Subject: FVWM: configuring fvwm2

From: Dan Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Could someone give me some pointers to where I can learn how to write
.fvwm2rc files?

I've noticed several nifty screen shots and accompanying files at various
places on the web, so obviously many people have learned how to do this.  

So far, however, I've not found any websites that give a run down on what
the various commands are and how to use them.  Do such exist?

Thanks,

--Dan Schwartz
  Florida State University

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:08:41 -0700 (PDT)

> the various commands are and how to use them.  Do such exist?

For starters, "man fvwm2".

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Aug 2001 00:28:59 +1000

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Schwartz <[email-masked]> writes:

    Dan> Hello, Could someone give me some pointers to where I can
    Dan> learn how to write .fvwm2rc files?

    Dan> I've noticed several nifty screen shots and accompanying
    Dan> files at various places on the web, so obviously many people
    Dan> have learned how to do this.

    Dan> So far, however, I've not found any websites that give a run
    Dan> down on what the various commands are and how to use them.
    Dan> Do such exist?

    Dan> Thanks,

G'day Dan,

have a look at http://dotfiles.com/ they have a big selection of Fvwm
dotfiles and a example is the best place to start from

then read the man pages for fvmw (all the modules have man pages too.)

cheers
-- 
Joel

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 01:07:43 +0200

> the various commands are and how to use them.  Do such exist?

 - Use a good config file as base and look what fvwm can do.
   Some examples come with the source distributeion.
 - Read the fvwm2 man page and the module's man pages.
 - There are also some nice examples in the FAQ.
 - Don't hesitate to ask questions on the mailing list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dirk Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:37:47 +0000

Dominik Vogt wrote:

>  - Don't hesitate to ask questions on the mailing list.

I'm reading "The Concise Guide to XFree86 for Linux" by Hsiao, published
by Que. In it, he says that "an adequate tutorial [on fvwm2] would
require a small book of its own." Well, is there such a book? I don't
find the man pages adequate, and the web site doesn't have much more.
I've subscribed to this list to learn more, but I'm still only
scratching the surface of this wm. 

-- 
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 20:02:05 -0400

> scratching the surface of this wm. 

We've had complaints that the fvwm man page is too big.
Someone claimed that it was the largest man page ever created,
but we found a couple that are larger.

I believe all aspects of fvwm configuration are covered in the
man pages.

For HOW-TO type information, the FAQ is often helpful.

To learn more, ask specific questions and stay subscribed to this
list.

If you can identify things that you think are missing from the
man pages point them out.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 17:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

> but we found a couple that are larger.

Maybe convert most of it to an "info" and make the manpage a
summary .... NOT!!!

Why would anyone object to a large manpage?  Beats having to look
in unexpected places, and/or not having complete docs at all.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:50:37 +0200

> I believe all aspects of fvwm configuration are covered in the

What I think a lot of users want is a place to find a nice set of .fvwm2rc
example files with accompanying screenshots. I have seen such places on the
net but most of them are small and outdated. Just making sure the
screenshots page at fvwm.org page has a wide range of screenshots with
accompanying .fvwm2rc file would be a nice start. It would also be nice if
this page had examples (screenshots and config files) that demonstrated the
new features in FVWM 2.4.
-- 

André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>

---

From: Randy Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:37:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Perry Hutchison spaketh thusly:

-{> We've had complaints that the fvwm man page is too big.
-{> Someone claimed that it was the largest man page ever created,
-{> but we found a couple that are larger.
-{
-{Maybe convert most of it to an "info" and make the manpage a
-{summary .... NOT!!!
-{
-{Why would anyone object to a large manpage?  Beats having to look
-{in unexpected places, and/or not having complete docs at all.

Here here!  I love having this monster man page that I can bop around in
checking things out.

--
Randy    ([email-masked])  715-726-2832          <*>

The Penguin Cometh

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:35:41 -0700 (PDT)

> new features in FVWM 2.4.

