Subject: FVWM: Addendum to FAQ 4.3

From: Eric Doenges <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:44:26 +0200

Hi,

first a short disclaimer -- I have no idea if this is the correct
mailing list, but there seems to be no other way of contacting the
fvwm maintainers. If this mail is inapropriate, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I have an addendum to FAQ 4.3 "I'm seeing odd things when
trying to preprocess files with the FvwmM4/Cpp module...".

I was seeing strange things too. On our setup, the main .fvwm2rc file
reads a number of different subfiles, some of which were parsed with
FvwmM4. This periodically led to a race condition where FvwmM4 was not
finished processing before the M4 output was needed elsewhere in the
configuration (in our case, the problem was with FvwmButtons being
started before the apps to swallow had been started). The fix detailed
in FAQ 4.3 did not help (because we were starting other modules), but
the solution was surprisingly simple:

I replaced all "FvmM4 <file>" commands with "PipeRead 'm4 <file>'" and
everything seems to work now.
-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Dipl.-Ing. Eric Doenges                         http://www.rcs.ei.tum.de
Institute for Real-Time Computer Systems (RCS)      fon +49-89-289-23590
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, D-80290 Muenchen  fax +49-89-289-23555

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:22:44 +0000

> everything seems to work now.

Well, this may be useful, but it is not the same, none of the X and FVWM
related constants are expanded, usual search paths are not used and so on.

The real solution to your synchronization problem is to invoke FvwmM4
with the -lock switch.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:08:55 +0000

On 11 Sep 2002 15:41:08 +0200, Eric Doenges wrote:
> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> I found that out the hard way shortly after sending my mail
> (everything seemed to work for me, but broke for some other users
> =8^(. Fortunately our configuration only uses HOME and USER, which
> fvwm can expand itself from $HOME and $USER.
> 
> We currently run fvwm-2.2 and fvwm-2.4 (on different Unix variants),
> but want to have the same configuration files.

If you insist not to use any 2.4.x features, we can't help. The support on
this list and the FAQ (not counting some non-updated parts) is for 2.4.x.

> '-lock' seems to be a
> feature added in version 2.4. Also, if I use '-lock' to read
> m4-processed files from a .fvwm2rc File, it doesn't seem to do
> anything (i.e. "FvwmM4 -lock <file>" exhibits the same problems
> "FvwmM4 <file>" does). The manual page says to start the module with
> 'ModuleSynchronous", but the FvwmM4 module itself isn't started
> anywhere.

Yes, I forgot to mention that for -lock to work you should run:

  ModuleSynchronous FvwmM4 -lock <file>

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:35:24 +0000

On 12 Sep 2002 09:03:08 +0200, Eric Doenges wrote:
> [ ... ]
> This works, thanks. Maybe this tidbit of information should be in
> the FAQ ?

I hope someone will do this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:01:08 +0200

> I hope someone will do this.

Do you have anyone particular in mind with "someone"?  I didn't
really this thread, but I suspect that unless "someone" is you,
nothing will happen.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:46:35 -0400

> really this thread, but I suspect that unless "someone" is you,

I think a man page update is called for.
I'll see what I can come up with.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].