Subject: FVWM: how do I force a window to open at a particular location?

From: Ram Bhamidipaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:40:52 -0800

Hi

I'm using fvwm 2.4.0.

I want to control the starting position of the windows in my
debugger. Specifically the Sun Workshop debugger.

The workshop debugger has an option to restore the position and size
of the windows when it starts, but something is going wrong. Either
fvwm is ignoring the debuggers request to position the windows or
the debugger is not restoring its position/sizes properly.

The workshop debugger is most likely using motif settings.

I guess what I am looking for is one of the following:

  -Figure out what proporties the debugger is using and
   somehow make fvwm honor those settings.

  -Configure fvwm to force the debugger windows to always
   be placed in a particular location - regardless of what
   hints/preferences the debugger application has.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
-Ram
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:22:04 +0000

> The workshop debugger is most likely using motif settings.

Probably `xwininfo -size` shows the size/position hints of your app.

>    hints/preferences the debugger application has.

I may suggest to use:

  Style * UsePPosition, UseUSPosition

but if you say that the size is also not preserved, it seems that this app
just does not set the previous size (and probably position).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ram Bhamidipaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:07:37 -0800

> just does not set the previous size (and probably position).

My mistake - size is preserved - just not position.

Your suggestion worked!! 

THANK YOU!!!

-Ram