Subject: FVWM: zombie processes

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:20:43 +0200 (CEST)

There seems to be a lot of zombie processes started by fvwm2 (mostly
'sh').
Is there something wrong with my rc file?
Doing 'ps -AH' shows that these processes where forked by fvwm2.
I suspect they are shells that run commands started through the menus.
Are these run using 'system()' or 'fork()/execv()'? If run with 'system()'
it uses the shell to execute the command, right?

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:11:38 -0400

> it uses the shell to execute the command, right?

What version of fvwm are you running?

How are you launching programs, show us one of
your Exec lines.

Do you have "ExecUseShell" in your config file?  If so whats it
set to?

What OS are you using?

Include any other information you think might help us...

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 01:21:22 +0200 (CEST)

> What version of fvwm are you running?
2.4.0

> How are you launching programs, show us one of

For example, setting a background on login/restart

AddToFunc InitFunction 	  "I" Module FvwmButtons
+			  "I" exec xsetbg /home/marcus/images/fuji.jpg

AddToFunc RestartFunction "I" Module FvwmButtons
+			  "I" exec xsetbg /home/marcus/images/fuji.jpg

seems to generate xsetbg zombies after restarting fvwm2.

> Do you have "ExecUseShell" in your config file?  If so whats it
No, I don't

> What OS are you using?

Linux 2.4.2-2 Redhat 7.1
I will try and run with this config file on Solaris tomorrow and see what
happens...

> Include any other information you think might help us...

I have attached my .fvwm2rc