Subject: FVWM: Transient Flicker

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

With both snap-20021010 and snap-20021015 I've noticed that transients
(well netscape's "Open Page" -- CTRL-O specifically) seems to flicker
badly (twice I think) upon bring-up.  There were no changes to the
.fvwm2rc file, the only mention of anything related to transients is,

  Style "*" MouseFocus, GrabFocusTransient
  Style "*" MWMFunctions, MWMDecor
  Style "*" Color White/DimGray, WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
            DecorateTransient, BorderWidth 3

Where there any changes in that realm or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks.

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
http://faith.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:45:38 +0200

> Where there any changes in that realm or am I doing something wrong ?

Yes, there were changes.  I can't say much about that without

 * Knowing the exact netscape release.
 * A more precise description of "flickering".

Just out of curiosity:  why do you set the WIndowListSkip style on
*all* windows?  That seems pretty useless.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Freedom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:43:07 -0700 (PDT)

>  * A more precise description of "flickering".

I'm using Netscape-4.75 (I know its archaic) on a,

  uname -a: SunOS pez 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u

In terms of this flickering (and it happens on all transient windows,
ALT-F (netscape's find) does it as well); the window pops-up and gets
raised and focused, then it seems as though it attempts to raise itself
one more time which end-up looking as though its a flicker.  In essence,
it redraws itself twice before becoming available.  Hope that helps.
Let me know if you want me to run any debug code.

> *all* windows?  That seems pretty useless.

I use FvwmWinList (reminds me of my old tvtwm days :-) and would only
like to list xterms (and alike) and so I also have the following entries
in my .fvwm2rc file

  Style "xterm"   Color white/gray64, NoIcon, WindowListHit
  Style "rxvt"    Color white/gray64, NoIcon, WindowListHit
  Style "mlterm"  Color white/gray64, NoIcon, WindowListHit
  Style "emacs"   NoIcon, WindowListHit

Thanks (do please CC)