Subject: FVWM: Problem with StickyIcon and FvwmTaskBar

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:43:03 +0100

Hi there again,

Even I have upgraded to version 2.5.0. I realized a problem using the StickyIcon
Style and the FvwmTaskBar option DeskOnly together.
Normally if a window is iconified and the Style StickyIcon is applied it is
sticky and it is always visible in FvwmTaskBar even when switching to another
desk and the TaskBar option DeskOnly is applied. That's how it was in my
previous versions of fvwm2, which was 2.4.3 and earlier. 
In version 2.5.0 an iconified window which is sticky caused by the StickyIcon
Style disappears from the TaskBar if I switch to another desk and it is shown
again if I switch back to desk where the window has been iconified.
If I switch to another desk and apply the command 

All (CurrentPage !"Fvwm*B*") Iconify off

the window deiconifies on the current page but it is still not shown in the
TaskBar. After changing the desktop certain times, sometimes 3 or 4 times, the
window is shown in the TaskBar.

The problem does not occur if the window is put to the sticky state by applying
the Sticky command to it. Nor if it is iconified after the Sticky command has
been applied. Both cases work beautifully.

Can anyone reproduce this behaviour and has a solution? 

Just in case, I have put my .fvwm2rc on the web
[http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp/download/fvwm2rc_StickyIcon_TaskBar_problem.bz2]
(Maybe I did a mistake.)

Uwe
-- 
+----------------------------------------------
| Uwe Pross
| mail : mailto:[email-masked]
| www  : http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
+----------------------------------------------

Have a nice day ;-).

-----------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:28:19 +0100

> Can anyone reproduce this behaviour and has a solution? 

The problem is gone with a more recent snapshot.  Try a snapshot
that is about two weeks old.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:31:03 +0100

> that is about two weeks old.

I have tried the snapshot from 25/02/2002 which is about 2  weeks  old
and  there is still the same problem. I also discovert another problem
with FvwmTaskBar and FvwmPager. 

I am  using  2  desks,  FvwmPager  and  the  FvwmTaskBar  with  option
DeskOnly.  Say  If  I am on desk 0 and there is a window on this desk,
there is no matter if it is on the current page  or  on  another  one,
and  I  use  the  pager  to  move  the  window  to  desk 1 it does not
disappear from the TaskBar. Instead the window  is  showing  twice  in
the  TaskBar.  Using  "WindowList  (CurrentDesk)" does not display the
window on desk 0 which is correct. If I use  the  Pager  to  move  the
window back to desk 0 and everything is fine.

Another thing which happens while  writting  this  mail  is  that  the
snapshot does not like the command:

WindowList (CurrentPage) Root c c NoDeskSort NoGeometry \
        UseIconName "Prev (CurrentPage,!FvwmButtons) FlipRaise" 

The following error occured:

[FVWM][WindowList]: <<ERROR>> Unknown option '(CurrentPage)'
[FVWM][WindowList]: <<ERROR>> Unknown option 'Root'
[FVWM][WindowList]: <<ERROR>> Unknown option 'c'
[FVWM][WindowList]: <<ERROR>> Unknown option 'c'

Is anything wrong with the command above? I studied the man  page  and
I  think this command should work. I think it did in version 2.4.x but
I am not that sure. 

Uwe

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:25:17 +0100

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 09:31:03PM +0100, Uwe Pross wrote:
> ....
> I think it did in version 2.4.x but I am not that sure. 

I did not. I have tried it  with  version  2.4.0  and  version  2.4.6,
sorry  for  that.  I  have  got  this  command  for  a long time in my
.fvwm2rc and never realized that there is something wrong with that. 

Can anybody tell me how this is done correctly?

Thanks, 

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:24:14 +0100

>         UseIconName "Prev (CurrentPage,!FvwmButtons) FlipRaise" 

Well, perhaps it was just luck that I didn't see the problem here
and that you didn't see it with 2.4.x.  The code for the DeskOnly
option is totally broken in FvwmTaskBar and as far as I can see,
it has been broken for a long time.  First, it completely ignores
the StickyIcon style.  Second, it sometimes thinks a window is
moved onto the current desk when its actually removed from it.

> I  think this command should work. I think it did in version 2.4.x but

The same bug was introduced into 2.5.0 and 2.4.6.  At the moment,
there is no way to get the position and the condition work at the
same time.  Will be fixed in 2.4.7.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:50:38 +0100

> moved onto the current desk when its actually removed from it.

I have switched back to version 2.4.6  the  first  problem  concerning
StickyIcon  style  is  gone. Iconify a window and switching to another
desk does take the iconified window to another desk, as it should  be.
So the StickyIcon style seems to work in the 2.4.x series. 

The second problem is still present. 

BTW: I have put some screenshots of fvwm2 on the web. (Currently,  the
description  of the shots is only in available in german. I will do an
english page in a while) Maybe you guys can put one (or more) of  them
on the fvwm-screenshot page.

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:50:38 +0100

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:59:18 +0100

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:50:38AM +0100, Uwe Pross wrote:
> 
> BTW: I have put some screenshots of fvwm2 on the web. 

I know this was good one here is the address:
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp/deutsch/fvwm2.shtml

Uwe

Have a nice day ;-).

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:50:05 +0100

> So the StickyIcon style seems to work in the 2.4.x series. 

No, it doesn't.  The code is the same as in 2.5.0.  I don't know
why you don't get it with 2.4.6 and I don't get it with 2.5.0.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^