Subject: FVWM: What does the F stand for?

From: "Toby Inkster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:28:45 -0000 (GMT)

According to the FVWM FAQ, nobody knows. Not so! I know!

See the attached fvwm.c from the FVWM 0.5 sources. Lines 34 and 77 might
 be of particular interest.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

Please CC my address in replies, as I am not subscribed to the mailing
list.

-- 
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
E-mail:   [email-masked]
PGP:      http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/node.cgi?id=12
Web Page: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/
IM:       AIM:inka80 ICQ:6622880 YIM:tobyink Jabber:[email-masked]

Vote for ME -- I'm well-tapered, half-cocked, ill-conceived and
TAX-DEFERRED!

---

From: Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:20:24 -0500

>According to the FVWM FAQ, nobody knows. Not so! I know!

Isn't there an interview with the original author in UnixWorld (or 
something like it; I'm too lazy to look it up) where he gives the 
original meaning as "feeble"?
-- 
Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: No Nym <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 10:48:18 -0600

>original meaning as "feeble"?
According to an article by FVWM's author (I can't recall where I read it),
it stands for "Feline Virtual Windows Manager". It might have been on
FVWM's official page:

   http://www.fvwm.org/

Peter

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 02:19:09 +0100

> it stands for "Feline Virtual Windows Manager". It might have been on

Actually, "we" (an undefined set of developers and mailing list
readers) know what the F stood for originally, but most of "us"
prfer the "mystery F" instead.  The "Feline" VWM came up several
years ago when we noticed that almost all developers had cats ^_^

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:24:39 -0600

> years ago when we noticed that almost all developers had cats ^_^

Uh, so ``you'' (undefined set &c., &c.) are going to keep ``us''
(definite set of people who want to know) in suspense about the original
meaning (for an indefinite length of time)?  If so, does filing a false
bug report (#961) count (by any stretch of the imagination) as being
part of the aforementioned set of developers and thus privy to the
original meaning of F?

[Please don't let tone or requests of posting unsubscribe poster from
any lists. :-)]

-- 
Norvell Spearman

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 00:33:49 +0100 (CET)

> it stands for "Feline Virtual Windows Manager". It might have been on

Actually the first releases in 1993 really WAS feeble. You couldn't change
much, only colurs, menus and maybe fonts... ^_^

//Marcus

---

From: Tor Stormwall <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 2002 16:39:07 +0100

> much, only colurs, menus and maybe fonts... ^_^

Where can I find a copy of such an old release from 1993? 

> //Marcus

Just For Fun :) 

Best Regards,
Tor Stormwall
----------------------
http://creson.com/~tor

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:51:27 +0100 (CET)

> Where can I find a copy of such an old release from 1993? 

I found an archive 0.91, from 23 July 1993...
http://www.update.uu.se/~ml/fvwm-0.91b.tar.gz

You might have to tweak the path for libraries to get it to compile (I
had to) (it has no autoconf :-) )

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:56:24 +0100 (CET)

> http://www.update.uu.se/~ml/fvwm-0.91b.tar.gz

And I kind of dig this line (from the system.fvwmrc shipped with this
release):

Icon "Fvwm Pager" /tmp_mnt/auto/asp_1a/homes/dsp/nation/fvwm.bitmap

---

From: Tor Stormwall <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 15:31:52 +0100

> Icon "Fvwm Pager" /tmp_mnt/auto/asp_1a/homes/dsp/nation/fvwm.bitmap

Thanks! :)

Best Regards,
Tor Stormwall
----------------------
http://creson.com/~tor