Subject: FVWM: icon <--> application (was: WM-icons - contribution)

From: "Riswick, J.G.A. van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:07:11 +0200

Hi!

I like the 'flat' look of this icon set. 

I was wondering if in fvwm-themes there is somewhere a 
function that in some magic way finds an icon for a given
application, maybe through some kind of an icon-database 
or something. I'm working on an application launching 
panel, and one of the problems i face is to always find 
an icon for a given application. It is possible by using
the gnome libraries, but I'd prefer not to...

best regards

jos

-----Original Message-----

For your info, here is a preview of the new icon set by Maciej
Szymanski:

  http://wm-icons.sf.net/preview/48x48-infox.html

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:47:43 +0000

> the gnome libraries, but I'd prefer not to...

Well, yes, there is an application-matching-pattern-to-icon database.
But it will not help you. There is a need in a wider application database
including name, resource strings and category. This should be enough to
assign an icon (using wm-icons categories), to automatically create
application menus and to implement application choosers for bindings and
panels like yours.

You may use GNOME or KDE *.desktop database for now, I think.
Or maybe even query FreshMeat online to get a category, I don't know.

Regards,
Mikhael.