Subject: FVWM: gradient is not smooth

From: Johannes Zellner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:27:24 +0200

Hi,

I tried gradients (Hgradient) in title bars, but even if I specify
1000 steps, it's not smooth. I'm on a 16 bit TrueColor visual where
I get perfectly smooth gradient colors when running Win2000 on vmware.
What can I do to get smooth title colors ?

-- 
   Johannes
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:11:47 -0700

> What can I do to get smooth title colors ?

  16 bit is not truecolor (24 bit color is referred to as truecolor, 16
is usually high color or something like that)

  it depends on how the palette is set up. Not sure how you can
influence that... you probably do not have anought colors or fvwm
decided to use fewer colors since you do not have unlimited number of
colors (where 24 bit is unlimited in this sense:-)

	erik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:21:51 +0200

> What can I do to get smooth title colors ?

On a 16 bit display, the smoothness of the gradient depends almost
entirely on the colours you chose.  The 16 bits allow for only
five bits per base colour = 32 shades per base colour.  So,
gradients generally use no more than 32 different colours, but it
can be even much less if the starting and the end colour are too
close.  For example:

  1000 steps from #000000 (black) to #ff0000 (bright red) uses
  32 colours:

--> #000000, #080000, #100000, ..., #f70000, #ff0000

  but 1000 steps from #604000 to #406000 uses only five colours:

--> #604000, #584800, #505000, #485800, #406000

while you will harly note the steps of the first gradient, the
second one consists of only five big blocks of the same colour.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].