Subject: FVWM: Put windows vertical, not horizontal

From: Markus Grunwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:22:53 +0100

Hi !

First: fvwm is great. Thank you ;)

But I don't like the standard behaviour how windows are put on the screen from left to right. I would like that they are created from top to bottom.

I asked this question a while ago, unfortunately the answer was "not possible". Now I have a little spare time and would like to implement that feature myself. Since this is the first time I would look into the fvwm2 source I some little hints where to start best...

TIA!
-- 
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577      
http://counter.li.org                http://www.grunwald.2xs.de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:49:48 +0100

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 10:22:53AM +0100, Markus Grunwald wrote:
> But I don't like the standard behaviour how windows are put on
> the screen from left to right. I would like that they are
> created from top to bottom.
> 
> I asked this question a while ago, unfortunately the answer was
> "not possible". Now I have a little spare time and would like to
> implement that feature myself. Since this is the first time I
> would look into the fvwm2 source I some little hints where to
> start best...

All the placement code is in fvwm/placement.c.  The two functions
you want to start looking at are SmartPlacement() and
CleverPlacement().  You should make this a style option similar to
th TBLR arguments of the IconBox style.  For the new style, you
have to touch

  style.c
  style.h
  window_flags.h
  fvwm.h (the flag for the style belongs into the 'style only'
          part of the flags)

And please don't forget to add a ChangeLog entriy for every
function you touch.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].