Subject: FVWM: Artifacts

From: Jason White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:05:14 -0600

Greetings!

Recently I've started using themes.  I'm using a combination of theme
configs from the latest fvwm-themes and the themes-extra packages.  One
minor problem I've had are with graphical artifacts.  I'm currently
using the osx theme and the top bar will sometimes contain artifacts as
will pop-up menus.  Refreshing the screen or popping up the menu again
gets rid of them, but I'd like to prevent them in the first place.  An
example of this can be found at:
http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite/artifacts.png

Any thoughts on what might be causing these artifacts would be
appreciated.

Thank you,
-Jason

-- 
Jason White ([email-masked])  http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite
AIM:jdwhite90125  Yahoo:jdwhite89  ICQ:9295078  MSN:[email-masked]
Jabber:[email-masked]  IRC:irc.netbsd.org/{jdwhite,jdw}
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:01:29 +0000

> Any thoughts on what might be causing these artifacts would be

I can't identify anything like on the screenshot. How did you get it?
Can you post a screenshot without artifacts?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:29:43 -0600

>Can you post a screenshot without artifacts?

http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite/noartifacts.png

-- 
Jason White ([email-masked])  http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 02:03:31 +0000

> http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite/noartifacts.png

In the private message to me you said this is some GNOME panel.
I initially thought you may have problems with your X driver, but it is
most likely GTK problems, probably the osx theme engine is not perfect.
I myself have glitches with submenu triangles in GTK+-1.2 that are not
drawn correctly, they are somewhat fixed when items are activated.

Does running "xrefresh" help? Anyway, try to ask on GNOME lists.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:27:48 -0600

>In the private message to me you said this is some GNOME panel.

  Hang on....some confusion here.  I never sent you a private message on
  this.  I never mentioned anything about GNOME.  This isn't a GNOME
  applet.  This is simply an FvwmButtons bar with some swallowed
  FvwmScript applets.

  The 'artifacts.png' file should show some vertical bars through the
  "35" on left side of the image and some more in the lower right
  through "December 17".

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:21:07 +0000

>   Hang on....some confusion here.  I never sent you a private message on

Sorry then, please be a bit more verbose so no confusion is possible. :)
I get dozens of messages daily, it is easy to make a mistake.
Someone (not you) sent me this private message:

  i recently installed a osx-like machine for someone here at the office,
  using gnome 1.4 and sawfish from slackware 8.1, and i had the same.
  may be it's a GTK problem with background images.

So I thought it was your reply to my question "How did you get it?"
and thus you use the same panel as you installed for someone else.

>   applet.  This is simply an FvwmButtons bar with some swallowed

Ok, so all of these applets that are on the screenshot are your own.
If you think they may be useful for someone else, send them to us.
fvwm-themes-0.6.2 already includes your FvwmApplet-APMMon, but it is not
used yet anywhere.

>   "35" on left side of the image and some more in the lower right

Can you send your full FvwmButtons configuration and the applets that
generate these "35" and "December 17" strings?

Which fvwm and fvwm-themes versions do you use?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:12:09 -0600

>I get dozens of messages daily, it is easy to make a mistake.

  Understood.

>>   This is simply an FvwmButtons bar with some swallowed
>>   FvwmScript applets.
>

  The APMMon is mine, yes.  I've since created an enhanced version that
also uses pixmaps to show images.  I've also created the WLANMon applet
which shows the signal strength on your wireless device.  Also have the
applet that shows volume level.  These applets were inspired by OSX and
the images uses are taken from screenshots from OSX provided by a
friend, cropped and touched up by me.  I'm hesitant to release the
images because I'm unsure of the legality of distributing those images.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

  The WLANMon applet and the VolStatus applets mostly just show status
at this point -- not much else.  I would like to have the WLANMon applet
display a list of WLAN related actions and the VolStatus applet to call
a mixer.  Ideally I'd like to be able to left click on the icon to lower
the volume and right-click to raise.  Unfortunately, FvwmScript only
seems to recognize that a click event has been made and not
differentiate between types of clicks.  I also thought that I could
control volume using mouse actions from FvwmButtons, but it would seem
that the FvwmScript applet grabs the click events before FvwmButtons --
FvwmButtons doesn't "see" them.

>generate these "35" and "December 17" strings?

  The "35" is from a temperature status applet I wrote.  Attached.
  "December 17" is a modified FvwmApplet-DigiClock.  Also attached.

>Which fvwm and fvwm-themes versions do you use?

  Fvwm-2.4.14.  fvwm-themes-0.6.2 with fvwm-themes-extra-0.6.0 for the
  base osx theme bits.

  Here's another example of artifacts I'm seeing:
    http://www.jdwhite.org/~jdwhite/artifact2.png

  I only ever see this on windows/apps that are using the white/grey
  line background pixmap from the osx theme such as the menubar and the
  menus.  Been using fvwm for ages and hadn't seen this behavior prior
  to using the osx theme.  Interestingly enough, my wife (also using
  this theme) has yet to see any artifacts, so it's probably something
  unique to my X setup.