Subject: Re[2]: FVWM: Compiler warnings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:32:07 +0100

>There are two reasons why I don't compile with -pedantic:  First,
>it's almost impossible to get all the signed/unsigned warnings
>fixed.  Second, I could never find any bug in the code with that
>option and it complains about a lot of useless stuff.

      Extract from gcc man page :

      [-pedantic] There is no reason to use this option; it exists only to
satisfy
pedants.

      This would answer questions about what compilers designers have
in mind when generating warnings :-))))))))
      I used to use it, thinking that all warnings are good to see and
track
down. But with time I feel like Dominik about this particuliar option.

      Fab.

*************************************************************************
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite. 
Tout message electronique est susceptible d'alteration. 
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au 
titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
				********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. 
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.   
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates 
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. 

*************************************************************************

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:04:58 +0100

> down. But with time I feel like Dominik about this particuliar option.

Well, it may be a good thing to get all that signed/unsigned
conversions straight.  But if you didn't do that right from the
start, chances are slim that you'll ever get them all fixed.  I
once tried that, but stopped when streams of new bugs with
implicit conversions came in.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].