Subject: FVWM: .fvwm2rc example

From: Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:20:10 +1000

Hi,

I'm using fvwm 2.4.6 on debian. The fvwm manual mentions
a .fvwm2rc example, but i can't find it. Where can i get
one?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:01:33 -0400

> a .fvwm2rc example, but i can't find it. Where can i get

Gee, Debian could put it just about anywhere.

On my Mandrake box, I typed:

locate system.fvwm2rc

and found this:

/usr/share/doc/menu-2.1.5/examples/system.fvwm2rc

If you are trying to create a starting config file, the
best technique is to start up fvwm without any config file
at all, then press any mouse button on the root window
(or press F1), and use one of the setup procedures.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 2002 00:33:43 -0400

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> I'm using fvwm 2.4.6 on debian. The fvwm manual mentions a .fvwm2rc
  >> example, but i can't find it. Where can i get one?

  de> Gee, Debian could put it just about anywhere.

  de> locate system.fvwm2rc

On Debian (woody):

  $ locate system.fvwm2rc
  /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc

    [...plus a bunch of docs..]

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Floyd Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Sep 2002 23:28:39 -0800

>a .fvwm2rc example, but i can't find it. Where can i get

In addition to finding the sample.fvwm2rc file which comes with
the distribution, I would _highly_ recommend going to google at,

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

and doing a search on the single word "fvwm2rc".  You'll turn up
nearly 8000 hits, so it might also be good to limit the search
to the last 3 months and English, plus set it to show 100
responses instead of just 10 (because you will still get 2500
hits).

Most of what you'll find is heavily based on the sample fvwm2rc
files that come with the distribution.  But it will give you an
idea just how differently many people manage to find ways to run
fvwm.

I've been using fvwm since version 1 came out, but I've only
been subscribed to this mailing list for a couple weeks.
However, I'll bet that if you start talking about specific
things you want to try, or in any way give an idea what you'd
like your desktop to look like and be able to do, you'll
probably find several people just overjoyed to tell about how
they configured fvwm to _thier_ idea of perfection!

-- 
Floyd L. Davidson              <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)  "Place where people hunt snowy owls"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:53:28 +1000

Floyd Davidson wrote:
> >I'm using fvwm 2.4.6 on debian....
...
> they configured fvwm to _their_ idea of perfection!

Hi,

I read the manual and there's too much to get a simple
start, even after looking at various google results.

Can you build the .fvwm2rc interactively by trying
configuration commands in an xterm? I hate the default
settings that you can select to generate from the default
menu.

I noticed there's a console thing that i think accepts
builtin commands. Would that be useful?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:53:31 -0400

> builtin commands. Would that be useful?

To enter interactive commands, you can use
FvwmConsole, FvwmTalk, and FvwmCommand.
Each of these accepts any command you can put in your .fvwm2rc.

For what you describe, FvwmConsole would be best.