Subject: FVWM: relative maximation without changing the relation of size

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:26:11 +0100

Hello list,

is it somehow possible to maximize (grow) a window, without changing the
relations of width an height of the window?

greetings
	Klaus

-- 
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
	  Let's see just how ugly they think it is when they have a few
	  bulletholes in them.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:15:38 +0000

> relations of width an height of the window?

The "grow" is problematic, since the final size is not known in advance.

Window manager can't know which ratio is acceptable for a window, only an
application may know. There is a standard way to define a window aspect
ratio using window size hints and I know some applications that do this.
If an application (like xterm) does not define a ratio, just resize
increments, a window manager gets it as any geometry ratio is acceptable.

It seems that with the current implementation the final size for windows
that define the aspect ratio is evaluated by growing a window not
shrinking, I am not sure this is good. I.e. If a 640x480 ratio window is
maximized, it is first "resized" to 1280x1024 and then adjusted to
something like 1365x1024. I think it should be 1280x960 instead.

Anyway, there is no currently a way to preserve a size ratio when doing
Maximize grow, ot to specify a user defined ratio if an application did
not provide one. If you know programming you may try to implement a new
Maximize aspectgrow option or write a module to constrain window sizes
using user-defined aspect ratios.

Regards,
Mikhael.