Subject: FVWM: themes only with rpm?

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:02:39 +0000

Hmm, didn't see that before now - themes only work with the rpm install
of Fvwm2.
Is there a workaround of that? I hope so. /nikolaj
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:18:25 -0700

> Is there a workaround of that? I hope so. /nikolaj

  related question (or is it the same one?):

  I see that new fvwm 2.4 is already packaged in debian, can we expect
themese to be packaged as .deb (external or as part of debian)?

  IMO themes are very useful becuase they make it easy to change only
parts of config - e.g. I can have my own keyboard shortcuts (that I tend
to customize most and change rarely) and the visuals (that I customize
less (I don't care that muich about exact look) but would like to change
more often - to try out what other people have etc...)

	erik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:11:35 -0400

> Is there a workaround of that? I hope so. /nikolaj

One of the themes developers will eventually provide a comprehensive
answer.  In the mean time, my experience with the themes package
is that RPMs are not required.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Frank Derichsweiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:51:23 +0200

> is that RPMs are not required.
Same for me. I used the .tar.gz sources and followed the INSTALL /
README docs. At a first glance everything works fine. The "rest" of
the Linux box is rpm-based (SuSE 7.1)

HTH
Frank

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:38:49 +0000

> themese to be packaged as .deb (external or as part of debian)?

I think, Alexander Kotelnikov is a more adequate man to respond, but he
seems to only reply in threads about RedHat. :-)  [joke]

The author of this packaging proposal did not respond to me as well:
  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=79428

I think, the same man (or group) should package both fvwm and fvwm-themes,
otherwise small inconsistences or non-synchronizations are possible.

I would prefer not to deal with deb packages since I can't test them,
but if there is a demand and the fvwm packager can't package fvwm-themes,
we may do the same automatical deb packaging as we have with rpm in
both projects. This will lead to 2 fvwm deb packages, one is a clean
package built by "make deb-dist" and another is the existing one.
Similar to what was done here: http://dove.net.au/~awol/fvwm/debian/ .
I would wait for other solutions before entering this situation.

BTW, the current fvwm-themes from cvs supports the Debian / Mandrake
update_menus (if detected) with several user choices.

Regards,
Mikhael.