Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 and gnome panel

From: Mark Allan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 15:16:23 -0800

We're in the process of upgrading to RedHat7.2 here, and I'm having an
odd problem running the gnome panel with fvwm2. 

 As soon as I start panel, GUI updates become extremely slow. After
resizing a window, there is a pause of about a second before the window
border and application redraw. If I move a window that was covering
another window out of the way, it takes about a second for the uncovered
portion of the window border to be redrawn. If I kill panel, everything
acts normally. This behavior was present when starting panel from an
FVWM session, as well as using FVWM2 as the window manager in a gnome
session. 

 In addition, I get these occasional messages printed to the X log:
Message: resetting focus according to XGetInputFocus() for 25166128
I don't get these messages when running Sawfish under GNOME, or running
FVWM2 without panel running. 

 Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been using the same FVWM2/panel
setup for ages now, and it worked perfectly on RH6.2 and Mdk7.1. I don't
want to give it up!

 Please send responses to [email-masked], because I'm not
subscribed to the list.

Thanks, 
Mark
------------------------------------------------------------
Mark B. Allan                   NASA Ames Research Center
QSS Group, Inc.                 Neuro-Engineering Lab
650 - 604 - 0537 (office)       Mail Stop 269-2
650 - 604 - 0461 (lab)          Moffett Field, CA 94035
650 - 604 - 3594 (fax)          [email-masked]
http://ic.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/ne/ehs.html
------------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:19:56 +0100

> setup for ages now, and it worked perfectly on RH6.2 and Mdk7.1. I don't

First of all, try to find out which application uses all the CPU,
e.g. with 'top'.  Next, I'd ask the GNOME developers if they can
make sense of the message you get (it's not an fvwm message).

>  Please send responses to [email-masked], because I'm not

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:14:33 +0100

> setup for ages now, and it worked perfectly on RH6.2 and Mdk7.1. I don't

Compile your Fvwm with Gnome Hints support. If it doesn't, the tasklist
in the panel will traverse the X windows tree looking where all the
windows are every now and then, with the X server grabbed to avoid
infinite loops. It should pop up a message complaining that you're not
running a Gnome compliant WM and that it will be slow.. doesn't it for
you?

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Allan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:56:31 -0800

> make sense of the message you get (it's not an fvwm message).

 The weird thing is, nothing is hammering the CPU. I've tried it on a
couple of dual processor machines and a laptop, and on all machines CPU
use is idle, until I resize the windows. Then, X will jump up to 11-20%,
and panel jumps up to 5-12%.

 Oh, well. I guess I'll just give up on using panel.

Cheers,
Mark

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 01:05:04 +0100

>  Oh, well. I guess I'll just give up on using panel.

It's not slow because something is hogging the CPU, it's slow because
the tasklist and/or pager is grabbing X for a short period of time
every now and then.

Compile Fvwm with Gnome hints.. They changed the logic to "scan" the
desktop from deskguide+tasklist to being in the panel and
deskguide+tasklist asking the panel, so unfortunately it no longer helps
to just remove the deskguide+tasklist ..

/Tomas

---

From: Mark Allan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:51:25 -0800

> to just remove the deskguide+tasklist ..

Argh! That would explain things. Thanks. The panel still acts like it
did before - it only warns about a non-Gnome aware window manager when
the tasklist is in the panel (and removing the tasklist is always the
first thing I do. The primary reason I use FVWM is that I hate tasklists
- I much prefer to have my minimized apps on the desktop). 

 RH7.2 shipped w/ 2.2.5 - AFAIK, this version didn't have gnome-hints
support. I'll try out 2.4.3 and see how it goes. 

Thanks for the tip,
Mark