Subject: FVWM: missing graphics in 2.4.8

From: Sigmund Skjelnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:15:42 +0200

Hi, all!
I has downloaded the fvwm2 (fvwm-2.4.8.tar.gz), installed it, and I'm in
progress of testing it out. I have found a couple of sample .fvwm2rc
files, and have tested each one in turn, by copying them to ~/.fvwm2rc
.  system.fvwm2rc-sample-95, is coming up with an uniform gray screen,
I'd have examined the error messages (TTE0) and it seems like a number
of icons are missing, "mini.window.xpm" for instance. No one *.xpm files
are present in the package, and those wanted by sample-95 file is
neither found on the hard disk. Is those samples intended to be
runnable? If so, where are the files? 

I'd tried to follow the instructions in the sample-96 file, to start
fvwm2 whith no .fvwm2rc file, and run "config 95" in the main menu. This
script do not do anything. It may be that the script files are placed
differently than expected by fvwm2, but how to point to the proper place
without fvwm2rc ?

I'd will be very grateful for any help.

I'd vould like to have an -95 look on my desktop, as I'm used to use it.
Now I'm upgrading (from 2.0.4) in hope to work around an problem of has
to use icon line to change focus ( sloppy turned off). I'm planning to
find a 95 looking sample and thereafter modyfy it, put in menu items for
programs I'd have etc. etc. Have tried the old rc, the result looked to
me as format of .fvwm2rc are quite different from .fvwm95rc, it has to
be reworked from scratch.

-- 
Best regards
Sigmund Skjelnes
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:34:24 +0000

> runnable? If so, where are the files? 

You can download them from the Home Page www.fvwm.org.
Untar them to any directory where you have a write access.

> differently than expected by fvwm2, but how to point to the proper place

I suppose you did "make install" properly, so modules and data can be
found by the executable.

Remove ~/.fvwm directory (and ~/.fvwm2rc too if you have it) and choose
"Setup 95 Script" from the root menu again. What do you get? Any errors?
If you get a setup dialog, specify your icon path on the first step.

> be reworked from scratch.

You may also try fvwm-themes, it installs all data used, maybe it will
save you a time of emulating what you want. But then, please read its FAQ.

Regards,
Mikhael.