Subject: FVWM: edge scroll wrap around

From: Jesse L Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:34:46 -0500

hello--

happy new year to those celebrating (still)!  i am about
to begin a new look&feel for a close friend and she would
like to have the ability to 'wrap around' when scrolling
off the edge of a screen.  her desired desktop is a 4x1
(hor x ver), so if she were on desk 0 and scrolled off
the left edge, it would wind up on desk 3 ...

is this possible?  if so, please enlighten me..  thanks
in advance.

-jlf

-- 
   "To live forever, or die in the attempt."

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:52:32 +0000

> is this possible?  if so, please enlighten me..  thanks

Do you mean your desk has 4x1 pages? or you have 4 desks each contains
one page? I suppose you speak about the desk with 4 horizontal pages.

Quoting the man page:

         EdgeScroll horizontal[p] vertical[p]

[skipped]

              If the horizontal and vertical percentages are mul╜
              tiplied  by 1000 then scrolling wraps around at the
              edge of the desktop.  If

                   EdgeScroll 100000 100000

              is used  fvwm  scrolls  by  whole  pages,  wrapping
              around at the edge of the desktop.

See also EdgeResistance.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:18:06 -0500

>               around at the edge of the desktop.

Very cool.  I like it.  I also noticed the Scroll command for
keystroke wraparound.  Unfortunately, the behavior is slightly
different.  It's more noticeable when you have a multidimensional
desktop (like 3x2 instead of 4x1) but what happens is when you scroll
off the right side of page 0,2, you wrap to page 1,0, rather than 0,0,
like you do in the EdgeScroll behavior.  The same happens if you
scroll off the top of 0,0 - you wrap into 1,1 instead of 0,1.

Is there any way to change the Scroll wraparound behavior so they are
consistent?  I much prefer the EdgeScroll behavior, but I don't really
care for the need to grab the mouse.  I did check the manpage, and the
behavior is consistent with what the docs say, but I still like the
EdgeScroll behavior better.  It's more intuitive for me.

Thanks
Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc               [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a
week sometimes to make it up.
    -- Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:46:58 +0000

On 16 Jan 2003 11:18:06 -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> >               If the horizontal and vertical percentages are mulâ•œ

Don't tell anyone I suggested you such dirty trick, but if you do some
math you may see it is not that dirty. Suppose you use DesktopSize 3x4.
Then instead of "Scroll 100000 0" use "Scroll 0 400000" and instead of
"Scroll 0 100000" use "Scroll 300000 0". Works like you want.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:51:43 -0500

> "Scroll 0 100000" use "Scroll 300000 0". Works like you want.

Very slick!  Shoulda thought of that myself.

I came up with this for a 3x2 desktop:
Key h           A       4       Scroll +0      -200000
Key l           A       4       Scroll +0      +200000
Key k           A       4       Scroll +300000 +0
Key j           A       4       Scroll +300000 +0

Funny thing is the h key doesn't work quite like expected.  It works
fine from the bottom row, but from the top row it behaves like the
setting is "+0  -100000" - like the ctrl UP key in the following:

Key Left        A       C       Scroll -100000 +0
Key Right       A       C       Scroll +100000 +0
Key Up          A       C       Scroll +0      -100000
Key Down        A       C       Scroll +0      +100000

Any idea why?  I tried several other values for the second parameter,
including +400000 and +600000, which never want to behave right.
Instead of behaving like you'd expect "+0 -200000" to behave, they
behave exactly like you'd expect "+0 +200000".

Thanks
Lou

What is algebra, exactly?  Is it one of those three-cornered things?
    -- J.M. Barrie