Subject: FVWM: WindowMaker dockapps under FVWM ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:22:01 -0400

I'm now using CRUX linux ( http://crux.nu ).  It's lightweight, all
optimized/compiled as "-march=i686".  While it cuts out unecessary junk
(the distro is under 200 Megs) it's quite modern, using Resierfs and
devfs by default.  FVWM fits right in with the lightweight approach, and
on my 2 machines (433 and 450 mhz, both with 128 megs of RAM) it's a
nice combo.  The distro's author has also written a "WindowMaker dockapp"
to handle sound settings.  I'm having a few problems with it.  Here's a
question I posted on the CRUX list, and the author's response.  Does
anybody know the answer to his question ?

> >   Maybe I should re-phrase my question.  I am *NOT* talking about
> > the size of the sliders.  I'm talking about the size of the window
> > that it starts up in.  I'm runninf FVWM as my Window Manager.
> > Mixer.app starts up in the absolute smallest possible size *WINDOW*
> > imaginable.  I think it's 10x10 pixels.  And that's only because of
> > the decorations on its window.  The window needs to be approx 64x64
> > pixels to show the sliders.  Also, the Mixer.app window doesn't
> > respond to the "Close" button.  I have to open the window menu and
> > select "Destroy".
> 
> I haven't used FVWM since -95 or something so I'm not very up
> to date with it, but are you sure FVWM can handle WindowMaker
> dockapps? Do other WindowMaker dockapps work? In that case
> which ones?

  As mentioned above, this app won't accept a "-geometry" parameter on
the commandline or respond to a "Close" button.  I've tried...

DestroyFunc Mixer
AddToFunc   Mixer
+ I Exec /usr/GNUstep/Apps/Mixer.app/Mixer -1 VOLUME -2 PCM -3 CD
+ Wait Mixer.app
+ I All (Mixer.app) Raise
+ I All (Mixer.app) Resize 70 60

  (The window title is "Mixer.app") In my menu, I invoke it like so...
+ "Mixer"                  Function Mixer

  but it still starts with a miniscule window, and I have to manually
resize it.  Would I be better off swallowing it into FvwmButtons ?

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
I'm not repeating myself; I'm an X Window user, I'm an ex-Windows user
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].