Subject: FVWM: temporary freeze related to gnome double-click?

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:42:53 -0800

this is quite strange, it happens with at least two gnome apps
(gnucash and freeamp):

  when I double-click on some item (item that is opened by
double-clicking) the application freezes for certain time and fvwm
freezes as well (focus doesn't changes, no window decoration or fvwm
modules react to mouse)

  I am not running gnome desktop, only some gnome applications.

  when using some other method to open the item (keyboard shortcuts,
rightclick and pick up 'open' from menu) there is no problem (no delay,
no freezing), the problem is only when I double-click. It happens with
e.g. account in gnucash.

  there is no problem with double-clicking in general

  there is no high load, the rest of the computer works fine (e.g. I can
switch to another virtual console and do something without any delays).

  any ideas about what's going on?

  system:

  debian unstable
  fvwm 2.4.0
  gnome: not sure, most of the gnome components are 1.4.0.x or 1.4.1.x

  TIA

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:35:52 -0500

> freezes as well (focus doesn't changes, no window decoration or fvwm

I'd guess the application is grabbing the xserver trying to
figure out if it has a single, double, or triple click.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:33:18 -0800

> figure out if it has a single, double, or triple click.

  is there any way to verify this?

  btw not everything stops: e.g. the root image was just changing (using
chbg, it has different effects so it takes some time to change image)
and it continued, IIRC xmms was still scrolling title etc. I can also
move the mouse and cursor changes appropriately (x for root window
etc.), I can also change to different vc (using ctrl-alt-fn)

	erik