Subject: FVWM: Scroll Lock mode

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:00:04 +0200

Hi again,

I have been coping with a specific problem ever since i started using
fvwm one year ago. For some reason, from time to time my key bindings
stopped working, and closing windows by clicking on the button in the
top left corner of the window didn't work either. Because i couldn't
reproduce the error, i didn't mention it (yet). However, i seem to have
found the reason: going into 'Scroll Lock' mode seems to change some
things that make fvwm ignore these events. It's a mystery to me how i
get into that 'scroll lock' mode, but pressing scroll lock seems to
solve the problem every time (and pressing it again causes the events to
be ignored again).
Is there a solution to this ?

cheers,
Remko
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:31:43 +0200

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:00:04PM +0200, Remko Troncon wrote:
> top left corner of the window didn't work either.

Oh dear!  You've lived with the most frequently encountered
problem for a year without knowing that the solution is written in
big friendly letters right at the front of the fvwm FAQ. ;-)

> Because i couldn't

Yes.  The one I recommend is to disable the scroll-lock, num-lock
and possibly caps-lock keys conpletely.  From our FAQ (note that you
need at least fvwm-2.4.0 for the IgnoreModifiers command):

-------------------------- snip ----------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers.  You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings.  With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in your configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore.  If you do not have a lightning fast machine or very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers.  So do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server.  The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then.  To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Fvwm has to be restarted to use the changes made by xmodmap.
   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.  If you disable the CapsLock key in your keyboard map in
   this way, you can speed up fvwm a bit by removing the Lock
   modifier from the list of ignored modifiers:

     IgnoreModifiers
-------------------------- snip ----------------------------

Don't hesitate to ask for further help.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:53:23 +0200

> big friendly letters right at the front of the fvwm FAQ. ;-)

Oops. Didn't see that one :( Then again, it took me a year to find out
that it was due to the modifiers that things stopped working. I
still don't understand why these modifiers get turned on from time to
time. 
Thanks for the tip !

Another small question: Is it possible that DGradient doesnt work in the 
development versions ? I have a line
    MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 2 grey50 50 grey95 50 grey50
but it doesnt seem to do anything since i upgraded.

Thanks a lot,
Remko

---

From: szonyi calin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:00:03 +0200 (CEST)

--- Remko Troncon <[email-masked]> a écrit : > > Oh
dear!  You've lived with the most frequently
> encountered

On my keyboard pressing CTRL+s activates ScrollLock
Pressing it again doesn't deactivate it so i have
to press the real ScrollLock key. :-(

Calin

=====
--
The UNIX Hierarchy - Beginner
- insecure with the concept of a terminal 
- has yet to learn the basics of "vi" 
- has not figured out how to get a directory 
- still has trouble with typing <RETURN> after each line of input

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !
Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:18:02 +0200

> but it doesnt seem to do anything since i upgraded.

It works fine here.  What version did you upgrade to?  If you
switched to using colour sets for menus, the MenuFace style does
not work anymore.  You have to use the builtin Colorset command to
change the gradient (2.5.x)

  Colorset <colorset number> DGradient 128 2 grey50 50 grey95 50 grey50

or FvwmTheme (2.4.x):

  SendToModule FvwmTheme Colorset <colorset number> ...

If you can't figure it our yourself, send me your config file so I
can take a look at it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:21:13 +0000

> to press the real ScrollLock key. :-(

Press Ctrl-Q.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Remko Troncon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:20:07 +0200

> change the gradient (2.5.x)

I'm not using colorsets.
It's definitely a bug. The problem is that i can't seem to pinpoint the
reason for it. This is what happens:
- When i use anti-aliased fonts in my menu (e.g. with MenuStyle * Font 
  "xft:Arial:size=11"), i never get the gradient. 
- When i don't use the anti-aliased font, sometimes the gradient shows,
  sometimes it doesn't. What i get all the time is the thing seen on
    http://spike.ulyssis.org/tmp/snap.png
  The blue rectangle for highlighting the active menu item doesnt get
  cleared, and leaves a trace behind.

cheers,
Remko

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:25:28 +0200

>   cleared, and leaves a trace behind.

Which fvwm version?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^