Subject: FVWM: Tabbed windows

From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:34:56 -0700

I've been looking at the tabbed window supports in PWM as even with
the assist of virtual desktops and IconMans I have problems keeping
track:

  http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/

Is there any interest or motion toward addind tabbed window supports
to FVWM2?  If I did a patch, what are the chances of it being picked
up?

-- 
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.	    
---------(*)                                   /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
[email-masked]                                 `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/                     Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:14:57 -0700

> to FVWM2?  If I did a patch, what are the chances of it being picked

  just my opinion:

  it looks extremely useful, as long as it's easy to (de/a)ttach windows
to given frame (e.g. by dragging the title - is that how it works?).

	erik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:16:56 +0200

>   http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/

Funny.  How does this exactly work?  Do the windows actually share
the same frame?

> to FVWM2?  If I did a patch, what are the chances of it being picked

If this can be done it would certainly be welcome.  But you should
not simply write a patch and then send it to the list because the
patch will be *very* big.  You should subscribe to the
fvwm-workers mailing list and discuss this feature there.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:02:30 +0000

> fvwm-workers mailing list and discuss this feature there.

Jason Weber wrote us some months ago about his (pre-)alpha module:

  http://www.imonk.com/baboon/FvwmPartition/

It suggests a bit different solution for tabbed windows that may share the
same space or not.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:41:17 -0400

>From the pictures, they share the same tabs.  I don't see any frame.

I'd be curious as to how this would fit in with the current decoration
scheme, now we have frames, handles, buttons and titles.

I'd imagine the title area could be split up with 3d boxes.

I don't know how the buttons, frames and handles fit in.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: J C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:44:48 -0700

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:02:30 +0000 

>> Funny.  How does this exactly work?  Do the windows actually
>> share the same frame?

Yup, exactly.

>   http://www.imonk.com/baboon/FvwmPartition/

Related/comparable developments outside the FVWM world:

  ION: http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/
  LarsWM: http://www.fnurt.net/larswm/

> It suggests a bit different solution for tabbed windows that may
> share the same space or not.

Its quite a bit different being based on tiling rather than frame
sharing.  I'm interested in increasing data density on my screens --
thus the interest in TAB support.