Subject: FVWM: Setting focus policy on individual windows question

From: Andrew Koschier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:14:42 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

The man page says :
    "Focus policy can be specified for individual windows."

Does this mean I can set the focus policy for a specific window (Ie. having
unique Window ID) dynamically ?
Is so then could someone tell me how please ?

At first I thought I could use the Style command but it only applies to groups
of windows according to name, class, or resource string (according to the
manual) 

Thanks in advance.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:23:46 +0000

> Is so then could someone tell me how please ?

No, this is not possible currently.
The man page means "for individual windows matching a pattern".

> of windows according to name, class, or resource string (according to the

Usually you do want to define the same focus policy (or other style
attributes) for windows with the same name/class. If this is your case
you may dynamically do:

  Pick Style $[w.resource] ...

You may use Current or ThisWindow instead of Pick depending on the needs.
No quotes should be used here, it is auto-single-quoted-and-escaped.
In older versions it is $n and $r, not $[w.name] and $[w.resource].

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:31:08 -0500

> In older versions it is $n and $r, not $[w.name] and $[w.resource].

This still wouldn't work if the window doesn't have a unique
resource name.

The recently submitted patch to use window id as a style matcher would
fix this though.  Not that I'm advocating applying the patch, yet.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]