Subject: FVWM: Invoking gnome-terminal from from menus

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:30:23 +0200 (CEST)

I have the following script to start a terminal, it permits to set an env
variable and provides some fallbacks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

if [ -n "$TERMINAL" ]; then
    `$TERMINAL` $* >/dev/null 2>@1
elif [ `which gnome-terminal` ]; then
    gnome-terminal --start-factory-server --use-factory -t "Terminal" $*
>/dev/null 2>@1
elif [ `which rxvt` ]; then
    rxvt -t Terminal $* > /dev/null 2>@1
else
    xterm -t Terminal $* > /dev/null 2>@1
fi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I start gnome-terminals via FvwmConsole using the command line:
gnome-terminal --start-factory-server --use-factory -t "Terminal"

those terminals will share the same process (as inteded).
But if I use the script tried both in a menu and using FvwmConsole, the
terminals start in their own processes. There is a process called
"gnome-pty-helper"

Anyone have an idea?
(I would like to be able to use this script to increase the portability of
my configuration)

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:50:37 +0000

> variable and provides some fallbacks.

I just tried this myself and indeed, it works when called gnome-terminal
directly and does not work when called from the script. But this has
nothing to do with FVWM. Try to run this script from the command line
and you will see the same results.

You may eliminate one process by prefixing all terminal programs with
"exec" like "exec gnome-terminal --start-factory-server --use-factory".
But this does not solve the original problem. Please report to GNOME
folks.

Regards,
Mikhael.