Subject: FVWM: How to uninstall 2.4.4 to upgrade to 2.4.5 ?

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:04:55 -0500

The subject says it all.  How do I uninstall 2.4.4 to upgrade to
2.4.5 ?  Or can I simply install over top ?  Will installing over top
leave ~/.fvwm alone ?

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would
have $1.30.  If you had purchased $1000 of beer in 1999, today you
would still have $59 in empty cans.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:18:24 -0500

> 2.4.5 ?  Or can I simply install over top ?  Will installing over top

In every case I know about you don't have to uninstall anything,
you can install right over what you have.

Installation will not change what you have in ~/.fvwm.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:47:05 -0800

> 2.4.5 ?  Or can I simply install over top ?  Will installing over top

  generally there are two sane options:

  1) let the distro do the work - install a package for your distro, in
debian this works extremely well, in some other distros it might not be
such a good idea (distro here means basically ANY OS distribution you
are using, not linux only)

  2) install the fvwm into /opt/fvwm-2.4.4, new one in /opt/fvwm-2.4.5
etc. then use stow to make it available:

  stow -d /opt -t /usr/local --delete fvwm-2.4.4

  stow -d /opt -t /usr/local fvwm-2.4.5

  (I am not 100% sure about the delete, it probably does not need -d
etc.)

  that way it is easy to upgrade the software that's not part of system
installation, you keep track of all your locally installed packages
(each has a separate directory under /opt), you can easily remove
packages (stow takes care of that), since stow uses links you always
know to which package a file under /usr/local belongs etc. check the
stow docs for more info.

  I haven't tried this with fvwm but it should work.

	erik