Subject: FVWM: 2.5.1 under GNOME: Can't bind mouse buttons 1 and 3 on root window

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:55:12 -0400

I'm using FVWM 2.5.1 under GNOME on Red Hat 7.2, and I have the
following two mouse binding commands in my .fvwm2rc file:

	Mouse 1	R N Popup RootMenu Nop
	Mouse 3	R N WindowList OnlyIcons, UseIconName

But mouse button 1 on the root window is handled by Gnome (for selecting
desktop icons), and mouse button 3 on the root window pops up the Gnome
desktop menu.  The FVWM commands shown above do not execute.  This
happens regardless of which modifiers I specify -- GNOME gets all mouse
1 and mouse 3 events.  I can bind mouse button 2 to an FVWM command
without a problem.

If I run FVWM without GNOME, I have no problem with those two bindings.

Is there way to get FVWM to handle those two mouse events?  I read the
man page, but found only the "GnomeButton" command which does the
opposite of what I want (it tells FVWM to let GNOME handle a mouse
event).
--
Francis Litterio
[email-masked]
http://world.std.com/~franl/
PGP public keys available on keyservers.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:56:01 +0000

> opposite of what I want (it tells FVWM to let GNOME handle a mouse

Which program handles your windows-like shortcut desktop icons?
I can't reproduce this with gmc-4.5.54 when no GnomeButton is specified,
i.e. FVWM gets every root mouse event.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:26:05 -0400

> Which program handles your windows-like shortcut desktop icons?

I believe it is Nautilus under Red Hat 7.2 running GNOME.  Since I
posted my original problem report, I have discovered that if I launch
Nautilus, open its Preferences dialog, go to the "Windows & Desktop"
tab, and uncheck "Use Nautilus to draw the desktop", this problem goes
away.

I'm not sure this is an FVWM problem.  Nautilus appears to have been
"stealing" root mouse events.

> i.e. FVWM gets every root mouse event.

I do not have gmc running.
--
Francis Litterio
[email-masked]
http://world.std.com/~franl/
PGP public keys available on keyservers.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:07:27 +0200

> "stealing" root mouse events.

Hello,

There is no bugs in fvwm here (I think). If you check "Use Nautilus to
draw the desktop" Nautilus put a window onto the root window so there
is no more root window that you can click on, there is the desktop
window. With 2.5 you can try:

Mouse 1	D N Popup RootMenu Nop
Mouse 3	D N WindowList OnlyIcons, UseIconName

D is a new binding context for "desktop" (this may not work with
the Nautilus shipped with RedHet 7.2, but this work with a GNOME2
Nautilus which respect a certain protocole). However, if you (or
someone else) want that Nautilus manages the "desktop" I think you
want that Nautilus manages mouse buttons on the desktop window. So,
it is prefereable to use:

Mouse 1	D M Popup RootMenu Nop
Mouse 3	D M WindowList OnlyIcons, UseIconName

i.e., get your fvwm menus by adding a modifier (seems that
Alt+Mouse is not used by Nautilus neither by kdesktop (KDE
version >= 2)). Of course, the solution you use (removing
the desktop window) seems good too for me. I do not
understand the interset of these desktop window and desktop
icons :o) 

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Rahul Rekapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:31:29 +0530

Hi,
I use ROX-Filer to get desktop icons in Fvwm. But the trouble is that the windows appear below the layer on which the icons are so the icons are on the top. How can I make ROX-Filer always start on the lowest layer? The application name is rox. But in the process list, it shows up as ROX-Filer. which do I use to set the Style?

thanks
Rahul
-- 
---------------------------------------------------
		the bug stops here
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:47:01 +0200

> I use ROX-Filer to get desktop icons in Fvwm. But the trouble is that the windows appear below the layer on which the icons are so the icons are on the top. How can I make ROX-Filer always start on…

Put

  Style rox StaysOnBottom

in your .fvwm2rc file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].