Subject: FVWM: TaskBar swallowing or ...

From: Norman Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Sep 2001 15:26:19 -0400

Is it possible to emulate the following Gnome control panel (I think
that's what they call it) functionality in fvwm:

I'd like to have an autohidden task bar that has swallowed the pager
and possibly a few buttons.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

-- 
Norman Walsh <[email-masked]> | Some people tell you you should not
http://nwalsh.com/            | drink claret after strawberries. They
                              | are wrong.--William Maginn
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 03:36:17 +0200

> and possibly a few buttons.

Yes, but you probably won't like the auto hiding part.

What you want is a combination of FvwmButtons, FvwmPager and
FvwmIconMan.  First, create an FvwmButtons bar that is located at
the bottom of the screen (or wherever else you want it) and size
it appropriately, then swallow both, the pager and the icon
manager:

  Style TBButtons MouseFocus, Sticky, WindowListSkip, CirculateSkip
  Style TBButtons HandleWidth 1, TitleAtBottom, NoTitle
  *TBButtonsGeometry 1024x24+0-0
  *TBButtonsRows     1
  *TBButtonsColumns  128
  *TBButtonsBoxSize  fixed
  *TBButtons(10x1+0+0, Swallow FvwmPager 'FvwmPager TBPager * * -geometry -2000-2000')
  *TBButtons(118x1, Swallow FvwmIconMan 'FvwmIconMan TBIconMan')

  # FvwmPager settings for 'taskbar' emulation
  *TBPagerFont         none

  # FvwmIconMan settings for 'taskbar' emulation
  Style FvwmIconMan WindowListSkip, CirculateSkip
  *TBIconMan*FollowFocus true
  *TBIconMan*Format "%t"
  *TBIconMan*ManagerGeometry 5x1
  *TBIconMan*Resolution page
  *TBIconMan*UseWinList true

Then start it with

  FvwmButtons TBButtons

(put that in your StartFunction).
You may have to fine tune the geometries, though.  The only funny
thing is that the buttons in the icon manager happily fill the
whole 'task bar', even if there is only one window.

Now for the autohiding part.  You need to use FvwmAuto:

  AddToFunc TBEnter
  + I Current (TBButtons) All (TBButtons) WindowShade off
  + I Current (!TBButtons) All (TBButtons) WindowShade on
  AddToFunc TBLeave
  + I All (TBButtons) WindowShade on
  Module FvwmAuto 50 TBEnter TBLeave

Note that this only works properly if the button bar uses
MouseFocus or SloppyFocus. You may want

  Style TBButtons StaysOnTop

also.

Personally, I don't like this kind of auto hiding at all.  I find
it much more convenient to bind a double click on the decoration
hide/show the module:

  Mouse 1 FS    N   Function ResizeOrRaise
  AddToFunc ResizeOrRaise
  + C Raise
  + M Raise
  + M Resize
  + D Current (Shaded) Raise
  + D WindowShade toggle

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].