Subject: FVWM: WindowList question

From: Aravind Lappasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:04:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi I use fvwm2 2.0.45, I would like new windows be added at the end of
WindowList so that it doesnt change the indices of other windows.  Is 
there any option that I can specify?

Thanks

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:03:54 +0000

> there any option that I can specify?

You can't fixate the window indeces as of now. If you don't like that
windows in WindowList are in random positions, you may sort it:

  WindowList Alphabetic NoDeskSort

If you search for a way to switch between windows quickly you can do this
without WindowList. Please upgrade your fvwm, 2.0.45 is unsupported.

Here are commands for 2.4.0 that I wrote on the fly, to create shortcuts
for quick window switching. You press Shift-Ctrl-Alt-{1,2,3,4} to create a
numbered shortcut for the current window. Then press Ctrl-Alt-{1,2,3,4} to
switch to a numbered window:

  Key 1 W SCM Key 1 A CM Silent WindowListFunc $$w
  Key 2 W SCM Key 2 A CM Silent WindowListFunc $$w
  Key 3 W SCM Key 3 A CM Silent WindowListFunc $$w
  Key 4 W SCM Key 4 A CM Silent WindowListFunc $$w

WindowListFunc is built-in, but you may use other function for switching.
Silent is optional, it helps if the previously numbered window is closed.

Does it help?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:39:29 +0000

On 24 Aug 2001 13:44:40 -0700, Aravind Lappasi wrote:
> I tried the key bindings that you gave, to assign a fixed number to a
> specific window and then switch to that, it did not work unfortunately for
> me, may be my fvwm2 version doesnt understand it :-(

I have no 2.0.45. Why can't you upgrade? :)
Actually 2.2.x versions should understand $w, $$w and WindowListFunc. Just
tested in 2.2.5, works very ugly as compared with the above, but works:

  AddToFunc MakeShortcut
  + I Key $0 A CM WindowListFunc $1
  + I Recapture

  Key 1 W SCM MakeShortcut 1 $$w
  Key 2 W SCM MakeShortcut 2 $$w
  Key 3 W SCM MakeShortcut 3 $$w
  Key 4 W SCM MakeShortcut 4 $$w

  #Recapture  # if you do all this in FvwmConsole, Key requires Recapture

> But if as I had said earlier, if there is a way to assign windows at the
> end of the list then the numbers of old windows wouldnt change at all,
> will be very convenient to switch to that window (one keystroke to bring
> up the list and then the number!)

You may use WindowList with window name arguments to bring only xterms or
only netscapes. Or as I wrote, try to solve this without WindowList.
For example, Ctrl-Alt-1 switches to (any) xterm, Ctrl-Alt-2 to Netscape,
Ctrl-Alt-3 to emacs:

  Key 1 A CM Next ("XTerm") Focus
  Key 2 A CM Next ("Netscape") Focus
  Key 3 A CM Next ("Emacs") Focus

P.S. Please reply to the list.

Regards,
Mikhael.