Subject: FVWM: Using the keyboard instead of the mouse

From: Anthony Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:59:17 +0100

I'm just trying out fvwm after a long time with  other window managers.

I'd like to be able to use the keyboard to do many things via the
keyboard instead of the mouse, but although I know this is possible I
can't find any information about how to do it.

Can someone kindly point me to the relevant document?

Many thanks.

Anthony

-- 
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books on the Assassins and on homeopathy, skeptical 
essays, and over 150 book reviews, go to: http://www.acampbell.org.uk/

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: normalperson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:16:00 -0700

> Can someone kindly point me to the relevant document?

The man page has some good info, I'll touch on the highlights (of course
I'm a Linux/FVWM newbie, so don't expect me to know too much, yet). 
Alt-tab works like in Windows (where I come from)

Add AutomaticHotkeys to your MenuStyle Option to simplify menu
navigation.  I also use vi key bindings for menu navigation (j = down, k
= up, h = left, l = right), and window movement sometimes.

Of course the FVWM lets you set up hotkey to execute just about
anything, here's my audio control section for example:

Key z           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e backward
Key x           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e play
Key c           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e pause
Key v           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e stop
Key b           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e forward
Key r           A       CS      Exec exec xmms-shell -e repeat
Key KP_Right    A       C       Exec exec xmms-shell -e + 1
Key KP_Page_Down A      C       Exec exec xmms-shell -e - 1
Key KP_Left     A       C       Exec exec aumix -v + 1
Key KP_End      A       C       Exec exec aumix -v - 1

Another nice tip my roommate showed me was to hit Ctrl-D to quickly log
out, works with xterm and rxvt as well.

-- 
Eric Wong | normalpersonATrawkDOTcom