Subject: FVWM: fvwm2, xterms and applications

From: John Cessor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:15:38 -0500

Howdy Folks
I am trying to get fvwm2 to behave in such a way as to allow me to have
an application open (in my case remedy), open an xterm and grep for
data from a file and while it is on top of my application click a diary
button
so i can cut and paste the data from the xterm into the diary. The
problem
is that when I click the diary button it kicks my xterm to the back of
the
application and I have to cycle through everything on my desktop to get
the xterm back on top. Is there a way to keep the xterm on top of the
application?  Any help on this problem would be appreciated.
I am using solaris 8 on an ultra 10 with FVWM version 2.4.4.
JohnC

John Cessor
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:40:41 +0000

On 20 Mar 2002 16:15:38 -0500, John Cessor wrote:
> an application open (in my case remedy), open an xterm and grep for data
> from a file and while it is on top of my application click a diary
> button so i can cut and paste the data from the xterm into the diary.
> The problem is that when I click the diary button it kicks my xterm to
> the back of the application and I have to cycle through everything on my
> desktop to get the xterm back on top. Is there a way to keep the xterm
> on top of the application?  Any help on this problem would be
> appreciated.

Somewhere in your config file you said you want such automatical raising.
ClickToFocusRaises or MouseFocusClickRaises.

What you described is one of the reasons I personaly don't use these
options, they just do not do what you want. Because sometimes you want a
window to be raised and sometimes not, so the solution is the explicit
raising, not automatic. But some folks like automatic raising on click.

To solve your problem, you may add to the end of your config:

  Style remedy ClickToFocusRaisesOff, MouseFocusClickRaisesOff

Replace remedy with the correct string or "*".

To explicitely raise a window on click together with Alt/Meta key you may
add something like:

  Mouse 2  WIFS  M   MoveOrRaiseLower

  DestroyFunc MoveOrRaiseLower
  AddToFunc   MoveOrRaiseLower
  + H Move
  + M Move
  + C RaiseLower

This way you don't need to cycle through everything. Just click mouse
button 2 while pressing Alt, one or more times inside any window.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:16:56 +0100

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:40:41PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> raising, not automatic.

So, how should it behave to satisfy your needs, Mikhael?  Would a
configurable raise button help?  Or perhaps if only button 1
raises (hard coded)?

> But some folks like automatic raising on click.

Yup :)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:56:36 +0000

> configurable raise button help?  Or perhaps if only button 1

No, automatical raising will never satisfy my needs. I like this:

  Click never automatically raises a window.
  Alt + click-2 RaiseLower a window.

  Click on decorations raises
  Alt-F5 RaiseLower

There is no reason for me why mouse buttons _inside_ a window should raise
just because I copy (mouse 1), paste (mouse 2) or open a context menu in
some apps (mouse 3). :)

But I probably would add a binding for my side mouse button number 8:

  Mouse 8  WIFS  M  MoveOrRaiseLower

I even know how to patch FVWM (add one "0 && ") so that it does not
throw <<ERROR>> Illegal mouse button. But as I said Alt works ok for me.

Regards,
Mikhael.