Subject: FVWM: Fvwm and Evolution

From: Marco Righele <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 18:15:57 +0200

Greeting to everybody,

I have a problem using Ximian Evolution 1.2.4 with Fvwm 2.4.15 (under
FreeBSD 4.8 )

Evolution sets its title as "Fvwm - Ximian Evolution 1.2.4" so the style
commands of the kind "Style Fvwm* ..." affect it beside fvwm modules.
The style commands I actually use are the following:

Style *         HilightFore black, HilightBack grey
Style *         BorderWidth 1, HandleWidth 2
Style *		NoIcon
Style *         MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, HintOverride
Style *         DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style *         FocusFollowsMouse
Style *         TileCascadePlacement
Style "Fvwm*"       NoTitle,  Sticky, WindowListSkip
Style "Fvwm*"       CirculateSkipIcon, CirculateSkip
Style "FvwmPager"   StaysOnTop, BorderWidth 0, HandleWidth 0
Style "FvwmBanner"  StaysOnTop

I added the line

Style "*Evolution*" Title, Slippery, WindowListHit, CirculateHitIcon , \
CirculateHit, StaysPut

To revert to the previous settings, but in fact it doesn't work
perfectly : the windows is still sticky (maybe Slippery isn't correct?),
and the title bar isn't drawn in the same way all the others are.

Anyway it wouldn't be the ideal solution, because every change to the
modules settings will require to update Evolution line (and they could
be also redundant so in fact I wouldn't have to revert them !).
Is there a way (beside explicity naming all the modules) I could exclude
Evolution from the Fvwm* pattern(or any other solution) ?

Thanks in advance,
Marco Righele

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marco Righele <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 18:38:54 +0200

To be more precise, I must say that this doesn't always happen, just
when the last folder I used in my mail client is the one of this mailing
list (called Fvwm) , so when opening the client the name the window
manager sees begins with Fvwm.
Well, thinking about it... maybe the best solution is just to rename the
folder to 'fvwm' :-D; anyway any reply will be appreciated (still have
to understand why evolution remains sticky)

Marco Righele

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:27:14 +0000

> perfectly : the windows is still sticky (maybe Slippery isn't correct?),

In 2.5.x if you don't know the opposite name, you may just use:

  Style "*Evolution*" !Sticky

> and the title bar isn't drawn in the same way all the others are.

I suppose you mean the difference is only stipples. If no, explain.

> Evolution from the Fvwm* pattern(or any other solution) ?

I think "Fvwm*" pattern is too vague. You may just list all 3-10 modules
that you use in separate lines. I myself use some modules that should be
Sticky and some that should be Slippery, some NoTitle and some Title,
some CirculateSkip and some CirculateHit and so on, so "Fvwm*" is not
really good for me. Maybe in the future the planned "Style (Class Fvwm*)"
will be implemented, so your window will not even match it.

As for your problem. If you issue RecaptureWindow on Evolution, does your
window is still sticky? If yes, your Style lines define it to be Sticky,
fix this by verifying the Style list again and using FvwmIdent. If after
Recapture the window is not Sticky anymore, this means that the initial
name of the window matches some pattern that is configured to be Sticky
and it is probably not "*Evolution*".

If you run 2.5.x I would think about a possibility that Evolution uses
EWMH sticky hint, but you run 2.4.15. It is possible hovewer that it sets
GNOME sticky hint. Try:

  Style "*Evolution*" GNOMEIgnoreHints  # EWMHIgnoreStateHints

But you say in your another message that it sometimes is not sticky,
so it probably this has nothing to do with hints.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Marco Righele <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 22:13:45 +0200

> I suppose you mean the difference is only stipples. If no, explain.
Instead of the plain flat bar I use, one with a pattern of horizontal
lines is being drawn (a built-in one maybe?).

> will be implemented, so your window will not even match it.
It looks like that restarting the window manager wasn't sufficient to
set correctly all the changes; exiting to the console and restarting X
resolved both the problems, title bar and sticky attribute. 
I think it's a bit strange, shouldn't be the same for Style settings ?
Anyway I think I'll follow you're suggestion.

> Mikhael.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Marco.