Subject: FVWM: fvwm2.4 gnome dependency - can it be built without gnome?

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:53:50 -0400

Hey folks.  Long time fvwm2 user here (they'll never get me back to
another wm now!).

Anyway, I switched my OS over to FreeBSD recently, and wasted no time
making use of the fvwm2-devel port (2.3.?).

Of course, now that fvwm2.4 has been released, the devel port is
marked as broken in deference to the fvwm2 port.  Problem, it wants to
build with gnome all of a sudden.  The 2.3 port at least made this an
option, and I avoided it intentionally.

Last time I tried to build any of the gnome ports on a FreeBSD system,
it took over a Gig of disk space to corral all the dependencies
(something like 6 deep and 7 wide!).  Good thing I had just upgraded
the system to a 40G drive!

How tough would it be to get this built *without* gnome?  I really see
no reason to build it in, since I haven't made any significant config
changes since 2.2, and I won't be using any of the fancy new stuff
anyway.  Besides, the system I am hoping to get the upgrade on may not
*have* the space for this kind of extensively dependent build.

I suppose I could stick with 2.3.x, but I'd kinda like to play with
some of the sound toys and get the added stability, maybe learn a
little more about the other toys?

TIA

Lou
-- 
Louis LeBlanc       [email-masked]
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 Ô¿Ô¬

The Fifth Rule:
  You have taken yourself too seriously.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:06:00 -0400

> *have* the space for this kind of extensively dependent build.

Does

./configure --disable-gnome

help?

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:50:11 -0700

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:53:50AM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> 
> How tough would it be to get this built *without* gnome?

Not tough at all. The current port in x11-wm/fvwm2 should build okay
with "make WANT_GNOME=no" without the hours and hours of compilation.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Compulsory education is inconstitutional" - random graffitti
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:08:00 -0400

> ./configure --disable-gnome

No, not with the port.  The Makefile has a variable that appears to be
hardcoded, to yes (WANT_GNOME=yes), and then checks to see if another
is defined (HAVE_GNOME).  It isn't real clear what make parameter will
tell the port to use the --disable-gnome config directive.

Another suggestion in this thread was "make WANT_GNOME=no", but
WANT_GNOME is just redefined back to yes and gnome-libs is still
included.

Maybe I'll have to hack the Makefile myself.  Perhaps the port
maintainer is listening?

I'll probably send directly to the maintainer if I can't get around it
correctly.

Thanks all.
Lou

Magnet, n.:
  Something acted upon by magnetism.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:11:53 +0000

> ./configure --disable-gnome

I suggest to use "./configure --help" so that we don't confuse each other.
Reading INSTALL.fvwm before anything else is good too. :)

It should be "./configure --without-gnome" to force the building without
gnome-libs. But if there is no gnome installed this is automatically used.

I am not sure what this Makefile wants to achieve regarding GNOME:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/x11-wm/fvwm2/Makefile?rev=1.31&content-type=text/plain

because gnome-libs support is already autoconfigured in fvwm.

And it seems they did the same error as above (I don't really know their
intension). --enable-gnome is good, it has nothing to do with gnome-libs,
but with gnome-wm hints. Non GNOME applications may use these hints too.
I may rename this option to --disable-gnome-wm if this helps.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:34:12 +0200

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

[ --enable-gnome]

> I may rename this option to --disable-gnome-wm if this helps.

This option puzzled me a bit too when configuring. I would suggest to
rename it to --enable-gnome-hints, though.

Regards,
Uli.

---

From: André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:52:10 +0200

> rename it to --enable-gnome-hints, though.

I assume you mean --disable-gnome-hints? I agree that it sounds more clear
than disable-gnome-wm since that could be interpreted as "disable the
window manager gnome". I'm not saying Gnome is a window manager, but a lot
of user's aren't clear about the difference.
-- 

André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:52:41 -0400

> I suggest to use "./configure --help" so that we don't confuse each other.

Well, thats where I stopped.
Its not clear at all:

./configure --help
...
  --disable-gnome         disable GNOME window manager hints
...23 lines...
  --with-gnome-includes   location of GNOME headers
  --with-gnome-libs       location of GNOME libs
  --with-gnome            prefix for GNOME files (not needed for GNOME WM hints)

Looking at the last option, it looks like it should really be

--with-gnome-prefix=PFX

but that would lead to the even more confusing:

--without-gnome-prefix=PFX

How about:

  --disable-gnome-hints   disable GNOME window manager hints
  --disable-gnome         disable GNOME
...23 lines...
  --with-gnome-includes   location of GNOME headers
  --with-gnome-libs       location of GNOME libs
  --with-gnome-prefix=PFX prefix for GNOME libs and headers

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:23:15 +0000

> Well, thats where I stopped.

INSTALL.fvwm contains more than a one line description for every configure
option and common situations.

>   --with-gnome            prefix for GNOME files (not needed for GNOME WM hints)

The stuff that generates these lines is taken from the standard gnome.m4.
The logic is not trivial, it has no sence to change names without changing
the logic. Since everything works well, there is no reason to change logic.

For most of users the defaults (no gnome options) should be more than ok,
because gnome-config returns the place of includes, libraries and more.
It is also not critical if FvwmGtk is built without gnome-libs.

The problem of the original poster is due to the FreeBSD port that
by default requires GNOME libs. It is not FVWM that requires this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:45:04 +0000

I renamed --disable-gnome and added explanations about --with-gnome.
Is there anything in INSTALL.fvwm now that needs more clarifications?

  ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/sources/INSTALL.fvwm

Regards,
Mikhael.