Subject: FVWM: transparency/alphablending in 2.5.4

From: Klaus Umbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:59:31 +0100

Hello,
How can I configure the transparency in 2.5.4, I cannot find anything in
the man page. I'm working on an OS-X Aqua theme, so it would be cool if I
could build in some tranclucent titlebars and menus or at least the round
corners.

You can see my current screenshot at
http://doppelhertz.homelinux.org/screenshot.png

Klaus

-- 
5) People say Linux is ugly. How does that make you feel?
Torvalds: They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
	  Let's see just how ugly they think it is when they have a few
	  bulletholes in them.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:05:23 +0000

> could build in some tranclucent titlebars and menus or at least the round

Learn about new colorset features from the man pages of fvwm and FvwmTheme
(but don't really use this module in 2.5.x). And NEWS, of course.

No round corners (or even colorsets) in titlebars in 2.5.4 yet.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:28:38 +0100

> could build in some tranclucent titlebars and menus or at least the round

There is no translucent colorset in fvwm because X does not allow
it (it will be possible to implement translucent menu but this is
not implemented and I do not think it will be in a near future).

However, you have the Transparent Colorset option:

Colorset 5 fg white, fgsh black, bg grey50, Transparent

To get transparent menus: 

   MenuStyle * MenuColorset 5, Font "shadow=1 all:a font"

You can try to tint:

Colorset 5 tint black 15

but this is slow. To get fast tinting you should use

Colorset 5 RootTransparent buffer

in the place of Transparent. But you should use an Esetroot
compatible program to set your bg (fvwm-root --retain-pixmap).

The transparent colorset is not usable with title bar (and will be
never), but in a near future you will be able.to use RootTransparent.

The RootTransparent colorset is not documented in 2.5.4 because
it was not fully implemented. It is in the current cvs.

Regards, Olivier