Subject: Re: FVWM: best way to install fvwm for one user only?

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 04:32:11 -0500

My apologies if this goes out twice.  I think my original reply only
went out to tenebrae.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 06:37:50AM -0800, Tenebrae wrote

> <OT>
> Good thing, too, since all the usual Lazy Admin config tools I was used to
> using only seem to be available in the Gnome menus and RedHate's docs
> doesn't see fit to mention them by command line option...Grrr.
> </OT>

  Actually, this could be very much on topic.  Gnome and KDE apps seem
to have an associated *.desktop file, sort of like a Windows .PIF file.
If you execute "find / -iname *.desktop > x" you'll end up with a whole
bunch of files in the list.  One example is the serviceconf.desktop file

[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/X11/applnk/System/serviceconf.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Service Configuration
Name[ja]=............
Comment=Configure which services will be running when the system starts
Comment[ja]=..........................................................
Icon=serviceconf.xpm
Exec=/usr/bin/serviceconf
Type=Application
Terminal=false

  The "Exec=" gives the name of the executable.  Type the command
/usr/bin/serviceconf from a terminal in an X window, and serviceconf
comes up (asking for root password).  Answer, and it runs.  What would
be *REALLY* nice would be a script to list off the files, and parse
them for "Name=", "Icon=", and "Exec=", and then pipe commands to build
a menu on-the-fly.

  Oh... hello everybody.  I've been using FVWM2 for awhile, but I'm
still not very much past the newbie stage with it.  I'm running Redhat
7.2 on a 450 mhz Dell with 128 megs of RAM.  The latest versions of KDE
and Gnome find this a bit underpowered, and 7.1 wasn't much better.
That was what pushed me to FVWM2.  A pleasant side-effect is the ability
to customize my desktop.  I've got a minimalist approach with
FvwmIconMan on the bottom left and a modified FvwmButtons on the bottom
right.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would
have $1.30.  If you had purchased $1000 of beer in 1999, today you
would still have $59 in empty cans.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].