Subject: Re: FVWM: Alt-tab window switching my way....

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:37:29 -0400

Sander Graswinckel <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hi,
> 
> I can't seem to get Alt-tab window cycling work the way I like it (fvwm
> version 2.4.0). "Next (CurrentDesk !Iconic) Focus" stops at the last
> window in the list, I want it to focus the first window in the list again.
> In addition I don't want it to change the winlist order (just keep the
> order in which the windows were created).
> 
> Is this possible in fvwm?

I don't think so, I don't see anything in the "Next" logic that
would make it wrap around.

The built-in alt-tab binding does allow for wrap around.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sean Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 19:08:08 -0400

> The built-in alt-tab binding does allow for wrap around.

This has been annoying me for quite some time now.  In releases previous to 2.4
the Next command would wrap around, which made things rather nice for working
with lots of xterms.  The built in alt-tab seems to be a window list, which is
a rather poor substitute.  So does anyone know how do wrap around focus
switching without the window list?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 23:54:17 +0000

[I had no email for 3 days so answering only now.]

> > would make it wrap around.

This is not correct. Next and Prev are circular commands.

> switching without the window list?

This question was asked several times, so I will add it to FAQ.

"Next Focus" should normaly circulate around all matching windows.
But if some window does not accept focus, it may break circulation,
because "Next Focus" makes the problematic window current and tries to
give it the focus, this fails and the previous window stays focused
forever while you execute "Next Focus".

Receiving the focus may fail becuase either a program sets "Focus Policy"
to "No input" or a user explicitely gives a window NeverFocus style.

There are 2 solutions to solve breaking circulation. The first is:

  Style * Lenience

This instructs all (or some) windows to accept focus regardless of what
the program requests. The second solution is to find a problematic window
and make it CirculateSkip, for example:

  Style XClock CirculateSkip
  Style FvwmPager CirculateSkip, WindowListSkip

Regards,
Mikhael.