Subject: FVWM: Names/explanations of behavior

From: hugo vanwoerkom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:53:54 -0800 (PST)

In my enthusiasm for newfound tricks I incorporate
changes to use the trick and then lose what the fvwm
`name` is of a certain behavior (which I want to
change). E.g:

1. I like the disappearing taskbar. But I can only get
one mouse button to work:
Case 1
# Only right btn iconifies none other works
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click1 RaiseAndFocus
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click2 Close
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 Iconify On
Case 2
# This way left button iconifies none others work
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 RaiseAndFocus
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click2 Close
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click1 Iconify On
Case 3
# This way left button Raises and Focuses
*FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 RaiseAndFocus
#*FvwmTaskBarAction Click2 Close   	#
#*FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 Iconify On	#

Any clues what I did before this to make that happen?

2. In the last case I left click to raise and focus
somebody, but I cannot get to the window fast enough
because it disappears again. What causes that?

3. What should these do:

Style "*"         IconTitle mini-x2.xpm
Style "*xterm*"   TitleIcon mini-term.xpm

4. Can you AutoHide the MiniButton Bar?

Regards.
Hugo Van Woerkom

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions! 
http://auctions.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:35:14 +0100

> because it disappears again. What causes that?

Strange.  Can you please post your whole FvwmTaskBar
configuration?  What fvwm version do you have?

> Style "*"         IconTitle mini-x2.xpm

The IconTitle style turns on displaying the name of the icon below
the picture.  It does accept any additional arguments, though.
This is equivalent to simply

  Style "*" IconTitle

> Style "*xterm*"   TitleIcon mini-term.xpm

Print an error message.  There is no "TitleIcon" style.  To
specify the picture for xterms this line should do:

  Style "xterm" Icon mini-term.xpm

You can find a complete description of all styles in the fvwm2 man

> 4. Can you AutoHide the MiniButton Bar?

No, only the task bar has AutoHide yet and it doesn't work well.
I have this in my config:

  Style FvwmButtons NoTitle, HandleWidth 1, TitleAtBottom

and

  AddToFunc ResizeOrRaise
  + C Raise
  + M Raise
  + M ResizeMaximize
  + D Current (Shaded) Raise
  + D WindowShade toggle
  Mouse 1 FS    N   Function ResizeOrRaise

So I can double click on the border of FvwmButtons to hide it at
the bottom of the screen.  You could also use FvwmEvent to hide
and show the window when the pointer enters or leaves it:

  *FvwmEvent: focus_change "hide_show_buttons"

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmEvent

  AddToFunc hide_show_buttons
  + I Current (FvwmButtons) WindowShade off
  + I Current (!FvwmButtons) All (FvwmButtons) WindowShade on

  Style FvwmButtons NoTitle, HandleWidth 1, TitleAtBottom
  Style FvwmButtons MouseFocus

That doesn't work well if you have more than one button bar (you
could solve that problem with module aliases).

All this assumes that you have at least fvwm-2.4.0.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:53:52 +0100

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 07:35:14PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> You could also use FvwmEvent to hide

I just committed a patch to the development sources that improves
the situation a bit.  It will be part of the new alpha release
(2.5.0).

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmEvent

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmEvent
  
  AddToFunc hide_show_buttons
  + I None (CirculateHit,HasPointer,FvwmButtons) All (FvwmButtons) WindowShade on
  + I PointerWindow (FvwmButtons) WindowShade off

This still depends on MouseFocus.  It would be nice to be able to
use NeverFocus on FvwmButtons, but it doesn't work well with the
enter_window and leave_window events of FvemEvent.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: hugo vanwoerkom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:03:11 -0800 (PST)

> configuration?  What fvwm version do you have?

I have version 2.4.4 Attached is the whole thing. The
TaskBar part is the very end. Thanks for the quick response.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:50:09 +0100

> TaskBar part is the very end. Thanks for the quick response.

I see a few problems in your config file, but they don't eplain
everything you said:

> #AddToFunc DeiconifyRaiseAndFocus
> + I Iconify off
> + I Raise
> + I Focus

You can't comment out just the first line.  The commands are added
to the last function you defined, in this case to window_ops_func
which is defined 250 lines above.  But probably you wanted to use
that function below, so use

  AddToFunc RaiseAndFocus
  + I Iconify off
  + I Raise
  + I Focus

instead.

> *FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 Iconify On

You don't have a "RaiseAndFocus" function in your config file.
All you get is an error message on the console when you try to
call it.  It looks as if you renamed the RaiseAndFocus function to
DeiconifyRaiseAndFocus some time but forgot to.  I can't explain
why button 2 does not work for you.  Does it work anywhere else,
e.g. to paste text that was marked with button 1 in an xterm?
Sometimes, applications can't be closed with "Close", but this
should happen rarely.  "Destroy" always works, but kills the
application without giving it a chance to save its data.

> *FvwmTaskBarAction Click1 Iconify On

Just what I'd expect 

> #*FvwmTaskBarAction Click3 Iconify On   #

Yes. You only have bound the undefined function, so the default
bindings are used.  The deafult action on the left button is to
raise, deiconify and focus the window.  Since button 2 does not
even work with the default binding I believe the mouse is not
configured properly.  If you run

  $ xev

and click with the middle button in its window you should get
output similar to this:

  ButtonPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
      root 0x57, subw 0x0, time 2861645936, (138,72), root:(888,94),
      state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YES

  ButtonRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
      root 0x57, subw 0x0, time 2861646018, (138,72), root:(888,94),
      state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

If not, the button is definitely not configured right (or simply
broken).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: hugo vanwoerkom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:54:23 -0800 (PST)

> that function below, so use

I ran into the solution by chance by changing the
clicks to:

*FvwmTaskBarAction Click1 Iconify -1,Raise,Focus

I suppose that does the same thing as calling the
Function?

> can't explain
[...]
> even work with the default binding I believe the

You learn something neat every day. Today was at least
this xev that I had never heard of. (The other was
that lilo 22.1 has neater menus...)

This is a new Debian system that I installed 2 days
ago. I had forgotten to change F86Config to set 3
button emulation: I have a 2 button PS/2 mouse...
So now everything works... Button 1 does RaiseAndFocus
without calling the Funcion. Button 2 Iconifies and
Button 3 Closes.

Thanks Dominik. Good job.

Regards. Hugo.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:40:22 -0500

> I suppose that does the same thing as calling the

This is what the FvwmTaskBar man page has to
say about it:

Warning: Use of the  former  syntax
that  allowed  to use comma separated lists of com
mands is strongly discouraged due  to  synchroniza
tion  problems  with fvwm.  Please use complex fvwm
functions instead (defined with the AddToFunc  com
mand of fvwm).

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].