I agree.  I would be happy to send (again, I think) my .fvwm2rc file to
the fvwm.org screenshot maintainer to include with my screenshot that's
there.  I found a few dot files on the web and that's how I learned how to
configure things (that, and trial and error, grep, and RTFMing).
								-Tenebrae.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:01:34 -0500

> example files with accompanying screenshots.

i'll contribute. my .fvwm2rc is simple and clean and should be easy to read.
a little too minimalist for some, maybe.

i think it would be best if fvwm.org/screenshots would become the place for
this; currently it doesn't look like .fvwm2rc files are attached to the
pictures though. fvwm.themes.org is currently dead, and iirc, was pretty lame
to start out with (though i haven't been there for a while).

to whom should i send these things?

brendan

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:20:31 -0400

> to whom should i send these things?

I'm reluctant to include entire .fvwm2rc files.  I  think they are too
hard to sort thru and contain things  other users don't want.

How about creating new pages for window decorations, menustyles,
and FvwmButtons layouts, similar to whats already done for Vector
Buttons?

---

From: André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:10:19 +0200

> and FvwmButtons layouts, similar to whats already done for Vector

That sounds like a good idea. Remember to include screenshots, people love
them:-)
--

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 07:03:58 +0930

> to whom should i send these things?

I agree! The temporary fvwm.themes.org (now destroyed) was only hastily
constructed in about an hour and only intended to be online for a month
or so.
A totally new themes.org server has been built from scratch and will be
online in the next few weeks.

I'm hoping to primarily continue supporting and promoting the
fvwm-themes project (http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net) as its design
and the implementation of the many features of fvwm is spectacular to
say the least. Also most window manager's eventually adopt a universally
acceptable theme engine packaging system for theme configuration
trading, and fvwm-themes has been optimised to take the greatest
advantage of the latest features within the vast array of fvwm commands.
It is quite simply and naturally, fvwm's future and redefines the whole
concept of desktop theming. As many on this list have pointed out,
fvwm's man page has become cumbersome and necessarily complicated. With
fvwm-themes however, a menu and/or gui is all that is required to have
your desired configuration created on the fly. Those who may have tried
it already and found it wanting should recheck the latest version from
time to time as development progresses swiftly and improvements are
constantly being added. Feature requests and contributor's are also
greatly desired.

Having said that, I have also given thought to including a more
traditional fvwm2rc file section to the new fvwm.themes.org as well.

Much of fvwm's power and attraction comes from the fact that a short and
simple config file can provide a huge variety of desktop glamour.

Those wishing to contribute their config's and screenshots will be
welcome to submit them to [email-masked] for inclusion. New staff
always welcome. :)

Alex

--
Alex Wallis <email: [email-masked]>
Project Leader for http://fvwm.themes.org
Member - http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:46:57 -0400

Alex Wallis <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > What I think a lot of users want is a place to find a nice set of .fvwm2r
> > i'll contribute. my .fvwm2rc is simple and clean and should be easy to read
...
> welcome to submit them to [email-masked] for inclusion. New staff

Oh great, I just got the first page set up and ready to upload.

I don't want to cause any conflict, but I think theres a place for
hand created configs and another for GUI created configs.

I'll upload what I have to fvwm.org and we can move it around if needed.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:47:32 +0000

> to whom should i send these things?

I sometimes receive from other people tarballs with their full fvwm
configurations, screenshots, even rpms. I then put what I get to:

  http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/data/samples/

So, if you send me or to [email-masked] a tarball with anything you want
like fvwm2rc, pixmaps, other tarballs, screenshots (but not more than 2Mb)
I or Alex will unpack this tarball to your own directory on that page.

Another option is that you convert your config to a theme in fvwm-themes
format, then your theme may be loaded/unloaded on the fly by other users.

If you send something innovative, I and Olivier (another developer) may
convert it to a theme ourselves and include to the next fvwm-themes-extra.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:18:22 -0400

André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]> writes:
> That   sounds like  a good  idea.   Remember to include screenshots,
> people love them:-)

I've created a "Menu Samples" page.
If anyone would like to submit a Menu screenshot and matching fvwmrc
file they can do so.

Right now its OK to send them directly to me.

