Subject: FVWM: IconMan problem

From: Graham Gough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:03:43 +0100

I have recently switched from 2-2.5 to 2.5.2, since when I have
noticed a new, intermittent problem with my icon managers. They
normally display with sunken lines separating each item, but the lines
sometimes disappear, leaving a plain grey rectangle containing the
window names. This happens in both horizontal and vertical
managers. Obviously this isn't a serious bug, but it is mildly
irritating. I include my settings below, which I haven't changed since
my upgrade.

Graham

Style "Fvwm*"      Icon toolbox.xpm,NoTitle,NoHandles,Sticky
Style "FvwmIconMan" HandleWidth 5, Handles, BorderWidth 5
*FvwmIconMan*numManagers 2
*FvwmIconMan*Resolution  desk
*FvwmIconMan*background  SeaShell3
*FvwmIconMan*foreground  black
*FvwmIconMan*font        -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 
*FvwmIconMan*action      Mouse  1 N sendcommand Focus-and-Iconify
*FvwmIconMan*action      Mouse  2 N sendcommand Iconify
*FvwmIconMan*action	 Mouse  3 N sendcommand "Module FvwmIdent FvwmIdent"
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus false 
*FvwmIconMan*sort        name
*FvwmIconMan*plainbutton          up black SeaShell3
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton         down black RosyBrown3
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton          up black RosyBrown3
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectButton down black RosyBrown3
*FvwmIconMan*format %t
*FvwmIconMan*shape true
*FvwmIconMan*usewinlist true
*FvwmIconMan*titlebutton sunkedge
*FvwmIconMan*1*title           "Emacs and Netscape windows"
*FvwmIconMan*1*buttongeometry 180x0
*FvwmIconMan*1*managergeometry   1x0-5+90
*FvwmIconMan*1*show resource=emacs* class=AcroRead class=Netscape title=*Communicator* class=opera* 
*FvwmIconMan*1*dontshow      title="Emacs and Browser windows"
*FvwmIconMan*2*title           "Xterms"
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry 120x0
*FvwmIconMan*2*show      resource=xterm resource=Terminal
*FvwmIconMan*2*dontshow      title=minicom
*FvwmIconMan*2*managergeometry   3x0+400+5
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:39:21 +0000

> irritating. I include my settings below, which I haven't changed since

This is not a bug, but a feature. In 2.3.x a new button context was added
iconbutton with the flat relief by default. I don't know whether this
default is good, I myself would not use flat. Anyway, just add this line
(see the man page if needed):

  *FvwmIconMan: iconbutton up black SeaShell3

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Graham Gough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:48:22 +0100

Thanks for the swift response. Your suggested fix seems to have done
the trick, although it's still not clear to me why the `bug' appeared
to be intermittent.

Graham