Subject: FVWM: best way to install fvwm for one user only?

From: amw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:23:58 -0500

Hello-

I notice as I move to laer versions of RedHat (I'm now
using RH7.2-enigma), that you get KDE or Gnome options
primarily with less and less ability to shift back to
FVWM.

Can anyone tell me the best way to edit a script so my
user account will always use FVWM when I type startx?

I am sysadmin and can use root privileges.  It's just 
that the other users prefer to continue using KDE.

Art from ABR
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:37:50 -0800 (PST)

> primarily with less and less ability to shift back to

I just upgraded from RedHate 6.2 to 7.2 and noticed this as well.
Even though I didn't select Gnome, it installed the bloated thing anyway.
<OT>
Good thing, too, since all the usual Lazy Admin config tools I was used to
using only seem to be available in the Gnome menus and RedHate's docs
doesn't see fit to mention them by command line option...Grrr.
</OT>

> user account will always use FVWM when I type startx?

You can either use RedHate's switchdesk tool, or put the line "fvwm2" in
your .xinitrc (at least, that's what works for me).

> that the other users prefer to continue using KDE.

The root user on my box is using Gnome+Enlightenment and I'm still using
just fvwm2 for my desktop.
On the plus side, X seems to be running faster.  I think I managed to get
my XFree86 upgrade working right.
On the negative side, I have some FvwmButtons stuck in depressed mode
again.  :(
Still tweakin' ...
								-Tenebrae.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:38:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I believe that if you have a .xsession file, all of RedHat's scripts
execute that file allowing you to start fvwm2 directly.

Tom

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas A. Gardiner                Phone: (1) 716 - 273 - 2429
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy      Fax: (1) 716 - 273 - 1014
Univ. of Rochester                [email-masked]
Rochester, NY 14627-0171          http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~gardiner/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
--------------------------------------------------------------------------