Subject: FVWM: Re: Question about fvwm history

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:11:04 +0100

Hm, I was accidently sending this to John Shepard only. Here it goes to
the list:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: Question about fvwm history
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:07:23 +0100
From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
To: John Shepard <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>

I just did a google search for `Robert Nation', and result no. 13 out of
1.7 million was an interview with Rob in the Linux Journal from 1997:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=2164

There is no really new information on the date-of-birth of FVWM, but
he's saying that FVWM means `Feeble Virtual Window Manager'...

I prefer `feline'...

uli
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:53:09 -0500 (EST)

> he's saying that FVWM means `Feeble Virtual Window Manager'...

I've followed FVWM for quite a number of years.  The "feeble" referred
to its memory footprint, which was how FVWM was "marketed" in the early
days.

We can credit Robert with the concept of WM "module" programs:  the
first one was GoodStuff, which was rewritten (or renamed) as FvwmButtons
and possibly FvwmWharf.

For the "birthdate" of Fvwm, you may want to check google for the first
announcement of FVWM's availability to comp.windows.x.announce (I
remember seeing that first post, actually, and it was either in 1992 or
1993).  I do know that I had no problems running the first release of
FVWM on my RS/6000 running X11R3, X11R4, and (finally) X11R5.  I did
send Robert a few patches where I added #ifdef's for AIX for things like
<sys/select.h>. Somewhere I have a QIC-150 tape that has the original
distribution, since I have never thrown out any backup tapes that I've
made.

After Robert left FVWM development, Chuck Hines took over, and he passed
the reins to Brady Montz (sp?), who passed it on to the current cadre of
developers on the fvwm-workers list.

(This history is entirely unofficial, obviously, and purely from my
possibly faulty memory. A google search and FVWM mailing list archive
search can probably give exact dates for the various changes that FVWM
has gone through.)

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

            Working for COMPAQ for over a twentieth of a century

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:34:12 +0100

For anybody who has missed the outcome of this thread:  The first
fvwm release (0.5) was announced on 1st of June, 1993.  The 1.0
release was announced on 21st of October, 1993.

> > he's saying that FVWM means `Feeble Virtual Window Manager'...

I prefer not making a decision :-)

> first one was GoodStuff, which was rewritten (or renamed) as FvwmButtons
[snip]

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:59:33 +0000 (GMT)

Here is my input,

> he's saying that FVWM means `Feeble Virtual Window

I had always assumed that that the "F" stood for:

"Featherweight"????

--Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].