Subject: FVWM: Correct location of FvwmConf

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:04:07 +1000

I have downloaded fvwmconf-0.19 to assist me with configuring the
successfully-installed fvwm2-2.4.6.

fvwmconf makes some suggestions about where to put its FvwmConf file and
its fvwm modules - namely /usr/lib/.fvwmconf and /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2.
None of which sound right for my box.  

The Modules installed by fvwm2 are located at
/usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.4.6/, the Executables at /usr/local/bin and
the Data files at /usr/local/share/fvwm.

Since fvwm2-2.4.6 and fvwmconf-0.19 appear to have somewhat different
ideas on appropriate location for their <files|directories>, I would
welcome some additional guidance before I damage something beyond
repair.

Felix Karpfen
-- 
Felix Karpfen
[email-masked]
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 21:26:39 +0000

> successfully-installed fvwm2-2.4.6.

If you read the fvwmconf's documentation you may find that the latest
version it is tested with was fvwm-2.0.45. Don't use it.

What is your goal?

If you want to configure FVWM with a minimal effort, install and use
fvwm-themes package. There is a separate mailing list for its users.

If you want to fully configure FVWM, you should learn its man pages and
try everything you think you may like. Start from any sample configuration
file that works for you and edit it.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Felix Karpfen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 07:38:09 +1000

> version it is tested with was fvwm-2.0.45. Don't use it.

Thank you.

I am glad I took the time to ask instead of experimenting recklessly.  I
hope that this list does not assign scores to senders who post
<needless|foolish> questions.
> fvwm-themes package. There is a separate mailing list for its users.

I needed to be told that too.
Subscribe request now lodged.
> file that works for you and edit it.

That looks like my real objective.

Appearance - at this point - is a non-issue.  The aim is to dispense
with needless bloat when using my favourite programs in an XWindows
environment.

While my installed fvwm2 already does that (more or less), it looks as
though I need to learn a new language in order to understand the "sample
configurations+man page" content and get the full benefit of what fvwm2
has to offer.

Since I am a geriatric and time is no longer a precious commodity, I
have created a new User who starts with the default sample file in
~/.fvwm2rc file and adds bits and pieces from the other samples to see
what they do.  Some experiments work and some do not.  Before I weary
with this list with my failures (assuming that this and not the
fvwm-themes list is the correct one), I will see what I can discover on
my own.

Again, many thanks for the prompt and helpful answers.

Felix