Subject: Re: FVWM: Still slight cosmetic problem with HGradient menus

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:55:26 +0100

> Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:58:18 +0200
> From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:55:51PM +0100, John Latham wrote:
> > This is probably one for Dominic...
> > 
> > You may recall a few weeks ago you fixed a bug in the menus when they have a
> > HGradient -- certain menu items left `up' after scanning over them? It works
> > much better now in 2.5.3, thanks very much, but I have noticed one little
> > imperfection that I didn't notice before. Say you put the pointer on a menu
> > item which causes a sub-menu to pop up. Then move the pointer up one place.
> > The sub-menu is cleared away, however, it also wipes off the bottom edge of
> > the 3D `up' relief of the item at the new pointer position (i.e. what was the
> > top of the 3D relief of the previous position). This `absent bottom' feature
> > is disabled if there is a NOP between the two items.
>
> Could you try with my latest patch?  I couldn't reproduce this
> myself (probably because of SaveUnders or something).
>
> Bye
>
> Dominik ^_^  ^_^

I tried yesterday's snapshot this morning.

Good news: I think the cosmetic menu problem has gone, thanks.

Possible bad news -- maybe you are aware of these, but just in case:

1) 	Menus do not stay up like they used to. With

		Mouse 1         R       A       Menu StartMenu Nop

	a single click on the root window used to make the menu stay up. Now,
	it appears and disappears as soon as you let go of the mouse.

 And

		AddToMenu XXX
		+ "blah blah" PopUp SubMenuYYY

	used to make SubMenuYYY stay up if you clicked on the item in XXX.
	(This was with PopupAsRootMenu style.)

2)	I was able to get a maximize button to become `stuck', in the sense
	that every thing I clicked would be toggle maximised -- not even just
	the window that the button belonged to! Clicking on the root window
	would make it look like everything was normal, but as soon as the
	mouse was even moved the original ``sticky button'' would display it's
	ActiveDown mini-icon again. Even killing the program which the sticky
	button window belonged to (via another console) did not resolve the
	problem: the skeleton of it remained on the screen. Only killing X
	could stop it. I was able to invoke this feature twice, but did not
	spend a long time working out exactly what magic sequence was needed.
	I think it involves the window being resized by itself, and/or moved
	by itself prior to clicking the button.

	Would you like me to try to find a more definitive sequence of events,
	or is somebody already onto this bug?

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:31:34 +0000

> 	(This was with PopupAsRootMenu style.)

If you use the cvs or daily snapshots regularly you should subscribe to
the fvwm-workers list to be up to date with what happens.

You would see that this problem was reported and answered, but not fixed.

You would also see the Dominik's request not to use the today's cvs
because it will crash.

> 	or is somebody already onto this bug?

This problem is not known. I don't quite understand what "every thing I
clicked would be toggle maximised" means. Please post all ButtonStyle and
other related lines.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:20:14 +0200

> clicked would be toggle maximised" means. Please post all ButtonStyle and

It's known to me and also caused by the event handling rewrite.
If you are curious, press the maximize/shade/whatever button on a
window, move the pointer out of the button and release it.
Regardless of where you click now the action on the window button
is triggered.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:10:11 +0000

> Regardless of where you click now the action on the window button

Ok, I wondered whether this may be caused by my InactiveUp/InactiveDown
enhancement.

If a complex functions is bound (like in my case), nothing bad happens,
but, yes, if some command is bound a very bad thing happens. A possible
workaround for this may be to bind ComplexMaximize instead of Maximize:

  AddToFunc ComplexMaximize
  + C Maximize
  #+ H Nop  # this cancels Maximize after some timeout

Regards,
Mikhael.