Subject: FVWM: gnome desk guide and fvwm desktops

From: "Riswick, J.G.A. van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:48:18 +0100

HI

When I use the 'desk guide' from the gnome panel, 
the contents of fvwm2 desktops is not displayed 
in the desk guide (mini windows) 
except for the contents of the current desk. 
Also, a desk is only displayed when there is actually
a window on the desk, otherwise not. 

Is there some way to set up fvwm (or the desk guide)
so that this works better? 

best regards 

jos
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:48:23 +0000

> so that this works better? 

desk-guide does not display WindowListSkip (Style) windows and I can't
find a way to force it to display them.

Regarding the dynamic number of desks, it may be called a feature of the
FVWM's gnome-hints support. FVWM itself does not have a limit on number of
desks, you may command "GotoDesk 0 1000000" without problems.

If you like to do something about this, here is a patch that makes
desk-guide to always show 4 desks and not to crash: in GNOME_SetDeskCount
of gnome.c add line "val = gnome_max_desk = 4;" before XChangeProperty();

Probably a better support for GNOME (version 2+) and KDE (version 2+)
pagers will be in fvwm-2.5.x with support for Enhanced WM Hints.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:21:00 -0500 (EST)

> so that this works better? 

Have you considered simply using FVWM's Pager instead of the GNOME one? 
You could have your .fvwm2rc launch an FvwmPager, and then have it 
swallowed into a GNOME Panel. I do this myself. Frankly, I don't 
understand why people use the Desk Guide... it has virtually 0 features. 
Namely, it doesn't have the one FVWM Pager feature I can't live without: 
dragging windows off a pager area and into the current page.
			-peace

-- 
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass