Subject: FVWM: windows not overlapping a specific program

From: "Jules Alberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:22:18 +0200

Hello everyone,

In my fvwm I run a sticky gkrellm to monitor what's going on. I would 
like new windows to not overlap this one application. I guess it's done 
with a Style command in .fvwm2rc but I couldn't find it. Any tips? 
Thanks!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:21:34 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Jules Alberts thusly...
>
> In my fvwm I run a sticky gkrellm to monitor what's going on.
> I would like new windows to not overlap this one application.
> I guess it's done with a Style command in .fvwm2rc but I couldn't
> find it. Any tips? 

If your version supports Layer style (at least 2.5.[56] do), you
could supply the maximum layer number (see fvwm(1) man page) as
a style for your application.  Otherwise, search for "StayOnTop" in
the man page.

  - Parv

--

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:24:34 +0200

> with a Style command in .fvwm2rc but I couldn't find it. Any tips? 

In fvwm-2.5.x you can fine tune the placement algorithm to avoid
placing windows over specific other windows.  Look for
MinOverlapPlacementPenalties and
MinOverlapPercentPlacementPenalties in the man page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^