Subject: FVWM: MouseFocusClickRaises and mouse bindings on lower windows

From: Tom Alsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:54:31 +0200

Hi there.

I recently built a new version of FVWM, updated yesterday from CVS
(FVWM 2.5.5 from CVS).

I have the following in my .fvwm2rc:

<snip>
	DestroyFunc	MoveOrRaise
	AddToFunc	MoveOrRaise
		+ I Raise
		+ M Move
		+ D WindowShade

	# Alt+Click should raise, Alt+Drag should raise and move:
	Mouse	1	FWST	M	MoveOrRaise
</snip>

It used to be so that with those lines, when clicking on a window with
the left mouse button and the Meta key pressed, the window would
raise, not getting the mouse event, and when dragging a window with
the left mouse button and the Meta key pressed, the window would raise
and move, not getting the mouse event.

Now, since the upgrade of FVWM, this does not work so anymore, if the
window is not already raised.

Now if the window is not already raised, when clicking on a window
with the left mouse button and the Meta key pressed, the window
raises, but gets the mouse event as well (for example, XTerm beeps).

When dragging a window with the left mouse button and the Meta key
pressed, if the window is not already raised, it is raised, but not
moved, and gets the event.  If the window is already raised, it moves
and does not get the event.

I noticed that when removing the following line from my .fvwm2rc, this
behaviour is fixed:

<snip>
	# Click to raise:
	Style	*	MouseFocusClickRaises
</snip>

But I do want windows which are clicked on to raise, in addition to
getting the event, if the Meta key is not pressed when clicking on
them.

I checked in the ChangeLog, and saw one thing regarding
MouseFocusClickRaises.
I also checked in the fvwm(1) manual page, and I see that many new
style directives for focus policies were added.  Maybe the semantics
for old styles have changed a bit as well, but I couldn't figure out
what it is exactly.

I tried playing somewhat with the new FP... styles, but did not manage
to get the previous behaviour.

The FPClickRaisesFocused style did not seem to work for me - the
windows were not raised when clicked on.

I also have the SloppyFocus style on all windows.

Any idea why the old behaviour does not work anymore, or how I can get
it again?

  Thanks, any help appreciated,
  -- Tom

-- 
  Tom Alsberg - certified insane, complete illiterate.
        e-mail: <[email-masked]>
	Homepage: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/
  * An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 17:11:25 +0100

> for old styles have changed a bit as well, but I couldn't figure out

When I rewrote the focus related options I could not avoid
changing the default behaviour in some situations.

> Any idea why the old behaviour does not work anymore, or how I can get

It does not work anymore because I took the opportunity to clean
up the "click to raise" handling.  While some focus policies
worked with any modifier held down when clicking to raise, others
required that no modifier was held.  I thought it would be good to
ignore the modifier by default.  You can get the old behaviour
with

  Style * FPFocusClickModifiers N

or

  FocusStyle * FocusClickModifiers N

I am unsure if I should try to fix the defaults for MouseFocus and
Sloppy Focus.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].