Subject: FVWM: DISPLAY changes on restart

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:41:41 -0600

Running 2.4.5 on Solaris.

I use $DISPLAY as part of a personalized FIFO name (for FvwmCommandS).
After a restart, scripts that invoke "FvwmCommand -f <FIFO>" tend to stop
working.  Turns out, $DISPLAY often (but not always) changes from ":0.<n>"
on startup to "unix:0.<n>" on a restart.  Any ideas why this might be
happening?

$HOSTDISPLAY appears reliable, but the man page prefers $DISPLAY (as do I)
for better performance on local connections.  (Besides, some scripts that
invoke FvwmCommand -f <FIFO> don't have $HOSTDISPLAY.)

Gregg Dameron

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:02:07 -0400

> on startup to "unix:0.<n>" on a restart.  Any ideas why this might be

fvwm.c:

  sprintf(display_string,"DISPLAY=%s",XDisplayString(dpy));
  putenv(display_string);

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].