Subject: FVWM: Fvwm 2.5.5 with mplayer

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:26:59 +0100

Oooh...

I like, in fvwm 2.4, that when I start mplayer in fullscreen, I don't see
my pager and my icons.. 

But in 2.5.5, they stay always on top, and this is really boring when
watching a movie !  How can I fix that ?

thx
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:56:00 -0500

> watching a movie !  How can I fix that ?

Just a day or 2 ago we had a discussion about mplayer, you must
have missed it.

By default, mlplayer full screen asks to be put into layer 10.
You can change your default layer to 10, or you can ask Fvwm to
ignore gnome hints.

DefaultLayers 8 10 12

- or -

Style mplayer GnomeIgnoreHints

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:12:10 +0100

> Style mplayer GnomeIgnoreHints

This works in stable and unstable.

	Style "MPlayer" BorderWidth 0, HandleWidth 0, GnomeIgnoreHints

And to have a chance to work while you're watching stuff you need a
'transparent' xterm :-)

Make a screenshot of your mplayer (while running in xv mode). Take a colorpicker
from gimp or so ... and use it together with this: :-)

	xterm -T bluescreen -bg \#0101FE -fg white -ls
				~~~~~~~~ -> Overlay color.

By the way. There is a little bug with mplayer and GnomeIgnoreHints: If you have
the following in your .mplayer/config ... mplayer gets fullscreen, when you're
starting it ... but you can still see the background on the edges. To get that
away simple press twice f (fullscreen -> normal and back again)

	cat .mplayer/config
	vo=xv
	fs=yes

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:20:18 +0100

> watching a movie !  How can I fix that ?

Sorry. Dan and I wasn't reading your mail ... only the subject. :-)
I think that layers are broken in 2.5.5. So try CURRENT CVS Version ... it works
for me. MPlayer changes its layer from 4 to 10 when going fullscreen, but on
your version is stays in layer 4 because layers broken. StaysOnTop stuff is in
layer 6 per default so your pager and icons are always over your MPlayer.

To get clear about the phaenomen: Please use FvwmIdent on the mplayer and on
your pager and get the Layer for both. So you can see what is going on. - Please
tell us about.

For me my Pager is on Layer 4 but I guess your Pager is on Layer 6 and mplayer stays
on Layer 4 while going fullscreen.

	Thomas

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:59:01 +0100

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]> Date: 260203
> Style mplayer GnomeIgnoreHints

Both do not work for me :( 

But I check, Mplayer is on layer 4 and my pager on layer 6, you are right !

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:33:08 +0100

> your pager and get the Layer for both. So you can see what is going on. - Please
 
You are right !  But how can I fix that ?

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:42:10 +0100

> But how can I fix that ?

Today there is a new 'current-fvwm' Release[1], which has the Layer Commands
fixed. Please let us know if it works for you.

	Thomas

[1] Latest Unstable Release (2.5.6)

	ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.5.6.tar.gz
	ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.5.6.tar.bz2

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:28:24 +0100

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]> Date: 280203
> 	ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.5.6.tar.bz2

Argh ! I was proud of my work with  2.5.5 (I don't compile my window manger
every day)..  But I will try that !

I will thanx all the developpers !  Fvwm is really great (but a little
geek-oriented, I like that ;) ).  
Fvwm is one of the oldest WM, but his development is still really active...
What I say :
"If you can imagine it, Fvwm can do it !"

Many thx to the team and to the list for help...

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:35:43 +0100

> every day)..  But I will try that !

Just write *one time* a script and reuse it whenever you have to recompile fvwm.

> What I say : "If you can imagine it, Fvwm can do it !"

:-)

	Thomas