Subject: FVWM: Swallow and key problem

From: "David A. Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:41:53 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I am running fvwm 2.4.6 on Linux Debian (testing/Woody).  I have a few
keys defined to be available in any context:

Key F1 A M Popup PersonalMenu
Key F5 A SC GoToPage 0 0
Key F6 A SC GoToPage 1 0
Key F7 A SC GoToPage 2 0

Key F9 A SC Exec Eterm -g 90x50 -f white -P ~/pixmap/bhbkg.jpg@:tiled

I also have a Buttonbar defined.  So far it only has a clock and the pager in
it.  If it has xclock in it, the above keys work fine.

*FvwmButtons: (Swallow XClock `Exec exec xclock -update 1 -padding 1`)

If it has either dclock or asclock in it, the above global keys have no effect
- until another application has been opened.  After another application is
open the keys again work fine.  Even after the other application is closed.
The keys still work fine.

*FvwmButtons: (2x1, Swallow DClock `Exec exec dclock  -slope 90 -bg black -led_off black`)
or
*FvwmButtons: (Swallow asclock `Exec exec asclock -12 -shape -geometry +3+3`)

The only thing I can think of is that maybe dclock and asclock accept input
and xclock doesn't.  But I don't see what to do about it.  By the way, this
didn't happen with an earlier version of fvwm that I'm running at home (2.4.3
I think).

I can post my entire rc file if that would be helpful, but, as you may know,
Debian has a standard setup for fvwm that provides hooks for users to fill in.
So if you want to see the whole setup, you'll get a lot of stuff.  I've gotta
figure it's in this area though since the problem goes away if I use xclock
instead of dclock.

Any suggestions?

dar

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 22:28:52 +0000

> figure it's in this area though since the problem goes away if I use xclock

You may try "Style FvwmButtons NeverFocus", "Style asclock NeverFocus",
but I can't reproduce any problem myself with 2.4.x.

You may also try 2.5.1 and create minimal-rc showing the problem, put it
~/.in fvwm and run "fvwm -f minimal-rc".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "David A. Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:56:39 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

> On 01 May 2002 15:41:53 -0500, David A. Rogers wrote:
[snip - description of weird keys problem]
> ~/.in fvwm and run "fvwm -f minimal-rc".

OK, here's a minimal .fvwm2rc that shows the problem.  Start fvwm 2.4.6 (at
least that's what I have) with the following .fvwm2rc.  Notice that pressing
Control-Shift-F9 does _not_ result in a beep.  Now open up any other x app.
Now CSF9 does result in a beep.

You should be able to reproduce this as long as you've got xcalc.  If you
don't, try substituting any other common X app that accepts input.

Commenting any of CirculateSkip or ClickToFocus or the xcalc swallow will
result in the key working properly.  Seems to be an odd interaction amongst
them all.

I have no idea what CirculateSkip does.  Its behavior is not documented in the
fvwm man.  The Debian maintainer has it in the standard Debian setup - which
is how I ended up with it.

dar

#===============================================================================

Style "Fvwm*" CirculateSkip

Module FvwmPager
Module FvwmButtons

Style * ClickToFocus

Key F9 A SC Beep

DeskTopSize 3x1
*FvwmButtons: ButtonGeometry 32x32+0-0

*FvwmButtons: (2x1, Swallow XCalc `Exec exec xcalc`)
*FvwmButtons: (3x1, Swallow(UseOld,NoKill) "FvwmPager" )

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 01:41:07 +0200

> Now CSF9 does result in a beep.

This bug will be fixed with the 2.4.8 and 2.5.3 releases.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].