Subject: FVWM: Error: "FvwmTheme is obsolete"

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:28:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,
I'm running FVWM 2.5.2 on a RedHat 6.2. with fvwm-themes-base-0.6.0-1

When starting fvwm via fvmw-themes
(entry in .xintrc:
exec /usr/bin/fvwm-themes-start
) I see this error message on the console:

"[FVWM-Themes]: Starting FVWM under the main fvwm-themes session
FvwmTheme is obsolete, see the Colorset section of the fvwm(1) man
page [FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'FvwmNetHints' in
ModulePath '/u sr/libexec/fvwm/2.5.2'"

1:
How do I get rid of this error?

2:
Is there a chance that there will be a new RPM for
fvwm-themes-base to get rid of the error?

To help myself for the first error ("FvwmTheme is obsolete") I changed
.fvwm/themes-rc and .fvwm/themes/personal/colors according to man fvwm
(Colorsets):

#######################################################

In the 2.4.x  versions  a  special  module  FvwmTheme  was
       introduced to manage colorsets.  The FvwmTheme functional-
       ity was moved to the core  fvwm,  so  this  module  became
       obsolete.  Some additional information about colorsets may
       be found in the man page of FvwmTheme(1), although  it  is
       obsolete now.

       Old syntax:

         DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTheme: *
         *FvwmTheme: Colorset 0 fg black, bg rgb:b4/aa/94
         *FvwmTheme: Colorset 1 fg black, bg rgb:a1/b2/c8

       corresponds to the new syntax:

         CleanupColorsets
         Colorset 0 fg black, bg rgb:b4/aa/94
         Colorset 1 fg black, bg rgb:a1/b2/c8

#########################################################
to no avail so far ...

The FVWM-Beta is running very well here (i.e., the errors I got so far
were probably due to my own nonsense and I was able to fix them ..)

Help :) ... and thanks in anticipation

Best Regards
Wolfgang

PS: The RPM's for a Redhat 6.2 are on
http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/

They where built on a heavily updated RedHat 6.2 .. you probably
should have at least the latest updates for Redhat 6.2 to install them
... :)

Wolfgang

-- 
New Key on: http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/
Key fingerprint = 5FFA E2D1 6DB5 C023 0C5F  3FA7 4E08 5F9F 1560 0BA8
                  [created on 2002-07-03]

http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:12:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Jul 24, 2002, 02:28 (+0200) Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> [ ... ]

> PS: The RPM's for a Redhat 6.2 are on
          ^^^^^

I wanted to write: RPM'S for FVWM ...

Sorry
Wolfgang

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:17:49 +0000

> How do I get rid of this error?

The second warning should only happen if you switched on the old-style
EWMH support (replaced in 2.5.x). It is disabled by default.

> fvwm-themes-base to get rid of the error?

No, sorry, the first FvwmTheme warning is not going to disappear.

fvwm-themes-0.6.0 normally runs without a single warning with both
fvwm-2.4.8 and fvwm-2.5.2, this is the only warning that you get on
the 2.5.x startup. There is nothing you can do about it, except for:

  1) Ignore this warning (preferable)
  2) Don't run alpha/beta fvwm versions
  3) Patch FvwmTheme not to issue this warning
  4) Wait for 0.6.1 where FvwmTheme will be started only with 2.4.x

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:38:52 +0000

> I wanted to write: RPM'S for FVWM ...

Until now we didn't have rpms for 2.5.x.

I don't know which features to include. I want to have new features:

  * bidi (Arabic and Hebrew are broken without this, requires fribidi)
  * png (requires libpng)
  * xinerama (can't easily work on RH 6.x because of too old XFree)
  * xft (can't work on RH 6.x because of too old XFree, I think)
  * xrender (can't work on RH 6.x because of too old XFree, I think)

Probably it is a time to move to RH 7.x rpms for 2.5.x.

