Subject: FVWM: Remember icon placement?

From: Steve Talley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:39:45 -0600

Hello,

I've just started using fvwm, and it is easily the best window manager
I've ever used.  Great job!!  I do have a question:

How can I get fvwm to consistently remember the last position of an
icon?

To start, I have this in my .fvwmrc:

    Style * IconBox 0 0 -0 -0, IconFill top left, IconGrid 80 80
    Style * IconPosition

Here's an example:

Suppose I have three non-overlapping icons in the first three
positions in my icon box.  If I start an xterm, and then iconify it,
it will be placed in the fourth position (so far so good).  Now
suppose I close the application whose icon was occupying the 2nd
position in the icon box.  Now, if I deiconify and reiconify the
xterm, its icon will be moved to take the place of the closed app in
the 2nd position.  How can I force it to go back to the 4th position
where it was initially?

I've found that fvwm will remember an icon's position only if I
manually drag it to a specific position.  Then every time it is
iconified it will return to the same position.  Otherwise, it seems
that fvwm has no memory of where the icon was placed before.

The reason I ask is because I identify a specific xterm by its icon
position.  When that position isn't constant, I don't know which xterm
to go back to later.  The last window manager I used (CDE) remembered
an icon's last position, and always replaced it in the same position
unless a new icon had taken its place.  How can I tell fvwm to do this
as well?

Thanks,

Steve
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:36:22 +0200

> unless a new icon had taken its place.  How can I tell fvwm to do this

That couldn't be done easily until I committed my latest patch.
With tomorrows snapshot you can use

  Move $[i.x]p $[i.y]p

on an icon.  Fvwm will remember that the icon was moved manually
and always place it at its current position.  This should be done
automatically when the window is iconified, e.g. with

  AddToFunc my_iconify
  + I iconify on
  + I move $[i.x]p $[i.y]p

Then use the my_iconify function instead of the Iconify command to
iconify your windows.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Talley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:34:04 -0600

Thank you Dominik.  This will be a huge help!

Will this patch be in 2.4.8, or only in the 2.5.x tree?

Thanks again!

Steve

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:56:33 +0000

> Will this patch be in 2.4.8, or only in the 2.5.x tree?

In both.

Regards,
Mikhael.