Subject: FVWM: Writing FVWM modules in Perl (Tk)

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:46:16 +1100

Hi all,

I want to write a FVWMTabs module (think: tabbed xterms, etc.) using Perl.

To do this I'll need to 'swallow' apps into my tabbed app. The FvwmButtons
module does this in C using the XReparentWindow() call. How can I do
something like this in Tk?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:47:55 +0000

> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

I don't know the exact answer, I am learning too. Just pointers.

Type in Google "perl/tk swallow", seems like in 1996 it was not possible.
Also type "gtk/perl swallow". GTK+ is a more modern, nicer looking and
better designed widget toolkit than Tk, you may like it. Seems like it
can swallow windows using GtkPlug widget class.

It is also possible to implement X protocol purely in Perl without any
widget toolkits, if you want to try this path, go to perlwm.sf.net.

Regards,
Mikhael.