Subject: FVWM: mozilla/phoenix 'preferences' transient windows behavior

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:23:52 -0800

Hello,

has anyone noticed that "Preferences" window of mozilla can
get lowered to the point where it is obscured by the parent
if you were to switch focus to the parent mozilla window?
Same goes for phoenix...

The rest of my transient windows (including 'find', etc in
mozilla) behave how I would expect them to: lose focus but
stay on top when I focus on the parent window.

Same seems to happen to "profile"  windows of mozilla. 
RaiseTransient, LowerTransient also dont seem to affect the
said windows (i.e. if I obstruct parts of mozilla, 'find',
and "preferences" with an xterm and xterm is in the front,
and then focus mozilla, both mozilla and 'find' will come 
to the front, but not the 'preferences')

Both identd and 'xwininfo -all' produce output for 'find'
and 'preferences' transients, which differs only in
size/position. Both window types are said to be transient by
identd.

It is possible that I am making a mistake somewhere, but the
fact that the rest of transient windows works as I would
expect them to throws me off.

Here are my transient settings:

   Style "*" RaiseTransient, LowerTransient, DecorateTransient,
   Style "*" StackTransientParent

In case it matters, I am using 

   fvwm 2.5.4 (from cvs) compiled on Oct 20 2002 at 00:42:44
   with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, GNOME WM hints, EWMH
   hints, Shape, SM, Xinerama, XFT

Please let me know if you dont see the problem, so that I
can go back and take a second look at my settings...

denis

ps.  I am still shaky with "proper" use of fvwm terminology,
so please excuse any errors. I hope I was clear though.

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:19:30 +0100

> if you were to switch focus to the parent mozilla window?

That is because the preferences window is a transient of the root
window, not of the browser window.  So fvwm can not know which
window spawned it.  I assume that was an intentinal decision by
the mozilla crew.

> can go back and take a second look at my settings...

There is nothing wrong with your settings.  The change has to be
made in the application.  All you can do is to ask the application
developers to change that.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^