Subject: FVWM: fvwm in OSX

From: Brian Postow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:12:40 -0500

I'm trying to run fvwm on my new ibook, so I have a consistant
interfase between my linux box at home, and solaris box at work... I
tried to compile it, and got a compiler error in menus.c. 

I wasn't able to find anywhere where it listed the systems that it's
known to work on...

The errors I got were:

menus.c: 240: illegal expression, found 'void'
fvwm.h: 120: parse error in conditional expression

If there is a better place for me to be sending this to, please tell
me.

Thanks

Brian Postow
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:36:38 -0500

>tried to compile it, and got a compiler error in menus.c.

You shouldn't install any unix software on OSX other than through 
fink. Get that first (fink.sourceforge.net), and then "fink install 
fvwm" will work without a hitch.
-- 
Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:54:01 +0000

> If there is a better place for me to be sending this to, please tell

Since this happens with the stable version, you may report this here.
2.5.x problems are to be discussed on [email-masked] not to flood
readers that don't use development versions.

I know it is 2.4.x in your case, but specifying a version helps us anyway.
Specify your compiler and what `uname -a` returns. I think your compiler
is not very standard. Can you try gcc? If no, you should try to port fvwm
to your system and compiler (it may be either trivial or difficult).

In line 120 of fvwm.h comment out (or delete) 4 from 5 lines except
for one or another #define. Tell us which #define worked on your system.
You probably will have more errors if your compiler is not standard.

Regards,
Mikhael.