Subject: FVWM: multibyte support

From: "Andrey R. Urazov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:26:07 +0700

Hello,

I'm using `de_DE.UTF-8' locale and compiled FVWM 2.4.9 with multibyte
support. What I got is that I see nothing in WindowList, just empty
lines, and I see garbage in FvwmPager windows thumbnails. Balloons there
are also empty. But when a window has a title with Cyrillic letters it
is displayed correctly, though German umlauts aren't (a header
containing umlauted letters is not displayed at all).

Without multibyte support instead of Cyrillic titles I get garbage
there.

Before I used FVWM 2.2.5 from Red Hat 7.2 distribution (with the same
locale) and everything was okay.

Btw, I get the following kind of messages from FVWM:
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 28
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 28
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 28
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***

Best regards,
  Andrey Urazov
-- 
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #29:

THE JUDGE: Now, as we begin, I must ask you to banish all present
	   information and prejudice from your minds, if you have any ...
--
Mittwoch, 04. September 2002, 20:17:52 +0700 - Andrey R. Urazov (mailto:[email-masked])

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:50:22 +0000

> locale) and everything was okay.

If so, just don't specify --enable-multibyte and you should see the
same results in 2.4.9.

On the other hand I don't know what patches RedHat added to 2.2.5.

It is hard to say anything concrete without knowing details, like whether
an application specifies titles in utf8 or koi8-r. And which fonts
you use in modules and decorations.

Also try the 2.5.3 rpms to see whether you have different results.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Andrey R. Urazov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:05:22 +0700

> If so, just don't specify --enable-multibyte and you should see the
I tried this but this way I get garbage in window headers if they
contain symbols outside of ASCII and they do it often. ;-(
> you use in modules and decorations.
My locale is everywhere set to utf8, and I don't think there is an
application that would read `de_DE.UTF-8' and provide title in koi8-r.
Mask for fonts everywhere contains iso10646. They same was when I used
2.2.5.

> Also try the 2.5.3 rpms to see whether you have different results.
Thanks for the advice I'll try this.

Best regards,
  Andrey Urazov
-- 
There are two ways of disliking art.   One is to dislike it.  The other is
to like it rationally.
		-- Oscar Wilde
--
Mittwoch, 04. September 2002, 21:00:58 +0700 - Andrey R. Urazov (mailto:[email-masked])