Subject: FVWM: title bar position

From: "Marc Dirix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:53:58 +0200

Hello,

Since I'm new to this list, forgive if my searching thru the archive hasn't
resulted in the correct hit.

But I was wondering, if there is an option to fvwm to get the title bar from
the top to the
right of the screen.

Reason for this is, while monitors are getting bigger, most of the growed is
in the horizontal area,
so in practice, you gain more, by placing the title bar vertical instead of
horizontal.

Is this possible with fvwm?
If so, how should I do this,
if not, is it possible a feature add-on?

Thanks,

IzNoGood
Netherlands.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2003 18:26:55 -0400

> if not, is it possible a feature add-on?

From the man page (around line 4387):

       Window title
              The Title and NoTitle options determine if the window has
              a title‐bar or not.  By default all windows have a title‐
              bar.

              Windows    with   the   TitleAtBottom,   TitleAtLeft   or
              TitleAtRight style have a title‐bar below, to the left or
              to  the  right  of  the window instead of above as usual.
              The TitleAtTop  style  restores  the  default  placement.

Although I only half buy your theory that most of the growth is
horizontal--most video modes have an aspect ratio of 4:3 (4y = 3x):
	640x480 -> 640 * (3/4) = 480
	800x600 -> 800 * (3/4) = 600
	etc.

There are, of course, exceptions--1280x1024 is 5:4 (actually having a
larger vertical size), and WUXGA (those fancy wide-screen LCDs) is
1920x1200 (8:5)--it'd be good to use title bars on the side here, since
there really is a lot more space horizontally...

I don't think I would personally, though--the rotated text looks weird
to me. :)

-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:48:39 +0000

On 19 Apr 2003 23:53:58 +0200, Marc Dirix wrote:
> 
> I was wondering, if there is an option to fvwm to get the title bar
> from the top to the right of the screen.

Yes, it is possible in 2.5.x version:

  Style * TitleAtRight

You may also want (probably not) to use:

  Style * RightTitleRotatedCCW    # CCW = counter-clock-wise, default: CW
  Style * !UseTitleDecorRotation  # don't rotate titlebar pixmaps/gradients

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Marc Dirix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:33:34 +0200

Thanks!

IzNoGood

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Mikhael Goikhman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Verzonden: zondag 20 april 2003 0:49
Aan: Marc Dirix
CC: FVWM
Onderwerp: Re: FVWM: title bar position

  Style * TitleAtRight

Regards,
Mikhael.