Subject: FVWM: mouse blanker?

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:47:36 +0100

Hello,

i am not sure if this (everybody should know the corresponding Amiga 
commodity ;) ) is a window manager or X topic: Is it possible to remove 
the mouse pointer from screen when pressing a key? The mouse pointer 
should be reanimated at the last position again when moving the mouse. 
This would be very useful when using SloppyFocus.

Thanks,

Gert

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:32:24 +0100

> Hello,

Hi.

> commodity ;) ) is a window manager or X topic: Is it possible to
> remove the mouse pointer from screen when pressing a key? The mouse
> pointer should be reanimated at the last position again when moving
> the mouse. This would be very useful when using SloppyFocus.

The program you are looking for is called unclutter. Just put it in your
InitFunction and you will have what you're looking for.

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:21:29 +0100

> InitFunction and you will have what you're looking for.

Thank you very much and sorry to all for being off topic here with my 
question.

Gert

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:00:41 +0100

Johan Svedberg wrote:

> The program you are looking for is called unclutter.

Ok, unclutter looks ok, but the "-keystroke" parameter does not work 
here, as mentioned in unclutter's man page. And i do not understand what 
the man page tells me about an XTest-Extension.

So i ask myself if it was not possible to do mouse blanking on a key 
event with fvwm (perhaps with FvwmEvent)? The only thing is that i have 
to find a possibility to clear and reset the mouse pointer. Maybe i 
could use the unclutter sources to implement a minimal unclutter tool 
that will be invoked by fvwm on key or mouse event.

The problem is i only have to catch the first key event after mouse 
events and the first mouse event after key events. Otherwise it would be 
very unefficient, i think.

Does anybody has an idea about this? (If not i will no longer bother you 
with this ;) )

Thank you,

Gert

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:21:23 +0000

Hey,

Just so you know that you're not completely offtopic.. I was interested
in this same thing a while back and I got pointed at unclutter too, but
I didn't find it totally satisfactory either.

I find it slightly amusing that for all it's many strengths there are
still a few simple things that Linux makes very difficult, like this
blanking the pointer and also auto mounting/unmounting disks (yeah, I
know about LUFS, but it has its drawbacks).

Cheers,

Andy

| Does anybody has an idea about this? (If not i will no longer bother you
| with this ;) )
|
| Thank you,
|
| Gert

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:41:16 -0500

> the man page tells me about an XTest-Extension.

Does not work is not a good description of your problem.

> that will be invoked by fvwm on key or mouse event.

If you want to hit a key and have unclutter hide the cursor, you don't need
Fvwm for that.  Modify unclutter to accept a signal and use kill -usr1 or
something like that to tell it to hide the pointer.

> very unefficient, i think.

I guess I don't know what you want to do.

> Does anybody has an idea about this? (If not i will no longer bother you 

Fvwm doesn't have universal control of the mouse pointer, thats not the window
managers job.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:51:26 +0100

> Does not work is not a good description of your problem.

You are right, but i thought, because it does not depend on fvwm i do 
not want to discuss it here. But FYI: unclutter can blank the pointer 
after x idle seconds of not using the mouse (-idle x) or when pressing 
any keyboard's key (-keystroke). The keystroke version does not blank 
the pointer here => it (keystroke blanking) does not work ;) . This is 
covered in unclutter's man page (section "LIMITATIONS").

> Fvwm doesn't have universal control of the mouse pointer, thats not the window

Well, perhaps i have to try to get "unclutter -keystroke" working somehow.

Ciao,

Gert