Subject: FVWM: 7 button mouse bindings

From: James Vernon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:07:00 +0000

Hi,

I'm using FVWM version 2.4.3 on an i386 running Redhat 7.1 installed 
from RPMs (fvwm-2.4.3-1ewmh_0.6.i586.rpm) downloaded from fvwm.org

My problem is that I can't get any mouse bindings working with buttons 6 
and 7 on my IntelliMouse Explorer. I think I've got the mouse working 
properly under X. If I run xev I can press buttons 6 and 7 and see the 
right events for the two buttons. In FvwmConsole if I type:

'Mouse 4 FST N RaiseLower'

everything works OK, but if I try the same thing with button 6 or 7 I 
get this error message:

'[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> Illegal mouse button in line 6 FST N 
RaiseLower'

This works in the version of FVWM distributed with Debian 2.2, which is 
version 2.2.4, although I don't know if Debian modify the source code at 
all.

Can anyone help me?

James

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:53:16 +0100

> version 2.2.4, although I don't know if Debian modify the source code at 

Debian must have patched the sources in 2.2.4.  As far as I can
remember, fvwm never supported more than 3 buttons in the past.
With 2.4.0, fvwm supports all five mouse buttons that X officially
supports.  To increase the number of buttons that fvwm can handle,
you have to modify the file libs/defaults.h:

Replace

  #define NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS		   5

with

  #define NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS		   7

and recompile and reinstall fvwm.  However, the buttons with
numbers >= 6 do not work as well as 1 to 5.  This is because X
does not provide the necessary interface to handle more that 5
buttons in all functions.  This means that some functionality is
not available with buttons 6 and higher.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:52:33 +0000

> remember, fvwm never supported more than 3 buttons in the past.

Just for information, the restriction on a mouse number was added in
2.3.24, before this (and even now with this check removed) click and
doubleclick of any mouse number worked/works well.

Regards,
Mikhael.