Subject: FVWM: Maximum Window Size

From: Sergio Nasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:42:26 +0200

Hello together,
I'm new to this pretty intriguing WM.

I'm tinkering with the configuration file and I have a question for you:
I configured FvwmButton region at the top of the screen having the
StaysOnTop property  and I'd like to have all the windows use only the
region of the screen not covered by the FvwmButtons module.

Now, if I maximize the windows, the title bar falls under the button region
and it is unaccessible, so that I always have to move each window down and
resize it.

Is there a way to specify a Style for this? Or using the X resources is the
only solution?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sergio Nasi 

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE d- s 0xa-- C++ UL++ P+ L++ E--- W++($) N++ !o K- w--- O? M?>+ V-- PS+>++
PE- Y PGP-- t+ 5? X R tv- b++ DI++ D+ G e h-- r+++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Sergio Nasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 06:49:24 +0200

Here I am again,
I found out about the problem I wrote about below that fvwm provides a
Style command named "MaxWindowSize" that could do the job.
I'm using fvwm 2.2.5 and the parser gives me a "Bad Style parameter" error
when I use it in my .fvwmrc file like this:
Style "*" MaxWindowSize 800 500
(even tried 800p 500p).

Any hints?

Thank you

Regards

Sergio

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:24:31 +0000

> Style "*" MaxWindowSize 800 500

Style option MaxWindowSize was added in 2.3.3, it is not available in
2.2.5.

> > Is there a way to specify a Style for this? Or using the X resources is the

You may use (don't forget 'p' if you want size in pixels):

  Style "*" MaxWindowSize 800p 500p

But this does not prevent any window to overlap FvwmButtons.
Or another (almost the same) solution is to give parameters to Maximize:

  Maximize 800p 500p

Since your FvwmButtons is at the top, there is no acceptable solution for
you in the latest version. If it was at the bottom, the solutions with
limitting a size above would be ok for you.

You may highly reduce chances of overlapping by having your FvwmButtons
some layers up:

  Style FvwmButtons StaysOnTop
  Style "*" MinOverlapPlacement

I think fvwm-ewmh patch at http://fvwm-ewmh.sourcefourge.net/ enables to
define a working area, something that you want, but I don't know for sure.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:35:45 +0200

> define a working area, something that you want, but I don't know for sure.

Yes, you can do something like that

*FvwmNetHints: MyStrut left right top bottom

Where  left,  right, top and bottom are positive or
null integer (pixels) which defined 4 bands:

One on the left of your screen of width left
One on the right of your screen of width right
One on the top of your screen of height top
One on the bottom of your screen of height bottom

Then, if you replace the fvwm Maximize command by the FvwmNetHints
one (SendToModule FvwmNetHints Maximize [options]), when you maximize
it is assumed that your screen is your real screen minus the 4 bands,
the so called "Working Area".

You may also use the experimental option:

*FvwmNetHints: UseWorkingAreaPlacement True

which causes new windows to be placed again to respect
the "Working Area" (you should not use any manual placement).

Olivier

PS: Wait 24 hours before performing any fvwm-ewmh download,
version 0.3 is on the road :o)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jul 2001 10:31:30 -0400

>> I think fvwm-ewmh patch at http://fvwm-ewmh.sourcefourge.net/ enables to
                                                        ^^^

FYI, I _really_ don't recommend that anyone click on the above URL :-/.

Try this one instead:

  http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/
                          ^^
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:53:48 +0000

>   http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/

I failed this trap several times. It is not much harmful for me, because
their javascript does nothing to my browser, but I can see what it does...

I guess I should use sf.net alias to reduce typos.

Regards,
Mikhael.