Subject: FVWM: Maximizing icons

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:04:32 +0100 (CET)

Applying the funcion Maximize on icons have no affect.
Maybe this is intentional? I tried to mimic MWM/DTWM by assigning the
window menu to mouse button 3 used on icons.
Ofcourse it would be possible to define a function
"Iconify-and-Maximize" that does Iconify and Maximeze, since Iconify
Deiconifies icons (a lot of "icon" there ^_^)... 

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:39:53 +0100

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:04:32PM +0100, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> Maybe this is intentional?

Yess, it is.

> I tried to mimic MWM/DTWM by assigning the

Why would you want to maximize a window but leave it iconified?
If you absolutely can't live with the window popping up and down,
you could move the window to another desk, deiconify and
maximize it there, iconify it again and move it back to the
original desk.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:21:16 +0100 (CET)

> Why would you want to maximize a window but leave it iconified?

No, I wanted to be able to choose "Maximize" from the window menu on an
icon, and it would deiconify and maximize. But Maximize does nothing, so I
assigned a new menu for icons that replaces the maximize function with a
function that explicity deiconifies and maximizes.
So this works fine.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:47:34 +0100

> function that explicity deiconifies and maximizes.

You don't need a different menu for icons if you use a function:

  AddToFunc MyMaqwximize
  + I Iconify off
  + I Maximize

Iconify off does nothing if the window is not iconified.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:40:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

I want to achieve an afterstep-like effect:
When I click on a button (or the mouse is over the button) some other
buttons appear (like a Start button in WIN, but buttons). Is it
possible?

And what would you suggest, if I want a little area on my desktop for
1-key commands (eg. when I press x an xterm window appears)?
Root window is almost good, but what if I want to maximize a window,
there is no root window :(

+-[Kontra Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
| Email: CHANGED! [email-masked] [email-masked] (old)    |
| URL:   turul.eet.bme.hu/~kgergely    Mobile: (+36 20) 356 9656     |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:55:05 -0500

> there is no root window :(

FvwmButtons has slide out panels.  Look for "panel" in the man page.

As for the root window being covered, you could always change the
maximize function being used to cover less of the window. For example:

Maximize 100 -60p

Or, you could reserve one of your unused keyboard keys to activate
a menu regardless of context.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:11:38 -0800

> KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> > there is no root window :(
...
> a menu regardless of context.

  yes, that's IMO even better than having an area: win key available on
most pc keyboards is a good one for this. you can also use extra keys on
most keyboards (use xev to find out the keycode)

	erik

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:02:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

Thanx to Eric for the idea of using unused keys like WIN to popup a
menu.

But I'm still curious, if it is possible to bind keys to specific
window.

So is it possible to bind something to eg. inside xterm window, or xterm
titlebar or xterm button?

thx in advance

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:15:09 -0500

> titlebar or xterm button?

No, thats not possible now.

Theoretically, you could use FvwmEvent to monitor various windows
getting focus, and change keymapping as that happens, but I wouldn't
recommend it.

---

From: KONTRA Gergely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:41:49 +0100 (CET)

Thanx for previous answers!

I have more questions :)

- Some days ago, I asked how to maximize a window so, that my StaysOnTop
  taskbar doesn't cover my window (woooh... sorry for my English, but
  hope, that you know, what I mean). But I've realized, that the problem
  arises not only when maximizing, but window placement, and who knows
  where else. So my question again:
  Can't I tell fvwm, that do not use the area, where the taskbar is.
  So fvwm sholdn't move anything to that area. Let it be a
  "restricted" area. (ok, it's ok, that I can move a window to that
  place MANUALLY)

- In icewm there is a processor-usage monitor. I'd like to do a similar
  effect in fvwm. I've configured up xosview, and like it, but it would
  be nice, if FvwmTaskBar can swallow it. And of course when I click on
  it, an application (eg. top) should appear ;)

---

From: E Frank Ball <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:03:11 -0800

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 06:41:49PM +0100, KONTRA Gergely wrote:
} 
} - In icewm there is a processor-usage monitor. I'd like to do a similar
}   effect in fvwm. I've configured up xosview, and like it, but it would
}   be nice, if FvwmTaskBar can swallow it. And of course when I click on
}   it, an application (eg. top) should appear ;)

I have xosview in my fvwm control panel:

*FvwmButtons(3x3 Swallow(UseOld,NoHints,Respawn) "xosview" `Exec xosview`)

You can use the "Action" argument to make clicking on it do something.
See man FvwmButtons.

-- 

   E Frank Ball                [email-masked]