Subject: FVWM: TaskBar and Pager together?

From: Tessa Lau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:08:06 -0500

Last night I switched from GNOME 2 (which doesn't work well with FVWM
2.5.4) to a FVWM-only solution.  The only thing I miss is the GNOME
panel.

I've configured FvwmTaskBar to do most of what I want (a few app
launchers on the left, a list of windows, and a clock on the right)
but I'd like to have it swallow a pager and a few mini apps (battery
monitor, mixer, etc.).

Is this possible with the FvwmTaskBar?  I tried using FvwmButtons as
the container instead but it wasn't able to swallow the task bar.

--Tessa
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:23:58 +0100

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:08:06AM -0500, Tessa Lau wrote:
> 2.5.4) to a FVWM-only solution.

I am not surprised that GNOME2 does not work well with FVWM. I hope
that FVWM 2.6 will work not so bad. However, can you describe the
problem you had?

> The only thing I miss is the GNOME
> panel.
>

What about running just the gnome2 panel?
 
> the container instead but it wasn't able to swallow the task bar.

No you should use FvwmIconMan in the place of FvwmTaskBar and add a
(swallowed) clock and move your task bar launchers to some new
FvwmButtons buttons. For others mini apps you should find the good
one's yourself (FvwmButtons can swallow AfterStep and WindowMaker
applets) or you can do it yourself with FvmwScript. There are a mixer
in fvwm-themes (under the script dir) and a FvwmScript battery monitor
has been send recently to this list (~ 1st december, Subject:
FvwmScript scripts eating memory).

Regards, Olivier