Subject: FVWM: trange initalisation problem.

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:00:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

I have a line: Style *           ResizeOpaque
in the beginning of my ~/.fvwm2rc, but it doesn't affect the behaviour
when starting fvwm2 when logging in, but when doing "restart fvwm2" from
the root menu this window behaviour gets in effect.
Why is this?

I attached a copy of the config file.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:22:10 -0400

> I attached a copy of the config file.

The config file looked OK, but we can't tell what command
is being used to start fvwm in the first place.  That seems to
be where the problem is.

Mention the version of fvwm, the OS, and the command that
starts fvwm.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 01:36:56 +0200 (CEST)

> is being used to start fvwm in the first place.  That seems to

I start it using gdm. I have added a session type named fvwm2 to gdm
and a file: /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/fvwm2 containing:

#!/bin/bash
# (c) 2001 Red Hat, Inc.

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2

> Mention the version of fvwm, the OS, and the command that

This is on a RedHat 7.1 system running Linux 2.4.2-2

I will try again and see if this still happens, it might have been
something weird. I'm just to tired to do it now... (too much stuff to save
and so on to log out...)

//Marcus

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:26:24 -0400 (EDT)

> something weird. I'm just to tired to do it now... (too much stuff to save

This is probably not related, but you know that there is a kernel update
for RH 7.1, right?

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/rh71-errata.html

I use RH 7.1 and fvwm2.2.4 with all of the updates and don't have any
problems.  One major difference, however, is that I simply start fvwm
using a .xsession file in my home directory.

There is also a more recent version of gdm on rufus 

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gdm-2.2.3.1-17.i386.html

which I'm finding fixes a number of other small problems with gdm...  You
might want to give it a try.  (There are a couple of other packages which
you will also have to install... )

Best of luck,

Tom

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:35:21 +0200 (CEST)

> you will also have to install... )

The strange is that I'm positive fvwm2 reads my ~/.fvwm2rc because I get
my custom pager, the correct colours the background is set (using
xsetbg) during startup and so on.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:11:05 -0400 (EDT)

Marcus, I don't doubt that fvwm2 is reading your .fvwm2rc file, but I'd be
willing to guess that the problem is not there.  If you put a simple
script like

#!/bin/bash
exec fvwm2 > ~/.Fvwm2-errors 2>&1 

in a file called .xsession in your home directory (with execute
permission) and log in through gdm without selecting any particular window
manager, then the .xsession script will be run, etc.

Do you still have the same problem when loging out?

Tom

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:00:17 +0200 (CEST)

> Do you still have the same problem when loging out?

I've tried my config at work.
But this is using 2.2.5, a college of mine has compiled it on his home
directory, and my quota doesn't allow me to do it myself right now. And
our sysadmin thinks CDE is good enough for us so...
So Resizeopaque isn't supporten in this version.

But what might be interesting is this:

[GetFontOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get font -adobe-helvetica-normal-r-*-
*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, trying 'fixed'[FVWM][ProcessNewStyle]:

It seems this font style is missing, and checking whith xfontsel indeed it
is missing.
And I ran xfontsel remote on my Linux system and it also seems to lack
this font style.
I'll try and switch it when I get home. I don't feel like trying to run
the hole wm remote (through cable modem...)

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:52:42 +0200 (CEST)

> Do you still have the same problem when loging out?

I found the problem: /usr/X11/bin/fvwm2 is executed by gdm, this was not
updated when I installed 2.4.0.
So therefore when restarting it uses the correct binary (apparently).

I assumed this would get updated when I did rpm -U fvwm-2.4.0-rh7.rpm
But apparently it didn't.