Subject: Re: FVWM: WindowList feature, SortLastWord

From: elliot sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:25:45 -0700 (PDT)

I sort my windowlist by class before sorting by name.
I also print that class.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:58:55 +0000

> I sort my windowlist by class before sorting by name.

Elliot, you always mention that you run a patched windowlist.
If that or another feature is so useful to you, why not to think about
its generalization and adding it as an option? Then submit a patch
against the cvs sources, including ChangeLog, fvwm.1 and NEWS changes.
And keep convincing developers that your patch should be applied. :)

Actually sorting by a class or a resource sounds more appealing to me
than sorting by the last word in the name. This is more correct.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:28:44 -0500

I wouldn't want to see the class name, but sorting by class does sound
better except it wouldn't distinguish between a terminal and the
terminal running vim which you could by my method.

Please do include a patch.

-- 
		+---------------------------------+
		|      David Fries                |
		|      [email-masked]        |
		| http://fries.net/~david/pgp.txt |
		+---------------------------------+

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:58:14 +0000

> terminal running vim which you could by my method.

I don't think there is a case that is handled better by the last word.

vim does not change a terminal name, and it is correct, because a terminal
that runs a shell is not limited to vim, a user may always Ctrl-Z from it.
And terminals running vim rather than shell are already sorted together.
A new class may be created if needed, "xterm -name VIM -e vim file_name".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:40:33 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 05:58:14PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> vim does not change a terminal name,

Some versions of vim changed the terminal name to "Thanks for
flying vim".  Quite annoying.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:09:42 -0500

Which version are you running?  What terminal?  I was trying to figure
out where they dropped that behavior, which is what the documentation
says should happen, but it isn't the case anymore.  If vim uses X it
can read the current title and reset it when you exit, if it uses
termcap it leaves the message you find annoying which you could set in
the config file if you wanted to.  You could even tell it not to
change the title.

I'm asking because when I ssh or telnet vim currently can't set the
title and I want it to.  My shell updates the title with the current
directory so I wouldn't have that problem.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:57:32 +0200

> directory so I wouldn't have that problem.

Sorry, I can't remember, it's been years ago.  All I know is that
it came with some SuSE distribution and was version 4.6 or
earlier.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^