Subject: RE: FVWM: DISPLAY changes on restart

From: "Dameron, Gregg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:45:57 -0600

> I use $DISPLAY as part of a personalized FIFO name (for FvwmCommandS).
> After a restart, scripts that invoke "FvwmCommand -f <FIFO>" tend to stop
> working.  Turns out, $DISPLAY often (but not always) changes from ":0.<n>"
> on startup to "unix:0.<n>" on a restart.  Any ideas why this might be
> happening?

fvwm.c:

  sprintf(display_string,"DISPLAY=%s",XDisplayString(dpy));
  putenv(display_string);

So are you saying this is an Xlib bug?

Perhaps a better question is this:  Is it reasonable for a window manager to
set DISPLAY if it subverts the value it inherits from the session manager?
Certainly if an overriding command line option is given, like -d in the case
of fvwm2, then yes.  But otherwise?  Moreover, doesn't it seem strange that
a restart would give a different answer?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:33:28 +0000

> set DISPLAY if it subverts the value it inherits from the session manager?

Probably yes. There are several cases, $DISPLAY is initially set or not,
-d is given or not. I think it is ok to set $DISPLAY to what X says after
all given input (if any) is processed.

> a restart would give a different answer?

Just for a curious, what is your setup?

Real session manager and multi-screen display?

How do you restart, using which command on which screen?

Regards,
Mikhael.