Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconMan questions

From: Maciej Kalisiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:30:14 -0500

1) Is there a way to control the thickness of the relief for the buttons in
   FvwmIconMan? (i.e., the border that shows up around each button when 
   (Plain|Focus|...)Button style is anything other than "flat")

2) Is there a way to have FvwmIconMan resize dynamically?  I have one swallowed
   inside FvwmButtons, but it doesn't want to expand to fill the space provided
   therein.

-- 
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Maciej Kalisiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:34:38 -0500

I suppose I should add my configuration for FvwmIconMan, just in case:

*FvwmButtons: (4x2, Swallow FvwmIconMan 'FvwmIconMan')

*FvwmIconMan: Font		-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmIconMan: FocusColorset	6
*FvwmIconMan: drawicons		always
*FvwmIconMan: followfocus	true
*FvwmIconMan: format		"%i"
*FvwmIconMan: shape		true
*FvwmIconMan: managergeometry	3x0
*FvwmIconMan: ButtonGeometry	130x0
*FvwmIconMan: Resolution	global
*FvwmIconMan: plainbutton	up
*FvwmIconMan: focusbutton	down

Removing the ButtonGeometry line just makes the buttons wider, overflowing the
allotted space.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:43:41 +0000

>    (Plain|Focus|...)Button style is anything other than "flat")

Since such option does not appear anywhere in the FvwmIconMan man page,
it is not configurable as of now.

> 2) Is there a way to have FvwmIconMan resize dynamically?  I have one
>    swallowed inside FvwmButtons, but it doesn't want to expand to fill
>    the space provided therein.

If I understand you correctly, you don't like that FvwmButtons is
resized together with FvwmIconMan. Then you should fix the size of
FvwmButtons, something like this:

  *FvwmButtons: Geometry 548x57+0-0
  *FvwmButtons: Rows     5
  *FvwmButtons: Columns  68
  *FvwmButtons: BoxSize  fixed
  ...
  *FvwmButtons: (14x5, Swallow FvwmIconMan 'Module FvwmIconMan')

You may even try to specify something like 14x5+10+10 in the last line.

As for FvwmIconMan, its geometry is configured using ManagerGeometry and
ButtonGeometry, but they may be ignored if conflict with the reallity.
For example if you specify "ManagerGeometry 2x5" this is equivalent to
"ManagerGeometry 2x0" if no ButtonGeometry is specified, but it may also
be equivalent to "0x5" if there is a place for 5 rows accourding to
ButtonGeometry and the actual FvwmIconMan size. Note that this is only
my experience, I have no time now to learn the source code.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Maciej Kalisiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:05:19 -0500

> it is not configurable as of now.

Is this feature planned?  If not, are you accepting patches for it?  (I imagine
it's not very hard to do, so I might give it a stab)

> If I understand you correctly, you don't like that FvwmButtons is resized
> together with FvwmIconMan.

Not quite.  I don't like that, when I resize FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan does not
adjust its overall size to fit within the Swallow area provided to it by
FvwmButtons.  Ideally I would like the FvwmIconMan to vary the size of *its*
buttons, using the specified a desired ManagerGeometry, so that everything fits
within the designated FvwmButtons space.

BTW, I'm using FVWM 2.5.5.

> my experience, I have no time now to learn the source code.

Right.  I'm looking instead for why "actual FvwmIconMan's size" is not
adjusting to reflect the space provided within FvwmButtons.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:34:35 +0000

On 16 Jan 2003 09:05:19 -0500, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> Is this feature planned?  If not, are you accepting patches for it?  (I
> imagine it's not very hard to do, so I might give it a stab)

Not planned, but feel free to submit patches. Although at this point you
should convince developers that your changes are needed for 2.6.0 and do
the testing thoroughly.

> adjusting to reflect the space provided within FvwmButtons.

I suppose this is because the button size (at least height) is fixed and
is not changed dynamically. If you think that there is a better behaviour
when no ButtonGeometry is configured, you may patch it. This could be done
as a new option, because the current behaviour is useful.

I think that in any case (fixed button size or not) FvwmIconMan should
define size hints, so there would be no gaps, at least when not swallowed.

Regards,
Mikhael.