Subject: FVWM: Problem with xmms - shaped window

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:07:08 +0200

Hi there,

I realized a strange behaviour using xmms which uses a  shaped  window
in  version  2.5.1.  xmms provides an option "double size" which shows
the window zoomed in double size. 

If I start xmms in normal size mode and provide this option afterwards
the  contents of the window are zoomed but the window size remains the
same which looks very weired and is quite use less.  If  I  start  the
window in double size I can switch form double size to normal size and
from normal size to double size without this strange behaviour. I  put
a screenshot on the web:
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp/download/xmms_problem.jpg  to  make  it
clearer. 

The problem does not occur with version 2.4.6 but it  occurs  as  well
which  version  2.5.1  even  if  shaped support is disabled (configure
option --disable-shape). 

Any hints.

Uwe
-- 
+----------------------------------------------
| Uwe Pross
| mail : mailto:[email-masked]
| www  : http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
+----------------------------------------------

Have a nice day ;-).

-----------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:47:42 +0200

> which  version  2.5.1  even  if  shaped support is disabled (configure

Upgrade to the latest xmms release.  Versions prior to 1.2.4 are
*very* buggy in their window handling.  The latest release works
fine.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:08:11 +0200

> *very* buggy in their window handling.  The latest release works

I had version 1.2.4 running and upgraded to 1.2.7 but still  the  same
problem. I had a try with windowmaker and fvwm-2.4.6  which  show  not
that problem. I also realized that shaped windows like xmms or gkrellm
are hard to move. If I try to move them quickly they  alway  remain  a
couple  of points after the mouse pointer. Shaped windows appear as if
the are very sluggish. Moving shaped windows consumes  a  lot  of  cpu
power  as  well. I even had a try with fvwm-2.4.6 and windowmaker both
move xmms much faster than version 2.5.1. 

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:06:18 +0200

> move xmms much faster than version 2.5.1. 

Um, you're using 2.5.1?  Bad choice - and I fear it's even worse.
You don't happen to have a snapshot that was mad prior to 6th of
March?  That explains the problem with slow window movement.  It's
upgrade time again ;-)  2.5.1 (and the earlier snapshots) don't
even deserve to be called 'alpha' quality.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 07:56:53 +0200

> even deserve to be called 'alpha' quality.

I am going to have to try with 2.5.2 and tell the results. 

Uwe
-- 
+--------------------------------------------------
| Uwe Pross 
| mail : mailto:[email-masked]
| www  : http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
+--------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:11:44 +0200

> I am going to have to try with 2.5.2 and tell the results. 

Everything works beautifully :-) xmms can switch between sizes and
shaped windows can be moved as expected.

Great work, thanks for that.

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).