Subject: FVWM: Problem with Language settings (fvwm 2.4 exits)

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:04:47 +0200

Hello, 

I have some Multiuser-Systems and running fvwm only without 
GNOME or KDE. System default is 'C'

Now I have User-Settings like

export LC_MESSAGES=de_DE@euro
export LANGUAGE=de_DE@euro
export LANG=de_DE@euro

But I can not use the 'LANG' because fvwm exits every time 
without any error messages. 

        WHY ??? 

This Error occur with ALL possibel settings like tr_TR, 
ar_SY, fs_IR ar_MA and fr_FR@euro...

Thank you for your Help
Michelle

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 19:20:30 -0400

> ar_SY, fs_IR ar_MA and fr_FR@euro...

How are you starting fvwm?  If you are starting fvwm from .xsession,
check ~/.xsession-errors to see if there is any output from fvwm.  If
you're using ~/.xinitrc, check the terminal where you started X.  You
might also check to see if fvwm crashed and left a core file.

My LANG is en_US.UTF-8, and I haven't had any trouble starting fvwm 2.4
or 2.5, although the Debian package of fvwm 2.4 gave me some font issues
(probably because of my UTF-8 locale.)

-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Michelle Konzack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:31:57 +0200

Hello Ben, 

>> GNOME or KDE. System default is 'C'

<blah>

>How are you starting fvwm?  If you are starting fvwm from .xsession,

from .xsession

>check ~/.xsession-errors to see if there is any output from fvwm.  If

NO , ther is nothing !!!

>might also check to see if fvwm crashed and left a core file.
 negative...

>(probably because of my UTF-8 locale.)

I have solved the problem !!!

fvwm workst only with iso-8859-1  ;-))

So all users which use 'C' as there 'locales' will have no problems... 

Zo get the thing running I had to install the following Debian-Packages: 

xfonts-base-transcoded 
xfonts-100dpi-transcoded 
xfonts-75dpi-transcoded 

Now it starts, but I have not TaskBar and no ButtonPanel... 
Why ??? 

Because I have a choosen a font which is not supported by the 
xfonts-X-transcoded. Now all is working fine.

Thanks
Michelle

-- 
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |
| FunkLAN-Providerin                                                       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+