Subject: FVWM: 2.4.x FvwmIconaMan and NoIcon

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:10:19 +0100

Hello.

This has changed between 2.4.8 and 2.4.14.

When using 'Style * NoIcon' (or NoIconTitle) iconified windows
no longer show up in FvwmIconMan.

I have tried with 'IconBox none', 'Icon' and also read the
archives of this list since 2.4.8 was released and found no
solution.

What is the magic config to show my iconified windows in
FvwmIconMan but not pollute my Desktop?

--- fvwm2rc.m4 ---
[..]
Style "*"       StickyIcon, NoIcon, MiniIcon mini.x.xpm
[..]
*FvwmIconMan*Action Mouse 1     N SendCommand "Iconify Off", SendCommand Focus, SendComman
*FvwmIconMan*PlainButton        Flat
*FvwmIconMan*DrawIcons          True
*FvwmIconMan*FollowFocus        False
*FvwmIconMan*Format             "%t"
*FvwmIconMan*SelectButton       Up
*FvwmIconMan*Sort               Name
[..]
--- fvwm2rc.m4 ---

Full config
http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2rc.m4
Source diff for FvwmIconMan between 2.4.8 and 2.4.14
http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2-diff

Jan J

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:35:33 +0100

>no longer show up in FvwmIconMan.

For the archives.

The important part that changed is the default of '*FvwmIconMan:
resolution'. It used to be 'global' but is now 'page'.

Iconified windows with "NoIcon" defined does not stay on the
current page and as such does no show in the icon manager.

Setting '*FvwmIconMan: resolution' to 'global' or 'desk' make the
iconified windows show again.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:19:04 +0100

> iconified windows show again.

I will check this later.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:04:00 +0100

> iconified windows show again.

Sorry, I can not confirm this.  The default resolution is 'page'
at least since 2.4.0 was released, and probably since 2.2.0 too
(I did not check this).  Something else must have changed in your
setup.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:25:41 +0100

>(I did not check this).  Something else must have changed in your

First, I am a happy camper. The change whatever made me find the
Resolution setting and it solved another annoyance. But if you
think this is a bug I will do my best to help you find it.

My diff[1] indicated that the Resolution default had changed. Now
I see that if was a manpage update and not an actual change.

For thease tests I have two windows. One xconsole that is
iconified and a xterm.

With 2.4.8 the Resolution setting makes no difference.
FvwmIconMan always shows. (X is a minicon).
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

With 2.4.14 I get this result.

Undefined Resolution.
[  xterm   ]

Resolution: Global
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Resolution: Desk
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Resolution: Page
[  xterm   ]

Resolution: Screen
[  xterm   ]

Full fvwm2rc.m4 is available at [2].

[1] http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2-diff
[2] http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2rc.m4

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:19:13 +0100

> I see that if was a manpage update and not an actual change.

Yes, the man page stated the wrong default for ages.

> With 2.4.14 I get this result.

I tried this with 2.4.8, and it used "page" resolution by default.
Then I tried 2.4.0, and it did the same.  And latest CVS code too.

> [2] http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2rc.m4

I will try that again later.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:43:40 +0100

> [2] http://www.isk.kth.se/~janj/fvwm2rc.m4

Nope, your config does not help either.  There is nothing
indicating such a change in the diffs, and regardless whether I
use 2.4.0, 2.4.8, 2.4.16 or cvs, the default is and was always
page resolution.  The problem must come from your specific system.
Thins to check:

 - Is the right config file executed?
 - Is the right fvwm executable used?
 - Are the modules the ones that were compiled with the fvwm core?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:28:52 +0100

>page resolution.  The problem must come from your specific system.

We must have a language barrier here. :-)

The default has not changed, I missread the diff and only the
manpage has changed.

The problem I have identified is that Iconified windows does not
show up in some FvwmIconMan: Resolution. This might be a bug, it
might NOT.

This is the results I see.

In 2.4.8 it does not mather which resolution I set. FvwmIconMan
always shows both windows. (xterm is normal, xconsole is
iconified).
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

In 2.4.14 setting resoltution to Global or Desk I get this
result (both windows show).
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

But setting resolution to Page or Screen gives this result (the
xconsole is no longer shown).
[  xterm   ]

Removing the "Style '*' NoIcon" makes the xconsole show in Page
and Screen too.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:18:09 +0100

>  - Are the modules the ones that were compiled with the fvwm core?

