Subject: Re: FVWM: Blue PNGs

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 08:48:57 +0100

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:08:27PM -0800, Dorothy Robinson wrote:
> I'm attaching the configure log.  It did check for bigendian byte ordering
> after looking for png, or at least it says it did.  And yes, we have no
> Xrender. (Is it for XFree86 only?  Anyway I think rendering would cause an
> unacceptable performance hit on my poor little 330 MHz ultrasparc.)
>

I think that the latest Solaris X has Xrender. Moreover, I do not
think XRender causes performance pbs. When you have to render a png
with an alpha channel you have to know the "image" on which the png
will be applied. Without Xrender under certain condition this leads to
a XGetImage and a XPutImage and this can cause performance pbs.  With
Xrender this is done internally in the server (no communication with
the server).  So XRender speedup things even with an X driver without
special accel for it.

The following may help me:

- can you send me the output of xdpyinfo.

- do you have pbs with the icons/mini-icons provided by GNOME2
applications or/and when you load a png for using it in fvwm (e.g.,
MenuStyle * MenuFace a_png_image)?

Thanks, Olivier 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 20:31:43 +0100

On 01 December, 2002 - Olivier Chapuis sent me these 1,3K bytes:

> I think that the latest Solaris X has Xrender.

Upcoming Solaris 10, yes.

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:04:35 +0100

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:04:24PM -0800, Dorothy Robinson wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I've just compiled fvwm-2.5.4 on sparc/solaris, partly because I'm
> playing with the latest Gnome beta, and its apps close to those
> translucency-endowed png bitmaps. But fvwm doesn't render the PNGs
> right - they're in shades of blue, the translucent areas are completely
> absent, there are weird offsets and splashes of yellow where they don't
> belong.
> 

There is a hope that this is fixed now.
Can you try latest (future) snapshot fvwm-snap-20021202.tar.gz at:

   ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/snapshots

It should be up on 2002-12-02 at 13:00:00 UTC

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:00:58 -0800

Yes! That fixed it.  (The ftp server wouldn't let me connect, but the
CVS server did.)

Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> .

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dorothy Robinson
http://www.twobarleycorns.net