Subject: Re: FVWM: Adding to the FvwmTaskBar

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:26:50 +0100

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> The advice is to use FvwmButtons for this. Have menu or launch buttons,
> swallow FvwmIconMan and any applet like your app inside FvwmButtons.

Do I understand you right?

I should build my own taskbar by using FvwmButtons that swallows all 
things I want (in my case a FvwmPager)? Can FvwmIconMan be configured 
that it behaves the same way as FvwmTaskBar (with onmouse-over-bubbles, 
etc.)?

Thanks,

Gert

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 00:42:49 +0000

On 01 Mar 2003 22:26:50 +0100, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
> things I want (in my case a FvwmPager)?

Yes, developers prefer not to have a duplicating functionality. Ideally
there should be 2 very configurable modules, one for the dynamical list of
windows (let's call it FvwmIconMan for now) and one for the button layout
(let's call it FvwmButtons). FvwmPager is something different, but if you
prefer it to the list of windows - you may swallow it too.

> Can FvwmIconMan be configured that it behaves the same way as
> FvwmTaskBar (with onmouse-over-bubbles, etc.)?

Balloons are not available in FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan, but you wanted
to add some code to FvwmTaskBar, am I right? So I suggest, instead, to
work on missing features of FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan. I would think
adding balloons is easier than adding such features like button layout
and swallowing (that are already available in FvwmButtons).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:49:00 +0100

> windows (let's call it FvwmIconMan for now) and one for the button layout

Why not swalling FvwmTaskBar into FvwmButtons? Where is the advantage of 
FvwmIconMan?

> to add some code to FvwmTaskBar, am I right? So I suggest, instead, to

No, it was not me, but Jon who is thinking about adding features.

Thanks,

Gert

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 02:53:54 +0000

On 04 Mar 2003 11:49:00 +0100, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
> Why not swalling FvwmTaskBar into FvwmButtons?

FvwmTaskBar wants to get the full width, it does not want to be swallowed.

> Where is the advantage of FvwmIconMan?

It can be swallowed. You may compare the man pages for the feature lists.
Theoretically FvwmIconMan would be better in the constructor approach,
with some work you can achieve what you want (including swallowing).
Practically it is not very easy, but possible.

Regards,
Mikhael.