Subject: FVWM: Icon reliefs

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 20:19:04 +0200 (CEST)

Some time ago someone asked if it's possible to get icons with
"boxes" around them.
And someone answered that if you turn off shaped support when running
./configure this effect will be achived.

But this prevents windows (like xeyes) from being transparent.
So I edited icons.c, replaceing all "FShapesSupported" with "0" to achive
this effect just on icons.

This works quite well. Though some icons still dont have a relief around
them. For example FvwmPager and TkDesk (client supplied).

I thought maybe this doesn't affect client supplied icons, but ymessenger
also has it's own icon, and it gets a relief.

What's the reason for this?
Is only transparant icons given this relief?

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:10:34 +0200

> Is only transparant icons given this relief?

Applications can specify icon pixmaps or icon windows.  Fvwm
handles the transparency effect for pixmaps, but not for icon
windows.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:25:54 +0200 (CEST)

> handles the transparency effect for pixmaps, but not for icon

So this means that those specifying a icon window will not get a relief
and those specifying a pixmap does get an icon relief (using my
modification)?

//Marcus

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:01:21 +0200

> and those specifying a pixmap does get an icon relief (using my

Yup.  I've tried to implement that feature a while ago, but got
confused with all the icon hints stuff we have now and gave up
for the moment.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:11:40 +0200

> confused with all the icon hints stuff we have now and gave up

I think implemented this is not so difficult, in fact the icon
hints are not really important here, the icons is build from
the icon info contained in the FvwmWindow struct and these
info which depends on hints should be (is?) initialized before
we build the displayed icon.
When I implemented alpha blending for png/ewmh icons I've
implemented the feature (in an hard codeded way) and remove
it because it seems to me that this feature need a bunch
of new styles and I was a bit lazy to ask how this new feature
should work at the user level.

So we should add new style(s). I suggest to force the use of
colorset, so we need at least IconBackgroundColorset. Now maybe
we need also an IconHilightColorset ?
After that we should decide if the user can decide how the
icon is displayed into the background and if we allows icon
resizing. It seems that this feature come with an other one:
put the icon into a _fixed_ size background. This leads to
others styles: "IconBackgroundSize width height" and
"IconMaxSize width height [wanted_width wanted_height]"
(if icon_width > width || icon_height > height, resize the
icon to width x height [wanted_width x wanted_height]).
Then, we should add a MiniIconMaxSize style and menu style
(because I need it :o).
I _personally_ do not care so much about all these new
icon styles (as I do not use icons) but I will be happy to
implement these styles because it seems to me that having
these fixed size icons (with some bg) lead to better
usability.

Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:49:29 +0200

> we build the displayed icon.

Yes, the feature is not so difficult to implement, but I wanted to
clean up the unholy mess in the icon hints code.  It took me two
days before I gave up, unable to single out the icon hints from
the ewmh/gnome code :-/  Certainly, you remember my frustrated
mail back then ("hint code clean up" or something like this).
It's still one of my top priorities - not because the code were
badly written (it isn't), but because it has become so complex and
relies on so many implicit dependencies that it has well become
unmaintainable.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^