Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 dropped from Red Hat Linux!: RH7.3 fonts(?)

From: John Latham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:08:58 +0100

> From: E Frank Ball <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 dropped from Red Hat Linux!

> Speaking of which, the fvwm2 package in RedHat 7.3 seems to be broken.
> I could not get the titles on the buttons on my buttonbar to work.
> ...
>
> Anybody else notice this?  Anybody get it to work?

I had similar problems with Pager, and figured it might be a multi byte font
and locale problem. Did you get

	[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset fixed, trying 'fixed'

and other font complaints in your error output?

If so, putting:

	SetEnv LANG C
	SetEnv LC_CTYPE ""

near the front of the config fixes some font problems -- you still get the above
first error, but other font problems go away. Of course, so does your locale
in window titles, etc..

If this is the problem, and it went away for you when you recompiled then that
suggests the compiled binaries might be locale dependent, which would sort of
inhibit a global binary distribution (e.g. Red Hat distro...) a bit! Could
this be one reason why Red Hat are giving up on our favourite WM? Can anyone
comment on this?

Thank, John Latham
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].