Subject: FVWM: Documentation

From: Laurent EVAIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:09:18 +0100

Hi, 

I wrote a few months ago to say that, though
fvwm was a wonderful window manager, a introductive
documentation was missing. The current documentation
is very extensive and it is not so easy to read. 
I am volunteer to try to write such an introductory 
documentation. The goal would 
be:
-to help people to understand the philosophy of fvww 
so that they can decide whether they want to use it
-if they want to use it, to draw up a general picture 
of fvwm to prepare for the man pages 

The length would be 5 or 6 pages, and 
definitly at most 10 pages. 

However, before starting, I would like to make  sure 
that people find this work useful and 
that no one has already started such a work. 

Laurent. 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: John Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:38:33 -0600

A cookbook sounds like a good format.  I have always found the Perl 
Cookbook to be immensely useful. An addition to that would be
Starting off each section off with a commentary on the default rc file that 
comes with FVWM (if there is a default rc file).   At the end each section 
there could be a 'Further Reading' summary that points the user to that 
section's related man pages.

- John Shepard
  [email-masked]

Original message from: David Koo
>Hi All,
>
>    After lurking and eavesdropping on this thread, I seem to gather
>that people want a "gentle introduction to Fvwm" type of a document.
>While you can't get more concise than the manual if you want to
>document everything in a as-small-as-possible space, perhaps the
>length is not the question!! I don't know how many users would really
>mind reading a document twice as large, _provided_ the effort to
>understand is less! Everybody seems to agree that we can do with a
>document that'll introduce fvwm in a gentle way!
>
>    Soooo ... how about an Fvwm cookbook? I don't know of any such
>project, but perhaps a cookbook can meet the requirements laid down.
>It'll give examples of how things are done - how to have gradient in
>title bars, how to define titlebar buttons, blah, blah, with
>sufficiently detailed examples, pictures, etc. Different sections can
>cater to different levels of expertise/familiarity.
>
>    Is there any such existing project? Can the proposed documentation
>project go on such lines? Other comments?
>
>--
>Koo
>--