Subject: FVWM: X11 crashes with fvwm 2.4.6

From: Markus Grunwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:08:40 +0200

Hi !

Because I need its xinerama options, I installed fvwm 2.4.6. Allmost
everything works excelent (as usual with fvwm :)), but I have one
problem: Sometimes (lets say every four to ten times) I close an
application, X11 crashes :(

I don't know which facts you could use to help, so I give you these:
System is a Debian woody (quite recent)
fvwm is FVWM version 2.4.6 from Debian package fvwm_2.4.6-2_i386.deb
X11 is XFree86 4.1.0-14

Machine is an Athlon 1.4GHz

uname is
uname -a Linux Eddie 2.4.17 #3 Mit Apr 3 22:07:30 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

I would be very glad, if someone could help me. I am rather confused,
because I know fvwm as rock-solid...-- 
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577      
http://counter.li.org                http://www.grunwald.2xs.de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:17:51 -0400

Markus Grunwald <[email-masked]> writes:
> because I know fvwm as rock-solid...

If the XServer crahsed, fvwm retains its rock solid reputation.

Without a stack trace, I don't know if anyone will be able to help,
but I think you want to check in with the XFree86 folks.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Markus Grunwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:53:38 +0200

Hello, 

> If the XServer crahsed, fvwm retains its rock solid reputation.

I dont't want to exist, but this behaviour appeared just after I
installed the new fvwm. I didn't change anything else...

AFTER the crashing started, I installed new drivers for my Matrox G550
but things din't get better. 
> but I think you want to check in with the XFree86 folks.

How can I get a stack trace ?
-- 
Markus Grunwald

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:27:03 -0400

> How can I get a stack trace ?

Gee, I was hoping someone else would answer this one.
The normal way to get stack traces is to find the core file
and do:

gdb `whence X` core

and then type in where.

I don't know if that will work on Linux.  I know I've had the
hardest time getting core files on Solaris.