Subject: FVWM: automatic focus problem

From: Sam Izzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:46:48 +1000

Hi,

I was just writing this big email about how to get my gnomeicu window to grab
focus when I pop it up with the key binding that I created for it.  Then I
tried adding a +I Wait GnomeICU into the function that does the popping up,
and it worked!

If anyone is interested, this is how I did it:

AddToFunc gnomeicu-showhide
+ I Exec exec gnomeicu-client showhide
+ I Wait GnomeICU
+ I All (GnomeICU) Move 80 10
+ I All (GnomeICU) Raise
+ I All (GnomeICU) FlipFocus

Key A A CS Function gnomeicu-showhide

Actually, now I have some questions: when I select a name to send a message
to and hit enter on the name, the message dialog pops up, but at random
locations on the screen, and it doesn't have focus.  Is it possible to have it
always pop up in the centre and grab focus?  Is this just some funky event
thing?  Perhaps I should just read up about that.. :)

The second thing is that with the above function, gnomeicu pops up at some
random location but is then moved to 80%, 10% on the screen, so you see it pop
up elsewhere before it moves to that location.  Is there a way to not have it
do this?  Because it's kind of ugly.

But apart from those minor problems (which I'm sure can be easily fixed with
recipe tweaking) fvwm is still my favorite window manager!

sam

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 04:59:23 +0200

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:46:48AM +1000, Sam Izzo wrote:
> locations on the screen, and it doesn't have focus.  Is it possible to have
> it always pop up in the centre and grab focus?  Is this just some funky
> event thing?

Most likely, gnumeicu is moving its windows around the desktop.
Fvwm never moves a window to one place and then another (unless
specifically told to do so).

To tell fvwm to honour the position of the message dialog as the
application set it, try

  Style <name_of_dialog_window> UsePPosition

in your .fvwm2rc (or remove the NoPPosition style from the config
file).  If that doesn't work or the dialog comes up at a place
where you don't like it, try setting the position in your
$HOME/.Xdefaults file:

  <resource_name>.geometry: +x+y

(you can find out the resource name with the FvwmIdent module).
Then issue the command

  $ xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

to tell X about the changed file.

>  Perhaps I should just read up about that.. :)
> 

The most important thing is:  don't just be angry about what it
does but tell the developers you hate that, that applications
shouldn't move around their windows because you know better where
you want them.  People have to be discouraged to write
applications this way.

Now your answer:  in the latest development versions (2.5.2 and
later), there are new styles that allow full control over what the
client may and may not do.  It may be the sledgehammer method, but
as a last resort it should work:

  Style <class_name> NoPPosition, FixedPPosition

If that still doesn't work, try this in addition:

  Style <class_name> FixedUSPosition

(If the latter line does work, it indicates clearly a bug in the
application).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].