Subject: FVWM: 'Move' only happens on mouse release

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 00:04:44 -0500

I updated my CVS tree a couple of days ago, and since then, whenever I
call Move from a mouse binding, the command doesn't happen until after I
release the mouse button.

The binding in question is:
Mouse   1   W   3   Move

The old behavior was to start moving on click, and stop moving when the
mouse was released.  I know there was some mumbling about commands
related to mouse presses, but the messages I could find weren't quite
related--forgive me if I missed something.

Thanks,
-- 
Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:01:19 +0100

> related--forgive me if I missed something.

I see, this change is not going to make me happy.

BEGIN THEORY

For some reason, a more or less random number of commands worked
on button press while other commands worked on button release.
The first type did not work when invoked outside a window context,
for example on the root window:

  mouse 3 a sc move

just flashed the selection cursor, selected the root window and
beeped.  The right way to have move-on-press is

  AddToFunc move_on_press
  + I Move
  mouse 1 W 3 function move_on_press

In the future, I would like to remove the difference between both
types of commands.

END THEORY

So much for the theory.  Unfortunately, many people rely on the
old, broken behaviour.  It should be relatively easy to write a
script that changes your config, though.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 05:14:49 -0500

> script that changes your config, though.

Aha!  I knew I remembered seeing something about it.  I've updated my rc
to use a function instead, and it works fine now.  Thanks!

I might take a stab at a conversion script tomorrow, if I have time. 
I'll have to figure out which functions had a behavioral change,
though.  If I can figure those out, the behavior only changed for mouse
bindings, correct?

Thanks again,

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:41:08 +0100

> though.  If I can figure those out, the behavior only changed for mouse

Yes.  Below is the list of changed functions.

  animatedmove
  move
  movetopage
  movetoscreen
  resize
  resizemaximize
  resizemove
  resizemovemaximize

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 13:14:46 -0500

> > > script that changes your config, though.

I've attached a simple awk script (it SHOULD be POSIX awk compliant) to
do the conversion.  The only downside is that it eats whitespace on
converted lines.