Subject: FVWM: Adding to the FvwmTaskBar

From: Jon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:38:06 -0900 (AKST)

Hello, been getting pretty heavily into Fvwm, and adding it also to my
Libretto laptop.  The laptop is slow (75 mhz) so I'm going for a mininal
of features, with a very basic Fvwm95 setup.

I wrote a small app that reads 'ppp0' which evenally should turn into a
'modem lights' app.

I noticed that I can not swallow apps directly on the FvwmTaskBar, say to
put this app next to the clock and the Mailcheck.  So I'm coursious to
look into modding the FvwmTaskBar to 'swallow' this app in that way.

I have been slowly browsing the ./fvwm-2.4.15/modules/FvwmTaskBar code,
and my question is, is there a 'doc' or maybe some 'advice' on where
exactly to start, not all -that- familiar with GUI programming but can
figure most things out.

TIA.
Jon.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:57:44 +0000

> exactly to start, not all -that- familiar with GUI programming but can

The advice is to use FvwmButtons for this. Have menu or launch buttons,
swallow FvwmIconMan and any applet like your app inside FvwmButtons.

It would be more helpful if you instead of extending FvwmTaskBar decide to
extend FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan. This is a more clean way where more
people benefit.

There is an information about the fvwm to modules protocol on the web site
that you may find useful. But at this point FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan
modules need enhancements that require some X programming knowledge that
is not FVWM specific, like nicer 3d effects, balloons and so on.

Regards,
Mikhael.