Subject: FVWM: catching button down events

From: "Jason McCarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:06:04 -0400

Hello, I'm working on an xfree86 touchscreen driver that works with fvwm.
I'm not sure if this message belongs here or someplace else but I figured
that the window manager developers would probably be the experts to ask.
What I'm trying to do is make the behaviour be that:

If user touches a 'button' (like a close button) a down event is generated
and then immediately after an up event is generated.  But if the user touchs
some other part of the screen (say to drag a window) I only pass a down
event (until user lifts finger).  XFree86 seems to just pass events to the
window manager.  When a button gets pressed I know there is a different
graphics (indented button) that gets displayed, I'd like to 'hook' this(or
something) so that I can tell if the user hit a button or someplace else.

The problem is that now, if i do a down/up mode, the user can't drag, which
kinda sucks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:27:08 -0400

> The problem is that now, if i do a down/up mode, the user can't drag, which

As long as the touchscreen driver generates button down, motion, and
button up events, it should work with fvwm.

I don't understand the part about 'hook'ing the button being depressed.
Fvwm depresses the button when it sees the button down event, but considers
the button clicked when the button is released and a little time passes.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:35:05 +0200

> The problem is that now, if i do a down/up mode, the user can't drag, which

You don't need to hold down the button to drag windows with fvwm.
Try out this binding:

  AddToFunc ClickToMove
  + C Move

  Mouse 1 T A ClickToMove

Now you can click once on a window title to start moving a window.
A second click terminates the operation.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].