Subject: Re: FVWM: Newbie near from nervous breakdown

From: Ross Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:13:55 +1100

On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 04:44 AM, Benjamin SCHWARZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I am running fvwm on top of a debian linux. I apt-get installed fvwm but 
> it
> didn't give me all I expected. After a day of checking man and mailing-list 
> I
> dowloaded the V2.4.5 from the fvwm site, compiled and installed it.
> Now I spent my day configuring it and there are still things to Fix. Maybe
> you have clues for me:
>
> 	1. the version (V 2.2.5) apt-get installed by debian dynamically created
> menus. I mean, if I installed an application, after restarting fvwm I could
> see the new application in my popup menus.
> I have a little Idea of the way it achieved that, but I could not make it
> work on my 2.4.5...
> I saw something with Fvwm-menu-desktop, but it adresses only menus dealing
> with gnome or kde... I'd like it to work more generaly with Debian. It seems
> debian places every interisting information in /usr/lib/menu. Someone knows
> how to do ?

It's a Debian feature. For the dope on how it works, take a look at...

   info update-menus

In short, to stay compatible with the Debian menu system your .fvvm2rc should 
read and reference menus defined in the file ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook, which 
is created by the update-menus script from hints provided under /usr/lib/menu.

Check out the system.fvwm2rc examples in /usr/share/doc/fvwm/examples/ (that 
is, if you haven't yet  purged the 2.2.5 installed by dpkg).

HTH,
- R.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].