Subject: FVWM: advanced newbie fvwm2 config questions

From: Vaclav Peroutka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:04:12 +0100

Hi,

I use fvwm2 from RH6.2 and met following config problems:

1.) when I use my own icons in /usr/local/my_icons - I put this line 
into .fvwm2rc as IconPath. For root, it is OK, but not for normal user. 
It always looks into /usr/share/icons. I don't know what is bad.

2.) Apps which have no icon are minimized only to their name. Is it 
possible to assign them some standard icon ?

3.) The icon placement on the workspace is very random without grid, I 
would like to have it on some grid but don't know how. The best way is 
to define places for some apps ( for example nedit will place its icons 
to top left corner, xterm to top right etc). Furthermore icons are 
two-color only...

Is it possible to do it or not ?

Thank you in advance

Vaclav

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:35:03 +0100 (CET)

> It always looks into /usr/share/icons. I don't know what is bad.

Is it the 'system.fvwm2rc' file you have changed? And not the one in
root's home directory. (maybe a stupid question of me...)

> possible to assign them some standard icon ?

Yes, you can assign a standard icon with:
Style * some_icon.xpm

this gives apps that don't supply icon the icon some_icon.xpm

> Is it possible to do it or not ?

Yes, by using the IconBox style
for example:
Style "*"	    IconBox $[vp.width]x80+0-0

defines a box at the bottom of the screen 80 pixels high and the screens
width to place icons in. The icons will be placed from left to right,
don't know how to change this. This box is not visible on the screen, it's
only an imaginary box used to place icons. This is probably what you want.

//Marcus

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:01:07 +0000

> > I use fvwm2 from RH6.2 and met following config problems:

This is 2.2.4 then. Consider upgrading using our rpms.
The answers here are by default for 2.4.x versions, not 2.2.x.

> only an imaginary box used to place icons. This is probably what you want.

The geometry-like syntax is only supported in 2.4.1 and greater.
This is more universal:

  Style nedit IconBox 10 10 300 300, IconGrid 64 10, IconFill Bottom Right
  Style xterm IconBox -400 -400 300 300, IconGrid 40 40, IconFill Left Top

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:17:38 -0500

> The answers here are by default for 2.4.x versions, not 2.2.x.

Agreed, its hard for us to sort out when features appeared.

>   Style xterm IconBox -400 -400 300 300, IconGrid 40 40, IconFill Left Top

The older (non-geometry) syntax can do more.

The geometry syntax is valid in 2.2 and sometime before.
The variable came much later (than 2.2) I believe.

In current releases you won't see the random placement effect either
as there is a built in default box that covers the screen.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:33:43 +1100

On 19:04 17 Jan 2002, Vaclav Peroutka <[email-masked]> wrote:
| 1.) when I use my own icons in /usr/local/my_icons - I put this line 
| into .fvwm2rc as IconPath. For root, it is OK, but not for normal user. 
| It always looks into /usr/share/icons. I don't know what is bad.

Is that directory and contents publicly readable?
-- 
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [email-masked]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Peeve: Just my luck.  I get included in women's fantasies, and they revolve
       around reading comic books.
		- Dave Cochran, <[email-masked]>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vaclav Peroutka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:54:26 +0100

Yes, of course. If I try 'find ./ "needed_icon"' it will find it.

The whole configuration is OK except this point.

I use /root/.fvwm2rc when I am root and this works OK.

I copied the same file into /home/vaclavp/.fvwm2rc and fvwm has the same 
look as I expected. But it wants icons only in /usr/share/icons however 
I specified another path.

Vaclav

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:58:55 +0000

> I specified another path.

[Can you please keep your answer after the question, i.e. quotes first]

I think RedHat has /usr/share/icons path built into fvwm2, so it is always
searched (last).

Now, it should be PixmapPath not IconPath for most of the icon needs.
But please don't use these obsolete commands, use ImagePath instead,
it is the only currently supported way, and it was backported to 2.2.3.

Other than this, you should solve this on your system. I would recheck
that you have read permissions for files in /usr/local/my_icons again.
You may also specify a full icon path just to see that it is not the
problem:

  Style * Icon /usr/local/my_icons/unknown.xpm

Regards,
Mikhael.