Subject: FVWM: How does it know?

From: Iwona Sakrejda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:22:34 -0800

Hi,

Apologies for a silly question from a new user.
I get a message:
[FVWM][CatchRedirectError]: <<ERROR>> another WM is running

What is being checked to arrive to this conclusion?
How does fvwm2 figure it out?I'd be really greatful if
somebody explained the mechanism behind this message to me.
I tried to search archives and fvwm Web pages, but no luck....

Thanks a lot,

Iwona

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:01:54 -0500

> I tried to search archives and fvwm Web pages, but no luck....

If I attempt to  answer your  question,  will you promise not  to send
vcards to our list?

Heres the code:

events.h:
#define XEVMASK_ROOTW   (LeaveWindowMask| EnterWindowMask | \
          PropertyChangeMask | SubstructureRedirectMask | KeyPressMask | \
          SubstructureNotifyMask | ColormapChangeMask | \
          STROKE_CODE(ButtonMotionMask | DEFAULT_ALL_BUTTONS_MOTION_MASK |) \
          ButtonPressMask | ButtonReleaseMask)

fvwm.c:
  XSetErrorHandler(CatchRedirectError);
  XSetIOErrorHandler(CatchFatal);
  XSelectInput(dpy, Scr.Root, XEVMASK_ROOTW);
  XSync(dpy, 0);

The XSelectInput attempted to  get the X server  to redirect events on
the root window to fvwm.  Its failing and  CatchRedirectError is 
issuing the message because
some  other  program  has already  done  that.   Normally  only window
managers get root window events.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].