Subject: FVWM: Mwm hints

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:38:33 -0600

Running 2.4.7 on Solaris.

The handling of "MWM_FUNC_CLOSE", in the case where it is turned off,
differs among (non-mwm) window managers.  Some remove (or dim) the "Close"
button in the titlebar (if one is defined), as if compensating for the fact
that there is no such thing as "MWM_DECOR_CLOSE" that would permit the Motif
GUI developer to hide it programmatically.

Our configuration is set up to maximally support Motif apps; i.e.,

Emulate Mwm
Style * MwmFunctions
Style * MwmDecor
Style * NoOverride

The 2.4.7 release appears to make a strict distinction between function and
decoration hints.  An application that has MWM_FUNC_CLOSE disabled will have
a visible "Close" button that simply beeps when clicked.  If a Motif GUI
developer wishes to hide the "Close" button, he must also add a "Style
<class> NoButton <n>" to the configuration.  

My question is this:  Does the latest stable release handle MWM_FUNC_CLOSE
differently, perhaps obviating the need for the "NoButton"?  (I see that
some Mwm hints work was done for 2.4.9.)

Regards,
Gregg Dameron

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].