Subject: FVWM: IconOverride?

From: [email-masked] (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:03:27 -0600 (CST)

Hi all, please CC me as I'm not on this list.

I hate application icons.  All I want when I iconify a window is to
see a nice little rectangle with the window name in it.  I must be a
bonehead, because I can't figure out how to make this work.  I've
tried to use a style with "IconOverride,Icon unknown.xpm" but that
doesn't seem to work.  E.g.:

Style ** IconOverride,Icon unknown.xpm

but it still seems like apps like xchat and gaim still show me
pictures when they're iconfied.  I've tried "Style * ..." and
"Style "Gaim" ..." but those don't help much either.

FWIW, I'm using Fvwm 2.4.14.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
-Barry

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:20:16 +0100 (CET)

> "Style "Gaim" ..." but those don't help much either.

Style *
when using the style "Icon" only applies to thos programs that do NOT
specify an icon, this is used to set a default icon.
use
Style **
instead this should override all icons.

I think that Style ** IconOverride is a syntax error.

Try:
Style ** Icon unknown.xpm
Style * IconOverride

//Marcus

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:07:16 -0500

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, that doesn't work
either.  I still get the app icons.

-Barry

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:23:04 +0100

> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The icon selection code needs some clean up.  Especially, it's not
easy to disable icon pictures completely.  There are two
possibilities:

 1) Explicitly set the Icon style of every application that annoys
    you:

      Style mozilla Icon non_existing_icon.xpm
      Style emacs Icon non_existing_icon.xpm

 2) Make a completely transparent xpm icon that is 1 pixel high
    and as wide as you like the icon titles to be displayed, then
    set

      Style ** my_icon.xpm
      Style * IconOverride

    To be safe, do this near the top of your .fvwm2rc and never
    issue another "Style * Icon" or "Style ** Icon" style again.
    They seem to interfere with each other, depending on the
    styles that were set in between.
    
Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: martin sepulveda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:10:15 +0100

gaim, at least, uses images stored in the filesystem. in my case those are in
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gaim.png and .xpm

a workaround would be replacing or symlinking those to your unknown.xpm and a png (ie made with convert).

i know doing it with any app is a mess, but that's something at least.

m.

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:22:04 -0500

>>>>> "ms" == martin sepulveda <[email-masked]> writes:

    ms> gaim, at least, uses images stored in the filesystem. in my
    ms> case those are in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gaim.png and .xpm

    ms> a workaround would be replacing or symlinking those to your
    ms> unknown.xpm and a png (ie made with convert).

    ms> i know doing it with any app is a mess, but that's something
    ms> at least.

That does sound like a useful workaround, but I still wonder why the
Fvwm options aren't appearing to work (it could definitely be that I
don't understand their purpose).

Thanks,
-Barry