Subject: FVWM: newbie questions

From: Eduardo Gargiulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:34:11 -0500

Hi all.

I want some hints about how to solve the following ...

1. when i start some apps (eg: xmms) from fvwm menu, the program starts
with a fvwm window title-bar, but it have already its own. The syntax
i'm using is

+ "&Xmms" Exec exec xmms

How can i start the app without the title-bar?

2. which conf or module should i use to set xterm backgrounds
transparent?

TIA

-- 
Eduardo Gargiulo
ejg(at)ar.homelinux.org
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:39:37 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:

<snip>

> 2. which conf or module should i use to set xterm backgrounds

I think the only way to do that is within the term app itself.  If the
term app doesn't have a way to toggle transparency, you probably can't do
that.
I use a transparent Eterm with a very small font in the lower left hand
corner of my desktop to keep an eye on XMessages.
I think aterm also supports transparency?  Not sure.
								-Tenebrae.

(Remove the NOSPAM part to e-mail me.  I'm kinda experimenting with that.)

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:54:18 -0800

Tenebrae wrote:
...
> I think aterm also supports transparency?  Not sure.

  yes, it does,

	erik

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:12:43 -0700

> How can i start the app without the title-bar?

My XMMS doesnt have a fvwm border or titlebar, I think its because i 
use: 'Style * MWMFunctions' in my .fvwm2rc. if adding that doesnt 
work there is always 'Style XMMS* NoTitle'

sa

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:33:52 +0000

> How can i start the app without the title-bar?

Which fvwm version do you use?

xmms should already be without any decorations, because it requests this.

Anyway, here are commands that enable or disable decorations:

  Style app NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, NoHandles
  Style app Title, BorderWidth 5, NoHandles  # or: Handles, HandleWidth 7

> 2. which conf or module should i use to set xterm backgrounds

Use terminal emulators that support transparency, like rxvt, Eterm,
gnome-terminal, aterm.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:32:16 -0800

> work there is always 'Style XMMS* NoTitle'

  you can also set it in xmms options, it worked for me in fvwm 2.2 and
2.4

	erik