Subject: FVWM: IconMan

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:28:41 +0100

Ok, forget all I say about taskbar !  IconMan is really what I want ! (Fvwm
is really the best software I ever seen ! If you want it, look, it's in
FVWM... Is fvwm doing some coffee ?)

I have a tiny problem : when no window is launched, my iconMan is an ugly
box with large grey borders ! :(  

How to make IconMan disappear when no window is shown ?

thx...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:53:35 +0100

> How to make IconMan disappear when no window is shown ?

How about making the background transparent and removing the
border?

  colorset 77 transparent
  *FvwmIconMan: *Colorset 77
  Style FvwmIconMan sticky, parentalrelativity, handlewidth 0, borderwidth

If that is not good enough it becomes really tricky.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:18:35 +0100

>   Style FvwmIconMan sticky, parentalrelativity, handlewidth 0, borderwidth
it doesn't work !  

The background become grey ( ! ) and that's all !
I must say that I don't have any border when some windows are open !  It's
only when no window are matched by the IconMan (I will send a screenshot if
you want).

What's the 'parentalrelativity' ?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:52:20 +0100

> only when no window are matched by the IconMan (I will send a screenshot if

I forgot to mention that you have to have 2.5.5 for this to work.

> What's the 'parentalrelativity' ?

A funny name for the fact that a transparent colour set is used
;-)  X calls it "ParentRelatve" internally, but that term should
never have made it into the fvwm interface.  "Transparency" would
have been a better name.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:51:10 +0100

I will try to compile 2.5.5 this week-end... :)  (my sarge only apt-get
2.4.16 )

Anyone have a detailled how-to for installing fvwm 2.5.5 under debian sarge
?
(if not, I will try it...)
From: Fvwm List <[email-masked]> Date: 210203

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:32:20 +0100

> Anyone have a detailled how-to for installing fvwm 2.5.5 under debian sarge

Well, this is the way how i installed it under woody:

* keep the original fvwm package installed, so you still can use the 
autogenerated debian-menus, if you like to have it included in one of 
your menus:

AddToMenu StartMenu
+ Mozilla exec /opt/mozilla/mozilla

Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook

If you do not need this you can deinstall the packeg "fvwm".

* compile the 2.5.x source as described (configure; make)

* do not use "make install" but instead "checkinstall" (needs to be 
installed by "apt-get install checkinstall"). Change the name of the 
package to somewhat like "fvwm-selfcompiled" to not collide with the 
original name "fvwm".

* Pay attention to really start the correct new /usr/local/bin/fvwm.

Works for me.

Gert

---

From: Wojtek Aleksander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:48:30 +0100

> autogenerated debian-menus, if you like to have it included in one of
I don't think keeping the fvwm version from packages is neccessary as
far as menus are concerned, it is enough to have:
/etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook
/etc/menu-methods/fvwm2

With these files menus for fvwm will be generated on installation of new
programs etc. For the full description of menu system in Debian see
/usr/share/doc/menu/menu.txt.gz

cheers
-- 
szaleniec!? jaki szaleniec!?
tysiące szaleńców!!!

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:30:27 +0100

> /etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook

But because the second file (i did not check the first one) is located
in the fvwm-package it would be removed when removing the fvwm package. 
Or am i wrong?

Gert

---

From: Wojtek Aleksander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:39:25 +0100

> in the fvwm-package it would be removed when removing the fvwm package. 
Probably yes, but this is no problem since you have a copy of this file 
in /usr/share/doc/menu/examples (this is where I got mine from). So 
unless you made changes to the fvwm2 menu-method script that came with 
Debian package you may allow dpkg remove it (well, in fact it shouldn't 
be deleted unless you use --purge option). Oh, and you can always backup 
the files residing in your /etc, can't you? :)

cheers,
W.

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:41:29 +0100

> * Pay attention to really start the correct new /usr/local/bin/fvwm.
How do you do this ?  thx for the help, checkinstall work great :)

---

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:35:31 +0100

> How do you do this ?  thx for the help, checkinstall work great :) 

It depends on how you start your X-Server:

by startx: put the line "exec /usr/local/bin/fvwm" into .xinitrc

by a display manager: put the same line into .Xsession (or .xsession?)

(important is to specify the full path; Also you can try "which fvwm" to 
see which binary is chosen without the full path; and "man fvwm" to 
check if the correct man-page (see the version number) is taken.)

This all works here automatically. But if you have problems or you are 
unsure, try to remove the original fvwm package as Wojtek Aleksander did 
mention.

Gert

---

From: Ploum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:38:03 +0100

From: Gert Brinkmann <[email-masked]> Date: 270203
> by a display manager: put the same line into .Xsession (or .xsession?)
I find another way :  I create a link called fvwm25->fvwm in /usr/local/bin
I call this fvwm25 in .xsession !  that's useful to use with KDM.  
fvwm25 -> call fvwm 2.5.5
fvwm or fvwm2 -> call fvwm 2.4.15

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:49:41 -0500

> fvwm or fvwm2 -> call fvwm 2.4.15 

Be careful.  There are some parts of fvwm you want in your PATH,
(like FvwmCommand).  Creating links or using full path names for
starting Fvwm doesn't help with that.

You could use a shell script containing something like this:

(start of fvwm25 shell script)
PATH=/myfvwm25/bin:$PATH
export PATH
exec fvwm

Note that things you start from your .xinitrc won't see this,
so if you start an xterm or emacs from your .xinitrc, it won't
run the right FvwmCommand.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]