Subject: FVWM: WindowList: immediatly at second entry

From: Johannes Zellner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:55:00 +0200

Hi,

there's one issue left with WindowList:

How can I make the second entry already selected if
the windowlist ist displayed by a keyboard shortcut?
Like in M$ Windows.

-- 
   Johanne.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:32:55 +0200

> the windowlist ist displayed by a keyboard shortcut?

Gee, since we all hate windows and think that Alt-Tabbing sucks
anyway I guess nobody ever tested Alt-Tab emulation thorough
enough to notice its a bit inconvenient ;-)

I have written a patch that adds the new option "ReverseOrder" to
the WindowList command.  If you use it, the pointer will start
over the next list entry and hitting Alt-Tab repeatedly (releasing
the Alt in between) rotates through all the windows instead of
just switching back and forth between the last two.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 03:36:19 -0700

Dominik Vogt wrote:
...
> just switching back and forth between the last two.

  seems like a good idea but IMO the name is confusing (I don't even
know why you have chosen it). Since it's new code, can you change it to
something closer to what it does (StartAtSecond, HighlightSecondItem,
MSWinComaptibilityMode or something...)

  and what do you mean by 'releasing alt in between'? isn't it possible
to make it work exctly like in mswin? [window list stays on while alt is
down, tab key moves to next entry]

  btw I consider the way how the alt-tab works in win one of the few
good features of mswin... it's very fast way to switch between
applications (if you're switching between only few of them). is there
any faster way (using fvwm)?

	erik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:06:49 +0200

> MSWinComaptibilityMode or something...)

I have given it this name because this is exactly what it does: it
reverses the order of the menu entries.  Without this option, the
window list is ordered like this:

  Title
  Window 1 (window with the focus)
  Window 2 (window that had the focus before window 1)
  Window 3 (window that had the focus before window 2)
  ...
  Window n (window that had the focus before window n-1)

and with ReverseOrder:

  Title
  Window n (window that had the focus before window n-1)
  ...
  Window 3 (window that had the focus before window 2)
  Window 2 (window that had the focus before window 1)
  Window 1 (window with the focus)

The pointer alsways starts ofer the first menu entry.

> down, tab key moves to next entry]

Yes, that still works.  WHat I meant was the case when you pressed
Alt-Tab, then released both keys and later pressed Alt-Tab again.
Previously that switched between the current window and the window
that had the focus before, now it cycles through all windows.

> any faster way (using fvwm)?

  Key F1 A N Next Focus
  Key F2 A N Prev Focus

You don't have to press the Alt key and never break your fingers
with combinations like Alt-Shift-Ctrl-Tab.  Or even better: With
the Direction command you can get the window much faster:

  # direction bindings
  Key KP_1 A C Direction SouthWest Focus
  Key KP_2 A C Direction South Focus
  Key KP_3 A C Direction SouthEast Focus
  Key KP_4 A C Direction West Focus
  Key KP_5 A C WindowList
  Key KP_6 A C Direction East Focus
  Key KP_7 A C Direction NorthWest Focus
  Key KP_8 A C Direction North Focus
  Key KP_9 A C Direction NorthEast Focus

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^