Subject: Re: FVWM: configuring fvwm2

From: Dorothy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:47:09 -0700

I've been meaning to do it for ages, but this discussion prompted me to 
finally put my configs on my web site.  My setup allows changing decors 
without restarting.  It's done quite simply, with no perl scripts or 
extra programs.

Some of the decors are visually quite fancy.  (Some of them are rather 
girly, too.)

I've posted them, with snapshots of the window decorations, at
<http://www.twobarleycorns.net/fvwm/fvwm-decors.html>.  There's a 
tarball that has the xpms for the buttons and icons.

Cheers,
Dorothy

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dorothy Robinson
http://www.twobarleycorns.net

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dirk Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:07:10 +0000

After looking at the man files that came with my slackware 7.1, all I
see are files about modules. Obviously, I'm missing something here. I
got fvwm2 going by copying the supplied system.fvwm2rc file to my home
directory and renaming it ".fvwm2rc". Then I hacked it up a
little.....but I don't have much of a clue about what I'm doing. I
appear to have fvwm version 2.2.4.....OK, so I went to the fvwm web page
and found the huge man page for fvwm2. How do I get this in "man page
format" whatever that is? I saved it as html, but I don't think xman
reads that format. I've got some reading to do....

-- 
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:15:41 -0400

> reads that format. I've got some reading to do....

You should be able to bring up the man page by typing:

man fvwm2

The man page in html format was created from the man page in
man page format.  There is now way to convert it from html to man
format.

If the fvwm2 man page got deleted from your setup, you should be able
to download fvwm 2.2.4 and extract the man page from it, or you
might want to just install the current release 2.4.0.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dirk Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:53:20 +0000

> You should be able to bring up the man page by typing:

Well dang. it's there in my xterm, but not available under xman. weird.
All 3,385 lines of it. Hmmmm, something fishy here. Anyway, I printed
out the html version. that took a while.....<g>
-- 
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:31:12 -0400

Dirk Wright wrote:
> All 3,385 lines of it. Hmmmm, something fishy here.

	There are 2 possibilities I can think of. 

	1) In xman, did you look for "fvwm" (all lower case) or "fvwm2" - all
the module stuff shows up early in the index, because the names all
start with "Fvwm", but fvwm is lower case, and therefore shows up
farther down.

	2) The xman config can be set up to show things differently from the
standard search order you would expect judging from the MANPATH. I doubt
that this is the case, but if it is you would see a file called mandesc
in one of more of the root directories of the various man hierarchies -
e.g., /usr/man, /usr/local/man, /var/man, etc.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dirk Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:16:00 +0000

> start with "Fvwm", but fvwm is lower case, and therefore shows up

Well, uh, duh....I'm going to go back to lurking....too embarassed to
continue....

Dirk Wright