Subject: FVWM: A little help

From: "Buchs, Kevin J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:44:08 -0600

Dear FVWM List,

I have been using fvwm2 for quite a while, on HP-UX, and I am currently
running version 2.2.5.  I have had an annoying problem for quite some time
and I promised myself I would try to find an answer today.

At various times my pointer will change from the default arrow to a black
circle and the mouse button actions will be neutralized for a click or more,
meaning, they don't work in their assigned function, and I need to click a
couple of times to clear fvwm out of this "mode."  Nothing else happens
during these clicks.  

I thought there could be something I was doing strange in my .fvwm2rc so I
deleted everything that wasn't something I understood (I copied statements
from many others along the way).  I only have menu, function, key, button
and style commands left for the most part.  Still the problem persists.

This problem usually seems to occur after I do a "Close" on a window.  I
also have this problem occur some of the time when I go to manipulate the
icons.

I did a search through the FAQ and didn't find anything.

Could someone please lend a helpful hint or two?

A second problem I frequently have is certain applications want to place
their title bar off the screen.  I understand this may be an issue with
applications failing to follow ICCCM guidelines.  Is there anything I can do
to fix this problem in general?  I would rather not have to hard code for
each offending application.  

Thanks for your help!

Kevin Buchs   Mayo Foundation   200 1st St SW   Rochester MN 55901
http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg   [email-masked]   507-538-5459
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:22:27 -0800

"Buchs, Kevin J." wrote:
...
> circle and the mouse button actions will be neutralized for a click or more,

  I had the same problem in the past, it is the same black circle that
you get when you pick some window function from menu but no menu is
currently selected so fvwm waits for you to click on window (and the
function will be applied to that window, e.g. maximize, iconify etc.).

  also, as far as I remember one click was always enough to get rid of
it, I always clicked on root window because I was worried that some
random function was selected and fvwm waits for me to pick a window...
when I clicked on root window it just beeped and all was fine...

  this doesn't seem to be happening in latest version (2.4.x), at least
I haven't seen it yet. 

	erik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:16:10 +0100

> also have this problem occur some of the time when I go to manipulate the

Fvwm is waiting for you to select a window to do something with
it.  Check what actions are actually run when that happens and
eliminate everything that requires a window to run with.  In newer
versions you'll get a crosshair instead of the dot.

> their title bar off the screen.

> I understand this may be an issue with
> applications failing to follow ICCCM guidelines.

That's the problem.  The ICCCM doesn't specify exactly how
application specified positions are to be interpreted in some
cases.  Traditionally, almost all applications I know off used the
'old' way of specifying positions.  That is until Sun implemented
it in Java in the other way.  Since then, the 'new' approach has
become more popular.

> Is there anything I can do to fix this problem in general?  I
> would rather not have to hard code for each offending
> application.  

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.  You can put
the windows' positions in your .Xdefaults file, but that doesn't
help if you need multiple windows of this kind.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].