Subject: FVWM: transparent xterms

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:41:29 -0500

hi,

I'm wondering about getting my terms to be transparent. I use
gnome-terminal (but have no problem using xterm if it works better),
and when I set the background to transparent, it's just black. I use
qiv to set my background, and I heard that it sets the background by
just making a window the size of the screen, which may be fooling
gnome-terminal... anyway... what's the easiest (and I suppose most
fvwm P.C.) way to set the background? And after I do that, what steps
need to be taken to set up transparency on my terms?

-Peter
-- 
Peter McAlpine
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

> need to be taken to set up transparency on my terms?

Remember this part I sent you the other day?

AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I Exec Esetroot -f /usr/share/pixmaps/vpm_wp_01_1024.jpg &
+ I Exec Eterm -g 26x21+0+552 -F 5x7 -O -T XMessages -e tail -f $HOME/.X.err

That's what I use.  Esetroot to set the background image and an Eterm with
the -O option (man Eterm gives an explanation).
It's really a pseudo-transparency, but it works well enough for this.
I think aterm also has a transparency option.

That reminds me, though...
I guess I should go ahead and ask the mailing list the stupid question of
How can I make this particular instance of Eterm appear with no titles?
I want the other Eterms to have the normal decorations, but I'd like THIS
instance to be NoTitle, NoHandles, etc.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.

---

From: Glyn Millington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:32:34 +0100

> instance to be NoTitle, NoHandles, etc.

I may have misunderstood the question, but isn't one way to use the
"name" option, assuming term has it or something similar.

eg for rxvt

rxvt  -bg midnightblue -fg cornflowerblue -fn 10x20 +sb -name gterm

Put this wherever you want it in your key or menu sections. 

Then you can set style options for gterm. 

Style "gterm" notitle,  nohandles, BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3

or whatever!!
hth

Glyn