cursor is focussed until you leave/enter a window. I don't know
whether this is an indended behaviour. One may like or hate this.

> "http://www.alsdorf-online.de/fvwm/fvwm2rc". I am using version "2.4.15"

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Thomas Kaehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 21:49:59 +0200

Hello Mikhael,

> It looks the most closer to your "old" screenshot that I may think of.
Thanks for the quick answer and the config options! This looks great and
to my mind more harmonicly. 

> whether this is an indended behaviour. One may like or hate this.
Actually this is more consistent behaviour, as using "Key"s or the
module FvwmEvent (see FAQ 3.18) both behave this way. Well, I would like
it :-). 

For those who are interested: an updated config file can be grabbed from
"http://www.alsdorf-online.de/fvwm/fvwm2rc-2".

Ciao,
Thomas