Subject: FVWM: Submenu possiblities

From: Charles Edstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:46:04 -0800 (PST)

After reading the man pages and I did a search on the archives but did not
find what I was looking for so maybe someone can suggest something.

I have a device attached that takes on and off commands. The only
difference is one small parameter that would change, otherwise the rest of
the command is the same. I want to setup a menu with a submenu that
contains just on and off as the options. But from the main menu it would
take several options. Heres an example

Living Room
Bed Room
Computer Room

Then I would like to pass one parameter to a submenu where it would give
me the on or off option.  I would like to do something like 'popup
switchdevice [deviceid]' for each of the items above. Then the
switchdevice menu would have two items as I described. I hope I made
sense. 

I looked at the two options, missingpopupmenu and dynamicpopupmenu but
neither seems simple enough for my need. So any ideas would help. Thanks.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of
your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:00:07 -0500

> neither seems simple enough for my need. So any ideas would help. Thanks.

I don't understand at all, so I can only offer this general advice.

You get the most flexibility out of FVWM by using PipeRead.
PipeRead invokes a shell and the output is used as FVWM commands.

The shell can do things like echo the commands to destroy the
menu, redefine it, and then pop it up.

There are some good examples in the utils directory and the FAQ.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Charles Edstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:54:40 -0800 (PST)

> There are some good examples in the utils directory and the FAQ.

After thinking about your suggestion, I understand what you mean that
piperead can allow me to do the same thing by creating the menu on the
fly. I will do some study of piperead, Thank you.