Subject: FVWM: placement gravity

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:17:50 -0700

Hello,

When a x app is started it pops up at the top left of my screen. Is
there a way to make it pop up starting at the bottom right?
I couldnt see anything about this in the man page

I was trying to think of a way to do this with FvwmEvent and
AnimatedMove, but not sure if that is possible.

thanks for any suggestions,
sa

using fvwm2.5
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:44:11 +0100

> AnimatedMove, but not sure if that is possible.

Many applications have options like -g, -geom or -geometry.  For
example with xterm:

  $ xterm -geom -0-0

If the application doesn't have one of these, you can put an X
resource string in your $HOME/.Xdefaults file, e.g.

 *myapplication*geometry: -0-0

where myapplication is the application's name or class or
resource.  You can find that out with FvwmIdent.  It's sometimes
a bit difficult to find the correct line, though.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:45:59 -0700

> Many applications have options like -g, -geom or -geometry.  For

I was looking for something more on the lines of what I just found
in docs/TODO.

  - A WindowGravity option that controlls placement direction choices
    for SmartPlacement (and perhaps RandomPlacement)?  Perhaps make it
    a Style option??

:-)

Like when the first window opens (and no geometry is specified) it
is put at +0+0, and then the next is put at +583+0 and so on. I am
going to try to write a script that will change +0+0 to -0-0 and
+583+0 to -583-0 etc., and then plug that converted position into
AnimatedMove to move thæ window. If any one has any easy ways to do
this please let me know :-), otherwise i will report back when I
figure it out.

thx,
sa

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:44:31 +0000

> this please let me know :-), otherwise i will report back when I

This is all under FAQ 3.18, just be careful with automatical actions.

  *FvwmEvent-ReverseGravity: PassId
  *FvwmEvent-ReverseGravity: add_window FlipWindow

  DestroyFunc FlipWindow
  AddToFunc   FlipWindow
  + I WindowId $0 AnimatedMove -$[w.x]p -$[w.y]p

  AddToFunc StartFunction I FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-ReverseGravity

But such flipping is only useful with CascadePlacement.

Regards,
Mikhael.