Subject: FVWM: controlling screen brightness

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:04:42 +0200

I'd like to control the overall brightness of the monitor, e.g. dim down at
night.

So I make a colormap with my desired colors, and ask fvwm2 to  put this
colormap in effect.
I'm using the prescribed X functions in the Xlib programming manual
(A.Nye).

But fvwm2  seems to ignore the call  ( XSetWindowColormap )  and refuses to
install my
colormap. So nothing happens, not even an error message.

1)  Is there a trick to tell fvwm2 to use a particular colormap ?

2)  Are there other approaches to dim down the ( whole ) monitor in SW ?

thanks
Hans Afloy

( Sun/Solaris 7, X11R6  )

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:33:11 -0400

> 2)  Are there other approaches to dim down the ( whole ) monitor in SW ?

There were questions along the exact sames lines on Usenet
just recently.  Sorry, I couldn't give a definitive answer there either.
You might want to check in with P.Eftevik <[email-masked]> so see if
he made any progress.

Solaris supports the Xcms extension:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/X11/X11R4/DOCS/color/Xcms.text

which looks like it might do what you want, but after reading
thru the above, I'm less sure.

I have seen Fvwm use private colormaps, so I think  Fvwm is doing what
it should.  You would have to post some  code to show  us what you are
doing for further help with XSetWindowColormap.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].