Subject: FVWM: Where is focus during PipeRead from FvwmButtons?

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:36:13 +0100

I use PipeRead a lot as a `synchronised' Exec. I get the impression its
behaviour has changed fundamentally since 2.2, in what happens to everything
else during a PipeRead. I wonder if this is related to the change of behaviour
of the Wait command?

Say I press a FvwmButton button which pops up a menu, I select an item which
invokes a function including a PipeRead in it. While this PipeRead is running,
I click on another FvwmButton button.

In 2.2, after a delay, the menu associated with the second button pops up.

In 2.4.8, after a delay, the *root* menu pops up!

In 2.5.2 the press of the second FvwmButton button is ignored.

Personally, I prefer the 2.2 behaviour, but the 2.5 one is acceptable. What
2.4 does is quite frightening -- I have accidentally started all sorts of
options from the root menu!

I assume the 2.4.8 behaviour is a bug caused by some change since 2.2. Is the
2.5 behaviour deliberate (e.g. to plug the 2.4 bug)? Is the 2.2 behaviour
considered bad, or deliberately dumped on the altar of some better gain, or
just unintentionally lost?

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:04:11 +0200

> just unintentionally lost?

It's not a bug, it's the watch cursor.  Again, disable it with

  BusyCursor Read off

before your PipeRead calls.  I'm sorry that it gives you so much
trouble.  The change in cursor shape was intended to give better
feedback that fvwm isn't accepting input at the moment.  We had
hoped that the watch cursor would be self explaining.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].