Subject: FVWM: FvwmTaskBar: Colors and button press event

From: Felix Kater <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:28:25 +0200

Hi,

this is my first posting to this list and I hope I am right to ask
questions about Fvwm2 and FvwmTaskBar here. :-)

Two questions about FvwmTaskBar:

When a Window is deactivated or minimized the taskbar button of this
window is pushed out. That's ok. However, I the case that the window is
minimized the task bar button also changes its background color to
white! How can I change that? This seems to have nothing to do with the
attributes 'Fore', 'Back', 'Hilight', ...

If you click to the screen then the root menu pops up right when you
push down the mouse button. So, you can then just move the mouse
(holding the mouse button down) and trigger the event with releasing the
mouse button. However, you can't do that with the start button of the
taskbar. Here the menu is shown only if you click-and-release the mouse
button and later click again on an item. So you click two times. Is
there a way to popup the start command menu right with the 'mouse down'
event and not 'mouse click'?

Thank You
 Felix

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:58:34 +0000

> questions about Fvwm2 and FvwmTaskBar here. :-)

Yes, this is the only relable place for such questions.

> attributes 'Fore', 'Back', 'Hilight', ...

Do not IconFore and IconBack as specified in the man page work for you?  

I would suggest to use colorsets instead to specify any colors in FVWM.
Then you may share them among different modules.

  # tips/balloons in modules
  Colorset 16 fg black, bg bisque

  # standard item
  Colorset 17 fg black, bg #c0c0c0  # optionally use Pixmap here

  # active item
  Colorset 18 fg white, bg blue3, hi #40b0f0, sh navy

  # iconified item
  Colorset 19 fg black, bg grey51

  # pointed item (only relevant for FvwmIconMan, not FvwmTaskBar)
  Colorset 20 fg black, bg #c0c0c0

  *FvwmTaskBar: Colorset      17
  *FvwmTaskBar: FocusColorset 17  # or 18
  *FvwmTaskBar: IconColorset  19
  *FvwmTaskBar: TipsColorset  16

  *FvwmIconMan: Colorset          12
  *FvwmIconMan: PlainColorset     17
  *FvwmIconMan: FocusColorset     18
  *FvwmIconMan: IconColorset      19
  *FvwmIconMan: SelectColorset    20
  *FvwmIconMan: FocusAndSelectColorset 20

> event and not 'mouse click'?

I don't think there is a way except for changing the sources.

In FvwmButtons in 2.5.2 you may use ActionOnPress option for this.
After all FvwmTaskBar may be emulated using FvwmButtons that swallows
FvwmIconMan and some other buttons.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:41:54 +0000

On 22 Jul 2002 17:04:57 +0200, Felix Kater wrote:
> 
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:58:34 +0000
> Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > > (holding the mouse button down) and trigger the event with releasing
> > > the mouse button. However, you can't do that with the start button
> > > of the taskbar. Here the menu is shown only if you click-and-release
> > > the mouse button and later click again on an item. So you click two
> > > times. Is there a way to popup the start command menu right with the
> > > 'mouse down' event and not 'mouse click'?
> > 
> Hi Mikhael, thank you for your answer!
> 
> It seems that FvwmButtons could solve my problems. Once I tried to
> immitate a taskbar like FvwmTaskBar with FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan. I
> failed, however. So, before I'll try it again: Can you tell me if it is
> possible to tweak FvwmIconMan in a way that it displays buttons with a
> certain width (and not columns)? Are there other things I won't be able
> to do with IconMan that can do TaskBar?

To be honest, it is pretty difficult to create FvwmButtons that simulates
FvwmTaskBar in a perfect way, but if you can live with the fact that there
is no limit on a maximal item width or that there is no space between
items, it is possible. Like on the attached screenshot, it automatically
takes the exact screen width. Don't ask about its configuration, it is not
finished yet. Or if you really want, try fvwm-themes cvs.

I did small enhansments in FvwmIconMan and FvwmButtons in 2.5.2, but
these modules should be much modified to support more features. I can't
promise, but maybe I will have a time in august to add several features.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:35:39 +0000

On 22 Jul 2002 17:04:57 +0200, Felix Kater wrote:
> 
> Are there other things I won't be able to do with IconMan that can do
> TaskBar?

I forgot to mention one feature that FvwmIconMan misses - tips.

It would be nice if someone extract the corresponding code in FvwmTaskBar
into a tip/balloon library with API like SetDelayedTip, DisableDelayedTip.
Or maybe create a new FvwmBalloons module that serves tip requests.
This would be useful in FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan and FvwmPager (it has
balloons, but not the delayed ones). Any generous volunteer?

Regards,
Mikhael.