Subject: FVWM: Transience Question

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:55:51 -0600

fvwm-2.5.4
kcalc, from kdeutils-2.2.1

Before switching to fvwm, I got used to kcalc in kde.  In kde kcalc has
buttons like non-transients (minimize, close).  In fvwm, however, kcalc
gets a title bar but no minimize button --- even with DecorateTransient
in my ~/.fvwm2rc.  I've noticed this same behavior with kcalc and xfce
(which is and/or was based on fvwm code).  Is there any way to force
kcalc to appear as non-transient to fvwm?

Thanks for any help.

-- 
Norvell Spearman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:48:14 +0000

> kcalc to appear as non-transient to fvwm?

This is because you have either MwmFunctions or MwmDecor in your config,
both disable a corresponding button if an application asks for this. Do:

  Style kcalc NoFuncHint, NoDecorHint

You may report to kcalc developers that marking kcalc transient and
setting mwm hints is unjustified and bad for a user. How is it in KDE 3?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:47:40 +0100

> kcalc to appear as non-transient to fvwm?

It isn't transient, it requests that it does not want to be
minimized.  Try

  Style * NoFuncHint

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Norvell Spearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 02:13:26 -0600

> This is because you have either MwmFunctions or MwmDecor in your config,

True:  MwmDecor

>   Style kcalc NoFuncHint, NoDecorHint

Did it and it works perfectly now.  Thanks very much.  I had tried some
related Style options, but must not have read the man page carefully
enough.

> setting mwm hints is unjustified and bad for a user. How is it in KDE 3?

I haven't yet tried KDE 3, so I don't know.  After switching back to
fvwm, I'm hoping to avoid KDE 3 :-).

The only reason I prefer kcalc over xcalc is how kcalc's Backspace
erases the last-entered digit of a number, as opposed to xcalc's
clearing of all the digits.

Thanks again and take it easy.

-- 
Norvell Spearman