Subject: FVWM: files on desktop

From: "Jules Alberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:03:54 +0100

Hello everyone,

I went from gnome + sawfish to fvwm some time ago. I love the speed, 
versatility and the fact that I can set everything in just a few files 
(.Xinitrc, .xdefaults and .fvwm2rc).

There is one thing I miss though: files on the desktop. In gnome when 
you use gmc or nautilus there is a directory called ~/.gnome-desktop 
(or something like that). Everyting in it is displayed on the desktop, 
which is IMO very convenient. I used to put softlinks to program 
sources and other stuff I'm working there.

Is there a way to do this in fvwm without going back to the bloat & 
bugs of nautilus or gmc? I'm running 2.4.14 on a redhat 7.3 box.

TIA for any suggestions.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:41:26 +0100

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:03:54AM +0100, Jules Alberts wrote:
> bugs of nautilus or gmc?

No, such features are not in the scope of a window manager.

> I'm running 2.4.14 on a redhat 7.3 box.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:02:08 +0100

> No, such features are not in the scope of a window manager.

Perhaps you could use the ROX-System (not everything from it, just some 
parts/modules) for this? I am not using it, but I have heared that it is 
very small, fast, nice and window manager independent! And it offers 
this functionality AFAIK.

http://rox.sourceforge.net/

Gert

---

From: "Jules Alberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:27:46 +0100

> http://rox.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Gert, I've set it up. Looks nice, allthough I will have to get 
used to the interface.