Subject: FVWM: Ugliness after upgrading

From: Jeff Shipman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:32:27 -0700

I started out using fvwm v2.2.4, and after
upgrading to v2.4.4 my windows started looking
ugly. I'm having trouble finding the option to
get rid of the ugly border. Attached are a good
and bad .png file with the respective screenshots.
These gray borders are appearing everywhere, in
my menus, between my windowlist items, buttons,
etc. Please help me change the color back to
what it was before.

Thanks,
-- 
Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [email-masked]
Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:27:04 +0000

> etc. Please help me change the color back to

Shadow/hilight colors for 3d effect are now calculated using a modified
motif algorithm. This is done to ensure the 3d effect is visible for very
dark and very light colors.

You have 2 choices. Replace dark blue color with something more light
until the shadow color will be darker (and not lighter as it is now).

Another posibility is to use colorsets instead of regular colors. Then you
may defined fg, bg, shadow and hilight colors for windows (active or not).
I answered this question a lot of times, but I may do this again if you
need some help regarding colorsets (try the man pages first).

Maybe in the future there will be an option to choose between the motif
algorithm (what you called bad in screenshots) and gtk (you called good).
Or better yet, there may be an option to tune the motif constants (so it
behaves as the gtk algorithm). But again, with colorsets you should not
rely on any algorithm, you may specify shadow/hilight colors yourself.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jeff Shipman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:05:38 -0700

> rely on any algorithm, you may specify shadow/hilight colors yourself.

Could you explain it? I read through FvwmTheme, and I
tried the following:

*FvwmTheme: Colorset 0 fg darkblue bg darkblue sh darkblue

Style "*" NoIcon,Colorset 0

just to try something out, but it doesn't work. I just get
white colors (like as if it's a default).

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:43:04 +0000

> white colors (like as if it's a default).

You should also run FvwmTheme module, better to do this in StartFunction.

See also (the first is almost your "gray" question):

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0112/msg00274.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0112/msg00105.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0202/msg00043.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0202/msg00274.html

Unfortunately search does not work in archives.
Jason, can you install any searcher, like http://www.mnogosearch.org/ ?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 14:55:01 -0600

>>>>> "MG" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

MG> Jason, can you install any searcher, like
MG> http://www.mnogosearch.org/ ?

I've requested that Google index the site, but that has not yet
happened.

 - J<

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:53:55 -0800 (PST)

>   http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0112/msg00274.html

Funny - I was thinking that, too.
I feel so lame after going back and reading my posts.  :/
My desktop is still not quite the way I want it (the title bar is faceted
now instead of a nice curved bar like in the previous version of FVWM2
that I was using) which is why I never posted an updated
screenshot/config.
I for one would be interested in this (quoted from a previous e-mail on
the subject by Mikhael Goikhman):

"Maybe in the future there will be an option to choose between the motif
algorithm (what you called bad in screenshots) and gtk (you called good).
Or better yet, there may be an option to tune the motif constants (so it
behaves as the gtk algorithm)."

Ah well.
I'll figure it all out someday.
Maybe.
								-Tenebrae.