Subject: FVWM: fvwm and GNOME

From: Ronald Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 2002 16:41:44 +0200

Hi,

When I use fvwm as the WM for GNOME and try to open another X on another
display then fvwm doesn't get started. I need to manually start fvwm
then. Is this a bug or do I need a special command line switch?

thx,
ron

-- 
/\/\  Dipl.-Inf. Ronald Wahl                /\/\        C S N         /\/\
\/\/  [email-masked] \/\/  ------------------  \/\/
/\/\  http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~row/  /\/\  network and system  /\/\
\/\/  GnuPG/PGP key available               \/\/    administration    \/\/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:09:31 +0000

> then. Is this a bug or do I need a special command line switch?

If gnome-session reuses the same session when run under another DISPLAY
(and this is what it seems to do) it will not work. FVWM saves -d argument
in gnome-session, this is needed for multihead and some other cases.

I suggest you to define one session for each DISPLAY and run gnome-session
with one or another session as argument depending on DISPLAY.
There will not be such problem if 2 different sessions are used, I think.
The benefit of this is also that you have 2 sets of applications that
are restored on different displays instead of one set. This is probably
what you want, otherwise you would not open another X.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ronald Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 00:26:05 +0200

> what you want, otherwise you would not open another X.

Ah ok, I will try this. Thanks!

ron

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 00:18:54 +0200

> then. Is this a bug or do I need a special command line switch?

Probably neither.  It depends on how fvwm is started in your
system and how you start the second X server.  Since you are using
gnome, the fvwm on the first X Server is probably started via gdm
(the gnome display manager).  If you started the second X Server
with "xinit" or "startx", you should put the line starting fvwm in
your $HOME/.xinitrc.  Personally, I have a menu entry that starts
the second X server with

  exec xinit /bin/sleep 100000 -- :1

and another entry that invokes fvwm on it

  fvwm2 -d :1 $HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc

If you still have trouble with this, please provide more details
on how you start your X servers and fvwm.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].