Ah, finally I understand your problem.  I think the position of
the 'icon' had random values without an icon on the desktop.
Should be fixed now.  Please check whether this happened with
2.5.6 too and whether it's gone in the latest CVS code.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:23:49 +0100

I do not have the problem in 2.5.6, I have not tried current/CVS.

However there seems to be another problem. This is not analyzed
and I have moved back to 2.4.14.

When setting 'Resolution Page' or 'Resolution Screen' the
FvwmIconMan was not updated until switch number to.

Same setup as before one xterm and one iconified xconsole.

[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to virtual desktop number X.

[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to virtual desktop number Y.

[X xconsole]

Switch back to starting position.

[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

According to _ME_ the correct sequence should be.

[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to virtual desktop number X.

[X xconsole]

Switch to virtual desktop number Y.

[X xconsole]

Switch back to starting position.

[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:22:10 +0100

> Switch back to starting position.

That is probably the same problem.  I am going to release 2.4.16
soon.  Please verify if both problems are gone then.  Or if you
want to be really helpful, check out the 2.4 branch from CVS.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:08:49 +0100

>want to be really helpful, check out the 2.4 branch from CVS.

The problem with FvwmIconMan not beeing updated was in 2.5.6 (if
I was unclear on that).

I did a CVS checkout (with -r branch_2_4). I had no acheaders so
I guessed and used autoheaders.

The fvwm I got presents itself as 2.4.16.

Setting Resolution to Page and Screen still hides the Iconified
windows.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:31:19 +0100

> The problem with FvwmIconMan not beeing updated was in 2.5.6 (if

That does not matter.  The bug I fixed was in 2.4.x and 2.5.x.

> I guessed and used autoheaders.

The build instructions are in docs/DEVELOPERS:

  $ aclocal && autoheader && automake -a && autoreconf
  $ ./configure
  $ make

> The fvwm I got presents itself as 2.4.16.

That's the name of the next version that will be released.  In the
2.5.x branch the code from cvs is marked as such, but not in
2.4.x.

> Setting Resolution to Page and Screen still hides the Iconified

Hrm, so go back to the start, no not collect $400.  Please apply
this patch to modules/FvwmIconMan/fvwm.c,

--------------- snip ----------------------
--- fvwm.c.orig Sun Mar 16 01:29:08 2003
+++ fvwm.c      Sun Mar 16 01:29:20 2003
@@ -454,6 +454,7 @@
   win->icon_g.y = body->icon_data.ypos;
   win->icon_g.width = body->icon_data.icon_width;
   win->icon_g.height = body->icon_data.icon_height;
+fprintf(stderr,"FIM: icon geometry: %d %d %dx%d\n", win->icon_g.x, win->icon_g.y, win->icon_g.width, win->icon_g.height);
   check_in_window (win);
 }
 
--------------- snip ----------------------

and send me the output it generates when you initially iconify
the window.  I also need to know the size of your screen.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:13:07 +0100

>  $ aclocal && autoheader && automake -a && autoreconf

Oki, I used the instructions on the webpage.

>this patch to modules/FvwmIconMan/fvwm.c,

I first did this with Resolution: Desk, changing to Resoltion:
Page made no difference.

When I login the xconsole gets iconified by auto.
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0

I then iconified and brought back the xterm
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0

I then turned on the virtual screen switched to page 2
and created a new xterm and also iconified that one.

FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0
FIM: icon geometry: 0 0 0x0

>the window.  I also need to know the size of your screen.

800x600

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:26:05 +0100

> I first did this with Resolution: Desk, changing to Resoltion:

Okay, all problems should be fixed now.

[snip]

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:04:25 +0100

>Okay, all problems should be fixed now.

Did a cvs up and recompiled.

This is what I get now.

Resolution: Global or Desk. (xterm normal, xconsole iconified).
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to next page still give.
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Resolution: Page.
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to next page.
[X xconsole]

And removing the StickyIcon Style gives
[  xterm   ]
[X xconsole]

Switch to next page.
[FvwmIconMan] (Becomes empty)

So I would say it is 100% correct.

Thank you.