Subject: Re: FVWM: Complicated window placement ;)

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:27:44 +0200

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:08:51AM -0600, Gregg Dameron wrote:
> Dominik Vogt wrote:
> 
> > Oops, I must have missed the original message.  Anyway, the right
> > way to achieve this is the StartsOnScreen style:
> >
> >   Style * StartsOnScreen c
> >
> > (c = current screen = screen with the pointer).  Put that line in
> > your .fvwm2rc file.
> 
> The man page (2.4.7) speaks of this Style only in an Xinerama context.
> Does it work for dual fvwm instances as well?

No.  On a multi screen setup, the application chooses the screen
it comes up itself, usually the screen from the DISPLAY variable.
With Xinerama, there is only one logical screen that is divided
between several monitors.  Fvwm knows the boundaries of them and
can place windows appropriately.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 18:36:19 +0200

> can place windows appropriately.

By the way, you can of course control the screen on which
windows start by modifying the DISPLAY variable.  If you want all
new windows on screen 1 for example, put this line at the top of
your StartFunction in fvwm:

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I SetEnv DISPLAY :0.1

You could also write a function that calls a program that finds
out the screen number with the pointer and set the DISPLAY
variable accordingly before starting a program.  But if the
pointer moves to a different screen before the window appears
that won't work.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:49:57 +0100

>>(c = current screen = screen with the pointer).  Put that line in

Thanks very much, this works great. One minor improvement I could make
is if I could specify a region of the screen that FVWM should not place
any windows in.. is that possible?

The reason is that I use SLS mode on 2 monitors that have different
resolutions, so where FVWM believes that the second screen starts is
actually about an inch into the first screen. If I could prevent new
windows from appearing on that chunk of the second screen it would be
very helpful. The reason I use SLS is because I use a twin head NVidia
card, and though the drivers claim to support Xinerama, it doesn't seem
to work very well.

I would also like to take the oportunity to thank Dominik and the other
regulars on this list for always being so helpful. I've never had to
wait more than a couple of hours for a response and they are always
helpful and polite even though they must get a lot of repettitive
questions. Thanks!

Cheers,

-- 
Andy

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:02:19 +0100

>  >>(c = current screen = screen with the pointer).  Put that line in

As an additional question related to the one above - I find now that I 
have inserted the Style line you provided, the BarButtons that I use 
disappeared from it's usual position in the top right of my second screen.

It was being defined with:
*BarButtons: Geometry 30x30-5+0@1

but after adding the Style line I needed to change it to:

*BarButtons: Geometry 30x30-5+0@2

Just to get the same effect. Any ideas why?

Cheers,

-- 
Andy

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 17:53:34 +0200

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:49:57PM +0100, Andy Arbon wrote:
> resolutions, ...

There is now a better way.  I just wrote a new command.  With
XineramaSlsScreens you can define the geometry of your Sls
screens, e.g.

  XineramaSlsScreens 2 1024x768+0+0 1280x1024+1024+768

Just use this instead of XineramaSlsSize

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:18:20 +0100

> Just use this instead of XineramaSlsSize
Many thanks for doing that.

I've downloaded the 10th June build and it works brilliantly - I'm now 
going to go back and hook out all my bastardised max/minimise functions 
I wrote to work round this problem before. ;)

Many thanks again.

Andy

---

From: Andy Arbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:04:01 +0100

> Just use this instead of XineramaSlsSize

As an addition to my last mail, I just thought I'd point out something 
that I've noticed whilst playing with it which might be useful to others..

With the above command you can define sls screens that do not have to 
cover the entire X desktop. I have 2 different size monitors but a 
rectangular desktop, so the right hand one scrolls up and down a little 
on contact with the top and bottom borders to cover the entire height. 
Using the new SlsScreens command I can specify the screens as:

XineramaSlsScreens 2 1152x864+0+0 1024x768+1152+0

And now FVWM doesn't place or maximise any windows into the bottom part 
of the screen that is only accessible by scrolling. This is very handy 
and it means I can now go back to using the proper Maximize function 
instead of the Move/Raise/Warp combos I was using and regain the restore 
functionality.

Cheers,

--
Andy

---

From: Christian MICHON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:54:27 +0200 (CEST)

Will PNG support be part of fvwm-2.4.8, please ?

Or is it really unfeasable ?

Thx and rgds,
Christian

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !
Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:21:40 +0000

> Or is it really unfeasable ?

PNG support that is only a part of a new image loading code is too big to
be backported to 2.4.x. Convert your png to xpm if you can't use 2.5.1+.

Regards,
Mikhael.