Subject: FVWM: immobile windows

From: Stephen Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:34:36 -0400 (EDT)

I tried to be as detailed as possible so bare with me...

This is what happens:
	I'm using X for a while, but then I need to get up and walk away
from the machine for whatever reason.  So I call xlock (or maybe it's
xlockmore...) to lock my screen, then I get up and walk away.  If I'm away
for more than say 15 minutes, the machine goes into power save.  When I
return, I move the mouse, the system comes back up (when I say power save,
I just mean the monitors go blank [instead of displaying the xmatrix
screensaver from xlock]) and I need to enter my password to use the
machine.  I type in my password, the screen saver goes away, and I can
continue working.  There is one problem however, I can't move any of the
windows via clicking the titlebar and dragging, via a mouse binding I
added for holding alt and clicking anywhere on the window, or by using the
Fvwm Window-Ops menu that was a part of a .fvwm2rc that I copied into
mine.  When I move the mouse to the edge of the window, I cannot resize
the window either.
It seems as though the only way that I can resize or move the windows is
by clicking in the icon in the upper left corner of the titlebar (i forget
which one or number corresponds to the position) that calls a function
nearly identical to Window-Ops called Window-Ops2 (the only difference
being no Title section in the Window-Ops2) and using the "Move" selection
from it.

Interestingly enough, another solution is by running timetool, selecting a
day at least one day past the current and applying the change so that the
display resets(ie both monitors blink off momentarily and then come back
on).  Sometimes changing the hour is enough, but it has to be a future
time.  Changing it to a time in the past will not let me move windows
regardless as to whether or not the change caused the displays to reset.
Also if I have to do this several times in a day, I have to move it at
least one day past the currently displayed day as opposed to the real day.

The details:
RedHat 7.3
Fvwm2 v 2.4.6 on an i386ish machine
Dual Monitor display, (2 old and crappy diamond something cards)
Running XFree86 (v. whatever came with redhat 7.3)
Starting x with the command: startx --+xinerama

Key bindings from .fvwm2rc:
Mouse 1 TS N Move-or-Resize
Mouse 1 FSTW A Move-or-Resize

AddToFunc Move-or-Raise "I" Raise
+ "M" Move
+ "D" Lower

AddToMenu Window-Ops2 "Move" Move
+ "Resize" Resize
.
.
.

Oh, and no, the num-lock, caps-lock, etc keys are not pressed.

I forget the name of the utility I ran to see if any of the modifier keys
were being pressed, but there were none 'stuck'

ANY help would be appreciated, my apologies if there are inconsistencies
in the details provided, it would be impossible to take the machine with
the problems online or transfer any software from it to a computer that
does have an internet connection (ie I can't post the .fvwm2rc file or
give detailed output for commands run.)

--s.r.d.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 13:07:22 +0200

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:34:36PM -0400, Stephen Dennison wrote:
> machine.

That's the screen saver built in into X.  It might interfere with
xlock too.  Disable it with

  xset s off

in your ~/.xinitrc.

> I type in my password, the screen saver goes away, and I can
> continue working.

The X screen saver does not handle passwords, so I assume you
typed it into xlock.

> There is one problem however, I can't move any of the

Interesting.  Fvwm relies heavily on a consistent X server time.
Events that are older than 30 seconds (I think) may be ignored.
My guess is that some application that is somehow related with
screen saving screws the system clock or the X server clock.

Try killing all these funny applications that might grab the
pointer.  If

  Mouse 1 FSTW A Move-or-Resize" 
              ^^^

does not work, fvwm does not get any input from the mouse at all.

[snip]

> Mouse 1 TS N Move-or-Resize
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This binding is completely overridden by the next one.

> give detailed output for commands run.)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].