Subject: FVWM: Learning more about button styles

From: Norman Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:27:12 -0500

I was inspired recently to try to make my desktop a little more attractive.
To that end, I've been fiddling with button styles.

I have close bound to button 2 and maximize to button 4:

ButtonStyle 2 ActiveUp   (Pixmap close_activeup.xpm) \
              ActiveDown (Pixmap close_activedown.xpm) \
              Inactive   (Pixmap close_inactive.xpm)

ButtonStyle 4 ActiveUp   (Pixmap maximize_activeup.xpm) \
              ActiveDown (Pixmap maximize_activedown.xpm) \
              Inactive   (Pixmap maximize_inactive.xpm) \
              ToggledActiveUp (Pixmap restore_activeup.xpm)

I expected the "restore" pixmap to be used on the maximized window and
the normal buttons on the "normal" window.

But what actually happens when I maximize a window is that I get the
same button 4 that I get in the normal window and button 2 becomes one
of the default square buttons, not my pixmap.

This is under 2.5.6 that I built yesterday.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- -- 
Norman Walsh <[email-masked]> | During the first period of a man's life
http://nwalsh.com/            | the greatest danger is: .--Kierkegaard
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:13:32 +0100

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:27:12PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 

You nee to add

  ButtonStyle 4 - MWMDecorMax

Fvwm needs to know which window state it should watch on a
specific button.  The order in which commands are issued may be
important too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 23:36:19 +0000

On 09 Mar 2003 17:27:12 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> same button 4 that I get in the normal window

You need to reconfigure "maximize" from button 2 (default) to 4:

  ButtonStyle 2 -
  Style "*" MWMButtons

> and button 2 becomes one

>From this I assume you already have Style "*" MWMButtons needed to use
Toggled states.

> This is under 2.5.6 that I built yesterday.

Another way to solve your button 2 problem (the default square when
maximized) is to use AllActiveUp, AllActiveDown and AllInactive states
instead of the configuration above, or to explicitely add Toggled states.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Norman Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:35:32 -0500

Thanks to everyone who replied. It now works the way I had in mind.

Also related to title bars, I've seen some FVWM themes that use
additional graphics in the titlebar to get different kinds of effects.
For example, with appropriate left- and right-side graphics (and maybe
others) it's clearly possible to make the window title appear in a
"colored bubble" with rounded edges in a titlebar of a different
color. The themes code is complex enough that I couldn't easily
determine how this was being accomplished, nor could I deduce it from
the fvwm2 man page. Can someone provide a simple example, please?

Only peripherally related, who or what decides how big "maximized" is?
Is that an application function, a window manager function, or
something else? Maximize on my machine seems to translate to "make a
little bigger and move the titlebar to the top of the screen". I'd be
just as happy if it translated to, "fill the whole screen".

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- -- 
Norman Walsh <[email-masked]> | As we grow older we grow both more
http://nwalsh.com/            | foolish and wiser at the same time.--La
                              | Rochefoucauld
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].