Subject: FVWM: Maximal size of a window without overlapping the taskbar

From: "Stefan Grund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:01:15 +0200

Hello,

I have a problem which I didn't solve after one day of testing 
different configurations in the fvwm95.rc  Perhaps somebody can 
give me a hint...

Is it possible to configure in the fvwm95rc the maximal size of a 
window that it can have without overlapping the TaskBar at the 
bottom of the desktop (like it is in Windows)? I have always the 
problem that Netscape hides the TaskBar (no AutoHide configured). 
If I try to make the windows of Netscape smaller (with the geometry-
flag), it reduces it's size always at the top, but never at the bottom, 
so that doesn't help me. And I don't manage to change the position 
of Netscape - it seems to ignore -geometry +0+0.

This configuration is for public use of computers in a library, and 
the users should see from the beginning that there is a taskbar, 
without the need to change the size of Netscape manually.

So the easiest way for me would be to say in the fvwm95rc "Make 
the window as big as possible without overlapping the TaskBar at the 
bottom". Is this possible? Or does anybody know why Netscape 
ignores the -geometry +0+0 argument?

Thank you very much for your help.

Bye

Stefan
--
Stefan Grund
Bibliothekszentrum Geisteswissenschaften
Team 1 (Fremdspr. Phil.)
Grueneburgplatz 1
60323 Frankfurt
Tel.: (0 69) 7 98 - 3 28 27  --  Fax: (0 69) 7 98 - 3 28 38
http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/bzg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 02:30:59 -0700

* Stefan Grund <[email-masked]> [18-Oct-01 09:04 -0700]:
  [...]
  >bottom of the desktop (like it is in Windows)? 
  [...]

i wonder if the same type of solution Dominik suggested for my
earlier question would work for you as well. there may very
well be much better ways of doing things, so you may want to
see what others have to say :)

# (screen height - 90 pixels) at top of the screen
AddToFunc MaximizeAtBottom
+ "I" Maximize $0 $1
+ "I" Move +0 +0
     
MaximizeAtBottom 100 -90p

that should basically maximize a window 100% horizontally,
and 100% - 90 pixels vertically, then move it to the upper
left hand corner. you could change 90 to be the width of the
taskbar.

2)

as i was looking through man fvwm2 for 2.4.3, i saw the
"grow" argument to the Maximize command. i did not play with
it, but it also sounds like it could do what you want. not
sure though..

denis

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].