Subject: FVWM: Windows grabbing keystrokes

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:48:36 +0100

Hello,

I've got Quake 3 installed and it completely takes control of all mouse 
an keyboard input while it's running, which is understandable most of 
the time.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way I can set a keystroke to 
break out of Quake and back in to the normal desktop? I'm guessing this 
all depends on whether FVWM gets taken out the loop completely while 
Quake is running or whether it is cooperatively passing all input 
through to it.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Andy

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:19:18 +0200

> Quake is running or whether it is cooperatively passing all input 

There is no way for other X applications to receive keyboard input
while another application has grabbed the keyboard exclusively.
The only keystrokes that may work are the ones the X server handles
directly, e.g. ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to a console and kill quake
there.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 18:06:30 +0000

> directly, e.g. ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to a console and kill quake

I suggest to start an application that fully grabs X in a separate server.
Then just switch between Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 although it may be
slow if a game consumes 100% of CPU. Just tried this with XFree86-4.2.0
and prboom, works ok. I remember XFree86-4.0.1 or so hanged when switching
from one server display to another or to a virtual console and back.

Regards,
Mikhael.