Subject: FVWM: Changing style of maximized window?

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:28:49 +0200

Hi,

I want *maximized* windows to be without a title bar and only one flat frame 
around them, i.e. they should have the style

   Style * BorderWidth 16, HandleWidth 16
   Style * NoTitle
   Borderstyle -- Flat

Normal windows, however, should have a normal frame with a title bar, handle 
bars, etc.. 

How do I realize such a configuration?

BTW, because the FVWM man page is so long it is very cumbersome to find the 
information I want (e.g. when I want to know how "Exec" works I have to 
repeat searching many times). As a manual browser I tried Man and WoMan in 
EMACS but Man is not very comfortable and WoMan doesn't render some parts 
correcty. What manual browsers do you recommend (preferably in EMACS)?

Felix

-- 
To contact me personally don't reply but send email to 
  felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:31:04 +0200

No answers yet - Is it impossible?

Felix

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:09:58 +0000

> Normal windows, however, should have a normal frame with a title bar, handle 

You can't define a style for maximized windows only, but you may define
it for a group of windows with the same name/class. See for example this:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0303/msg00613.html

> How do I realize such a configuration?

You may maximize your windows to the full screen, see this message:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0303/msg00020.html

> correcty. What manual browsers do you recommend (preferably in EMACS)?

I suggest "man" from the command line (search using "/") and web pages.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:38:02 +0200

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 20:09, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> You may maximize your windows to the full screen

That's exactly not what I want. I have a deep black Thinkpad and when I open 
an application with a white background (e.g. EMACS) I find the stark 
contrast at the edges of the screen very disturbing. If it is not possible 
to achieve what I described above, I'll consider switching window managers 
again. Today, many of them are themeable and allow different styles for 
normal sized and maximized windows.

> , see this message:

Hm, can't this somehow be modified to do what I want? I tried it, but I was 
unsuccessful.

> I suggest "man" from the command line (search using "/") and web pages.

Well, I guess I'll stay with Man and WoMan in EMACS. They both allow 
comparably easy navigation among sections and WoMan can create a primitive 
table of contents. However, I'm missing a really good index.

Felix

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:48:59 +0200

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 22:38, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> Hm, can't this somehow be modified to do what I want? I tried it, but I
> was unsuccessful.

Stupid me - of course it seems to be possible. For example

    DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
    AddToFunc   FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
    + I ThisWindow (Maximized) Style $n Title, BorderWidth 4, HandleWidth 4
    + I CondCase (NoMatch) Style $n NoTitle, BorderWidth 16, HandleWidth 16
    + I CondCase (NoMatch) Raise
    + I CondCase (NoMatch) UpdateStyles
    + I Maximize

works. Now I just need to better understand the above commands and tune this 
to make it look nice. BTW, what is that "$n" variable, I couldn't find it 
in the man page?

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:05:26 +0000

> to make it look nice. BTW, what is that "$n" variable, I couldn't find it 

The 2.5.6 man page only mentions the new spelling $[w.name] and not $n.

The 2.4.16 man page (not released yet) mentions both.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:31:48 -0400

> to make it look nice. BTW, what is that "$n" variable, I couldn't find it 

I would have suggested $n but I think its not a general purpose solution.
If you have one emacs frame maximized and another not maximized, the above
will change both of them.

It may be good enough though.  I usually work with 2 xemacs frames, but
I change the second frames resource name ($r) with:

  (select-frame (make-frame '((name . "uniquename"))))

Anyway, I'm happy you found what you needed.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:38:41 +0200

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 00:31, Dan Espen wrote:
> >     + I ThisWindow (Maximized) Style $n Title, BorderWidth 4,
> > HandleWidth 4 + I CondCase (NoMatch) Style $n NoTitle, BorderWidth 16,
> > HandleWidth 16 + I CondCase (NoMatch) Raise
> > works. Now I just need to better understand the above commands and tune
> > this to make it look nice. BTW, what is that "$n" variable, I couldn't
> > find it in the man page?
>
> If you have one emacs frame maximized and another not maximized, the
> above will change both of them.

This is not nice. Are there any hopes for "MaximizedStyle" and 
"UnMaximizedStyle" commands? 

Another solution might be to allow the window id $[w.id] as a style name in 
the "Style" command. Would that be hard to implement?

>   (select-frame (make-frame '((name . "uniquename"))))

The problem is that EMACS was just an example. For other applications that I 
run in multiple instances (e.g. rxvt) this solution is, of course, not 
applicable.

Felix

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:18:04 -0400

> "UnMaximizedStyle" commands? 

Some day.

> the "Style" command. Would that be hard to implement?

We recently had a patch that applied styles by window id.
One problem is that if you close a window and then open a new one,
the new window might have the same windowid.

The style by windowid would have to be removed when the window closes.

> run in multiple instances (e.g. rxvt) this solution is, of course, not 

I start all my rxvt's with -name to make them unique on resource name.

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:47:27 +0200

> > "UnMaximizedStyle" commands?

That sounds like it's not very high in the priority list. Is this really so 
hard to implement. Many window managers (eg. KDE WM, Sawfish) allow 
different appearance of maximized and normal sized windows.

> > Another solution might be to allow the window id $[w.id] as a style
> > name in the "Style" command. Would that be hard to implement?
>

... and this isn't doable in a reliable fashion, I guess. Isn't it possible 
to tell X not to reuse window identifiers if possible? After all these 
numbers are very long and I doubt that I'll run out of identifiers during a 
typical X session (usually lasts one day).

> > The problem is that EMACS was just an example. For other applications
> > that I run in multiple instances (e.g. rxvt) this solution is, of
> > course, not applicable.
>

Well, rxvt was again just an example.

Felix

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:05:12 -0400

> different appearance of maximized and normal sized windows.

There are various plans described to  achieve this in the CVS sources.
Look at todo-3.0 and WindowStyle_proposal.txt.
Since I'm not planning to do the work right now, I'm not going to make
any commitments.  Thats why I said "some day".

The way anything gets high in the priority list is that someone
with coding skills decides they want it.

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:12:29 +0200

Hello Felix, 

>correcty. What manual browsers do you recommend (preferably in EMACS)?

I do not user emacs, but 'mc' while browsing the 'man' directories... 
If I find what I need I hit <F3> and have search functions with <F7>

The other thing is, that you can make a Menu-Point like

+ "Manpage: fvwm%32x32.help.xpm%"       Exec exec xterm -g 68x45-0-5 -fn \
        9x15 -fb 9x15bold -T "Manpage: fvwm2" -n "fvwm2" -e mcview \
       /usr/share/man/man1/fvwm2.1.gz

I like this

Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |
| FunkLAN-Providerin                                                       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+