Subject: FVWM: fvwm and xmms

From: "Philippe.Dumont" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 16:13:18 +0200

Hi,

I try to use xmms with StartsOnPage and SkipMapping but it doesn't work.
I have tryed several possibilities in my .fvwm2rc, but i didn't succeed

Style  XMMS       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping
Style  "XMMS"       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping
Style  "XMMS*"       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping
Style  "*XMMS"       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping
Style  "*XMMS*"       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping

Fvwm Version : 2.4.12
Xmms Version : 1.2.7
Os : Slackware 8.0 or Gentoo 1.4

Regards,

philippe

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:31:23 +0200

> Style  "*XMMS*"       StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping

You don't need the double quotes unless the name contains
whitespace.

> Os : Slackware 8.0 or Gentoo 1.4

Yes, that is xmms' fault.  It forces its window on screen no
matter what the user wants.  Don't hesitate to bother the xmms
developers with yet another bug report.  Maybe one day they will
regain their senses.  Xmms is the application that causes the most
"bug" reports on this list.

Anyway, with the latest (very unstable) fvwm-2.5.x version you can
prevent xmms from moving its windows:

  Style XMMS StartsOnPage 0 0 2, SkipMapping, FixedPPosition

(Actually, xmms was one of the main reasons why I made the
FixedPPosition style).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:35:31 -0700

Dominik,

  * <[email-masked]> [22-Oct-02 07:31 -0700]:
  >(Actually, xmms was one of the main reasons why I made
  >the FixedPPosition style).

man fvwm2 did not tell me much about FixedPPosition - what
does that do?

Also, I have this problem .. I do smart placement of my
windows, and when I place xmms, it behaves weirdly: first a
little 4-arrow cursor appears (sort of like the cross),
which I must click, and only then does the xmms outline
appear which I can place. Have you come accross this
problem?  As this does not happen with anything else I use,
I am not willing to blame it on fvwm :), but maybe you
happened to come accross some workaround for this?

denis

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:59:31 +0200

>From the 2.5.x man page:

  FixedPPosition and FixedPSize make fvwm ignore attempts of the
  program to move or resize its windows.

I hope that is clear enough?  Better wordings are always welcome.
I'm a mathematician and can't talk or write like anybody else :-)

> happened to come accross some workaround for this?

Two aside notes first:  it would be helpful to start a new mail
thread for a new topic.  That saves me some time managing my
notoriously overflowing inbox (200+ mails).  Just a friendly
request.  And please always mention which fvwm version you are
using.  From the rest of the thread it's not obvious to me wether
you are still using 2.4.x or have upgraded to 2.5.x.

The crosshair cursor indicates that fvwm needs a window to operate
on and asks the user to select one.  With your description, I get
no crosshair cursor.  Please send me your .fvwm2rc file and I will
try again.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^