Subject: FVWM: Focus question

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:56:56 -0600

fvwm-2.5.5

To make sure I understand the man page and FAQ correctly:  Having

Style *	FPGrabFocus

in my .fvwm2rc allows all new windows to grab the focus, but the only
way to focus and warp the pointer to all new windows is by using
FvwmEvent (FAQ, question 3.18)?  If so, I'm a bit confused by the
``FvwmEvent-NewWindow'' syntax (I didn't see any examples of
``FvwmEvent-<foo>:'' in FvwmEvent's man page).  If I already have these
lines

AddToFunc	StartFunction
+	I	Module FvwmEvent

in my .fvwm2rc, do I need to add a line for FvwmEvent-NewWindow?

Thanks much.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:34:31 +0000

> FvwmEvent (FAQ, question 3.18)?  If so, I'm a bit confused by the

Yes, this is correct.

There is no single meaning of "warp the pointer". Some users preffer a
pointer to just to "50 50", some - to "10p 10p", and some - to "50 7p".

> ``FvwmEvent-<foo>:'' in FvwmEvent's man page).

There is an example in the fvwm man page under MODULE COMMANDS. It is your
choice how to call module aliases. NewWindowEvent would be good too.

> If I already have these lines
> 
> AddToFunc	StartFunction
> +	I	Module FvwmEvent
> 

This is exactly the case when you want to use module aliases, to run
several instances of the same module with different actions.

You may name your original instance as something like FvwmEvent-Sound.

  *FvwmEvent-Sound: iconify ding.wav

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Sound
  + I Module FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-NewWindow

Or continue to use it in a non-aliased form, just always use a
non-conflicting semicolon syntax, otherwise there will be conflicts.

  *FvwmEvent: iconify ding.wav

Regards,
Mikhael.