Subject: FVWM: Discrepancy in passing mouse button clicks

From: Piotr Zgorecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:07:23 +0200

Hi,

Mouse 5      A    M    Exec aumix -v-1

This makes fvwm pass the button press to the window below.
But changing the Exec to a window operation like the one below
doesn't pass the click:

Mouse 5      A    M    Raise

The problem (besides the discrepancy) is that I don't want the window
under the pointer to receive those button events.

chmurka:$ fvwm -version
FVWM version 2.4.15 compiled on Mar 23 2003 at 00:20:25
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Multibyte, Xinerama

I use SloppyFocus.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Piotr
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:20:48 -0400

> This makes fvwm pass the button press to the window below.

No it doesn't.  It makes Fvwm execute aumix passing the arguments -v-1.
The window under the pointer should not be affected.

> But changing the Exec to a window operation like the one below

Right, Fvwm gets the click and raises the window.

> with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Multibyte

I probably don't understand the problem.
You might want to try to explain it again.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Piotr Zgorecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:49:34 +0200

> The window under the pointer should not be affected.
Indeed, it does. When I scroll the wheel, I get both effects:
1. aumix executes and changes sound volume (this is what I intended to
have);
2. the window under the pointer gets the event and e.g. mozilla (or
whatever happens to be under the pointer) scrolls its contents (this
is not what I wanted to have...

> Right, Fvwm gets the click and raises the window.
_And_ fvwm doesn't pass the event to the window (contrary to what I
get with the Exec comamnd).

The only window that doesn't get the event in both cases (i.e. with
Exec and Raise) is the root window.

I hope I made a bit more clear.

Piotr

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:02:21 -0400

> is not what I wanted to have...

The event can only go one place or the other.
Are you sure you have the meta key held down during the entire
operation?

If you have xev installed, you might try to use it to figure out
whats happening.

> I hope I made a bit more clear.

Yes, I understand now, but the mystery remains.

---

From: Piotr Zgorecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:13:49 +0200

> If you have xev installed, you might try to use it to figure out
Ok. Here's its output:

For 'Mouse 4      A    M    Exec aumix -v+1':

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24424081, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

LeaveNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24425486, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 2056

EnterNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24425486, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 2056

KeymapNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  70  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   

ButtonPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24425486, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    state 0x8, button 4, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24425486, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    state 0x808, button 4, same_screen YES

KeyRelease event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 24426544, (83,135), root:(680,200),
    state 0x8, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

And for 'Mouse 5      A    M    Raise':

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 25382743, (121,117), root:(718,182),
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

LeaveNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 25383903, (121,117), root:(718,182),
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 4104

FocusOut event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusOut event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   

EnterNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 25383905, (121,117), root:(718,182),
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 8

KeymapNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  70  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   

KeyRelease event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x46, subw 0x0, time 25384651, (121,117), root:(718,182),
    state 0x8, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

> Yes, I understand now, but the mystery remains.
It surprised me too. Maybe it's my XFree? I have Debian's
4.2.1. Unfortunately I don't have any non-debian system with X to
check this.

Regards,
Piotr

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:15:03 -0400

>     keys:  70  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   

I haven't forgotten about this.

I just have no clue.

Your traces show button 4 getting passed to xev, but not button 5.

I can't reproduce it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:13:03 +0200

> > > If you have xev installed, you might try to use it to figure out
[snip]
> Your traces show button 4 getting passed to xev, but not button 5.

Hm, my mails from seem to be stuck again.  I already replied that
this issue is already fixed in 2.5.x.  I don't think I'll fix it
in 2.4.x since the diffs in that area are huge, near 100% of the
button handling code.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:18:35 +0200

> with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM, Multibyte, Xinerama

This is already fixed in 2.5.x.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].