Subject: FVWM: Unfocused windows which need user-inupt

From: "Peter Olsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:43:40 +0000

Hello,

I want to do the following:

If a program needs user-input and the program-window is eighter hidden 
behind other windows or minimized, I would like this program-window brought 
to the front and focesed. I don't want this behaviour for all windows 
though, only a few (fx. my messenger). So I was wondering whether Fvwm (or 
X) keeps some kind of list of programs which needs user-input- and how to 
access this list?

Thanks
/Peter

_________________________________________________________________
Få nye ringetoner til mobilen 
http://www.msn.dk/mobile/logoringetone/ringetoner/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:38:53 +0200

> X) keeps some kind of list of programs which needs user-input- and how to 

What exactly are you trying to achieve?  Do you write your own
application or are you using one that someone else wrote?

If you are writing your own, your application can grab the focus
itself or use the UrgencyHint.  You should best look up how to do
this correctly in the ICCCM2 manual (link on our web page).

If you are using another application, you can only hope that the
application focuses itself or uses the UrgencyHint.

Look for the term UrgencyFunc in the fvwm man page for details.
If it grabs the focus itself you can use FvwmAuto or FvwmEvent to
raise/deiconify/unshade the window automatically.

Finally, if it's a shell based application, you can use the
FvwmCommand module to tell fvwm to bring the window to the front.
Something like this should work:

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmCommandS

  AddToFunc my_make_visible
  + I WindowShade off
  + I Iconify off
  + I Raise

The call the following from the shell

  FvwmCommand "Next (name-of-app-window) my_make_visible"

The name must be unique.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].