Subject: FVWM: fvwm and multihead displays ?

From: Markus Grunwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:45:28 +0200

Hi !

quite soon, I'm going to buy a new graphics card. The multihead
capabilities of some cards seem interesting, but I wonder how I can use it
with X, specially with fvwm2.

What possibilies do I have ? Can I for example run one seperate fvwm-desk
on each screen ?

-- 
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577      PGP Key:
http://counter.li.org                http://www.grunwald.2xs.de
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:50:29 +0200

> What possibilies do I have ? Can I for example run one seperate fvwm-desk

First, you need an X server that supports multi head displays.
Most commercial UNIXes have one (but I can't tell you how to
configure it).  XFree 4.x has multi head and Xinerama support
(you'll want the most recent version you can lay your hands on).

Second, you need a supported video card.  If you intend to use two
video cards with XFree, there is or was a big problem in getting
the second card initialised (the BIOS does not do this).  I tried
a number of different card and could run a dual screen setup only
with two Matrox cards.  If you want to buy a single card with dual
monitor support this shouldn't be an issue.

Third, you have to decide wether to use Xinerama or traditional
dual screen.  Xinerama treats both screens as a single big one and
fvwm manages both screens.  Xinerama support is new in 2.4.1.
If you don't have Xinerama you have to use two screens.  This
works basically the same, but you can't move windows between the
screens and have to start a separate fvwm on each screen (fvwm
does this by default if it detects multiple screens).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Stephane Rosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:59:28 +0200 (CEST)

>  fvwm manages both screens.  Xinerama support is new in 2.4.1.

Hey! I didn't know about that. What exactly is the support
provided to xinerama ? I mean what would be different than
using any WM with xinerama since the WM just sees that there
is one X server and it's huge ?

Thanks
Stephane

-- 
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 616-0828
--------------------------------------------------------------
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :   EuroOper on #irchelp
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :   Clipper on #radionet
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:41:27 +0200

> is one X server and it's huge ?

Fvwm knows about the screens of a Xinerama display and makes sure
that windows and icons are not placed between the screens or in
blank areas that are not part of any screen.  Also, there are a
lot of new commands and options to handle Xinerama.  For example
the is a new MoveToScreen command, and the X geometry format takes
an optional '@screen' argument to denote the screen, e.g.

  -0-0@1

refers to the lower right corner of screen 1.  For further details
have a look at the 2.4.1 man page and the NEWS file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^