Subject: Re: FVWM: SECOND REQUEST: How to start in the same window

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:41:35 GMT

Hi Dominik Vogt,

Thank you very much for your reply to my question about 
the desktop and the current viewport. I appreciate it.

I am running fvwm-2.4.3: apparently I shouldn't be having
the problem but I definitely still do. It is particularly
aggravating because when I hit the "Restart fvwm" menu entry,
it always comes up in a different window and if I didn't 
know better, I would think I had lost all my windows when they 
are simply in a different viewport.

I just tried adding:

AddToFunc ExitFunction  I  GotoPage 0 0

It doesn't help on the Restart fvwm menu entry. Also, I just killed
fvwm using the "X" in the upper right corner of teh cygwin/xfree86 border
and restarted it and it didn't help there either.

It seems to me that fvwm's selection of the current 
viewport is random.

I notice a section 

AddToFunc "StartFunction" I Module FvwmButtons
I Module FvwmPager 0 0 

What do you think about trying to add it there?

I also tried putting this in startxwin.sh

	fvwm2 Restart --dont-preserve-state &

It had no affect as it made the fvwm2 command
unintelligible, and I added it as the last line in the .fvwm2rc
file also without any change in behavior.

*Restart --dont-preserve-state

Thanks for your help with the terminology. I think I had the
term desktop but wasn't confident you used Current Viewport
consistently.

THE REAL PROBLEM - isn't there always one under the presenting
problem - is that while in telnet probably after hitting a combination
of keystrokes I can't reconstruct THE WINDOW MANAGER WILL CONVERT
ALL MY KEYBOARD ENTRY TO UPPER CASE. This means that if I am
editing a file in vi, I can't quit the file because vi won't
accept :WQ.

The cure for this is to click on "Restart Fvwm" in the desktop
menu and then it will go back to lower case - which is why I 
think this is a bug in fvwm.

The presenting problem is my concern that if the help desk gets
a call for all caps, and then they tell the user to restart the
fvwm, that the user will go nuts because they will think they
have lost all their work when in fact only the current 
viewport will have changed.

I really appreciate your time and effort: fvwm is a good
product and has a lot of excellent virtues. I think if 
these couple of items could be cured, it might gain a much
wider audience.

Also, there is one other point. I have ported some sun xwindows
motif programs to XFree86 and lesstif. I am now running on a
pc with its display set to 1162 x 864  rather than the default
640x480.

This way every pc program comes up slightly smaller but 
unfortunately all the motif programs come up full size.

I think it would be wonderful if I could tell fvwm to 
scale all the motif or lesstif pixels to a different size or if fvwm
could just read this off the current pcwindows setting.

David

Just to point out the terminology:

  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+

The whole work area is called a "Desktop", and is divided into
"Pages" (3x3 in your case).  The visible portion of the desktop is
called "Current Viewport".  This usually - but not necessarily -
matches one of the pages.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:26:28 -0500

David <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> viewport will have changed.

I changed the subject line since I'm only addressing
one part of your question...

FVWM cannot control the case of characters typed in your telnet
window.

Whats happening is that you answered the userid/password prompt
in all upper case causing UNIX to think you are using a terminal
incapable of entering or seeing lowercase.

This is probably the result of you accidentally engaging the
caps lock key.

To fix the problem, you don't need to restart FVWM, simply restart
telnet.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:32:55 -0500

> could just read this off the current pcwindows setting.

I think you are overestimating the involvment of the window
manager.  Window managers wrap borders around windows
but they don't control the display of every pixel inside
the window.

With Motif applications you can usually set X-Resources
to cause Motif to use a different font depending on the screen
size.  Heres something I use in my X-resources for controlling
the Emacs window size:

#if ( HEIGHT == 900 )     /* Traditional Sparc */
Emacs.geometry: 81x55+0+0
#elif ( HEIGHT == 1024 )  /* Sparc 21 inch */
Emacs.geometry: 81x63+0+0
#elif ( HEIGHT == 768 )   /* Exceed in 1024x768 mode */
Emacs.geometry: 81x46+0+0
#elif ( HEIGHT == 1200 ) /* My home machine, 1600x1200 use side x side layout */
Emacs*xmh.geometry: 81x68+757+105
Emacs.geometry: 81x75
#else                     /* I have no idea... */
Emacs.geometry: 81x40+0+0
#endif

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:06:22 +0100

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:41:35PM +0000, David wrote:
> It doesn't help on the Restart fvwm menu entry.

Funyy.  It really should honour this.  Are you 100% sure that the
correct fvwm executable is restarted (is PATH set correctly?) and
the correct configuration file is used?

> Also, I just killed

Hm, now I'm really confused.  Perhaps I'd understand your problem
better if you sketch out the layout of your desktop with all the
relevant windows before and after a restart.  I guess you're
trying to tell us something cygwin specific, but I still don't get
the point.

> 	fvwm2 Restart --dont-preserve-state &

Restart isn't a command line option but a built in command.  Look
for "Restart" in your configuration file and replace it with
"Restart --dont-preserve-state".

> *Restart --dont-preserve-state

Luckily, you got the syntax wrong.  You have to remove the
asterisk for the command to have any effect.  But just putting
that command at the end of the config file puts fvwm into an
endless loop restarting again and again.

> term desktop but wasn't confident you used Current Viewport

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].