Subject: FVWM: CVS Next is annoying

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:09:26 -0500

hey. I remember some change being made to the Next and Prev commands,
and every since then they've been annoying.

my alt-tab command:
Key Tab   A    M    Next [CurrentPage !iconic] FocusRaise

my whole .fvwm2rc file:
www.uoguelph.ca/~pmcalpin/pub/fvwm/my.fvwm2rc

Sometimes alt-tab works ok, and sometimes it leaves windows out of the
cycle. I've found that the cycle just stops at xclock and Gaim. There
are probably other that block the cycle, as well, but I haven't
noticed what they are yet.

thanks,
Peter
-- 
Peter McAlpine
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:36:46 +0100

> noticed what they are yet.

This isn't new.  The xclock window does not want to be focused and
thus stops the cycle.  You can either force it to accept the
focus:

  Style xterm Lenience

Or skip windows that do not want to be focused:

That problem has been around for a long time
Yeah, but I believe it's not the change I made to "Next" but the
bug with the "Key" command that causes it to work like
"Pointerkey".  I have fixed this with my latest commit.  If the
problem still does not go away, please report back.

  Key Tab A M Next (CurrentPage, acceptsfocus, !iconic) FocusRaise

(Note that the syntax with conditions in brackets and separated
with spaces will probably be removed in 3.0).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:36:37 -0500

> with spaces will probably be removed in 3.0).

gotcha, but what should I change this to then?

thanks,
peter

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:35:31 +0100

> gotcha, but what should I change this to then?

Just look at the example I sent:

Enclose them in parentheses and use commas to separate them.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:19:51 -0500

>   Key Tab A M Next (CurrentPage, acceptsfocus, !iconic) FocusRaise

thanks, I missed that...

I updated/built/installed my cvs source, but the problem still
exists. I've figured out when/what happens:
1) open up 2 or more windows (I do it with emacs and rxvt, but I don't
think it matters)
2) have the two windows overlap in some parts of the screen, and not
overlap in other parts

and here's the behavior:
**** have the pointer in an area that they ALL overlap or an area that
     NONE of them occupy == cycle no problem

**** have the pointer in an area that only one of them occupy == raise
     next but then stop cycling, and it will never raise the window
     that the pointer is over

ok... now I've really got it figured out... try the above 2 as
examples... but here's the rule it seems to be following:

cycle until a window is selected that does not have the pointer on
it
***AND***
if the pointer isn't on any window, then cycle no problem.

I'm using the ClickToFocus style. my whole .fvwm2rc file is @:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~pmcalpin/pub/fvwm/my.fvwm2rc

l8r,
Peter

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:16:34 +0100

> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~pmcalpin/pub/fvwm/my.fvwm2rc

Should be better now.

Please keep messages about problems in the unstable versions on
the fvwm-workers list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^