Subject: FVWM: placement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:52:56 -0500

i don't know if this is a bug or what, but i have the following line
in my .fvwm2rc :

Style "*" ActivePlacement

for the first, maybe, 10 seconds after startup though, it goes all
RandomPlacement on me. after a little, things quiet down, and i am
prompted to place new xterms i invoke.

so should i post my .fvwm2rc, so you guys can see everything, or is
the cure immediately obvious?

also, is there a analagous option to ActivePlacement that would prompt
be to draw out the size of the new window as well? like in plan 9.

thanks,
brendan
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:59:16 -0500

oh, i am using 2.4.0

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:51:01 +0200

> prompted to place new xterms i invoke.

You probably have

  GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart

or

  Global SmartPlacementIsNormal

In your config file.  In 2.4.0, all the placement options were
rewritten and renamed.  The new code is almost, but not
completely compatible with the old code:

 - The GlobalOpts command has been removed.  The placement options
   are now style options.
 - The placement style options were all renamed so that only a
   single placement style has to be used:

     ManualPlacement
     CascadePlacement
     MinOverlapPlacement
     MinOverlapPercentPlacement
     TileManualPlacement
     TileCascadePlacement

 - The old styles and GlobaloptsOptions are replaced with regular
   style commands.

Actually, this means that

  Global SmartPlacementIsNormal
  
is the same as

  Style * TileCascadePlacement

and 

  GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart

is the same as 

  Style * MinOverlapPlacement

in 2.4.  This explains why your style does not work: is it
overridden by the later globalopts line.  You can find a complete
conversion table for the styles in the man page.  Also, it is a
good idea to use one of the new styles, in your case

  Style * ManualPlacement
 
If all this still does not help you, post your configuration file.

> be to draw out the size of the new window as well?

Just press mouse button 2 when placing the wire frame of a new
window.  This finishes placing the window and then allows to
resize it.  (If you are using "Emulate Mwm", use shift-button1
instead).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].