Subject: FVWM: Probable a stupid question

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:01:33 +0100 (CET)

My has become a clock whenever I move in over my root window.
Have anyone seen anything like this? Can it be a normal program that did
this? (I don't use Gnome panels or a filemanager such as gmc or nautilus
that draw in the root).

Restarting fvwm2 doesn't do any difference, so it's probably not fvwm's
fault.

And it's possible to use root menus, when opening them the pointer turns
normal, and goes back to a clock after the menu goes away.

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:17:19 -0500

> normal, and goes back to a clock after the menu goes away.

Fvwm can do this along with a bunch of other programs.

If Fvwm thinks its waiting for something you might see this.
Look at EscapeFunc in the man page.

Also see CursorStyle ROOT.

I like to use xaniroc.  This makes the root cursor animated
(and very easy to find).

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:11:01 +0100

> Fvwm can do this along with a bunch of other programs.

If it's fvwm, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Escape should help (this tells
fvwm not to wait any longer for certain events).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:01:50 +0100 (CET)

> fvwm not to wait any longer for certain events).

Well, I guess it isn't fvwm, because this doesn't help. Very weird, I just
can't find the problem, it's driving me nuts... guess I'll have to log
out...

//Marcus

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:12:22 +0000

> can't find the problem, it's driving me nuts... guess I'll have to log

In shell, execute "xsetroot -cursor_name right_ptr -fg green -bg darkred"
wait some time to verify that no program in background changes the root
pointer that should be green. Then restart FVWM.

If the pointer is black-on-white clock again, this is likely to be an FVWM
issue, press Ctrl-Alt-Esc to break some Wait in your config. If this does
not help, you may just defined clock cursor for ROOT context, just define
another cursor using "CursorStyle ROOT hand2 red navy".

Report results.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:59:07 +0100 (CET)

> another cursor using "CursorStyle ROOT hand2 red navy".

I will try this when I get home. Thanks.

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:24:47 +0100 (CET)

> another cursor using "CursorStyle ROOT hand2 red navy".

I did this. And it works. So now the pinter is back to normal.
Must have been some program that changed it and then crashed...

It's probably a good idea to set the pointer to it's default in the init,
so that that a restart fixes stuff like this.

//Marcus

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:38:38 +0100 (CET)

I found the problem.

Yesterday I was playing with Xnest and different WM's. I was going to
start xfce and ran 'startxfce' in the same shell as I started Xnest. but I
forgot to set DISPLAY, so xfwm complained and exited. Now I tried this
again, and it gives a clock pointer.

So this is a bug in xfwm...
Will report this to the xfce crew...

//Marcus