Subject: FVWM: Multi-byte fonts, and locale(?)

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:27:44 +0100

With 2.4.6 (a la Red Hat 7.3 rpm) I got:

[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset fixed, trying 'fixed'

This was followed by some other font problems, e.g. the FvwmPager and
FvwmButtons. (And FvwmTaskBar...)

Red Hat have enabled multi-byte fonts in their 2.4.6 RPM, and I note such is
not a default compile option of 2.4. Is that the basis of the problem?

I wanted to get AnotherLevelUp to work okay with a standard Red Hat fvwm RPM,
so grepping for clues through old emails on this list I tried putting

        SetEnv LANG C
        SetEnv LC_CTYPE ""

early in the configuration. This seemed to get rid of some font problems,
although not the above error message presumeably because that occurs before
the SetEnv. (I could set LANG to C in the Xclients, etc, but it is not worth
it just to get rid of one benign error message, and I have a FVWM version
specific mechanism for the FVWM config commands in AnotherLevelUp, so the
SetEnv is put in only for 2.4.*.)

The same behaviour was exhibited in 2.4.8 (after I remembered to enable
multibyte).

It all works fine with 2.5.2, no need to alter locale. :-)

Would I be right in summarising that the 2.5 series has multi-byte fonts
sorted `properly', whereas they are still `dodgey' in 2.4 and hence they were
disabled by default; and Red Hat was `wrong' to enable them in their
distributed RPM? Or am I missing something?

Best wishes, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:29:04 +0200

> not a default compile option of 2.4. Is that the basis of the problem?

Yes

> It all works fine with 2.5.2, no need to alter locale. :-)

 :o)
 
> distributed RPM? Or am I missing something?

Multibyte should be enabled in 2.4.x only for a CJK language.
Unfortunately, the code is not perfect.
We have rewrite the "locale" code in 2.5.x.

Regards, Olivier