Subject: FVWM: on the fly binding of key-combo to window

From: Maciej Kalisiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:05:58 -0500

Windowmaker has this nice feature which I have found very useful in the past.
I'm wondering if it can be somehow achieved using FVWM. (What am I saying?!  Of
course it can!  But how??)

The basic idea is that the user hits a particular key combo when a desired
window has focus, and this binds on the fly a possibly different combo to
always bring focus back to the window in question.  An example will probably
make this clearer: user focuses browser window, presses Alt-Shift-F1; from then
on pressing Alt-F1 will switch the wm to the desk/page of the browser, and give
it focus.

Has anyone implemented anything like this in their .fvwm2rc/fvwm-themes?  If
not, any suggestions on a general strategy to achieve this?

-- 
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:38:16 +0000

> not, any suggestions on a general strategy to achieve this?

Do something like this:

  DestroyFunc SelectWindow
  AddToFunc   SelectWindow
  + I Focus
  + I Raise
  + I WarpToWindow 50 50

  Key 1 W SCM  Key 1 A SM  Silent WindowId $$w SelectWindow
  Key 2 W SCM  Key 2 A SM  Silent WindowId $$w SelectWindow
  Key 3 W SCM  Key 3 A SM  Silent WindowId $$w SelectWindow
  Key 4 W SCM  Key 4 A SM  Silent WindowId $$w SelectWindow

Then press Shift-Ctrl-Alt-1 / 2 / 3 / 4 to bookmark windows (up to 4)
and Shift-Alt-1 / 2 / 3 / 4 to switch to the bookmarked windows.

If you use fvwm-themes, put this in ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/bindings-extra.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Maciej Kalisiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:04:26 -0500

>   Key 4 W SCM  Key 4 A SM  Silent WindowId $$w SelectWindow

Thanks Mikhael!

Wow, I expected it to be a bit hairier. I'm almost... disappointed. :)
Is there anything FVWM can't do?

I think someone should put up a webpage of how to emulate in FVWM every single
feature of every other window manager out there.  Perhaps I might, in my
copious free time...