Subject: FVWM: fine-tuning Smart Placement ?

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

Is it possible to tweak the placement algorithms in 2.2.4 short of
hacking the code?  Using

    Style "*"  RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement

I'm getting results that seem slightly odd.  For example, creating
six 80x30 xterms (FvwmIdentify reports Width: 499, Height: 394,
Boundary Width: 6) starting on a blank page, they appear at:

    +2+1   +517+1   +1032+1
    +1+428 +516+428 +1031+428

leaving two-pixel gaps between them.  I would prefer, instead:

    +0+0   +513+0   +1026+0
    +0+425 +513+425 +1026+425

to leave no visible gaps.

After I manually tighten up the arrangement to my preferred layout,
if I create an 80x24 xterm (Width: 499, Height: 316, Boundary Width:
6) it lands at +1+855, which causes its bottom border to spill onto
the next page down by two pixels.  The decision to align at the
bottom instead of to the windows above is fine, but to be flush with
the bottom the Y placement would need to be +853 instead of +855.

In case it matters, this is on Red Hat 6.2.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:58:35 +0200

> Boundary Width: 6) starting on a blank page, they appear at:

Just upgrade to 2.4.0 and it should work fine.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].