Subject: FVWM: Givning FVWM the right environment

From: Johan Svedberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:31:17 +0200

Hi, everybody.

I'm working on giving FVWM the "correct" environment (variables etc) so
that application I run from FVWM functions correctly. I know I can just
define them in my ~/.xinitrc but that's kind of ugly, so I'm just
curious how other people have solved this?

Regards, Johan Svedberg 

-- 
Johan Svedberg, [email-masked], http://www.acc.umu.se/~winkle
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:03:02 +0000

> curious how other people have solved this?

Every application has its own "vision" regarding how to get the
configuration (from variables, files, options, database and so on).

For applications that require setting variables (for example 'less' uses
$LESS, $LESSEDIT, $LESSOPEN, $LESSCHARSET) you may do this in the login
shell startup files (the details depend on the shell). An application
launched by fvwm inherits all environment variables that fvwm itself gets.

If an application requeres some specific preparations, create a wrapper
script for this application and run the wrapper instead.

For example ~/bin/wine (or /usr/local/bin/wine) may look like this:

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/wine/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/wine/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
WINEPREFIX=/tmp/wine

PROG=`basename $0`
/opt/wine/bin/$PROG --managed "$@"

Regards,
Mikhael.