Subject: FVWM: OpaqueMove... not enough! ;)

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 21:04:27 -0600

Hi there,

I was just wondering if there is any particular reason that there is no
OpaqueResize style (that I know of)? OpaqueMove is nice, but I really
dislike those inverted-color lines that appear during a resize, and I'd
really like to see an OpaqueResize.

Other than that, Fvwm is great. I'll never go back to any other wm ;)

-- 
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
--
innovate, v.:
	To annoy people.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Haninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 22:55:19 +0000

> OpaqueResize style (that I know of)? OpaqueMove is nice, but I really
I'm sure they can work on it.

In the mean time, try out Style ResizeOpaque ;-).

Andy

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 00:41:29 -0600

> In the mean time, try out Style ResizeOpaque ;-).

D'oh! I should learn to RTFM before I post to the list. ;)

I think Fvwm comes with about 136,000 words worth of manpages, or
something like that. Fun, eh?

ResizeOpaque is great, exactly what I wanted. Now Fvwm is perfect ;)

Thanks.

-- 
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
--
"Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance.  It's the thing that makes
 America great.  If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
 have tolerated the last eight years?"
      -- Frank Zappa, Feb 1, 1989
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andrew Haninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:01:54 +0000

> Now Fvwm is perfect ;)
So, with that, Dominik's work is done!

Andy

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 02:00:01 -0600

> So, with that, Dominik's work is done!

Maybe not quite... I'm having some trouble with FvwmPager. Not sure if
it's an FvwmPager problem or what, but in fvwm 2.5.2 it doesn't seem to
be able to render the pages for anything but the first desk.

I find it kind of hard to describe. I use 3x2 pages per desk, but in
fvwmpager only the first desk (the 0th desk) actually has 3x2 pages...
all the other ones are just blank. The desk is the size of 3x2, but
nothing is drawn in the desk (no page outlines, no windows, nothing).

Here's a screenshot of it misbehaving:

http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/pics/fvwmpagerbad.png

I guess I could settle for only having one desk, but that's kind of
annoying.

Is this a known issue? Or am I just doing something wrong?

-- 
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
--
QOTD:
	"I've always wanted to work in the Federal Mint.  And then go on
	strike.  To make less money."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:39:37 +0200 (CEST)

> Is this a known issue? Or am I just doing something wrong?

How do you start the pager in your .fvwm2rc?

You should use a line like this:

+	I	Module FvwmPager 0 1

in the startup funcion.
0 and 1 tells the pager the first and last desk to display.

//Marcus

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:41:01 +0200

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 02:00:01AM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
>something like that.

20177 lines, 105729 words, 666190 characters :-)

> > So, with that, Dominik's work is done!

*grin*

> I guess I could settle for only having one desk, but that's kind of

Hm.  Please strip down your config file as much as possible so
that this still happens and post it here.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 19:38:13 +0000

> that this still happens and post it here.

As I said several days ago on this list, this is a known problem in 2.5.2
and 2.5.1.

Any multi-desk pager (FvwmPager 0 3) even without a config will show it.
The initial drawing of FvwmPager was completely broken at some point.
I fixed all problems in a single desker, but not in a multi-desker.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:10:10 -0600

> 20177 lines, 105729 words, 666190 characters :-)

That's not what I came up with:

feztaa@feztron:/usr/share/man/man1$ {
--> for i in fvwm* Fvwm*  
--> do
--> name=$(echo $i|perl -pi -e 's/\.1$//')
--> man 1 $name|cat 
--> done
--> } | wc
  26466  136635 1292843

26,466 lines, 136,635 words, 1,292,843 characters. Of course, lines
isn't meaningful here because man autowraps; the wider your terminal,
the less lines you'll get. Also, characters isn't meaninful either,
because the more lines you have, the more spaces there will be to make
up the indentation. So really, words is the only measurement that is
useful ;)

> that this still happens and post it here.

Ok, here is the config file that is as stripped as it can possibly be
while still recreating the problem:

DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmPager 0 1

Those three lines in the .fvwm2rc file, with nothing else, causes this
behaviour.

But, on further inspection, Switching to another page or desk, allowing
the pager to go offscreen, fixes it. Of course, this is not possible
when it's sticky, which is how I want it.

Never trust a child farther than you can throw it.

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:11:58 -0600

> As I said several days ago on this list, this is a known problem in 2.5.2

I joined the list after you posted that ;)

> I fixed all problems in a single desker, but not in a multi-desker.

Any chance you'll fix the rest of it?

She cried, and the judge wiped her tears with my checkbook.
		-- Tommy Manville

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 01:43:56 +0200

> I fixed all problems in a single desker, but not in a multi-desker.

Are you saying that the bug is still in the post-2.5.2 development
code?  I don't see any problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 01:44:07 +0200

> --> name=$(echo $i|perl -pi -e 's/\.1$//')

Wow, so much code just to cout words.  With zsh:

  $ wc **/*.1

That's all :-)  Of course it counts formatting instructions too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 21:57:17 -0600

> That's all :-)  Of course it counts formatting instructions too.

Exactly -- my way doesn't count formatting stuff. It's not really that
hard, all I'm doing is taking the .1 off the name so that man will
display it, and then counting everything. And I don't know if you store
your fvwm manpages somewhere other than the default location, but
that would count all the words in all the manpages that I have ;)

Do people know you have freckles everywhere?

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:31:49 +0000

On 08 Jul 2002 01:43:56 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > As I said several days ago on this list, this is a known problem in
> > 2.5.2 and 2.5.1.
> > 

Yes, if you do "cvs update -D '2002-07-06'" and keep the current Flocale.c
the initial drawing of non-first desks (grid and mini-windows) is
incorrect.

Your latest fixes (probably related to MapNotify) indirectly fixed this
problem, but it may appear again.

The problem is that until 2002-07-06 the very first HandleExpose calls
DrawGrid that calls XDrawLine, everything with correct parameters, but
only the first desk grid is shown, so I guess Desks[desk].w window itself
with non-zero desk is not visible. It becomes visible on any operation
(shade, move).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:07:11 +0200

> with non-zero desk is not visible. It becomes visible on any operation

Wow!  The code positioning the pager subwindows is *completely*
broken.  I wonder how we could overlook that for so long.  The
patch you made recently only suppressed a few symptoms but did not
address the real problems, Mikhael.  I'm going to clean up this
mess when I'm back at home.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:13:08 +0200

> mess when I'm back at home.

All fixed in 2.4.9 and 2.5.3.  Please test 2.4.9, the patches are
not without risk.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: "Rob 'Feztaa' Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:00:55 -0600

> All fixed in 2.4.9 and 2.5.3.  Please test 2.4.9, the patches are

Hmm, where do I get 2.5.3 from? fvwm.org says 2.5.2 is latest. You don't
mean CVS, do you?

-- 
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
--
<Deek> nopcode: No, it isn't. Win32 lacks the equivalent of fork().
<Knghtbrd> Deek: windoze is not meant for people who should have access to
           sharp objects, hence no fork()
<Knghtbrd> instead, you must rely on spoon()
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 03:05:09 +0200

> Hmm, where do I get 2.5.3 from? fvwm.org says 2.5.2 is latest. You don't

Yes.  Either wait for tomorrow's snapshot or use cvs.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^