Subject: FVWM: Centering swallowed apps? || What clock, volume control?

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:07:13 +0200

Hi,

I want to add a volume control and a clock to an FvwmButtons panel. 
Currently, I'm using wmmixer and wmclock (those are dockable applets for 
Window Maker). However, they are not centered in the corresponding buttons. 
I already tried specifying "-geometry" but that isn't accepted by these 
applets. Therefore my question: Is it possible to center a swallowed app in 
an FvwmButtons button?

In addition, I have another question: I'm not sure whether these Window 
Maker applets are all that resource friendly (they each depend on several 
shared libraries that otherwise might not be needed). What swallowable apps 
do you recommend to use as a volume control and clock?

BTW, xclock doesn't cut it since it doesn't seem to be possible to specify 
the date below the time (linebreaks in the format string (%n) don't seem to 
be interpreted by xclock).

Felix

-- 
To contact me in private don't reply but send email to 
  felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 01:18:48 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>, wrote Felix
E. Klee thusly...
>
> Currently, I'm using wmmixer and wmclock (those are dockable
> applets for Window Maker).

Me too (only the mixer)...

> However, they are not centered in the corresponding buttons.
> I already tried specifying "-geometry" but that isn't accepted by
> these applets.

Yeah, that way wm* things are hard to work with.

> Therefore my question: Is it possible to center a swallowed app in
> an FvwmButtons button?

I don't know about -Buttons (any option that would specify a button
to be centered), but here wmmixer seems to be centered.

> What swallowable apps do you recommend to use as a volume
> control and clock?

I like wmmixer very much; i tried some others but not any one of
them were any more impressive -- in terms of small binary size
& dependencies, and ease of placement -- than wmmixer itself.

> BTW, xclock doesn't cut it since it doesn't seem to be possible to
> specify the date below the time (linebreaks in the format string
> (%n) don't seem to be interpreted by xclock).

I like analog clocks & watches w/ decent contrast.  Rclock is what
i have (not in -Buttons, on its own); i use its title at the bottom
for date.  Perhaps some digital display clock would be able to
easily display both date & time in the compressed space.

You can see the rclock in the screenshot on lower left...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/graphic.comp/shot-fvwm-2.5.4.png
  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/graphic.comp/shot-fvwm-2.5.4-annotated.png

  (Those are old pictures; currently i do have wmmixer centered
  inside -Buttons.)

  - parv

--

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:26:16 +0200

> & dependencies, and ease of placement -- than wmmixer itself.

OK, that's what I wanted to hear. It's a nice applet indeed.

> easily display both date & time in the compressed space.

I use "watch date" in an rxvt now:

    *FvwmButtons: (1x1+11 Swallow(UseOld,NoHints) "Clock Applet" `Exec exec
     rxvt -bg grey35 -fg black -cr grey35 +sb -geometry 8x4 -T "Clock
     Applet" -e watch --no-title -n 1 'date +"%T%n%e. %b.  %Y"'`)

This way, of course, I can only use a digital display. But I prefer that 
anyways.

Felix

---

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:26:31 +0200

On Saturday 19 April 2003 22:07, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> Therefore my question: Is it possible to center a
> swallowed app in an FvwmButtons button?

Stupid me - padding is the way to go. At least when the applets are smaller 
than the buttons then this works fine.

Felix

-- 
To contact me personally don't reply but send email to

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:59:51 +0000

On 19 Apr 2003 22:07:13 +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> Currently, I'm using wmmixer and wmclock (those are dockable applets
> for Window Maker). However, they are not centered in the corresponding
> buttons.  I already tried specifying "-geometry" but that isn't
> accepted by these applets. Therefore my question: Is it possible to
> center a swallowed app in an FvwmButtons button?

If your button is larger than a swallowed application and that swallowed
application does not want to be resized (does not implement resizing),
you may still force it to be centered by adjusting a padding:

  *FvwmButtons-Compact: (4x4, Swallow wmxmms 'Exec wmxmms', Padding 10)

> do you recommend to use as a volume control and clock?

Try the corresponding FvwmScript based applets that are included in
fvwm-themes, you may even edit them to suit your needs if you like.
They are called FvwmApplet-{Day,DigitalClock,DayClock,Mixer}.

> be interpreted by xclock).

You may swallow 2 xclocks to solve this:

  xclock -name xclock1 -digital -update 60 -strftime '%d/%b/%Y'
  xclock -name xclock2 -digital -update 1 -strftime '%T'

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:08:03 +0930

> do you recommend to use as a volume control and clock?

I like/use xtmix available at
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~mdenn/xtmix/xtmix_en.html
It's small and lean, and has a simple dockable volume control, right
click on it for the full mixer.

You could also try xdaliclock for a nice dockable clock.

BTW fvwm ships with nice FvwmScript's for both mixer AND clocks and a
whole lot more besides.

Do "fvwm-config --info | grep Data" for the location of the default
config files on your system.

To run these applets open an FvwmConsole and type...

Module FvwmScript <script-name>

HTH

Alex

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:14:36 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Felix E. Klee thusly...
>      Applet" -e watch --no-title -n 1 'date +"%T%n%e. %b.  %Y"'`)

An interesting solution to the problem indeed!

  - parv

--