Subject: FVWM: no borders for inactive windows

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:42:20 +0200

Hello list

My problem today is, that I want no borders for the inactive windows to
save more space on my desktop.

BorderStyle inActive -- BorderWidth 0
or
BorderStyle inActive -- HandleWidth 0

did not work.

This time I looked in the manpage and played a bit around before asking
here, but with no sucess :-)

Regards
	Klaus

-- 
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
	  Let's see just how ugly they think it is when they have a few
	  bulletholes in them.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:15:14 +0000

> save more space on my desktop.

I think windows without any border look ugly, but it is up to you.

> here, but with no sucess :-)

There is no good way to do it currently. You can only define a border
width for all window states (active and inactive), and the syntax here
is, of course, using Style not BorderStyle.

Here is a trick that does not work relably, but it may kind of work if
you only have windows with different names:

  Style * HandleWidth 0
  FvwmAuto 0 "Style $n HandleWidth 5" "Style $n HandleWidth 0"
  #KillModule FvwmAuto

This is a case where individual window styles would help.

There is also a problem with some client window contents like xterm when
you dynamically change border width, at least in 2.5.x.

Another trick to try is to use new 2.5.6+ feature "BorderStyle Colorset"
and to define transparent borders, this way the border width is not
changed, but you at least may see the root background (but not overlapped
windows).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:01:37 +0200

> I think windows without any border look ugly, but it is up to you.
I don't think it's ugly, you can look at a screenshot:
http://doppelhertz.homelinux.org/screenshot.jpg
Unfortunately you cannot see my transparent, colored and animated
mousecursor (xfree4.3) :-)

>   FvwmAuto 0 "Style $n HandleWidth 5" "Style $n HandleWidth 0"

No, if there is just a workaround and if not all aplications work fine
with it, I don't want it. It's not that important to me. ;)

> changed, but you at least may see the root background (but not overlapped

Yes, that's how I had solved it before writing the mail. And I'll leave
it like that.

Regards
	Klaus

---

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:30:34 +0200

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:41:00PM +0200, martin sepulveda wrote:
> for many years i've used (and still use) borderless windows only.

well, borders for active windows are usefull to resize them manualy (if
usefull - normaly fvwm does that for me)

> some (terminals and such -- rxvt or dzt) have a titlebar, while

what is dzt?

> things like procmeter3 (several remote) and the like get moved around
> from the WindowOps menu.
> uglyness is in the eye of the beholder, and usability is on the hand
> of the user... and i hate getting a 3200x1200 display (xinerama) just

I don't like xinerama, because switching the pages switches them on all
screens, which I don't like. Dualhead is much cooler, I even can use
different windowmanagers if I want to. I don't need to move windows from
one screen to the other.

> to waste it on borders i don't need or like.
> 
> m.
> 
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:01:37 +0200
> Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> <...>

---

From: martin sepulveda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:43:58 +0200

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:30:34 +0200

> usefull - normaly fvwm does that for me)

i have this three buttons on my titlebars

Mouse 0         2       A       Function "window_ops_func"
Mouse 0         4       A       Resize
Mouse 0         6       A       Iconify

but from time to time i remove them and get window_ops_func from 
right-clicking on the titlebar, so i can resize windows without
using handles or borders at all.

and pretty used to middle-clicking on the background and using the 
window ops menu to raise or resize windows anyway.

> > some (terminals and such -- rxvt or dzt) have a titlebar, while

a tabed gtk terminal emulator. i administer clusters of application 
servers and oracle servers, and i need to log in on 15+ machines, but
the sight of 15 rxvt side to side get me nervous... two dzt windows
get me going nicely.
 
> different windowmanagers if I want to. I don't need to move windows from

i used dual heads before, but a combination of sticky windows and fvwmmodules
with xinerama is what i prefer now. and from time to time i stretch a
window across the screens, specially big database diagrams and such.

m.

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:58:24 +1000

On 00:30 31 Mar 2003, Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]> wrote:
| On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:41:00PM +0200, martin sepulveda wrote:
| > for many years i've used (and still use) borderless windows only.
| 
| well, borders for active windows are usefull to resize them manualy (if
| usefull - normaly fvwm does that for me)

Personally I find aiming at borders very tedious. I have alt-mouse-1 bound
to Resize in the Window context, and no borders at all. Aiming is _much_
easier (indeed, with focus-follows-mouse much of the time I don't need
to aim at all because the mouse is already there because I'm thinking
about that window already).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [email-masked]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

The problem with elections is that the government always wins.
	- Chris Rudram <[email-masked]>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].