Subject: FVWM: font encodin error

From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:25:21 +0200

Hi,

I have the following situation. In /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc I have:

Style "default-style" Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-16

MenuStyle "*" mwm, Foreground black, Background grey, Greyed white, \
  Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-16

among others.

In ~/.xsession-errors I have:

| [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset '-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-16', trying '-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
| [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-16]:The following charsets are missing:
|  ISO8859-2

and the menus are with 
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-101-100-100-c-0-iso8859-1 font.

I replaced -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-16
with -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-101-100-100-c-0-iso8859-16 in
/etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc and restarted fvwm.

Now I get this error in ~/.xsession-errors:

| [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-101-100-100-c-0-iso8859-16', trying '-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
| [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-101-100-100-c-0-iso8859-16]:The following charsets are missing:
|  ISO8859-2

I have to mention that I have all that *iso8859-16 fonts (for example I
can open an xterm with that font; xlsfont is also listing it).

Why I get those errors, and how can I use my fonts in fvwm?

I run Debian woody (3.0) and the fvwm version is 2.4.6-2.

On another systems I run fvwm 2.2.4-2 because I can't upgrade to
2.4.6-2. And the old version cause conflicts with xlibs, so each time
I use apt-get install or dselect to install new packages I have to
manually downgrade fvwm.

On the new system I can't downgrade fvwm because I don't have the
*.deb file for an older xlibs.

Please help me out with this error, so I can use fvwm 2.4.6-2 on all my
systems.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
        Ionel
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:35:18 +0200

> 2.4.6-2.

Why can't you upgrade?

> And the old version cause conflicts with xlibs, so each time

Dump the debian fvwm package, download the latest stable fvwm
tarball (fvwm-2.4.12) and build and install it locally without the
--enable-multibyte option when running configure.  Although multi
byte font support is marked as experimental in 2.4.x, several
distributions ship with multibyte enabled versions.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:41:14 +0200

> > On another systems I run fvwm 2.2.4-2 because I can't upgrade to

Because I get the same errors (fixed font not found) and X server will
not let me in.
> distributions ship with multibyte enabled versions.

I see. I will try this. Thank you.

Ionel

---

From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:47:07 +0200

> I see. I will try this. Thank you.

It is working. Thank you for your help.
I am going to upgrate the other systems as well.

Ionel