Subject: FVWM: Possible bug in StartsOnScreen

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:26:45 +0000

Hello,

If you've seen any of my periodic emails over the last few months you
might remember that I've had a problem with transient windows popping up
all over the place and generally not behaving themselves.

In a burst of drunken enthusiasm I went delving into the source to try
and work out where the problem might be, and I think I've narrowed it
down to the StartsOnScreen setting. If I comment out the 'StartsOnScreen
c' line from my .fvwmrc everything seems to work fine (more testing
needed to check if it is definitely so), and intriguingly applications
still launch on the screen containing the mousepointer, which I was told
was the whole point of 'StartsOnScreen c'. (I'd be interested to know
why that is, out of curiousity?)

I believe the problem lies somwhere around the
FScreenTranslateCoordinates function in FScreen.c; possibly this
function's interaction with the XineramaSls functions, which I use with
NVidia's Twinview function in their drivers. Relevant lines from my rc:

XineramaSls True
XineramaSlsScreens 2 1152x864+0+0 1024x768+1152+0
XineramaPrimaryScreen 0

My guess would be that the translation is not behaving and is shifting
the window out of the actual space of the screen for some reason.
However, my contact with the FVWM codebase stands at about 10 minutes,
so I'll leave the proper debugging to people a bit more experienced. ;)

For whatever reason certain transient windows (such as replies in lICQ
and the Enigmail windows in Mozilla Mail don't appear correctly if the
pointer is in the second screen when they are spawned. Everything works
fine with 'StartsOnScreen c' commented out.

I hope this is of some use to someone ;)

Cheers,

Andy

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].