Subject: FVWM: Win32-esque alt-tab behavior

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:28:24 -0500

On Win32, the alt-tab windowlist is sorted so that the most recently
focused windows are at the start of the list, e.g.:

Window 1 is focused, hit alt-tab, windows list looks like:
1 2 3 4 5
Select 4
Window 4 is focused and raised, window list is now:
4 1 2 3 5

This is very convenient when you using alt-tab to switch between a
handful of windows but have several more open.  Unfortunately, I haven't
quite been able to match this behavior in FVWM, so I'm asking for help.
 The closest I've come so far is with this:

Key Tab A   M   Prev (CurrentPage !Iconic AcceptsFocus) CirculateRaise
Key Tab	A   MS  Next (CurrentPage !Iconic AcceptsFocus) CirculateRaise

DestroyFunc CirculateRaise
AddToFunc CirculateRaise "I" FlipFocus
+ "I" Raise

Unfortunately, I can only switch between the 2 most recently focused
windows this way :)

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be great--I'll also try to explain
again if neccesary--I'm not thinking very coherently right now, and I'm
not certain how much sense I'm making, but I wanted to send a message
now before I forget about it.

Thanks,
-- 
Ben

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:01:47 -0700

> focused windows are at the start of the list, e.g.:
mabey you are looking for:

Key Tab A M WindowList CurrentAtEnd

Or are you looking for something completely different?

cya,
sa
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:17:09 +0000

> Unfortunately, I can only switch between the 2 most recently focused

Short answer, if you use Next/Prev with FlipFocus you will never be
able to switch between more than 2 last windows. Think about this.
You want a way to skip some windows, i.e. advance to them without focusing
and raising them and only focus/raise the last selected window.
This is exactly what WindowList does, so just use it with needed options.

> now before I forget about it.

Maybe you will find the FvwmProxy module (the name will be changed) in
2.5.5 useful to you. But to do what you want you should also use a new
"Key -Meta_L" functionlaty (execute command on key release) and this new
functionality is likely to be removed, since it does not work well.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:55:35 -0500

> Or are you looking for something completely different?

Hmm.  Yes, this is what I want (at least wrt window ordering)--I saw
this in the man page but for some odd reason I ended up trying it as a
style (which doesn't really make sense anyway.)  Thanks!

Well, that's a big step ahead, but this brings up a few more (relatively
minor) things that I can't seem to find anything about in the man page.
I'd prefer to have the windows temporarily raised when I cycle through
them, if possible, and I'd like to disable the temporary pointer warping
that occurs when you select a menu item with the keyboard.

Is there a way to do either of these?

Thanks again,
-- 
Ben