Subject: FVWM: Is there any placement style that means "always in center of screen"?

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:59:06 -0500

I just read the "Window Manager placement" subsection of the Style
command section in the man page, and I can't see a way to tell FVWM to
always place new windows in the center of the screen.

Is there any way to configure FVMW to do that?
--
Francis Litterio
[email-masked]
http://world.std.com/~franl/
GPG and PGP public keys available on keyservers.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 04:48:24 +0000

> always place new windows in the center of the screen.

There is no such placement policy currently.

A good solution would be FvwmPlacement module for all the fancy placement
policies like CenterPlacement, ConstantPlacement, UnderCursorPlacement.
But unfortunately a smooth effect is not possible without a change to the
module interface. Currently fvwm places a window itself and only then a
module may change its position.

> Is there any way to configure FVMW to do that?

See FAQ #3.18 and #7.14 to get an idea how to do this for some or all
windows. I hope you may combine these two into one solution yourself.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:35:12 -0500

> windows. I hope you may combine these two into one solution yourself.

Mikhael,

Based on your advice, I was able to make new FVWM-placed windows appear
in a consistent location (though not exactly centered on the screen)
with this code in my .fvwm2rc file:

	DestroyFunc MyCenterWindow
	AddToFunc MyCenterWindow
	+ I WindowId $0 (PlacedByFvwm) Move 25 25

	*FvwmEvent: StartDelay 5
	*FvwmEvent: Cmd
	*FvwmEvent: PassID
	*FvwmEvent: add_window "Function MyCenterWindow"

Thanks!