Subject: FVWM: Java buttons lost

From: Mukesh Rathor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:40:54 -0700

I've this very annoying problem running JAVA gui on FVWM (2.4.15). The
buttons get lost/disapper in Java Windows. Resizing the window does not
resize the containers properly. This happens on FVWM on both AIX and
Linux. However, using another window manager, KDE/CDE the problem does not
happen. Any ideas, I like fvwm and would like to stay with it.

Thanks,
Mukesh

Mukesh Rathor (Software Engineer)
Veritas Software Inc.,       Mountain View,  CA  94043
Phone:  (650)527-4078        Email: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opinions, views, questions etc.. expressed above are mine, and not Veritas'.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Apr 2003 17:01:32 -0700

A bit of a coincidence, but I was just getting ready to post
a similar message.  I can add a bit of my info as well:

In my case I'm running a PC w/Linux.  I've tried numerous
versions of FVWM (2.4.15/2.5.6).  If I switch to GNOME
or KDE, things work fine.  I'm actually running my Java
applet on a remote machine with the display set to my
machine.  In my case, the problem seems to
be intermittent... about 70% of the time, things work, sometimes
they don't.  Seems like when I start the applet up, if things
work, they always work, but if it fails, my program's GUI
hangs, and I have to kill it.

In my case too, the problem seems to effect primarily windows
which have a title bar on them (with the exception of the primary
window)  If the new window that comes up has a title bar, things
are pretty much hung.  Non-titled dialog boxes seem to
get handled fine.

In addition, for the main window of this program, if I set it such
that on startup a portion of the window occurs offscreen, when I pull
the window onto my visible desktop, the program acts like it doesn't
see that section... even if I do a resize, this "missing area" always
ends up non-renderred.

Another weird thing I noticed... I can run the exact same program
on a MUCH slower machine with the same configuration (redhat 9 and
same .fvwm2rc file), and things always work. (or at least, I was
10 for 10, whereas in the other machine, I was 1 for 10)

The "slow" machine is an old 200Mhz Compaq, and "fast" machine is
I believe a 1.8Ghz Dell Laptop.

-=Jeff

-- 
Jeff Echtenkamp-Cho			Broadcom Corporation
Senior Design Engineer			16215 Alton Parkway
Broadband VLSI Physical Design Group	Irvine, CA 92618
					(949) 926-5136

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:25:49 +0200

> happen. Any ideas, I like fvwm and would like to stay with it.

I suggest you send a bug report to the Java folks.  Fvwm is not
responsible for the internal resizing of windows.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:43:26 +0200

> happen. Any ideas, I like fvwm and would like to stay with it.

Do you have in your fvwm config line(s) which looks like:

Style * NoPPosition

?

I've noted enormous redrawing problems with this style and java. I
suggest you remove such lines (if any) and add at the end of your
config file the line:

Style * UsePPosition, UseTransientPPosition

with 2.5.6 you may also add:

Style * FixedPPostion

Regards, Olivier