Subject: FVWM: StaysOnBottom / RaiseLower problem

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:31:16 +0100

Hi fvwm-folks!

I have a problem with some of my transparent aterm-windows. I'd like
them to stick on the root window like e.g. root-tail does. They should
NEVER be raised over other windows. That's what I do after creating
windows named "logwindow":

Style "logwindow" StaysOnBottom, NoTitle, Sticky, NoHandles, HandleWidth
0, WindowListSkip, CirculateSkip, BorderWidth 0

Well, this should work, right? But on my Tab key I have this:

Key     Tab     A       C       WindowId $w RaiseLower

And this raises these windows again.

They don't appear on the pager or in the windowlist, that's ok.

What can I do? Didn't find a solution in the manpage ...

Thanks IA

Andre

-- 
bashian roulette:
if [ $(($RANDOM%6)) -eq 0 ]; then rm -rf ~; fi
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:42:44 +0100

> They don't appear on the pager or in the windowlist, that's ok.

Oops, sorry, this was a lie. They DO appear, but shouldn't ...

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:55:20 +0000

> Key     Tab     A       C       WindowId $w RaiseLower

This is not directly related, but where did you find such example? :)

Let see what happens. First of all, $w is expanded when Key command is
parsed and it is expanded to dollar-w, since there is most certainly no
active window. If it would, i.e. suppose we issue the Key command in a
window context, like "Next (XCalc) Key Tab A C WindowId $w RaiseLower",
Ctrl-Tab would always raise/lower our existing calculator window only.

But there is no window context at Key, so the command bound to Ctrl-Tab
is "WindowId some-non-existing-id RaiseLower", which is equivalent to
simply "RaiseLower".

But even if you would properly escape this command, i.e.:

  Key Tab A C WindowId $$w RaiseLower

still "WindowId $w RaiseLower" (after Key expansion) is fully equivalent
to "RaiseLower". No matter there is window context or no.

So, I suggest to remove the confusing "WindowId $w" from this line.
The only justified usage of WindowId here would be something like this:

  Key Tab A C WindowId $$w (!aterm) RaiseLower

> They [don't] appear on the pager or in the windowlist, that's ok.

It should appear in the pager. But not in WindowList (WindowListSkip).
Probably your aterm windows don't match "logwindow" pattern?

> What can I do? Didn't find a solution in the manpage ...

Windows with StaysOnBottom should not be raised over normal windows.
This works correctly in stable versions.

But, I just tested, all layer-related style options (StaysOn..., Layer)
are ignored in 2.5.x. It is an alpha/beta code.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:10:24 +0100

> This is not directly related, but where did you find such example? :)

Um ... don't remember, to be honest ... but it used to work.
 
I replaced this line with

Key Tab A C WindowId $$w (!logwindow) RaiseLower

But it still raises ... let me see ...

> This works correctly in stable versions.

It IS stable ...

[andre@coffee andre]$ fvwm2 -version
FVWM version 2.4.4 compiled on Jan 18 2002 at 15:20:10
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, Shape, SM

> are ignored in 2.5.x. It is an alpha/beta code.

Checked again my config, it reads: (some parts excluded with [..])

Style "logwindow" [..], StaysOnBottom, NeverFocus, [..]

Really strange ... it just ignores the StaysOnBottom.

Andre

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:53:52 +0000

> Really strange ... it just ignores the StaysOnBottom.

As I said, it works fine in 2.4.x for me.

And it works fine in 2.5.x too for new windows, it just does not change
the layer of exisiting windows after Recapture, as it was in 2.4.x.

All signs are that the name of your windows is not "logwindow".
This may explain 2 problems above plus a problem of listing it in
WindowList when WindowListSkip is specified.
Or maybe you have another Style line that undos this one, like:

  Style "XTerm" StaysPut, SloppyFocus, WindowListHit

If you think there is a bug, create a minimal rc file showing the problem,
or maybe we can reproduce the problem if you post your whole config here.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:04:19 +0100

> As I said, it works fine in 2.4.x for me.

You lucky guy ;)
 
> All signs are that the name of your windows is not "logwindow".

It is, because other stuff like "NoTitle, Sticky" applied on the same
line work fine ...

>   Style "XTerm" StaysPut, SloppyFocus, WindowListHit

Uhm ... no. Noting like this. Even if I type my Style inside a
FvwmConsole, it doesn't work ...
 
> If you think there is a bug, create a minimal rc file showing the
> problem, or maybe we can reproduce the problem if you post your whole
> config here.

Hah, do you really want me to post the WHOLE RC? Don't think so.

I put my rc to [1]. You will also find my .xinitrc and two screenshots
there, showing the problem. Again: My version is 2.4.4.

TIA

Andre

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:04:52 +0100

Dammit, forgot to write the URL:

http://problemlos.ch/tmp/

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:33:30 +0000

> there, showing the problem. Again: My version is 2.4.4.

Tried several times your config with "logwindow" already on the screen or
not. Everything works in 2.4.5 and 2.4.4. "logwindow" is on the layer 2,
other windows on the layer 4, so RaiseLower does not raise it. And it is
NeverFocus, so Ctrl-Tab does not even applied to it (but to the currently
focused window instead). And it is not listed in WindowList as requested.

Try to reproduce the problem with a minimal .fvwm2rc, like:

  Style logwindow StaysOnBottom
  Exec xmessage -g 400x400+200+200 $v
  Exec aterm -g 80x40+150+250 -name logwindow -tr
  Wait xmessage
  Wait aterm
  All (xmessage) Raise
  All (aterm) RaiseLower

And then start X with a one line .xinitrc running fvwm-2.4.5.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:03:16 +0100

Good morning Mikhael!

> And then start X with a one line .xinitrc running fvwm-2.4.5.

Well, guess what: It worked (even with 2.4.4). And the funniest thing
for me is that it now works with my current RC as well! The only fact
that changed since yesterday is, that I always 'restart'ed fvwm2 until
now, but never exited from X and startx'ed again.

Sorry Mikhael for the work. But I really can't explain this. I know it
sounds like the good ol' Windows helpdesk times: "I didn't change
anything in the system configuration, but it doesn't work anymore".

Thank you very much, once again, I am sure to stick to fvwm2 :)

Andre

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:03:04 +0000

> now, but never exited from X and startx'ed again.

Ok, then I have an explanation for you. You ones changed the layer of
logwindow's using something like "All (logwindow) Layer +2" command.
This changed layer of your windows (4 instead of 2) is preserved during
Restart regardless of StaysOnBottom. The solution is to put them back
using Layer -2.

> anything in the system configuration, but it doesn't work anymore".

We are always ready to a hidden, hard to reproduce bug, not just a user
failure. In this case, it is a feature, some people may like to preserve
a layer of windows during restarts that they changed dynamically.

There is always "Restart --dont-preserve-state" if you don't need this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:07:32 +0100

> the layer of exisiting windows after Recapture, as it was in 2.4.x.

I see.  I'll comment on this in a different thread.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].