Subject: FVWM: [themes] can't open DISPLAY

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:06:28 +0000

Hi, so its weekend and Im going for the final round - to make the themes
work.
System: RedHat 7.0, have fvwm-2.4.0 from source, fvwm-themes-base-0.5.0
and fvwm-themes-extra-0.5.0.tar.gz from 

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1738&release_id=47495

I made

  1. configure
  2. make

, as local user and

  make install

, as root.

Result:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fvwm-themes is successfully installed.
        themes and data: in /usr/local/share/fvwm
        shell scripts:   in /usr/local/bin
Put fvwm-themes-start as the last command of
.Xclients/.xinitrc/.xsession
==============================================================================

Then I made this as root:
/usr/local/bin/fvwm-themes-config --site --install
../fvwm-themes-extra-0.5.0.tar.gz

Result:
Theme awol is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme blackbox is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme brushedmetal is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme mech is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme nanogui is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme osx is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme spruce is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Theme unsafe is successfully installed in /usr/local/share/fvwm

Installation of fvwm-themes-extra-0.5.0 is completed
now "Refresh with no cache" and have fun ...

, ok, so base and themes-extra are installed with the same user, namely
root. So I stop Fvwm2 and run directly (as root)
/usr/local/bin/fvwm-themes-start and get this error:

[FVWM-Themes]: Starting Fvwm under th emain fvwm-themes session.
[FVWM][main]: <<error>> Can't open DISPLAY

, I get the same error, when I try as local user. Also I tried to "make
install" as local user, but then I have to make a lot of "chown" of

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/share/man
/usr/local/share/man/man1

etc can't remember the rest, is that right?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 10:40:09 -0400

"Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]> writes:
...
> etc can't remember the rest, is that right?

Before you start fvwm, make sure $DISPLAY is exported and
has a valid value (like ":0").

Alternatively you can add "-d :0" to the command line,
but I think you will be happier exporting $DISPLAY.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:22:36 +0930

> and fvwm-themes-extra-0.5.0.tar.gz from

Well redhat 7.0 is flawed and has a broken glibc I believe. Upgrade to
7.1 at least.
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1738&release_id=47495

Note that last part about .xinitrc!!

> /usr/local/share/man/man1

No need for chown of any files there.

> etc can't remember the rest, is that right?

Nope! Try doing "startx fvwm2 -f themes-rc"

Hope this helps.

Alex

---

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 22:50:47 +0000

Hmm, been trying:

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
export DISPLAY=localhost:0
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

(and ps, its not possible to try the "-d" options (?) )

I get the same error as in the beginning:

  [FVWM][main]: <<error>> Can't open DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0

, an other thing (wouldn't mention it ealier) - I try with
"fvwm-themes-start" directly. I havn't replaced the "fvwm-themes-start"
in .Xclients, which by the way only exist in /root. The other ones

/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients and
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has some startup conditions (if I have KDE, Gnome
whatever). I tried to place "fvwm-themes-start" in Xclients, but nothing
happen, well it jumped out on one of the conditions. To be honest, don't
know where "exec fvwm2" gets triggered. Anyway, that's not the problem
right now?

Also, I tried "startx fvwm2 -f themes-rc" (Alex Wallis) wich just
startup Fvwm2 as usual. Ok, hope to crack this one. Thanks. /nikolaj

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:44:50 -0600

>   [FVWM][main]: <<error>> Can't open DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0

Frankly Alex I'm ashamed at you replying to this lad and not only giving
advice that clearly doesn't work but not actually seeing the problem
that he is running fvwm-themes-start and not startx as he is supposed
to.  You've hung out in #linuxhelp long enough you pick up on things
like this right away :).

Anyway the the problem is that the script fvwm-themes-start doesn't
actually start up X which it is trying to connect to, you have to start
up X then start fvwm and all it's tools, simplest way to do that is
place fvwm-themes-start in a file in your home dir called .xinitrc,
something like pico ~/.xinitrc will open it, then place 

exec fvwm-themes-start

and when you type startx it should run

-- 
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we'd still like yout to test out
this kernel. 
	-- Linus Torvalds, announcing another kernel patch

---

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 22:18:55 +0000

I say damn! Its working! Well I have to say thanks - that goes to Jason
Kibblewhite, Alex Wallis, Dan Espen, Dominik Vogt (sorry if I forgot
some) - Im impressed about Fvwm2, nice work, I must say.

"fvwm-themes-start" in Xclients (home dir) did the trick - Xclients
wasn't there after install as root - I thought that was meant to be.

Well, I'll "delve" bask to the themes for the rest of the evening. See
yea.
/nikolaj, copenhagen, denmark.