Subject: Re: FVWM: Module focus delay

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:41:53 +0100

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:18:53AM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Hi there, just downloaded 'snap-20030228' and I'm noticing extra
> slight delays in focus specifically on FvwmWinList and FvwmPager.
> Seems like the window first gets focus and then the modules get
> its indication (its like a 2-step process and the delay is rather
> noticeable - wasn't there before).
> 
> Not sure what to send in terms of debug or how to go about things,
> but I thought I'd mention it.
> 
> Maybe this will help -- have FvwmWinList running, start an xterm
> and maximize it on a particular desk/page then enter that xterm.
> Now switch page and/or desk and notice how WinList gets refreshed
> (notice the delay ?).  Everything gets displayed, then its WinList's
> turn (again, its delayed and its rather noticeable).

Nope, I don't see any delays.  Could it be something on your
machine that degrades X server or module to fvwm communication?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nadim Shaikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:48:29 -0800 (PST)

> machine that degrades X server or module to fvwm communication?

Dominik, nothing on my system has changed with the exception of
the fvwm version - but do please let me know what I can do to
convey forth the necessary info that you might require (debug
code, printfs, etc).

PS: please CC replies.

Regards,

 - Nadim

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more
http://taxes.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:03:30 +0100

> convey forth the necessary info that you might require (debug

Sorry, I do not have the slightest idea where to start looking.
If I could see it myself I would find a way.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:28:05 +0100

> convey forth the necessary info that you might require (debug

I have just discovered and removed a debug statement in the
FvwmWinList code that might have caused the problem by slowing the
module down in general.  It's probably not what causes the delay
you see - and it doesn't explain the FvwmPager problem either.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Nadim Shaikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:08:04 -0800 (PST)

--- dominik.vogt wrote:
[snip]
> you see - and it doesn't explain the FvwmPager problem either.

I just downloaded snap-20030314 and its much improved -- thanks.

One thing to note though which recently changed.  I have the following
in my .fvwm2rc (why is there still a 2 in that filename still ?),

  Mouse 0         2       A       Resize

but what happens now, the resize only happens once I release the press
(unclick, whatever you want to call it); previously, as soon as I click
on that button on the title bar, the resize would take affect and I see
my rubberbands until such time as I release the press for it to take
affect.

Regards,

 - Nadim

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Web Hosting - establish your business online
http://webhosting.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:24:29 +0100

> my rubberbands until such time as I release the press for it to take

Yes, I know this.  There is a choice to be made:

 1) Fix binding funtions without a context and break configs like
    the one above.  You can still have the old behaviour with

      AddToFunc my_resize
      + I resize
      mouse 0 2 a my_resize

 2) Keep the old functionality unchanged and leave the following
    kind of binding broken:

      mouse 1 r n resize

Number too is clearly the better choice when talking about a clean
design (all commands work the same), but it breaks some old
configurations.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^