Subject: FVWM: Bug?

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:07:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I mannaged to get fvwm to hang the X display today and thought maybe
someone out there might have an idea why.

Using fvwm2 version 2.4.7 I started gcalc.  There is a gutton next to the
"File, Edit, Help" Menu bar.  After left clicking on it, one can drag it
off into it's own window.

I noticed that it was slow in redrawing the area behind it after movement
and yanked it around kind of fast.  Needless to say, everything died.

Fvwm emitted this error:

[FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor from 'FvwmEvent':
- data available=N
- terminate signal=N

Does anyone have an idea what caused this, or can any one out there
reporduce it?

Thanks,

Tom

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:19:27 -0600

> Does anyone have an idea what caused this, or can any one out there

This might have been fixed, at least it doesnt happen with the cvs
version see:
http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0205/msg00108.html

sa

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:00:26 +0200

> http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0205/msg00108.html

That explains only the sluggish movement.  And then, the problem
was only in 2.5.1, not in 2.4.7.  I'll check that.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 19:43:59 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:07:39PM -0400, Thomas Gardiner wrote:
> and yanked it around kind of fast.

Are you *sure* you saw this with 2.4.7 and not 2.5.x?  I can't
reproduce it with 2.4.7, and in the latest 2.5.x code, the slow
movement with gtk widgets is already gone.

> Needless to say, everything died.
> 
> Fvwm emitted this error:
> 

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Thomas Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:37:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> movement with gtk widgets is already gone.

Yes, I'm sure it is 2.4.7.  I downloaded and built it myself.  It is a
local (to my home directory) installation, but I'm sure that the correct
executeable is being called as well.  If it's of any help, I can find out
the particulars of the version of gcalc and Linux distro. (Mandrake ...).

Sorry, I can't be of more help immediately, it is on my work machine.

Is it possible that the Fvwm error was caused in part by me?  I remember
gcalc hanging and not being redrawn.  I then chose to kill it by switching
to a virtual terminal.  As I recall, before killing it, gcalc had a good
chunck of the cpu (X had the rest).  After killing it fvwm started
gobbling up the cpu.  I didn't check for the fvwm error until after I
noticed fvwm taking up a bunch of the cpu cycles.  Did I hit a sensitive
spot in the code?

Tom

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 12:12:59 +0200

> > movement with gtk widgets is already gone.

(... and the bug was introduced in 2.5.x)
 
> the particulars of the version of gcalc and Linux distro. (Mandrake ...).

The gtk version is what matters.

> Is it possible that the Fvwm error was caused in part by me?

The error message comes from the module interface.  When the
machine is too busy and module messages are not processed for too
long, the module is killed.  It usually happens with FvwmEvent
because it's the most active module.

> I remember
> noticed fvwm taking up a bunch of the cpu cycles.

When that happens again, could you try to attach a debugger and
see where fvwm is looping?  To do this, exit to the console, find
out fvwm's process id with

  $ ps -ax | grep fvwm2

and attach gdb to the running fvwm:

  $ gdb fvwm2 <process-id>

Then fetch a stack trace from gdb

  (gdb) where

and post it.  You might find out more by single stepping through
the code with the "step" command on the gdb prompt.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].