Subject: FVWM: Newbie near from nervous breakdown

From: Benjamin SCHWARZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:44:49 +0100

Hi,

	I am running fvwm on top of a debian linux. I apt-get installed fvwm but it 
didn't give me all I expected. After a day of checking man and mailing-list I 
dowloaded the V2.4.5 from the fvwm site, compiled and installed it. 
Now I spent my day configuring it and there are still things to Fix. Maybe 
you have clues for me:

	1. the version (V 2.2.5) apt-get installed by debian dynamically created 
menus. I mean, if I installed an application, after restarting fvwm I could 
see the new application in my popup menus.
I have a little Idea of the way it achieved that, but I could not make it 
work on my 2.4.5...
I saw something with Fvwm-menu-desktop, but it adresses only menus dealing 
with gnome or kde... I'd like it to work more generaly with Debian. It seems 
debian places every interisting information in /usr/lib/menu. Someone knows 
how to do ?

	2. I still have problems with my windows
		A. When ALT-TABing, sometimes the focus passes to a window which is on an 
other page. It seems it happens for big windows that spread on theire entire 
pages (mozilla browser) and may have a few pixels an the other page...
		B. I could not set the ALT-TAB behavior the way I expected: I'd like to 
ALT-TAB between the last accessed windows but can just ALT-TAB in circle... 
(I tried FlipFocus but that didn't work)

Any help appreciated...
		--Ben

PS: I dont send you the .fvwm2rc, I took the sample-2 and it is quite 
untouched.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:09:52 -0800

> debian places every interisting information in /usr/lib/menu. Someone knows

  2.4.x does the same, the difference is that there are slight changes
which files are read upon startup. I had a similar problem caused by a
config file I had in my home directory that wasn't used by 2.2 version
but is used by 2.4. Try to see which config files are read, use strace
and search for ^open. It should use the system config files in
/etc/X11/fvwm (you can see which one contains menu and check whether
that one is read).

	erik