Subject: FVWM: auto raising windows

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:19:29 -0600

I'm using 2.4.5 (I even used a cvs version from last week), and the
problem I'm seeing is when there is a dialog box (most noticeably kde
and open office), if I move the cursor into the main application's
window when either it or a the dialog box is obscured by another
window both pop to the foreground.  In 2.2.5 the dialog box will come
to the foreground, but the main window won't.  Is there any
configuration setting or way I can have that behavior back?

I think what I would really like is for the dialog box to be above its
main window (if I click on one to bring it to the foreground or
background), without anything automatically raising.

-- 
		+---------------------------------+
		|      David Fries                |
		|      [email-masked]        |
		| http://fries.net/~david/pgp.txt |
		+---------------------------------+

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:58:15 +0100

> background), without anything automatically raising.

What you describe sounds as if you are running the FvwmAuto module
to raise windows, but that was no different in the 2.2.x releases.
Try playing with the styles RaiseTransient/DontRaiseTransient,
LowerTransient/DontLowerTransient and StackTransientParent/
DontStackTransientParent.  I gues you want either

  Style * RaiseTransient, DontLowerTransient, DontStackTransientParent

or

  Style * RaiseTransient, LowerTransient, DontStackTransientParent

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:36:44 -0600

Cool, the DontStackTransientParent was the key.  It looks like with
one of the apps I mentioned when there is a transient and the main
window gets the focus the application must be telling the window
manager to raise its transient, without DontStackTransientParent this
caused the main window to raise also.  Now to keep the program from
auto raising the transient window...  much better though.