Subject: FVWM: several configuration questions

From: Li Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:47:24 -0800

Hi, I just started to use FVWM. It looks pretty configurable. But I almost have no idea how to do it. I downloaded FVWM2.4.6 and FVWM themes. I can choose the themes, but how can I reconfigure them?

1,When I tried to quit and save session, it did nothing, the only one worked is Quit FVWM only. 
2,I remember there was a FVWmrc file I can setup color and fonts, but I cannot find it and setup color after i used FVWM themes, how could I setup my color?
3,how can I setup and configure screen saver?

Thank you so much for your help

Li

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:34:25 +0000

> Hi, I just started to use FVWM. It looks pretty configurable. But I almost have no idea how to do it. I downloaded FVWM2.4.6 and FVWM themes. I can choose the themes, but how can I reconfigure them?

Well, if you use fvwm-themes, it helps to read it's documentation.
Usually all questions similar to yours are answered in the FAQ.

> 1,When I tried to quit and save session, it did nothing, the only one worked is Quit FVWM only. 

You don't run FVWM under a session manager, so you should not choose this
option in the themes settings menu or GUI. Restore the "None" choice.

> 2,I remember there was a FVWmrc file I can setup color and fonts, but I cannot find it and setup color after i used FVWM themes, how could I setup my color?

FVWM Themes uses its own file structures (system wide and user) for themes.

  % mkdir -p ~/.fvwm/themes/litan
  % cp `fvwm-config -d`/themes/default/colors ~/.fvwm/themes/litan/

Then edit this colors file as you want, with help of "man FvwmTheme".
Then "Refresh the current theme" from the menu and choose colors@litan.

> 3,how can I setup and configure screen saver?

This is not configurable using menus/GUI yet, but this may be done like:

  % mkdir -p ~/.fvwm/themes/personal
  % echo 'AddToFunc InitFunction + I Exec "xscreensaver -no-splash"' \
      > ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/startup-extra

Then again "Refresh the current theme" and load startup-extra@personal.
The screensaver will be available on the next startup.

Write to [email-masked] if you have problems with
personalizing fvwm-themes.

Or don't run fvwm-themes-start, run fvwm2 instead, and create your own
~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc after reading other configs and "man fvwm2".

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:40:21 -0500

At 9:47 -0800 14/3/2002, Li Tan wrote:
>Hi, I just started to use FVWM. It looks pretty configurable. But I 
>almost have no idea how to do it. I downloaded FVWM2.4.6 and FVWM 
>themes. I can choose the themes, but how can I reconfigure them?
>

I'm still working on my fvwm primer.

Latest incarnation at http://www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/OSX/fvwm-man.pdf

Feedback welcome.

-- 
Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:35:25 +1030

> Li Tan wrote:

In order for the session management to be enabled you must first start X
with a running session manager such as gnome-session. Here is my
~/.xinitrc

/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm-themes-start --no-start
/usr/bin/gnome-session

I then issue a normal startx command. 
Session management must also be selected from... 
Root Menu > Themes Management > Current > Settings > Session Manager

> 2,I remember there was a FVWmrc file I can setup color and fonts, but
> I cannot find it and setup color after i used FVWM themes, how could I
> setup my color?

Attached is a small tarball containing a simple theme I created, with a
README containing a short tutorial on creating your own themes. This
simple theme provides a basic example of modifying components for a very
simple theme. More documentation is included with the fvwm-themes
package and on http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net
It may be simply installed by issuing the following command as a user at
a prompt.

fvwm-themes-config --install ft-example-theme-0.6.x.tar.gz

Or for a site wide install as root by this command....

fvwm-themes-config --site --install ft-example-theme-0.6.x.tar.gz

After installation the README can be viewed by clicking on Root Menu >
Theme Management > Example > README

> 3,how can I setup and configure screen saver?

If you have installed the xscreensaver package then you should be able
to access a great many screensaver choices from the Root Menu > Screen
Saver menus. You may be able to find this package on your install CD.

> Thank you so much for your help

More information on your fvwm and fvwm-themes installations can be
viewed by issuing the following commands...

fvwm-config --info
fvwm-themes-config --info

Alex