Subject: FVWM: Losing keybindings

From: Rick Koole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:19:05 +0200 (CEST)

I'm using a standard winblows comaptible keyboard, having mapped my two
windows keys using xmodmap with the following config

keycode 115 = Hyper_L
keycode 116 = Hyper_R
clear Mod4
add Mod4 =  0xFFED 0xFFEE

I'm using key combinations with the windows keys to do windowplacement,
desktopswitching and related stuff which works fine when I've just started
X. However after a random time these keybindings just stop working... I
can't find any regularity in the behavior of the keybindings, whenever
they stop, and I press e.g. windows + j , it prints a 'j' in my terminal
instead of switching windows.

Any clues on this one? fvwm (2.4.8) just doesn't seem to recognize those
keybindings after a while.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:25:54 +0000

> keybindings after a while.

Probably your Num-Lock is pressed, see FAQ #0.1.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Rick Koole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:31:03 +0200 (CEST)

hmmm.... this make me feel awfully stupid....

thanks

---

From: Stephen Dennison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:49:50 -0400 (EDT)

I have had this problem before...  Didn't take too long to figure out that
num lock was down, so I didn't feel too stupid, however it has happened to
me again lately and the num lock was not pressed.  I haven't been able to
put my finger on exactly what causes it, and when I try to intentionally
recreate the problem I can't seem to do it, but every once in a while I go
back to my terminal and discover that I can't drag windows around just
like the num lock was pressed.
The problem has occurred once when I left my terminal for a period of time
not greater than 5 minutes with a screen saver running, some applications
being xhosted from other machines, and a few local running applications.
It has occurred several times while I have screen locked and left the
machine running over the weekend, again with several xhosted applications
and just a handful of locally running programs.
In order to fix the problem I actually have to restart X, not just the
window manager.

The system is running redhat 7.3 on an intel something or other and
whatever version of fvwm2 that came with redhat.  The .fvwm2rc is my own
custom made file, not based on the one that came with redhat, but put
together from scratch.  Oh, and it's a dual monitor display system using
the xinerama extension on 2 monitors of the same size and resolution.  I
can't think of any other pertinent information, but if anyone has any
ideas as to what might be causing it I'd very much like to hear them.
--s.r.d.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:05:09 +0000

> In order to fix the problem I actually have to restart X, not just the

The next time this happens, run xev and press any key or mouse button.
Normally "state" should be 0x0, but if some (unknown) modifier is pressed
"state" will be always different than zero (ignore non-zero value on mouse
releases). Report your results.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:41:16 +0200

> ideas as to what might be causing it I'd very much like to hear them.

How about the scroll-lock and caps-lock keys?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].