Subject: FVWM: Is there any possibility to get the Pagenumber on which a program is running

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:39:22 +0100

I want to implement a Session Manager for a program with a lot of windows,
so that all windows are on the same pages, when i have shutdown fvwm2 and
restarted it.
So is there any possibility to get the Number of the page from within a
C-program for some WindowWidget.
By the way I'am using Xt and Motif.

sincerely Borg Enders
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:20:42 +0100

> By the way I'am using Xt and Motif.

Fvwm implements page numbers by putting windows of high x/y
coordinates.  For example, if you have a 1024x768 destop and you
view page 0 0, a window on page 1 1 has x = x_on_that_page + 1024
and y = y_on_that_page + 768.  In other words:  you don't even
have to think about page numbers in a session manager, you get
that for free.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 03:26:30 +0000

> By the way I'am using Xt and Motif.

I think you want in your program to force some placement of your
application windows. I don't think this is what users (at least some of
them) want.

You may make your program session management aware by using libSM.
Then hopefully the last used place will be used for your windows by a
compliant window manager when run under a session manager.

Or you may just let the user to decide where windows of your application
will be placed by not doing anything special. Then a user (if he wants)
may just define:

  Style YourApp StartsOnPage 1 2
  Style YourApp CascadePlacement

Regards,
Mikhael.