Subject: FVWM: InitFunction not working as expected?

From: Jose Romildo Malaquias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:17:19 -0200

Hello.

Starting of applications seems to not be working as expected in my
FVWM 2.5.5 configuration.

In order to have Eterm started once (at initialization time) and
FvwmButtons on initialization and restart times, I have the
following

	AddToFunc InitFunction
	+	"I" exec Eterm
	
	AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmButtons

in my ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc configuration file. When FVWM is started,
none of Eterm and FvwmButtons is shown, until I press a mouse
button (if anywhere in the screen, only the Eterm appears, if in
any window client area, both appear).

Any clues?

Romildo
-- 
Prof. José Rom ildo Malaquias        [email-masked]
Departamento de Computação       [email-masked]
Univ. Federal de Ouro Preto  http://uber.com.br/romildo

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:28:55 -0500

try this:

AddToFunc InitFunction
    + I Exec Eterm

AddToFunc StartFunction
    + I Module FvwmButtons

(note the capital 'E' in 'Exec)

-peter =)

-- 
Peter McAlpine
[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:01:19 -0500

> any window client area, both appear).

First, ignore that advice about using "Exec" instead of "exec".
Fvwm commands are not case sensitive.

If you are getting a delay until you press a button, most
likely you have a command in your .fvwm2rc that needs a target
window.  Fvwm is waiting for you to indicate which window you want
the command to operate on.

For example, if you had the command:

Move

in your .fvwm2rc, fvwm wouldn't know which window you want to
move and it would wait until you clicked somewhere
to indicate which window to move.  (If you click on the root,
it just aborts the command.)

Look for a command in your .fvwm2rc that needs a window.

If you can't find anything, post your .fvwm2rc here.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Jose Romildo Malaquias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:44:28 -0200

> If you can't find anything, post your .fvwm2rc here.

Thanks for the help. In fact there was a wrong command
in my .fvwm2rc configuration file: there was a
AddToFunction instead of an AddToFunc command:

	AddToFunc SelectWindow
	+ I Focus
	+ I Iconify false
	+ I Raise

With the wrong AddToFunction command, it seems that
FVWM was executing the other three lines, which made
it wait for a mouse click.

Romildo
-- 
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias        [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:49:40 -0500

> it wait for a mouse click.

It feels so good when I guess right...

Probably it was adding those commands to InitFunction or
StartFunction which would cause a hang.