Subject: FVWM: Weirdness with keybindings

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:11:39 +0100 (CET)

I tried to bind "Windows menu key" (the one left of right ctrl) to bring
up WindowList, by this line:

Key Multi_key	A	N	WindowList

This binds both that key and "." to this action. But according to xev
these have differnt mappings:

keysym=0xff20 Multi_key , for the menu key and
keysym=0x2e period	, for "."

Also if I bind the WindowList to Alt+F2 by:

Key F2		 A	 M	 WindowList

as soon as I release the keys, the focus snaps to first window in the
list (it gets selected). With te binding above the list stayed open with
pointer over the first entry so that arrows could be used to navigate.
If I keep Alt and F2 pressed and use arrow keys to navigate, the cursor
jumps between the first entry for each desk.

Does anyone know why this happens

This is with fvwm2 2.4.3 (compiled with enable-multibyte, if that
matters) and Xfree86 4.0.3 running on Linux 2.4.2 (redhat 7.1).

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:50:19 +0000

> keysym=0x2e period	, for "."

Probably there are some conflicts in your mapping, try "xmodmap -pk".
The conflicts may be resolved using xmodmap command placed in ~/.xinitrc.

More or less standard names for these windows keys are "Super_L",
"Super_R" and "Menu". I think this is what RedHat (your distributor) uses.
Did you define "Multi_key" keysym yourself?

> pointer over the first entry so that arrows could be used to navigate.

By default, releasing left Alt closes WindowList.
Either use right Alt not left or add an empty SelectOnRelease option, like:

  WindowList Root c c NoDeskSort, SelectOnRelease

> jumps between the first entry for each desk.

With Alt pressed you may use Tab and Shift-Tab to navigate window entries.
In menus Alt with arrows jumps to the next menu section.

Regards,
Mikhael.