Subject: FVWM: FvwmIconMan: Can't set geometry

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:30:43 +0200

Hi,
I'd like to simply start my session with a FvwmIconMan on my screen.
However, it appears always in the upper left corner. (It is not
swallowed into FvwmButtons.) How do I place it elsewhere?

Nothing of the following was successful (these values are just to test
it):

*FvwmIconMan: Geometry 100x100+50+50
FvwmIconMan -geometry 100x100+50+50
Style FvwmIconMan Geometry 100x100+50+50

?

'bye
 Felix
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:02:51 +0200

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:26:35 -0700
Rainer Koehler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > By the way: I have searched the man pages for more than 1 hour to
> > find the way. The discussion about the documentation of fvwm2 via
> > the man pages will not come to an end ... ;-)
> 
> That's interesting.  Why didn't you find the relevant information?
> I just searched for "geometry" and found two entries in the
> "Configuration Options Reference Chart", the two options in the full
> list of options, and about three examples.
> 
> Admittedly, the text in the Reference Chart is misleading (and someone
> gave exactly this chart as an example for a good manpage...), the full
> explanations are not very clear, either (you have to figure out that
> "geometry" means position and size), but the examples are quite clear,
> I think.

Yes, the reference chart is a good overview. But the detailed
description of geometry stuff is not very helpful.

The description of 'managergeometry' doesn't mention the option of
positioning, the 'default 1x0' in 'Configurations Options Ref. Chart'
leads the reader also into the opposite direction, and, third, the new
term 'managergeometry' (in comparison to 'geometry') made me think that
something is different - and I interpreted it that position was not a
suitable attribute here.

> I don't think you're stupid, but I would like to know how a manpage
> has to be written so that the readers understand it.  So, I encourage
> you to think about it and submit an improved manpage to the developers
> ;-)

I don't think you're stupid neighter, so you'll know that there's no
time for everyone to be into everything ;-) I hope that those who
administrate the current man page will decide if to improve this aspect.

I am discussing general ideas about better documentation in another
forum right now.

Schoene Gruesse,
 Felix