Subject: FVWM: FVWM ignores a few key combinations

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 2001 17:00:18 +0200

Hi,

I'm using the super key (defined as modifier 5) often combined with the
shift key to interact with my window manager, i.e. I have defined
a whole bunch of lines like e.g.

Key	i	A	5	Iconify

after a while I ran out of mnemonic <super>-<char> combinations so I started
combining them with the shift key, like:

Key	x	A	5S	exec xterm

For some odd reason the following 4 key combinations don't work:
<super>-<shift>-s
<super>-<shift>-w
<super>-<shift>-x
<super>-<shift>-2

but all other <super>-<shift>-<key> combinations work just fine.

Of course I can live without those 4 combinations, but 'inquiring minds
want to know' :-).
This seems like a typical Murphy since the first 2 combinations I defined
where <super>-<shift>-w and <super>-<shift>-x (for starting an xterm and a
web browser). So first I thought <super>-<shift> might not work at all, but
it was just bad luck :-).

To make sure that this wasn't caused by anything else in my .fvwm2rc I tried
this also with a .fvwm2rc file that contained nothing but a few of these
key definitions.

BTW I'm running fvwm2 2.2.4 on HP-UX B.10.20 but the same 4 keys don't work
on my Linux PC either.

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
I'm returning this note to you, instead of your paper,
because it (your paper) presently occupies the bottom of
my bird cage.   -- English Professor, Providence College
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:23:26 +0000

> but all other <super>-<shift>-<key> combinations work just fine.

I currently have the following modifiers (accourding to xmodmap):

  mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
  mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

And for me both bindings (with Super and with Scroll_Lock) work well:

  Key  x  A  4S  Exec exec xterm
  Key  x  A  5S  Exec exec xterm

However, I run panel (from GNOME) and the following does not launch xterm:

  Key  g  A  4C  Exec exec xterm

Instead the panel's menu is invoked. Ctrl-Super-G and Ctrl-Super-R are
handled by panel globally in my case.

It is likely that you run some application that receives your keys before
fvwm or any other application. You may verify this with an empty fvwmrc
using xev.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 2001 09:11:29 +0200

>>>>> "Mikhael" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:
    Mikhael> 
    >> but all other <super>-<shift>-<key> combinations work just fine.
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael> I currently have the following modifiers (accourding to xmodmap):
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael>   mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
    Mikhael>   mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael> And for me both bindings (with Super and with Scroll_Lock) work
    Mikhael> well:
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael>   Key  x  A  4S  Exec exec xterm
    Mikhael>   Key  x  A  5S  Exec exec xterm
    Mikhael> 
    Mikhael> It is likely that you run some application that receives your
    Mikhael> keys before fvwm or any other application. You may verify this
    Mikhael> with an empty fvwmrc using xev.
    Mikhael> 
well tried it again with an empty fvwm2rc and still all 4 keys wont work
neither on my HP-UX workstation nor on my Linux PC, i.e. xev doesn't notice
these 4 keys at all.
Maybe you're using a newer version of fvwm2 (I'm using 2.2.4).

Thanks

Klaus

Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked something.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:10:06 -0700

Klaus Zeitler wrote:
...
> neither on my HP-UX workstation nor on my Linux PC, i.e. xev doesn't notice

  well, if xev does not detect those keys then there is no way any other
program (using X keyboard input) would (AFAIK)

  if you use X 4.x you can take a looks at the keyboard models available
(or check the xkbd extension and create new model), on debian the files
are under /etc/X11/xkb

	erik

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:20:54 +0000

On 21 Aug 2001 09:11:29 +0200, Klaus Zeitler wrote:
>     Mikhael> for me both bindings (with Super and with Scroll_Lock) work
>     Mikhael> well:
>     Mikhael> 

If these keys do not generate KeyPress/KeyRelease events in xev, the
problem is either in X that does not recognize these keys, or in some X
application supposedly run in .xinitrc does something about these keys.

If you want to be sure that it's not an FVWM problem, create .xinitrc file
(or its equivalent) with one line "exec xterm -e xev" and rerun X.

Regards,
Mikhael.