Subject: FVWM: FVWM crashes when typing "Q" on Pine

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 02:53:26 +0200 (CEST)

$ rpm -q redhat-release kernel
redhat-release-6.2-1
kernel-2.2.19-6.2.16

$  rpm -qa --last | egrep [f]vwm
fvwm-themes-extra-0.6.1-1       Sat 07 Sep 2002 01:47:37 AM CEST
fvwm-2.5.3-1                    Wed 04 Sep 2002 06:15:09 PM CEST
fvwm-themes-base-0.6.1-1        Wed 24 Jul 2002 04:43:23 PM CEST
fvwm2-icons-2.2.4-4             Tue 24 Jul 2001 06:17:20 AM CEST

The problem (the following few lines are also the defintion for what I
call "XCrash" in the rest of this mail)
##################################################################
FVWM crashes when the focus is on an xterm where pine is running
*and* when I type a "Q" or "q" in this situation. Crash means:  FVWM,
i.e. the whole X "really" quits, so I have to start another X.
#################################################################

FVWM is started via .xinitrc, either with this entry:
exec /usr/bin/fvwm-themes-start

or this one:
exec /usr/bin/fvwm
(and IIRC it crashes in both cases: fvwm-themes-start or fvwm)

XCrash happens if
Pine is started from .xinitrc with this entry:
xterm -geometry 92x50+1550+60 -e /usr/bin/pine &

No XCrash
with Pine being started from the FVWM root-menu with this
entry in ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/menus-programs (the following is one
line, just in case you see it as two lines in your MUA)
+ "Pine%menu/mail.xpm%" Exec exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -geometry 92x50 -e /usr/bin/pine

No XCrash
if Pine is started from an xterm with this command:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -geometry 92x50 -e /usr/bin/pine &
or with the one I have in .xinitrc

No XCrash
if Pine is started from an xterm with this command:
pine

It *seems* that after FVWM was running about 15 minutes or so this
XCrash problem does not emerge ... which means this Xterm with Pine in
it then is behaving as expected and simply exits without the whole X
going to hell.

This situation seems to be new here: I don't remember having ever seen
it before having installed the new fvwm-2.5.3-1

Best Regards
Wolfgang

-- 
Key on: http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/
Key fingerprint = 5FFA E2D1 6DB5 C023 0C5F  3FA7 4E08 5F9F 1560 0BA8

Home Page: www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 08:51:22 +0000

> call "XCrash" in the rest of this mail)

Can you reproduce the crash with this two line .xinirc:

  xterm -geometry 92x50+1550+60 -e /usr/bin/pine &
  /usr/bin/fvwm -cmd 'AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmPager'

I can't with fvwm-2.5.3-1 rpm.

Do you get "core" file? It is not very useful, since the binary has
debug information stripped, but at least you may check which program
crashed using gdb (or maybe not crashed, just exited).

Silly question, don't you have by a chance this binding somewhere:

  Key Q R A Quit

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:43:02 +0200 (CEST)

>   /usr/bin/fvwm -cmd 'AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmPager'

these 2 lines when starting fvwm or fvwm-themes-start ?

> Do you get "core" file?

Yes

> It is not very useful, since the binary has debug information
> stripped, but at least you may check which program crashed using gdb

... I don't know how to run gdb ... but I could try to view the core
with strings, if this helps ...

> (or maybe not crashed, just exited).
>

I didn't find this binding in /.fvwm/themes/personal/bindings

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:59:37 +0000

> these 2 lines when starting fvwm or fvwm-themes-start ?

The second line already starts fvwm in foreground, don't put any other
lines into ~/.xinitrc except for maybe "sleep 3" in the middle.

> > I can't with fvwm-2.5.3-1 rpm.

The only thing you may do without debuging symbols is to verify that
"gdb -c core" says that "Core was generated by `/usr/bin/fvwm'."
Otherwise, you would run "gdb /usr/bin/fvwm core" and type "where" or "bt".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:38:20 +0200 (CEST)

[ ... snipped, several times .. ]

> lines into ~/.xinitrc except for maybe "sleep 3" in the middle.

The same as with the old .xinitrc: XCrash if I type a 'q' on Pine in
an xterm

This is what I see at the comsole (at the end) where I started X:

-------------
/home/nap/.xinitrc: line 7:  1870 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) /usr/bin/fvwm -cmd 'AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmPager'
-------------------

]$ gdb -c core
[ ... ]
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
Core was generated by `/usr/bin/fvwm -cmd AddToFunc StartFunction I
FvwmPager'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x80a5a7c in ?? ()

                      RESULT WITH MY "DEFAULT" .initrc:

And this is what gdb says about the core file that is generated
with the Pine/XCrash after having started X/FVWM-themes with my
default .xinitrc

$ gdb -c core
[ ... ]
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
Core was generated by `fvwm -f themes-rc'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x80a5a7c in ?? ()

Best Regards
Wolfgang

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 19:55:51 +0000

> The same as with the old .xinitrc: XCrash if I type a 'q' on Pine in

So this happens with no config at all. Fine. Forget fvwm-themes for now.

Please recompile 2.5.3 from sources and install it (say into /usr/local).
Then run the same 2 line .xinitrc, but with /usr/local/bin/fvwm instead.
When you get core, run "gdb /usr/local/bin/fvwm core" and then "where".
Send the stack trace (5-20 lines), preferably to [email-masked].
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mikhael.