Subject: FVWM: (Install)README - does it mean what it says.

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:53:41 +1000

No flames please.  Just be patient with a chicken-hearted Newbie.

I downloaded, unpacked and configured fvwm-2.4.6.  Before going ahead
with the install, I read the README file (fortunately).  It said:
-------
Generally, you should run:

  ./configure   # for full list of options, run: ./configure --help
  make
  make install  # as a user with proper file system permissions

It is very important to make the last step (make install) to ensure that
FVWM works properly.
--------
Do I really run "make install" as user, or do I run it as root and set
up the file system permissions afterwards.

And - while having the attention of an fvwm guru - what other readings are
an absolute "must" before I attempt to configure and use the downloaded
program.

All (hand-holding) help will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen
-- 
Felix Karpfen
[email-masked]
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:35:17 -0500

> up the file system permissions afterwards.

I believe by default it will attempt to install in /usr/local.
If you have to be root to write there, then do the install as root.
You can configure with --prefix=somedirectory and if you can write
in that directory, you don't have to be root.

> an absolute "must" before I attempt to configure and use the downloaded

After configure runs it produces a setting of important options it
detected, you should review them to make sure they are what you want.

You might want to make sure you build in the location of your icons
so you don't need to put ImagePath in your .fvwm2rc.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:53:41 -0500 (EST)

> up the file system permissions afterwards.

If you run make install as root, it'll set the permissions just fine. 
Actually, if you do the configure as a regular user and don't specify a 
prefix that the user can write to, then you likely won't be able to 
install as the user.

> an absolute "must" before I attempt to configure and use the downloaded

The man page, and one of the sample .fvwm2rc's :-)

> All (hand-holding) help will be gratefully received.

Enjoy! There are many sample .fvwm2rc's out there. You just have to find 
them and customize them to your setup. 
			-peace

-- 
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass

---

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:11:08 +1000

> If you have to be root to write there, then do the install as root.

That explains everything - including all my previous (successful)
attempts to compile from source codes.  The installed programs all ended
up in /usr/local.

> in that directory, you don't have to be root.

I am looking at the possibility of using the "stow" <program|routines>
for future compiles from source.  But I do not think that fvwm2 is a
good candidate for experiments of this sort.
> detected, you should review them to make sure they are what you want.

The messages from the "configure" run were - on the whole - very
friendly. 

Specifically the messages advised:

Support GNOME, GTK, GDK Imlib, GNOME support in Fvwm.

I presume that these messages mean what they say.

I have now read the INSTALL.fvwm notes and note that there are
compile-time options, most of which are enabled by default.

So, before I plunge ahead recklessly, I just want to flag that - on my
box - I have opted not to install GNOME.  Until now, I have used KDE and
the attraction of  fvwm2 is its absence of needless bloat.

This would be negated if fvwm2 needs more of GNOME than is currently
installed.  So this email is just a doublecheck that the output of
"configure" can safely be taken at their face value.

And I hope that I will succeed in making sense of the man page if the
rest of the install runs as smoothly as the first stage did..

I propose to start with a supplied script for fvwm2rc and have
downloaded the perl program for tweaking the rc file - after I have
found my feet.

> so you don't need to put ImagePath in your .fvwm2rc.
I will work out what that advice means in due course.  The config.log has
one line to say that it has checked the imagepath.

Meanwhile I would like to send my thanks to all who replied to my first
query so promptly and hope that their patience is not put to the test by
this follow-up message.

Felix Karpfen

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:41:12 +0000

> good candidate for experiments of this sort.

I never used stow, but it should work.

> "configure" can safely be taken at their face value.

You can.

> one line to say that it has checked the imagepath.

Once you forge ahead to icons you will need either to specify fully
qualified file names or use ImagePath or configure --with-imagepath=PATH.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Apr 2002 14:05:44 +0100

> I never used stow, but it should work.

It does, flawlessly.

(You should probably do a

make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/fvwm-2.4.6

or something like that, rather than a straight `make install'...)

-- 
`Unless they've moved it since I last checked, travelling between
 England and America does not involve crossing the equator.'
   --- pir
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].