Subject: FVWM: suggestion about the web site at http://www.fvwm.org/

From: "Rouben Rostamian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:21:24 -0500

Fvwm's home page at http://www.fvwm.org/ says:

  NEWS FLASH! FVWM 2.4.15, a stable release, is now available for download

which is terrific, however a NEWS FLASH without a date looks rather
odd.  The infrequent visitor is given no clue whether the news
flash was posted two days ago or a year ago.

The "Last modified" date at the bottom of the page indicates 
that this is not an abandoned site, however it is not certain
that the "Last modified" date pertains the news flash or some
other item on the page.

Similarly, the "Latest News" link takes us to:

  http://www.fvwm.org/generated/NEWS.html

where again we are given no dates, thus we are left in the dark as
to how "Late" the "Latest News" may be.

Several other related pages suffer from the absence of dates too.
See, for instance,

    http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/

where it says:  "Stable fvwm-themes-0.6.2 is released", but doesn't
say when.

Please consider including dates corresponding to announcements and
news releases.

-- 
Rouben Rostamian <[email-masked]>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:36:22 -0500

> Please consider including dates corresponding to announcements and

Good point.  Thanks for the constructive advice.  A date should
appear next to the release announcement within an hour or so.

I haven't looked at the NEWS file, but I'll probably get to it
sooner or later.
-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:39:58 -0500

> to how "Late" the "Latest News" may be.

Actually, if you scroll down to 2.4.15, it is dated.
Whats not dated is the news for 2.5.6 which says
"not released yet".

Seems OK to me.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:25:02 +0100

> Whats not dated is the news for 2.5.6 which says

If thins becomes common practice, the instructions have to be
added to the DEVELOPERS file.  By the way, I do not find a "last
modified" date terribly useful.  In any case, it could be pulled
from cvs automatically, without the need to remember updating it
each time fvwm-web is touched.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:08:32 -0500

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> If this becomes common practice, the instructions have to be
> added to the DEVELOPERS file.

We've been getting dates inserted by the make_fvwmdist.sh shell
for a long time now.  The original poster was happy with
the "not released yet", he just missed the dates on the other
releases.

> By the way, I do not find a "last

That "last modified" date is supposed to be updated automatically
by an XEmacs save.  I think the surrounding comments that make it
work got erased somehow.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:16:26 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:08:32PM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> for a long time now.

I don't think so.  I have not built a realease with a script for
years.  It's too unreliable.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^