Subject: FVWM: Re: your email without a subject

From: "Peter Olsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:25:06 +0000

Hello,

I have just installed fvwm 2.5.6 on my RedHat 8 system, but I have this 
strange problem. The fonts are virtually unreadable. I can read the font on 
the buttonbar, but the menu which pops up when I press the "start" button is 
almost unreadable. The same goes for the fonts on the titlebar of windows 
and the fonts in the fvwm configuration form. How do I correct this problem?

Thanks
/Peter

_________________________________________________________________
Få Hotmail på mobilen http://www.msn.dk/mobile

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:27:52 +0000

On 19 Apr 2003 12:25:06 +0000, Peter Olsen wrote:
> strange problem. The fonts are virtually unreadable. I can read the
> font on the buttonbar, but the menu which pops up when I press the
> "start" button is almost unreadable. The same goes for the fonts on the
> titlebar of windows and the fonts in the fvwm configuration form. How
> do I correct this problem?

There is no enough info to help you. And this is probably not an FVWM
problem.

By "unreadable" do you mean tiny or bad quality?

What is the font you use for menus (search for "MenuStyle * Font" line)?
What is the locale you use (run 'locale' from a shell)?

Do you have good fonts installed (at least XFree86-100dpi-fonts)?
Does your font server (xfs) function properly? How other apps show texts?

If you speak about the Setup95 configuration, for menus it uses font
"-*-times-medium-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*", you may test it by running:

  xterm -g 40x10 -fn '-*-times-medium-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

Of course it is not a monospace font, so xterm does not look ok with it.
But at least it should be pretty readable.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:15:37 +0930

> and the fonts in the fvwm configuration form. How do I correct this problem?

In Red Hat 8.0 they changed the LANG from en_US to en_US.UTF-8". To make
it work right, edit...

/etc/sysconfig/i18n and change LANG="en_US.UTF-8" to LANG="en_US". 

Then log out from the shell and back in. man and other apps will display
correct characters.

Some other rh8 specific quirks are answered/explained here....

http://redhat.cltonline.com/fom-serve/cache/4.html

HTH

Alex