Subject: FVWM: focus and scrollbars

From: Paul Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:47:28 -0400

sometimes when i think an fvwm2 window has focus (i.e., it's turned to
the focus colors) i still can't type at it, because the mouse pointer
is over the scrollbar for the window.  moving the mouse just a bit into
the window text area fixes things.  thinking about this, i've probably only
seen this with xterms, but it might happen elsewhere -- i forget.

is there a setting that gives focus no matter where the mouse pointer
is?  

for the record, i get the undesired behavior on 2.2.4 on linux.  i get
the behavior i want with fvwm2 version 2.0.46 on solaris, and i think
on a similar vintage version running on linux.

thanks very much...
paul
=---------------------
 paul fox, [email-masked] (arlington, ma, where it's 79.3 degrees)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:32:02 -0400

> on a similar vintage version running on linux.

This is an issue with the Linux version of xterm.

It doesn't happen with the Solaris version of xterm,
or any version of rxvt.

If you want to get xterm fixed, you should contact the authors.

In the mean time, you might want to switch to one of the many
xterm replacements.  rxvt suites me.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Paul Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:56:05 -0400

interesting.  i thought i'd been using the same xterm for a long time
now (i usually build my own, to avoid system incompatibilities), but
i'll take your word for it.

thanks,
paul

 > > is over the scrollbar for the window.  moving the mouse just a bit into
 ...
 > It doesn't happen with the Solaris version of xterm,

=---------------------
 paul fox, [email-masked] (arlington, ma, where it's 78.4 degrees)