Subject: FVWM: Query!!! (Difference in behaviour between MWM and FVWM)

From: "Mala M Prabhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:09:09 +0530

Hi,

	I am facing a problem when running a X-application using 2 different window
managers
	MWM and FVWM.

	Following is the scenario:

	I start an MAIN X-application. Through one of the menu options in the main
window,
	I call a window(say parent). This parent window also has a few other menu
options.
	When one of these menu options are clicked, another window (say child)is
displayed.

	In case of MWM,
	When I exit out of the parent window without exiting out of the child, the
child window
	dissappears and so does the parent. Now if I start the parent window again
and try to
	invoke the child window	it does not appear. The child window will no longer
appear unless
	the entire MAIN application is restarted and we get back using the same
procedure
	(call parent then child).

	In case of FVWM,
	When I exit out of the parent window without exiting out of the child, the
child window
	remains on the screen without disappearing, but the parent window
disappears(as expected).
	Now if I start the parent window again and try to invoke the child window,
it re-appears.

	Hence, for the same instance of MAIN application, the child window once it
disappears,
	will no longer appear in case of MWM, but it appears every time I invoke,
in case of FVWM.
	As per me, the behaviour of the child window in case of FVWM is correct and
as expected.

	I wanted to know why the change in behaviour and what needs to be done so
that the
	behaviour is same when I run my code on both the window managers.

	If anyone has an idea on this, please let me know your
comments/suggestions.
Thanks & Regards,
Mala.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:23:34 -0500

"Mala M Prabhu" <[email-masked]> writes:

... Description of transient menus snipped

> As per me, the behaviour of the child window in case of FVWM is correct
> and as expected.
> 
> I wanted to know why the change in behaviour and what needs to be done 
> so that the

Check the fvwm2 man page for what it says about transients.
There are lots of options plus a section that describes how to
make fvwm work like mwm.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].