Subject: FVWM: Re: .fvwm2rc syntax guide?

From: Len Philpot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:23:00 -0500

(My apologies if this reply is quoted wrong or inaccurate - I was a bit
careless with a 'd$' in mutt... Must've had the wrong message selected,
so I had to go to the web archive and paste it back in here to reply)

>You are adding the position hint to the wrong command.  It only
>works with the "Menu" and "Popup" commands.  This is because it's
>a parameter of a specific menu invocation, not of the menu as a
>whole.  Try this instead:
>
>  *FvwmTaskBarStartMenu RootMenu root +0p o100-25p SelectInPlace
>
>FvwmTaskBar passes the whole string with "Menu" prepended to fvwm.
>It's really not the most intuitive syntax I could make up.

That works great - Thanks. Well...actually, I changed the 25 to 21,
but... :)

>That's mostly a relic of the "fvwm" menu style.  I never
>understood why it had to be so annoying, but we never changed it
>fpr backward compatibility.  The first menu style everybody may
>want to use is
>
>  MenuStyle * mwm
>
>which corrects most of the funny behaviour.

Once again - It's not so much that I find it "actively" annoying, but
rather just a matter of personal preference.

>You're welcome.  I know the documentation isn't good for
>beginners.  As someone else pointed out, being a developer
>disqualifies me for writing a tutorial.  That again brings us back
>to the issue that we need a volunteer to write and maintain such a
>guide.

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------+
|  Len Philpot       ><>         http://philpot.org/  |
|  [email-masked]     [email-masked] (alt)  |
+-----------------------------------------------------+
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].