Subject: FVWM: combining old fv2m2 and new RedHat v7.2(enigma)

From: amw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:49:58 -0500

Hello-

I prefer fvwm2 about version 2.0 (typical with RH 5.2 thru RH 6.0). 
Also, I
prefer many features of RH 7.2.  So, I have been trying to comgine them.

I tried starting with a new installation (enigma) of RH7.2, removing
fvwm2 using
rpm, then installing the older fvwm2 using rpm, but I got conflicting
dependent
files.

I tried starting with a new installation (Manhattan) of RH5.2, and
adding
features I wanted from RH7.2 and got even worse snags.

Has anyone been down this path before and made better progress?

Art from ABR
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:28:21 -0500 (EST)

Okay, so I'll take a shot at this.

Why do you prefer fvwm2 about version 2.0?

It sounds as if what you are saying is that you like the "default"
fvwm2 setup present in RH 5.2 - 6.0.  If this is  the case, just install
the AnotherLevel package and the current version of fvwm2.  Everything
will probably work fine.  There may be one snag, some variables like
ImagePath and such have been changed, so you'll have to bring the
AnotherLevel package up to date, but that's not hard...

If this is not the case, just download a source rpm and build whatever
version you want.  Install it and so on...

Tom

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas A. Gardiner                Phone: (1) 716 - 273 - 2429
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy      Fax: (1) 716 - 273 - 1014
Univ. of Rochester                [email-masked]
Rochester, NY 14627-0171          http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~gardiner/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: E Frank Ball <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:52:39 -0800

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:28:21PM -0500, Thomas A. Gardiner wrote:
} Okay, so I'll take a shot at this.
} 
} Why do you prefer fvwm2 about version 2.0?

One thing I liked better on fvwm2 version 2.2 over version 2.4 was when
I used the windowshade function it did not put the window border on the
bottom of the shaded window (titlebar) on the old version and it does on
the new version.  The new version is prettier, but the border on the
bottom just gets in the way too often.

-- 

   E Frank Ball                [email-masked]