Subject: FVWM: Auto-menu of Redhat 7.2 Gnome/KDE applets ?

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:52:41 -0500

Before re-inventing the wheel, I wanted to check whether someone's
already done this.  Gnome and KDE apps seem to have an associated
*.desktop file, sort of like a Windows .PIF file.  If you execute
"find / -name *.desktop > x" you'll end up with a whole bunch of files
in the list.  One example is the serviceconf.desktop file

[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/X11/applnk/System/serviceconf.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Service Configuration
Name[ja]=............
Comment=Configure which services will be running when the system starts
Comment[ja]=..........................................................
Icon=serviceconf.xpm
Exec=/usr/bin/serviceconf
Type=Application
Terminal=false

  The "Exec=" gives the name of the executable.  Type the command
/usr/bin/serviceconf from a terminal in an X window, and serviceconf
comes up (asking for root password).  Answer, and it runs.  What would
be *REALLY* nice would be a script to list off the files, and parse
them for "Name=", "Icon=", and "Exec=", and then piperead commands to
build a menu on-the-fly.

  Oh... hello everybody.  I've been using FVWM2 for awhile, but I'm
still not very much past the newbie stage with it.  I'm running Redhat
7.2 on a 450 mhz Dell with 128 megs of RAM.  The latest versions of KDE
and Gnome find this a bit underpowered, and 7.1 wasn't much better.
That was what pushed me to FVWM2.  A pleasant side-effect is the ability
to customize my desktop.  I've got a minimalist approach with
FvwmIconMan on the bottom left and a modified FvwmButtons on the bottom
right, and a custom menu that pops up when I hit {ALT-F10}.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would
have $1.30.  If you had purchased $1000 of beer in 1999, today you
would still have $59 in empty cans.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:27:29 -0500

> in the list.  One example is the serviceconf.desktop file

Check fvwm-menu-desktop.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:30:51 +0000

> them for "Name=", "Icon=", and "Exec=", and then piperead commands to

fvwm-menu-desktop script that is installed with fvwm-2.4.x does this.
Read "man fvwm-menu-desktop", there are a lot of options.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:34:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

There was a program similar to what you are asking for in RedHat's 6.x
series, but it appears to have been droped.  It was called wmconfig and
used to search /etc/X11/wmconfig.  It also appears as if the program has
been updated (slightly) without the man page being updated since I no
longer have the directory /etc/X11/wmconfig, and yet it still works for
me (kind of...)

My memory may be fading right now, but I seem to remember a script
with a similar functionality to this in a previous dist. of fvwm2, but it
doesn't appear to be included in the version of fvwm2 I'm using at the
moment...  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

$ rpm -q fvwm2
fvwm2-2.2.4-9

Hope this helps,

Tom

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas A. Gardiner                Phone: (1) 716 - 273 - 2429
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy      Fax: (1) 716 - 273 - 1014
Univ. of Rochester                [email-masked]
Rochester, NY 14627-0171          http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~gardiner/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:40:52 +0100 (CET)

> longer have the directory /etc/X11/wmconfig, and yet it still works for

It was still in RH 7.1, which I'm running (I'm sure because a submenu of
my root menu uses it.)
But the script reads a directory structure in /etc/X11/applnk/ (and
perhaps /etc/X11/wmconfig, if that's present, I can experiment some more
if need be.)

> moment...  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

//Marcus

---

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:12:46 -0500

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:52:41PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
> already done this.

  Thanks to everybody who replied.  I've dug up the man file and
implemented FvwmMenu.  It did save me quite a bit of work.