Subject: FVWM: Clicking through shaped icons to desktop

From: Steve Talley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:31:15 -0600

Hello,

I've been using shaped desktop icons which look very spiffy but
present a frequent problem.  When I go to click on an icon, about half
the time (depending on the icon) I end up clicking on a transparent
part of the icon, which gets passed through to the desktop.  The
result is that the root menu pops up instead of the intended
deiconification.

This behavior differs from some other window managers (and M$ Windows)
where clicking within the bounds of the icon, even on transparent
portions of the icon, results in a click on the icon itself.  This
looks just as nice and makes for a less error-prone experience.

Is there some easy config fix for this in FVWM that I've missed in the
man page?  I know I could just not use shaped icons, or use more dense
icons, but that would detract from the spiffiness.

Barring a configuration fix, has anyone given any thought to how this
could be implemented in FVWM?  My knowledge of the X Shape extension
is limited but I don't believe that it allows you to catch clicks
passed to transparent portions of the window.  Technically, there is
no transparent part of the window (I think).  Am I wrong?

One thought I had would be to implement an non-shaped InputOnly window
over the shaped pixmap icon window.  Then map/move/resize it along
with the pixmap icon window.  But looking through the code this would
seem to be a big change.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].