Subject: FVWM: Isn't there a Next/Prev-like Circulate command?

From: [email-masked] (Gary W. Swearingen)
Date: 09 Mar 2002 19:00:02 -0800

I've been a happy fvwm user for many years and have had only one
persistent gripe about a seeming lack of a feature.  I have Next and
Prev assigned to keys, but I never remember where in the list I am (nor
want to take the time to examine the WinList) so I hit the wrong Next or
Prev key about half the time and wind up circulating to the wrong end of
the list and then back to the proper window near the other end of the
list.

I would much prefer that Next and Prev not stop when they get to the end
of the list, but continue at the other end.  Is there some way to
control that which I've missed?  Or another command?  Your "NEWS.html"
page refers to a "Next, Circulate", commands, but I see no "Circulate"
command in the manual page of my 2.4.5 version here and the command
didn't work when I tried it.

I'm not subscribed, so please keep me in your reply headers.

Thanks.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:19:18 +0100

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 07:00:02PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> of the list, but continue at the other end.

That is exactly what Next and Prev do.  The reason why they stop
circulating is that they hit a window that does not accept the
focus: e.g. if

  Next Focus

hits an xclock window, it tries to give it the focus, but xclock
never gets the focus, so you're stuck with the currently focused
window.  There are several ways to prevent this situation.  The
best solution is to explicitly tell the Next/prev command to
ignore such windows:

  # works in fvwm-2.4.1 and above (best solution)
  Next (AcceptsFocus) Focus

  # any 2.x version; may or may not work on specific windows
  Style <offending window name> Lenience

  # works in any 2.x version - window won't appear in the window
  # list or some of the modules
  Style <offending window name> WindowListSkip

> Is there some way to
> command

Oops, we internally call the Next and Prev commands (and a few
others that share the same code) "circulating commands".  I should
have listed them all in the NEWS instead of mentioning a
"Circulate" command.  My fault.

> in the manual page of my 2.4.5 version here and the command

No problem.  If you reply, please reply to the mailing list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:10:37 +0000

>   Style <offending window name> WindowListSkip

Just a small addition, if you want Next and Prev to skip your offending
window (like xclock) at all, this should be used:

  # works in any 2.x version - window is skipped in Next / Prev
  Style xclock CirculateSkip

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary W. Swearingen)
Date: 10 Mar 2002 13:27:02 -0800

> > circulating is that they hit a window that does not accept the

Oh.  An undocumented "feature".

> >   Next (AcceptsFocus) Focus

Key Insert A C Next (!Iconic CurrentPage AcceptsFocus) Raise-And-Focus
Key Delete A C Prev (!Iconic CurrentPage AcceptsFocus) Raise-And-Focus

Works!

> >   Style <offending window name> Lenience

Didn't try.

> >   Style <offending window name> WindowListSkip

I don't think so.  My FvwmPager (the one that got in the way) had that.

>   Style xclock CirculateSkip

That worked too (even without the "AcceptsFocus" thing) when I put it
on my pager.  I'll use both methods.

Thanks a bunch.  I've kicked myself good for not asking sooner.

While I'm in the mood, I'll check out your bug reporting form for
my recent problem of the pager coming up way small about half
the time.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].