Subject: FVWM: Time for a change . . .

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:23:04 -0500

Hey  folks. Been  lurking quietly  and  simply enjoying  my old  fvwm2
config for quite some time now, but I think it's time for a change. To
my config, that is. I think hell will freeze solid before I give up my
wm! :) Right now, I'm using fvwm-2.4.0

Anyway, here it is. I'd like to  trim my desktop down and use a second
desktop. Only thing is,  I'd like to do it this way  - I'm picky, what
can I say?

I have been using a single Desktop with 2 rows of 4 pages. I'd like to
start using 2  desktops at 2x2. I'd  also like the pager  to show only
the current desktop.

I think this is done by calling Module FvwmPager * 2

The tricky thing  is how to I cycle  around just 2 (or if  I decide to
add one  later, 3)  desktops with  a single key?  ISTR a  few messages
going  around about  this  a short  while back,  but  I didn't  really
understand the conclusion - or rather how it applied to my hangup.

Thanks for the help.

Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc               [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:34:12 -0500

> I think this is done by calling Module FvwmPager * 2

Confirmed that this works.

> understand the conclusion - or rather how it applied to my hangup.
??  Still looking

One more  little thing. Is it  possible to define a  style for certain
apps so that some are sticky across desktops and others aren't?

Thanks again.

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until
drops of blood form on your forehead.
    -- Gene Fowler

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:22:18 +0100

> > understand the conclusion - or rather how it applied to my hangup.

  Gotodesk +1 0 1

> apps so that some are sticky across desktops and others aren't?

No, currently "stickiness" is global across all desks.  You might
be able to do something about that with FvwmEvent.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:27:41 -0500

> be able to do something about that with FvwmEvent.

Thanks Dominik (and Glen). Your suggestions have helped me get exactly
the desktop setup I need. I have  now put the Pause button to work for
a change,  to do  my scrolling  (ScrlLk locks my  screen, now  to find
something for the prtscn key to do :)

Now to get *really* picky :)
After thinking  about it a little  more, I realized that  what I would
really like is the ability to  make an app sticky across desktops, but
not within  a desktop.  For instance,  I start Mutt  in the  same page
usually, and I  like to keep it  there. I would like to  have it there
regardless of the desktop I move to.

I know I'm probably asking too much, but I thought I'd clarify just in
case someone has an idea.

Thanks again!
L

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:36:06 -0500

> case someone has an idea.

Are you looking for:

Style "mutt" StartsOnPage 0    1 0, SkipMapping
Style "mutt" ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:56:00 +0100

> case someone has an idea.

You can do something similar with a function, but you have to
modify the function for each window.  First start mutt in a window
with an appropriate window title, e.g.

  xterm -T mutt -e mutt

Then, use this function to switch desks:

  AddToFunc MyGotoDesk
  + I GotoDesk $*
  + I All (mutt) MoveToDesk

Then use

  MyGotoDesk +1 0 1

instead of GotoDesk everywhere.  This does not look very nice
since the mutt window is unmapped and then mapped again when
switching desks, but it works anyway.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:38:25 -0500

> Style "mutt" ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage

Partly.  This ensures  that mutt  starts in  the correct  page of  the
current desktop, but doesn't ensure that it is sticky to the same page
in  all  desktops. After  reading  the  manpage  again, I  found  that
ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage is  actually obsolete, and  has been
replaced with ManualPlacementHonorsStartsOnPage.

Thanks for the start.
L

Bones: "The man's DEAD, Jim!"

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:55:10 -0500

On 11/06/01 04:56 PM, Fvwm Users sat at the `puter and typed:
> > . . .

Hmm.  Looks like it, but I had to make a small mod to get it to work:

AddToFunc MyGotoDesk
+ I All (mutt) MoveToDesk $*
+ I GotoDesk $*

Not much, but  it appears MoveToDesk required at  least one parameter,
and  adding the  '$*' always  caused mutt  to be  moved to  the 'next'
desktop - so it  always went to the one I *wasn't* on.  So it was like
trying to get 2 magnets to meet on their repellant sides. This way, it
seems to send mutt on ahead  to the next desktop, and actually doesn't
appear to to too bad a job as far as timing, etc.

If I  decide to add  other desktops, and  maybe use another  hotkey to
scroll back the  other way (-1 0  2) then it should be  easy enough to
set up that binding with an analogous function.

Thanks!
Lou

Finagle's Second Law:
  Always keep a record of data -- it indicates you've been working.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:09:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 02:55:10PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> desktop - so it  always went to the one I *wasn't* on.

MoveToDesk without any parameter should move the window to the
current desk.  Therefore its important to switch desks first and
then issue MoveToDesk.  I don't know why it didn't work for you,
for me it does.  The advantage of a plain MoveToDesk is that is
also works if the application is on a different desktop for some
reason.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:37:50 -0500

> also works if the application is on a different desktop for some

Well, it seems to work now.  Musta been pilot error last time around
:)

Thanks Dominik.
Lou

Bipolar, adj.:
  Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska, and Buffalo, New York.