Subject: Re: FVWM: Inline module config syntax ?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:31:22 +0100

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:04:28PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:                    
>   Thanks to everybody for putting up with my qustions so far.  I've           
> finally gotten to the point where the man pages make sense, and I'm           
> writing my own specs instead of blindly copying+pasting other peoples'        
> code.  I've made several modifications to FvwmButtons, and it's at the        
> end of this message with lines quoted by "> " to protect against              
> linewrap.  My problem is that I'm still not sure of the exact syntax to       
> use with the "Inline" Menu config group.  I've done a search of the           
> FVWMman page, and only found examples of DestroyModuleConfig.  What I'm       
> looking for is an explanation or more examples of the syntax in the           
> statement where FvwmPager is swallowed, below.                                
                                                                                
Actually, I think nobody quite understands what you're trying to                
configure.                                                                      
                                                                                
Fvwm consists of a core and a bunch of modules like FvwmButtons.                
The modules must be started from within fvwm but run as separate                
processes.  Each module has a name beginning with "Fvwm" and has                
its own man page (man FvwmButtons etc.).  Lines beginning with an               
asterisk '*' are not handled by fvwm itself but are sent to any                 
module with the proper name:                                                    
                                                                                
  *FvwmButtons: Geometry ...                                                    
                                                                                
is sent to modules with the name "FvwmButtons".                                 
                                                                                
  *Inline: foobar                                                               
                                                                                
is sent to modules with the name "Inline".  Since all modules                   
coming with fvwm begin with "Fvwm" this is either a module                      
written by someone else (you can even write a shell script as a                 
module) or it is a module using an alias.  Some of the modules                  
allow to be started with a different name, e.g. FvwmButtons:                    
                                                                                
  *OtherButtons: ...                                                            
  ...                                                                           
  Module FvwmButtons OtherButtons                                               
                                                                                
This way you can have multiple instances of the same module using               
different configuretions, but it still parses the options                       
described in the module's man page.                                             
                                                                                
Hope this helps.  If not, please rephrase what you are trying to                
do.                                                                             

> > KillModule FvwmButtons                                                      
> > DestroyModuleConfig FvwmButtons: *                                          
> > *FvwmButtons: Geometry 310x80-0-0                                           
> > *FvwmButtons: (Frame 0, Padding 0 0, Container(Rows 3 Columns 5 Frame 0 Padd
ing 0 0))                                                                       
> > *FvwmButtons: (3x1, Frame 0 Padding 1 1, Swallow(UseOld,NoHints,Respawn) "xc
lock" `Exec exec xclock -bg rgb:00/00/00 -fg rgb:B4/CD/CD -padding 5 -update 1 -
digital -font 7x13`)                                                            
> > *FvwmButtons: (2x3, Frame 0, Swallow(UseOld,NoHints) "Inline" "Module FvwmPa
ger  Inline 0 0")                                                               
> > *FvwmButtons: (3x2, Frame 0, Swallow(UseOld,NoHints,Respawn) "xload" `Exec e
xec xload -bg rgb:7A/8B/8B -fg rgb:00/00/00 -update 5 -nolabel`)                
> > *FvwmButtons: (End)                                                         
> >                                                                             
> > DestroyModuleConfig Inline: *                                               
> > *Inline: Balloons                                                           
> > *Inline: Font none                                                          
> > *Inline: Rows 1                                                             
> > *Inline: Columns 1                                                          
> >                                                                             
> > Style FvwmButtons NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 1                         
> >                                                                             
> > Module FvwmButtons                                                          

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:20:52 -0500

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 08:31:22PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote

> described in the module's man page.

  Let's see if I understand this.  The directive...

> *FvwmButtons: (2x3, Frame 0, Swallow(UseOld,NoHints) "Inline" "Module FvwmPager Inline 0 0")                                                               

  Starts up an instance of Fvwmpager, using alias name "Inline", and
then swallows it.  So the following lines...

> DestroyModuleConfig Inline: *

 ...are actually referring to that instance of FvwmPager.  Sounds logical.
Thanks for the explanation.  The linkage wasn't obvious to me, which is
why I asked that question.  Your answer got me to search for the word
"alias" in the fvwm2 man page, which gave the necessary details.

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would
have $1.30.  If you had purchased $1000 of beer in 1999, today you
would still have $59 in empty cans.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].