Subject: FVWM: Problems installing fvwmthemes

From: André Bonhôte <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 13:32:03 +0200

Hi there!

Well, I am probably wrong here, but since I am subscribed to this list
only, I think I'll get the fastest response here.

I am trying to install fvwm2 with fvwm-themes on a redhat 8.0. At the
beginning, I tried the newest 2.4.18 with 0.6.1 (latest). The error
message was:

(make install runs fine to this point)
...
/usr/local/bin/fvwm-themes-config --site --reset
Warning: unknown entry [t0c0], ignoring...
Incorrect line key value, not enough +'s
make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andre/build/fvwm-themes-base-0.6.0'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andre/build/fvwm-themes-base-0.6.0'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Bang. The same happened with a 2.4.8 and 0.6.0 and combinations.

What's wrong there?

TIA

André

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:05:01 +0000

> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

This does not look like you install fvwm-themes-0.6.1.

It means there is "[t0c0]" and other garbage in some of the .cfg file.
I have no any idea how such garbage would slip to the package. Trojan? :)

I don't know what to suggest here. Can you debug this problem?

> Bang. The same happened with a 2.4.8 and 0.6.0 and combinations.

Did you try to install the rpms we have on our site?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:38:55 +0200

> This does not look like you install fvwm-themes-0.6.1.

Yeah, sorry, it's the copy/paste of 0.6.0. But 0.6.1 looks quite
similar, if not 100% same.
 
> I have no any idea how such garbage would slip to the package. Trojan?

Where is this cfg? I currently don't have my notebook with me (going to
austria to have some relaxing holidays, *yippie*), and I can't check,
but if you give me a hint?
 
> I don't know what to suggest here. Can you debug this problem?

I will try. My wife won't like me to sit in front of the PC too much ...
Maybe in two weeks or so. Better late than never.
 
> Did you try to install the rpms we have on our site?

No. There's one reason for this: Since my ol' SuSE 5.x, I didn't work
with fvwm's RPMS. I always wanted to compile it myself. Now, it's almost
the same with fvwm-themes. It's just too kewl to be installed with an
RPM. Weird it sounds, but it's like that.

Thanks!

CU 
André

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:31:01 +0000

> but if you give me a hint?

This slipped garbage hypothesis does not sound realistic to me, but
if we go for it, it may be in any .cfg file.

  % grep t0c0 `find /usr/local/share/fvwm/themes -name '*.cfg' -print`
  % grep t0c0 `find $FVWM_USERDIR/themes -name '*.cfg' -print`

Actually --site reduces this to the first place only and --reset reduces
this to the default theme only.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: George Avrunin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:38:44 -0400

I'm having the same problem as Andre Bonhote on Red Hat 8.0:  I get
the following behavior:

[root@ext2 themes]# fvwm-themes-config --site --reset
Warning: unknown entry [t0c0], ignoring...
Incorrect line key value, not enough +'s

This happens with the fvwm-themes rpms from sourceforge, with ones
I've built form the tarball, and with installation directly from the
tarball.  A "grep -r t0c0" in the fvwm directory isn't showing
anything.  I'm using fvwm-2.4.12.  

I looked through the part of fvwm-themes-config where the warning is,
but my perl isn't good enough for me to know where to stick in some
useful debugging statements.  Any suggestions would be very welcome!
(I don't want to use Red Hat's metastasize WM!!)

  George 

-- 
George Avrunin                         413-545-4251, 413-545-0510 (voice)
Dept. of Mathematics                   413-545-1801 (fax)
University of Massachusetts            [email-masked]
Amherst, MA  01003                     http://www.math.umass.edu/~avrunin/
USA
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 04:48:29 +0000

On 13 Oct 2002 21:38:44 -0400, George Avrunin wrote:
> 
> I'm having the same problem as Andre Bonhote on Red Hat 8.0

If you or someone else create me a user on your system I will fix this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:43:11 +0000

> Incorrect line key value, not enough +'s

Ok, after some debugging, I see what happens. And what I see is pretty
oppressing. With unicode locale and perl-5.8.0, but not perl-5.6.0, the
first lc("theme") returns "t0c0".

This is weird, because: 1) the same lc("theme") returns "theme" later,
2) I can't create a minimal perl script reproducing this problem,
3) I can't see how lc("theme") may become "t0c0" even with unicode.

My current hypothesis is a bug in perl-5.8.0, I am checking this.

Anyway, here is a workaround. Replace "lc($1)" with "$1" in
fvwm-themes-config[.in]. Another possibility is to run under older perl
or under non-unicode locale, so the following should work:

  env LANG=C make install

I can't guarantee that the rest will work though (try it) if there is
such fundamental bug.

Regards,
Mikhael.