Subject: FVWM: DeskTopSize query

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:47:04 +1000

After using fvwm2 with increasing confidence for some 6 months and
gradually learning the "fvwm2 language", I am again attempting to read
the fvwm2 man page - and crashed almost at Square One. The man page
states:

The (m by n) size (i.e. number of pages) of the virtual desktops can
       be changed any time, by **using the DeskTopSize built-in command.**

Simple.

If I could find the "built-in command".

I recollect that one fvwm2rc file offers an option that relates to the
number of pages on the desktop.  Perhaps the fvwm2 man page should be
studied while the fvwm2rc file displayed in another window?  And, if so,
which of the sample-fvwm2rc files? 

Felix Karpfen 
-- 
Felix Karpfen
[email-masked]
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:03:33 -0400

>If I could find the "built-in command".

It's in the section "COMMANDS CONTROLLING THE VIRTUAL DESKTOP"

I use the html version of the man page on the fvwm web site.
-- 
Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 17:12:56 -0400

> If I could find the "built-in command".

I'm not sure the phrase "built-in" adds anything.
I think this has come up before, and the phrase might be removed.
Do you think it would be clearer if it just said:

"using the DeskTopSize command."

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:45:36 +1000

> "using the DeskTopSize command."

My thanks to both respondents for the prompt replies.

I use the supplied man page and load it into the vim editor.

If I had searched for "DeskTopSize" rather than for "builtin command" I
would have got from line 152 to line 4162 of the man page in two jumps.

However, the information presented still fails to address my real
problem.  It points out that I should now be using the "GotoDesk"
command.  And the "GotoDesk" command advises:

 GotoDesk prev | arg1 [ arg2 ] [ min max ]
	      Switches the current viewport to another desktop (workspace, room).   

Which still does not tell me how to **run** the command.

It looks as though the missing link may be in:

FVWM Modules -> Start Regular Modules -> FVWM Console -> GotoDesk [arg].

And, doubtless, sooner or later I will get to the full story in my crawl
through the man page(s).

Since this exploration is an educational exercise and I am a geriatric
with plenty of time on my hands, I can wait until all is revealed
- either in man fvwm2 or in man FvwmConsole or perhaps even in man
FvwmCommand.

Meanwhile, let me flag that I am deriving great joy and satisfaction
from the elegance and economy of fvwm2 and from the many useful hints
that are contained in answers to queries posted to the user list.

Felix Karpfen

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:58:02 +0000

On 03 Oct 2002 15:45:36 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> problem. 

If your problem is to change the desktop size, just run in FvwmConsole:

  DeskTopSize 4x2

like suggested in the man page.

> It points out that I should now be using the "GotoDesk"

GotoDesk is just another command. Did you try in FvwmConsole to run:

  GotoDesk prev         # return to the previous desk
  GotoDesk 1            # goto the next desk   (-1 would mean previous)
  GotoDesk 0 1          # goto the next desk   (-1 would mean previous)
  GotoDesk 1 0 3        # cicle from desk 0 to desk 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 0

I think the man page describes this although without examples.

But it seems you use fvwm-themes. If yes, there are 2 solutions to change
the desktop size. Choose another "modules" component, for example the one
in the Luthien theme uses four pages 2x2, the Default theme uses 3x3 pages.
Or you may create ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/modules-extra file and place one
line in it "DeskTopSize 3x2". Then refresh themes and load this new
modules-extra component from menus.

Also at any time press Shift-Ctrl-Mouse2 to get a transient multi-desk
pager in fvwm-themes if you are lost in desks and pages.
If you do use fvwm-themes, consider to ask on its own mailing list.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:41:25 +0200

> I think this has come up before, and the phrase might be removed.

I agree.  It just makes the man page harder to read.  The vague
information that it's an fvwm config "language" command and not a
shell command is worth about nothing.  I vot for dumping that term
from the man page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].