Subject: Re: FVWM: WindowMaker dockapps under FVWM ?

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:57:59 +0000

On 30 Apr 2002 19:22:01 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>   I'm now using CRUX linux ( http://crux.nu ).  It's lightweight, all
> optimized/compiled as "-march=i686".  While it cuts out unecessary junk
> (the distro is under 200 Megs) it's quite modern, using Resierfs and
> devfs by default.  FVWM fits right in with the lightweight approach, and
> on my 2 machines (433 and 450 mhz, both with 128 megs of RAM) it's a
> nice combo.  The distro's author has also written a "WindowMaker dockapp"
> to handle sound settings.  I'm having a few problems with it.  Here's a
> question I posted on the CRUX list, and the author's response.  Does
> anybody know the answer to his question ?
> 
> > >   Maybe I should re-phrase my question.  I am *NOT* talking about
> > > the size of the sliders.  I'm talking about the size of the window
> > > that it starts up in.  I'm runninf FVWM as my Window Manager.
> > > Mixer.app starts up in the absolute smallest possible size *WINDOW*
> > > imaginable.  I think it's 10x10 pixels.  And that's only because of
> > > the decorations on its window.  The window needs to be approx 64x64
> > > pixels to show the sliders.  Also, the Mixer.app window doesn't
> > > respond to the "Close" button.  I have to open the window menu and
> > > select "Destroy".
> > 
> > I haven't used FVWM since -95 or something so I'm not very up
> > to date with it, but are you sure FVWM can handle WindowMaker
> > dockapps? Do other WindowMaker dockapps work? In that case
> > which ones?

WindowMaker dockapps are programs drawing into their 64x64 window.
Any properly written X program should work nicely in FVWM. The problem is
that some dockapps are not written properly as regular X applications.
But most of docapps in http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/ should work ok:

  http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/screenshots/standard.png

>   As mentioned above, this app won't accept a "-geometry" parameter on
> the commandline or respond to a "Close" button.  I've tried...

The best solution is to fix this program. Some time ago Dominik patched
wmfishtank to be more standard (support window manager delete protocol,
set hints correctly and draw to both normal window and icon window
depending on state, not only to one window depending on switch), but it
seems that the author did not release the corrected version...

> DestroyFunc Mixer
> AddToFunc   Mixer
> + I Exec /usr/GNUstep/Apps/Mixer.app/Mixer -1 VOLUME -2 PCM -3 CD
> + Wait Mixer.app
> + I All (Mixer.app) Raise
> + I All (Mixer.app) Resize 70 60
> 
>   (The window title is "Mixer.app") In my menu, I invoke it like so...
> + "Mixer"                  Function Mixer

Just to be sure. Do you have "I" before "Wait"? It can't work without it.
Also please take a look at the standard error stream, it may contain
messages about this app.

>   but it still starts with a miniscule window, and I have to manually
> resize it.  Would I be better off swallowing it into FvwmButtons ?

If you specify a geometry of the FvwmButtons button, then yes, this app is
resized automatically.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 21:48:55 -0400

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 08:57:59PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote

> Just to be sure. Do you have "I" before "Wait"? It can't work
> without it.  Also please take a look at the standard error stream,
> it may contain messages about this app.

  Ouch.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Here's what I have now...

DestroyFunc Mixer
AddToFunc   Mixer
+ I Exec /usr/GNUstep/Apps/Mixer.app/Mixer -1 VOLUME -2 PCM -3 CD
+ I Wait Mixer.app
+ I All (Mixer.app) Raise
+ I All (Mixer.app) Resize 6 7
+ I All (Mixer.app) Mouse 0 3 A Destroy

  It works as far as sizing is concerned.  BTW, what's the command (if
any) to rename a window ?  I may want to call up separate invocations
for the CD and the sound card.  The "Resize 6 7" is because the window
seems to treat the parameters as characters rather than pixels.  The
only remaining thing I need is to set up an extra button *ONLY* on the
mixer title bar.  My current setup adds a button 3 to all windows.  I
tried to figure out how to set up a style that applies to only a
specific window, but I can't get it to work.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
I'm not repeating myself; I'm an X Window user, I'm an ex-Windows user
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:07:11 +0200 (CEST)

> specific window, but I can't get it to work.

I think this will do it (after you define what button 3 does):

Style * NoButton 3		# turn off button 3 for all windows
Style Mixer.app Button 3	# turn ON button 3 for Mixer.app

//Marcus

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:10:00 +0200 (CEST)

> specific window, but I can't get it to work.

I think this will do it (after defineing what button 3 does):

Style * NoButton 3		# turn off button 3 for all windows
Style Mixer.app Button 3	# turn ON button 3 just for Mixer.app

//Marcus

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 01:44:36 -0400

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:10:00AM +0200, Marcus Lundblad wrote

> Style Mixer.app Button 3	# turn ON button 3 just for Mixer.app

  Thanks.  Everything's working now.  Here are the relavant lines...

Mouse 0 1       A       Menu Window-Ops2 Close
Mouse 0 2       A       Maximize-Func
Mouse 0 3       A       Destroy
Mouse 0 4       A       Iconify

DestroyFunc Mixer
AddToFunc   Mixer

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 20:22:45 +0000

> + I All (Mixer.app) Resize 6 7

Numbers on the last line are percents of the screen, I would rather use:

  Resize 64p 64p

Regards,
Mikhael.