Subject: RE: FVWM: multiple screens + window dragging oddity

From: "Michel, Philipp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:21:05 +0100

Hello,

I got the latest sources from CVS today (2.5.3), compiled and installed
them. However, FVWM still exhibits exactly the same behaviour as specified
below. I re-compiled, taking all options out that I could, but the behaviour
is still there. I tested the resizing and it too behaves as before, namely
making the window bigger until I reach the right-hand end of the screen,
after which the resize frame snaps all the way to the left hand side and is
one pixel wide, after which the window size increases again (hope this
description is intuitive enough).
Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply to my previous mail.

Cheers,

-Philipp

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominik Vogt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 17 July 2002 10:25
To: Michel, Philipp; fvwm
Subject: Re: FVWM: multiple screens + window dragging oddity

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:36:49PM +0100, Michel, Philipp wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> I just installed FVWM 2.4.8 (compiled from source) on a Solaris 8 box with
2
> screens attached to it. Even though the Xserver supports xinerama, I am
> trying to configure fvwm to run nicely on similar 2 screen boxes with
> solaris 2.6 (no xinerama support). As expected, fvwm2 loads up separate
> instances on both screens and I can move the mouse pointer between them.
> Now, if I try to drag an xterm window from the (physical) screen on my
left
> to the (physical) screen on my right, the window outline pops back in to
the
> same left physical screen, from the left border. It's as if the window
> "wraps around". At the same time, however, the mouse pointer changes to
the
> physical screen on my right and continues going that way. I hence move the
> window outline on the left screen while the pointer is on the right
screen.
> Is there any way I can force the window AND pointer to just stop at the
> right hand edge of the left screen when dragging while still having the
> pointer go from desktop to desktop when it is moved on its own?
> I have a binary of fvwm 2.2.4 which does just that, even when executed
with
> the same .fvwm2rc file.
> Are there any compile time options I could enable?

In releases prior to 2.5.x, fvwm's behaviour is mostly random when
the pointer is not on the managed screen.  I have just committed a
patch that should restore the old behaviour in the 2.5 branch.
Could you please try out the next snapshot (tomorrow) or fetch the
sources from CVS and try it out?  I can't test this myself right
now.  If it works, the same patch will be part of the 2.4.9
release.  Could you please also test what happens when you do the
same, but resize the window instead.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:31:06 +0200

> Thanks a lot for the quick reply to my previous mail.

I've fixed that in the stable and the development branch.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].