Subject: FVWM: fvwm and gnome

From: Erwin Burgstaller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:34:37 +0100

Hi there!

I'm running fvwm 2.4.5-1 on Debian Linux. Currently it's the window
manager in my Gnome-session, and I did ran it stand-alone before.

Because I cannot find anything in the mailing list archive (is search
broken?), I'm asking here:

Why does a window, which is spanned in galeon obviously by javascript,
hide behind the main window and is not going to foreground regardless of
what I'm doing?

Why do child windows of mozilla, which are also spanned by javascript,
only have the 'minimize' decoration?

Why do option windows of applications like xmms, psi, gabber appear
without any decoration?

A funny thing I have with xmms (v1.2.6): The main window stays behind
all other windows, even if I choose the option "always on top". The
playlist-window appears on top, but once brought to background it never
goes to top again. The preferences window is not move- or resizeable and
can't be brought to top.

Thanks,

 Erwin

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:00:28 +0000

> broken?), I'm asking here:

Yes, unfortunately broken for a long time.

There is no enough info in your questions, but I may try to guess.

> hide behind the main window and is not going to foreground regardless of

Maybe because it uses GNOME hints to change its layer? Try:

  Style *galeon* GNOMEIgnoreHints

> only have the 'minimize' decoration?

Mozilla like Netscape asks to remove "maximize" and "minimize" buttons
for some transient windows.

You probably have Iconify button number 6 and Maximize button number 4
while by default they are 4 and 2 respectivelly? Try:

  ButtonStyle 2 - Clear
  ButtonStyle 4 - Clear MWMDecorMax
  ButtonStyle 6 - Clear MWMDecorMin

  # or if you want to disable any remove-button hints use this line
  Style mozilla-bin NoDecorHint, NoFuncHint

> Why do option windows of applications like xmms, psi, gabber appear

They are without a title because they are transient. Try:

  Style * DecorateTransient

> goes to top again. The preferences window is not move- or resizeable and

You may blame xmms developers that decided to force these windows without
normal window manager decorations. They implemented their own move, raise
and even snap attraction. :)

But all window operations work, like Raise from a root window or, say,
RaiseLower bound to Alt + the middle mouse button click inside a window.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erwin Burgstaller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:31:31 +0100

>   Style *galeon* GNOMEIgnoreHints

Yep, works!

>   ButtonStyle 6 - Clear MWMDecorMin

They where set to comment. Now Mozilla-PopUps have full decoration :-)

>   Style mozilla-bin NoDecorHint, NoFuncHint

Wasn't neccessary

>   Style * DecorateTransient

Fine, works too.

> RaiseLower bound to Alt + the middle mouse button click inside a window.

xmms still behaves the same, but that's not a big problem. The other
stuff work good now. 

Thanks a lot,
       
       Erwin

-- 
Erwin Burgstaller
KNAPP Logistics Automation             ([email-masked] / +43 316 495-618)