Subject: FVWM: xawtv and fullscreen<->window switching

From: Ronald Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 2002 16:37:30 +0200

Hi,

I have the following problems with xawtv and fvwm 2.5.2: When I switch
into fullscreen mode then the TV screen is partly outside the physical
screen, i.e. I have only a half TV screen. In this case I need to move
the mouse a bit upward to get the whole TV screen.

The second problem arises when I switch back to "window mode". Then it
happens by a chance of ~50% that the window is black. To get it working
again in _non-fullscreen_ mode I need to restart xawtv. Switching back
from the black window into fullscreen mode works but when I then switch
to "window mode" again the window diappears entirely but I can get it
back if I use the window list module. 

It would be nice if someone could fix this strange behavior.

thx,
ron

-- 
/\/\  Dipl.-Inf. Ronald Wahl                /\/\        C S N         /\/\
\/\/  [email-masked] \/\/  ------------------  \/\/
/\/\  http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~row/  /\/\  network and system  /\/\
\/\/  GnuPG/PGP key available               \/\/    administration    \/\/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 00:49:59 +0200

> the mouse a bit upward to get the whole TV screen.

You probably have something like

  Style * NoPPosition

in your config file to formid applications to place their own
windows.  Try disabling that line or use something like

  Style xawtv PPosition

afterwards to override the global style (possibly replace "xawtv" 
with the name, resource or class of the window).

> It would be nice if someone could fix this strange behavior.

Lacking the necessary hardware I can't take a look at xawtv
myself, but this all sounds as if xawtv is doing something wrong.
Have you asked the xawtv developers about this?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ronald Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 20:56:31 +0200

>   Style * NoPPosition

Yes.

>   Style xawtv PPosition

You mean UsePPosition?! This doesn't help. xawtv just switches the
screen resolution and does not recreate the window so the placement is
not the problem I think. With sawfish as WM I had no problems.

> Have you asked the xawtv developers about this?

Not yet, since I have this problem since I use fvwm. With sawfish I
did not see this behavior.

Is anyone here on the list who can reproduce this?

ron

---

From: Ronald Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 21:07:26 +0200

> not the problem I think. With sawfish as WM I had no problems.

I now found out that it happens only if the window is positioned in the
lower and/or right half of the screen. The more it is positioned in
these directions the more off-screen it will be in fullscreen mode.

ron

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:49:15 +0200

> Is anyone here on the list who can reproduce this?

Without anyone here being able to run xawtv, I can only suggest
that you contact tha xawtv developers and prod them to debug the
problem.  Chances are very good that it's an xawtv problem anyway.
Most multimedia player authors don't seem to know how to program a
good X applications :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Rene Huber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:09:54 +0200

> Most multimedia player authors don't seem to know how to program a

For what it's worth: motv (the Motif version of xawtv) on fvwm 2.4.6
with NoPPosition works like a charm.  No problems with full screen mode.

	RH.
-- 
#   Rene Huber - Software Engineer  \ / Pallas Athena B.V., The Netherlands #
#   Email:  [email-masked]   \     PO box 747, 7300 AS Apeldoorn    #
#     Phone/Fax:  +31 55 5760881    / \     http://www.pallas-athena.com    #
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].