Subject: FVWM: icons question

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:49:12 -0800

Hello again,

I have a question about how icons are handled in fvwm2.  With the icons I have
set, sometimes I misclick on the icon where it's transparent to the
background.  Is it possible to have icons where there's like a solid box
around it so I don't have to click right in the icon, but at least close
enough?  Is there also a way to get titles expanded without having to move the
mouse over the name (like for long title names)

Thanks

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:16:14 +0000

On 29 Mar 2002 16:49:12 -0800, John Smith wrote:
> 
> I have a question about how icons are handled in fvwm2.  With the icons
> I have set, sometimes I misclick on the icon where it's transparent to
> the background.  Is it possible to have icons where there's like a solid
> box around it so I don't have to click right in the icon, but at least
> close enough?

If you either use non-transparent xpm icons or compile fvwm with
--disable-shape (I don't really suggest this switch), you get what you
want - a frame around the icon, similar to the one in CDE.

There is no option currently that turns this frame on and off.

> Is there also a way to get titles expanded without having to move the

Several developers think that permanently expanded icon titles lead to an
untidy desktop. Additionally, icon titles would overlap each other making
it impossible to see short icon titles at all. This is why icon titles
expanded only when the pointer enters the icon.

If you really need such option, try to fill the feature request at the
web site.

You may get full window title names in WindowList, press Alt-Tab.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:47:17 -0800

> want - a frame around the icon, similar to the one in CDE.

Why is it you don't suggest it?  What other parts are affected?

> If you really need such option, try to fill the feature request at the

Come to think of it, I'm not really in any desperate need for such an
option...  But maybe I'll ask for an option to make frames over icons in the
feature request...

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:06:40 +0000

> Why is it you don't suggest it?  What other parts are affected?

This disables shaped windows. So transparent icons are filled with black,
the freeamp's client window has black in the corners, xeyes has random
garbage colors, the same with "asclock -theme shaped" and others.

But if you don't use shaped (transparent) windows, it may be fine for you.

Regards,
Mikhael.