Subject: FVWM: Keyboard questions

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:47:56 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not real clear on exactly what question to ask or how to ask it (short
version), so here's the long version:
   I have a keyboard, don't see a brand name, model SK-6000 (made in China), that
has the Windows keys on it and one other key I've never seen before (upper right
hand corner, larger than the others, has a diamond shape arrow on it pointing
left).
   The windows keys kick out a keycode (125 - 127 on showkey, 115-117 on xev),
but the "diamond" key in the upper right hand doesn't.  xev and showkey -k don't
even register that it's been pressed.  showkey -m returns on keyevent: 

àhàè ( 0xe0 0x68 0xe0 0xe8 )

Running Red Hat Linux 7.0
1) What do I have to do to Red Hat so that the diamond key kicks out a keycode
and/or is usable/recognizable by the system?

2) I created my own file with keycode settings for the windows keys:

plain keycode 125 = F125
plain keycode 126 = F126
plain keycode 127 = F127
string F125 = "Win_L"
string F126 = "Win_R"
string F127 = "Menu"

They show in dumpkey, but only work from the console mode.  When I exit X and
press one of them, the key registers.  And it also shows in Emacs.  But when I
start X and try it, nothing registers, nor do they show in xev.  Does the X
window system have its own keycode bindings?  If so, where do I find them?  If
not, how do I fix this so that X based programs will recognize keyevents from
these keys?

Glen
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].