Subject: FVWM: RFE focus

From: Robert Forsman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:16:30 -0500

I was trying to assemble a config for FVWM2 which emulates my old VTWM
config.

  I was delighted to discover the icon manager (FvwmIconMan).  However, I
was disappointed with the behavior of 

*FvwmIconMan*action      Select  sendcommand Focus

  It would flip from desktop to desktop depending on which window I had
selected.  This is bad.

  One of my main uses for the icon manager was to select an off-screen
window into which I would type commands.

  For example, I am on a page with no Netscape.  I would move my mouse over
the word Netscape in my icon manager and hit Alt-N.  Netscape would then
spawn a new window on the current desktop.

  I've been faking it with button 2 in the pager.  How can I make the icon
manager work like that?

  Anyway, if anyone can tell me how to get my old focus-without-changing-
pages behavior, I'd be happy.  If not, just keep it in mind when you're
short of new features to implement.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:13:14 +0100

> spawn a new window on the current desktop.

  AddToFunc ToggleWindow
  + I None (currentpage $$0) $$1
  + I Next (currentpage visible $$0) Close
  + I Next ($$0) Raise

  ToggleWindow "Navigator" "exec netscape"

Call the ToggleWindow Function with the window name (or class or
...) as the first argument and with the command to start a new one
as the second argument.

> short of new features to implement.

Use the "NoWarp" option of the Focus command:

  *FvwmIconMan*action Select sendcommand Focus NoWarp

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].