Subject: FVWM: keys...

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have the following keys defined in my config file

Key Left        A       M       GotoDesk -1
Key Right       A       M       GotoDesk +1

and usually these work, but with OpenOffice, I'm finding that they don't.

Does anyone have an idea why with this particular application they should
fail?

Thanks,

Tom

Ps. I'm using fvwm 2.4.7

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:28:17 +0200

> Does anyone have an idea why with this particular application they should

The same hapens with Gnome.  It's pretty annoying, and I have no
idea how some applications manage to do this.  Fvwm grabs the key
combinations on the root window and any further grabs by the
applications should fail.  Yet, they still manage to do this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sam Izzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 23:46:52 +1000

> applications should fail.  Yet, they still manage to do this.

I've had the occasional strange problem with my key bindings.  Sometimes they
just stop working (all of them, that is).  It's a little annoying; I'll press
my alt-f1 or f2 to raise/lower a window, or alt-left to go to my left desktop,
and it just won't work!  They just stop working entirely.  I'm using Gnome 1.4
(but no nautilus managing the desktop) and fvwm 2.5.1.  Is this related to the
above problem?  I have to quit X entirely and restart it to get my bindings
back again.

sam

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:50:58 +0200

> above problem?  I have to quit X entirely and restart it to get my bindings

Or just press the num-lock key again ;-)  See question 0.1 in the
FAQ.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:53:03 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know Sam.  Are you sure none of your num-lock or scroll-lock keys
are pressed?

For me, I can move my cursor over the root window or any other window and
my key bindings for switching pages return (I use focuss follows mouse),
so it's really a question of the application getting in the way.

Dominik, one thing I have noticed is that it does not occur like this all
of the time.  Sometimes my key bindings work, while other times they
don't.  It seems to be related to where the program is in handling
switching modes, or saving...  basically whether it is accepting input.
Unfortunately, it seems a bit tricky to make it occur on will.

Silly question...  Could it be the focus policy?  Sometimes it seems as if
no window has focus.  Can this occur, and will fvwm cope properly?

Thanks,

Tom

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:04:22 +0200

> so it's really a question of the application getting in the way.

Hm, so the application seems to have grabbed the key on its window
and fvwm has grabbed it everywhere else.  I have to look this up
in the X manuals.

> Unfortunately, it seems a bit tricky to make it occur on will.

It may be important if you start OpenOffice first or fvwm.  After
an fvwm restart things may look very differently.  In X it's just
first come - first serve:  whoever requests the grab first gets
it.

> Silly question...  Could it be the focus policy?

No, that has nothing to do with it.  Focus policy affects only
mouse button handling.

> Sometimes it seems as if

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

Well, I can add a little more information.

OpenOffice contains a tool called Impress (You know star office 6.0...).
The problem with loosing key binding occurs after switching back from
a full screen presentation or slide show view to normal editing view.

The open office window will respond to mouse clicks, though some of its
functionality is lost i.e. some of the menu items do nothing.

Does this suggest any more ideas on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

---

From: Sam Izzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:40:50 +1000

> Or just press the num-lock key again ;-)  See question 0.1 in the

Oh my god, what an idiot am i!!!  I feel so stupid :)

Thanks!
sam

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 21:52:15 -0400

>> Or just press the num-lock key again ;-)  See question 0.1 in the

  si> Oh my god, what an idiot am i!!!  I feel so stupid :)

Don't feel stupid.  You'll notice that's question 0.1 in the
FAQ... there's a reason for that after all :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].