Subject: FVWM: RedHat 8.0 - invisible menus

From: "Glenn W. Bach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:12:56 -0800

I have tried getting both 2.4.15 and 2.4.6 working on RedHat 8.0, but in 
both cases, the menus are invisible.

My .xsession-errors files contains a large number of errors.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? I've tried my old 
fvwm2rc files and the example ones. I always get the same problem.

.xsession-errors:
------------------------
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 66, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 75, Error 13, EventType: 4
...
------------------------
-- 
Glenn W. Bach
CDS Systems Administrator
California Institute of Technology

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Capozza Giovanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:56:49 +0100 (MET)

> fvwm2rc files and the example ones. I always get the same problem.

I had the same problem  trying to get the 2.4.15 and 2.4.14 on RHL 8.0.
Apparently seems there is a problem with the Modules installed with the
above releases; I made both versions working installing the rpm
packages (and not the source codes) and giving in the .fvwm2rc config
file the right path of the modules which is

ModulePath /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.4.14/
PixmapPath /usr/share/icons/mini/
IconPath   /usr/share/icons

or

ModulePath /usr/libexec/fvwm/2.4.14/
PixmapPath /usr/share/icons/mini/
IconPath   /usr/share/icons

(the first path works with my desktop while the second
one with the laptop: I have no idea why the same version of fvwm
installs the Modules in different directories ???)

I can't change the background color yet (which is black!) !!!!
Does someone know how to do it ???

Cheers :-)

Giovanni

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:18:32 +0000

> I had the same problem  trying to get the 2.4.15 and 2.4.14 on RHL 8.0.

Please be more descriptive. Which problems exactly do you see, transparent
menus? Can you post your configuration and make some screenshots?
This can't have anything to do with ModulePath.

> installs the Modules in different directories ???)

Do you mean the same rpm install files into different directories on your
machines? This is impossible. Probably you have several fvwm installations
on the same machine. Try "rpm -ql fvwm | less" to see the file locations.

Please, remove your ModulePath line completely. Modules will likely to
function improperly if you have this line in your fvwm2rc. fvwm binary
knows where its modules sit without any additional help.

Please also remove PixmapPath and IconPath lines. Use ImagePath instead.
It is generally a good idea to take a look at your X output, you will see
some error messages about your fvwm2rc.

> Does someone know how to do it ???

Try: "xsetroot -solid darkcyan" or "fvwm-root myimage.xpm".
You may see FVWM FAQ on the web for other suggestions.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Capozza Giovanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:07:18 +0100 (MET)

> This can't have anything to do with ModulePath.

When I started my X session only the FvwmPager appeared (although I
specified other Modules to appear in the 'InitFunction' menu;
moreover the menus were unreadable (only the windows with the background color were visible).
This happened when I untar the fvwm-2.4.14(15).tar.gz and followed the
instructions to compile and install one of these realeases of fvwm, while
everithing worked when I insatlled the fvwm-2.4.14-1.i386.rpm. Anyhow
in both cases I specified the ModulePath in the .fvwm2rc file;
please note that I had no previous version of fvwm2 installed,
since I installed on my desktop the RHL 8.0 (not upgraded from a older version),
which does not have any fvwm packages.

> on the same machine. Try "rpm -ql fvwm | less" to see the file locations.

On my Laptop I upgraded the RHL 7.3 release with the RHL 8.0 release
and I had the same problems than above. However in this case I had the
fvwm-2.4.9 release already installed on the laptop (I simply checked with
rpm -q fvwm); I therefore removed this installation not to have confusion
with the new releases I wished to install.
To make fvwm work I did exactly the same than on my desktop except for
the different ModulePath specified in the .fvwm2rc file.
Anyway now everithing seems to work on both computers....

> some error messages about your fvwm2rc.

Ok, I'll do it and see what happens!

> You may see FVWM FAQ on the web for other suggestions.

Ok, thanks.

Best regards,

Giovanni

---

From: "Glenn W. Bach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:25:40 -0800

The problem I saw was that the menu window was drawn with the correct 
foreground color, but the text within the menu window was never visible 
(that is what generated all of the X errors I think).

I found out, though, that the problem has something to do with the way 
redhat set up their package. I had used thier RPM spec file to generate 
new RPMS from the latest source. What I ended up doing was compiling it 
myself with minimal configuration changes (specifying prefix only). 
After doing this, everything works fine.

I'm going to try to adjust thier RPM spec file configuration to see if I 
can generate a working fvwm RPM.

Glenn

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:59:19 +0000

> can generate a working fvwm RPM.

Please don't do this. There is no any reason to continue this old "fvwm2"
naming scheme. The package and the executable are named "fvwm".

To generate a good rpm from any source tarball, just run "make rpm-dist".

Regards,
Mikhael.