Subject: FVWM: 2.5.1 man page bug: missing text in rendered man page (patch included)

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 11:07:21 -0400

The 2.5.1 fvwm.1 man page source file contains this text:

  Lines beginning with '#' are ignored by fvwm.  Lines starting with
  '*' are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
  than configuration commands for fvwm itself). Like in shell
  scripts embedded newlines in a configuration file line can be
  quoted by preceding them with a backslash.  All lines linked in
  this fashion are treated as a single line.  The newline itself is
  ignored.

But GNU nroff and groff both seem to ignore lines starting with the
single quote character, so in the rendered man page the above text
appears like this (notice the 2nd line above is missing from the below
text):

       Lines beginning with  '#'  are  ignored  by  fvwm.   Lines
       starting   with   than  configuration  commands  for  fvwm
       itself). Like in shell scripts embedded newlines in a con-
       figuration  file line can be quoted by preceding them with
       a backslash.  All lines linked in this fashion are treated
       as a single line.  The newline itself is ignored.

I'm seeing this using Cygwin's man command, but I suspect this happens
on any system that uses GNU nroff (e.g., Linux).

The below patch fixes the problem on my Cygwin system, but I don't know
nroff well enough to say if this is the best way to fix it.
--
Francis Litterio
[email-masked]
http://world.std.com/~franl/
PGP public keys available on keyservers.

--- fvwm.1.orig	Mon May  6 11:10:40 2002
+++ fvwm.1	Mon May  6 11:11:36 2002
@@ -891,7 +891,7 @@
 built-in, it is easy to read in new configuration files as you go.
 
 Lines beginning with '#' are ignored by fvwm.  Lines starting with
-'*' are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
+\'*' are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
 than configuration commands for fvwm itself). Like in shell
 scripts embedded newlines in a configuration file line can be
 quoted by preceding them with a backslash.  All lines linked in
@@ -1753,7 +1753,7 @@
 If the menu-label contains a sub-string which is set off by stars,
 then the text between the stars is expected to be the name of an
 image file to insert in the menu.  To get a literal
-'*', insert "**".  For example
+\'*', insert "**".  For example
 .EX
  + Calculator*xcalc.xpm* Exec exec xcalc
 .EE
@@ -4852,7 +4852,7 @@
 the root window, 'W' for an application window, 'D' for a desktop
 application (as kdesktop or Nautilus desktop), 'T' for a window
 title-bar, 'S' for a window side, top, or bottom bar, '[', ']',
-'-' and '_' for the left, rigth, top or bottom side only, 'F' for
+\'-' and '_' for the left, rigth, top or bottom side only, 'F' for
 a window frame (the corners), '<', '^', '>' and 'v' for the top
 left, top right, bottom right or bottom left corner, 'I' for an
 Icon window, or '0' through '9' for title-bar buttons, or any
@@ -5576,7 +5576,7 @@
 .I scr-spec
 argument specifies the Xinerama screen on which the IconBox is
 defined.  It can be the usual screen Xinerama specification, 'p',
-'c', 'g', a screen number or the additional 'w' for the screen
+\'c', 'g', a screen number or the additional 'w' for the screen
 where the window center is located.  This is only useful with
 multiple Xinerama screens.
 The "l t r b" specification is more flexible than an X11 geometry.
@@ -6123,7 +6123,7 @@
 understand this usage, the starting desk/page can also be
 specified via a resource (e.g., "-xrm '*fvwmscreen: c'").
 ('fvwmscreen' was chosen because some applications already use
-'.screen' for other purposes.)
+\'.screen' for other purposes.)
 
 .I StartsOnPageIncludesTransients
 causes the
@@ -6229,7 +6229,7 @@
 (the default) causes transient windows not to be given the
 standard decorations. You can only bind keys or mouse buttons to
 the sides and the client window of an undecorated window ('S' and
-'W' contexts in bindings, see
+\'W' contexts in bindings, see
 .BR Mouse " and " Key
 commands).
 
@@ -7723,7 +7723,7 @@
 use the curent screen (containing the pointer) whenever the
 primary screen is used.  This may be very confusing under some
 circumstances.  With
-'g', the global screen is used as the primary screen, effectively
+\'g', the global screen is used as the primary screen, effectively
 disabling the primary screen.  Calling this function with any
 other argument (including none) resets the primary screen to 0.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].