Subject: Re: FVWM: Howto announce Fvwm Pages

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:05:59 +0100

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> I found something, which does exactly what I want and is real good: osd_cat from
> XOSD!

This really looks good. But how do you call it from fvwm? The problem is 
that in fvwm the pages and desktops AFAIK do not have a name, they are 
just labeled in the FvwmPager module.

One (the only?) possible solution might be to call a small script with 
the desktop and page numbers and the script chooses the name to be printed.

Gert

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:24:52 +0000

On 02 Mar 2003 14:05:59 +0100, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
> 
> Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> > 
> > I found something, which does exactly what I want and is real good: 
> > osd_cat from XOSD!
> 

The desktops do have names in 2.5.x using DesktopName command and it is
advised to use this instead of the FvwmPager's Label (i.e. remove all
"*FvwmPager: Label" lines in 2.5.x as redundant). Some modules including
FvwmPager and WindowList support these global names automatically.

The pages have no names, but they have coordinates.

> the desktop and page numbers and the script chooses the name to be printed.

Just installed
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/freshrpms/psyche/xosd/xosd-2.1.2-fr1.i386.rpm
Looks ok, here is how to use it in 2.5.6 (use $d in older 2.5.x versions):

  DesktopName 0 Main
  DesktopName 1 FVWM
  DesktopName 2 Work
  DesktopName 3 Fun

  DestroyFunc ShowString
  AddToFunc   ShowString
  + I Exec echo '$*' | osd_cat -A center -p middle -f '*lucida*-20-*' -s 5 -d 1

  DestroyFunc ExpandAndShowString
  AddToFunc   ExpandAndShowString
  + I PipeRead `echo ShowString '$*'`

  DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent-Flash: *
  *FvwmEvent-Flash: Delay 1
  *FvwmEvent-Flash: Cmd ExpandAndShowString
  *FvwmEvent-Flash: new_desk $$$$[desk.name$$[desk.n]]
  *FvwmEvent-Flash: new_page "Page: $$[page.nx] $$[page.ny]"

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Flash

  #KillModule FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Flash

Preventing future questions. There is a problem in osd_cat, it may show a
text for less than one second. Also for better results try to disable
either "Delay 1" line or "new_page" line, since the order of the sent
events are not very good, we just need to have one new_page_or_desk event.

Regards,
Mikhael.