Subject: FVWM: Tear off menus

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:28:31 +0100 (CET)

I just installed the latest snapshot, and was happily surprised there is
now support for tear off menus. Thanks a lot! I have been missing this
feature for a long time.

Though when tearing off a menu and then clicking button 2 on the title the
window jumps to a new location as if it opens a new tear off menu and
closes the old (which I guess is what happens).
This seems a little odd.

And also I think it would be nice if would be be possible to tear off a
menu be dragging the title with button 1 (I think this is more
intuitive...), this is just a suggestion, I'm sure others have other
opinions.

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:22:18 +0100

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 05:28:31PM +0100, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> closes the old

> (which I guess is what happens).

Exactly.

By default, menus are placed like any other window.  If you don't
like that, put the style

  Style fvwm_menu UsePPosition

in your config file.  But then, borders or even complete menu
entries are sometimes shifted off screen.  Not very nice either.

> menu be dragging the title with button 1

I'd like to add that but I can't think of a way to continue
dragging once the old menu is unmapped and the menu window is
mapped.

> (I think this is more

I'm not yet finished with the implementation yet.  There are some
quirks that bug me.  Any input is welcome.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:54:21 +0100 (CET)

> quirks that bug me.  Any input is welcome.

Another option I would like is to be able to let the title of the window
be the title of the menu, and not show the title in the menu itself.

//Marcus

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:50:09 +0000

> be the title of the menu, and not show the title in the menu itself.

And what to do about menus with 0 or 2 titles? Or with one title in the
middle of the menu.

On the other hand we already have "Title top", that may be only one per
menu. "Title top" may be used for a window title and be removed.

Also two possible options to MenuStyle:

  MenuStyle * FirstTitleIsAlwaysTop  # the name may be different
  MenuStyle * ForceTearOffSeparator  # add dashed separator at the top

I suggest to remove the current Mouse 2 binding on menu titles.
In the future I would like to have configurable mouse or keys bindings
for menu items.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 21:21:30 +0100

> be the title of the menu, and not show the title in the menu itself.

Uh, hard to belive, but I actually understood the sentence the
first time I read it ;-)  Meybe I can top it with my latest
ChangeLog entry:

  use the text from a title item as the tear off menu title if the menu
  begins with a title

Well, in other words:  good idea, consider it done :o)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 21:55:40 +0100

>   MenuStyle * FirstTitleIsAlwaysTop  # the name may be different

What should this style do?

>   MenuStyle * ForceTearOffSeparator  # add dashed separator at the top

That can't be done easily.  It requires modifying the menu itself.
It's simple to add additional items to menus that are already torn
off, but not to regular menus.

> I suggest to remove the current Mouse 2 binding on menu titles.

I didn't know what else to do.  I agree that it's not a good idea.

> In the future I would like to have configurable mouse or keys bindings

I hope you're not talking about bindings with modifiers, mouse
motion and such ...  Different actions for the mouse buttons might
be good start.  I have been thinking about that for quite a while.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^