Subject: FVWM: Move glitch

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:23:59 +0100 (CET)

I found a small "glitch" in the way the Move command works.
If I initiate a Move operation using keyboard shortcuts and then start
moving a window to the right, it goes on beyond the screen edge. I let go
at say co-ordinate 3000, then immediatly as I let go the window "snaps
back" to the position it would have been if I moved it using the mouse as
far as possible to the right.

I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour.

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:14:27 +0100

> I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour.

No, of course not.  For me, it works fine.  Which version did you
test?  Can you give me a minimal config file and exact
instructions please?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:04:36 +0000

> test?  Can you give me a minimal config file and exact

Dominik, fire Move, hold Shift-rightarrow for some time, press Enter.
The window comes back to the last switched (during Move) page and its
position depends on the pointer relatively to the window before Move.

Another point. When the pointer switches from, say, page (0, 0) to page
(1, 0) the window may be moved to some position inside the second page
(while holding right arrow), but when the current page is switched after
EdgeResistence milliseconds the window jumps back to the start of the
page. Best seen what happens in the pager.

I really don't know how it _should_ behave correctly with all these page
switchings during the Move. Pretty complicated.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:28:25 +0100

> position depends on the pointer relatively to the window before Move.

Nope, still works fine for me.  Probably it has something to do
with the coinfiguration.  The window is placed exactly in the
place indicated in the pager.

> page. Best seen what happens in the pager.

That's what I intended the code to do.  When I modified this code
a few weeks ago, my goal was to keep the window in the same
position relative to the pointer even when flipping pages.  This
can have the unpleasant side effect that the window moves
backwards after flipping pages.  This should go away if you
disable the EdgeResistance.  I didn't take into account that you
can continue moving the window while the pointer is already over
the pan frame, but I think the current way is perfectly
acceptable.  The alternative would be to forbind moving the window
over the edge without page flipping, but I see no need to enforce
this.

> switchings during the Move. Pretty complicated.

Yup.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:49:17 +0100

> position depends on the pointer relatively to the window before Move.

Finally I was able to reproduce this (actually I'm now unable to
reproduce the contrary case).  Maybe I was just too quick saying
"I don't see this".

I've committed a fix.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^