Subject: FVWM: question

From: SAMUEL TENON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:12:34 +0100 (CET)

Hello i'm working on fvwm2 but i don't know how to change background ...
In fact i would like to know whether it's possible to have Jpeg image on 
my desk

Please help me 
Thanks :)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:05:08 +0100 (CET)

> In fact i would like to know whether it's possible to have Jpeg image on 

There are 2 possibilities:

1. You set the background image in your .xsession script

add a line like 'xv -root -quit -viewonly picture.jpg'

This requires that you log in in such a way that your .xsession file i
executed (Xession in Gnome's login manager f.ex.)
Then you will also have to start the WM in this script (should be the last
thing started, WITHOUT &... like 'exec fvwm2'
Remember .xsession must have 'x' permission flag set...

2. Using FvwmBacker module

You can also use the background module to get different backgrounds on
different desks (and pages)

Then you will have to start this module from your .fvwm2rc
like so:

AddToFunc InitFunction    "I" Module FvwmButtons
+                         "I" Module FvwmBacker

AddToFunc RestartFunction "I" Module FvwmButtons
+                         "I" Module FvwmBacker

(I think it would work with just one function called 'StartFunction'
here...)

And later in your .fvwm2rc specify what FvwmBacker should do:

F.ex. I have like this (to set different images for each desk (0,1,2,3 I
have as symlinks so it's easy to change them...)
It's also possible to specify individual pages here (use 'man FvwmBacker'
for more info..)

*FvwmBacker: Command (Desk 0) Exec xv -root -quit -viewonly -rbg red
+noresetroot $HOME/.fvwm/backdrops/0
*FvwmBacker: Command (Desk 1) Exec xv -root -quit -viewonly -rbg red
+noresetroot $HOME/.fvwm/backdrops/1
*FvwmBacker: Command (Desk 2) Exec xv -root -quit -viewonly -rbg red
+noresetroot $HOME/.fvwm/backdrops/2
*FvwmBacker: Command (Desk 3) Exec xv -root -quit -viewonly -rbg red
+noresetroot $HOME/.fvwm/backdrops/3

//Marcus

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:02:31 -0500

> In fact i would like to know whether it's possible to have Jpeg image on 

See question 6.6 in the FVWM FAQ.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:08:41 +0100

>From the fvwm FAQ:

--------------------------------- snip -----------------------------------
6.6  How do I set the background with fvwm?

A: Setting the background image is not really part of the window
   manager.  If you are using one of the Linux distributions,
   most likely, some part of the distribution is setting the background
   for you.

   There is a program that comes with fvwm (xpmroot) which you can use
   to set the background to a pixmap.  Other programs like "xv", "xli",
   "xloadimage", and "display" are more robust, they can put most common
   image types on the root display.

   If you just want a static image on your background, you might invoke
   one of these programs from your .xsession or .xinitrc file.  You can
   also invoke one of these programs from the InitFunction in your
   .fvwm2rc.

   The fvwm module FvwmBacker can be used to change the background
   depending on the desk you are currently on.
--------------------------------- snip -----------------------------------

For jpeg, xv doe a decent job:

  $ xv -root -viewonly -quit foo.jpg

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: SAMUEL TENON <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:54:28 +0100

//Marcus

---

From: SAMUEL TENON <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:54:41 -0500