Subject: FVWM: system.fvwm2rc

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:00:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hello!

It seems since I upgraded to 2.4.0 my
"/etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc" isn't read when starting fvwm2.
I installed the RH7 .rpm package of fvwm2. After installing the new
version the appearance of the WM had changed but the old config file was
unchanged. However copying the system config (old one) to ~/.fvwm2rc gave
back the old look.
I would like to be able to change the global settings for all users.

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:59:11 -0700

> I would like to be able to change the global settings for all users.

  I noticed that there is some change in how the new fvwm looks for
startup files. I have found that after upgrading the fvwm read the
~/.fvwm/fvwm2rc (or something like that, I don't remember exact name but
it was in ~/.fvwm directory). The older version (2.2) ignored this
files. As soon as I deleted the file in ~/.fvwm the system one was read.

  NOTE: this was on debian system so it might not apply to you (the
binary debian package might have changed the defaults, not the fvwm
2.4).

  anyway, the moral of the story is: try to run strace on fvwm and you
will see which files it reads (tries to read), so if it reads some
non-obvious files you will find it in strace output.

	erik