Subject: FVWM: Can't install PNG support into FVWM -- Please help.

From: Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:51:54 -0800

Hi,

I'm trying to build fvwm-2.5.4 on a Solaris box, and am running into
problems making files
for png support.  I have untar'ed and uncompressed the fvwm files into a
directory, with the xpm
and png libraries one directory up.  Configure seems to run without a
hitch.

./configure --prefix=/lsi/home/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4
--with-xpm-library=../xpm-3.4k-solaris/lib
--with-xpm-includes=../xpm-3.4k-solaris/include
--with-png-library=../libpng-1.2.5/lib
--with-png-includes=../libpng-1.2.5/include

But when I do 'make' after the configure, I get the following error:

gcc
-DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/lsi/home/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4/libexec/fvwm/2.5.4\"
-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/lsi/home/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4/share/fvwm\"
-DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/lsi/home/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4/etc\"
-DFVWM_COLORSET_PRIVATE=1 -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit-int
-L../xpm-3.4k-solaris -R../xpm-3.4k-solairs -L../libpng-1.2.5
-R../libpng-1.2.5 -o fvwm  menus.o style.o events.o move_resize.o
add_window.o  builtins.o borders.o icons.o fvwm.o module_interface.o
frame.o  virtual.o stack.o ewmh.o menustyle.o session.o colorset.o
placement.o  functions.o gnome.o focus.o conditional.o geometry.o
ewmh_events.o  windowlist.o menuitem.o ewmh_icons.o decorations.o
update.o expand.o  misc.o functable.o bindings.o cursor.o colormaps.o
ewmh_conf.o  modconf.o read.o menucmd.o ewmh_names.o icccm2.o
schedule.o  windowshade.o focus_policy.o repeat.o execcontext.o colors.o
menudim.o -L../libs -lfvwm  -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
-L../xpm-3.4k-solaris/lib -lXpm      -lSM -lICE  -lXext -lX11
-lsocket  -lnsl -lm     -lpng -lz
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
png_set_gray_1_2_4_to_8
../libs/libfvwm.a(PictureImageLoader.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to fvwm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `fvwm'
Current working directory
/lsi/vp/spiderman/user/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4/fvwm
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /lsi/vp/spiderman/user/bsferraz/bin/fvwm-2.5.4

*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'

I've tried changing the LDFLAGS variable as suggested in the
INSTALL.fvwm file, but this doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

---

From: Ben Sferrazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:53:31 -0800

I was able to install it without a problem now.  Seems changing my paths
(for the libraries and includes) to absolute paths from relative paths made
the difference.  I'm surprised this would be the cause of my error, but it's
something to think about for others having problems installing.

Ben