Subject: FVWM: Need identical display on two monitors

From: Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:05:09 +1000

Hi,

I've got two video cards installed with their own monitors.
I'm trying to get both monitors to have an identical display.
The first monitor works ok, but the second monitor only shows
the default grey background of X, the fvwm pager, and has no
mouse pointer or other windows. How can i do that?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:28:04 +0200

> I'm trying to get both monitors to have an identical display.

Assuming you use XFree86, you have to decide if you want to use
Xinerama or an old style multi head setup.  With Xinerama, you
get one big logical screen (usually ":0.0") and you can move
windows between the two screens, but both screens must have the
same number of bitplanes (colours).  With the other setup you get
two logical screens (":0.0" and ":0.1").  A separate copy of fvwm
runs on both screens.  Windows can not be moved from one screen to
the other, but both screens can have a different number of
bitplanes.  I recommend to use the Xinerama setup if possible, but
I can't help you to bring it up.

> mouse pointer or other windows. How can i do that?

In both setups you can transfer the pointer between both monitors
by simply moving it over the adjacent edge of the screen.  To
start the application windows, modify your .fvwm2rc.  Look for the
StartFunction, InitFunction and RestartFunction definitions and
start the applications you need on both screens.  With Xinerama
it's pretty straightforward.  With a multi head setup you can add
a line

  Read .fvwm2rc.$[screen]

somewhere in your .fvwm2rc file and add screen specific commands
in these files:

  .fvwm2rc.0
  .fvwm2rc.1

For example, my .fvwm2rc.0 is empty while my .fvwm2rc.1 looks like
this:

  DestroyFunc InitFunction
  AddToFunc InitFunction
  + I StandardSetup

The "StandardSetup" function takes care of bringing up my terminal
windows and fvwm modules on the current screen.

There are some paragraphs about Xinerama setups in the fvwm man
page that you should read if you go with Xinerama.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:17:21 -0600

Dominik Vogt wrote:

> same number of bitplanes (colours).

With Xinerama, do both screens also have to have the same display height
and width?

Has anyone successfully run fvwm2 on Solaris's Xsun in Xinerama mode?  If
so, any lessons learned?  Can the graphics cards be heterogeneous
provided the color depths are the same?

Gregg Dameron

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:30:59 -0400

Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]> writes:
> Has anyone successfully run fvwm2 on Solaris's Xsun in Xinerama mode?

On Solaris 8, it still fails during configure:

checking for XineramaIsActive in -lXinerama... no

Sun's implementation is different than the XFree86 implementation.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:00:53 -0600

> Sun's implementation is different than the XFree86 implementation.

Understood.  Might there be a way to do a "force-fit" for Solaris?  Or are we
talking massive source code changes?

---

From: Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:37:17 +1000

> page that you should read if you go with Xinerama.

I might go with the two-separate-screens option. What i really
wanted is to have the same logical screen 0.0 cloned on both
monitors, so that a mouse cursor is displayed in the same
place on both monitors simultaneously. However, i think
the missing mouse cursor on the cloned screen is a more
basic problem in XFree86. I got the same fvwm desktop
to appear on both screens by using:
  Option "Xinerama" "yes"
  Option "CloneDisplay" "yes"
in XF86Config.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:18:30 +0200

> With Xinerama, do both screens also have to have the same display height

No, they can be of any size.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:19:22 +0200

> talking massive source code changes?

I think there was some motion towards a common Xinerama standard
and we didn't want to support all the drafts that appear before
the final version.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^