Subject: FVWM: Color Problems

From: Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:19:07 -0800

I've previously written about this problem, but I have yet to solve it. 
 I cannot get FVWM to properly display XPM pixmaps at their original 
color depth (they appear to be at most 8-bit).  I've tried running 
2.4.13, 2.5.4, and 2.5.5, all on a Sun UltraSPARC Solaris 2.7 system.  I 
built FVWM with xpm-3.4k and libpng-1.2.5, and after running configure 
it's reported that xpm and png support was successfully included. 
 Running make and make install seem to go without a problem.  My system 
certainly supports 24-bit colordepth, as I have no problem viewing these 
XPM pixmaps with 'xv', and am able to view all PNGs with GIMP.  Am I 
overlooking something here?  Are not enough colors being allocated for 
fvwm, and if so, how can this be changed?  I should also mention that I 
am not even able to view any PNG icons with fvwm-2.5.x.  For instance, 
"Style xterm Icon dtterm.png" doesn't give me any icon, despite having 
the Imagepath pointing to the location of the png file.  Any help to 
resolve these issues is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:39:57 -0500

> resolve these issues is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Looking thru the mail archive, the last thing I see is a request
that you send the output of xdpyinfo and the PrintInfo colors
fvwm command.

Most likely your display card supports both 8 and 24 bit visuals
at the same time.  Fvwm is probably picking the 8 bit visual.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:53:50 -0800

Using the -C TrueColor option seemed to fix my pixmap problem.  I still 
cannot load PNGs though. hmmm.

Ben

---

From: Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:21:54 -0800

I take that back.  Although I can now see pixmaps in full color in fvwm, 
when I start FVWM I get a core dump, and several lines of Error Messages 
are printed to the FvwmConsole.  This also somehow prevents FvwmTaskbar 
from starting correctly.

Ben

> Using the -C TrueColor option seemed to fix my pixmap problem.  I 
> still cannot load PNGs though. hmmm.
>
> Ben
>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:32:48 -0500

> are printed to the FvwmConsole.  This also somehow prevents FvwmTaskbar 

Post the messages.

For the core file, mention the release, and if possible
provide a stack trace.  To produce the stack trace, run
this command:

dbx `which fvwm2` core

do this in the directory containing the core file.
when dbx comes up, type "where".

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:30:32 +0000

On 17 Dec 2002 12:53:50 -0800, Ben Sferrazza wrote:
> 
> I still cannot load PNGs though.

Do you have any error message in your X output?

Just to be sure, what does "fvwm-config --supports | grep png" return?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:02:59 +1100

On 12:19 17 Dec 2002, Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]> wrote:
| I've previously written about this problem, but I have yet to solve it. 
| I cannot get FVWM to properly display XPM pixmaps at their original 
| color depth (they appear to be at most 8-bit). [...snip...]

There are XPMs with more than 8-bit colour?
I'm not trying to discard your actual problem, but the above is news to me.
-- 
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [email-masked]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Engineer Dave Haynie, of Commodore and BeBox fame, talking about PC clones
and their operating systems: "Would you let a monkey drive a porsche?"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:50:42 -0500

> I'm not trying to discard your actual problem, but the above is news to me.

Almost all XPMs specify 24 bit color (#rrggbb), and it seems that the
version of libxpm that I have installed (XFree 4.2) has no problem
parsing 48 bit color (#rrrrggggbbbb) either.  If you're talking about
the number of distinct colors in an xpm file, xpm allows for more than
one character as a color specifier (e.g.: "m+ c #327E58".)

I threw a small example at http://themuffin.net/wastesedge_32x32.xpm
(since I don't want to send a 6kb attachment to everyone on the list ;)

-- 
Ben

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:06:05 +1100

On 19:50 17 Dec 2002, Ben Winslow <[email-masked]> wrote:
| Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > On 12:19 17 Dec 2002, Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]> wrote:
| > | I've previously written about this problem, but I have yet to solve it. 
| > | I cannot get FVWM to properly display XPM pixmaps at their original 
| > | color depth (they appear to be at most 8-bit). [...snip...]
| > 
| > There are XPMs with more than 8-bit colour?
| > I'm not trying to discard your actual problem, but the above is news to me.
| 
| Almost all XPMs specify 24 bit color (#rrggbb), and it seems that the
| version of libxpm that I have installed (XFree 4.2) has no problem
| parsing 48 bit color (#rrrrggggbbbb) either.

That's colour precision, not colour map size.

| If you're talking about
| the number of distinct colors in an xpm file, xpm allows for more than
| one character as a color specifier (e.g.: "m+ c #327E58".)
| I threw a small example at http://themuffin.net/wastesedge_32x32.xpm
| (since I don't want to send a 6kb attachment to everyone on the list ;)

This example file seems to contain only 244 colours.
[...digs around...] Found the XPM spec. Seems to have no colour table size
limit. I withdraw my ignorant assertion.

Cheers,

The Force. It surrounds us; It enfolds us; It gets us dates on Saturday
Nights. - Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight and Party Animal.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].