Subject: FVWM: Howto execute a apllication maximized and how the hell can I move windows over my virtual screen && where the hell is 2.4.4 (it is not on the ftp but announced on the page && the links are also broken)

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:44:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi out there,
I have a problem to resize or move windows within my virtual desktops, I
tried many sthing, read the man page but I am unable to solve the problem.

Is there a way to execute an application maximized?

Is there an way that fvwm does not load ConfigFvwmDefaults?
or do I have to delete that file?

Where is fvwm 2.4.4 - it is announced at the web page, but the links to
2.4.4 are broken and it is not at the ftp server?!

At the momement I am using fvwm2.4.3 with ConfigFvwmDefaults deleted and the
config file you can find under
http://wwwcip.cip.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/fvwm2rc
.

Thank you in advance incredable much for your effort.

Greetings from Erlangen, Germany.

Please reply directly to me because I am _NOT_ on the list.

--
Thomas Glanzmann
Rathsbergerstrasse 28 D-91054 Erlangen / Burgberg

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:06:15 -0500

> tried many sthing, read the man page but I am unable to solve the problem.

I guess by virtual desktop, you mean FvwmPager?
It doesn't matter, I don't know how to do that.

> Is there a way to execute an application maximized?

Usually, an application will accept the "-iconic" flag,
as in:

Key N A SC Exec /local/netscape-4.79/.arch.os/bin/netscape -iconic

There is also the "StartIconic" style.

> or do I have to delete that file?

It will always attempt to load the default config file.

> 2.4.4 are broken and it is not at the ftp server?!

It was released a couple of hours ago, wait a little while.
I seemed to be able to download it, perhaps you should reload
the page.

> http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/fvwm2rc

You have part of ConfigFvwmDefaults in your .fvwm2rc.
It should work in some fashion like this, but I wouldn't
recommend it.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:15:10 +0100 (CET)

> It doesn't matter, I don't know how to do that.

Nope, not that way. I have 16 Virtual Screens. Now the thing I want to do is
to move a Window (like an xterm or so) from on Virtual screen to the other
virtual screen via my mouse. But When I try to move my mouse over to the
right or so, the mouse stops. There is a way ... i know it because i used it
some time ago, but I don't know how. It does not work with EdgeScroll 100
100 with EdgeResistanze 10000 1 and so on. I do _not_ know why.

> Key N A SC Exec /local/netscape-4.79/.arch.os/bin/netscape -iconic
It does not work that way ;( but I keep trying.
> It should work in some fashion like this, but I wouldn't
I did because I thought that this file did what i didnt want. But it does
actually what I want ... so I will restore the file.

Thank you for your fast answer and your help rearding fvwm ;)

Thomas

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:25:43 +0000

> 100 with EdgeResistanze 10000 1 and so on. I do _not_ know why.

I have no problem to drag windows across virtual pages with your linked
config. Of course, "EdgeResistance 10000 1" disables moving just like the
man pages says, and with "EdgeResistance 100 100" you should drag mouse
for 100 pixels (second argument) for a window to jump to another page.
But "EdgeResistance 500 10" or your "EdgeResistance 0 0" work ok.

Do you still have a problem?

> > There is also the "StartIconic" style.

Well, Dan suggested two ways to start application iconified.
To start it maximized you may use FAQ #3.18.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:31:47 +0100 (CET)

Thank you for your help, but I have still the same moving problem ;(
I try to recompile fvwm and if it fails again I will tell you.

---

From: Thomas Glanzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:14:52 +0100 (CET)

Hi out there,
I habe _still_ problems to move my windows from one virtual screen to
another.

Maybe somebody could send me a working fvmw2rc. I recompiled fvwm-2.4.4
(newest version) and tried it again ... and it won't work.

Greetings Thomas,

PS: With what version of fvwm did you tried my .fvwm2rc?