Subject: Re: FVWM: SECOND REQUEST: How to start in the same window

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:21:18 GMT

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply: I just downloaded vanilla fvwm about a 
month ago and I am using it with the vanilla .fvwmrc-sample2
and when it starts up I get a PAGER Setup with DeskTopSize 3 3 .

Each time I start up fvwm2, however, the active window is
different: sometimes is window 0 1, sometimes 0,2, some times 1, 1.

When I use other window managers, they always come up in the 
same desktop.

I am not knowingly using any kind of session manager: I just
am in the cygwin bash shell and type startxwin.sh which starts
fvwm2 in the script

I am sure someone who knows how to do this could say just
put "Desktop 0,0" in the .fvwm2rc file - but I can't find
it myself and now one helps me so far - with the exception o
you for which I am thankful.

Incidentally, it seems to me what where I was last time is
ignored in the selection of the startup desktop by the
window manager.

David

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:46:46 +0100

> month ago and I am using it with the vanilla .fvwmrc-sample2

Which version of fvwm do you have?  If its any other version but
2.4.x, please upgrade and see if the problem persists.  The were
some problems in earlier versions when restarting from any page
other than (0, 0), but these should be fixed in 2.4.x.  Usually,
fvwm should start on exactly the same page as the old fvwm was
on when you restarted.  If you'd like to always start on page
(0, 0), try restarting with

  Restart --dont-preserve-state

Or you may add

  AddToFunc ExitFunction
  + I GotoPage 0 0

to your config file (if the function already exists, just append
the second line to it).

> and when it starts up I get a PAGER Setup with DeskTopSize 3 3 .

Just to point out the terminology:

  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  |      |      |      |
  +------+------+------+

The whole work area is called a "Desktop", and is divided into
"Pages" (3x3 in your case).  The visible portion of the desktop is
called "Current Viewport".  This usually - but not necessarily -
matches one of the pages.

> you for which I am thankful.

The problem was that you used the terms window and desktop in a
completely different fashion than we are used to.  Therefore it
was difficult to understand what your problem actually is.

> ignored in the selection of the startup desktop by the

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].