Subject: FVWM: How to detect fvwm2 as the running window manger

From: Mike Bronson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:07:45 -0700

What is the best way to programmatically detect that fvwm2
is the running window manger?

Can it be dectected by the use of  X properties?  If so,
which ones uniquely identify fvwm2 and are not left
behind by fvwm2 when its process dies?

Mike Bronson

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Gregg Dameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:39:44 -0600

I'm a fan of pgrep, on Solaris anyway.  Would that work for you?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:44:03 -0400

> behind by fvwm2 when its process dies?

Do these questions have anything to do with the open
FVWM/Java problems?

FVWM doesn't set any particular property to identify itself,
but we'd be willing to set one.

FVWM can already set a property that makes FVWM pass the
"XmIsMotifRunning" test.  Java doesn't seem to like that much.

According to my Solaris XChangeProperty man page:

     The lifetime of a property is not tied to the storing
     client.  Properties remain until explicitly deleted, until
     the window is destroyed, or until the server resets.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].