Subject: FVWM: First restart exits or stalls on dual-headed display

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:57:00 -0600

Running 2.4.7 on Solaris 8, non-Xinerama dual-head display.  Not
session-managed.

The first restart, on either screen's instance, doesn't finish.
Both PIDs are still there, but on that screen all decorations and
modules vanish; root window menus no longer pop up.  If I then
restart on the other screen (still functional at this point), the
first screen "wakes up" and finishes its restart.  PIDs don't
change.  From this point on, either screen's instance may be
restarted without problem.

Thinking my configuration might be at fault, I killed both instances
and manually ran fvwm2 without one (default configuration) and with
no arguments.  Fvwm2 started on both screens as expected.  The first
Restart on either screen caused that fvwm2 instance to exit with
"<<ERROR>> another ICCCM 2.0 compliant WM is running" [Really? Is it
the other instance?] ", try -replace".  Killed the other instance
and ran fvwm2 without a configuration and with -replace.  Fvwm2
started on both screens as expected.  But as before, the first
Restart on either screen stalled, and "woke up" when the other
screen's instance was restarted.  No problems with restarts
thereafter on either screen.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Gregg Dameron

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:22:30 +0000

> thereafter on either screen.

Two questions to you.

1) How do you start fvwm2 in your .xinitrc or whatever you have?

Hint. There are 2 ways,

  a) starting one instance without -s, it will fork for every screen
  b) starting two instances using -s -d

2) How do you restart?

Hint, you should issue Restart without any parameters.

Are you sure you started with no config, and the default Restart menu
entry caused "another ICCCM 2.0 compliant WM is running"? My understanding
(I don't really have dual-head, so can't test) is that this message may
only happen if you incorrectly restart using "Restart fvwm2". It can't
happen if you do "Restart".

It's possible there are problems with dual-head, feel free to post fixes.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:25:25 -0600

>   b) starting two instances using -s -d

My setup uses (a), with -replace and -f <config>.  The problem goes away if I
use (b).  Sounds like that's my workaround.

> Hint, you should issue Restart without any parameters.

I restart with --dont-preserve-state, but an unadorned restart gives me the
same problem.

> entry caused "another ICCCM 2.0 compliant WM is running"?

Absolutely.  When I started, I got the "Cannot read startup file, tried:
<list> " error, and the built-in config took over.  I can then cause the
exit-with-ICCCM-error either by (1) using the root menu Restart ("R. Restart
FVWM"), or (2) bringing up FvwmConsole from the root menu ("4. Issue FVWM
commands") and entering "Restart".

> My understanding