Subject: FVWM: transient windows

From: Jochen Klenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 02:18:37 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

when I switched to Fvwm 2.4.0, I found that some dialog windows lack a
title bar. Well, a 'Style * DecorateTransient' in my .fvwm2rc cured that,
but the buttons of those windows are still problematic.

First I should describe the setup of my window buttons:
On the left side I have 1 button for the window menu.
On the right side there are 3 buttons: minimize, maximize and close, in
left to right order.

Transient windows have only one button on the right side. In principle
this is fine, but it seems to be the minimize button (i.e. the leftmost of
the right-side buttons). When I push it, the application usually behaves
quite oddly: the dialog disappears, but the program thinks it is still
there, but the dialog doesn't have a window list entry on its own.
Sometimes I can recover by minimizing and unminimizing the whole program.
You see that this button is rather useless on those dialogs. Therefore
I would prefer the close button in these dialogs instead. Formerly I used
Fvwm95 (hence the button layout), and there it worked this way.
By the way, most of the dialogs, that behave like that,  are produced by
the Qt toolkit.

So, what controls which button is displayed in transient windows? Is there
a way to change it?

Thanks in Advance!

Jochen Klenner

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:00:24 +0000

> So, what controls which button is displayed in transient windows? Is there

First, see the following answer (and the message in its followup link):

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0105/msg00238.html

This way you may have all buttons shown, regardless of application hints,
if you wish.

It seems that there is a logical error in your configuration. I.e. your
Iconify button is number 6, Maximize is number 4, but you have (I guess):

  ButtonStyle 2 MWMDecorMax  # instead of 4
  ButtonStyle 4 MWMDecorMin  # instead of 6

This may explain why you remain with Iconify button instead of Close one.
I hope you now have needed pointers to tune your config.

And finally, transient windows should be shown in WindowList like all
other windows. Do you have WindowListSkip for window names in question?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jochen Klenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:53:52 +0200 (MEST)

Problem solved!

> This may explain why you remain with Iconify button instead of Close one.

I had
Style "*" MWMFunctions
Style "*" HintOverride
Style "*" MWMDecor
in my .fvwm2rc, but no MWMDecorMin, MWMDecorMax etc. assigned to buttons.
So Fvwm fell back to its defaults.

When I added the two lines above (and also ButtonStyle 1 - MwmDecorMenu),
I got no buttons whatsoever on the right side of those windows, only
button 1 was still there. I added the line

ButtonStyle 2 - Clear

and the close button appeared. Seems as if Fvwm kept the default flag for
button 2.

> other windows. Do you have WindowListSkip for window names in question?

I guess the assumption that these windows are transients was an error on
my side. I was misled by the fact that they actually don't show a title
bar, if my .fvwm2rc lacks a 'DecorateTransients'.
I don't have a 'WindowListSkip' for these windows, this behavior seems to
be based on a different mechanism. No problem, it is ok that way.

By the way, this program has an excellent support.
Thanks again for the help!

Regards

Jochen Klenner