Subject: FVWM: questions about fvwm not responding.

From: dewey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:23:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi. I've just started to use fvwm, version 2.4.14 with fvwm-themes 0.6.2.
I might not even have the terminologies correct.
All seems to work well until I used "pan" and went to decode, oh, about
1000 files, fvwm seems to have stopped responding, the system itself
didn't and using other windows managers, I haven't noticed the same
problem before. I used top to check the cpu usage, and while it might not
be the most accurate in the world, it wasn't even near 50% CPU usage.
The reason I say fvwm stopped responding is that I can't change focus on
any of the windows I have opened, but the text in the active window
(mostly irc clients) kept scrolling and I was still able to type within
the last "active" window, but my menu bars loses all decorations, text
within the title bars, everything. I can't click to focus. I can't
alt-tab. It appeared that I had to renice "pan" in order for fvwm to
respond again.  Is this normal behaviour? Any information appreciated.
I'll also provide with whatever information might be needed.
Thanks.

-Dewey
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:17:23 +0000

> I'll also provide with whatever information might be needed.

It is not very clear for me whether you have response problems while
everything is still correct (just slow), or "menu bars loses all
decorations, text within the title bars, everything". Do you see the same
window decorations (borders, titlebar with buttons) and root menu colors
that you used to see before starting pan? Please try to describe this.

I just installed pan (I suppose you speak about a GNOME news reader),
downloaded some Mb of binaries during one minute (that is what you seem to
do) and I don't see any problem. Do you still continue to have problems if
you exit pan? Which pan version do you use?

Just to be sure, do the following, Restart to fvwm without configuration,
for this open FvwmConsole from the Modules menu and type in it:

  Restart fvwm -f none

Then start xterm, it is first in the default menu and start pan in it.
Start more xterms and see whether you have any response problems.
To return to fvwm-themes start FvwmConsole from the menu again and type:

  Restart fvwm-themes-start

Regards,
Mikhael.