Subject: FVWM: Re: fvwm2 instead of kde

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:06:07 -0600

"Ian Truelsen" <[email-masked]> writes:
>Glen Lee Edwards writes: 
>
>> Robert Storey writes:
>>>XFCE is also on the Redhat Powertools CD as an RPM file. It works
>>>really well - speed is similar to FVWM2 but it's just so much more
>>>aesthetic. 
>> 
>> Fvwm2 is a user-definable window manager.  You create the look.  The
>> out-of-the-box look is rather bland, but if you have the time and interest you
>> can make it do what you want and look the way you want. I have some screen shots
>> and current configuration files you can view at: 
>> 
>> http://members.fcwm.org/glen/fvwm 
>> 
>I must say that I am impressed with what I see on your sight, but do you 
>have any idea of how well it supports multiheaded displays with xinerama? 

Ian, I have no personal experience with multiheaded displays, so I'm not really
qualified to answer the question.  This is from "man fvwm2":

  Fvwm supports the Xinerama extension of newer X servers which is similar to
  multi head sup port (multiple screens) but allows to move windows between
  screens.  If Xinerama support has been compiled into fvwm, it is used whenever
  fvwm runs on an X server that supports and uses multiple screens via Xinerama.
  Without this option, the whole desktop is treated as one big screen.  For
  example, menus might pop up right between two screens.  The EdgeResis tance
  command allows to specify an explicit resistance value for moving windows over
  the screen edge between two Xinerama screens.  Xinerama support can be enabled
  or disabled on the fly or from the configuration file with the Xinerama
  command.  Many modules and com mands work nicely with Xinerama displays.

I cross posted this letter to the fvwm list - maybe someone who is using it will
respond to you personally.

Glen
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].