Subject: FVWM: X connection(s) not getting closed?

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:16:06 -0600

Running 2.4.5 on Solaris.

Occasionally I do some iterative trial-and-error things in my
StartFunction and/or InitFunction.  For the StartFunction, I
restart, and for the InitFunction, I launch (from an xterm) with the
-replace option.  If I do either of those things enough times (on
the order of a few dozen), eventually I get the error:

Xlib: connection to "<display>" refused by server
Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
Error: Can't open display: <display>

and I have to log off and back on (to reset the X server).  Does
anyone know of a way to tell when the X server is approaching its
limit (or, for that matter, what the limit is)?  Is there a
workaround?

Gregg Dameron

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:02:51 -0400

> limit (or, for that matter, what the limit is)?  Is there a

I got this from:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=39db35c3%40pfaff.ethz.ch&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmaximum%2Bnumber%2Bof%2Bclients%2Bgroup:comp.unix.solaris%26hl%3Den%26selm%3D39db35c3%2540pfaff.ethz.ch%26rnum%3D1

From: Alan Coopersmith ([email-masked])
Subject: Re: Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Date: 2000-10-04 09:45:48 PST

Stef <[email-masked]> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|After I have about 90 xterms open on my Sparc with Solaris 8, I can't
|open aymore X clients. I get:
|
|Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
|Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
|
|How can I increase the number of maximal possible clients?

Install the latest Xsun patches and add "-clients 1024" to the Xsun
command line (if using the standard login screen, copy
/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers, then edit the last
line in /etc/dt/config/Xservers).

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].