Subject: FVWM: Restricting screen area for window placement

From: Piotr Zgorecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 02:41:32 +0100

Hi,

1. I have FvwmButtons at the bottom of screen, and want to have it
always visible. It's easy to tell Maximize not to cover some area at
the bottom of the screen, but I was wondering if I could make fvwm not
cover FvwmButtons while placing new windows. So, is there a way? The
first thing that came to my mind was to use FvwmEvent, but I don't
want to change windows' sizes. I just want fvwm to consider a smaller
screen area when it's placing windows.

2. I'd like to be able to move and resize windows with single
keystrokes, eg to move the focused window 20 pixels to the left with a
simple Alt+Left. The problem is actually with resizing, not moving. I
thought I could do this by binding something like 'Resize
$[w.width]-20p $[w.height]' to a keystroke, but it seems that fvwm
doesn't understand the arithmethics in the command. So, again is this
possible ?

Thanks,
Piotr Zgorecki
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rob Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 06:10:40 -0700

Alas! Piotr Zgorecki spake thus:
> I was wondering if I could make fvwm not cover FvwmButtons while
> placing new windows.

Try using the MinOverlapPlacement style, that seems to work fairly well
for me. From what I understand, the less screen space your FvwmButtons
takes, the less likely it is that some window will overlap it.

-- 
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark
--
He who slings mud generally loses ground.
		-- Adlai Stevenson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:12:07 -0500

> screen area when it's placing windows.

This is what the EwmhBaseStruts stuff is for in the 2.5.x series.

2.5.x is beta software.  It works pretty well, but is not ready
for widespread use.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]