Subject: FVWM: Icon question

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:55:28 -0600

fvwm-2.5.4

I've been trying to rearrange my fvwm configuration so that .fvwm2rc
essentially has a PipeRead command that looks for and reads any files it
finds with a certain extension.  Carrying this over to menu
configuration, I tried having one file per application and having in
each file both Style information and an entry to add it to the menu.
What happens is PipeRead reads in, for example, mail.men first then
term.men --- with the first file having information for mutt (which is
running inside an xterm) and the second for xterm.  The problem is that
since term.men gets read secondly, its ``Style XTerm Icon terminal.png''
overrides the ``Style mutt Icon mutt.png'' command, even though the
window containing mutt has ``mutt'' as its title --- not ``xterm.''  If
I rename the files so that term.men gets read first (by prepending a
zero to the file name), then mutt has the icon it's supposed to have.
Is there a way to ensure that a window will have the ``right'' icon,
regardless of the order in which fvwm reads its Style command?

Thanks for any help.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:43:26 +0100

> regardless of the order in which fvwm reads its Style command?

No.  The last issued style command always wins.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:53:27 -0600

> No.  The last issued style command always wins.

OK.  But why does mutt ``inherit'' xterm's icon when the window titles
are different?  Doing an xwininfo on mutt's window shows its title to be
``mutt'' and there is no mention of xterm in xwininfo's output.

Thanks.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:03:14 +0100

> ``mutt'' and there is no mention of xterm in xwininfo's output.

Because it runs in an terminal which has the class "XTerm".  Run
FvwmIdent on the mutt window to see it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 04:24:52 -0600

> FvwmIdent on the mutt window to see it.

And there's no way to force the class to some other value?

Thanks.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:34:34 +0100

> And there's no way to force the class to some other value?

According to the xterm man page, the class can be set with the
-class option and the resource name can be set with -name.  But
that does not mean your xterm or whatever terminal you are using
supports that too.  Try

  $ xterm -class mutt -name mutt -e mutt

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:07:17 -0600

>   $ xterm -class mutt -name mutt -e mutt

Thanks.  Setting the -class option alone did the trick.  I'll try to be
more thorough in my man page reading before posting next time.