Designs for the window decorations page will be accepted also.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Aug 2001 11:01:27 +1000

>>>>> "Perry" == Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]> writes:

    Perry> Maybe convert most of it to an "info" and make the manpage
    Perry> a summary .... NOT!!!

Thats actually a good idea, being an Emacs person I almost always have
an info window open in a separate frame when I'm editing a config file
and I find the links and references in a well written info file more
helpful then a really long page of plain text.

I thinks I might make this a project if I can find the time

---

From: Xucaen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi. just like Dan, I too am looking for more info
on .fvwm2rc files. I have read the man page and
forgive me but the man page just does not give
enough information. I have seen the man pages and
the fvwm web page and read all the info that I
could find but what I really need and want is a
good reference manual or something similar. I
have asked before on this list but no one
responded. I need to understand the syntax of the
.fvwm2rc file. I have seen clips of others' and
they are a bit cryptic to a beginner. I know it
can't be _that_ difficult to learn, but I also
don't have the time to play with it and figure it
all out.
thanks

xucaen

--- Perry Hutchison
> For starters, "man fvwm2".

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Xucaen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I have just a few questions about this
response;

>  - Use a good config file as base and look what

where can I find a good config file? Would anyone
on the list be willing to post them or email
them?
Does anyone have a config file that is well
commented? (specifically comments describing the
syntax)

>    Some examples come with the source

I have looked in my debian fvwm docs directory
but did not find good examples. Is there
someplace where I can download examples?

>  - Read the fvwm2 man page and the module's man

I have read the fvwm's man page but it isn't what
I need. I need docs that are more technical
syntactically. Where are the man pages for the
modules? I don't think I have them on my debian
system.

>  - There are also some nice examples in the

If you are refering to the FAQ at fvwm.org, I
have read some of it and found this to be the
only place I have ever been able to find
examples. But unfortunately for me the examples
aren't descriptive enough. I am very unfamiliar
with fvwm modules, their use and their syntax.
(The descriptions of the modules on the web page
did not make sense to me.)

>  - Don't hesitate to ask questions on the

I realize that no one _has_ to answer emails
posted to the list, but it seems that no one will
answer me.. either my emails are not getting
posted or no one has the information I am looking
for. (I don't know which) I will keep searching
for information as time permits and will keep
asking questions. I also have seen others asking
the same questions I have asked and the answers
to these questions have been very helpful, so I
will keep reading this list. I am sure that
sooner or later I will figure out fvwm, I just
want it to be sooner than later..

thanks!!

xucaen

---

From: Xucaen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:44:37 -0700 (PDT)

WOW!!!  This is the BEST help I have seen thus
far!!  Thank you SO much for posting this URL!!!
Joel, you are the BEST!

Thanks!!

Xuc

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:35:25 +0930

You dont say which fvwm version you are using.
fvwm -version will tell that information.

> someplace where I can download examples?

Fvwm usually comes with example configs so "locate fvwm2rc" should find
them if they exist on your system. Otherwise there are some useful
sample configs fairly well commented at
ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/sources/sample.fvwmrc/
 
> syntactically. 

The syntax for each command is clearly defined in man fvwm2

> Where are the man pages for the

Similarly man FvwmButtons and man FvwmBacker and man FvwmPager etc...
will tell you about all the module commands. Running xman is generally
the quickest way to find and browse the man pages of available commands
on your system.

> did not make sense to me.)

There are usually example configs for each of the modules included with
each installation, try "locate ConfigFvwm" to find those files.

> want it to be sooner than later..

I hope you don't now get flooded with too much information, but don't
hestitate to ask for more if this is still not enough.

