Subject: FVWM: FvwmBacker questions

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:25:30 -0500

Hey all.  I just started  playing with  the FvwmBacker stuff.  Up 'til
now, I've been  just executing an xv command from  my InitFunction and
RestartFunction. I like  it for no good reason, and  I'd like to stick
with  it (also  for no  real good  reason). Anyway,  I just  added the
following to my ConfigFvwmBacker file:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmBacker: *
*FvwmBacker:  Command  (Desk  0)  exec  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv  -root  -rbg
'#664477'   -rfg   '#000000'   -rmode   6   -perfect   -dither   -quit
~/images/daddyandemma1.jpg
*FvwmBacker:  Command  (Desk  1)  exec  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv  -root  -rbg
'#664477'   -rfg   '#000000'   -rmode   6   -perfect   -dither   -quit
~/images/daddyandemma2.jpg
*FvwmBacker:  Command  (Desk  2,  Page  0  *)  exec  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv
-root -rbg  '#664477' -rfg '#000000'  -rmode 6 -perfect  -dither -quit
~/images/emma_door.jpg
*FvwmBacker:  Command  (Desk  2,  Page  1  *)  exec  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv
-root -rbg  '#664477' -rfg '#000000'  -rmode 6 -perfect  -dither -quit
~/images/creation.jpg
*FvwmBacker:  Command  (Desk  2,  Page  2  *)  exec  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv
-root -rbg  '#664477' -rfg '#000000'  -rmode 6 -perfect  -dither -quit
~/images/morninglight.jpg

Basically, for Desks 0  and 1, I have a single pic  for all pages. For
Desk 2, I have 3 pics, one for each column. It works fine so long as I
don't switch  pages horizontally  too quickly. Since  the morninglight
and creation images are much larger files than emmadoor.jpg, they take
longer to  dump onto  the root  window. So, when  I jump  quickly from
column  2  to column  0,  the  column  0  image loads  rather  quickly
(emmadoor.jpg),  but the  column 1  image loads  slower, and  since it
hasn't had a  chance to load while  I was jumping past,  it loads over
the image I really want up.

Strange.

Anyway, is  this something  anyone's run across  before? Any  ideas on
solving it?  For now, I've  just hacked  my pager down  to a 2x2  on 4
desks rather  than 3x2 on  3 desks. In the  process, I found  that the
same behavior  is displayed when  I jump  across desks too  quickly. I
wind up with the image indended for the desk I jumped over quickly.

Is the  xpmroot tool any  better at  loading these images?  What about
adding a  background fill  color? (I  suppose I  could do  without the
fancy starburst lines, but I'd like to keep the bg fill).

Thanks
Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc               [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking
about.
    -- John von Neumann

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:52:01 -0500

Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> fancy starburst lines, but I'd like to keep the bg fill).

I don't use  different images on each desk  but I've found "xli" to be
much faster than xv.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].