Subject: FVWM: dont' let fullscreen program eat all key events

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 02:35:15 -0800

I have a problem with vncviewer in fullscreen mode - the problem is
that it gets all the key events and none of fvwm key-bindings work. Is
there any way to make fvwm ALWAYS receive (and process) certain key
events? even though the vncviewer is in fullscreen mode I would like at
least virtual screen switching keys to work.

  as of now only ctrl-alt-fn and ctrl-alt-backspace work. I checked vnc
docs & faq but I found nothing but warning that fullscreen mode might
confuse some window managers.

  any ideas? TIA

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:58:58 -0500

> confuse some window managers.

I don't think its possible.
VNC sees the keys first, its up to VNC to decide which keys
to pass on.

If you can't change the VNC configuration to use different keys,
then you can change FVWM to use other keys of your choosing.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:03:14 -0800

> then you can change FVWM to use other keys of your choosing.

  actually I kinda screwed up, the problem is slightly different:

  the vncserver stays on top, no matter what I do, I cannot switch to
another virtual screen or to another program. However it never has
keyboard focus (the mouse works, keyboard does not have any effect).

  The only thing that keyboard does is bringing up the pop-up menus
(debian setup has alt-1 (everything: windows operations and app menu),
alt-f2 apps menu, alt-f4 window list etc.)

  I can even start new application using menu but the vncviewer is still
on top (I see nothing but vncviewer on the screen).

  I didn't try menu keyboard shortcuts before so I though that keyboard
doesn't work, but the actual problem is that vnc stays on top all the
time.

  there was this message on vnc mailing list about style lenience fixing
the problem of vnc not getting keyboard focus but it doesn't seem to
work. How do I find out whether I set up the Style correctly (that it's
applied)? I tried FvwmIdent, it does provide some info about window but
not information which styles are applied etc.

  for some reason I cannot even close or iconify the window using menu -
I bring up the menu, pick close, cursor changes to scary skull, I click
on vncviewer (there's nothing on the screen but fulscreen vncviewer so
I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it:-) but I just hear the beep, nothing
happens (similar with iconify).

  any advices? TIA

	erik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:46:16 -0500

> keyboard focus (the mouse works, keyboard does not have any effect).

Ok, I think I misunderstood what you are doing.

It sounds like VNC becomes an override-redirect window
when you put it in full screen mode.

I don't think you can do much about the keybindings,
but you can try using:

BugOpts RaiseOverUnmanaged True

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 04:13:11 -0800

> Ok, I think I misunderstood what you are doing.

  no wonder considering my original email was quite wrong about what's
going on, sorry,

> BugOpts RaiseOverUnmanaged True

  does not change anything (as far as I see), the vncviewer in
fullscreen mode still:

  - does not accept any key events (mouse works)
  - I cannot switch to any other application
  - I cannot switch to another virtual screen

  contrary to my original email the keyboard shortcuts for fvwm work (so
I can invoke menus), but it does not help me much because the only
window I see on top of vncviewer is fvwm popup menu (I can start a
program but it start under vncviewer, I can see it ojnce I kill
vncviewer from another vt)

  is there anything I can do? TIA.

  (I guess the possible solution is to not use vncviewer fullscreen mode
but simply let it have no decorations and make it the same size as
screen and voila, I have home-made fullscreen mode; but I would still
like to know what's going on and whether fvwm can make it behave)

	erik

---

From: Keith Kaple <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:48:42 -0500

I thought I remembered seeing something about keymapping in vnc being .Xresource configurable.  By default F8 gives you some bare options on a vnc window but this is changeable in .Xresources. 

Check out: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/xvncviewer.html 

Hope this helps.

K

-- 
------------------------------------------------
Keith Kaple                   |           |       	
919-392-5759                 |||         |||       
RTP, NC                     |||||       |||||    
Packet Telephony         .:|||||||:...:|||||||:.
------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].