Subject: FVWM: Setting window styles per class?

From: Len Philpot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:57:29 -0600

I may well have overlooked it (once again), but how do you set a style
for window based on its class?

For example, I know I can do:

Style "Xyz*" blah blah...

...and it will set style blah blah for any window with a title starting
with Xyz.

However, some apps have windows with many different titles, yet the same
class, at least as reported by the Identify module. For example, GnuCash
(once again, as shown via the Identify module) - The main accounts
window has a resource of GnuCash, while dialogs have a resource of
gnucash. However, they both have a class of GnuCash. How can I take
advantage of this consistency (and "consistent inconsistency", as I call
it)? Or am I misundstanding something about class and resources?

There's the statement in the fvwm man page that styles can be set by
class ("stylename can be a window's name, class, or resource  string")
and that $c is the current window's resource class, but never really
explains how, at least in a manner I understood.

I'm primarily interested in managing titlebar buttons in instances where
the full set would be inappropriate. Rather than explicitly nailing down
each and every possible title, I'd like to be a bit more focused.

Thanks!

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------+
|  Len Philpot       ><>         http://philpot.org/  |
|  [email-masked]     [email-masked] (alt)  |
+-----------------------------------------------------+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:02:55 -0500

> each and every possible title, I'd like to be a bit more focused.

Currently styles match name, class, or resource.
There has been discussion of an enchancement to make the matching
more specific, but so far nothing has been done.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]