Subject: FVWM: Application resizing failure

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:34:27 +0100

I have a certain application, written in Perl/Tk, which does not work properly
with 2.4.6 or 2.4.8; but did work okay with 2.2.4 and previous, and *does*
work okay with 2.5.2.

The problem: when a certain button is pressed in a Perl/Tk window:
        a text box is removed from the window
        then a new one is added
        then some text inserted into this new text box
        then the text box is removed
        then another new one is added
        then some text is inserted into this third text box
        then the size of the third text box is set

Out of context this sounds like a crazy thing to want, but trust me it is
sensible (the window is running a command for the user, first discarding the
old output, then showing standard error during the run, then standard output
after finishing, and resizing to suit the new output text right at the end).

This results in several window resizes, and on 2.4.6 and 2.4.8 the geometry
ends up wrong. Either it ends up being the smallest that was asked for (i.e.
without the text box) or correct in width but smallest in height! The resizes
can happen quite quickly, but I have tried adding in 2 seconds sleeps between
each stage, and it makes no difference. I could try to write a minimal example
program if that would help.

As I said it works okay again in 2.5.2, but I guessed it might be an unknown
bug that has been accidentally fixed, on the grounds that you would have
wanted to fix it in 2.4.8 too. True?

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:42:35 +0200

>         then the size of the third text box is set

Um, I don't see where this involves any resizing.

> each stage, and it makes no difference.

I can't say anything good about it without seeing the
configuration requests from the application.  

> I could try to write a minimal example program if that would help.

Please do.

> wanted to fix it in 2.4.8 too. True?

Sounds like a good candidate to be fixed in Tk.  Fvwm usually just
does what the application requests in exactly that order.  For
example, I have a similar problem with xemacs since 2.3.x, but
fvwm is really doing everything right.  Instead, xemacs chokes on
its own events.  It's timing dependent.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].