Subject: FVWM: FvwmPager position/geometry question

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:38:08 +0100

Hello, world!

I'm trying to set the position/geometry of the FvwmPager based on the
screens height/width. I think I need PipeRead for this but I'm afraid my
skills are not enough. :-)

I would like it too look something like this (appologies for my terrible
ascii skills :)):

                          X
    |--------------------------------------------|
    |                                            |
    |                                            |
    |                                            |
    |                                            |
    |                                            |
Y   |                                            |
    |                                            |
    |  B                                         |
    |--------------------------------------------|
  A |  1  | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  |
    |--------------------------------------------|

What I want is that there should always be 10 pages at he bottom of the
screen, so the width (B) of the pages would be X/10.

The height (A) of the pages should always be one tenth of the screens
height (Y/10).

Could someone help me out with the commands to get this setup?

Regards,

--
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:34:03 +0100

> I would like it too look something like this (appologies for my terrible

I got quite close to this with:

DeskTopSize 10x1
*FvwmPager: Geometry $[vp.width]x100+0-0

However, the $[vp.width] "overlaps" abit to te next page, why is this?

> The height (A) of the pages should always be one tenth of the screens

This is still a pussle to me, just used 100 in the above example to test
width, anyone got a solution?

Regards,

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 15:34:34 +0000

> I would like it too look something like this (appologies for my terrible

FvwmPager can't have just any arbitrary width or height.
In your case the width will always be 9 + 10 * N, for example 79 pixels,
because there are 9 separators.

Keeping this in mind, add this line to your config:

  *FvwmPager: DesktopScale 10

This makes a pager to be 9 pixels (or less) wider than needed. Not good.
I may suggest this instead:

  *FvwmPager: Geometry $[vp.width]x99

And of course:

  DesktopSize 10x1
  Style FvwmPager NoHandles, BorderWidth 0  # or non zero to fill the gap

If you need to do some calculations, I would suggest to use FvwmPerl for
this in 2.5.x, or do something like this (3 is for BorderWidth 3):

  PipeRead 'echo *FvwmPager: Geometry `expr $[vp.width] - 3 * 2`x99'

You may need to escape some chars in some cases, like `\\( 3 \\* 2 \\)`.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:45:20 +0100

> You may need to escape some chars in some cases, like `\\( 3 \\* 2 \\)`.

Thanks Mikhael!