Subject: FVWM: Re: Colormap issues

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 04:28:56 -0500 Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> 
> CVSROOT:        /home/cvs/fvwm
> Module name:    fvwm
> Changes by:     olicha  02/10/04 04:28:56
> 
> Modified files:
>         .              : ChangeLog 
>         fvwm           : fvwm.c 
>         libs           : PictureUtils.c 
> 
> Log message:
> * Fixed the visual option
> * Some colors table visual fixes
> * Used a better color approximation for colors cubes when we do not dither
> * Added some new colors tables: color cube with some grey colors
> * Change the default to a 4x4x3 cc with 6 grey (54 colors)

Just an FYI.  I downloaded snap-20021004 which contains those changes and
I have a couple of comments.

 1. The '-visual TrueColor' option (as well as the '-visualId 0x26') still
    don't work and produces the same scrambled pixmaps that were noted
    before (I'll attach something).  The same errors are produced,

	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 72, Error 8, EventType: 0
	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 72, Error 8, EventType: 0
	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
	[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 72, Error 8, EventType: 0

 2. The inclusion of the new greys made things a tad better in 8-bit mode
    (at least one doesn't see greens instead of greys now :-), but the browns
    and possibly yellows (note that pesky clamp.xpm) are gone (I'll attach
    something also).

So, if the fixes noted are not complete just yet (ie. I'm jumping the gun),
please excuse me otherwise the issues are still there.

Thanks

 .tf. (please CC replies)

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
http://sbc.yahoo.com

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:24:31 +0200

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:14:52PM -0700, Tim Freedom wrote:
> [snip]

The -visual option fixes are work in progress. I will send you
a email when I hope that the code is ok for your card with
the -visual option.

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:56:58 +0200

> a email when I hope that the code is ok for your card with

I hope that the next snapshot will be ok (20021008). Can you try it
with the -visual option? I've also changed the default color table
(used for 8 bits colors).

Thanks, Olivier

---

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:24:28 -0700 (PDT)

> (used for 8 bits colors).

Just downloaded 20021008 which does indeed contain your most recent
commits - the following 2 comments,

 + Regarding -visual and -visualId -- the problems persist (I'll
   attach a jpg), but its the same stuff that I saw from before.
   The pixmaps are not visible at all and seem to be scrambled.

 + Regarding 8bit, the buttons look overly gray now with no yellow
   or brown inclusion (I'll attach a jpg as well - note that pesky
   clamp.xpm).

On the positive side, there were no error messages on the console/stderr.

Let me know how I can help (if you need some debug output or something).

back to 2.4.11 :-)

 .tf. (please CC)

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
http://faith.yahoo.com

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:07:23 +0200

>    The pixmaps are not visible at all and seem to be scrambled.

Ah yes, I hope that the next snapshot will be ok for FvwmButtons
(may be not for icons in other modules). Since the beginning
I was award of the pb I just fix, but I simply do not check
FvwmButtons code. I do not know why :o/ 
  
>    or brown inclusion (I'll attach a jpg as well - note that pesky

Can you send _me_ the icons you use I will add it to my test icon set.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:26:23 +0200

> commits - the following 2 comments,

Tim can you try the next snapshot?

Now your video card should be auto-detected and 24 bits colors should
be used by default (no -visual{Id} option). Does this work? I hope
that the icons in your FvwmButtons are ok now.

So now for using 8 bits colors you should use -visual PseudoColor
(no progress here for your FvwmButtons icons).

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

> (no progress here for your FvwmButtons icons).

OK, got snap-20021015 and ran it without the -visual[Id].  The colors
still look 8-bit'ish (overly gray).  I'll attach a pic.

Come to think of it - I can very easily live with the '-visual'
option if you have more important things to do (I certainly don't
mean to complicate anyone's life and am totally satisfied using
the now functional & reasonable '-visual' option).  It doesn't sounds
like those dual colormap video cards are common enough to warrant
your headache and efforts (just a thought).  Have a more reasonable
8-bit colormap selection and call it quits on this issue :-)

Thanks.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:38:49 +0200

> still look 8-bit'ish (overly gray).  I'll attach a pic.

And with the -visualId which gives you 24 bit colors is your
FvwmButtons icons ok? This is the more important things for me.

Olivier

---

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:31:05 -0700 (PDT)

> FvwmButtons icons ok? This is the more important things for me.

Yeah, they are fine with the '-visual TrueColor' option :-)  I'll
try the '-visualId' at a later point (and let you know in private),
but expect it will be fine as well.

Thanks.