Subject: FVWM: Resizing with the keyboard

From: "Mario Domgörgen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Apr 2003 19:08:50 +0200

Hello list,

first thank you for the wonderful help the last days!

And the another horrible fvwm-newbie-question ... how to resize a window
with the keyboard in small steps. I think on "C-KP_End" for making it
larger to bottom and left and "S-KP_End" for making it smaller. I found
out how to adjust size in absolute manner but not how to it in small
steps?! I'm sure it stands in the man before my nose but i can't work it
out ... fvwm is a bit overwhelming but i hope it gets better after a
while (just like emacs... :)

Mario

-- 
You step in the stream,
but the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 00:39:18 +0000

On 04 Apr 2003 19:08:50 +0200, Mario Domg?rgen wrote:
> steps?!

The best I can think of is:

  Key Home A CM Pick PipeRead `echo Resize $(($[cw.width]-1))p $(($[cw.height]-1))p`
  Key End  A CM Pick PipeRead `echo Resize $(($[cw.width]+1))p $(($[cw.height]+1))p`

Works ok for normal applications, but not for xterm or others that define
resize step other than 1. I.e. Ctrl-Alt-Home works, but not Ctrl-Alt-End.
And this only works in 2.5.x, since in 2.4 there are only $[w.width]
variables and Resize has no "frame" parameter.

If you really want to fix this, you may use
`PipeRead ... xwininfo -id $w -size ...` and parse the geometry in client
units, but this is not effective. I would write a simple module in perl.

Probably we need more expanding variables to handle this situation,
like $[w.unitwidth]. Or make Resize handle "keep+1c" syntax.

Of course, you may create separate key bindings for xterm that increment
in +-7 +-13 or similar. See also ResizeMove command.

Regards,
Mikhael.