Subject: FVWM: FVWM, with other OS's

From: "Chaim Rieger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:44:19 -0400

unfortunatly my company does not have unix clients, and i have to work
on a windows desktop, usin a ssh client, 
does fvem work with windows, or if nt does anything else do

thank in advance c. rieger
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:57:13 -0400

> does fvem work with windows, or if nt does anything else do

To use FVWM, you need an X Server.

There are lots of X Servers that work with windows.

You can download Cygwin, and XFree 86.  FVWM will work with that.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:32:53 -0600

> You can download Cygwin, and XFree 86.  FVWM will work with that.

With that sort of setup, what happens to the native Windows desktop - Start
menu/Task bar, shortcut icons, etc.?  Is it all covered up a la
PowerPoint's slide show mode?

Gregg Dameron

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:45:20 -0400

> PowerPoint's slide show mode?

The last version of XFree 86 I downloaded worked inside a window.
Ie., the entire desktop is shown in 1 window.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:41:03 -0700

> PowerPoint's slide show mode?

  depends on X server, following modes of operation are often supported:

  X windows are native windows, managed as native windows (they have the
same title/borders etc as native ms win programs)

  X windows are regular windows, managed by X window manager (local or
remote wm)

  X desktop is created as a window or full screen, all X windows are
within this desktop windows, you have to use X wm to managhe windows,

  in case of fullscreen X desktop you can still use some windows
shortcuts (usually at least alt-tab and ctrl-esc), sometime you can make
taskbar visible.

  not all X servers support all modes...

	erik

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:09:14 -0600

>   not all X servers support all modes...

My experience with X servers is limited to the Unix world, so I'm in unfamiliar
territory here.  Suppose I wanted a "standardized" (fvwm-based) desktop for a
mixed network of Unix boxes and PCs (the latter running Win 2K).  On the PCs, I
would want a fullscreen X desktop.  I suspect I would need a way to get to the
native Win 2K taskbar without exiting the X server.

1.  Which Win-compatible X servers have people tried that fill this bill?  Any
positive experiences with one in particular?

2.  Am I correct in assuming that fvwm itself would have to be "served" from a
Unix box, e.g., with a "-display" argument?

Gregg Dameron

---

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:29:50 -0700

* Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]> [15-Oct-01 17:12 -0700]:
  [...]
  >My experience with X servers is limited to the Unix
  >world, so I'm in unfamiliar territory here.  Suppose I
  >wanted a "standardized" (fvwm-based) desktop for a mixed
  >network of Unix boxes and PCs (the latter running Win
  >2K).  On the PCs, I would want a fullscreen X desktop.  I
  >suspect I would need a way to get to the native Win 2K
  >taskbar without exiting the X server.
  >
  >1.  Which Win-compatible X servers have people tried that
  >fill this bill?  Any positive experiences with one in
  >particular?

dont remember how, but the cygwin server actually did allow
me to switch to windows desktop. i remember it being
painfully slow though. on the other hand, you should not
need to :)

  >2.  Am I correct in assuming that fvwm itself would have
  >to be "served" from a Unix box, e.g., with a "-display"
  >argument?

no. x server is running on the PC itself. this is exactly
where the fvwm is served from.

denis

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:00:58 -0700

> positive experiences with one in particular?

  I guess all of them, I only have experience with exceed, viewnow and
reflection (I am not sure about the name of the last one, it was long
time ago). Just run it fullscreen.

> Unix box, e.g., with a "-display" argument?

  it can run anywhere. AFAIK you can compile it on windows machine using
cygwin tools and run it locally or run it from some unix machine.

  another option is using vncserver on one of the unix machines and
vncviewer one windows machine. that way, if windows machine crashes you
don't care, just restart viewer. Or connect to the same X desktop from
different computers (that's what I use for telecommuting).

	erik

---

From: Charles Hines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:07:40 -0400

>>>>> "Chaim" == Chaim Rieger <[email-masked]> writes:

Chaim> unfortunatly my company does not have unix clients, and i have to work
Chaim> on a windows desktop, usin a ssh client, 

So sorry to hear that...I'd probably just make my desktop a dual boot Linux
box and do as much as I could outside of Windoze (using Wine and/or Windoze
under Plex86 when needed) but I understand if that might not be feasible...

Chaim> does fvem work with windows, or if nt does anything else do

Although the Cygwin/XFree86 solution suggested here previously would work, and
have some other beneficial side effects like having access to all of the nice
powerful UNIX command line tools, but there is another choice: LiteStep.  It's
a port of AfterStep (which was derived from fvwm) directly to Windoze as a
replacement for the normal desktop there.

I've only played with it a little, since I try and avoid Windoze as much as
possible, but some other people who I know that use it reported that their
system seemed to crash much less often while they were using it.  Thought that
was pretty funny... :)

The website I have bookmarked for it is here:

                           http://www.litestep.net/

but it appears to be down right now (also try .com instead of .net as I think
that is another site for it).  Try a Google search.  Actually, I just did one
and it looks like this is the new home:

                               http://ls2k.org/

also came up with this site as well:

                          http://www.desktopian.org/

that you might find interesting (looks like they have several other similar
projects pointed to from there).

Hope this helps.  

Chuck

-- 
Charles K. Hines   <[email-masked]>   <[email-masked]>
Principal Scientist at ReQuest Technologies Inc   (http://www.ReQuestTech.com/)

         "You tell him and I will smack you.  I will smack you like a
            bad bad donkey, okay!" - Pepe in 'Muppets From Space'

---

From: Richard Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:06:41 -0400

> projects pointed to from there).

I've been using a multi-desktop add-on* on my NT for some time anyway,
so when I use an XServer for NT, I just give it it's own desktop.  Works
quite well.
(* I've tried quite a few freeware and shareware solutions, and decided
I liked PerfectScreens best.  YMMV.)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].