Alex

---

From: Xucaen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

here's a quick question; In my debian
installation when I use man I can only page up,
page down and scroll. Is there a way to do a
search in man?
(perhaps man man will tell me?  ;-)
         ^^^^^^^ I'm not home right now and
cannot try this.

thanks!!  
we now return you to our regularly scheduled
discussion

xucaen

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:09:50 -0700

> to whom should i send these things?

  what about fvwm.themes.org?

  it was re-born recently and the problem was that it was only for new
2.3 (development) series now the 2.4 is out I guess fvwm.themes.org is
the place to go for configs etc...

  it doesn't work at the moment because of security breach but I've
already seen it and it looks very promising. They suggested a way to
organize the config files so that you can change different aspects
separately (window look, keyboard shortcuts, menus etc.), you can change
themes without restarting etc... it looks like it's still work in
progress but it is already usable (or at least it was usable when I
tried it with 2.3 some time ago).

  I wonder why didn't anybody mentioned it yet (in this configuration
thread) - is it down again? what's the status (I cannot check it since
the site is currently down)?

	erik

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:43:01 -0700

>          ^^^^^^^ I'm not home right now and

  /string will probably search for a string.

  actually man only find the proper manpage, it uses external program
(pager) to view the manpage.

  to find out which viewer is used:

  run man (to see any man page, e.g. man man)
  in different session (window) run pstree and look for the man - the
last thing on that line os the pager program, e.g.

  `-xdm-+-XFree86
    `-xdm---sh-+-ssh-agent
      `-x-window-manage-+-FvwmAnimate
        |-FvwmAuto
        |-FvwmCommandS
        |-FvwmPager
        |-gkrellm---gkrellm
        |-netscapeMail.pl---communicator-sm---communicator-sm
        |-oclock
        |-soffice.bin---soffice.bin---5*[soffice.bin]
        |-2*[x-terminal-emul---tcsh---mc---tcsh]
        |-x-terminal-emul---tcsh---man---sh-+-nroff---groff-+-grotty
        |                                   |               `-troff
        |                                   `-pager
        |-x-terminal-emul---tcsh---bash

  in the example above it's program called pager (which pager shows it's
/usr/bin/pager, which is a link to /etc/alternatices/pager, which is a
link to /usr/bin/less, that's the debian way to set the pager for all
system, if I would like to use different pager I would use
update-alternatives --config pager to make pager point to some other
viewer)

  you can specify which pager to use:

  specific pager, use following command line option):

    -P pagerName

  no pager, the output goes to stdout:

    -T

  specific pager (using environmental variable):

    export PAGER='/usr/bin/less' # sh and derivatives (bash, ksh)
    setenv PAGER '/usr/bin/less' # csh and derivatives (tcsh)

  you can put the setting of PAGER variable to your shell's startup file
to have a permanent setting

	erik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:41:16 -0400

>          ^^^^^^^ I'm not home right now and

The best way I know of the read man pages is inside Emacs or XEmacs.

1. start (x)emacs.
2. type Esc X man Return
3. Type the name of the man page "fvwm2" Return.

You now have an emacs buffer with the man page in it.  All the emacs
search, and positioning commands work.

If thats too much for you, try "xman".

I believe most versions of Linux use "less" to display the man page.
Do "man less" for more information.

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 06:34:33 +0930

Yes fvwm.themes.org is again offline due to the illegal activities of
certain hackers. A totally new and revamped themes.org server is under
construction and should be online within a few weeks. I have already
responded to this thread, but for those who missed my earlier response,
users can submit their configurations and screenshots for inclusion when
the new fvwm.themes.org becomes operational again. In the meantime Dan
Espen is posting various parts of configs such as window decorations,
menus etc.... for examples of individual elements of fvwm2rc creation.

Of course the fvwm-themes project at http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net
allows an extremely flexible and a huge variety of configuration choices
without knowing a single fvwm configuration command. Creating new and
additional components is also easily achievable with the documentation
and directions included.

Alex Wallis
Project Leader for http://fvwm.themes.org
=========================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Aug 2001 18:48:36 +1000

>>>>> "Xucaen" == Xucaen  <[email-masked]> writes:

    Xucaen> WOW!!!  This is the BEST help I have seen thus far!!
    Xucaen> Thank you SO much for posting this URL!!!  Joel, you are
    Xucaen> the BEST!

    Xucaen> Thanks!!

<blush> 

  Aaawww Shucks,

</blush>