Subject: FVWM: {Flux,Open,Black}Box slit

From: taviso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:26:03 +0000

hi guys, im working on a fluxbox theme for fvwm, im basing it all on
this screenshot i found on freshmeat:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/screenshots/31809/

this is where ive got so far:

http://taviso.decsystem.org/2002-12-20_1024x768.png

im currently working on making FvwmButtons look like a slit (the thin
pager thing along the top, if youve never used a *Box :), but im 
finding it difficult, this is all ive done (not much) :

http://taviso.decsystem.org/slit.png

im hoping someone else has done it before and got an example configuration
they could share, but these are the problems im having..

is there a way to use vectors instead of pixmaps to draw the buttons?

in the fm screenshot the slit has "one" to name the desk, i was thinking
of using PipeRead ... `/usr/games/number $d` to get that, but its not
working very well for me :( does anyone know an easier way?

is there anyway to get the title of the active window?

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:41:16 +0000

> they could share, but these are the problems im having..

Drawing nice panels is not trivial. If it helps, take a look at this:

It is 2 years old, but Blackbox theme was not changed much in fvwm-themes
since then.

> is there a way to use vectors instead of pixmaps to draw the buttons?

Currently you may only use vectors in titlebar buttons, not FvwmButtons.

> working very well for me :( does anyone know an easier way?

You may use a new dynamical button text/icon functionality in 2.5.x.

The plan is this, define a named button in FvwmButtons using Id:

  *FvwmButtons: (Id deskname, Text zero)

Then execute: SendToModule FvwmButtons ChangeButton deskname Text one
The word "one" may be what is defined using the DesktopName command.
Here is shown how $[desk.name3] may be expanded in two steps, first "3".

  AddToFunc MyGotoDesk
  + I GotoDesk $*
  + I PipeRead `echo "SendToModule FvwmButtons ChangeButton deskname Text \
        '\$[desk.name$d]'"

So, if you use MyGotoDesk instead of GotoDesk, the "zero" in FvwmButtons
will be automatically replaced with the current desk name.

> is there anyway to get the title of the active window?

It took me some time to understand this sentense. Yes, if you use $n in
functions it will contain the current title name, placed in single quotes
with all possible single quotes in the name properly quoted.
Try in FvwmConsole: Pick Exec xmessage $n

You may add spacing in menu entries if you play with MenuStyle ItemFormat.
Also if you press Backspace in 2.5.x in menus, you will get menu title.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 04:14:49 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Mikhael Goikhman thusly...
> Drawing nice panels is not trivial. If it helps, take a look at this:
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
could you please post the world accessible url or give us access to
the relevant machine?

  - parv

--

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 08:43:31 -0500

> > Drawing nice panels is not trivial. If it helps, take a look at this:

Here's my guess:

http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/screenshots/full/blackbox.gif

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: taviso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:03:12 +0000

> It is 2 years old, but Blackbox theme was not changed much in fvwm-themes

excellent! im looking at your configuration now, its very impressive :)

> Currently you may only use vectors in titlebar buttons, not FvwmButtons.

i thought as much, im a big fan of vectors though so i figured it was
worth asking :)

> will be automatically replaced with the current desk name.

very interesting, this looks useful..thanks!

> Try in FvwmConsole: Pick Exec xmessage $n

i must have missed this in the manpage, i can see it now :)

Thanks for your help!

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:22:14 +0000

> > Drawing nice panels is not trivial. If it helps, take a look at this:

Sorry for this url. But if you checkout fvwm-themes-web (like fvwm-web)
repository from cvs, you may make this url working for you too.

> excellent! im looking at your configuration now, its very impressive :)

It is not really mine. It was submitted by Jos van Rick. See also:

  http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvanr/fvwm.html

> i thought as much, im a big fan of vectors though so i figured it was

Maybe in the future vector drawing will be separated from titlebar and it
will be possible to apply it to any colorset-ed area. But I don't think
this will be in 2.6.

Regards,
Mikhael.