Subject: FVWM: Do Java (Sun's JDK 1.3/1.4) and FVWM work together?

From: Daniel Barclay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:39:02 -0500

Are there known problems in the interaction between Java and FVWM?

I'm using Sun's J2SDK 1.3 and 1.4 and FVWM 2.2.4 as packaged in the 
potato release of Debian GNU/Linux, with only a few customizations
that seem relevant:
  Emulate Mwm
  Style "*" RandomPlacement
  Style "*" SmartPlacement
  DeskTopSize 2x2
  EdgeResistance 250 0

I get various symptoms such as:

- Windows have showed up with zero size (only the side and corner WM 
  decoration appears).  Some windows I could resize.  One I couldn't 
  (probably because of the application, but it appeared at a normal
  size when I tried switching my window manager to TWM).

- A window showed up almost the size of the whole desk (2 by 2 pages)
  (as if the application tried to create an almost-full-screen window
  but got the overall desk size instead of the page size).

  However, when I tried to shrink that window by dragging the upper left 
  corner, the window jumped from the current (upper left) page to one of 
  the other pages and shrank to its apparent intended size (much less 
  than a whole page).

- A window showed up with zero height but normal width (the size, corner,
  and title-bar decoration appeared).

- A window that was resized programmatically jumped to the (0,0) position,
  jumped up and left 10 or 20 pixels, or jumped up and left enough to
  disappear from the current page.

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms?

(Yes, I should try upgrading to the current version of FVWM, but I'd
like to know if these problems have been seen before, or if anyone
knows whether the problem is with FVWM or with Sun's Java.)

Thanks,
Daniel
-- 
Daniel Barclay
[email-masked]
http://daniel.barclay.org/resume
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:29:23 -0500

> Is anyone familiar with these symptoms?

We've had a number of problems with FVWM and Java.
If you search Sun's Java bug database for FVWM, you'll see the ones
we know about.

The problem is that Java tries to detect the window manager its running
under and when it finds that its not running under one it knows about,
it misbehaves.

We've heard that most of these problems should be fixed under Java 1.4,
but I haven't tested with 1.4 yet.

A recent version of FVWM with:

BugOpts ModalityIsEvil

in your .fvwm2rc may work better.

We'd be interested in any results you can report.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].