Subject: FVWM: Modifier keys for clicking on menus/WindowList.

From: normalperson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 02:54:53 -0700

First off, I had been using the EVWM < http://www.metaphorcity.com/evwm/
>  shell replacement in Windows for the past five or so years, and more
>  recently, the better-known Litestep shell.

During my time with EVWM, I had grown addicted to the mod-click
functionality in its WindowList. I could Shift + Click, Meta + Click,
and Meta + Shift + Click functionality for its WindowList to close,
hide, and  kill windows on my desktop without having to waste time
switching to them.

A couple months ago, my last months in Windows, I hacked the Popup2
module in Litestep to do the same things EVWM could do. ( see:
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~wonge/bin/ ).  I was about to start adding the
option for multiple execution options to the run menu as well (e.g. a
regular click on a menu item could execute an application, shift-click
could pass different parameters to the execution or run an entirely
different app, etc.)

Now I've moved to Linux and I have FVWM running quite well (being a
full-blown WM and not just an execution/task management shell like its
Win32 cousins). I'm still sifting through the documentation, but I
haven't been able to find any way to mod-click on menu items within the
user-defined menus nor the WindowList.  If FVWM truly does not have this
functionality, I guess someone (me?) could/should implement it.

Also on the subject of the WindowList, is there a way one could
customize it to show the CurrentDesk/Page items in its root, and then
items from other Desks/Pages within submenus on the WindowList?

-- 
Eric Wong | normalperson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:51:13 +0000

> functionality, I guess someone (me?) could/should implement it.

You may bind only one action to a menu item right now, regardless of
whether it was invoked by a mouse button 1 or 4, or by Enter key, with
Ctrl pressed or not, or by releasing Alt in WindowList.

There is a discussion on the fvwm-workers list about a future of menus.
It is most certainly that it will be possible to bind different actions
in items for different mouse buttons. The full configurable Key/Mouse
functionality in menus is not considered at the moment, but a new syntax
will be extendible enough to allow this in the more far future if needed.

> items from other Desks/Pages within submenus on the WindowList?

A window may occupy several pages inside a desk, or even be outside of
the pages defined by DeskTopSize, so you may only ask for windows on
particular desks, not pages.

WindowList command does not currently have an option to create submenus.
It is also impossible to include the WindowList menu as a popup submenu.

The best that I may suggest now is this:

  Mouse 2  R  A  Menu MyWindowListMainMenu

  DestroyMenu MyWindowListMainMenu
  AddToMenu   MyWindowListMainMenu
  #+ "Window List For" Title
  + "Current Desk" WindowList CurrentDesk
  + "" Nop
  + "Desk 0" WindowList Desk 0
  + "Desk 1" WindowList Desk 1
  + "Desk 2" WindowList Desk 2
  + "Desk 3" WindowList Desk 3

But if you know to program you may create a simple FVWM module that does
whatever you want that WindowList does not currently do. It is possible
to do this in perl in 2.5.x versions. See some examples at:

  ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/sources/tests/perl/

Maybe if I have some time, I will add a simple module similar to the
existing module-winlist that uses AddToMenu and does what you describe.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:16:37 +0200

> existing module-winlist that uses AddToMenu and does what you describe.

But the FvwmIconMan module can already do most of this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:05:32 +0000

> But the FvwmIconMan module can already do most of this.

FvwmIconMan does not do submenus as requested.

What I tried to say is that one way of customizing something is to write a
user module that in some cases is the only solution and in some cases is
even easier than writting a shell script doing the same to be PipeRead.

Regards,
Mikhael.