Subject: FVWM: Fixed

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:23:34 GMT

Hi again Dominik,

Thanks again for your help. Drawing upon it and looking around 
a bit I figured this out:

AddToFunc "StartFunction"
+	I GotoPage 0 0

And, that does exactly what I want: the desktop always starts
and restarts in Viewport 0 0. 

I haven't had the problem recently where telnet forces caps
on me - and anyway fvwm restart doesn't reset the lock.

I was way off in my understanding of geometry management. In 
fact, what I was complaining about works fine: I just didn't 
interpret my own MSwindows desktop settings correctly.

I have a new problem to raise. I wrote an application with a
small window which is used to popup other windows: usually
Motif XmSearchbox or XmBillboard dialogs.  These popups put 
themselves right on top of the original window rather than 
at the x,y coordinates specified in the application's default
file for the dialog.

Based on the discussions and assistance which I have benefitted
from here, and which is greatly appreciated, I think this is 
a problem with XFree86 and not lesstif or fvwm. If there is
a contrary opinion, please let me know.

A Manifesto.

I have great hope for this line of software - XFree86,
lesstif, fvwm2, and freetds - will take over as a transparent
replacement for sun whose business I see being gobbled up from
above by IBM and from below by Microsoft. 

I think the current move to client-side Java is justified 
primarily by the argument that it is platform independent.
I see this argument as not well grounded because 1. Microsoft
has terminated its agreement to support Java after 2006, 
2. Microsoft would have avoided some of its antitrust problem
if it had never gotten involved with Java, and 3. Microsoft's 
desktop OS supremecy is threatened by Java 

On the other hand, XFree86 makes Xwindows code platform
independent now and without a termination date. And, as 
compiled rather than interpreted code, it runs faster. I 
know of people who say java is slow running head to head 
against sun Xwindows applications.

And, of course, I have several years experience as an xwindows
motif developer and would like to see X survive so I can 
continue to use this expertise.

BTW, if you know of a business in the U.S. northeast which
believes in this line of thinking and is expanding its 
technology commitment, I would appreciate it if you would
let me know.

Thanks,

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:28:06 -0500

> a contrary opinion, please let me know.

Look at the man page where it discusses UseTransientPPosition.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:31:35 +0100

> at the x,y coordinates specified in the application's default

Try these style settings:

  Style * DontLowerTransient, DontRaiseTransient, DontStackTransientParent

and possibly one or both of

  Style * NoTransientPPosition

and

  Style * NoTransientUSPosition

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].