Subject: Re: FVWM: Still slight cosmetic problem with HGradient menus

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:58:18 +0200

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:55:51PM +0100, John Latham wrote:
> This is probably one for Dominic...
> 
> You may recall a few weeks ago you fixed a bug in the menus when they have a
> HGradient -- certain menu items left `up' after scanning over them? It works
> much better now in 2.5.3, thanks very much, but I have noticed one little
> imperfection that I didn't notice before. Say you put the pointer on a menu
> item which causes a sub-menu to pop up. Then move the pointer up one place.
> The sub-menu is cleared away, however, it also wipes off the bottom edge of
> the 3D `up' relief of the item at the new pointer position (i.e. what was the
> top of the 3D relief of the previous position). This `absent bottom' feature
> is disabled if there is a NOP between the two items.

Could you try with my latest patch?  I couldn't reproduce this
myself (probably because of SaveUnders or something).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:15:07 +0100

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:07:22 +0100
> From: John Latham <[email-masked]>

> ...
> I suspect that one of the steps needed to
> invoke the feature is to ask this application to move itself: I have bound the
> right mouse button to act as a `grab and move' function for this application
> (because it has lots of little windows).
> ...

I did not make it clear, sorry: the binding I speak of is a PerlTk binding,
not an FVWM binding. So as far as FVWM is concerned, I presume, the PerlTk
application is asking to be moved, quite a lot of move requests in fact, as I
drag the mouse. (I hope this is Red Herring.)

Best wishes, John Latham

---

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:41:36 +0100

> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:11:17 +0000
> From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>

...

> > Perhaps, ultimately, the window buttons could be given a ButtonStyle option so
> > the user can decide which is most appropriate? Or is there already some way to
> > control this?
>
> Just always bind a complex function, then you have a lot of options.
> "I" to execute a command on press, "C" or "D" - on release (but there
> are some issues), "M" and "H" change the "feel" as well. Try to omit
> or add "C", "M", "H" to get different combinations of "feel".

The minute after I sent the last message it occurred to me I should try out
different function action triggers. I had, of course, just used "I" without
any thought. Doh! Still it's nice to have your bit of general advice aired and
you have stated it so succintly. Thank you. I think "C" looks like the best
default for a complex which is bound to a button.

> Regards,
> Mikhael.

Best wishes, John Latham