Subject: FVWM: minimal installation

From: Cyprian Laskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:31:51 -0700

Hi, I'd like to install fvwm 2.4.3 on my school account, which is
limited to 12 MB.  At school we still have 2.0.45(!), which makes it
hard to exploit nice new features at home and then go to school and
use the same but different window manager!

Fortunately, I'm something of a minimalist as far as desktop clutter
goes, so all I really care about is something like bin/fvwm2,
bin/FvwmCommand, modules/FvwmPager, man/man1/fvwm2,
man/man1/FvwmCommand, man/man1/FvwmPager.  I have no problems
compiling because I can just do that in /tmp, but is it naive to
simply copy those 6 files into ~/fvwm or something and proceed merrily
on my way, or will I have strange and unexpected problems.  What would
be a clean way of firing this up?

Thanks,

cyp
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 17:52:44 -0400

> be a clean way of firing this up?

Just copying those files will give you a problem.

configuring with --prefix
and doing make install
will accomplish what you want.

If you are really tight on space, you could remove the modules
you don't want and their man pages after you are done.

One difference between 2.0.45 and 2.4.3 is that some stuff is
installed in <prefix>/share/...

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].