Subject: FVWM: outline move/resize

From: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 02:56:11 +0300

Hello.

Why do fvwm calls XGrabServer in the beginning of outline windows
moves and resizes and UnGrab in the end? is this a performance
question?

-- 
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:09:53 -0500

> moves and resizes and UnGrab in the end? is this a performance

The outlines are xored onto the screen and erased with another
xor.  If the server wasn't grabbed, other applications could
draw on the xor in between and the erase wouldn't work.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:23:45 +0300

>>>>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:09:53 -0500
>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> wrote:
Dan> 
>> moves and resizes and UnGrab in the end? is this a performance
Dan> 
Dan> The outlines are xored onto the screen and erased with another
Dan> xor.  If the server wasn't grabbed, other applications could
Dan> draw on the xor in between and the erase wouldn't work.

Ahh.. I have a problem. Being a debian's fvwm maintainer I got a bug
report on it. User complains that outline processes makes some
X-applications stop and even stops xmms playing for him. And so he
think this is a bug.

BTW, outlines could be erased by updating places they've been, or
could not?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:36:14 -0500

> BTW, outlines could be erased by updating places they've been, or

Xor outlines are used as a speed up, if the user doesn't want
the server grabbed, have them use opaque resizes and moves.

To redraw under the lines, you'd have to save the area under the
lines and redraw it, or create the lines in shaped windows,
it wouldn't be fast anymore.

---

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 01:51:39 -0500

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:23:45AM +0300, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote

> BTW, outlines could be erased by updating places they've been, or

  I have a similar problem in RedHat 7.2 with moving of outlines and
*ANY* audio application (e.g. RealPlayer).  I understand that this is a
generic problem with X, where video card drivers don't play by the rules.
A PCI device is supposed to check whether the PCI bus is busy before
sending data.  If it doesn't, you get conflicts with devices (e.g. PCI
soundcard and PCI videocard) fighting for resources.  There may be an
option when starting X to control this, but I forget.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would
have $1.30.  If you had purchased $1000 of beer in 1999, today you
would still have $59 in empty cans.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:21:02 -0500

> option when starting X to control this, but I forget.

I don't think the PCI bus has anything to do with it.

I don't think its a generic problem with X either.

These CD players need to separate the updating of the display
from the logic that plays the CD.  Being late in updating the
display would not bother the user, but not playing sounds
is understandably disturbing.

Thats normally done with multithreading.