Subject: FVWM: focus of windows

From: dion king <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 21:44:07 +0800

Hi
Now, there is a small window in front of a big window.
I want to following function:
When I move the mouse over the big window,
the big window can be scrolled if I scroll the wheel of mouse. 
And the small window is still in front of the big window.

How should I set the .fvwmrc2 ??

Thank you help, and 
Merry Christmas to everyone ^_^

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 14:04:23 +0000

> How should I set the .fvwmrc2 ??

Well, if you use no configuration at all it does what you want.
If you use 2.5.x it is also always works like you want, even if you added
ClickRaises, since mouse buttons 4 and 5 don't raise a window by default.
In 2.4.x you should disable ClickRaises for your big window, like:

  Style MyBigWindow MouseFocusClickRaisesOff

Or in case you use FvwmAuto, configure it not to raise a big window.

  FvwmAuto 200 "Silent ThisWindow (!MyBigWindow) Raise"

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: dion king <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:32:44 +0800

However, I have used "Style * ClickToFocus" not "MouseFocus".
I do not want focus leave the window when mouse leave the window.

I want:
1. if mouse leave the window, the focus is still kept.
2. if mouse over other window then click left button, 
that window get the focus and raise.
3. if mouse over other window then scroll wheel up or down,
that window can be scroll and get the focus but not raise.

How to configure to bring off all above??

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 05:57:18 +0000

> I do not want focus leave the window when mouse leave the window.

I used MouseFocusClickRaises for a reason, since it is really hard to
suggest you want to scroll an unfocussed window (as with ClickToFocus).

> How to configure to bring off all above??

I may miss some option, but I think that currently it is impossible to
do what you want exactly, it is possible to tweak a bit requirements.

Currently there is FPFocusClickButtons option that configures which mouse
buttons (4, 5) should be used for raise _and_ focus on a mouse click.
So this does not quite help to have both (2) and (3). There are also
FPClickRaisesFocused and !FPClickRaisesUnfocused, but this allows you
to only produce the first scrolling without raising, the second time will
raise the window.

So, you may politely ask Dominik to add "FPRaiseClickButtons 123" option
separate from the current "FPFocusClickButtons 12345".

Or just use a modifier, like Alt to achieve (2):

  Mouse 1 W M Raise

And if you have unused thumb mouse button (number 6 or 8 with your wheels)
you may use it instead of the left mouse button to achieve (2).

  Mouse 8 W A Raise

Personally, I don't automatically raise a window on click (except for
decorations) and use Alt with mouse number 2 for raising inside a window:

  Mouse 2 W M MoveOrRaiseLower

Another possibility is to tweak your another requirement, (3). It will
scroll, but not focus. To do this, just upgrade to 2.5.5 and use a usual
ClickToFocus and ClickToFocusRaises. I am not sure it is intended to pass
mouse button 4 to an unfocussed application, but this is the current
behaviour.

Regards,
Mikhael.