Subject: FVWM: Newbie problem with: AddToMenu Red_Hat_Linux "Programs" Title (in .fvwm2rc)

From: "Paul Berry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:19:48 -1000

Hello:
I'm new to this mailing list and I'm hoping this is where I go to help
resolve this problem that I have.
My system: RedHat 7.0 running on a 486 w/32MB RAM using the stock .fvwm2rc
file located in my home directory. My .xinitrc file simply says:

#!/bin/bash
exec fvwm2

Fvwm2 starts up fine (and it is great for the old, limited RAM system that I
have), what happens is that when I right click the mouse and get the menu
window, the Programs entry is empty. Normaly there would be programs like
gnotepad+ and subdirectories like multimedia or internet but instead it is
empty. When I tried gnome as the desktop/ window manager et al, all the
Program entries are there so they are not absent from my system it is just
that I/ the configuration file doesn't know where they are.

The part of .fvwm2 that is giving me the problem is this one:

AddToMenu Red_Hat_Linux "Programs" Title
PipeRead "wmconfig --output fvwm2"

I get an error message (not literal but close)- sh: cannot find wmconfig
on the terminal screen that I started X windows with.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Paul

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:31:41 +0000

> Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

You probably don't have wmconfig package installed. Run "rpm -q wmconfig".

  http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=wmconfig

Or maybe you don't have /usr/X11R6/bin in your path.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:34:32 +0100 (CET)

> Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Running 
$ which wmconfig
on my RH 7.2 system gives:
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmconfig

So perhaps this is not in your PATH when .xinitrc is running. Are you sure
.xinitrc is run?