Subject: FVWM: Binding keyboard Windows Menu key to Fvwm RootMenu

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:11:24 -0500 (CDT)

I believe that someone earlier had asked how to bind the Windows Menu key to
Fvwm's RootMenu.  I just set that up on my system, and this is what I did:

Add the following to both the 
AddToFunc InitFunction and AddToFunc RestartFunction

+                         "I" Exec exec xmodmap -e 'keycode 117 = Menu'

Then add in the following line with the section where you place your key bindings:

Key Menu         A       N       Menu RootMenu Nop

That should do it.  When you press the Menu button on your keyboard the root
menu will pop up under your mouse cursor.

Glen

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:29:29 +0000

> +                         "I" Exec exec xmodmap -e 'keycode 117 = Menu'

To avoid duplication, you may instead add this once to StartFunction.
In fact, in most of configurations all duplicated lines may be removed
from InitFunction, and RestartFunction may be renamed to StartFunction.

> menu will pop up under your mouse cursor.

This will not work for the first time FVWM is started, because Key command
is executed before xmodmap.

xmodmap and xset belong to X not FVWM, so it is best to put these commands
to .xinitrc (without exec). This guarantees that all changes to X are done
before FVWM is even started.

Another solution to this Menu key problem is, like it was suggested, to
specify the correct keyboard in X configuration, so Menu is mapped by X.

Regards,
Mikhael.