I guess there are users that badly need these features and the ones that
don't like to add additional requirements. Too bad.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 05:02:42 +0200 (CEST)

> EWMH support (replaced in 2.5.x). It is disabled by default.

... As far as I can see:
I *think* I didn't switch anything on or off in this regard during the
FVWM RPM build:  excerpt from the script to build the RPM:

###########################
[ ... ]

tar -xzvf *.tar.gz && \
 cd fvwm-*/ && \
 rm -f config.cache && \
 ./configure && \
 make rpm-dist release=1 && \

[ ... ]

###########################

But I installed IIRC the new beta-FVWM over the old 2.4.-6 (?) FVWM
... I suspect that building/installing the new Beta cleanly with
new-style(?) EWMH support will only be possible after erasing really
*everything* from previous FVWM installs ... which means a lot of
post-install work :/, if I understand correctly :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:45:52 +0000

> post-install work :/, if I understand correctly :)

I don't understand this, but if you speak about fvwm, you don't need to
erase anything prior to installing a new version.

And if you speak about fvwm-themes, if you don't enable EWMH support (that
is for the patched 2.4.x) you end up with the good 2.5.x EWMH defaults.
This way EWMH support should work in both fvwm-ewmh-2.4.x and fvwm-2.5.x.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:57:46 +0000

> I *think* I didn't switch anything on or off in this regard during the

I see it now, you run 0.6.0 not 0.6.1. This explains FvwmNetHints warning.
Also in the rest of my reply I meant fvwm-themes-0.6.1 when said 0.6.0.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:42:15 +0200 (CEST)

> Also in the rest of my reply I meant fvwm-themes-0.6.1 when said 0.6.0.

    ...  Thanks a lot, Mikhael: Perhaps I should get myself better
glasses :)

At any rate: after having installed now fvwm-themes-base-0.6.1-1 and a
fresh rebuilt of FVWM 2.5.2 the only error message that I can see now
at fvwm start-time is this line on the console from where I start
fvwm-themes:

page

Depending on the FVWM configuration trials here I sometimes get other
error messages (including the "old" one concerning "FvwmNetHints"),
but I think (not being sure of it, still trying) these errors come
only if i make FVWM read the old (??) config files (i.e. those from
previously installed FVWM versions) in
.fvwm/themes/personal
instead of those in
/usr/share/fvwm/themes/*

After having installed fvwm-themes-base-0.6.1-1, I rebuilt the current
stable and unstable FVWM versions: I did this cos I didn't know
exactly what impact the current fvwm-themes-base version here on my
machine has on a FVWM RPM build process on the same machine. Results
(for a RedHat 6.2) are here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/

Enjoy! :)

Regards
Wolfgang

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:09:18 +0000

> previously installed FVWM versions) in

Please report all possible problems on fvwm-themes mailing lists.
Generally, you should "Restart fvwm-themes-start" after upgrading.

> http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/

fvwm is not affected by fvwm-themes at all, so rebuilding was not needed.

I will add these rpms later. When you build rpms for RH 7.x please install
fribidi and fribidi-devel from Mandrake first.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:46:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Mikhael

> Please report all possible problems on fvwm-themes mailing lists.

No problem, but how do you know in advance that a difficulty with FVWM
is one that is related strictly to either FVWM or FVWM-themes: I
think, this (FVWM-related or not) is a question that even the FVWM or
FVWM-themes coders cannot answer easily at times.
At least I am definitely not in the position to decide such a question
without errors.

The only possible solution I see for that, is that as soon as I have
fvwm-themes installed I'm on the wrong mailing list here and move to
a FVWM-themes list.
But how long will it take, until the folks on the FVWM-themes list
will tell me to ask the FVWM list?

Kafka, (at least I *think* it was him), I hear you knocking ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:00:27 +0000

>From your description I thought you had problems with _using_ fvwm-themes.

Problems of _building_ the official rpms are better not to be discussed on
any lists, but with me privately. Thank you.

Regards,
Mikhael.