Subject: Re: FVWM: CDE Startup & SSH

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:36:02 +0000

Hi Dan :

Could you please expand please ? I understand the principal and use of piped
output but how would you use them in this instance?

regards

Phil

******************************************************************************
CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT

This email, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or
confidential. Access by any other party is unauthorised without the
express written permission of the sender. If you have received this
email in error you may not copy or use the contents, attachments
or information in anyway. Please destroy it and contact the sender
on  0870 840 5000 or via email return. This email has been
prepared using information believed by the author to be reliable
and accurate, but DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd. makes no
warranty as to accuracy or completeness. In particular
DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd. does not accept responsibility for
changes made to this email after it was sent. Any opinions
expressed in this document are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd,
or its affiliates. 

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:48:51 -0500

> output but how would you use them in this instance?

Sure.

The shell "MyShell":

echo "SetEnv MYVAR test"

In your .fvwm2rc:

PipeRead "MyShell"
Exec echo "MYVAR has been set to $$MYVAR"

The SetEnv command comes out of piperead to fvwm, where fvwm executes
it as an Fvwm command.  Check the man page for SetEnv.
Then anything Fvwm executes will inherit Fvwm's environment and
see the variable.

In the echo I used above, I used 2 dollar signs so that the shell
would expand MYVAR, otherwise, fvwm expands it.  It would work either
way.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]