Subject: FVWM: tearoff menus and scroll-bars

From: "Riswick, J.G.A. van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 15:35:03 +0200

HI

I just tried the last snapshot of fvwm and I think it's great!
Particularly, I like the tearoff menus. I like to use
this for easlily trying different color schemes. In my setup
I have a menu which is built from a directory containing a number
of color scheme files. Clicking on the menu then instantly applies
color scheme to fvwm and all gtk applications. Without tearoff
menus, one needs to walk through a tree of menus for each 
scheme to try. But with a tearoff menu, one can just click a number
of them, a bit like when using a dialog box. 

A problem with this
however, arises when the number of entries in the menu gets large.
One then gets a 'more' entry on the bottom of the menu. I wondered
if it is possible to use scrollbars in this case, instead of the 'more'
menu at the bottom, so that one can scroll through all menu items.
 I tried FvwmScroll, but that doesn't work: the menu entries dissapear
as soon as I applied FvwmScroll to the torn of menu window. Is there
a way to apply scroll-bars to a torn of menu that has too many items
to display at once? 

best regards 

jos
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:37:04 +0200

> menu at the bottom, so that one can scroll through all menu items.

All you can do right now is to tear out the first half of the
menu, then enter the "More..." sub menu and tear it out too.  One
day I will implement better ways of displaying long menus.  When
that happens, tear off menus will benefit from the new feature(s)
along with normal menus.

> a way to apply scroll-bars to a torn of menu that has too many items

Not at the moment.  When the tear off menu is unmapped, fvwm
destroys it immediately.  Tear off menus can not be swallowed in
FvwmButtons either.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].