Subject: FVWM: Windowlist

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:46:08 +0100

Hi, again.

Just wondering how I can make the window list (by default accessed with
Alt+Tab) act the way it does in a certain famous OS? :)

By act I mean te way it lists windows (i.e. Alt+Tab would take me to the
last used window instead of the current)

Regards,

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:53:01 +0100 (CET)

> last used window instead of the current)

There is an option for the windowlist to get the behaviour of *cough* a
certain well known GUI...
The option is "CurrentAtEnd", I would think this is what you want.

//Marcus

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 12:08:03 -0500

> The option is "CurrentAtEnd", I would think this is what you want.

For this to become fvwm's default behavior, the file
fvwm/ConfigFvwmDefaults would have to be changed.

This seems to be better default behavior.  Can anyone say why
this shouldn't be the default behavior?  (I don't use alt-tab
so I might be missing something.)

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:19:40 +0100

> so I might be missing something.)

I agree. The current default is not very logical imho. Any other
opinions?

Regards,

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:24:18 +0000

> I agree. The current default is not very logical imho. Any other

I can only speak for myself, for me the current default is convenient and
logical, probably because I use Alt-Tab mainly to see the list of all
windows and not mainly to switch to the previous window. For someone who
wants to see the listing the current default is better, because it does
not switch to a random window on a single Alt-Tab press and release.
By random I mean a liberal mouse usage and SloppyFocus/MouseFocus.

Additionally, CurrentAtEnd is only a hack to achieve a single click
functionality for switching to the previous window. In another OS the
current window is first in the list, not the last like with this option.

It is a habit issue. One with the Windows background may expect one
behaviour for Alt-Tab, one without such background may only expect a
good window list starting from the current focused window. Anyway,
this is only an opinion and not a vote against changing the default.

Regards,
Mikhael.