Subject: FVWM: Non iso8995-1 fonts and the TaskBar

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:29:28 +0100

FvwmTaskBar crashes, quietly without any trace, in 2.4.6 as shipped by Red Hat
7.3 (multi-byte is enabled) and also in 2.4.8 when compiled with multibyte
option, but not otherwise.

The task bar just refused to appear, and left no error message not even a core
dump. Don't ask me how I figured out this was with the setting that caused the
problem

        *FvwmTaskBarFont -*helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

and changing it to the following makes it work okay:

        *FvwmTaskBarFont -*helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

I assume it was picking up some font encoding that FvwmTaskBar cannot handle
-- does that make sense?

This behaviour was still happening after I changed to POSIX locale (see
previous message): it seems you need BOTH the posix locale and the iso8859-1
to make it work in 2.4, if multi-byte is emabled.

Similarly, FvwmPager was using the wrong font until I put the iso8859-1 spec
on that too. At least it wasn't crashing!

All this seems to work fine on 2.5.2, no need for locale change or iso8859-1
specification.

This all makes me think I could do with learning a *bit* more about X fonts
and their relationships to locales. Can anyone suggest a good (implies
short...) summary on the matter?

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].