Subject: Re: FVWM: Still slight cosmetic problem with HGradient menus

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:56:39 +0100

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:20:14 +0200
> From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
>
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 06:31:34PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > > 2)	I was able to get a maximize button to become `stuck', in the sense

....

> > This problem is not known. I don't quite understand what "every thing I
> > clicked would be toggle maximised" means. Please post all ButtonStyle and
> > other related lines.
>
> It's known to me and also caused by the event handling rewrite.
> If you are curious, press the maximize/shade/whatever button on a
> window, move the pointer out of the button and release it.
> Regardless of where you click now the action on the window button
> is triggered.

Yes I discovered this more general behaviour last night when I tried again.
Sorry about the PerlTk application Red Herring. (Actually I'm pleased it
wasn't being caused by that.)

This has also made me realise something, perhaps worth suggesting. It appears
that the window buttons are activated either on press or release, depending on
what they are bound to. It seems they are activated on release if they are
bound to a builtin, and on press if they are bound to a Menu or Function. I
can see why some would argue it is good for them to activate on press if they
are bound to a menu. But I'm not sure this behaviour is the right one for a
function.

Generally I would say that activation on release should be the default for all
buttons, in any GUI, so that if the user has pressed the wrong button, s/he
can move the mouse away before releasing, to avoid the activation. Any
exception to this should be for convenience and only for something which is
safe, e.g. a Menu that has no default operation.

I have just changed my maximize buttons so that they invoke a function to do
an animated maximize, using FvwmAnimate instead of a simple Maximize X Y. Now
they activate on press instead of release!

Perhaps, ultimately, the window buttons could be given a ButtonStyle option so
the user can decide which is most appropriate? Or is there already some way to
control this?

> Bye
> Dominik ^_^  ^_^

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:11:17 +0000

> the user can decide which is most appropriate? Or is there already some way to

Just always bind a complex function, then you have a lot of options.
"I" to execute a command on press, "C" or "D" - on release (but there
are some issues), "M" and "H" change the "feel" as well. Try to omit
or add "C", "M", "H" to get different combinations of "feel".

Regards,
Mikhael.