Subject: FVWM: New window placement question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:18:46 -0800

When my screen is full of windows, fvwm is kind enough to bring up the
outline of a new window and prompt me to place it.  When this happens,
the mouse is at the upper left corner of the new window outline.

The question: is there a way to reposition the mouse in this case so it
falls in the center of the new window outline?

Sorry--I am at a different machine and don't know the fvwm version I'm
running at home.  It's a recent version; it came with Slackware 8.

Thanks,
-Beej

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 02:33:24 +0000

> falls in the center of the new window outline?

You may do this using FvwmEvent, add_window and WarpToWindow 50 50,
see FAQ #3.18.

But just purely by chance, you may do it now without changing configs.
If you press Shift while placing a window manually, you may also resize a
window by dragging, not just move it (this is a mwm compatibility mode).
Resize starts from the window center.

So if you press shift together with mouse button 1 and without dragging
(i.e. you immediately release the mouse button), you get what you want.

> running at home.  It's a recent version; it came with Slackware 8.

Regards,
Mikhael.