Subject: FVWM: fvwm/fvwm-themes error messages

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 12:39:46 +0200

Hi,

this is fvwm 2.5.5 with fvwm-themes 0.6.2 on SunOS 5.8.

I'm having a heard time getting fvwm-themes to run properly.
Here are 2 problems that are reported in session error log file:

1. during startup lots of message like:
[FVWM][ReadDecorFace]: <<ERROR>> couldn't load pixmap 16x16/empty.xpm

fvwm-config --info says "xpm: no" so maybe this is to be expected

2. and (constantly growing) the follwing 2 error messages:

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 8, EventType: 19

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 8, EventType: 0

about 3500 errors in 20 minutes. Unfortunately I have no idea how to trace
it down to the culprit.

Also when I try to select a menu entry from the root menue, sometimes
my whole session stalls (3 times today while I was playing with all
these themes) and I have to kill the session.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
Love cannot be much younger than the lust for murder. -- Sigmund Freud
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:04:26 +0000

> fvwm-config --info says "xpm: no" so maybe this is to be expected

Is this correct for you installation, no xpm

It is not very useful to use fvwm-themes without XPM support.

Can you compile fvwm with XPM support? FAQ or INSTALL.fvwm may help.
Moreover, in the future PNG support will be required too for some themes.

> these themes) and I have to kill the session.

If I am correct, the error means "BadDrawable, PolyRectangle".
It may or may not be related to the fact you didn't compile with XPM.
You should not normally get "internal error", but it happens.

You may try running fvwm-2.4.15 and fvwm-themes-0.6.2, but probably you
will get problems without XPM support too.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 12:13:05 +0200

>>>>> "Mikhael" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael> Is this correct for you installation, no xpm
    Mikhael> It is not very useful to use fvwm-themes without XPM support.
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael> Can you compile fvwm with XPM support? FAQ or INSTALL.fvwm may
    Mikhael> help.  Moreover, in the future PNG support will be required too
    Mikhael> for some themes.

Our libraries aren't installed in the usual place and now that I've added
--with-xpm-includes and --with-png-includes switches to configure I have a
fvwm with xpm and png. Now I'll start again playing with fvwm-themes.
Thanks for the hint.

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
Committees have become so important nowadays that
subcommittees have to be appointed to do the work.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].