Subject: FVWM: Geometry specification

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:12:04 +0100

Hello,

I use 2 Xinerama screens (with NVidia's Twinview option). I have a
FvwmButtons panel that slides on to one screen if I click on an icon.
The icon is supposed to be positioned in the top right of my second
monitor, using the line: '*BarButtons: Geometry 30x30-5+0@0'

This works provided the mouse pointer is in the first screen when FVWM
(re)starts, but if the pointer is in the second screen then the icon
disappears off somewhere else never to be seen again.

As far as I can understand the '@0' in the geometry should put the icon
in the first screen, and I can't see how that has anything to do with
the position of the pointer. Can someone explain what is happening?

Thanks,

Andy

- --
Real Men don't make backups. They upload it via ftp and let the world
mirror it. -- Linus Torvalds

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:39:19 +0200

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 02:12:04PM +0100, Andy Arbon wrote:

Please always tell us which fvwm version you have.

> the position of the pointer. Can someone explain what is happening?

Yes, that should work and it does for me.  I can't say much more
before I know the precise fvwm release number.  Posting your
complete FvwmButtons config won't hurt either.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:41:46 +0100

Hello,

I'm using 2.5.2 . My config (the bits I think are relevant) is:

Style BarButtons  NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip,\
                    BorderWidth 4, CirculateSkip, StaysOnTop
Style SubPanel  NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip,\
                    BorderWidth 4, CirculateSkip, StaysOnTop

DestroyModuleConfig BarButtons: *
*BarButtons: Fore Black
*BarButtons: BoxSize smart
*BarButtons: Back #c3c3c3
*BarButtons: Frame 1
*BarButtons: Pixmap none

*BarButtons: Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*BarButtons: Geometry 30x30-5+0@0
*SubPanel: Columns 1

*BarButtons: (Panel(left, delay 0, steps 4, position 100 270p) SubPanel
"Module FvwmButtons SubPanel") Icon mini.penguin.xpm

*SubPanel: (1x10 Swallow (NoClose, UseOld) licq 'Exec licq -p qt-gui&')
*SubPanel: Geometry 150x500-100+100
*SubPanel: (Swallow XClock 'Exec xclock -bg navy -fg white -digital
-update 1 -geometry 100x20&')
*SubPanel: (1x2 Swallow XLoad 'Exec xload -hl red -bg navy -fg white
-update 1 -jumpscroll 1 -label "CPU Load" &')
*SubPanel: (1x4 Swallow FvwmPager "FvwmPager 0 3")

I want the icon to appear in the top right of my second monitor (which I
believe should be referred to as 1), but for some reason I can only get
it to work if I put 0 in the geometry spec and make sure the pointer is
in screen 0 when FVWM (re)starts.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:31:56 +0200

> in screen 0 when FVWM (re)starts.

This works all fine for me.  Please post your whole configuration
file as well as your exact Xinerama configuration (exact screen
geometries).  Also, apply the attached patch:

  $ cd fvwm/modules/FvwmButtons
  $ patch < path_to_patch_file/fb.patch

and post the output you get when the problem occurs.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:57:41 +0200

... and the missing patch

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--- parse.c.orig	Tue Oct 15 12:27:13 2002
+++ parse.c	Tue Oct 15 12:26:58 2002
@@ -1546,7 +1546,6 @@
   unsigned int height;
 
   flags = FScreenParseGeometry(geom,&g_x,&g_y,&width,&height);
-fprintf(stderr,"fb: parsing geometry %d %d %dx%d\n", g_x, g_y, width, height);
   UberButton->w = 0;
   UberButton->h = 0;
   UberButton->x = 0;
@@ -1615,7 +1614,6 @@
       break;
     case 4:
       /* Xinerama state */
-fprintf(stderr,"fb: configuring xinerama: %s\n", rest);
       FScreenConfigureModule(rest);
       break;
     }