Subject: FVWM: border and title pixmap styles

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:45:13 -0400 (EDT)

Has there been any work done towards making background pixmaps more
customizable (sorta like what Sawmill does). By this, I mean the ability
to have a pixmap specifically for the text of the title bar, then another
pixmap for the remaining space, and pixmaps up and down the different
directions of the borders?

Anyone who's used the default theme for Sawmill on a recent Ximian Gnome
install should understand what I'm talking about. I thought that since
Enlightenment came out, some of this functionality would get worked into
fvwm2, but I don't even see that any work has started yet. I could be
wrong, I haven't looked at the code itself, but there's nothing in the man
pages :-)
			-peace

-- 
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:56:41 +0200

> directions of the borders?

No.

> wrong, I haven't looked at the code itself, but there's nothing in the man

Actually, two years ago there was a common consensus between the
developers not to go this way.  We were much more concerned with
functionality than with looks.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:25:22 +0200 (CEST)

> functionality than with looks.

If this is implemented I would prefer if it has as small impact as
possible (performance and space), since I like the plain ol' Motif looking
style...

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:59:33 -0400

> functionality than with looks.

I think we also agreed that if someone wanted to go overboard
on frame decoration, it would have to be done in a module
or a separately loaded shared library.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:49:08 -0400 (EDT)

> functionality than with looks.

Well, if you think about it, adding a little more customization to the
pixmaps in the title would be a functional decision rather than a "looks"
decision.

Being able to use a different pixmap for the area immediately below the
title would help a designer in using pixmaps for the background. As it is,
I imagine pixmaps for backgrounds on any window are pretty much pointless
unless you've found the magic pixmap that lets your window look good while
not killing the visibility of your title. If you could change the pixmap
for the background area behind the title, it'd aid in making visual
identification of a window easier.

I think an addition like this would be a functional one. Just being able
to change the pixmap immediately behind the title, as well as another two
settings for transitions into the other pixmaps.

Would that be so hard? (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)
			-peace

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:18:57 +0200

> Would that be so hard? (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)

Yes.  It requires a totally different approach of the internal
window layout.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^