Subject: FVWM: Question about configuring with libXpm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:56:05 -0800

I am building fvwm on Linux [version info: Linux version 2.4.8-26mdk
([email-masked]) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1
2.96-0.62mdk)) #1 Sun Sep 23 17:06:39 CEST 2001].  I have downloaded the
latest version of Xpm but configure insists a usable version of libXpm cannot
be found.  Here is the relevant portion of config.log.

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

. . .

configure:2538: checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm
configure:2557: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lXpm /usr/lib/libXpm.so  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11   1>&5
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 2546 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char XpmReadFileToXpmImage();

int main() {
XpmReadFileToXpmImage()
; return 0; }

. . .

Comments about dealing with this will be appreciated.

-- Bob

-- 
Robert L. Knighten
15580 S.W. Bridle Hills Drive
Beaverton, OR 97007
(503) 626-4965
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:21:19 -0500

> Comments about dealing with this will be appreciated.

Running "nm" on my copy of libXpm.so and looking for fxstat I see:

nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so
...
         U __fxstat@@GLIBC_2.0
...

I believe I'm running the same version of Mandrake you are.
I believe libXpm was already in /usr/X11R6/lib, perhaps I selected
it during the install.

Anyway, I believe the "U" indicates that the symbol is undefined,
but it expects to resolve it from GLIBC_2.0.

You don't say what version of Xpm you are trying to use or whether
you built it yourself...

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].