Subject: FVWM: Possible bugs in 2.5.5

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:03:58 +0000

I think there are a couple of bugs in 2.5.5.

1) The Layer command doesn't seem to be working.  The relevant bits of
   my .fvwm2rc file are

AddToFunc "Put-on-top" "I" Layer 0 6
+                      "I" RefreshWindow

AddToFunc "Put-on-bottom" "I" Layer 0 2
+                      "I" RefreshWindow

AddToFunc "Put-at-default" "I" Layer 0 4
+                      "I" RefreshWindow

Mouse 0 3    A Function "Put-on-top"
Mouse 0 5    A Function "Put-on-bottom"
Mouse 0 7    A Function "Put-at-default"

AddToMenu Window-Ops "Window Ops" Title
[snip other stuff]
+	"StayOnTop"		Put-on-top
+	"StayOnBottom"		Put-on-bottom
+	"PutBackToDefault"	Put-at-default

Neither the title bar buttons nor the menu entries change the stacking
order in 2.5.5.  These settings worked OK in earlier 2.5.x releases.

2) The transparency setting is being ignored for some title bar buttons.
   Again the relevant bits of ~/.fvwm2rc are

ButtonStyle 7 21 40x0@0 40x12@1 20x12@1 50x42@0 10x42@1 10x58@1 50x58@0 20x88@1 40x88@0 40x100@1 60x100@0 60x88@0 80x88@0 50x58@0 90x58@0 90x42@0 50x42@1 80x12@0 60x12@1 60x0@0 40x0@1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 7 ActiveDown 21 40x0@1 40x12@0 20x12@0 50x42@1 10x42@0 10x58@0 50x58@1 20x88@0 40x88@1 40x100@0 60x100@1 60x88@1 80x88@1 50x58@1 90x58@1 90x42@1 50x42@0 80x12@1 60x12@0 60x0@1 40x0@0 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 7 - MwmDecorLayer 4
ButtonStyle 9 17 5x20@1 20x20@1 35x35@0 50x35@1 65x20@1 80x20@1 80x45@0 100x45@1 100x55@0 80x55@0 80x80@0 65x80@0 50x65@0 35x65@0 20x80@0 5x80@0 5x20@1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 9 ActiveDown 17 5x20@0 20x20@0 35x35@1 50x35@0 65x20@0 80x20@0 80x45@1 100x45@0 100x55@1 80x55@1 80x80@1 65x80@1 50x65@1 35x65@1 20x80@1 5x80@1 5x20@0 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 9 - MwmDecorStick
Colorset 1 fg white, bg black, Shape, Plain, RootTransparent buffer, tint white 40
ButtonStyle 3 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 5 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 7 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 7 ToggledInactiveDown Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 9 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 0 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 8 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 6 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 4 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
ButtonStyle 2 Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
TitleStyle	Inactive Colorset 1 -- Flat
BorderStyle Inactive Colorset 1 -- HiddenHandles NoInset Flat
Mouse 0 9    A Stick toggle

With these settings, windows without the focus have translucent borders,
title bars and title bar buttons, except for button 7 which stubbonly
refuses to be drawn transparent.  I've tried playing with the line
that's got "ToggledInactiveDown" in it but can't find a setting that
gives a transparent button in this case.  Similarly, if I click button 9
to make the window sticky, button 9 isn't drawn transparent.  Maybe
the transparency is ignored for buttons which have an active MwmDecor
setting of some kind.

I've a .png file illustrating the behaviour which I can send if required
(it's about 5k in size.)

Any clues, or are these bugs?

Thanks
Richard

-- 
Richard \\\ SuperH Core+Debug Architect /// .. At home ..
  P.    /// [email-masked]  ///  [email-masked]
Curnow  \\\ http://www.superh.com/    ///  www.rc0.org.uk
Speaking for myself, not on behalf of SuperH
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:12:44 +0000

> order in 2.5.5.  These settings worked OK in earlier 2.5.x releases.

I can confirm that the Layer command does not work in cvs.

> the transparency is ignored for buttons which have an active MwmDecor

I didn't try it, but I can see possible problems with this. You don't set
transparency for all button states, so you don't have it in all cases.

For example, if you define the ToggledInactiveDown state, it does not
cover the ToggledInactiveUp state. Did you mean ToggledInactive?

You may just use AllInactive super-state that covers all inactive button
states: InactiveUp, InactiveDown, ToggledInactiveUp, ToggledInactiveDown:

  ButtonStyle 9 AllInactive Colorset 1 -- Flat

Also note that you may delete all individual button Colorset lines and use
one common ButtonStyle setting. The following line would be enough to
define transparency in all buttons (when window is inactive):

  ButtonStyle All AllInactive Colorset 1 -- Flat

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:02:18 +0000

>   ButtonStyle All AllInactive Colorset 1 -- Flat

Thanks Mikhael - replacing what I had before by that one line has solved
the problem.

The other half of my message (about the Layer command not working in
2.5.5) still stands, though.

Regards
Richard